Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 18, 2016 2:18 PM

May 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Very meh. Why are Megami Tensei adaptations so bad. The ending theme was...okay i guess? That's about it.

I remember playing this game and couldn't get through the first 5 minutes of the game. Very difficult game D:
Jul 12, 2017 10:46 PM
Jan 2008
So I was playing Megami Tensei and took notice that the events of the video game happen after this anime which is adapted from the novel, and of course I had to check it out.

This OVA had something going for it but ultimately failed to become anything more than average, mainly because of the bizarre pacing and that the story was left incomplete. It was nice to see the Cerberus though.

Supposedly after defeating Loki; Nakajima and Yumiko go on to fight Set and whatever happens in the second novel. Then the game starts as the apocalypse comes closer they must rescue Izanami from the hellish maze of the demon lord Lucifer. With his portable computer and the summoning program Nakajima has the power to recruit demons to aid them in battle and Yumiko is the one who can use different types of magic.
Dec 13, 2017 2:59 AM

Jan 2011
That was better than I was expecting. More coherent too.
Oct 4, 2018 8:44 AM

Dec 2015
This was meh, but I still hope for a decent anime adaptation of the novels someday.
Oct 29, 2018 5:16 PM

Mar 2014
Animation and presentation was great! I also really liked the soundtrack.
However, the story was very basic, as were the characters. Not much of anything going on with either one, just some surface-level writing. The whole thing seemed mostly like it was just an excuse to showcase some cool looking stuff. Not sure if the light novel differed in this regard. It's also a shame that they weren't able to continue this and just left it on a cliffhanger like that.

Anyway, I still thought it was pretty enjoyable despite all that. A fun little horror OVA that's still worth checking out for it's visuals and horror elements. Good viewing around Halloween time for sure. ^_^
::End of Transmission::

Apr 14, 2019 6:50 AM

Dec 2008
This was just the epitome of the old pre 90s era of anime. A single ova with that sound and music from the high age of video gaming OLD SCHOOL COMPUTERS AND TECH! I LOVE IT! INteresting how ahead of its time this ova was. I was never into the whole franchise of the digital devil stuff, but I wish I had seen this ova back in the day. Nowadays we are all overly familiar with what hard drives and cpu and gpu and Ram and Rom and integrated circuity is, along with virtual reality and all the other tech ideas under the sun. Sitll Ia liked this, it had really good shading, coloring was simple but realistic without being overly bright and chipper. It all fit fairly well. Even the giant databanks of massive computers in a high school. That seemed legit lol. BUt it always comes down to somethign trying to enter into our world...through sex. BUt that is the easiest way to transfer life. Seems legit. But literally eating a chick out...TO THE DEATH! And the near heavy metal like musical score, that, though not as rock, was like watching something from longer before, like the 70s. And the the gore...Thats metal! And one horny, thirsty ass lady that gave up on teaching by the end lol :P 6.5/10
Jun 17, 2020 4:45 AM
Mar 2019
Local man summons the devil, realizes he fucked up and becomes god.
Jul 10, 2020 10:56 AM

Jul 2020
Guess I'll necropost, too
While as a fan of MegaTen I like the show , it kinda sucks if you didn't read DDS:MT beforehand. Really wouldn't recommend it to someone other than hardcore hackers of the series. Kinda sucks that lots of disturbing moments were cut, butehwhatever
Lend me 50,000 yen?
Jul 27, 2020 4:47 AM

Jul 2015
I wonder what the hell Nakajima expected when dealing with a real demon. Pretty culty school they got, not only students and teachers participating in the rituals but also some descendant of some god

Aug 20, 2020 10:18 PM

Jul 2020
Nothing. He was braindead from the get-go. I mean, summoning random demons (or was he intended to summon Loki?) and thinking that you'll be ok is a stupid move.
Lend me 50,000 yen?
Aug 28, 2021 2:25 PM

Jan 2017
Just because you like the game doesn't mean you have to like this ova. I feel like the ratings are inflated because of all the people treating this as a bonus to games made in the future. As a standalone this really sucked and they could have done better
Oct 10, 2021 10:54 AM

Jul 2020
sourfrog said:
As a standalone this really sucked and they could have done better

Is there a room for improvement? After all, it's a pretty straight-forward adaptation of the novel.
Lend me 50,000 yen?
Oct 13, 2021 6:32 PM
Jul 2018
This was an incoherent mess. So bad I don't have any more words. 2/10 because it had good art at least.

AdamKadmon said:
sourfrog said:
As a standalone this really sucked and they could have done better

Is there a room for improvement? After all, it's a pretty straight-forward adaptation of the novel.

The novel must have been a steaming pile of shit then.
Oct 14, 2021 12:43 AM

Jul 2020
HeroicIdealism said:

It was a cool concept for 1986, like summoning demons through PC and such. Though the plot in the first arc really sucks. Without the second and the third arcs, the story isn't something to talk about. Though the series would give off a lot of Devilman vibes by this point.
Lend me 50,000 yen?
Oct 14, 2021 12:44 AM

May 2013
HeroicIdealism said:
This was an incoherent mess. So bad I don't have any more words. 2/10 because it had good art at least.

AdamKadmon said:

Don't even get me started on the dumpster fire that is the 3rd novel. Lol.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Feb 5, 2022 4:54 AM
Big-Man Stoic

Mar 2021
I couldn't stop laughing when he was like,"Protect this ceremony, electronic beast Cereberus!"
Apr 24, 2022 12:11 PM

Jul 2011
I like the SMT games but this anime is just meh.
And the plot is confusing and vague too. Maybe the novel is clearer about it.
Dec 23, 2022 2:34 PM
Jun 2020
A must watch if you like smt/persona.
Jan 28, 2023 7:33 AM
Dec 2017
i wish we had a smt anime thats like edgerunners.

Jun 1, 2023 12:50 PM

Apr 2023
Yeah, this should have been adapted as a tv series, than so be it a ova.

I love the broody atmosphere of it though.

Yesterday, 3:55 PM

Aug 2017
The story is interesting, I liked the first half, the second half was just random fight scenes and a cliffhanger, too bad though, if they kept a nice pace like in the first half it would've been better, I'll give it a 6.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.