Forum Settings
Forums

It's happening : FUNimation and Crunchyroll announced partnership.

New
Sep 8, 2016 1:23 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Crunchyroll is getting all dem subs from FUNimation and FUNimation will be dub-only and getting all the dubs crunchyroll had and also will distribute crunchyroll's home-video releases.

It all starts today.

anyway, better look at the link below

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-09-08/crunchyroll-funimation-announce-partnership-to-share-content-via-streaming-home-video-est/.106234

Today is a good day.
My crunchyroll subscription is even more worth it now.
How do you feel about that?
DatRandomDudeSep 8, 2016 1:31 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 8, 2016 1:25 PM

Sep 2014
This'll be great, looking forward to it.
Sep 8, 2016 1:26 PM

Jul 2015
dont care
there is something called kissanime
Sep 8, 2016 1:27 PM

Jan 2008
If that means less having to torrent stuff then that's great, assuming Funimations entire library becomes available on CR.
Sep 8, 2016 1:27 PM

Sep 2015
DatRandomDude said:
Crunchyroll is getting all dem subs from FUNimation and FUNimation will be dub-only and getting all the dubs crunchyroll had and will have.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-09-08/crunchyroll-funimation-announce-partnership-to-share-content-via-streaming-home-video-est/.106234

Today is a good day.

less competition is never a good thing. rising subscription fees incoming

Sep 8, 2016 1:29 PM
Feb 2016
Ooh, I've always wanted to watch First Love Monster and Puzzle Dragons X on Crunchyroll! My dream is finally coming true!

OT: Seems pretty cool lmao
Sep 8, 2016 1:33 PM
Aug 2015
People actually watch dubbed anime?
Sep 8, 2016 1:36 PM
Aug 2014
Nigami_Shin said:

My thoughts exactly. Even though i like the idea of having seperate services for dubs and subs, so everyone can get the way they prefer without paying for stuff they not gonna watch anyway.
Sep 8, 2016 1:37 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Well I have CR but I still stream from other sites for the shows they don't have. That said, I think it's cool that they made this partnership.

Whether the price of subscription will rise doesn't matter to me because I can afford it. I think it's worth what I'm paying for now, so with more content an increase is understandable.
Sep 8, 2016 1:39 PM

Feb 2015
Ehhhh.... Mhhhh.... Is it a good thing or a bad thing? Please explain it to me what's happening since I have no clue what's going on.

And thanks in advance
Sep 8, 2016 1:42 PM
Dec 2014
Durarara said:
This'll be great, looking forward to it.

This. Now bakaBT doesn't have to worry about Funimation lawyers anymore and host EVERYTHING.

Sick of Funi sitting on licenses of old anime.
Sep 8, 2016 1:45 PM
Mar 2011
DatRandomDude said:
Crunchyroll is getting all dem subs from FUNimation and FUNimation will be dub-only and getting all the dubs crunchyroll had and also will distribute crunchyroll's home-video releases.

It all starts today.

anyway, better look at the link below

Today is a good day.
How do you feel about that?

funis translations by my stranded are ppor at best so are cr subbing
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"ο»Ώ

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 8, 2016 1:45 PM
Dec 2014
Bowie said:
Who watches anime legally nowadays, it's illegally or nothing.

Watched a show on Netflix once. dotHack/Quantum- although technically still piracy because of proxy I guess.
Sep 8, 2016 1:48 PM

Dec 2015
On_the_Lam said:

No. The companies just dump money into dubbing the shows for fun. /s
Sep 8, 2016 1:48 PM

Jan 2012
This is solid news. Looking forward to it.
Sep 8, 2016 1:49 PM

Aug 2015
Daily reminder that YOU ARE A PIRATE
Sep 8, 2016 1:49 PM
Aug 2013
Great news, glad to have more titles on CR.
Sep 8, 2016 1:51 PM
Aug 2015
0kku said:
On_the_Lam said:

No. The companies just dump money into dubbing the shows for fun. /s

Yeah, that works out pretty well sometimes... (AoT dub)
Sep 8, 2016 1:53 PM
Jul 2018
tragedydesu said:
dont care
bruh your dstroying th industry buy yur animu

Nah, kissanime ftw
Sep 8, 2016 2:00 PM

Feb 2010
I smell a cartel :>

But honestly it doesn't concern me since I don't stream. Good for them. Only time will tell if it'll also be good for the consumers who subscribe to these sites.

I'd rejoice if home releases ended up being cheaper because of it but I highly doubt that.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 8, 2016 2:05 PM

Mar 2014
TL;DR Cancer + AIDS = Cancer-AIDS

Anyway, back to kissanime
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained

Sep 2010
I'm not huge on dubs as much as I used to be and had been debating on getting Funi's sub only subscription to view their titles for a while. Guess I don't have to do that now with the partnership and just stick with my CR subscription. I can easily say that I'm happy about this.

I also think it's cool that Funi as a result knocked their subscription price down, something I'm sure the dub fans will be happy about.
Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Dec 2014
less competition for bidding in streaming rights->less money for japanese studios

bad news
Sep 8, 2016 2:12 PM

Feb 2016
This is great news for me since i accidentally subscibed for 1 more month on Crunchyroll :D

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Sep 8, 2016 2:14 PM
Dec 2014
tragedydesu said:
dont care

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/183879

The quality is absolutely the same btw
Sep 8, 2016 2:17 PM

Jan 2009
just merge the 2 companies already but i guess that will happen sooner or later and this partnership is just to kick start that merger
Sep 8, 2016 2:18 PM
Mar 2011
plasma38 said:
tragedydesu said:
dont care

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/183879

The quality is absolutely the same btw

traslation quitly is not though that is fact give me a from srach fan sub over a so called pro job any day

cuase i the from shracjj fan sub is more accurate
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"ο»Ώ

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 8, 2016 2:21 PM
Jul 2018
Does this mean Crunchyroll will also be getting more dubbed anime from Funimation? I like dubs when they're available.
Sep 8, 2016 2:27 PM

Apr 2015
If anything, I'm just excited for the 91days dub *.*
Sep 8, 2016 2:29 PM
Aug 2014
martiooo said:
Does this mean Crunchyroll will also be getting more dubbed anime from Funimation? I like dubs when they're available.

If i understand it right, no. At least thats what i got from the news on the funimation site which i cannot read again right now because the site is down.
This means that Funimation will have all the dubs and no subs, and Crunchyroll will have everything subbed but nothing dubbed
Sep 8, 2016 2:37 PM
Jul 2018
leNerd said:
martiooo said:

If i understand it right, no. At least thats what i got from the news on the funimation site which i cannot read again right now because the site is down.
This means that Funimation will have all the dubs and no subs, and Crunchyroll will have everything subbed but nothing dubbed

Ughhh so bad. I wanted the choice. Nvm.
Sep 8, 2016 2:39 PM

Apr 2015
It's interesting to see how times change; When I joined the site barely a year ago everyone was down with PPV services, now everyone seems to be down with the pirate way of life.
Sep 8, 2016 2:39 PM

May 2015
I don't really care, until they sink my boat, I'll sail across the high seas forever!
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Sep 8, 2016 2:41 PM
May 2015
So does that mean I can pay for two services for the price of one?

Crunchyroll said:
The partnership is currently limited to the United States and Canada.
Seriously, why can't Crunchyroll just be exclusive to the US, Canada, Ireland and UK? Only like a handful of people are contributing outside of the listed countries anyways and 98% of them use illegal streaming sites. That's what FUNimation is doing right now and they're like the leading anime distributor in the industry.

Crunchyroll said:
Additionally, FunimationNow viewers will be able to watch Broadcast Dubs of some of Crunchyroll's summer simulcast titles, including: 91 Days, Mob Psycho 100, and Orange.
So FUNimation will dub 91 Days and Orange? YES!!! Especially 91 Days! Yes!! I'm tired of Americans in 91 Days speaking Japanese. Keep it up FUNi.

Crunchyroll said:
Fukunaga also stated that Funimation has already expanded its budget for its dub production operation in order to meet the increased dub workload
And the ignorants here in MAL said that dubs are shit because their budget is very low. You people are underestimating FUNimation's budget.

Crunchyroll said:
In addition to Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, Crunchyroll announced plans to release Berserk (new series), Twin Star Exorcists, Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club, Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches, Myriad Colors Phantom World, Big Order, and Gintama on home video with English dubs
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, Phantom World and Gintama is going to get an English Dub? Holy shit! I'm surprised. Especially at Gintama. So based on what I've read, Crunchyroll is going to dub all of the listed series above and not Funimation? Hmm, I have my doubts but I'm still excited nonetheless.

Crunchyroll said:
Titles currently planned include: Ace Attorney, Alderamin on the Sky, Bungo Stray Dogs, JOKER GAME, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, and ReLIFE. The home video and EST releases will include subtitles and English dubs.
Wow....Just Wow....Ace Attorney, Alderamin on the Sky, Bungo Stray Dogs, and Joker Gamer are all on my PTW list. After hearing this news, I'm definitely going to wait for the dubs. In terms of Kabaneri getting a dub...Huh? I thought Amazon has exclusive streaming rights to that series. Finally, for ReLIFE. I'm a big fan of the anime and manga so this series going to be dubbed by FUNi is a very great news for me.

Man, Crunchyroll and FUNimation are giving me more reasons to keep subscribing to their services.
I really hope Sentai Filmworks dies after this news
jc9622Sep 8, 2016 3:01 PM

Sep 8, 2016 2:45 PM
May 2015
Guilion said:
It's interesting to see how times change; When I joined the site barely a year ago everyone was down with PPV services, now everyone seems to be down with the pirate way of life.
Honestly, it's just sad that the anime industry is full of pirates. Crunchyroll and FUNimation isn't even that expensive and I'm still a student paying both services at the same time so they don't have any excuses to use illegal streaming sites unless they live in some EU countries.

Sep 8, 2016 2:47 PM

Aug 2015
jc9622 said:
Guilion said:
Honestly, it's just sad that the anime industry is full of pirates. Crunchyroll and FUNimation isn't even that expensive and I'm still a student paying both services at the same time so they don't have any excuses to use illegal streaming sites unless they live in some EU countries.

Huuuum can you tell that to japanese animator who are still underpaid no matter what
Sep 8, 2016 2:47 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
jc9622 said:

Crunchyroll said:
In addition to Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, Crunchyroll announced plans to release Berserk (new series), Twin Star Exorcists, Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club, Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches, Myriad Colors Phantom World, Big Order, and Gintama on home video with English dubs
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, Phantom World and Gintama is going to get an English Dub? Holy shit! I'm surprised. Especially at Gintama. So based on what I've read, Crunchyroll is going to dub all of the listed series above and not Funimation? Hmm, I have my doubts but I'm still excited nonetheless.

Man, Crunchyroll and FUNimation are giving me more reasons to keep subscribing at their services.

I'm not sure but what they meant is that less than 3 months ago crunchyroll anounced that they were dubbing these. However now, i think it might going to be FUNimation who will handle the dubs for them

Sep 8, 2016 2:51 PM
May 2015
DatRandomDude said:
jc9622 said:

Man, Crunchyroll and FUNimation are giving me more reasons to keep subscribing at their services.

I'm not sure but what they meant is that less than 3 months ago crunchyroll anounced that they were dubbing these. However now, i think it might going to be FUNimation who will handle the dubs for them
I would honestly prefer if FUNimation dubs the series because they have way more experience in dubbing and are currently the best dubbing studio in the industry. If Crunchyroll is going to dub all of the series they listed but they're guaranteed to get assistance from FUNimation's ADR Directors then I'm all for Crunchyroll dubbing anime. Right now, I'm skeptical.

If Crunchyroll's dub ends up being good then I suggest they increase the price of their services a little bit because their price right now is basically a steal for sub and dubs.

Sep 8, 2016 2:53 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
jc9622 said:
DatRandomDude said:

I would honestly prefer if FUNimation dubs the series because they have way more experience in dubbing and are currently the best dubbing studio in the industry. If Crunchyroll is going to dub all of the series they listed but they're guaranteed to get assistance from FUNimation's ADR Directors then I'm all for Crunchyroll dubbing anime. Right now, I'm skeptical.
well, i said ''might'' but im pretty sure its gonna be funi now that they're doing pretty much the dubs for every anime funimation and crunchyrol has and will have in the future.

Sep 8, 2016 3:01 PM

Jul 2015
It's not a bad thing. They have to compete with kissanime and other streaming sites with bigger libraries after all.
Sep 8, 2016 3:07 PM
May 2015
DarkFaerie said:
I also think it's cool that Funi as a result knocked their subscription price down, something I'm sure the dub fans will be happy about.
Wow, I didn't even notice that. I was just charged $8 a few days ago (5 days ago to be exact) and they reduced the pricing now? Talk about timing..

Meh, it doesn't matter to me.

Sep 8, 2016 3:09 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Also, now Sentai is getting fucked really hard now.
Stuck between what they already have and anime that no one wants.

Sep 8, 2016 3:13 PM

Aug 2016
Nigami_Shin said:
DatRandomDude said:
Crunchyroll is getting all dem subs from FUNimation and FUNimation will be dub-only and getting all the dubs crunchyroll had and will have.

Today is a good day.

Someone knows what's up. I'm glad this is finally here but this seems to be more of a strategic economic flare for the community.
Sep 8, 2016 3:15 PM

Sep 2016
I don't care since Kissanime has both subs and dubs, has almost every anime in existence in great quality, and it's free.

Sep 8, 2016 3:15 PM

Oct 2013
DatRandomDude said:
Also, now Sentai is getting fucked really hard now.
Stuck between what they already have and anime that no one wants.
This is the thing I'm most confused about, how is Sentai affected by this. AFAIK they barely do dubs, and they're subs are mostly on Crunchyroll

I literally cut my subscription few weeks ago, but this really makes me want to re-sub again.
Sep 8, 2016 3:28 PM

Apr 2015
jc9622 said:
Guilion said:

Well, speaking personally I don't mind paying for Crunchyroll, their service is cheap and I can easily pay it with pocket money at a convinience store and . Plus they have an ample selection of obscure nonsense that nobody watches, they were the ones that introduced me to Furusato Saisei Nippon no Mukashi Banashi and Kyousougiga after all.

Funimation on the other hand.... I have serious issues with, their translations are retarded (Both dubs AND subs), their service is expensive as all hells and I can't watch 70% of their content because it's region locked. I may actually skip the next Crunchyroll payment depending on how this plays out.

So I can see why people are resorting to piracy more and more. A wise man once said "Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem" and this may actually become a problem, in my case I will become a pirate if the site fixes the region lock exploit as free streaming sites can offer the same service 24/7 without a region lock and without a subscription fee that will feed low quality subs that I can also get for free.
Sep 8, 2016 3:31 PM

Sep 2015
Aside from the dubs I think that it's probably better that CR is getting titles they didn't have previously have out of this like Psycho Pass and Bebop.
Sep 8, 2016 3:37 PM
May 2015
Guilion said:
jc9622 said:

Well, speaking personally I don't mind paying for Crunchyroll, their service is cheap and I can easily pay it with pocket money at a convinience store and . Plus they have an ample selection of obscure nonsense that nobody watches, they were the ones that introduced me to Furusato Saisei Nippon no Mukashi Banashi and Kyousougiga after all.

Funimation on the other hand.... I have serious issues with, their translations are retarded (Both dubs AND subs), their service is expensive as all hells and I can't watch 70% of their content because it's region locked. I may actually skip the next Crunchyroll payment depending on how this plays out.

So I can see why people are resorting to piracy more and more. A wise man once said "Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem" and this may actually become a problem, in my case I will become a pirate if the site fixes the region lock exploit as free streaming sites can offer the same service 24/7 without a region lock and without a subscription fee that will feed low quality subs that I can also get for free.
Huh? But FUNimation was only $8 a month. Just a dollar more expensive than Crunchyroll. I have or had no issue paying $8 a month for FUNimation and $7 a month for Crunchyroll. While I agree with you on FUNimation's subs being questionable, I disagree with FUNimation having bad dubs. Though, I don't want to get into an argument right now. All I'm going to say is you don't like FUNi's dubs and I'm completely fine with it. To each their own. As for the region lock, I live in Canada so 100% of the anime in their library are available for me but I do get why you're annoyed with the region locks.

Btw, FUNimation just reduced their subscription fee to $6 a month. Now it's a dollar less than Crunchy's subscription fee.

Sep 8, 2016 3:37 PM

Oct 2013
Guilion said:
jc9622 said:

Honestly who cares, you're not gonna convince them because their ignorant and don't even consider other options one bit.

The only 'issue' about it is that most of these users actually go to an illegal streaming site instead of downloading, supporting the hosting site. When all they did was steal other fan sub's work and host it, you may say it's good for the fan subbing group because the audience are exposed to which group subbed it but most of them glance through that and forget/don't care in the first place. Most of the group fan sub for free and don't really ask for money, unless they need money to keep their servers up or something. Some of them give you the option to donate too, but not many do that.

TL;DR: illegal streaming sites makes money when the group they stole from doesn't make much/no money at all.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 7 minutes ago

0 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
7 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

46 by CaptLolicon »»
8 minutes ago

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream? ( 1 2 )

BroDa2545 - Apr 16

52 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
11 minutes ago

» Is anime just more honest about it's intent than western media?

Spunkert - 43 minutes ago

1 by Zarutaku »»
13 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

49 by Zimmu »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.