Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 30, 2016 12:35 AM

Apr 2016
Anime and manga are obviously very different. With anime, you have things like animation and voice acting to take into account when it comes to rating. But with manga, you don't have these to think about. So aside from things that both share, sure as plot and characterization, what sorts of manga exclusive things should one think about when giving it a rating?
Nov 30, 2016 12:54 AM

Nov 2014
I'm beginner when it comes to reading manga, but I noticed I like it when panels are easy to read. I usually don't stop too long to look at pictures, so I want them to be clear and without effects clutter so I can see what's going on without focusing on them. But that doesn't mean I want them to be simple. Keeping good balance between impressive art and "readability" is something unique to manga.
JustAnotherShiroNov 30, 2016 1:00 AM
Nov 30, 2016 1:21 AM
Jul 2018
CrashD said:
what sorts of manga exclusive things should one think about when giving it a rating?

"Exclusive"? Why should it be "exclusive"?

Anyway, for taking 3 very caricatural examples:

The first manga is plain ugly, the characters are totally disformed, they don't have good proportions, even their geomotry is weird. This is a bad art.
The second one is drew by someone who is actually very good at drawing. Although it is very conventional. This is a good art.
The third one is also drew by someone who know how to draw. But also there is something very different from the second one: the composition. It is very dense, it's not simply a succession of little panels that you read one by one, there is a tons of informations said by that double-page. Looking at that page is akin to looking at a picture or a painting. This is an excellent art.

In the same way, there is how things are "animated", or "directed", I dunno how to say that, but take a look at that:

Very few mangaka are doing stuffs like that, I dunno how to describe that scene, but it definitely doesn't follow the usual conventions of manga, you don't read it as you read most pages. The point of that kind of… "animation" is to reinforce the emotion, the intensity of the scene.

That mangaka is actually known for doing that king of stuffs, like that double-page that have different ways of reading, that I found in a analysis of one of his manga:

Depending of your order of reading, that double page doesn't say the same thing.

And globally, manga share a lot with anime, like the framing of the action: would you choose to focus on a whole scene, or on a little detail? Which angle would you use? Would you zoom, un-zoom, distort? There is a "camera" in manga too.

Well, that's the kind of criteria I use to determine if a mangaka is "bad", "good" or "excellent".
Although fundamentally I rate mostly on enjoyment.
removed-userNov 30, 2016 1:40 AM
Nov 30, 2016 1:34 AM

Dec 2009
However the fuck you want. Sorry but this is a useless topic, so Reported.
Nov 30, 2016 2:36 AM

Apr 2016
waalex11 said:
However the fuck you want. Sorry but this is a useless topic, so Reported.

It's not a useless topic and you obviously understand nothing about what I was asking. Anime is almost always rated with the same few things in mind (art, animation, story, characterization, voice acting, etc.) Half of these things are not present in manga, making rating it a completely different process. My post asks what sort of things one might keep in mind while rating manga and it encourages conversation. It breaks no forum rules.
Nov 30, 2016 3:00 AM
Jul 2018
CrashD said:
(art, animation, story, characterization, voice acting, etc.) Half of these things are not present in manga

Only the sound is really missing. Animation is replaced by how you cut the action into panels for creating movements:

Here you have 3 very distinct ways to create a movement:
— The first one is very simple, you have a "burst shot", the framing is always the same (except in the last panel where the angle is a little different). The scene is depicting an attempt of rape, and that kind "movement" reinforce the panic of the MC.
— The second one choose a totally different approach, by having the totality of the movement in the same panel. That kind of movement is "fantasist" since you can't see different instants (the different shots of the character falling from the wall) at the same time (same panel): here the MC is hallucinating.
— The last one at first use a very conventional way to make a character running: first panel you focus on the feet and the second on the head, it "stretch" the character, inducing his movement, and then you add little effects by drawing long strokes. But what's more interesting is the middle panel, where the character goes over the edges of the panel, the character "emerges out" of the panels, giving the impression that he is flying.
removed-userNov 30, 2016 3:05 AM
Nov 30, 2016 3:16 AM

Apr 2016
lady_freyja said:
CrashD said:
(art, animation, story, characterization, voice acting, etc.) Half of these things are not present in manga

Only the sound is really missing. Animation is replaced by how you cut the action into panels for creating movements:

Here you have 3 very distinct ways to create a movement:
— The first one is very simple, you have a "burst shot", the framing is always the same (except in the last panel where the angle is a little different). The scene is depicting an attempt of rape, and that kind "movement" reinforce the panic of the MC.
— The second one choose a totally different approach, by having the totality of the movement in the same panel. That kind of movement is "fantasist" since you can't see different instants (the different shots of the character falling from the wall) at the same time (same panel): here the MC is hallucinating.
— The last one at first use a very conventional way to make a character running: first panel you focus on the feet and the second on the head, it "stretch" the character, inducing his movement, and then you add little effects by drawing long strokes. But what's more interesting is the middle panel, where the character goes over the edges of the panel, the character "emerges out" of the panels, giving the impression that he is flying.

How do you know whether it's done bad or done well. It seems a lot more to be preference or opinion whereas in anime, it's usually pretty obvious whether the anime is good or not.
Nov 30, 2016 3:45 AM
Jul 2018
CrashD said:
How do you know whether it's done bad or done well. It seems a lot more to be preference or opinion whereas in anime, it's usually pretty obvious whether the anime is good or not.

There is always part of it that is a "preference" or "opinion" (it is art after all). Although I said it "replaces" the animation (since they both create movement), but it's not the same, so yup, you can't really use the same criteria.

But like @Terkhev said, there is the "readability". Sometime you have difficulties to even understand what's happening, it is frequent in fight scenes. Here obviously the mangaka is doing bad.
And like in any visual medium, the art convey informations. The way you cut the action into panels helps to express a sentiment, an emotion or a narrative element, like I said with the "panic" or the "hallucination".
There is different way to express madness for example, some are more efficient than others, but the tricky part is that some speak more to you than others because of your own life experiences, your "vision of the world".

But is also a question of experience and exposure.

Personally, I'm a beginner, I almost never read any literature about the theory of comics. Thus I search my words and I have some difficulties to explains things. And I discovered authors that I consider as "excellent mangaka" only recently.
All the examples I show on that topic (save the two first pages) are what I consider as "excellent" or "very good". Things I don't come across that often while reading manga and that gives me a strong impression.
Most manga are technically mediocre (like most anime minds you), few mangaka actually use a large set of techniques; you mostly just saw a succession of panels without any kind of sophistication, and uninspired framing, composition et cætera.

Although some manga can be technically mediocre but still have an excellent fine drawing, or drawing that have a certain charm. Like the second picture I used as an example, which have a "fine art" but nothing much more.
removed-userNov 30, 2016 3:51 AM
Nov 30, 2016 4:07 AM

Apr 2016
lady_freyja said:
CrashD said:

There is always part of it that is a "preference" or "opinion" (it is art after all). Although I said it "replaces" the animation (since they both create movement), but it's not the same, so yup, you can't really use the same criteria.

But like @Terkhev said, there is the "readability". Sometime you have difficulties to even understand what's happening, it is frequent in fight scenes. Here obviously the mangaka is doing bad.
And like in any visual medium, the art convey informations. The way you cut the action into panels helps to express a sentiment, an emotion or a narrative element, like I said with the "panic" or the "hallucination".
There is different way to express madness for example, some are more efficient than others, but the tricky part is that some speak more to you than others because of your own life experiences, your "vision of the world".

But is also a question of experience and exposure.

Personally, I'm a beginner, I almost never read any literature about the theory of comics. Thus I search my words and I have some difficulties to explains things. And I discovered authors that I consider as "excellent mangaka" only recently.
All the examples I show on that topic (save the two first pages) are what I consider as "excellent" or "very good". Things I don't come across that often while reading manga and that gives me a strong impression.
Most manga are technically mediocre (like most anime minds you), few mangaka actually use a large set of techniques; you mostly just saw a succession of panels without any kind of sophistication, and uninspired framing, composition et cætera.

Although some manga can be technically mediocre but still have an excellent fine drawing, or drawing that have a certain charm. Like the second picture I used as an example, which have a "fine art" but nothing much more.

Atsushi Ohkubo is definitely up there for me. There's a scene in Soul Eater where a character is yelling a bunch of random shit and the mangaka put the speech bubble in the crease of the two pages and then another character commented on how you can't read what he's saying. Things like that really made that series for me.
Nov 30, 2016 4:57 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
You rate with your feel, if you liked or not.

Nov 30, 2016 5:08 AM

May 2015
i dont really know either. thats why i decided that i should wait until ive completed about 100 before i start rating. hopefully id know how to rate em if ive completed a respectable amount
Nov 30, 2016 5:38 AM

Oct 2007
Personally I rate most based on enjoyability (both in anime and manga) and how enjoyable something is can be impacted by readability that @Therhev and some of the techniques @lady_freyja mentioned. Now, opinion also has something to do with it, of course because how quality will be perceived differently by different readers. Personal aesthetic and preferences in terms of plotlines and storytelling style should also be considered so there isn't really a 'right' way to do it, but if you're trying to go technical, you can consider things like proportions and lines in art, how technical storytelling is, how cinematography is portrayed in panels and so on, but you'd have to educate yourself on those areas to have the language to speak in those terms.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Nov 30, 2016 8:27 AM

Jul 2014
I don't like to split my ratings into different categories, that goes for both anime and manga.
I think it's forced and unintuitive.
For example, I would never downrate an anime that I deem a masterpiece if the music is just average. That would be just wrong.
And the priority of every aspect of an anime, like characters, plot or development, is different for each series.
Nov 30, 2016 10:49 AM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
As the first poster said, the layout is very important. I believe it's very important for the panels to flow. I've read some manga where it doesn't quite flow and cuts out/skips to diff scenes very quickly. I never really quite enjoyed those. Most times it just throws me off track, if done poorly.

That's just about the only thing I take seriously when I rate manga. Most times I just rate it out of enjoyability, i.e. - story, characters, art style.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

Nov 30, 2016 3:19 PM

Jul 2014
Rate however you want based on the things that are important to you in a manga. I rate based on enjoyment, story, characters, and the art. In that order. Personal preference plays a huge role but you can definitely tell when a manga's art is beautiful, crude, or just downright awful and lazy. And art doesn't just mean how well each panel is drawn but includes how well the panels flow together as a whole and, in the case of action/fight scenes, how well I can tell what's happening in the panels. It's annoying when you look at a page and can't figure out what the person (or people) just did.
Dec 10, 2016 11:31 PM
Nov 2015
I rate a manga based on the character design, the art, the characters, backgrounds,story, and also the flow of the panels. For example, some fight scenes in manga are odd to read because the art is unclear of what it is showing and the flow between the panels isn't smooth.
Dec 13, 2016 3:41 AM

Jul 2014
Personally, I rate manga as I do with anime... based on enjoyability.

Then again, I'm not a very critical person when it comes to rating unlike most/other people here on MAL who really take several factors into account. But when something does bother me a lot by the time I finish the manga like art or something, then I will dock a bit from the overall score.

Even the score of a favorite manga which showed so much promise to be such a masterpiece can decrease due to unexpected/unsatisfying endings. And there are also times when art is complete poo but the story is so damn amazing that I'm still compelled to give it a full 10/10.

Basically, it's all up to you on how you want to rate it~
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Dec 13, 2016 4:12 AM
Jul 2018
Ivy said:
And there are also times when art is complete poo but the story is so damn amazing that I'm still compelled to give it a full 10/10.

Chie Shinohara art is complete poo? Wow. へへ

Funny how tastes differ a lot. To me it's a decent art, not excellent, but not bad either. And it works pretty well when she's doing her horror manga.
Dec 13, 2016 4:28 AM

Jul 2014
lady_freyja said:
Ivy said:
And there are also times when art is complete poo but the story is so damn amazing that I'm still compelled to give it a full 10/10.

Funny how tastes differ a lot. To me it's a decent art, not excellent, but not bad either. And it works pretty well when she's doing her horror manga.

Well maybe "complete poo" was too much? It was at least tolerable for me since I managed to look past the art to actually finish the manga and still manage to give it a 10/10. So... tolerable poo? Lolol

But I'm glad others are okay with her art. The couple times I tried recommending Red River to others they never bother once they see the art which is such a shame. >_<
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Dec 13, 2016 5:12 AM
Jul 2018
Ivy said:
The couple times I tried recommending Red River to others they never bother once they see the art which is such a shame. >_<

I'm under the impression that a lot of people are prisoners of a certain set of few art-styles, and everything different from what they are used is automatically "bad".
I see that "critic" a lot when reading the reviews of old manga from people who aren't into old-school.

Personally I appreciate the diversity of the art-styles. The more you're exposed to different art-styles, the more you become tolerant to or even being able to find qualities in art-styles you usually don't like. There is some that I don't like (like the moe-blob one, and actually I'm ambivalent with Chie Shinohara's style; I love her villains, but not that much her others characters) and some that I love.
But dis/liking an art-style and the actual drawing qualities of a manga are two different things.

I mean, even if some art-styles are atypical or out of fashion, a drawing is still a drawing and their innate qualities don't change over the time. Most of the "manga syntax" was established during the 60s decade. Which means that starting the 70s decade and onward, the structure of the different manga is usually the same as long as you stay out of experimental manga (obviously). Unlike anime or cinema, there is next to no technical difference from a today's manga and a 30 years old one.
removed-userDec 13, 2016 5:24 AM
Dec 13, 2016 5:48 AM

Apr 2015
I rate with a primary focus on characters, enjoyment, and story, like anime.

However, animation and sound design are swapped with detail vs. flow in relation to the story/theme, and ease of comprehension.

But with that said, I don't put nearly as much emphasis on manga reading and rating, so I don't sweat it too much.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Dec 13, 2016 7:50 AM

Jan 2016
Ivy said:
lady_freyja said:

Well maybe "complete poo" was too much? It was at least tolerable for me since I managed to look past the art to actually finish the manga and still manage to give it a 10/10. So... tolerable poo? Lolol

But I'm glad others are okay with her art. The couple times I tried recommending Red River to others they never bother once they see the art which is such a shame. >_<

One of the reason why i have a hard time at recommending Basara, even if the art gets a little better it's not that great :(
Anyway Red River's art looks like the Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel compared to Gokusen or Akkan Baby.
Dec 14, 2016 3:29 PM

Jun 2008
I rate based on enjoyment alone. But i always have a harder time rating manga i've read compared to when rating anime that i've watched.
Dec 16, 2016 2:51 PM

Jun 2012
I think it comes down to personal preference mostly. People enjoy different things. For example, I place a lot of emphasis on good backgrounds and setting, while many don't care for those at all. The key aspects of manga that I take into consideration are:

• Art - how is the anatomy? Are the backgrounds good? How are the panels? Style - Traditional or more modern?
  • Plot - does it play into genre cliches? Is there even a plot? Is it easy to grasp and enjoyable?
  • Text/dialogue - how is the story conveyed? Is the dialogue believable?
  • Characters - flat or multifaceted? How are the relationships between the characters?
  • Enjoyability - how did this manga make me feel? Would I re-read it?

Then again, sometimes I'll give a manga 10/10 based on gut feeling and instinct. I might re-read it one day and go "??? what was I thinking??" but in that moment it really was top-tier. Opinions are funny.
It’s a pale, silent day: I would like to be walking in a wood, far away.

Dec 16, 2016 6:25 PM

Jun 2012
Something unique to manga and comics relating to art is the paneling. How well the panels flow into one another, how easy it is to follow conversation threads as you read the manga and where the dialogue is presented (like is there more dialogue in the smaller panels cluttering it up, are the highly detailed panels have dialogue placed in distracting places).

Its something I look at at least, though I don't put much weight on it. Usually, if you enjoy a manga as you are reading it and it is easy to follow, the flow of the panels and how they were constructed is probably fine. If there is just too much clutter or its hard to follow however, it hurts my impression in the end.
Dec 17, 2016 2:54 AM
Feb 2011
However you want to, obviously.

More topics from this board

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

14 by Eziprez »»
3 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

380 by Kkulpanda »»
4 hours ago

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

9 by Shirayukin »»
Yesterday, 6:55 PM

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

22 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 3:20 PM

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

5 by nishant0 »»
Yesterday, 1:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.