Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 2, 2016 8:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm, that was..alright I guess. I had the initial impressions of lighthearted sword theme show but it had short segments of violence in the beginning as well.

They introduced the main guys, not sure which I find most interesting yet but it's just the first episode so I'm sure they'll get more to the characterization later. Music is decent, animation quality is so-so imo, and the pacing seems moderate so far. Might have potential. The final few minutes really got my attention as it showcased some of the fighting abilities of the guys.
Oct 2, 2016 8:30 AM

Jul 2016
this was a great start.
im not the biggest fan of the shinsengumi swords but that was still pretty enjoyable.
hasebe had some sweet tsukkomi moments, but i gotta say that souza was the funniest.

im looking forward to more!

rutileOct 2, 2016 10:26 AM
Oct 2, 2016 9:58 AM

Aug 2013
Awesome art and animation quality, as expected by Doga Kobo, interesting soundtrack, but story... Idk, bishounens everywhere (totally not my cup of tea), I expected something different (I don't know source material). I will watch till 3rd episode and then decide what I do later,but I don't have any hopes for this.
rsc-plOct 2, 2016 10:05 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 2, 2016 10:15 AM

May 2010
i was honestly bored until they got attacked. wont pick it up cause i simply lack the interest in this show.
Oct 2, 2016 10:15 AM
Sep 2015
okay-ish episode. Lovely visuals, character designs and sceneries. I'm a fan of otome/anime games based around the Shinsengumi history but these swords are not to my taste. It took a while for the story to pick up..and I don't like traps and overly playful characters, Sorry not sorry.
Oct 2, 2016 10:20 AM

Oct 2014
That's an ungodly amount of characters xD
I really enjoyed this first episode so I'll definitely be picking this anime up, looking forward to seeing where it goes, all the characters are great.
Oct 2, 2016 10:20 AM

Nov 2011
rsc-pl said:
story... Idk, bishounens everywhere (totally not my cup of tea), I expected something different (I don't know source material). I will watch till 3rd episode and then decide what I do later,but I don't have any hopes for this.

Yeah, sadly i have use 3 episode rule too.
Oct 2, 2016 10:23 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I'm not the biggest fan of many bishounen characters in one show (i didn't even start Servamp). But this was good enough to keep me watching. I was thinking of dropping it, but the humour is not bad and there were was actually some action here, did not expect to get some action in this lighthearted version of Touken Ranbu.
Oct 2, 2016 10:25 AM

Aug 2010
GOD BLESS DOGA KOBO, THE OPED WERE BOTH SO GOOD *O* this gives me great hype for the upcoming ufotable anime as well hahaha

Anyways, about the episode...a little bit too much focus on Yasusada but not bad overall. They focused on his worries and complex and the whole first part was a great way of introducing the already present swords in this honmaru :3! legit can't wait for Ichi-nii + complete Awataguchi family and the Jijiis to make an appearance

Mucchan, Souza's graceful dodge, and everything Hasebe were the highlight of the episode for me
Oct 2, 2016 10:27 AM

Jul 2012
FUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC ISHIKIRIMARU FANSERVICE THAT WAS SO GOOD
It was TOO DAMN CUTE omg, I can't believe so many of the sword babies showed up in one episode?! I enjoyed it!! The OP/EDs were spectacular!!

The story was good too, lots of stuff happened already.
Oct 2, 2016 10:28 AM
Jan 2016
Very very very recommended to have played the game till now, since there are many insiders :)
I really loved this episode and looking forward to the next one.
Hasebe so cute xDD
Oct 2, 2016 10:35 AM

Nov 2011
Himesamaaaa said:
Very very very recommended to have played the game till now, since there are many insiders :)

You mean important plot stuff or just general fanservice for those who have played the game? If it's the former,it's not a good sign.
Oct 2, 2016 10:47 AM

Sep 2014
Lots of great character designs, I liked the ending theme.
Oct 2, 2016 10:52 AM
Jan 2016
Onbuu said:
Himesamaaaa said:

You mean important plot stuff or just general fanservice for those who have played the game? If it's the former,it's not a good sign.

No, don´t worry, i don´t mean important plot stuff. :) Just the general fanservice and ingame features (not story related).
Oct 2, 2016 11:00 AM

Nov 2011
Himesamaaaa said:
Onbuu said:

No, don´t worry, i don´t mean important plot stuff. :) Just the general fanservice and ingame features (not story related).

Oh thank god... :D For a moment i thought "Oh,great another BlazBlue: Alter Memory..."
Oct 2, 2016 11:09 AM

Aug 2008
Kinda dull 1st episode. Bishi samurai acting moe... Than some girlish shota appears... And then some rushed action scene out of nowhere xD Who knows, this might turn out to be a nice daily-life-of-moe-moe-samurai kind of anime :)

My Anime Lists: AniDB & MAL
Oct 2, 2016 11:10 AM

Nov 2007
As a someone who has been playing the game for years...it was nice watch for me. I mean,i am already fond of those characters and it's even better to see them outside of the very limited game opportunities.

My baes Namazuo and Yagen:*

I think it's very good for Tourabu fans but for people who do not know anything about it and have no attachment to Touken Ranbu? hmm,only time will tell but it will be most likely nope...
Oct 2, 2016 11:13 AM

Jul 2012
Onbuu said:
Himesamaaaa said:

Oh thank god... :D For a moment i thought "Oh,great another BlazBlue: Alter Memory..."
i think she means
insider jokes

like how jokes amongst the characters that were in the game or random tidbits
Oct 2, 2016 11:15 AM

Dec 2014
Some good animation and decently funny humor, though I feel like the two tones could jarringly clash later on in the series.
Oct 2, 2016 11:43 AM

Jul 2014
I am so full of feelings right now holy shit that was great
I was already crying by the opening, can't wait to see Jiji, Kogi, Tsuru, Ichi-nii, Iwatooshi, Sayo, Kane-san, Horikawa and Nagasone
I'm glad my favs Imanotsurugi and Ishipapa got a lot of scenes, as well as my friend's fav Nama-chan
Hasebe shut up u meme
Dear saniwa: don't send level 1s to Ikedaya
And the ED was great as well. Can't wait to see the rest
toblynarutoOct 2, 2016 11:49 AM
Oct 2, 2016 11:53 AM

May 2008
Some moment were cliche, and the art looked awkward at times, still it was a fun and cute episode.
Hasebe why u so precious XD
I was happy they included Kogitsunemaru in the opening, that means there's hope for him to show up in Hanamaru?
People already rated the show! I'd rather rate it once I finish watching all 12 episodes.
An ok episode, hopefully next episodes will be much better!
Oct 2, 2016 12:08 PM

Sep 2014
It's really nice to see animation in general for the toudan, I kept fangirling during the opening due to that.

Overall, animation is alright, and it's really interesting to see the personalities interact outside of headcanon and gameplay recollections.

I kept cracking up at the little things that stay true to the gameplay like Ishikirimaru's slowness and that part where they want Hasebe to ask the Saniwa for more repair space. The real struggles of Touken Ranbu! (lol)

Looking forward to more! I wonder how many of the opening swords will appear...

Oct 2, 2016 12:29 PM

Feb 2010
It was everything I wanted it to be and more

The only way this'll get a 10/10 for me though is if Horikawa becomes a main
Oct 2, 2016 12:45 PM

Nov 2012
This was very entertaining to watch. Yasusada is best husband.
Oct 2, 2016 12:51 PM
May 2016
what the hell is this? is it just me who didnt understand the plot?
Oct 2, 2016 12:54 PM

Apr 2015
anohimenome said:
it's pretty hard to understand if you're not familiar with the shinsengumi
Oct 2, 2016 1:06 PM

Sep 2014
I think this was a good start. But I think it will be pretty hard for none fans of the game to understand what's going on. I've been playing for over a year, so I'm going to stick with it to the end.
Oct 2, 2016 1:09 PM

Mar 2012
Ehhh, I'm really hoping the ufotable season will be less light hearted. Other than that, you can really tell this is a DMM/Kadokawa game with the Light, Moderate, Heavy Wounds, Repair Room space, and character type advantage in indoor/outdoor battles.

Like in a previous DMM/Kadokawa game adaptation (not that I'm comparing the two), do away with the light hearted stuff, focus on the serious stuff, and this would be a great watch.
Oct 2, 2016 1:10 PM

Nov 2012
I've never played the games, but I feel like it was a good start.

Oct 2, 2016 1:12 PM

Nov 2012
anohimenome said:

The saniwa, the nameless person who turned swords into human, uses sword boys to go to the past to defeat kebiishi (the bad guys) who want to alter history. That's pretty much the plot of Touken Ranbu.
Oct 2, 2016 1:13 PM
May 2016
Raz1515 said:
anohimenome said:
it's pretty hard to understand if you're not familiar with the shinsengumi

excuse me? i am really familiar with shinsengumi.
i just dont know their swords have names. and im really suprised the swords can use swords lol.

i disappointed with this because im actually hoping to see okita and hijikata.
NOT THE SWORDS
Oct 2, 2016 1:14 PM

Jul 2012
anohimenome said:
NOT THE SWORDS
did you not read the summary before coming in? the entire anime is about humanized swords
Oct 2, 2016 1:14 PM
May 2016
Shigure said:
anohimenome said:

The saniwa, the nameless person who turned swords into human, uses sword boys to go to the past to defeat kebiishi (the bad guys) who want to alter history. That's pretty much the plot of Touken Ranbu.

thank youuuuuu :) i appreciate that
Oct 2, 2016 1:15 PM

Jul 2015
And here I was thinking Yasusada was a girl. I like the comedy, but idk about all that bishounen fluff
Oct 2, 2016 1:17 PM
May 2016
Mayuka said:
anohimenome said:
NOT THE SWORDS
did you not read the summary before coming in? the entire anime is about humanized swords

lol yeah i thought i read the synopsis. sigh. what am i going to do now? im disappointed, really
Oct 2, 2016 1:19 PM

Jul 2012
anohimenome said:
Mayuka said:

lol yeah i thought i read the synopsis. sigh. what am i going to do now? im disappointed, really
Drop it. You're not gonna like it lol. Go watch the ufotable one.
Oct 2, 2016 1:23 PM

Sep 2015
I didn't know what I was watching and I don't know what I watched
Maybe it can be good, ... let's wait
Oct 2, 2016 1:33 PM

May 2014
You're gonna be confused if you've never played the game tbh.
Oct 2, 2016 1:38 PM

Oct 2015
1/10 and dropped looked good due thoose samurai like outfits but nothin but bunch of dudes just too much fujoshi stuff for my taste lately with summer and now in fall season aswell....
Oct 2, 2016 2:17 PM

Jul 2011
Art and animation is gorgeous, but plot is boring af...

And this is an adaptation of a popular mobile game in Japan right? I remember seeing some article about cosplaying at Comiket and this was a popular one for otome I believe.
Oct 2, 2016 2:23 PM

Mar 2010
the episode felt like it took forever to finish, reminds me of orange
Oct 2, 2016 2:35 PM

Jul 2011
I'm so happy to see my dear sword boys finally getting animated. Though I guess the saniwa will never show up just like Kancolle's admiral.. sigh.
Oct 2, 2016 2:36 PM

Jul 2014
Mirorin said:

And this is an adaptation of a popular mobile game in Japan right? I remember seeing some article about cosplaying at Comiket and this was a popular one for otome I believe.

It's a browser game (there is a mobile version though)
Oct 2, 2016 2:41 PM

Nov 2008
This suuucks. Didn't expect the girly-looking guys to be... well, guys :|
Oct 2, 2016 2:49 PM

Sep 2014
Only watching this because of that Doga kobo animation :D

Although I got pretty bored.
Oct 2, 2016 3:02 PM

Jul 2012
vikki7783 said:
Mirorin said:

It's a browser game (there is a mobile version though)
It's Kancolle but for girls.
Oct 2, 2016 3:53 PM
May 2015
I didn't know this was a game but I do like it, yes. I was also surprised to find out they were all boys but I am not complaining.
Oct 2, 2016 4:44 PM

Apr 2014
Seems like the seasonal "Kinda gay but not really show". Nothing special so far, might become good, might become bad, who knows?
Oct 2, 2016 5:11 PM
Jul 2018
Just finished it sometime ago today so I will give my thoughts so far. I didn't thought it was amazing but it was better than what I have initially thought here. From the art and animation, towards some of my favorites introduced here. I'm pretty happy with the results though.

By the way, I did laughed at the fact that the scene with the Horse Manure xD Like WOW, YOU LITERALLY HAD TO GIVE HIM HORSE MANURE (or shit ya know). Like Lol. Other than that, it was PRETTY ENJOYABLE. ^^
Oct 2, 2016 5:40 PM

Jan 2011
after that op this is not the Touken Ranbu i will watching for now sadly, several times i was thinking that clearly looks like a girl but nope lol when bishounens go to far
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 13, 2016

33 by lunarches »»
Dec 24, 2023 8:12 AM

Poll: » Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2016

33 by iamafreak »»
Feb 16, 2023 12:15 AM

Poll: » Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2016

22 by iamafreak »»
Feb 16, 2023 12:07 AM

Poll: » Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2016

12 by iamafreak »»
Feb 15, 2023 5:59 PM

» Should I watch Touken Ranbu Hanamaru?

RuiZleipa - Jan 28, 2018

6 by Konani »»
Jan 20, 2019 2:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.