Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Oct 8, 2016 12:56 AM
May 2016
whoa! a good start., bloody war on the first half then showed the dimentional of many doors, introduced the other characters. I love the art style, its cool and also the ED was good. Toyohisa reminds me of Kamina of TTGL, badass and his humor. Lookng forward for the next episode.
Oct 8, 2016 1:14 AM

Oct 2015
Im liking this so far, the fights could be a bit better but that could just be because this episode is supposed to set-up the story and MCs. I like the Artstyle, much like Hellsing Ultimate. And just like Hellsing Ultimate, it has very awkward comedic moments. Not bad, but it think itll get better soon.
The peasant is bound by the king. The king is bound by the peasants and their kingdom. But the Viking is bound to nothing but themselves.

Oct 8, 2016 1:31 AM

Jul 2016
I like it overall though I guess I need to learn Japanese history to get the jokes from the anime. Animation wise, I think it's semi-rough and it really fits the anime.
"This (anime) industry is weird" - Chitose Karasuma, Gi(a)rlish Number

I hope someday someone in an anime would say, "The (anime) viewers are weird."
Oct 8, 2016 2:26 AM
Jan 2014
I've read the manga but left midway, waiting for the appearance of

Oct 8, 2016 3:18 AM

May 2016
First 10 minutes of episode was boring as hell, but when other Drifters found Toyohisa its was very interesting.
Sadly there wasnt an opening but ending looks very good and the music is
epic in it.
I cant wait to see who is the main villain in this anime.
Oct 8, 2016 3:27 AM
Jul 2018
First episode didn't impress me much especially the comedy part, will give it two more episodes before dropping it.
Oct 8, 2016 4:09 AM
May 2016
awesome first episode it had everything i like

blood gore and action scenes were great
the ed song is also very nice
the animation was superb

the comedy scenes felt out of place tho but still a great episode nonetheless

4/5
Oct 8, 2016 6:25 AM

Nov 2014
Pretty badass episode but I wasn't really sure about the jokes. I had to google the Mori Ranmaru one because I am so ignorant when it comes to Japanese history lol
Oct 8, 2016 6:27 AM

Mar 2009
Funny how this is the same studio that did extreme ecchi anime like Seikon no Qwaser and Manyuu Hikenchou. I'm expecting huge boobs and a lot of fanservice soon.
Oct 8, 2016 6:47 AM

Jan 2010
median debut, I did not expect much of this adaptation, the studio looks like it has not done a good job in this first episode, the action scenes ok, but the other ...
I felt as if the direction was messy, everything happened without a sense to the viewer, the mood was broken several times, do not know if this is the manga, but I did not like much.

Worth it for those who like anime with action scenes and a bit more violent, I will give one more chance.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the
Oct 8, 2016 6:50 AM

Jun 2009
The biggest problem I have with this episode is that I am not familiar with history of Japan and I had no idea who are these people and what are thay talking about. Maybe it will be more clear to me after I'll do some reaserch.

Overall the episode was quite enjoyable, but it doesn't feel outstanding at this point.
Oct 8, 2016 7:01 AM

Jan 2015
finally a good historic anime it seems. So the Hellsing creator is a creator of Drifters too, just found out, then i'm sure this anime will be a success for me.
Anyway looking forward to it
Oct 8, 2016 7:04 AM

May 2015
The comedy was unnecessary...

But I will watch it for the color palette and the animation, its been a while since I saw something so visually pleasing.
Oct 8, 2016 7:04 AM

Apr 2014
Pretty good, art looks great, but is the archer a male or a female? I couldn't tell xD
Oct 8, 2016 8:01 AM

Feb 2016
Art/animation is pretty clunky. (Is it the animation or is it my phone?)

It was interesting at first, but after a while I couldn't stop thinking that it would be like those usual samurai flicks with a twist.

I liked the battle, except the part where the Eastern army retreated when it's just one wounded man, and also the fact that that wounded man was still alive after being impaled with those spears.

I'm pretty sure that white room is Purgatory.

Didn't like the comedy, as everyone has been saying.
RyuugamonoOct 8, 2016 8:06 AM
All people have their own sh*t tastes, therefore, there are no sh*t tastes, since everything is equally sh*t.

A VERY LOGICAL
PHILOSOPHY
Oct 8, 2016 8:15 AM

Nov 2012
I find the comedy funny and doesn't ruin the overall mood. Just like in the manga. Oh well, different people have different opinions.
....of all the arts, for us the cinema is the most important.

-- Vladimir Lenin
Oct 8, 2016 8:18 AM

May 2010
For those interested in Japanese history or just wants to watch a random fun youtube video about Japanese history: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh5LY4Mz15o

It's not totally serious history, but it's short and it explains a little bit of the history mentioned in passing in this episode :)
If you're going to put up a show of torture...I'm sorry, but I'd rather leave the stage. – Furude Rika, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Oct 8, 2016 8:54 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
A good start to the series

interesting setting and premise

gritty animation and interesting as well

Interesting characters as well as the shimazu clan isn't featured as heavily in
history

Man thats a lot of doors in that scene though

Hmm that archer is the one that keeps the peace eh
she has quite the pressence thats for sure

The scene where they all pluked the feathers was cool and strange

Its a great history lesson as well lol
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 8, 2016 9:00 AM

Aug 2015
Same as the ova. IT was good I guess
Oct 8, 2016 9:25 AM
Jul 2016
For those who don't get Drifters's jokes, you will need Japanese history but later on, you needed to know the 3 Kingdom story, Italy, German, France, Russia, any stuff about the Sundance Kid, and Israel or Jerusalem as well (Maybe all about European history). Also, it's pretty heavy WW1 and WW2 stuffs as well.
Oct 8, 2016 9:42 AM

Feb 2016
Booooringgggggg. Is there anime this season that's like mob psycho?
Oct 8, 2016 9:43 AM

Feb 2016
Milk_is_Special said:
Pretty good, art looks great, but is the archer a male or a female? I couldn't tell xD
I don't know but she's fucking cute
Oct 8, 2016 9:47 AM

Sep 2016
360AttAck said:
there are a lot of garbage anime like that. you can try it one by one
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 8, 2016 9:49 AM

Feb 2016
GangsterCat said:
360AttAck said:
there are a lot of garbage anime like that. you can try it one by one
Garbage ?!!?!?!?!?!
Oct 8, 2016 10:01 AM

Jun 2013
Damn Good Graphics. Anime Looked Good. Follows Manga perfectly so far. Brutality and Blood is not Censored. (Follows Manga) and If this Follows Manga, then I have not any arguments about Story! Love the Manga!

DAMN THIS STARTED GREAT! This is How I Hope they had Animated the New Berserk! Looks 100x Times Better! best is that this is not Censored! And Follows same style of Dark Comedy and Action that we can expect from Hirano-Sensei!

Nobunaga IS THE BEST TOUGH OF THE DRIFTERS! Toyohisa is also Hilarious! XD Yoichi is Cool...even if I tough him as Woman 1st time I saw him...

Semu is here! XD

and ..There...They....COME!!!
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
Oct 8, 2016 10:57 AM

Apr 2016
First ep was great. And the ending so good. Long time didn`t heard such a hard song from my Maon Kurosaki. Sugizo from X Japan made the music

Oct 8, 2016 11:14 AM

Apr 2009
Milk_is_Special said:

Yoichi's a guy...
Oct 8, 2016 11:15 AM

Apr 2014
Klimat said:
Milk_is_Special said:

Yoichi's a guy...
Sigh* Just when I thought I found a good girl...
Oct 8, 2016 12:02 PM

Apr 2009
Milk_is_Special said:
Klimat said:

Yoichi's a guy...

Main girl of the show is the one spying on the samurai trio with binoculars.
Oct 8, 2016 12:26 PM

Apr 2014
Klimat said:
Milk_is_Special said:

Main girl of the show is the one spying on the samurai trio with binoculars.
I see, hope she's a fun character :)
Oct 8, 2016 12:32 PM

Apr 2016
I see, hope she's a fun character :)

Especially her "dialog interactions" with Nobunaga are priceless _D
Oct 8, 2016 3:16 PM
Jul 2014
Went into this blind and had no idea about the twist. Really enjoyed it.
Oct 8, 2016 3:21 PM

Dec 2010
This pilot totally spoiled Taiko for me, EleGigle. Can't wait for the Bakumatsu cast to join.
Oct 8, 2016 4:04 PM

Jun 2013
the animation was interesting
Oct 8, 2016 5:23 PM

Feb 2013
The battle in the beginning was amazing. Great style.

Then it turned to crap after the dude in the hallway.
Oct 8, 2016 5:52 PM
Sep 2016
Well, it was a pretty decent episode, the action is ok, the characters are ok, the music is pretty forgettable, and the animation is good. The major problema is that the pacong is a bit rush; first, we see a battle between two clans, a few minutes later, the clan of the MC is on his final stand, 4 minutes later, the MC death wounded and he is transported to another world(wich we and the main characters asume is the other world), the events pass to quick to really apreciate what's happening and know why we should care about it, if the show keeps this pacing, it could end really bad, but again, is just the first episode. It looks like is gonna be a rule of cool and mistery show, but I'd rather they put the mistery as a secundary thing, the mistery animes are knowed for being shittys, aside from that, it could be a very decent anime.
Oct 8, 2016 6:33 PM
Jan 2015
YAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!

NO HIGH SCHOOL !!!

NO TEENAGERS!!

(hopefully) no bullshit blushing & shyness & trembling when a girl touches your shoulder.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Oct 8, 2016 10:18 PM

Feb 2014
the action scenes reminded me of samurai x for some reason
Around and around the cycle goes.
Oct 9, 2016 12:19 AM

Apr 2016
need a certain level of intelligence to understand the comedy in this series
Oct 9, 2016 12:28 AM

Sep 2008
Grimmgeta said:
I take it a lot of people in this thread haven't seen Hellsing Ultimate judging from their responses to certain things.

You may as well get used to the comedy because that's just how Kouta Hirano, the creator, does things.

seriously, i agree with this. maybe i'm just a huge Kouta Hirano fan but this is like 100% his style and it's always been fine for me.

Hellsing is one of my favorite things of all time but idk why people are expecting this to be like hellsing when they are different concepts? it's still Hirano's familiar storytelling and yes the animation brings all the hellsing ultimate nostalgia feels, but it's a different story.

Anyways, i loved it. I'm really excited for this. The voice cast is perfect, with all my favorites doing great. Can't wait to see more.
Oct 9, 2016 12:33 AM

Sep 2008
zhaoyun99 said:
For those who don't get Drifters's jokes, you will need Japanese history but later on, you needed to know the 3 Kingdom story, Italy, German, France, Russia, any stuff about the Sundance Kid, and Israel or Jerusalem as well (Maybe all about European history). Also, it's pretty heavy WW1 and WW2 stuffs as well.

i love this post. i feel like i'm reading a syllabus.
Oct 9, 2016 2:52 AM

Jul 2015
The OVA was crap and his is crap as well.
Oct 9, 2016 2:57 AM
Dec 2014
I am blown away by awesome art style this one has. Really enjoyed it.

I wish this studio did Berserk adaptation too :(
Oct 9, 2016 3:51 AM

Aug 2015
zhaoyun99 said:

Pretty much this for me, so I think it's understandable that I don't really get some of the jokes since this is basically throwing historical reference anyway, other than that, since this is basically the 1st part of the OVA, I'm pretty sure this will get interesting on the next episode.

MizunashiOct 9, 2016 3:54 AM
Oct 9, 2016 6:38 AM

Jan 2014
I'm impressed with there being an actual second language and not just Japanese cause it's convenient. Everything but the comedy was really good. Why do they have to add comedy to almost everything nowadays ( ´Д`)=3

Looking forward to the next episode.
Oct 9, 2016 7:27 AM

Sep 2015
Wow the art is realy good other than that story kinda seems interesting and well the little bit bad thing is i thought suketaka was girl... ( DAMMIT ITS A TRAP ) .
Overall its 7,5/10 for now.
Oct 9, 2016 8:50 AM

Apr 2014
It would be useful to know a little history here. I didnt mind the comedy parts spinkled in, shows that they can have fun with eachother.
---------My Profile------------
Oct 9, 2016 8:52 AM

Nov 2011
Art style really reminiscent of Hellsing Ultimate. The ep itself was so-so, the comedy bits were a bit out of placed and the way we went from all out action to dialogue was strange as well, let's see where it goes from here though.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Oct 9, 2016 11:41 AM
Nov 2015
The only problem I find in the first episode is poor choreography of fights at some points. Other than that it caught my attention. Looking forward to the next part of the story
Oct 9, 2016 11:47 AM
Dec 2014
Ryuiji_Kaba said:
The only problem I find in the first episode is poor choreography of fights at some points. Other than that it caught my attention. Looking forward to the next part of the story

Can you recommend me some 'good fight choreography' anime? From what I've seen lately, Terraformars (1) had pretty decent one.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Drifters Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 21, 2016

205 by nick_el_son »»
Jan 19, 9:39 AM

Poll: » Drifters Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2016

167 by JackFrost1267 »»
Jan 3, 9:47 PM

Poll: » Drifters Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2016

119 by MizuhoKamui »»
Dec 16, 2023 8:44 AM

Poll: » Drifters Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2016

129 by MizuhoKamui »»
Dec 15, 2023 6:38 PM

Poll: » Drifters Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2016

81 by fathandz »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.