Forum Settings
Forums
Genshiken
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 26, 2016 3:54 PM

Nov 2007
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Kuchiki graduation, so it's all his turn about his feelings in the club. The girls gave him presents to send him away. Chubby girl gets nominated for the next president.
tsubasaloverSep 12, 2016 9:04 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 12, 2016 8:59 PM

Jun 2013
tsubasalover said:
Sasahara graduation, so it's all his turn about his feelings in the club. The girls gave him presents to send him away. Chubby girl gets nominated for the next president.

I think you mean Kuchiki. Sasahara already graduated the year before.
Sep 21, 2016 2:14 AM
Mar 2010
Does somebody know a web to read or download this chapter in english??
Sep 24, 2016 2:08 AM

Oct 2009
This chapter was released, like, months ago (the source I've searched has it available 4 mths ago). Seems like there is currently no English translation of it on notable online manga reading sites. I wonder when some group would translate it.
Oct 18, 2016 9:50 PM

Nov 2011
Whoa it wasn't too long for a chapter but had a lot of emotions in it. My favorite panel:

It's been a long journey! 8/10.
Oct 19, 2016 4:10 PM

Jun 2007
Finally! Loved the original series, wasn't as fond of the direction Nidaime went. 7/10
Oct 20, 2016 2:01 AM

Jul 2012
If you cut all the Hato bullshit, it's really great manga. I love Sue but Saki is best waifu.
Oct 21, 2016 4:26 AM
Mar 2016
so its finally ended huh, #TeamFirstGen btw
Oct 29, 2016 2:01 PM

Feb 2015
Kuchiki is still annoying at the end...

Hato cheering-up the new prez... So cute...
Nov 15, 2016 12:41 AM

Feb 2014
I found out about this manga 3 years ago and I got hooked immediately to these quirky characters. Been a long run and definitely one of my favorite series, even though my dick was put to test with Hato. Thankfully best girl won at the end.
Nov 27, 2016 8:27 AM

Nov 2011
Really dragged the ending there.
Genshiken - 9
Nidaime - 7

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Nov 27, 2016 3:22 PM
Jan 2013
Sandaime .^.

SANDAIME .^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

SANDAAAAAAAIMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
gone bai bai
Dec 6, 2016 5:16 AM

Sep 2013
Can't believe it's over.

Even past the noticeable drop in quality of Nidaime, this manga stayed as one of my all time favourite series. Still 10/10.

Was a bit pissed when he ended up choosing no one but the ending to the harem was so very Madarame, and I'm really glad he ended up with Sue they were easily the most suited to each other. Seeing the old club back together again was so heartwarming, Saki still best girl after all this time.

Thank you Kio-sensei.
Jan 5, 2017 12:47 PM

Jan 2012
why

why does it even need to end (like this)

hate the ending

Mkim said:
Sandaime .^.

SANDAIME .^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

SANDAAAAAAAIMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

true
Mar 3, 2017 1:14 AM

May 2008
Felt really dragged out. But what I wanted was a real conclusion regardless who he chose. Mada x Sue makes sense and what I was rooting for. It's been a long road for a manga I started reading back in high school, over ten years ago. I'll miss you Genshiken. Yup.
Mar 10, 2017 9:50 AM

Jun 2013
Oh wow what a ride! It's a shame thou it took quite a drastic turn with Nidaime. In the second half, the story was less and less about club activities but more about Madarame's love life, his harem at that. I'm not even sure why Genshiken doesn't have Romance and even Harem tags, thou harem is a bit of a strecth as it started much later, but still.

I don't really mind if it wanted to shift the focus to the romance aspect, but harem? It even has this cliche mock date. Went on a trip, Mada dated each girls to decide who he's going to choose but ended up choosing freaking no one because Mada is your typical harem lead; indicisive beta who lacks of self worth.. Seriously?! The girls, Sue, Keiko and even Angelica without enough focus suddenly are head over heels in love with Mada. In the end, Mada didn't change. Took Saki to force him to man up and as much as I like Sue and Mada as a pair, I couldn't help but think their relationship was a bit forced and came out of nowhere.
Apr 10, 2017 8:40 PM

Oct 2012
I have been reading Genshiken on and off for what seems like forever. I am sad to see it over.

I was a fan more of the original, but I am so happy to see Madarame finally have a happy ending. I remember crying so much when he was rejected by Saki. Saki was already spoken for so it was to be expected and all fine, but just seeing Madarame hurt was so sad!

I was rooting for Sue from the beginning of the harem thing to be with Madarame. Madarame is my favourite character and I could always see she was his "dream" girl, just want that boy to be happy!!! I actually didn't think they'd end up together so I was pleasantly surprised.

I just love how this manga is such a great commentary on otaku. It will be missed, I haven't come across anything quite like it yet.
Apr 26, 2017 11:12 PM

Jun 2014
Damn, i needed the MadaHato. Well, it was enjoyable. 8/10

Jul 5, 2017 5:19 AM
Aug 2016
finaly after years of reading and waiting for new ch. or vol. to be released i did completed it. truly a master pice of art. i realy loved the end when he finaly got sue i everytime hoped for it. this is proalby the last manga i reald did folow all the time since release and i could stick with bec of the good conttent. to sad that its now over and i do not know what i should read after it but im at least happy to see a good ending for my taste ad dont have to make minds how it could end or will end. for everyone who did not know this manga till now should proably read it bec its worth . solid 10/10.
Feb 1, 2018 4:49 PM

Feb 2015
Chapters 1-55 were intense and genuinely good. Didn't like Nidaime's cast very much, and the madarame thing realllllyyyy felt dragged out.

Anyway, 9/10 for the first part(potential 10), 5-6/10 for Nidaime.
Mar 15, 2018 10:37 PM
Apr 2013
The ending felt like a bait and switch :/
Aug 17, 2018 8:09 PM

May 2010
Huh, finally decided to finish up the chapters where the anime left off.

Damn Saki takes care of Madarame till the end, I'm not sure how to feel here.

I wouldn't have problem with the author if he try to drag a new Sue VS Rika X Mada in future. Ah well, Nidaime 2 or Sandaime is not gonna happen I guess.

Nyoooo!

May 9, 2019 6:22 AM

Nov 2016
"Don't die Sugimoto" hahahaha.

It was a nice chapter, but personally, I would've prefered to end it with every member from Gen 1 and 2. Still liked it overall, the series as a whole of course too.

The harem arc was pretty interesting amd offered something new, but Genshiken was at it's best when it parodied the otaku culture. Then we had the cheerful cast, joyful atmoshphere and the comedy lines which made me laugh out loud at times. Genshiken was truly great. It pains me that there isn't more content, because I certainly wouldn't mind hundreds of chapters, but it will always have a place in my heart.

8,5/10

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 18, 2019 3:49 PM
Apr 2019
Series really fucking dropped when it got to Nidaime portion. The first gen seemed to follow the philosophy of "nothing is more boring than another man's romance..." they seemed to made sure to involve romamce but didn't make the story revolove around romance.
Until Sasahara and Oguie which was more about acceptance which genshiken seemed to be mainly about. Acceptance.
Also we kinda underestimate how fast pace the first gen was. 3 years go by in less than 60 chapters but in nidaime which is from chapter 60 ish to 127 (almost another 70 chapters) and only 1 and a half years pass by ( the event where the fat girl sees hato's cock was exactly a year ago...)

The whole Harem shit could've been dropped as well. Maybe a simple love triangle between Hato and Sasahara's sister... There was no real reason to include sue or angela... like we still don't know anything about them. Sue wins in the end but still it kinda felt more like a cop out especially with the way that Saki basically has to strong arm him into getting into a relationship. He should've chose either hato or sasahara's sister to be honest. Saki mellowed out alot from the og generation and madarame seemed to really like that fiery version of her and think he would've been a good match with sasahara...
Aug 8, 2021 9:41 AM
May 2009
I personally wanted more. I hope Sandaime gets made at some point, but I am probably being hopeful.

A real change. I guess with most otaku culture already covered in the first 9 volumes, there was no need to focus on what they do as much. So the author focused on the relationships instead.

Honestly its not a bad thing. I really enjoyed the Sasahara and Oguie story. And I actually enjoyed Madarames harem arc and ending.

I also love the fact they carried over Oguies Sasa X Mada shipping one of the more hilarious chapters, and continued with it.

It was great to see the old group all doing their own thing while still providing support and making appearances.

Think I will marathon season 1 and 2 of the anime now.

Nidaime only got half the volumes animated, I hope they animate the last part of the manga volumes.
Oct 28, 2023 11:41 PM

May 2020
What do I say about this manga ? Honestly going to into this, I wasn't really sure what to expect. I feel like I've been involved enough in the otaku culture in my own limited ways, so this manga didn't break ground with any fascinating insights into otaku culture.

As for the characters, I'll will say they were entertaining if not super interesting. They all get things to do and none of them feel very superfluous. I will say though, the peak of this manga for me was definitely the latter half of the first generation. Ogiue x Sasahara wasn't something I was super interested in but it was surprisingly wholesome and I loved it.

As for Second Season, I'll be honest, it just wasn't very interesting. Madarame gets sooo much of a bigger role and while I didn't mind that, I genuinely did not enjoy how members of the Genshiken felt entitled to interfere in his love life. It applies to the way they forced him to basically confess to Saki and how they forced the whole "harem" issue.

Speaking of the "harem", it is genuinely amazing how the author manage to wring like 6 volumes worth of chapters from basically nothing. The only character that legitimately had some kind of romantic interest in Madarame was Hato. Angela, Keiko and Sue have literally no reason to like him but they just do and go along with the charade of being in his harem because... bad writing ? I mean for fuck's sake, the manga thinks its sooooooooo clever for pointing out that this is a "harem" arc.

The whole Hato x Mada thing could've been interesting but of course, it wimps out at the very end and gives the "win" to Sue who is a nothing character. That's right, I said it. She serves literally the same purpose in the manga as Kuchiki, i.e, being a gag character. She has zero character development, she has the personality of a tissue paper and the number of interactions she and Madarame have can be counted on one fucking hand. But somehow she is the right choice because she's a loli. Fantastic.

Reading the above, you may gain the impression that I hate this manga but I don't. It's just that the longer I think about how this manga ended, the more it aggravates me. Overall, the first Season was good and while the ending of Season 2 is disappointing, there's still some enjoyment to be had.
Dec 29, 2023 11:07 AM
Sep 2021
Reply to WorstWaifu
I have been reading Genshiken on and off for what seems like forever. I am sad to see it over.

I was a fan more of the original, but I am so happy to see Madarame finally have a happy ending. I remember crying so much when he was rejected by Saki. Saki was already spoken for so it was to be expected and all fine, but just seeing Madarame hurt was so sad!

I was rooting for Sue from the beginning of the harem thing to be with Madarame. Madarame is my favourite character and I could always see she was his "dream" girl, just want that boy to be happy!!! I actually didn't think they'd end up together so I was pleasantly surprised.

I just love how this manga is such a great commentary on otaku. It will be missed, I haven't come across anything quite like it yet.
@WorstWaifu btw in which chapter does MADARE AND SUE are officially toger and how did they bocome???
Jan 13, 9:39 AM

Jul 2008
I read Genshiken when it was just the original series back in around 2008. It's been on my favourites list ever since. It felt so surreal to revisit these characters in a new story fifteen years later. I was really pleased with the original ending and adored the second to last chapter, which was completely without dialogue. It was a bittersweet goodbye. This time around, it was nice to have most of the older cast take a back seat; they definitely didn't need to be reshuffled and shoehorned into the new drama. However, the Nidaime characters just weren't as engaging as the old ones. I thought Yajima was the best of the bunch, but I could have done with less Hato, who ended up with so much of the story's focus. The harem arc did grow tiresome, but I'm glad Madarame ended up with Sue. The second part didn't quite rekindle the spark of the original — but I had a lot of fun nonetheless. Again, it's very bittersweet to say (another) goodbye to the Genshiken.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Feb 12, 12:22 PM

Jan 2008
I don't think I have ever seen a manga fall off as hard as Genshiken. It started off as this smart, cute and nuanced look at otaku culture, a rites of passage for young adults, with some deft and realistic characterisation, such as Kasukabe not turning into an otaku herself. It was great.

'Second Season' which started off strong by depicting the OG crew mature into adulthood with jobs, eventually turned into a straight up harem manga, and it fucking blows my mind. I just don't get why the author did it. It was as repetitive and superficial as something like Love Hina or any number of harem anime out there.

I'm so glad the manga is split into two in English, much like Dragonball and DBZ. I'm going to keep my rating high, but only because I'm going to ignore Second Season exists. If MAL ever splits them, SS will get a 4 from me.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Mar 19, 11:52 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Yikes, I'd a lot written but then accidentally closed my browser, so I'll go for a short one this time...

I watched the anime adaptation last summer and enjoyed the quirkiness of the show a lot. Aside from the Madarame harem arc, which dragged on for a little and then ended abruptly, the quality was right up there! Even that arc had its fair share of shining moments though. I wish we got a concrete conclusion about Sasahara's sister and Angela-san.

I had a lot of fun, over all. Nidaime generation, I liked the characters more, to be honest, and hoped to see more of the usual Otaku chatter. Kuchiki-san's graduation, closing the curtains of the show, has an ironic touch but seeing him in tears for a change was a welcome sight. Oh and, Ohno-senpai's my fav character. I'm a simple man, lmao.

Solid 8/10 from here. Going to miss this series!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

More topics from this board

Poll: » Genshiken Chapter 122 Discussion

tsubasalover - Apr 3, 2016

14 by _MushiRock11_ »»
Mar 13, 12:09 AM

Poll: » Genshiken Chapter 126 Discussion

tsubasalover - Jul 27, 2016

18 by Beatnik »»
Feb 12, 12:13 PM

Poll: » Genshiken Chapter 121 Discussion

JALU3 - Feb 26, 2016

15 by Beatnik »»
Feb 12, 9:47 AM

Poll: » Genshiken Chapter 110 Discussion

tsubasalover - Apr 2, 2015

10 by Beatnik »»
Feb 11, 2:37 PM

Poll: » Genshiken Chapter 105 Discussion

tsubasalover - Oct 29, 2014

8 by Beatnik »»
Feb 9, 3:25 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.