Forum Settings
Forums

Whats your top 3 anime? So I can watch them at a later date.

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 25, 2016 7:59 PM
Dec 2016
Hunter x Hunter

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Dec 25, 2016 8:03 PM

Oct 2014
Shoryu said:
codephat said:
I don't really like ranking my favorites, though my personal favorite is NGE for many reasons.
It's hard to find shows that explore characters as well. It's a shame, really.

Was kinda avoiding to post in this thread, but wanted to echo that's basically my sentiments as well.
Getting to the core of a character's motives, desires, and inner and locked away secrets left such a strong impression on me. It's a very personal story given how well I could relate to them because of how much of these characters were exposed. I seriously have not seen anything done in any other anime, or live action, yet.

Though, that's part of its charm too and what let's it stand far and apart from anything else really. Everything else, I've seen some top notch stories and characters, but still none compare to how NGE made me really turn inward and reflect the how and why I functioned as I did.

depressive self reflection after seeing evangelion were constant for me the way this show motivated to try to understand and improve myself is indescribable
Dec 25, 2016 8:46 PM

May 2015
To the Recommendations Forum!

Cross Ange: Tenshi to Ryuu no Rondo - Because it doesn't care.
White Album 2 - Because Drama.
Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai - Because it expands dong.
Dec 25, 2016 9:29 PM

Jul 2016
1. Steins Gate
2. Gintama
3. Monster
Dec 25, 2016 9:30 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Keijo!!!!!!!!
Keijo!!!!!!!!
Keijo!!!!!!!!
Dec 25, 2016 9:38 PM

Apr 2015
Naruto.One Piece.Bleach
I Love Naruto Because I Have Been Watching It Ever Since I Was A Kid.It Has A Special Bond With Me.
One Piece Iam Currently Watching And Loving It...
Bleach I Finished A Year Ago.It Was Also Pretty Amazing....
Dec 25, 2016 9:39 PM

Jan 2013
Thread Moved from Anime Discussion

Removed spam, and other off-topic posts.
Dec 25, 2016 11:00 PM

Jan 2015
1. Kuragehime
2. RDG: Red Data Girl
3. Kobato.

I don't watch anime anymore because I feel like i've had my feel. More of a manga person now. I have a lot of favories that could change second and third place and number 1 is number 1 because the anime is one of the very few anime out there that focus on fashion and i like the uniqueness.
Subscribe to my channel: Ashley Moonli
Dec 25, 2016 11:37 PM

Oct 2014
Well, which three to pick out of my top 10 is rather difficult because none are perfect. ...And weighing the small imperfections vs. what they all do very well in order to pick just three is practically impossible considering the range of genres represented in my top 10. However, for today I'll go with these:

Maria-sama ga Miteru -- All four seasons as it's pretty much a continuum. Setting, personalities, art, voice acting, the drama, the feels. The dialog. The understated humor. An unobtrusive OST that more than gets the job done. More shameless fangirling by me here and here.

Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen -- A sentimental fav since it was like my 2nd anime or so. Still a masterpiece after all these years with a haunting OST, deep characters and the no-holds-barred fight scenes. Both brutal and tender moments. Dub as good as the sub (the only title I'll admit that for). The TV series after it is certainly fine but its thrust is as a PG13 TV battle shounen whereas Tsuiokuhen is a standalone action/drama for mature audiences (or at least the not-faint-of-heart).

Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu -- This one is a sequel movie that requires watching the TV series to appreciate. Said series has some excellent episodes but has some less than stellar ones as well; mainly in what passes as "season 2" (the bolded episodes in that linked list). Anyone investigating this franchise will eventually run afoul of the "Endless Eight" arc (and the shaky "Sigh of..." arc following it).

My advice is skip the middle six episodes of "Endless Eight" to get to the movie faster.

As for the movie, all is forgiven the studio for its facepalming the "Endless Eight". Apparently the dub is as good as the sub (though it's anathama for me to consider hearing anything other than the seiyus' absolutely perfect body of work here). The OST, writing, art, emotional roller-coaster ride is a breathless experience (having gotten to know the characters from the series beforehand -- hence the requirement to watch the TV series (sans most of "Endless Eight")).

Click my profile for my other top six (you've already seen Toradora!) as perhaps one of those may appeal more than the above.
8oomerDec 25, 2016 11:43 PM
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

Dec 26, 2016 5:51 AM

Jan 2014
From seeing your anime list it seems that you liked anime which has more of Slice Of Life tag and feels/the struggle to keep going on.
The following anime should have at least those two categories :
Hanasaku Iroha
Tamako Market, ended with Tamako Love story
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
Kyoukai No Kanata
Barakamon
Shirobako
Bakuman

And i really recommend you to finish Hyouka first, its more of a character driven story and i hope that just suits your taste.

Kininarimasu! Kininarimasu! Kininarimasu! Kininarimasu! Kininarimasu!
Dec 26, 2016 5:53 AM

Jul 2014
Cowboy Bebop
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Take care of yourself

Dec 26, 2016 6:01 AM
Jun 2016
Excluding what you have already seen or in your ptw, my top 3 are
One Piece
Code Geass
Hunter x Hunter
Dec 26, 2016 6:40 AM
Jul 2015
My Top 3 are :

Legend Of The Galactic Heroes

Kara No Kyoukai

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Dec 26, 2016 7:10 AM

Mar 2016
Baccano
FMA: Brotherhood
Serial Experiments Lain
Dec 26, 2016 7:15 AM

Dec 2015
Mushishi
Aoi Bungaku Series
Black Jack

Dec 26, 2016 7:16 AM
Sep 2014
Clannad

Angel Beats

Major
Dec 26, 2016 8:14 AM

Nov 2016
Log Horizon

Kuroshitsuji

Overlord
Dec 26, 2016 8:41 AM

Jun 2015
I'll just list ones not here.

1. Suisei no Gargantia. At best it's an anime about self discovery and finding your place in society. If you look at it literally, it's about a boy from a space civilization who finds himself in Earth and shocked that life still exists in it.

2. Ryuugajou no Nanana. Mind games and hidden agendas. People might say it's trying too hard or is pulling itself back, but it's main theme is adventure a la Indiana Jones style, so, what do you expect.

3. Kyousogiga. It's a heartwarming tale (don't let the chaotic start fool you) about family and reconnecting bonds.
Dec 26, 2016 8:57 AM
Jul 2015
Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch
K Project
Shugo Chara!
Dec 26, 2016 10:21 AM

Mar 2016
Parasyte the maxim
attack on titan
code geas
yes....yes I did

Dec 26, 2016 10:36 AM

Mar 2016
Toradora!
Hunter X Hunter 2011
Boku dake ga Inai Machi
Dec 26, 2016 10:41 AM

Jan 2013
Ashita no Joe
GTO
Kotonoha no Niwa
Dec 26, 2016 10:59 AM

Jan 2013
1. Durarara!!
2. Bungou Stray Dogs
3. Shinsekai Yori
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 26, 2016 11:16 AM
Jul 2018
Higurashi
Hunter X Hunter
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu

I would have said Kill La Kill but you already watched it. I also recommend Seto no Hanayome.
Dec 26, 2016 11:23 AM

Apr 2016
hellsing
Kingsglaive: Final
Fantasy XV
bleach

Fools set the rules in this world. Just take a look
around. It's undeniable.
Noctis

Dec 26, 2016 11:33 AM

Apr 2016
Gintama
Gintama'
Gintama°
Dec 26, 2016 11:34 AM

Nov 2016
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
Grisaia Series
Tokyo Ghoul
Dec 26, 2016 11:45 AM
Sep 2016
1).... Code Geass: you won't waste your time with it ;)
2).... Attack on titans: great animation .. great story .. great charecters .. great anime
3).... Dragon Ball Z: Everyone know this :D
Dec 26, 2016 11:47 AM

Jun 2015
Clannad AS
Death note
School Days
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Dec 26, 2016 12:17 PM

Mar 2014
You already watched FMAb so

Psycho-Pass
Sakamichi no Apollon
Steins;gate
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 26, 2016 12:43 PM

Oct 2016
starlessn1ght said:
#1- Non Non Biyori (iyashikei at its finest. Used to watch this at Monday nights. I spent all day at school and got stressed, so when I got home, before sleeping, I'd watch it. It was like a dream; when you finish watching, it's kind of depressing, as you realize it was only an anime and your life sucks hard compared to it.)

#2- SAO (Haters gonna hate, but Aincrad was the best thing ever imo. Haven't seen any other anime that was able to be that good. Epic soundtrack, refreshing story, wonderful characters, emotionally expressive animation, gorgeous art, everything was there. The other arcs weren't as good, but they were much better than most anime out there)

#3- Never found anything that deserved this spot.

I'd say SAO's on my first place, but we think alike, aicnrad was the bast arc so far but I'm curious about alicization though. :D

Back to topic:

1.SAO
The series has so many epic moments where I got goosebumps all over my body, but I also have to say that the romance goes a bit too far, but the moments repay you for that immediately, so the people that haven't watched it, GO WATCH IT! In order to sum it up, I can only say it's amazing.

2.I'm not too sure but I think the second place goes to Shokugeki no Soma, mainly because I like it when the mc's already skilled and enrolls into a new school where's he's underestimated etc. and another fact I like is that the person that despises the mc the most worships the mc's father, but the person doesn't know that it's the father of the mc (well if we go as far as the anime), it's those epic encounters/information that make a anime worth watching. :)

3.I've watched too many animes to decide it precisely so I'll take the first one that popped up in my head. No Game No Life, it's basically as good as shokugeki if not even better, so you could say they both share the second place.

I also got some recommendations for you.

Highschool DxD
seirei tsukai no blade dance
Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut
Accel World
One Piece
Gintama
World Trigger

This list could go on for ever so I leave it at that for now, it also depends on the genre you're looking for anyway.
Dec 26, 2016 12:43 PM
Jul 2014
Code geass
Steins gate
Beck
Dec 26, 2016 1:01 PM

Nov 2012
InuYasha
Toradora
Gakkou no Kaidan
Dec 26, 2016 2:32 PM

Oct 2011
since cowboy bebop and lb refrain have already been mentioned ill give my alternative

1.GetBackers
2.Hachimitsu to Clover
3.SKET Dance

"When the time is yours,
the future is waiting,
The person you become,
and the people you're creating.
"
Dec 26, 2016 2:37 PM
Captain Eyepatch

Dec 2015
1. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. And I thought nothing could be better than Avatar the Last Airbender.. what was I wrong.
2. Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni. The first and only anime to make me scared. This is how horror & mystery should be.
3. Monster Musume. This one.. ehhhm.. okay, I just found a new fetish ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Its a unique take on the harem genre, with likeable characters and a interesting concept.
Dec 26, 2016 5:07 PM

Dec 2016
1. Hunter x Hunter (1999): The remake is more popular and got more approval because of being strictly faithful to the manga, but personally I found the original version to have much more heart and charm and had a TERRIFIC OST which played a major role in setting the atmospheres and vibes. The best I've heard.

2. Saint Seiya (1986): It's arguably the father of the shonens, and it's not about just mindless fights, they do have strong meanings behind them, and it's a great epic story with also a very good OST. It baffles me how underrated here in MAL it is.

3. FMAB, many have already mentioned here so I won't get into further details.
Dec 26, 2016 6:41 PM

Dec 2016
Judging from what you've watched...

Charlotte: i heard it's similar to Angel Beats? (favourite one so far)

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo: i turned to this after Toradora

Hataraku Maou-sama!: just a random comedy i watched (thought you might like it)
DyemoDec 26, 2016 6:46 PM
Dec 26, 2016 7:46 PM
Dec 2011
Dragon Ball Z
Death Note
Gintama
Dec 26, 2016 7:57 PM

Dec 2015
My favorite Anime is Welcome to the NHK

other anime I recommend are Clannad and since allot of people suggested hunter x hunter(2011)(which I fucking love), Berserk(1997) is another great anime
hi
Dec 26, 2016 8:19 PM

Nov 2013
One punch man - crazy entertaining, funny, epic characters and battles.
Monster - thrilling story, mystery, music, atmosphere
Hajime no ippo - inspiring underdog story
Dec 27, 2016 2:21 AM

Nov 2016
Seeing as you loved Toradora which is my third favourite then you should watch:
1. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
2. Steins;Gate
4. Nichijou
Dec 27, 2016 2:44 AM

Apr 2016
i'm into fantasy, so:
1. kono subarashii sekai ni shukufuku wo! - otaku NEET mc dies a laughable death and was given the chance to reincarnate to a fantasy world, bringing along a "godess" (he thought it was a good idea, but she turns out completely useless). so the mc has to live his life from complete scratch with no money and no skill whatsoever. the anime is nothing serious, not about some OP "chosen-one" mc like the one in SAO. if you want a good laugh, i'd seriously recommend this one.

2. Berserk (1997) - historical-inspired anime on a more serious tone. if you don't mind 1990's animation, this is good for you. blood everywhere, but there's little to no gore.

3. Magi: labyrinth of magic and Magi: kingdom of magic - has character development, i could list why i love this anime, but unfortunately i'm running out of time.
Dec 27, 2016 3:25 AM

Jun 2016
Clannad + Clannad AS
Spice and Wolf
The Monogatari series

"The sun is my enemy, but the moon has been good to me."
Dec 27, 2016 4:21 AM

Oct 2016
Haven't seen too much, but:

1. JoJo
2. Kaiji
3. Fate/Zero or Mushishi
Dec 27, 2016 6:43 AM

Feb 2015
-JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
-Barakamon
-FMAB
Dec 27, 2016 9:04 AM

Jul 2010
My top 3 atm are

Gintama
Gundam 00
Yuri on Ice
Smile to the world and the world smiles back
Dec 27, 2016 9:52 AM

May 2015
Spice & Wolf
Bakemonogatari
Re:Zero
Dec 27, 2016 10:39 AM

Apr 2015
3. Neon Genesis Evangelion/End of Evangelion. (1995, 1997)
Why? Fascinating battle choreography, danm good art/animation for the time (When the budget isn't going to hell), A cast of characters that feel both human and relatable, and a complex yet engaging story.
I'd also recommend it simply because of how much it helped to changed the anime landscape.
2. Serial Experiments Lain (1998)
Why? Bizarre yet enthralling delivery, in both the art and sound design. An amazing look at what the possible future could have been, a look that wasn't all that far off. Very dense in philosophy and psychology, in relation to the internet and the world of today.
1. Puella Magi Madoka Magica/Madoka Magica Rebellion (2011, 2013)
Why? One of the best soundtracks every designed, memorable art styles (and an effective use of multiple styles at that), a well written story that ties up nearly all loose ends in the series, carried by complex characters that are used efficiently without being dragged on about. Follow this with a character study/deconstruction told equal parts visually and audibly in the Rebellion movie. Both series have multiple layers of interpretation that it takes multiple re-watches to effectively grasp them all.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Dec 27, 2016 11:10 AM

Aug 2016
1. Mob Psycho 100
2. Hunter x Hunter 2011 - damn mainstream but deserved
???

Mob Psycho 100 because no one here likes it as much as i do
and that's why i f%#ing love it so much
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» anime suggestions

StardustCursader - 3 hours ago

1 by E-Satie »»
1 hour ago

» Anime where main character have girlfriend but later love someone else?

Mione48 - Mar 23, 2022

6 by Khashishi »»
1 hour ago

» Need help finding a Manga

MotoMoto416 - 3 hours ago

0 by MotoMoto416 »»
3 hours ago

» Anime/ Manga to binge

theD00mGuy - 9 hours ago

4 by Shion_Rosenheim »»
4 hours ago

» RomCom Suggestions for someone who's seen a lot of em

Benassiesto - Apr 25

14 by Edocchi »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.