Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 23, 2016 5:40 AM

Jan 2012
Lawyer: After School Satan Club must be allowed to proceed.

MOUNT VERNON — A so-called "After School Satan Club" proposed by the Satanic Temple of Seattle to be held at Centennial Elementary School should be allowed to proceed, an attorney hired to represent the Mount Vernon School District said.

“I think that if the school district denied that application, you would face costly litigation that would be distracting from your mission," said Duncan Fobes of the Seattle-based law firm Patterson, Buchanan, Fobes and Leitch during a Wednesday meeting of the Mount Vernon School Board. "And would ultimately be unsuccessful.”

Fobes was hired by the district's risk-pool insurance group to assess whether the district had legal standing to deny the temple's application.

More...

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 23, 2016 5:59 AM

Apr 2015
Good. Religious freedom means all religions, and some people who claim that religious freedom is great get incredibly uncomfortable when a religion they take issue with (Muslims, Satanists) wants that same freedom.
CatSoulSep 23, 2016 7:56 AM
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 23, 2016 7:18 AM

Mar 2016
I never really understood satanism. I mean, the devil's a loser right? Like literally. He got kicked out of heaven and has nothing better to do than corrupt innocent souls with loli yuri since he's salty. Why would you worship him?

CatSoul said:
Good. Religious freedom means all religions, and some people who claim that religious freedom is great get incredibly uncomfortable when a religion they take issue with (Islam, Muslims, Satanists) wants that same freedom.

Muslims practice Islam so you might want to remove that repetition.
Sep 23, 2016 9:28 AM

Jun 2016
TheDeadApostle said:
I never really understood satanism. I mean, the devil's a loser right? Like literally. He got kicked out of heaven and has nothing better to do than corrupt innocent souls with loli yuri since he's salty. Why would you worship him?

Well, satanists believe that satan is really the only one who actually influences human lives (what with giving them knowledge with the apple and shit) and that therefore they'd rather worship him than god, who they think doesn't interfere with human life at all. I'm no expert, but that's basically the gist of satanism. Real satanists aren't necessarily evil either.
Also, satan and Lucifer the fallen angel might not be the same entity. Again, I'm no expert, but a friend of mine studied theology and he said scripture isn't quite clear on that distinction (like it is with a lot of things.)

Anyway, OT: I think this is pretty funny. I think that, rather than exactly advocating satanism, they're forcing the community to adhere to their laws and see if any cognitive dissonance happens with the residents or the school or maybe the justice system regarding freedom of religion.
Sep 23, 2016 9:35 AM

Nov 2008
Aren't they a bit young to be converting to Satanism? At least wait until Middle School for those decisions.

Sep 23, 2016 9:37 AM

Jan 2014
Hoppy said:
Aren't they a bit young to be converting to Satanism? At least wait until Middle School for those decisions.
It's never too young to sell your soul.
Sep 23, 2016 10:11 AM

Aug 2010
Bowie said:
Isn't this the synopsis of K-on?

I literally opened the thread to say that I think it's what Houkago Tea Time translates too.
Sep 23, 2016 10:20 AM

Sep 2016
The Satanic Temple isn't actually Satanic, they're a group of Atheists critical of religion.

That said, loved this when it hit the news a couple months ago, love it now. Specifically they're targeting schools that the Good News Bible Club, a fundamentalist Christian group, have set up shop in to teach children.
Sep 23, 2016 10:35 AM

Jul 2009
Omg it's the Sakuragaoka High School Light Music Club in real life!
Sep 23, 2016 12:27 PM

Apr 2016
ffs witches need to be illegal. To the people saying that this should be allowed for religious freedom, no.

Satanists believe that they can win the battle against God by getting enough people on their side. And to do this, they use curses and witchcraft to torment christians.

Whether or not you believe in this stuff, their intentions are bad. The purpose of Satanism is to destroy christianity. Allowing this is like allowing radical islam.

A religion that only exists to destroy other religions has no place in our society. Witches should be put in prison.
Sep 23, 2016 12:31 PM

May 2010
UnpopularAnime said:
The purpose of Satanism is to destroy christianity. Allowing this is like allowing radical islam.

Which is fine.

No one is allowing radical Satanists. Just Satanists.
Sep 23, 2016 12:40 PM

Apr 2016
Thrashinuva said:
UnpopularAnime said:
The purpose of Satanism is to destroy christianity. Allowing this is like allowing radical islam.

Which is fine.

Any satanist is radical. The purpose is to destroy christianity, there's no such thing as a peaceful satanist.

They don't go to a church, say "praise the devil!", and keep to themselves. No, they actively search out christianity and do what they can to get rid of it and convert them to satanism.
Sep 23, 2016 1:04 PM

May 2010
UnpopularAnime said:
Thrashinuva said:

Which is fine.

Any satanist is radical. The purpose is to destroy christianity, there's no such thing as a peaceful satanist.

They don't go to a church, say "praise the devil!", and keep to themselves. No, they actively search out christianity and do what they can to get rid of it and convert them to satanism.

No they don't. Your just trying to turn a stereotype into a fact.
Sep 23, 2016 1:08 PM

Dec 2015
I'm not a religious person and I shouldn't care that much, but they're still kids man, at their age this won't be a "after school club" but an "after school indoctrination club". Nope nope nope.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Sep 23, 2016 1:12 PM

Sep 2016
Which, again, is why this club is existing in the first place. They're Atheists setting up shop in places where a fundamentalist after school "indoctrination" club have decided to dig in at.
Sep 23, 2016 1:42 PM

May 2010
joe_g7 said:
I'm not a religious person and I shouldn't care that much, but they're still kids man, at their age this won't be a "after school club" but an "after school indoctrination club". Nope nope nope.

I mean I don't see you complaining about church schools.
Sep 23, 2016 1:48 PM

Dec 2015
Thrashinuva said:
joe_g7 said:

I mean I don't see you complaining about church schools.

Because that's not the discussion topic right now, and don't think that I like church schools any more than I would like Satan schools or clubs.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Sep 23, 2016 1:51 PM

Apr 2016
Thrashinuva said:
UnpopularAnime said:

Yes they do, it's exactly what their religion is based around. Do your research
Sep 23, 2016 1:58 PM
Jul 2018
UnpopularAnime said:
Thrashinuva said:

I am not sure if you are trolling him, he's trolling you or you are trolling each other
Sep 23, 2016 2:05 PM

May 2010
UnpopularAnime said:
Thrashinuva said:

And Christians are always faithful to their spouses, as that's what their religion is based around.
Sep 23, 2016 2:19 PM

Nov 2009
UnpopularAnime said:
Thrashinuva said:

THE SEVEN FUNDAMENTAL TENETS OF THE SATANIC TEMPLE

1. One should strive to act with compassion and empathy towards all creatures in accordance with reason.

2. The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.

3. One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.

4. The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo your own.

5. Beliefs should conform to our best scientific understanding of the world. We should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit our beliefs.

6. People are fallible. If we make a mistake, we should do our best to rectify it and resolve any harm that may have been caused.

7. Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.

source: https://thesatanictempleseattle.com/

If you ask me it is an atheistic group just trolling Christians since they are the low hanging fruit in the world of easily butthurt individuals.
Sep 23, 2016 3:03 PM

Apr 2016
Thrashinuva said:
UnpopularAnime said:

And Christians are always faithful to their spouses, as that's what their religion is based around.

Christianity is based around Jesus... Are you saying that some only some satanists do what I described, like how some christians are faithful to their spouse?

Well then do your research, as i said before. Satanism is all about defeating God..
Sep 23, 2016 3:39 PM

May 2010
UnpopularAnime said:
Thrashinuva said:

Christianity is based around Jesus... Are you saying that some only some satanists do what I described, like how some christians are faithful to their spouse?

Well then do your research, as i said before. Satanism is all about defeating God..

God is an imaginary being.

As such, you could view "defeating god" in a SHIT LOAD of ways, such as being passively aggressive towards people who try to spread their faith.

You ascribe violence to them through arbitrary arguments based loosely on the facts.

Some can be violent, just as some in any group can be violent, but it isn't violent by nature, like you are trying to make it out to be.
Sep 23, 2016 3:50 PM

Sep 2016
Will there be tea?
MONIKA ONLY
Sep 23, 2016 3:54 PM

May 2016
UnpopularAnime said:
Thrashinuva said:

Which is fine.

destroying Christianity=good. I think I should be a Satanist now to help the cause
Sep 23, 2016 4:09 PM

Sep 2015
eh people who go there will be bullied out of it tbh
Sep 23, 2016 4:31 PM

Jan 2014
Such silliness. Just people trying to one up each other on being triggered.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Sep 23, 2016 6:57 PM

Mar 2008
TheDeadApostle said:

Most Satanists are Atheists that use Satan as a symbol of natural human behaviour and a way to troll Christians. The spiritual satanists think the bible is slanderous against satan. Luciferians see Lucifer as a loving helper of God and aim for transcendence.
Sep 23, 2016 7:01 PM

May 2010
traed said:
TheDeadApostle said:

Most Satanists are Atheists that use Satan as a symbol of natural human behaviour and a way to troll Christians. The spiritual satanists think the bible is slanderous against satan. Luciferians see Lucifer as a loving helper of God and aim for transcendence.

What about those who recognize that Lucifer was just a nickname for Venus in a time before people knew what planets were, and over time people made shit up about things they didn't understand and put it in the bible?
Sep 23, 2016 7:17 PM

Mar 2008
Thrashinuva said:
traed said:

What about those who recognize that Lucifer was just a nickname for Venus in a time before people knew what planets were, and over time people made shit up about things they didn't understand and put it in the bible?

Actually Lucifer was the Babylonian king. "The morning star" was an expression used to describe both this king and Jesus. Lucifer is also the Latin name of Phosphorus https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphorus_(morning_star)

I'm not sure what the satanic or luciferian view of it is.
Sep 23, 2016 7:17 PM

Apr 2016
Thrashinuva said:
UnpopularAnime said:

As such, you could view "defeating god" in a SHIT LOAD of ways, such as being passively aggressive towards people who try to spread their faith.

You ascribe violence to them through arbitrary arguments based loosely on the facts.

Some can be violent, just as some in any group can be violent, but it isn't violent by nature, like you are trying to make it out to be.

Yes it is violent by nature. http://www.churchofsatan.com/eleven-rules-of-earth.php

It is literally written down in their book - if someone is annoying, you treat him cruelly and without mercy.

How do you understand this as "Some can be violent, just as some in any group can be violent, but it isn't violent by nature"
Sep 23, 2016 7:29 PM

May 2010
traed said:
Thrashinuva said:

Actually Lucifer was the Babylonian king. "The morning star" was an expression used to describe both this king and Jesus. Lucifer is also the Latin name of Phosphorus https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphorus_(morning_star)

I'm not sure what the satanic or luciferian view of it is.

Morning Star was a description of Venus. Lucifer, literally meaning "bringer of light", was the morning star aka Venus, which brought the sun. "Morning Star" wasn't a name. It didn't need capital letters. It merely described a thing that existed. People personified it, and people who didn't understand personification started to think that "Lucifer" was a name, and not a thing. The stories came after the misunderstanding.
Sep 23, 2016 7:45 PM
Feb 2016
An interesting situation no doubt. I would say I would be in favor of it. I myself am not a Satanist even though I am irreligious. Despite this, all members of a religion deserve the right to freedom of speech and expression. If Christians can hold religious clubs in schools, then so can Satanists.

Sep 23, 2016 8:21 PM

Mar 2008
The ad they made for it makes it so much better lol
Sep 23, 2016 8:55 PM
Jul 2018
LOLOLOLOLOL sounds like a nice club to join
Sep 23, 2016 9:05 PM

Mar 2008
UnpopularAnime said:
Thrashinuva said:

Yes it is violent by nature. http://www.churchofsatan.com/eleven-rules-of-earth.php

It is literally written down in their book - if someone is annoying, you treat him cruelly and without mercy.

How do you understand this as "Some can be violent, just as some in any group can be violent, but it isn't violent by nature"

The Church of Satan isn't the Satanic Temple. If I recall right they have their own texts.

Anyways LaVeyan Satanism is just to make Christians spaz out over nothing. The Satanic Bible is written in an overly dramatic fashion so it uses over the top language like "destroy them" when it really means verbally not physically. They even say on the Church of Satan website not to break the law. The Satanic Temple is more an advocate group that is for secularism of government. They don't give a shit about converting peopl.
Sep 23, 2016 11:19 PM
Jul 2018
TheDeadApostle said:
Hey, what's wrong with loli yuri? If you talk shit about that I'll fucking murder you m8
Sep 24, 2016 5:45 AM

Dec 2014
what is the world turning into...
Sep 24, 2016 6:01 AM

Mar 2015
thejohnnie said:
TheDeadApostle said:

Well, satanists believe that satan is really the only one who actually influences human lives (what with giving them knowledge with the apple and shit) and that therefore they'd rather worship him than god, who they think doesn't interfere with human life at all. I'm no expert, but that's basically the gist of satanism. Real satanists aren't necessarily evil either.
Also, satan and Lucifer the fallen angel might not be the same entity. Again, I'm no expert, but a friend of mine studied theology and he said scripture isn't quite clear on that distinction (like it is with a lot of things.)

Anyway, OT: I think this is pretty funny. I think that, rather than exactly advocating satanism, they're forcing the community to adhere to their laws and see if any cognitive dissonance happens with the residents or the school or maybe the justice system regarding freedom of religion.
that's awfully sound like how shiva is most prayed in hinds belive...
ibraheem234 said:
what is the world turning into...
A GAINT MEME! come at me baby...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Sep 24, 2016 4:22 PM

Jan 2013
Do you want bible black IRL? Because this is how you get bible black IRL.

lol, I don't care, let em do what they want. Not like all these american politicians constantly spouting shit about god and jesus practice what they preach/follow.
Sep 27, 2016 3:50 PM

Mar 2016
When you're drunk looking for an actual Satanist community on MAL.
SMH
Lie until what you want to be true becomes truth. Lie until you can't remember what's a lie and what isn't.  Lie until you aren't lying anymore!
Figures
Sep 27, 2016 4:04 PM
Jul 2018
TheDeadApostle said:
I never really understood satanism. I mean, the devil's a loser right?

He got kicked out of heaven and has nothing better to do than corrupt innocent souls with loli yuri since he's salty. Why would you worship him?

Loli yuri is not satan's work, it is a god's gift to us.
Sep 27, 2016 5:02 PM

Jul 2009
You know what I find amusing? That Satanism is actually turning into a popular thing in the age of homosexual and womanly freedoms, individualism, secularism.

Coincidence? I'll let you digest that thought.
Sep 27, 2016 5:06 PM

Dec 2015
There's a christian club at my school, I don't see why other religions can't have their own clubs as long as they follow the school rules.
Sep 27, 2016 8:51 PM

Apr 2016
Tsundereppoi said:
You know what I find amusing? That Satanism is actually turning into a popular thing in the age of homosexual and womanly freedoms, individualism, secularism.

Coincidence? I'll let you digest that thought.
Yea it's a crazy coincidence. They also say that the devil's biggest trick is fooling the world into thinking he doesn't exist, and lots of these satanists claim they don't believe in God.
Sep 27, 2016 8:53 PM
Jul 2018
Now why would anyone would wanna create a school club that worships a minor one-time character in a book of the Bible that almost no one reads or even know about.
Sep 28, 2016 7:17 AM

May 2016
And will children be allowed to slaughter goats and virgins? Best club ever.

I'm curious, do they actually worship Satan or it is the kind of satanism that is just atheism called that way to be edgy?
Sep 28, 2016 1:22 PM

Sep 2016
Laveyan satanism? Spiritual satanism?

If they're trying to promote Laveyan satanism they should just be honest and give them a copy of atlas shrugged or something instead. Cause that's all laveyan satanism is - objectivism through the backdoor.

My position on those ideologies? Whatever floats peoples boats.
Talk shit to me and so help me fucking god, I'll come over there and do absolutely nothing.
Sep 29, 2016 2:03 AM

Jun 2014
@Kotoneko-chan

They are atheists, so edgy isn't too far off the mark.

Personally I've never understood the point behind secular satanism (not that I understand spiritual either), other than choosing a name you know will get under Christians skin.

As far as the actual news article. Legally they have to allow them to use the facilities and they're not denying them access, but giving the temple publicity honestly seemed like the goal to begin with.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.