Forum Settings
Forums

Why do people dislike a main character easily?

New
Sep 25, 2016 8:35 PM
Jul 2015
What I mean by this is that I've noticed many times people will automatically like or dislike a character based on whether they're a wimp or a bad***. If a character is some overpowered guy that rarely looses fights/gets endangered and acts all tough, many anime fans tend to automatically like that character (I.e. Saitama, Tastuya Shiba, Light Yagami) and if they're are weak and whine a lot people tend to automatically dislike or even hate them (I.e Deku, Yuki).

Now me personally I prefer realistic characters. It doesn't matter how cool or lame they are, (to an extent) what matters is that they get good characterization and are realistic. I don't hate Yuki because he's a wimp and can't fight off the other diary users, he's realistic in that sense. I don't like him because he's unrealistic in how gullible he is and he forgives others way too easily. I don't like Light Yagami because he's extremely smart (so is L -_-) I hate Light because he's evil and killed so many people who most likely didn't deserve to die, not that he has the right to judge anyway. So what do you think about the topic?
Nothing to see here
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 25, 2016 8:37 PM

Jun 2014
Because they're the main focus of the show, thus you're gonna have to be putting up with them a lot, especially if it's done through the eyes of the protag, so stuff like Deku in Hero Academia can be annoying to some people if you're just watching him cry and run away for 4 episodes.

If you dislike a side character, chances are they will be easier to put up with unless they become a primary antagonist.
Sep 25, 2016 9:13 PM

Jun 2015
Well duh. Because preferences obviously.
Sep 25, 2016 9:28 PM

Mar 2016
You usually spend more time with the main character than anyone else so anything people dislike about them is only going to be amplified

Light Yagami is a horrible human being, but it's fascinating to see his thought process in a show where he is the bad guy yet the main character

I felt more people liked Deku than not and Kirito gets a lot of shit for being an overpowered character, or rather nothing but an overpowered character. Most characters have personalities. Kirito doesn't.
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Sep 25, 2016 9:39 PM

Sep 2013
Well you just need to realize that Light single-handedly bettered society through his actions, while everyone else (especially the investigators) was evil for trying to stop him just so they could keep things the same (which is not very good). People wish for world peace and a safe society all the time, so Light gave it to them. In return, they killed him and everything goes back to death and taxes.
Sep 26, 2016 12:25 AM

May 2015
It's hard to write main characters since they have both to drive the story and react to it. Having a great main character means your story won't be orderly but driven by that character's personality.

Notice how Code Geass refuses to touch on Lelouch's psychology too deeply. It would drive it off-course, and there would be less battles/elaborate chess games.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Sep 26, 2016 12:31 AM

Apr 2013
You get a lot more insight on a main character since he gets more screentime than everyone else, which means you get a lot more reasons to possibly dislike him. Also there are a bunch of generic protagonist blueprints if you want to call it, so people tend to get bored after seeing the 25th Naruto or Kirito doing the same stuff over and over again.

Of course that's just my humble opinion.
Sep 26, 2016 3:46 AM

Mar 2016
I just can't take characters like Kirito and Subaru seriously.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Sep 26, 2016 4:45 AM

Apr 2015
Being a main character, they're likely going to be under the most scrutiny. To an extent, they either have a direct influence on the plot, or the plot revolves around them. With a poor main character, the entire story could easily fall apart. Hence, they will be judged the harshest.

There is also a lot of wish-fulfillment involved in this media, like with any media. If a character fulfills what someone imagines they could/should do in said situation, they're likely to be enjoyed much more then one that is more 'realistically' thought out, or conversely, thought out so unrealistically that there is no understandable reasoning to it.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Sep 26, 2016 5:17 AM

Dec 2012
They're exposed the most and you're with them through out the whole series for the most part. A big group is bound to hate on that. From my experience as a anime fan, and a wrestling fan... the internet doesn't really know what it wants. They'll bitch about almost anything. There's always silent individuals who don't give a fuck about it and just enjoy what's given to them.
Sep 26, 2016 5:47 AM

Aug 2016
Because if I have to stare at his/her damn face for longer than an hour, I want the character to at least be tolerable if not relatable or interesting.
Sep 26, 2016 5:49 AM

May 2009
I simply don't like main characters with annoying traits.
Sep 26, 2016 5:49 AM

Jan 2013
because new anime MCs are the worst kind of MCs. Pussy MCs so the otakus in japan can self-insert. The true and genuine MCs will always be those like Joe or Onizuka
Sep 26, 2016 5:59 AM

Jan 2012
It's a story and it's entertainment. Is it entertaining seeing someone you don't particularly like?
Sep 26, 2016 6:20 AM

Jun 2016
I don't have a problem with MCs that isn't a badass. I honestly have problems with MCs that always complains and absolutely unlikable or unrelatable.Most of the time I find badass MCs are overrated because I find that most of the time there's nothing more going on with these kind of characters other than being badass and awesome.
Sep 26, 2016 6:56 AM

Aug 2013
I think that a lot of people dislike main characters because they often tend to be cookie cutter archetypes that primarily serve to be the "seat" of the viewer. Now there's nothing inherently wrong with that, but it is very common that a lot of personality and depth is sacrificed as a consequence, which consequently leads to the main character feeling bland, one-dimensional and unrealistic.

Sometimes the main chracters in anime and manga feel like they were written by a 14-year-old, though.
Sep 26, 2016 7:13 AM

Oct 2015
Personally, I think all the time, and when I watch an anime, a movie or a serie, I think about possibilities. So, if a character frustrates me, it's because they do something I deem as being strategically stupid (Or just don't do anything at all? The reasons for my frustration can depend), which would be very frustrating for me.
For instance, I strongly dislike Shinji Ikari from Evangelion because he is very frustrating for me : Sure he's a wimp, but that in itself is okay, I'd say normal in his situation. But it doesn't excuse the shit he does, his behaviour annoyed me many times.
Sep 26, 2016 7:40 AM

Sep 2012
Interestingly people have different thing they like when it comes to MC...

Shocking right?
Sep 26, 2016 8:55 AM

May 2016
Maybe it's because people have higher expectations for the main character because they're the face of the series. Getting outshined by many characters in the show isn't exactly what people would call main. Plus the notion that we know most MC types already.

Sep 26, 2016 9:18 AM

Oct 2013
Being the main protagonist your going to follow around in the whole series, yes I will dislike a protagonist that is a wimp or someone who is monotone and boring. It makes the anime not have any excitement and dull moments just because how the character shapes the anime.
Sep 26, 2016 9:24 AM
Jul 2018
It's not as good as they expected, I think. To begin with, there's no point to bother such a subjective thing like that. So, chill my boyo.
Sep 26, 2016 12:08 PM

Oct 2012
Except Yuki isn't realistic, if you're not a complete annoying wimp in real life who is probably bullied, which is the target audience of some anime shows apparently. If the MC of a show is below the threshold of normality to make the show interesting, then he doesn't deserve to be the MC, unless the point of the show is to make some point in that regard. In most other literature, characters (especially the protagonist) grows over the course of the story. In anime, they remain mostly stagnant, and make no important self-discoveries (only minor ones). So it doesn't make sense to put up with a wimp forever. It's like putting up with trying to teach a kid with autism who just doesn't absorb any lesson. You can put a shounen MC who is all about nakama and good will of others through a life threatening event of betrayal, and he will still act like the cardboard cutout he's meant to be, fixated on a completely unrealistic ideal that most people over the age of 6 has already figured out.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Sep 26, 2016 12:32 PM

Jul 2015
because as of lately, most mcs are otaku/neets that are useless and average, but magically are transformed into some shounen hero.
or they're some everyday kid who had to live through some tragic event, and now have to get stronger to overcome their past, get revenge, or self-discovery. either way their determination is what makes them "special" from others.

they're generic overused tropes, and although they somewhat have a personality, they're really all the same. eren from aot, rin from ao no exorcist, kaneki from tg, etc.
CatSep 26, 2016 12:36 PM
Sep 26, 2016 12:36 PM

Jan 2014
The ONLY kind of MC that pisses me off so much is when it's a harem and the MC is a complete beta pussy. It's absolutely infuriating.
Sep 26, 2016 12:54 PM

Nov 2015
Probably because of the fact that a lot of anime nowadays is unsettlingly centered around self-insertion.

Protagonists are the vessel through which we understand and view the entire plot. If the MC makes unsatisfying decisions, it leads to unsatisfying plot developments. This is why so many video games with choices have silent/"blank" protagonists, if they had a personality it would influence the players choice and thus effect the entire game. An anime MC has to have a personality though, so people are angry when they don't make decisions they want.
Sep 26, 2016 1:25 PM

Mar 2015
Everyone just has their personal tastes.

Tho tbh if you are watching a series and you are mostly watching a character whine and complain about whatever situation they are in, it's not exactly something that would be appealing to people.

Also you can't say Light is overpowered at all, least to the same category as Saitama. With Saitama's character he's purposely op on which the name of the series makes it a dead give away. Is Light overpowered? Not at all, it's an object that makes him seem this way, take the book away from him and all you have is a smart character who can't make changes to the world.

Regarding you comment about Yuki from Mirai Nikki, his character was never made to be appealing to begin with, the series was primarily focused on Yuno. What good is a yandere who can protect someone who can protect them self .
Sep 26, 2016 1:56 PM

Aug 2016
It's the character you're exposed to the most. Your feelings of this character are only going to be amplified by the exposure you receive.
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Sep 26, 2016 2:02 PM

Aug 2016
Because they are the character that will get the most screen time, hence you'll be exposed to their personality and reactions a lot more. If you're exposed to someone to whines and cries like a bitch in every episode, you'll obviously dislike him/her.
ffs
Oct 1, 2016 12:44 PM
Jul 2015
nep-nep said:
Well you just need to realize that Light single-handedly bettered society through his actions, while everyone else (especially the investigators) was evil for trying to stop him just so they could keep things the same (which is not very good). People wish for world peace and a safe society all the time, so Light gave it to them. In return, they killed him and everything goes back to death and taxes.

You have no idea how the world works hunny
Nothing to see here
Oct 1, 2016 12:49 PM
Jul 2015
Tr
Touma said:
They're exposed the most and you're with them through out the whole series for the most part. A big group is bound to hate on that. From my experience as a anime fan, and a wrestling fan... the internet doesn't really know what it wants. They'll bitch about almost anything. There's always silent individuals who don't give a fuck about it and just enjoy what's given to them.

True dat, I was just curious about it tho
Nothing to see here
Oct 1, 2016 12:56 PM
Jul 2015
NasalShark said:
Probably because of the fact that a lot of anime nowadays is unsettlingly centered around self-insertion.

Protagonists are the vessel through which we understand and view the entire plot. If the MC makes unsatisfying decisions, it leads to unsatisfying plot developments. This is why so many video games with choices have silent/"blank" protagonists, if they had a personality it would influence the players choice and thus effect the entire game. An anime MC has to have a personality though, so people are angry when they don't make decisions they want.

Why would you want a mc to make decisions that you want? They're a character and they should make decisions based on what their character is
Nothing to see here
Oct 1, 2016 1:12 PM

Nov 2015
AnimeMangaLord said:
NasalShark said:

Why would you want a mc to make decisions that you want? They're a character and they should make decisions based on what their character is

Thats my point. The MC has to have a personality, which means the choices they make are controlled by their personality. When someone takes an issue with any of the advancements in the plot, it generally leads back to a decision made by the protagonist, and thus it becomes an issue with the MC them self.
Oct 1, 2016 1:17 PM

Oct 2015
Because I am wasting 24min * 13 or 25 episodes mostly watching that same MC.

"I want to save the world, friendship is the true magic, I am nice 24/7 and also whiny" MC is boring.

Now, Light was very interesting to watch. Fave.
Oct 1, 2016 1:21 PM

Sep 2012
"Wimp who whines a lot" is MAL-speak for "14 year old who doesn't enjoy getting murdered".

People are retarded and automatically hate any character who takes away screen time from their "wiafu" or whichever harem-cow they consider "best girl".
Oct 1, 2016 1:33 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
Was surprised not to read Subaru through the thread, has to Ctrl+F.
People you better learn your classics.

Oct 1, 2016 1:37 PM

Apr 2014
Most shows I've seen have an MC they wanna 'develop'. Which is okay, but the way they act through this is annoying. Crying, being a baby, yelling at everyone without being logical or having an understanding. It's all no annoying.
Oct 1, 2016 4:29 PM

Apr 2016
cause it's the cool thing to do. 1111
Oct 3, 2016 10:34 PM
Jul 2018
everyone knows that the supporting cast many times ends up being superior to the mc
Oct 3, 2016 10:38 PM
Jul 2018
The only mc's aside from few of my favs that I like are the ones from hentais, they never fail to impress me with the amount of times they can cum
Oct 3, 2016 11:35 PM

May 2015
NasalShark said:
AnimeMangaLord said:

Thats my point. The MC has to have a personality, which means the choices they make are controlled by their personality. When someone takes an issue with any of the advancements in the plot, it generally leads back to a decision made by the protagonist, and thus it becomes an issue with the MC them self.

Actually, a lot of anime leave the MC with few choices. NHK is an example - things only land on the MC, he never has to create plot threads. Such anime often have the worst characters.
Oct 4, 2016 1:13 AM

Jun 2015
It's easier to dislike a character who has more screen time, I guess.

Oct 4, 2016 3:16 AM

Nov 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:

Actually, a lot of anime leave the MC with few choices. NHK is an example - things only land on the MC, he never has to create plot threads. Such anime often have the worst characters.

Ey, Satou is a great character :p

I guess you're right, though in those anime the MCs indecisiveness or unwillingness to take control of the situation becomes the trait people dislike. So in a way, it still leads back to the MCs impact on the plot (or lack of).
Oct 4, 2016 1:56 PM

May 2015
NasalShark said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Ey, Satou is a great character :p

I guess you're right, though in those anime the MCs indecisiveness or unwillingness to take control of the situation becomes the trait people dislike. So in a way, it still leads back to the MCs impact on the plot (or lack of).

If you call a hikki who, despite being shut in his house has no hobbies and doesn't know the internet a good character - well, to each his own.
Oct 4, 2016 2:02 PM

Apr 2015
I didn't mind Deku at all. The only type of MC I really don't like are jerks, like Hikari in Nagi no Asukara.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Oct 4, 2016 2:10 PM
Jul 2018
Because usually MC's are people who you are suppose to kinda project yourself onto and people hate themselves.
Oct 4, 2016 2:28 PM

Nov 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
If you call a hikki who, despite being shut in his house has no hobbies and doesn't know the internet a good character - well, to each his own.

Nitpicking at small things, that have absolutely nothing to do with the characters personal journey and what he contributes to the tone and philosophy of the show has no bearing on how good a character is - well, to each his own.
Oct 4, 2016 5:57 PM

Jun 2016
They're likely the one you're going to be stuck with the longest, so I think it's easier to be a lot more critical of any possible flaws. That, and sometimes main characters become too "main character-y" and lose a lot of individuality for the sake of tropes. Hence why a lot of side characters show up on favorites lists. Personally, I don't usually straight up hate a character, unless they're just terribly written. It's generally more of a gradually increasing dislike for them, if anything.
Oct 4, 2016 6:14 PM
Jul 2018
I am the same where I like the realistic type of characters, and it really doesn't matter how much "Super Power" they have. A realistic character, with ideals, goals/objectives, personal character development or natural weaknesses that he must overcome and strengthen, etc., are what make an MC a good and likable character to me, not because he's the strongest fighter or anything like that.

I also like characters that are more mentally strong than physically strong, if that's worth adding.
Oct 4, 2016 6:25 PM
Jul 2015
Red_Keys said:
"Wimp who whines a lot" is MAL-speak for "14 year old who doesn't enjoy getting murdered".

People are retarded and automatically hate any character who takes away screen time from their "wiafu" or whichever harem-cow they consider "best girl".

Exactly lol. That's what I was mainly talking about but some people in this thread seem to miss the point
Nothing to see here
Oct 4, 2016 11:18 PM

May 2015
NasalShark said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Nitpicking at small things, that have absolutely nothing to do with the characters personal journey and what he contributes to the tone and philosophy of the show has no bearing on how good a character is - well, to each his own.

Philosophy? I just saw how conformity is amazing and that you should stop being weird. I never saw the active hostility of the world, the pain of failure. It was all wink-wink, look how quirky it is but eventually a girl will come to save you!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Which "Attitudinal Psyche" do you think you are? (very easy 3-question)

IpreferEcchi - 5 minutes ago

0 by IpreferEcchi »»
5 minutes ago

» Women live longer than men

MUFFlN - Yesterday

26 by traed »»
35 minutes ago

» Cyber Trucks vs NFTs

KittenCuddler - 4 hours ago

5 by vasipi4946 »»
1 hour ago

» Have you ever experienced something scary, disturbing, or unsettling?

SaltyCookie - Yesterday

24 by MalchikRepaid »»
1 hour ago

» Whats's your favourite snack food?

Towaii7 - Mar 22

25 by pludel2 »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.