Forum Settings
Forums

"Only an idiot would get a tattoo just because it looks cool"

New
Tattoos and your tool level: Deep vs. cool?
Tattoos with meaning (ie. <3mom, bloods, crips, etc.) are baller as hell.
51.2%
Tattoos without meaning that look really cool are baller as hell.
48.8%
127 votes
Feb 11, 2010 9:35 AM

Jun 2009
I've read this, heard it, and it still makes no sense to me. Why do people seem to think "deep" tattoos are somehow more acceptable than ones that lack the not actually that unique, interesting or even remotely original thought behind them. Wouldn't you just see a tattoo and either think "that looks good" or "that looks bad" based on what it looked like rather than what silly, boring reasoning went into it?
Plus all the "thoughtful" tattoos look the fucking same. In a bad way. So yeah, what do you all think about tatools?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 11, 2010 9:39 AM

May 2008
I have other ways of being a weirdo than getting a tattoo.
And I would also like to one day be able to manage to get into one of the Japanese onsen somehow someway.
And I also don't think I could decide on something I want.

It also reduces the amount of oxygen to your skin.
So while I think some of them are interesting looking. I'm in no hurry to do it to myself.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Feb 11, 2010 9:47 AM

Dec 2007
I can't feel bothered to do it. I have absolutely no interest in tattoos, I can't think of any reason to get one, and above all, it's way too permanent for me.

And oh, I can't think of any reason to get one.

PS: I find them repelling, in fact.
Feb 11, 2010 9:49 AM

Nov 2009
I have two tattoos myself and I got them just because I wanted to. No really thought or meaning went behind it though I guess you could make a meaning out pretty much any type of art. I will say this once you get 1 tattoo its addicting to get more.
Feb 11, 2010 10:02 AM
Jan 2010
I don't see why it matters.
Feb 11, 2010 10:09 AM

May 2007
I have a friend that has an arm sleeve of a giant octopus pulling a pirate ship into the sea. No special reason for it, but it looks cool as hell.

What you have to remember about tattoos is that they are an art form. The skill of the artist, the type of needles and ink used, the way the tattoo interacts with the form of your body. And just like any other art, there is art with deep meaning and art that was just made to look pretty. Nothing wrong with either.

Although I do have a problem with tattoo flash. Because it looks bad AND has no meaning. Just...crap. :{

Also, I do have ink. :}
Feb 11, 2010 10:09 AM

Dec 2009
a tattoo is like a scar, once its on there, you cant really remove it. dont you think it would be stupid to scar yourself without thinking it through first? i say almost every tattoo has some sort of meaning or story, and if not, wouldnt that make getting the tattoo pointless in the end?
Feb 11, 2010 10:38 AM

Aug 2009
tattoos that everyone else has are pretty lame. star tats, butterfly tats, chinese symbols that hardly anyone even knows what the fuck they're saying, these are what i consider crap tattoos. it's basically slapping a brand name on your ass. i wonder how shitty someone feels when they get a tattoo and show it off to a party where a handful of other people have the same or similar ones.

i'm planning on getting a tattoo or two, but after MUCH planning and contemplation. also, it will have at least some degree of originality to it -- it won't be anything i've ever seen before on anyone or on design sites, etc.
Feb 11, 2010 10:48 AM
Oct 2009
i suggest add the option 'no tattoos at all are baller as hell'

if is truly meaningful then i will remember it in my heart....if it's something i have to put on my body just in case i forget it then it's not truly meaningful....
Feb 11, 2010 10:50 AM

Feb 2005
A tattoo is basically there for the looks right? It's not like Fable where you get stats bonuses or anything.
So obviously you'll need to like the thing to consider applying it.
I assume people normally don't buy a jacket because it's "deep", but because they like it, and if we ignore the relative permanency of tattoos and the clothing/warmthkeeping ability of a jacket, it's a case of looks for both.
It's not as if people expect your dragon tattoo to represent your spiritual connection to trees and rocks with moss on or depict a actual dragon that you once fought.

But at the same time...
leopardskin said:
tattoos that everyone else has are pretty lame. star tats, butterfly tats, chinese symbols that hardly anyone even knows what the fuck they're saying, these are what i consider crap tattoos.
These kind of "standard" tattoos do seem pretty pointless imo, particularly generic Chinese or Japanese symbols.
Unlike clothes, tattoos are relatively permanent, so I would expect them to be somewhat more unique and interesting than one's pants.
Feb 11, 2010 10:56 AM

Dec 2007
Baman said:
A tattoo is basically there for the looks right? It's not like Fable where you get stats bonuses or anything.

Good one.
Feb 11, 2010 10:57 AM

Sep 2008
I like full body tattoos.

I guess that fits more the "Tattoos without meaning that look really cool are baller as hell" option.
Feb 11, 2010 1:30 PM

Sep 2008
I knew this one girl who i hated, who go the Icon of "Arcane Intelligence" you know the mage buff from World of War Craft, which she drew her self for the tattoo artist to tattoo on her, the thing looked like it was tattooed onto her with a crayon. And her reasoning behind this was because her first class was a Mage, which she only played till like level 12. I really hope she dies from tattoo poisoning, and if that doesn't exist I hope she comes down with the first case of it.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Feb 11, 2010 4:03 PM

Mar 2009
I think tattoos are work of art, so depending on your taste, you might like it, hate it or feel neutral about it.

Some tattoos look good to me, whether they're unique or not. But some tattoos just look horrible.
Feb 11, 2010 6:30 PM

Jun 2008
My sister got a tattoo of a Chinese character that meant "strength." She made a Japanese friend years later who told her it meant "little brother" in Japanese. I still think it's funny.

I don't really care much about tattoos or how a person chose it (unless it was something really bizarre).
Feb 11, 2010 8:07 PM

Jun 2009
Sonic_Moronic said:
Baman said:

Good one.

+2. Very nice. Too bad Fable was an immense disappointment and an unbelievably short game.

CrazyCoolClub said:
i suggest add the option 'no tattoos at all are baller as hell'

if is truly meaningful then i will remember it in my heart....if it's something i have to put on my body just in case i forget it then it's not truly meaningful....

but I'm only wondering which people prefer, design's for design's sake, or designs with some kind of meaning. No designs doesn't really help.

Rampagingcow said:
I don't see why it matters.

I don't see why you posted.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Feb 11, 2010 8:10 PM
Dec 2009
yes they are art

but i find tattoos dirty.
Feb 11, 2010 10:20 PM

May 2007
Why all the tattoo hate? :(

Was just talking to someone and found out our police are allowed to have full sleeve tattoos. Boo yah :D
Feb 12, 2010 1:43 AM

Dec 2007
Were you in the same discussion I was in 2 days ago, wtf?

Anyway, I think that "being cool" is not enough of a reason to mutilate your body. So yeah, it should look nice in 40 years and hold some kind of meaning. Doing it just for doing it is fairly stupid, then you'll just be prone to cancer for no reason besides getting laid by hipsters.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Feb 12, 2010 1:46 AM

Mar 2009
mochiron said:
ParisainGoldfish said:
So yeah, what do you all think about tatools?

Tatools. Tattoos. Tools. Lol. Tattoos and tools. Haha.
Ha.
Oh man.

Rofl! There's this thing called Mini Tatool which is a tassel making tool btw.
Feb 12, 2010 1:50 AM

Aug 2008
I'm pretty much anti-tattoo guy.
So I'd say, if someone does it, it'll better be for some good reason with a meaning, rather than simply for looks.
Feb 12, 2010 2:00 AM

Jan 2010
Getting a tattoo that everyone else has is just a waste of money.

Tats don't necessarily need a meaning, but originality is def a plus.

Considering most tattoos aren't cheap. Shops usually have a minimum of 80 bucks, and if you're getting a sleeve or something not so small it ends up being a few hundred dollars.

So if you're going to spend the money you can get whatever you want, but people think it's stupid if you waste it on something everyone else has.
Feb 12, 2010 3:08 AM

Dec 2007
ScrumYummy said:

It's called personal preference. It's too permanent just to have it for looks. As Esly said, someone better have a good reason to get one, but that's their opinion. I find them repelling anyway.
Feb 12, 2010 9:24 AM

Jan 2008
i got a tattoo on my left shoulder blade of an "magic circle" type thing, something similar to what you would find when a mage casts a magic spell in anime or a video game, and i just thought it looked cool so i got it. if it had some deep meaning, i'd be afraid that meaning might not be there in the years to come and i didn't want to think of something deep and profound thing every time i see it. so i can just go, oh yeah, that looks cool.
Feb 12, 2010 9:36 AM

Dec 2007
I fucking hate it when people get a random kanji tatoo, thinking it's super cool and go around bragging "See this tatoo? It means Dragon!" Like..wooo, good for you.
Feb 12, 2010 9:50 AM

Jun 2009
It's an art. Getting a tattoo is quite painful you know?so people would tend to brag about it, psychologically speaking.
Feb 12, 2010 9:57 AM

Feb 2005
pmpy said:
It's an art. Getting a tattoo is quite painful you know?so people would tend to brag about it, psychologically speaking.
I would feel a scar from a involuntarily inflicted wound would give more grounds on which to brag in relation to pain though.
Feb 12, 2010 10:15 AM

Nov 2009
Colbey said:
yes they are art

but i find tattoos dirty.

Why would a tattoo be considered dirty?

I used to be the same way, I never wanted a tattoo it seemed too permanent for me. All my friends had them and everything, I thought they were nice to look at but not for me. I changed my mind as I grew up. I dont have them in any visible place, they are there for me and anyone else I choose to see it ( only can see them if I wear something that shows my back). I find it unprofessional to have too many or ones that show in non-revealing clothing. Some people get them not only because they want them or like the way they look but to cover up imperfections like scars or stretch marks. I just support tattoos and anyway someone wants to express themself or do because people have their own free will and can chose to do whatever they want with their body.
Feb 12, 2010 10:40 AM

Jun 2009
Baman said:
pmpy said:
I would feel a scar from a involuntarily inflicted wound would give more grounds on which to brag in relation to pain though.

thou should try getting a tattoo. just kidding. :)
Feb 12, 2010 10:48 AM
Oct 2008
Well, I think tatoos are pretty good but not really healthy.
And it doesn't matter if they have or not a meaning - if it looks good it's okay.
^w^
Feb 12, 2010 11:01 AM

Jul 2009
After my last relationship ended (badly and after two kids and 6 years) I felt lost. Wasn't even sure who I was anymore. Somehow, my relationship had completely subsumed me. After I got my life back together, I got a tattoo around my ankle. "Not all who wander are lost." Because I wasn't lost. I was wandering. It has a great meaning for me, and I think that's cooler than walking into a shop, pointing at something on the wall and saying "Give me that one!"
“It’s not so much that I care about what you’re doing, but the idiotic way you’re doing it.”
Vincent Valentine

Feb 12, 2010 11:40 AM

Dec 2007
Charliehsv said:
I fucking hate it when people get a random kanji tatoo, thinking it's super cool and go around bragging "See this tatoo? It means Dragon!" Like..wooo, good for you.

It probably means Curry Rice anyway.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Feb 12, 2010 12:35 PM
Feb 2010
tattoos are what ppl are expressing in their own way heck if someone wants a tattoo who's to stop them if they want then they want one its their life :) heck i know that i want a few tattoos here and there but i wont randomly get one because i like it i would get tattoos if they had meaning......now i'm getting one soon of my dog's name (whom i had for all my 16 years i've been alive) reason why i'm getting her name because she meant everything to me and my family (we had to put her down five weeks ago it was hard for me) i'm getting the tattoo to remeber the good times i had with such a wonderful dog heck the best dog in the entire world.

Feb 12, 2010 12:39 PM

Jan 2009
I had a school assignment last semester about something that involved tattoos. A banner we used for some activity in school, we had to draw different things on it, make them look like tattoos designs. That consumed a lot of my energy, I have newfound respect for tattoo artists and for what they create.
Tattoos can be stunningly beautiful or ugly as hell, that depends on who makes them and on who has them.
Feb 12, 2010 12:55 PM

Jan 2009
I don't like Tattoos, as Chavez said its way to permanent for me and I don't really know why anyone would want to scar their body just to look cooler.
Feb 12, 2010 3:10 PM

Jan 2009
Chavez said:
ScrumYummy said:

It's called personal preference. It's too permanent just to have it for looks. As Esly said, someone better have a good reason to get one, but that's their opinion. I find them repelling anyway.

Portland... is quite a peculiar, if I may say so, place.

Feb 12, 2010 3:32 PM

Feb 2009
Personally, I'd never get one. I think they're disgusting, but don't dislike those who get them. It's whatever for others.

But I don't think I have anything with a "meaning" I want to get inked into my skin. And I do have friends with real reasons behind theirs and ones who just wanted to be "cool."

Yet, there is a phase going around my school of girls getting stars on their foot. Wtf?

Feb 12, 2010 3:34 PM

Apr 2009
years ago when i was really into naruto, i was set on getting an ANBU arm tattoo lol i never have since im still too young atm lol
Feb 12, 2010 4:20 PM

Jul 2008
I think tattoos are a weak way of expressing yourself or interests. I'd personally rather come up with a more original way for my ideas to come across. :)
Feb 12, 2010 5:04 PM

Dec 2008
I hate tattos, I find them repelling too.

Speaking of those Kanji, Hiragana, etc. tatoos, I'd be afraid of getting one, you might think they mean something nice but actually they might be saying "I like taking it in the ass".
Feb 12, 2010 5:18 PM

Jun 2008
Personally I feel like cool tattoos are the ones that people usually end up regretting. What you find cool now, you might not find cool later in your life. Whereas a tattoo with meaning usually doesn't lose that meaning.

However, saying that, I don't have any problems with cool tattoos. I actually love tattoos that are designed nicely on the back spine spanning along the wings of the shoulder. I actually plan to get one like that and to me that would be considered a cool type of tattoo since usually these have not much meaning.
Feb 12, 2010 5:25 PM

Feb 2009
alamarco said:

I actually love tattoos that are designed nicely on the back spine spanning along the wings of the shoulder.

I've seen so many of those. They're kind of tacky to me. But, hell, get whatever makes you happy. :D

Feb 12, 2010 6:21 PM

Feb 2010
it looks cool, but personally i hate having one.
Feb 12, 2010 6:30 PM

Jan 2010
I'd never get one. I'm a pussy when it comes to pain. :|

I personally find a lot of tattoos to be a turn-off on guys, if they're covered in them. Otherwise it doesn't bother me.
Feb 12, 2010 6:47 PM

Jul 2008
A bunch of my friends have intricate tattoos that are full sleeves, cover the majority of the back, and/or the chest.

Personally? I think it's incredibly fucking stupid, and mutilates perfectly good-looking human flesh. In Russia, only sailors and everyone who went to jail used to get them. And considering many of my friends work at white collar jobs and have to cover it up, it's that much sillier and disingenuous to have ink work done.

There is one mild exception however; when I see a really ominous, horrifying tattoo on the body of a scary-looking, badass professional fighter, I don't mind.

Feb 13, 2010 6:56 AM

Feb 2010
I don't think it needs any special meaning. A lot of "meaningful" tatoos look just as crappy an ridiculous as the ones people just get to look cool.

I don't mind tatoos, but I have only rarely seen one look really good.
Feb 13, 2010 8:55 AM

Nov 2009
YoungVagabond said:
A bunch of my friends have intricate tattoos that are full sleeves, cover the majority of the back, and/or the chest.

Personally? I think it's incredibly fucking stupid, and mutilates perfectly good-looking human flesh. In Russia, only sailors and everyone who went to jail used to get them. And considering many of my friends work at white collar jobs and have to cover it up, it's that much sillier and disingenuous to have ink work done.

There is one mild exception however; when I see a really ominous, horrifying tattoo on the body of a scary-looking, badass professional fighter, I don't mind.

I am a US Sailor and we still have to cover them up. If we have any that do show we have to have a waiver for it. Its said to be unprofessional and its very frowned upon.
Feb 18, 2010 12:13 PM

Dec 2008
A friend of mine is planning to cover her arm entirely in Giger, like so:

http://news.bmezine.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/giger-2.jpg

She is fucking Metal.
Feb 19, 2010 4:05 PM

Nov 2009
one of my tattoos
Feb 19, 2010 6:33 PM

Aug 2009
I want a tattoo one of these days, but I do NOT want it to be seen, like maybe on my hip or something. That's what I find disturbing with some people's tattoos. I always see people with full arm tattoos at college and I just think to myself "How is anyone ever going to take you proffesionally and seriously with all that?"

I'm a bandwagon whore

Ow. My Heart. <3
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.