Forum Settings
Forums

Getting BORED of anime and everything else?

New
Oct 13, 2016 2:51 PM

Aug 2009
Has this happened to you, where you've watched a lot of anime, and start to get dis-interested in them? And maybe you try to find a different medium to entertain you and it's not working? What do you do to mitigate (mend it) it? I'm just wondering because I've been having this issue for awhile where most anime are starting to just bore me and I can't get any further with them (hence my freaking huge watch list) and most were considered decent by my standards.

Do you think I should start reading manga/play video games/read books for a long time and go on hiatus from anime? Or just drop any shows I find boring atm?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 13, 2016 2:59 PM

Feb 2013
shitfunposting on mal is the best cure for anything and everything
Oct 13, 2016 3:00 PM

Jan 2015
dakotasapphire said:
Has this happened to you, where you've watched a lot of anime, and start to get dis-interested in them? And maybe you try to find a different medium to entertain you and it's not working? What do you do to mitigate (mend it) it? I'm just wondering because I've been having this issue for awhile where most anime are starting to just bore me and I can't get any further with them (hence my freaking huge watch list) and most were considered decent by my standards.

Do you think I should start reading manga/play video games/read books for a long time and go on hiatus from anime? Or just drop any shows I find boring atm?

Nah I'm the type that can be overjoyed watching the anime I already watched besides watching new ones :3
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Oct 13, 2016 3:03 PM

Jul 2016
That's what you called fatigue. Go out, socialize and have fun with others. You just need a change of pace, that's all.
"This (anime) industry is weird" - Chitose Karasuma, Gi(a)rlish Number

I hope someday someone in an anime would say, "The (anime) viewers are weird."
Oct 13, 2016 3:05 PM

Feb 2015
dakotasapphire said:

Lel... The reason why my profile is not updating any series is because I'm busy playing some pay-to-win android game...
Oct 13, 2016 3:06 PM

Jan 2013
dakotasapphire said:

Obviously if all you do is the same thing you'll get bored of it eventually. Stepping out of your comfort zone really helps but the 1 thing that helps the most with this is surprisingly friends.

Just go call up some friends and hang out. When you're socially tired anime will feel so much better.

@_Ako_
At least play good games. Get some Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel up in that system.

Oct 13, 2016 3:11 PM

Jan 2015
That happens to me too when I feel like watching anime feels more like a chore and less like something fun to do. When this happens, I give myself voluntary 'anime breaks', where I don't watch it for a few days, I find other things to do then go back to anime after a few days.
Oct 13, 2016 3:11 PM

Feb 2015
TitanAnteus said:

@_Ako_
At least play good games. Get some Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel up in that system.

Lel dude, my Windows 97 can't handle that game... I've tried Runescape but doesn't actually plays it very good, thus I deleted it...

I've been playing this game for almost two weeks now. I'll get off it when I feel like, I should. Don't worry, I still love anime.

dakotasapphire said:

Depends in what you really feel. You can do different "hobby" if you don't feel like watching anime, and if you feel like it, then do watch some...
_Ako_Oct 13, 2016 3:18 PM
Oct 13, 2016 3:13 PM

Dec 2015
I started to kinda get bored of it since I can only watch on my phone, so I just started getting more into mangas.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Oct 13, 2016 3:18 PM

Aug 2009
SkyWing0 said:
That's what you called fatigue. Go out, socialize and have fun with others. You just need a change of pace, that's all.

Well I work 5 days a week. I'm just trying to figure out what to do in my free time after work. I really do need to socialize but all my friends live far away now. Kind of not easy to just hang out with people I just met or anything. But maybe sooner or later someone will invite me to hang out.
TitanAnteus said:
dakotasapphire said:

Obviously if all you do is the same thing you'll get bored of it eventually. Stepping out of your comfort zone really helps but the 1 thing that helps the most with this is surprisingly friends.

Just go call up some friends and hang out. When you're socially tired anime will feel so much better.

@_Ako_

Read my above message. My friends live too far away now and I'm too shy to just ask someone from work to hang out, and I don't think it'll be as fun with people I barely know yet.
Oct 13, 2016 3:21 PM

Sep 2016
cross ange!!!!!!!! won't make you bored
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 13, 2016 3:22 PM
Jul 2018
You caught the normies disease! You are becoming one of them OP!

OT: Try to distract your mind with something else for a few days.
Oct 13, 2016 3:22 PM

Nov 2013
dakotasapphire said:

Read the source material of an anime before watching the anime. Manga is basically a sketch of anime, so you won't feel very rewarded watching an anime of a manga that you already read, and you might even feel as if you're "rewatching" it. But try reading novels/light novels and visual novels(especially those without voice acting), and only then watch their anime adaptation. And then like most people, even if in the end, after finishing the anime you think that the source material was much better than the anime adaptation, I can assure you that "while" you're actually watching you won't feel bored at all.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Oct 13, 2016 3:23 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
NOPE, NEVER

anime is one of the very few things that never bores me, that includes drawing anime as well LOL

only days i may not watch anything are the days theres no new episode out, but as far as this season goes, i have something to watch every day, so as long as i don't have any keeping me from it, i will watch at least one anime episode every day until this season is over lol
Oct 13, 2016 3:23 PM

May 2015
This is why I always switch up my genres after I finish a series. When you watch all the good stuff, you're only left with the bad stuff.

Anyway, if you feel that you have to take a break from anime, take the break. Anime isn't going anywhere, and you can always come back to it. As for that watch list of yours, unless you got a really good memory, never try to watch too much anime at once. I think that's the reason why you get bored easily because you can't stick to one anime. If you can't finish them, you might as well drop them (and that's a lot of dropping...).

Also...
GangsterCat said:
cross ange!!!!!!!! won't make you bored

^What this guy said.
Oct 13, 2016 3:26 PM

Feb 2016
Just smoke pot and watch anime, it gets waaay more interesting.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Oct 13, 2016 4:26 PM
Jun 2015
Boredom is your brain signaling that you should do something else. If you are procrastinating it will only get worse in the future.
Oct 13, 2016 4:29 PM

Nov 2008
It's not me, it's anime. I rarely watch any of the newer shows. They're unappealing.

Oct 13, 2016 4:36 PM

Nov 2013
Ezekiel said:
It's not me, it's anime. I rarely watch any of the newer shows. They're unappealing.

No one ever told you that it's wrong to blame others? :P
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Oct 13, 2016 4:58 PM

May 2016
Well...For me, it doesn't happen often and it doesn't last long , but when it does, my best friend is Youtube...Just go to youtube and try search for funny videos, or just go wander on there until you find yourself on a video so strange that you ask yourself "How the fuck did I end up here?"

I generally do that with videos related to anime, music and memes...
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Oct 13, 2016 5:00 PM

Oct 2014
Having variety in medias you experienced is always a good thing dince everyone would get bored of the same cliches with you limit your watching list to a certain kind of media
Oct 13, 2016 5:16 PM
Jul 2018
Are you losing interest in multiple things that used to make you happy, or just anime? Have you noticed any mood fluctuations or experienced any major life changes?

I'm asking because anhedonia is one of the hallmark symptoms of depression.

Losing interested in things you once loved, unable to find pleasure/happiness in anything around you that used to bring you joy.

Of course, it could be much more simple: you could just be burnt out on anime.
I suggest taking a break if you think that's the case.
Oct 13, 2016 6:50 PM

Mar 2014
Yeah, I haven't really been in the mood so I've been reading instead, way more enjoyable ATM.
Dishonest said:
Just smoke pot and watch anime, it gets waaay more interesting.
or do this, perfect combination.
Oct 13, 2016 6:53 PM

Feb 2016
dakotasapphire said:
What do you do to mitigate (mend it) it?

I got a life, and then when the burnt out feeling went away I went right back to being a hikikomori until I got bored again.
Oct 13, 2016 6:55 PM

Jun 2016
nope!
maybe for now, no.
but i never get tired of watching anime, cuz it seems become my hobby or everyday routine.

The world is cruel, ugly and pitiful. Let's watch anime and make it colorful
Oct 13, 2016 7:52 PM

Dec 2009
After 2 hrs of work out and 4-6hr of studies, if you still get bored with all these entertainment, you should just go to sleep.
Oct 13, 2016 8:35 PM

Sep 2016
Do what I do, forget about anime for the rest of the season then come back and binge watch it all.

Or become a normie, who knows.
Oct 13, 2016 8:51 PM
Apr 2016
Read books. There are far more must read books in the world than must watch anime.
Oct 13, 2016 10:09 PM

Aug 2009
Kyandesu said:
Are you losing interest in multiple things that used to make you happy, or just anime? Have you noticed any mood fluctuations or experienced any major life changes?

I'm asking because anhedonia is one of the hallmark symptoms of depression.

Losing interested in things you once loved, unable to find pleasure/happiness in anything around you that used to bring you joy.

Of course, it could be much more simple: you could just be burnt out on anime.
I suggest taking a break if you think that's the case.

Yeah I've thought about how I could be depressed. Which is unfortunate but people get depression from moving away/starting a new chapter of their lives you know?
Oct 14, 2016 5:20 AM
Jul 2018
Last anime I watched was a few months ago. Blame Touhou Project. Yeah, I find much more exciting a fast and adrenaline-filled game than repetitive anime that don't really impress me anymore. I've started a couple of supposedly great anime, lost interest in episode 5, and returned to the game.
Oct 14, 2016 7:14 AM

Nov 2009
@dakotasapphire
Personally, between anime, video games, tabletop RPGs, internet arguments, learning new stuff and work, I never feel I am out of things to do. Sometimes I feel I have run myself into the corner, and have to re-watch something that I'm sure is good.
Instead, I am more likely to feel I'm forgetting what I am and what free time is like.

I'm sure you've seen this answer many times, but taking a break from anime is always an option. Don't let the pace of modern life get the better of you. Lie down on your bed, and think about what you would really want to do. The answer is usually easy to find.

On the other hand, given the length of your list, you might have really watched everything worthwhile, and you might want to consider ongoing anime, manga, LNs, VNs, or some other form of entertainment altogether.
Oct 14, 2016 7:38 AM
Jan 2016
Yeah.. it had happened to me and not so long i found the cure... watch ecchi harem romance animes to get you cheered up... im now in the best shape to watch since i have watched many
LEGENDARY BAKA
Oct 14, 2016 7:48 AM

Oct 2016
The more you watch, the more everything seems like the same thing over and over again.
Honk Honk
Oct 14, 2016 7:50 AM

Aug 2014
If you mean "do you not want to live anymore because you have no motivation in life and everything feels like a waste, because either you feel like you are wasting time, by doing non-productive things or you feel like everything you have to succeed at fails" yes. if you mean "you don't feel like watching anime or doing any other of your hobbies or studying," not exactly, since i still need escapism and be of use to others.
Oct 14, 2016 7:51 AM

Aug 2015
And here I am with no time to even watch animu anymore... =(

romagia said:
shitfunposting on mal is the best cure for anything and everything
You said it brother.. Amen!
Oct 14, 2016 9:00 AM

Sep 2015
I have a lot of hobbies so that I don't just get bored because I'm doing the same thing every single damn day.
If that still doesn't work, maybe try and explore other anime genres, something that you've not been exposed to. Who knows, it could be the next new thing that you love. Crap, this sounds cheesy.
Oct 14, 2016 9:02 AM

Jul 2014
Oh look, a burn-out thread, not had one of these for a long time.

But OP, if you are having problems with burn-outs, either take a rest and do something else, or plan your anime watching sessions, so you don't marathon a lot or something, idk.
Oct 14, 2016 9:17 AM

Feb 2016
dakotasapphire said:

I really don't get all these sorts of 'Help, I'm not enjoying anime any more, what do?' threads; I mean, it's a hobby. If you're bored with it, do something else. Forcing yourself to do something you don't enjoy is what work is for.
Oct 14, 2016 9:49 AM

Aug 2008
Have always felt that way for many years ago actually. I found video game to be more fun than anime. Among all other entertainment hobby I have, anime is actually my least favorite one.
ZapredonOct 14, 2016 9:56 AM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Oct 14, 2016 11:58 AM
Jul 2018
waifuEqualslaifu said:
The more you watch, the more everything seems like the same thing over and over again.
Haven't watched hundreds of anime, but I can already tell this is true.

Fasolt said:
dakotasapphire said:

I really don't get all these sorts of 'Help, I'm not enjoying anime any more, what do?' threads; I mean, it's a hobby. If you're bored with it, do something else. Forcing yourself to do something you don't enjoy is what work is for.
You would be impressed with the huge amounts of people who do this just to keep up with all the seasonal anime or to brag about how much anime they've watched.
Oct 14, 2016 12:00 PM

Sep 2009
I've been bored for over 10 years. Still bored.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Oct 14, 2016 12:02 PM
Apr 2016
dakotasapphire said:

went thru the same thing at some stage. You just need to be more conscious about what anime you choose to watch.Ever since I found an efficient and effectivE way of selecting the anime I watch. I started enjoying most of the shows I watch lately.

Also it could be the fact that you do the same thing over and over and you don't step out of your comfort zone. You should also go out and socialise more, play sports, read Novels, or even hit the gym. Amplifying your experiences in life is dope cause you gain new insight and perspective and it revitalises your mind.
HecteazyOct 14, 2016 12:10 PM
Oct 14, 2016 12:15 PM

Feb 2016
Lord_Sithis said:
You would be impressed with the huge amounts of people who do this just to keep up with all the seasonal anime or to brag about how much anime they've watched.

Not so much impressed as confused. I've yet to encounter another fandom where such a noticeable (or at least, vocal) percentage treats the hobby as an obligation or work. Take the people who are proud that they've never dropped an anime, and instead sat through hours of stuff they didn't even enjoy: at that point, watching anime isn't a hobby or pastime, it's some kind of perverted addiction.

I swear, I'll never understand anime fans.
Oct 14, 2016 12:18 PM
Feb 2015
happened to me 2-3 times in the last 2-3 years just take a break when i took the break i read either wuxia novels or watched K-drama
Oct 14, 2016 12:19 PM
Jul 2018
MortalMelancholy said:
I've been bored for over 10 years. Still bored.
Sleep. Or, you like Remilia right? Play that shit, never bores me.
Oct 14, 2016 12:25 PM
Aug 2015
I haven't watched a lot of anime to begin with, and I'm still bored of it for some reason. I can't seem to be able to dedicate as much time as I used to, even though I've got plenty of it. Watching anime feels a lot like a chore.
Oct 14, 2016 2:40 PM

Aug 2009
Lord_Sithis said:
waifuEqualslaifu said:

Fasolt said:

You're telling me. But I'm not really a seasonal watcher per say. I watch most of the stuff that I haven't from the past but one or two seasonal anime I was interested in I end up checking out that season (but usually don't watch the rest of it till its over).

Regarding that 'it's a hobby' yeah it is. But The topic was about getting bored with EVERYTHING. Hell I bought the sims yesterday and that used to be the most fun game in the world to me and now it was mind numbingly dull. Also movies are boring. Games aren't AS fun as i'd like them to be. (like league of legends, but I heard that game ends up being boring eventually for everyone) Books I can hardly have an attention span for (maybe I need to read something non fiction).
Oct 14, 2016 2:42 PM
Jul 2018
dakotasapphire said:
Lord_Sithis said:

You're telling me. But I'm not really a seasonal watcher per say. I watch most of the stuff that I haven't from the past but one or two seasonal anime I was interested in I end up checking out that season (but usually don't watch the rest of it till its over).

Regarding that 'it's a hobby' yeah it is. But The topic was about getting bored with EVERYTHING. Hell I bought the sims yesterday and that used to be the most fun game in the world to me and now it was mind numbingly dull. Also movies are boring. Games aren't AS fun as i'd like them to be. (like league of legends, but I heard that game ends up being boring eventually for everyone) Books I can hardly have an attention span for (maybe I need to read something non fiction).
I bought Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 because I felt like buying them, since I pirated them in Cuba and I felt bad. But I haven't played them for more than 7 hours. Mostly because I'm lazy, because I really like those games. And because I paid those nice $60, I now have no money to buy Ikaruga, a game I really want to play... So yeah, I guess I also have lack of attention span with most games.
Oct 15, 2016 2:54 AM

Aug 2009
Lord_Sithis said:
dakotasapphire said:

I bought Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 because I felt like buying them, since I pirated them in Cuba and I felt bad. But I haven't played them for more than 7 hours. Mostly because I'm lazy, because I really like those games. And because I paid those nice $60, I now have no money to buy Ikaruga, a game I really want to play... So yeah, I guess I also have lack of attention span with most games.

Yeah that's me too, I own all the bioshock games because I enjoyed playing the first one but yet to actually finish it and the second and third... _o i'm sooo bad about playing games to the end.
Oct 15, 2016 3:08 AM

Oct 2015
play video games, best entertainment medium imo
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» When is an anime too long or too short for you?

Spunkert - 9 minutes ago

3 by Paul »»
33 seconds ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

995 by Chardonnayat »»
5 minutes ago

» Your favorite anime OP

Goblingaming - May 3

45 by ProGoddess »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Your favourite genre with predominantly female cast?

Sanjay63773 - May 3

34 by TransferUser »»
14 minutes ago

» Why do some people watch anime in 1.5x or 2x speed?

Rinrinka - 10 hours ago

33 by _ATG_ »»
48 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.