Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (26) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »
Jan 24, 2017 4:42 AM

Jan 2017
@DeadlyRaven Yes, Shogi would count as centered in Japanese culture.
2024 Manga Reading Challenge: Sign Up Discussion

2024 Anime Watching Challenge: Sign Up Discussion

Discord server for MRC/AWC
Jan 24, 2017 7:24 AM

Jul 2016
@AudioTsunami and @Amber_Changing thanks for the rec <3
since GTO is quite long, I will pass. But I will read the rest, thank you both!~

"Happy Unbirthday."

set by ani
Jan 24, 2017 7:41 AM

Sep 2016
"Challenge no.60 - Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant in the discussion thread"

Any kind of genre would do.
Jan 24, 2017 8:01 AM

Sep 2011
EmperorBlitz said:
"Challenge no.60 - Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant in the discussion thread"

Any kind of genre would do.

How about Ran to Haiiro no Sekai
Jan 24, 2017 8:06 AM

Sep 2016

Thanks but already in my PTR list. I want to read something that I still haven't heard of as much as possible.
Jan 24, 2017 8:19 AM

Sep 2011
EmperorBlitz said:

Thanks but already in my PTR list. I want to read something that I still haven't heard of as much as possible.

I'll give it another try (judging from your manga and anime) with :
Bonnouji
or
Ballroom e youkoso

ps: good PTR list by the way
Jan 24, 2017 3:31 PM

Apr 2009
How strict are you guys with the form format?
Currently the form is looking a bit clunky for me, in part due to long item descriptions, others due to long-ish series titles, and I'd like to play around with the format a bit to adjust it.
Can I use a different format for the start/finish date? I'd like to try changing it to something like [<start date>/<end date>] in pace of the current [Started: <date>][Finished: <date>] ...
Or rephrasing the longer item descriptions, would that be ok (since titles should be as they appear in the database)?
Jan 24, 2017 4:34 PM

Mar 2013
RulenneClarissa said:
Currently the form is looking a bit clunky for me, in part due to long item descriptions, others due to long-ish series titles, and I'd like to play around with the format a bit to adjust it.
Can I use a different format for the start/finish date? I'd like to try changing it to something like [<start date>/<end date>] in pace of the current [Started: <date>][Finished: <date>] ...
Or rephrasing the longer item descriptions, would that be ok (since titles should be as they appear in the database)?

It's formatted for you for a reason - people turned in some really ugly/fucked up forms the last two years. Use it as formatted. And definitely don't re-word anything. Use as intended or risk having to edit it all back the correct way.

EmperorBlitz said:

Hoshi no Samidare
Otoyomegatari
Kakukaku Shikajika
Kokou no Hito
Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan
Jan 25, 2017 1:58 AM

Apr 2009
AudioTsunami said:
RulenneClarissa said:

It's formatted for you for a reason - people turned in some really ugly/fucked up forms the last two years. Use it as formatted. And definitely don't re-word anything. Use as intended or risk having to edit it all back the correct way.
So are formats like this, this, this, this and this also a problem?
I understand that reading an ugly list is a huge pain, and I'm asking because I'm having a hard time reading my own challenge post in the current format.
Jan 25, 2017 3:33 AM

Mar 2013
RulenneClarissa said:
AudioTsunami said:

So are formats like this, this, this, this and this also a problem?
I understand that reading an ugly list is a huge pain, and I'm asking because I'm having a hard time reading my own challenge post in the current format.

If you're gonna do what you want regardless of the answer, don't ask the question. Just do you, like those people did. If you want an opinion of someone who's been helping out with the challenge for two years, I already gave it to you.

Also, none of those people changed the wording, just for the record.
Jan 25, 2017 3:57 AM

Apr 2009
AudioTsunami said:
If you're gonna do what you want regardless of the answer, don't ask the question. Just do you, like those people did. If you want an opinion of someone who's been helping out with the challenge for two years, I already gave it to you.

I only made the follow-up because I wasn't sure if you and I were talking of the same thing - I don't want to change the post to 'something unreadable' for the sake of it; I'm merely asking how much freedom I have with the post's format/structure/etc for the submission.

AudioTsunami said:
Also, none of those people changed the wording, just for the record.
Those were examples of people who modified the format, not examples of people paraphrasing.

Thank you for your input on this, I'm not looking for an argument here, just an answer to a question.
Jan 25, 2017 1:41 PM

Feb 2013
Can I use in 'Read a manga with a non-human main character' a manga where there aren't any characters listed? Like this one -> https://myanimelist.net/manga/95121/23_45?q=23%3A45
Jan 26, 2017 3:45 AM

Jan 2017
@RulenneClarissa I'm somewhat strict with it now in the sense that we want to have all the information visible and that's what the form requires. The change you would like to make with the dates is acceptable for the manga challenge, but if you're doing the anime challenge as well it won't work there, I think. @AudioTsunami 's point is that we tried to make the form as easy to read and useful for us because the last 2 years we've had people who used horrible formatting and we had to message back and forth to understand what they had finished, so that's why we're being more strict, but as long as you don't delete the date and keep it at the beginning, you can modify it a little bit.

As for rephrasing the items list... hmm you can do it temporarily until you finish if it's a pain to look at your post now, but you should fix it before turn in because if you didn't, then I'd have to do a bunch of cross-referencing with the main list while checking and it would be time consuming.
MRC_modJan 26, 2017 3:49 AM

Jan 26, 2017 5:47 AM

Sep 2016
aemiliuz said:

I'll give it another try (judging from your manga and anime) with :
Bonnouji
or
Ballroom e youkoso

I'll go for Bonnouji since I've already heard Ballroom e Youkoso. Thanks for the recommendation.
Jan 26, 2017 5:54 AM

Sep 2016
AudioTsunami said:

Hoshi no Samidare
Otoyomegatari
Kakukaku Shikajika
Kokou no Hito
Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan

Seems good ones. I'll be using them for my another entry challenges. Thanks for the recommendation.
Jan 26, 2017 6:13 AM
Jul 2018
I need a recomendation, i would prefer something psychological or mystery but i'm fine with any genre (except ecchi).
Jan 26, 2017 6:21 AM

Mar 2013
Rielf said:
I need a recomendation, i would prefer something psychological or mystery but i'm fine with any genre (except ecchi).

Monster
Erased
Solanin
Oyasumi Punpun
Jan 26, 2017 7:34 AM
Jul 2018
AudioTsunami said:
Rielf said:

Monster
Erased
Solanin
Oyasumi Punpun

Thank you
I have read monster and Oyasumi Punpun and loved them so i will try reading solanin and erased.
Jan 26, 2017 7:46 AM

Mar 2013
Solanin is Asano's best work. It's not really psychological tho. But psychological tag mostly sucks anyway.
Jan 26, 2017 8:27 AM

Jan 2009
@MRC_mod
I've recently found out that Oumagadoki Doubutsuen is based on a oneshot. Also, the more-info page mentions a prototype chapter of Boku no Hero Academia, so maybe this manga can also be added to the list (I've read neither this oneshot nor the manga, so I don't really know).
Jan 26, 2017 11:55 AM
Feb 2010
Please help me with - 60. Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant in the discussion thread

almost any will manga - but no ecchi and I would like it to be finished.
Jan 26, 2017 4:20 PM

Dec 2016
ditto said:
Please help me with - 60. Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant in the discussion thread

Try reading Koe no Katachi or Suiiki
Jan 26, 2017 4:27 PM

Aug 2009
ditto said:

Your To-Read list is looong, but I'll try to find something new:
Liar Game - Long, but completed and impossible to put down.
Raiden 18 - Hiromu Arakawa, 'nuff said.
Ghost Hunt - excellent ghost/mystery stories.
Honey and Clover - very funny, in a subdued way
Saiunkoku Monogatari - stunning art, great and ambitious leads.
Sukima Shiki - cute, fluffy shoujo one-shots.

Ritshiro said:
Can I use in 'Read a manga with a non-human main character' a manga where there aren't any characters listed? Like this one -> https://myanimelist.net/manga/95121/23_45?q=23%3A45

You can always submit missing character info for a manga (click "more characters") - I think it'd even be very welcome, to make the site more complete. Having said that, I'll have to leave it to others judgement if a ghost is officially non-human enough for that category.
Jan 26, 2017 11:34 PM

May 2010
Need help with #60 - the recommendation one.

I have three restrictions though:

1. less than 30 volumes (have mercy!!)
2. Not in my MAL
3. Must be licensed/released in the US

Thank you for your recs!
Jan 27, 2017 12:10 AM

Mar 2013
@4evaDC

Solanin
March story
Kuroko No basket(only 10 volumes in English I believe).
Jan 27, 2017 12:16 AM

May 2010
AudioTsunami said:
@4evaDC

Solanin
March story
Kuroko No basket(only 10 volumes in English I believe).

6 vols on paperback so far. I've been waiting for Kuroko to hit 10 before I start, haha.

Thanks for the recs.
Jan 27, 2017 2:51 AM

Mar 2013
Oh, 4th and 5th bundle weren't out yet. Silly amazon. Ayako and Opus are also options.
Jan 27, 2017 4:51 AM

Jan 2017
Selphie64 said:
Ritshiro said:

You can always submit missing character info for a manga (click "more characters") - I think it'd even be very welcome, to make the site more complete. Having said that, I'll have to leave it to others judgement if a ghost is officially non-human enough for that category.

You can definitely follow this suggestion, but if the fact that the character is non-human is something I can gather from the summary, then I'll accept it. Ghosts will be counted as non-human.

Jan 27, 2017 10:03 AM

May 2010
AudioTsunami said:
Oh, 4th and 5th bundle weren't out yet. Silly amazon. Ayako and Opus are also options.

It's cool. It'll hit 10 by the end of the year :)
Jan 27, 2017 12:39 PM

Sep 2011
MRC_mod said:
Selphie64 said:

You can definitely follow this suggestion, but if the fact that the character is non-human is something I can gather from the summary, then I'll accept it. Ghosts will be counted as non-human.

Except in this case

And technically, shouldn't the ghost of a human still be human; you don't become something else by dying, you just take the next step in the cycle of life... or death in that case.
aemiliuzJan 27, 2017 12:45 PM
Jan 28, 2017 2:23 AM

Aug 2015
Excuse my stupidness lol but I didn't understand. Are ongoing managas allowed for this challenge?
Jan 28, 2017 7:25 AM

Mar 2013
Okami3006 said:
Excuse my stupidness lol but I didn't understand. Are ongoing managas allowed for this challenge?

yup

From the FAQ: "'Can I use webtoons and/or ongoing manga?'-- Sure, just remember that if they are ongoing, you must be up-to-date with the latest chapter (either raws, released through scanlation or print depending on what you are using) when you declare your challenge complete."
Jan 28, 2017 10:58 PM

May 2013
60. Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant in the discussion thread

Pls help me comrades. Anything will do as long as it has finished publishing
Jan 29, 2017 6:35 AM

Mar 2015
Rieze said:
60. Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant in the discussion thread

Sanctuary

Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant in the discussion thread

Same as Rieze, anything will do as long as it is finished. ^-^
--my heart's a hieroglyph, it speaks in tongues
Jan 29, 2017 7:44 AM

Mar 2013
Lionesscre said:
Rieze said:

Sanctuary

Read a manga recommended to you by another Manga Reading Challenge participant in the discussion thread

Same as Rieze, anything will do as long as it is finished. ^-^

Kakukaku Shikajika.
Natsu no Zenjitsu
Jan 29, 2017 9:49 AM

Mar 2015
@AudioTsunami
Thank you for the recs, I will read both!
--my heart's a hieroglyph, it speaks in tongues
Jan 29, 2017 1:05 PM

Jan 2017
@aemiliuz Hmm, to me the ghost of a human is still a ghost. That said, even what you said under the spoiler that counts as non-human to me because it falls under a supernatural category.

Jan 29, 2017 2:38 PM

May 2013
@Lionesscre Thank you very much!
Jan 29, 2017 6:18 PM

Feb 2013
I lost the screencap that prooved the keyword i got for this challenge "65. Choose a manga from the predictive search using a generated random word". Should I do the challenge again with another word?
Jan 30, 2017 4:29 AM
Pecadorrr

Oct 2014
I need a manga rec for #60. I'm doing an only yuri/shoujo ai challenge, so make sure that your rec is from one of the genres. Also, don't recommend me anything in my Plan to Read list (most if not all of them are planned items for other challenges), or something in the top 1000 manga (there are literally 5 that I can use, and I don't want to run out of options). Oh and, although I may accept them anyway, I'd prefer that it's not on-going.

Also, what can I do with #66 Read something recommended by MAL or Manga+? Next month, I'll probably reach the point where I have read more manga being shoujo-ai/yuri genre than not being of that genre, but I still don't have even one valid recommendation for my challenge :/

MRC_mod said:
The change you would like to make with the dates is acceptable for the manga challenge, but if you're doing the anime challenge as well it won't work there, I think.

@RulenneClarissa I don't know about the rest of the examples she gave, but the first one shouldn't prove a problem in the anime challenge, since it's the one in the Excel. Also, I don't think the others would get rejected, the structure is the same and it's readable. Also, keep in mind colours and spacing. Something like this is unreadable in my opinion.

And about paraphrasing... I wouldn't do that, it must be a pain to correct later.
Conde_MohrJan 30, 2017 4:44 AM

Jan 30, 2017 8:51 AM

Dec 2008
@Conde_Mohr

I didn't see these ones on your manga list, so I'm recommending them for your #60 challenge:

Aoi Hana

Candy Boy
Jan 30, 2017 9:36 AM
Pecadorrr

Oct 2014
Kino_no_Tabi said:
@Conde_Mohr

I didn't see these ones on your manga list, so I'm recommending them for your #60 challenge:

Aoi Hana

Candy Boy

Aoi Hana is one of my candidates for #34 (Ranked top 1000), but I can make do with Candy Boy, although I've already watched the anime. Thanks!

EDIT: It seems that the manga is a continuation of the anime, so it's even better for me :D

Jan 30, 2017 12:36 PM

Sep 2014
Hey! I'd highly appreciate recommendations for challenge #60

Complete Romance(or)Thing Similar to Liar game would be preferred. I'll also accept your favorite manga.

Thanks for the help, and happy manga reading!

Jan 30, 2017 12:42 PM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
Hello~
Looking for a recommendation for #60 (recommended to you by another participant). I'm looking for a light read. If possible not longer than 30 chapters. As for the theme/genres I'm pretty open to anything. I do dislike horror and I'm fond of my nonsensical BLs... weirdly I also enjoy some teen-school-romance (just read Strobe Edge and greatly enjoyed it). So pretty much give me something you previously enjoyed and it's not that well know. If you have a hentai that I can find online then trow that too. Really, looking for something different and easy to read.

If you check my plan to read list, then nothing from there. It would be also great if I get several recommendations (just in case) from different people ♥

Oh right, if someone could give me an idea of one of the Gekigas (short one) to read online I will be grateful~

FHunterxFHunter said:
Hey! I'd highly appreciate recommendations for challenge #60
Complete Romance(or)Thing Similar to Liar game would be preferred. I'll also accept your favorite manga.
Thanks for the help, and happy manga reading!

I have a few, not complete romance but they are good
https://myanimelist.net/manga/102/Fruits_Basket
https://myanimelist.net/manga/28393/Sakamichi_no_Apollon
https://myanimelist.net/manga/448/Tenshi_Kinryouku
https://myanimelist.net/manga/3436/Cutie_Boy
https://myanimelist.net/manga/6520/Hana_to_Akuma
SheyCroixJan 30, 2017 12:48 PM

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

Jan 30, 2017 3:34 PM
Feb 2016
For challenge 65. Choose a manga from the predictive search using a generated random word. It is not marked with a (*) so I don't know what to do if the manga has less than 5 volumes (as I am going for the "Prodigious" title). Also what do I do if I can't get a hold of any of the manga?
NexlinJan 30, 2017 3:37 PM
Jan 30, 2017 11:21 PM

Nov 2007
Hello Everyone,
I'm looking for recs for #60. I'm completely open to anything as long as the series has been completed.
Jan 31, 2017 12:06 AM
Jul 2018
Ajisaitea said:
Hello Everyone,
I'm looking for recs for #60. I'm completely open to anything as long as the series has been completed.

You have Please Save My Earth in your favorites?

11-nin Iru is a manga that influenced the creation Please Save My Earth.
And Tsuki no Ko is another manga influenced by 11-nin Iru.
Thus I tend to put those 3 manga in the same bag, since they share some similar thematics and atmospheric elements, character development too maybe.
Although I personally think that Please Save My Earth was the weakest of the 3 (mostly because it drags out), so maybe you'll have the exact opposite reaction of mine, dunno.
Jan 31, 2017 12:23 AM

Mar 2013
SheyCroix said:
Hello~
Looking for a recommendation for #60 (recommended to you by another participant). I'm looking for a light read. If possible not longer than 30 chapters. As for the theme/genres I'm pretty open to anything. I do dislike horror and I'm fond of my nonsensical BLs... weirdly I also enjoy some teen-school-romance (just read Strobe Edge and greatly enjoyed it). So pretty much give me something you previously enjoyed and it's not that well know. If you have a hentai that I can find online then trow that too. Really, looking for something different and easy to read.

If you check my plan to read list, then nothing from there. It would be also great if I get several recommendations (just in case) from different people ♥

Oh right, if someone could give me an idea of one of the Gekigas (short one) to read online I will be grateful~

Lady Snowblood is the easy Gekiga recommendation.

All You Need is Kill is an easy and short read. It's a big dumb action manga.
The first story of Shibatte Nabutte♥ is very good.
Jan 31, 2017 1:29 AM

Aug 2009
SheyCroix said:
Hello~

Seeing as you want lots of recommendations, I'll give a few I like that should match the criterias listed: Tomodachi no Hanashi is a very nice, friendship focused little read, as is Warau Kanoko-sama. +α no Tachiichi is an unusual take on the girl-transporter-to-anoter-world story, and Vanilla Ice is one of the better manwha I've come across. But really, if you're willing to go just a tad beyond the 30-chapter limit, you should read some Aya Nakahara, either Dame na Watashi ni Koishite Kudasai or Lovely Complex.
Jan 31, 2017 6:21 AM

Nov 2007
lady_freyja said:
Ajisaitea said:
Hello Everyone,

You have Please Save My Earth in your favorites?

11-nin Iru is a manga that influenced the creation Please Save My Earth.
And Tsuki no Ko is another manga influenced by 11-nin Iru.
Thus I tend to put those 3 manga in the same bag, since they share some similar thematics and atmospheric elements, character development too maybe.
Although I personally think that Please Save My Earth was the weakest of the 3 (mostly because it drags out), so maybe you'll have the exact opposite reaction of mine, dunno.

Yes I love PSME. I saw the OVA first and became attached.

Thank you for these, I'll read both of them.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (26) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

378 by Hexcellion »»
4 hours ago

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

5 by nishant0 »»
6 hours ago

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

21 by nishant0 »»
6 hours ago

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

13 by bucciest »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » What is your favorite shounen arc?

HM0710 - Sep 6, 2021

17 by Rhaelynne »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.