Forum Settings
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 6, 2021 9:19 PM
Jul 2018
Quite frankly I don’t understand why you guys look very over the edge about who Chihaya will end up with. Chihayafuru is essentially just a story with 18 years old trio, and the romance doesn’t have to go “somewhere” even when it ends. They are just 18. I don’t see any reason for Chihaya to suddenly put importance to romance when she hasn’t for 234 chapters. For Chihayafuru to end with a romance, either the last around 20 chapters (I presume, since it’s near ending) will have to be focused on romance, or the manga is extended, or it will be flash forwarded. Yes, Chihaya has had her moments of blushing and fluff with both the guys— mainly Arata. She admitted she was nervous around Taichi (once though), and then in her monologue later, “I will always love karuta and Arata.”

Let’s be real. “I will always love karuta and Arata” does not have to automatically translate to her having romantic feelings for him. She puts karuta and Arata in the same level, in the same type of affection. For it to mean anything romantic then it has to be that she loves karuta romantically, which is just nonsense. The same way if she says “I will always love Nikuman-kun and Kana-chan” we can conclude she is saying she loves them both in the terms of platonic, because they are mentioned in the same sentence. Him and karuta in the same sentence might be serious because the both of them love karuta very much, but Arata and Chihaya aren’t the first people to ever love karuta so much. Arata is a person. Her feelings to a sport and a person cannot be the same. She might have loved him as much as she loved karuta, but they aren’t supposed to be the same type of love. Still, since she said so, you can interpret it however you want anyway.

At any point in the manga (most of the time, anyway), any feelings she has for Arata can easily be called admiration and any feelings she has for Taichi can easily be concluded as platonic. For her to suddenly grow out of admiration or platonic feelings and realise that one of them is romantic, we have to have a whole arc about her assessing her feelings and putting them into categories. And it’s this late in the manga. If there was meant to be any romantic plot, Chihaya would have assessed this right after Arata’s or Taichi’s confession. Since she didn’t, I don’t see any reason that she would think about it as fast as after the Queen matches. Even if she is thinking about Taichi in chapter 234 right now, it doesn’t have to mean anything. Not everything is a sign for her romance story. Even if she won the title, even if Taichi comes back. She doesn’t have to end up dating one of the guys right now.

How many childhood friends do end up together? How often people choose the love of their life at 18? Not often. Saying it will be Taichi and Chihaya, Arata and Yuu/Shinobu is essentially just the same, since Yuu and Shinobu are both also Arata’s childhood friends. Taichi might grow out of his feelings, it’s not impossible. Chihaya doesn’t have to be the last time he loves. The three of them might grow apart, or closer. The character you cheer for in a love triangle is just your preference. Taichi is the way he is with Chihaya because he’s always there with her, Arata is the way he is with Chihaya because he’s unreachable and she wants to “reach” him. Both are good foundations for relationship. I do think Suetsugu accidentally makes it look more Taichi/Chihaya because the appeal of Arata is how unreachable and far he is, though.

Rather than talking about the boys, shouldn't it be more about Chihaya? She says she likes Arata, but when he confessed it lasted shortly then she forgot it. That's just straight up horrible. She knows Taichi likes her and rejects him, but keep talking to him about fate. She can reject him, of course, but to talk about it, shouldn't she give time for him to move on? If Suetsugu intended her to "choose" one of the boys then she would have been more considerate about one of their confessions.

And also, Chihayafuru isn’t shoujo. It’s jousei. I think it’s supposed to be more mature and realistic— even though the characters are just 18. There is a long way to go. Chihaya doesn’t have to answer right now. If she says she wants to focus on karuta, then she will. And even if she does answer, it doesn’t have to be one of the boys. Who knows. Chihaya might find a person for her some years later. Chihayafuru won't be the first whatever romance ending it will have-- open ending, the childhood friend who's mostly with her or the childhood friend she looks up to.
removed-userMay 6, 2021 9:24 PM
May 6, 2021 10:04 PM

Oct 2012
@flowersorothers

Ofcourse if these characters were real people you could be very right. Just don't forget this is fiction.

I'm not sure RL rules will really apply at the end of this story.

What is wrong with Chihaya ultimately choosing one of the boys. Kana and Komano are dating and no one seems to find it strange. Rion and Makoto are going out in the end. Hiro and Nishida's sister. Taichi's mom and dad met in highschool.....so it's not like in canon no one of their age is dating. They are all almost going on 19 at this stage of the story.

Again Sensei can choose not to resolve the romance and just go for a friendship end but her manga is published in a magazine for young women where almost all stories revolve around romance/slice of life called Be Love. Suetsugu san's ulterior mangas are all about romance. The title of this manga is Chihayafuru based on a love poem from the Hyankunin Isshu....which is a collection of poems 80% about romance.

Ofcourse Sensei can just leave it.....I can't help but find it a bit strange, and seen how hard she milked the Love triangle...

Chihayafuru is more than romance ofcourse but underestimating the importance of romance in this manga seems strange to me. It's not published in Shonen Jump. It's published in a magazine for women of an older catagory than Shoujo.

It's up to Sensei in the end. I just hope she has it in her to make the ending as good as some of the emotional climaxes in this story were.
May 6, 2021 10:18 PM
Jul 2018
chiakimagoto said:
@flowersorothers
What is wrong with Chihaya ultimately choosing one of the boys. Kana and Komano are dating and no one seems to find it strange. Rion and Makoto are going out in the end. Hiro and Nishida's sister. Taichi's mom and dad met in highschool.....so it's not like in canon no one of their age is dating. They are all almost going on 19 at this stage of the story.

The people you just mentioned aren't as oblivious to it as Chihaya. Komano told Kana-chan she was his moon long before he confessed. Makoto asked Rion out many times in a tsundere way. It isn't wrong for Chihaya to choose one of the boys. Her feelings for both are there in their own ways. But having feelings =/ dating. Also both Taichi and Arata do sometimes talk like they are going to love Chihaya romantically forever. "I'm hopelessly in love with Chihaya" "Let's spend the rest of our lives together" (this one is in Chihaya's mind, but pretty sure Arata does mean it the same way). Chances are, they are going to fall out of love. 18 and 19 is just 1 year apart, does one year gap make so much difference? I'm not saying it's impossible, I just don't get why you guys look so much over the edge about which boy she will choose in the end of the manga.
May 7, 2021 12:06 AM

Oct 2012
Romance isn't all in this manga but definitely is a very endearing part the mangaka is pushing herself.....if it really was only about friendship or no romance I don't think I would be shipping. Watched enough anime or read mangas where romance isn't relevant and enjoyed very much.

Can't be helped, people ship everywhere, even in the SnK fandom where tbh I never got into any shipping at all because indeed there was nothing very romantic going on....very surprised how fierce peeps were ranting about Historia and Mikasa, but I'm digressing.

This story romance plot has been there from the start and has certainly been an important leimotiv. It hardly can be otherwise because many of the poems presented by Sensei throughout the years in the story are about love, painful longing etc etc.

About Taichi, personally I could have thrown away his romance plot for karuta, that's how invested I was in his karuta but 205 happened. (I have no desire discussing this again here).

So it still looks like something isn't resolved with Taichi.

It's not only about romance, I hope things will work out for him, finding his own passion...but since this thread is about romance.... let's keep to the subject.

I simply think Chihaya has slowly had a change of heart and found out what the true importance of someone in your life means. This love isn't the superficial blushing akwardness you find in shoujo but seems to me be more about a companion in life, someone she found out she is unhappy with out.... the way they support eachother, cry for eachother and want the other to smile has all the ingredients for me to be a great romance and couple in life.

I feel Sensei is picturing just that, how she finally realised the love she had was right by her side while she was looking far away, when she only needed to grab his hand. He was always there.

As I said this is fiction so Sensei can or not resolve the romance but since she definitely is hiding this and stalling, everyone is just waiting to see if there will be a resolution.

Personally I'm not invested in the outcome of the Meijin match, just what it means to Suou(235!!!). I don't like Arata's way of playing karuta, his plotarmour is so thick....it just blew my excitement for the Meijin match.

I do want Chihaya to win, because of all the peeps that supported her, Mizusawa and Taichi. If she doesn't it doesn't matter either for me. I'm fine with her winning or losing. It isn't really important anymore. More what she realised is touching.... how she came to be there because of all the people around her. Her passion, having fun, being free. I'll just let Sensei figure that out and sit back and enjoy.

If there must be a romance resolution..... I just prefer Chihaya to choose Taichi for my above reasons..I prefer romance having the dynamics Taichihaya have.

t8/19 is a pretty reasonable age to go out with eachother, find out about romance.... doesn't mean they will have to marry or anything. They still have careers to think about but I don't see why they would have to condemn themselves to celibate for all their college years. They can combine both.

By all means, fans who don't want to ship or not invest themselves in the romance part of the story can just do as they like. I'm the last person who has a problem with that as long as they let me be free to do and think as I like as well.
chiakimagotoMay 7, 2021 12:25 AM
May 7, 2021 2:20 AM

May 2020
I remembered sth and I wanted to ask.😊
1- in episode 23 of S3, when Taichi confessed to Chihaya, the bell rings and Taichi says that (I didn't hear you). maybe she really didn't reject him? Are we sure what she really says there, is about rejecting??
2-if you remember, Hiro once told Chihaya that, Thaichi is stronger without you. maybe this is why CHihaya is rejecting Taichi, although I am not sure about the whole rejection.

May 7, 2021 2:26 AM

Oct 2012
She did say something *unheard* because Taichi can't hear as well as Chihaya. Even the animators picked up on it.

It's pretty ironic that Chihaya hears very well though, hearing Taichi speaking about his fading feelings.

Between hearing and not hearing, I hope these 2 will get a chance to talk while listening carefully to eachother.
May 7, 2021 3:13 AM
Jul 2018
chiakimagoto said:

About Taichi, personally I could have thrown away his romance plot for karuta, that's how invested I was in his karuta but 205 happened. (I have no desire discussing this again here).

Personally it wouldn’t have mattered if he had lost by 2 cards or 18 cards. Well, if you don’t want to discuss it it’s fine anyway.

Of course something isn’t resolved with Taichi. Isn’t that what the void Chitose was talking about?

chiakimagoto said:

By all means, fans who don't want to ship or not invest themselves in the romance part of the story can just do as they like. I'm the last person who has a problem with that as long as they let me be free to do and think as I like as well.

“As long as they let you be free (…)”? Is this implying that I do not? I did say that both Taichi and Arata have good foundation for a relationship with her and that it isn’t impossible. What I was trying to point out in my first post is that I don’t get why the posts in this thread are so over the edge about who she will end up with when both of the guys have more or less the same chance.

Shinkiroshi said:
1- in episode 23 of S3, when Taichi confessed to Chihaya, the bell rings and Taichi says that (I didn't hear you). maybe she really didn't reject him? Are we sure what she really says there, is about rejecting??

She said “sorry” in a really quiet voice. It’s in the manga, and in the anime she was mouthing the word. Whether she meant it as a rejection or in a “sorry I didn’t notice” way, Taichi did take it as a rejection (his conversation with Chitose where Chitose asked him if he liked Chihaya, and he said “I’ve been rejected though”.).
removed-userMay 7, 2021 3:59 AM
May 7, 2021 4:01 AM

May 2020
chiakimagoto said:
She did say something *unheard* because Taichi can't hear as well as Chihaya. Even the animators picked up on it.

It's pretty ironic that Chihaya hears very well though, hearing Taichi speaking about his fading feelings.

Between hearing and not hearing, I hope these 2 will get a chance to talk while listening carefully to eachother.
yeah I hope that happens.
May 7, 2021 4:06 AM

May 2020
flowersorothers said:
chiakimagoto said:

Personally it wouldn’t have mattered if he had lost by 2 cards or 18 cards. Well, if you don’t want to discuss it it’s fine anyway.

Of course something isn’t resolved with Taichi. Isn’t that what the void Chitose was talking about?

chiakimagoto said:

“As long as they let you be free (…)”? Is this implying that I do not? I did say that both Taichi and Arata have good foundation for a relationship with her and that it isn’t impossible. What I was trying to point out in my first post is that I don’t get why the posts in this thread are so over the edge about who she will end up with when both of the guys have more or less the same chance.

Shinkiroshi said:

She said “sorry” in a really quiet voice. It’s in the manga, and in the anime she was mouthing the word. Whether she meant it as a rejection or in a “sorry I didn’t notice” way, Taichi did take it as a rejection (his conversation with Chitose where Chitose asked him if he liked Chihaya, and he said “I’ve been rejected though”.).
first of all thanks for quick response😅. I know that Taichi accepted that conversation as a reject. But what I asked was that, according to manga and anime , are we 100% sure that she really rejected him in the way taichi thinks???
May 7, 2021 4:50 AM

Oct 2012
@Shinkiroshi I have no idea what Chihaya was really thinking. I have some ideas but I guess we will have to be patient and see if Sensei ever goes back to that moment. She has been hammering alot about listening and not hearing one's own feelings so I wonder where this is going to lead. Especially cause there is alot going on about special hearing qualities. Btw Taichi is maybe the only one who tried to understand that special ability and hone it while training with Suou.

Listening to the poems, or "songs" as said in Japanese, you can sometimes listen to a song without really hearing the words and understanding the feelings expressed in them. You know you understand when it emotionally hits you, that the feelings have been conveyed. This happens several times in the story in such an awesome way, that you kind of break down in tears.

@flowersorothers, "why everyone is so over the edge"?, Probably because of the subject of this thread?

Just ignore me if my posts bother you, that sort of works out pretty well for everyone. Being free is not directed to you on a personal level, I reassure you. I hope you feel free as well.

I just want to exchange opinions in a peaceful passionate way because I love this story.

It's true at this point of the story both boys have an important role in eachother's and Chihaya's life....I just think each role is very different seen the different facets of Chiha and how each of the trio has made a special attachment to Chiha.

The only thing I do think is that the heroine of the manga should at least deeply understand the background, meaning and feelings of her poem.

The love in the poem isn't a light crush. It's a pretty heavy love story....the love is a fringed with alot of pain and longing, trying to hide it in an autumn scenery to tell his beloved one just how much he loves her...

Passion comes in different ways, passion for karuta, passion for ones team, passion in love..... Chihayafuru will probably be a climax of all of them.

About that void talk with Chitose, which was very interesting because you can't live off someone else's passion and have to fill that up yourself if you want to really find inner happiness. Someone else's love definitely can't fill that. You have to fill that special place yourself. I do fervently hope Taichi will feel a true passion awaken inside of him. His karuta was always such a desperate exciting part of the story for me, the part that made me look deeper. I do think Chitose also pushed him to go back because she saw right through him, how much he really wanted to be there. He went back because he really did what he wanted in the moment he turned back, listening to his own heart for once, going back for karuta, Suou, Arata.......Chihaya and himself.
chiakimagotoMay 7, 2021 5:03 AM
May 7, 2021 9:57 AM

Sep 2012
Shinkiroshi said:
2-if you remember, Hiro once told Chihaya that, Thaichi is stronger without you. maybe this is why CHihaya is rejecting Taichi, although I am not sure about the whole rejection.

"Sorry" is a known rejection in Japan. Taichi was just being a bit petty because of how low and quiet her voice was when rejecting him. The manga makes it more clear and adds a note about how his line can be translated differently such as " I'm nasty so I can't hear you" and "Your quiet voice is creepy so I can't hear you".
The desire to be loved is the last illusion. Give it up and you will be free.
May 7, 2021 8:38 PM
Oct 2014
Sorry may be a possible way to turn down a confession in Japan (somehow imagine this would also be accompanied by at least a slight bow), but in that case Chihaya running after him seems, in turn, very un-japanese.

Now that I think about it again... Running after someone you turn down is extremely selfish. From what I've read, many people including me kinda assumed Chihaya really was that extremely selfish at the moment. Was she though? If her refusal wasn't something she was 100% sure of herself though, running after him hoping to talk some more wouldn't be completely unreasonable - but Taichi just went and gave her the kiss she won at the birthday tournament which made her even more confused and lost for words.

Bit of thinking out loud, sorry I know it doesn't really lead anywhere. Interesting to think about the scene some more though. It really doesn't seem it HAD to be a completely straightforward and clear refusal.

Aww man, all this raising of my hopes is bad for my health. Someone just travel to the future and bring me the rest of the manga please.

P.S. Romance aside, I don't like Arata's latest development at all. Not just the plotarmor, but he always had this admirable "spinning top" style and won against the strongest oponents while remaining calm, stoic. Now he tries to abandon grandpa's karuta to play his own style - which is apparently "crushing" opponents with murderous rage "even if it's 5 years old". Nothing admirable at all, his grandpa would surely be sad about this. Being fired up is one thing but it's more like he turns pretty dark. Hope this isn't what brings him the throne, he should lose a game playing like that and realise it's wrong otherwise I'll just keep rooting for Suo who is getting more amiable by the chapter.

May 8, 2021 1:04 AM

Oct 2012
In many romantic stories the guy is rejected first, the most known that comes to mind is Pride and Prejudice. Jane Austen liked that trope and also used it in Persuasion.

Being rejected in a story might not be a definite conclusion at all.

Taichi definitely took it as a rejection, but his departure gave Chihaya a cold shower probably making her start looking at her feelings and the boys from a different angle.

In that departure scene they both were a mess for sure...neither was probably thinking straight.

I'm no fan of this demon mode stuff but this behaviour of Arata is actually threaded through the manga. He never was as calm as was suggested at the start.

They all 3 had/have issues to take head on
chiakimagotoMay 8, 2021 1:31 AM
May 8, 2021 2:41 AM
Jul 2018
chiakimagoto said:

@flowersorothers, "why everyone is so over the edge"?, Probably because of the subject of this thread?

Discussion =/ being over the edge but well if you'd prefer to move on I'd do so too.

I think both Taichi and Arata are being /burdened/ by the expectations by the people around them. Chihaya's expectations burden them a bit more, since she's the girl they like. Arata was never as calm as what Chihaya sees him in her mind, the perfect Chihayafuru embodiment and etc. It's just that mostly the story is from Chihaya's perspective so there, "Chihayafuru, the person" he is. Chihaya rarely sees him for anything other than karuta. I think it was somewhere mentioned in the manga by Hyoro, she only bothered to care about the stronger ones and that she was cold (though later he changed his opinion on her). She just can't believe Arata can be not strong in karuta, can't believe he could quit, can't believe he could lose. I'm not a big fan of how his narrative is going right now in the manga, but I do think it's way better than just his grandfather's karuta. Basically everyone in the karuta society put him on a pedestal. He appears the least in the manga out of the trio, but almost everytime he does appear it's him doing very OP things like being very hard to play against Tsuboguchi-san when he was just a first year, all the way to beating Shinobu. I think him thinking of "crushing" his opponents is good development, though, since Chihaya is not a fan of those kinds of things. Chihaya considered Arata's karuta as somehow very pure and encouraging, so him getting into the more terrifying karuta to her standard would probably make her wonder and stop putting him on pedestal. This is also the reason why I liked Taichi's whole Suou-san arc and his "show's bad guy" narrative in qualifier, since Chihaya considered that kind of play dirty. Chihaya really needs to stop putting her friends on pedestal. Yes, she's a team player so she relies on her friends. But the things she's been doing is as if she doesn't want her friends to change at all, and it needs to change. Taichi leaving in 138 was very much needed, he was her last man standing (well, not literally). When Arata left, Taichi was there and when Taichi left, Arata had always been so far anyway that's why it was such an important arc.

I do want Arata's arcs where he is not shown as very OP, or where his regrets comes from the things he actually did. Most of his regrets in the manga comes from his grandfather, which is really not his fault. Arata needs to make mistakes. I thought when he lost to Harada-sensei that would open the doors to his development, and it did because he made a karuta club, only for his team to be ranked fourth in their first national. That's just OP. It's a plot armor, and it's this plot armor that makes Chihaya think he's unreachable. Well, now a lot has changed, he lost to Shinobu-chan and all. But still somehow is overpowering the meijin. From the usual Chihayafuru plot, I'd assume he will win the meijin title first-try somehow, but I wish he won't, so his actual development can begin. I mean, it's so late in the manga and the meijin qualifier is the first time he attempts something that isn't his grandfather's karuta. I need more arcs on him being an actual person out of karuta, really.
removed-userMay 8, 2021 2:44 AM
May 8, 2021 4:58 AM

Oct 2012
@flowersorothers, nice post

"Over the edge", I'm afraid I don't understand what that means.... English isn't my first language...can you explain?

What I really hope, is that the mangaka won't lose her cool with the ending nearing and be able to write/draw the finale with the emotional climax she has sometimes pictured in this manga. I guess she must have thought the ending through many times and now must carefully place and connect the details to make it some memorable, something you keep coming back to, like many of the parts of the manga I have read and revisited over the years. Every time you reread you can actually find new connections, it's really a good story.

Gomen for this long rant...I think I lost the thread of thought a bit. There is so much going on, I find it hard to organise in a short post so I cropped it the tag, lol.
May 15, 2021 9:52 AM
May 2021
Hi. First post here. This discussion seems fun, but it also might be because I love childhood friends love triangles (I am watching Osamake now, though it's not amazing but at least decent!). So, I saw someone said that we are getting closer to Arata and Chihaya... why? I don't ship Taichi with her either, and rather than 'fixing' Taichi and Chihaya's relationship after he left, making her end up with Arata indeed is easier and makes more sense, but I don't know how "close" we are to that. Ignoring the part where she was too focused on national team tournament to even remember that Arata confessed to her, there was her also too focused on team matches to even care that she was playing against Arata... it was a match he promised since first year and she just... forgot? At the very least I was expecting her to glorify and analyze Arata's moves in the game like she always did when she watched him play. After chapter 175 (? Was it 175?) where she said she wants to focus more on being the Queen, implying that she somehow would think about his confession again. Yet in the East-West Qualifier she cheered for Taichi? I remember in second grade, during Harada-sensei vs. Arata she was like "if it was me in sixth grade I'd definitely cheer for Arata", but since it's against her sensei, so it's understandable. So why, it's just Taichi. I think we've seen her not minding Taichi and just thinking about Arata a lot of times, so why she cheered for Taichi against Arata? Then in the Meijin tournament, why hasn't she cheered for Arata? like, after he lost (if I remember correctly). It should be easy, and it is easy, since she doesn't particularly like Suou and hates his karuta. Then when Arata said "we're getting 3 wins", it reminded her of Taichi being the President, it's somehow similar to Taichi saying Arata would be back so they should work hard in first grade. I don't know why, but to me, it's always like Chihaya just cares more about whichever of the two boys is further away. At heart she just wants them to be a trio again. Like that one time Taichi was back and they just talked about useless things like coffee stains and organized files in clubroom. Like they forgot Taichi left in such a dramatic way? Greedy is Chihaya's biggest remark and she's greedy for keeping that relationship, even though knowing that both guys do have feeling for her. Which is not wrong, but very naive and somehow dismissing the boys' feelings for her. However, this is just my piece of thoughts. Thank you!
May 15, 2021 10:39 PM

Oct 2012
At the challenger both boys were there.
May 17, 2021 7:12 AM

Nov 2020
So far rn no one yet but I’m personally rooting for arata but I shouldn’t get my hopes up since in every Love triangle anime I watch the person I’m always rooting for always looses. Also rn in the manga Taichi looks like he caught Chihaya eye
SorryItIsTaichi said:
Sorry guys but it's Taichi. He has an underdog story, coming up from the bottom, and literally devoting all his time on Karuta just to get Chihaya to notice him. Not to mention he actually spends time with Chihaya, unlike Arata. You may counter with something like "but when Arata said he loved her she felt like she'd melt!" She feels the same way about anyone who was good at Karuta, she said she tried to make Dr. Hanada her valentines every year, except for the years where Taichi was back. Taichi is now good at Karuta and he has a bond with Chihaya that goes further than Karuta. Arata just can't compete. P.S. Arata is probably going to end up with his next-door neighbour that keeps cooking him food.

You literally created a new account just to say it’s Taichi
If there's a hole there's a goal-Master Oogway
May 17, 2021 9:35 PM
Sep 2015
I always believe there's a reason why sensei made Taichi confess his love being rejected and keep prolonging the drama till now. Why is that? Why sensei still do that, no it's not because sensei is sadisitc IMO.

Believe or not everyone will get the happiness they deserved to fight for thats what I believe sensei is going to do, in this case Arata and Chihaya Will become King and Queen for Taichi? God knows who he Will ends up with ;)

If he wanted the manga could have a direction just like the real-action movie where Taichi never confess to Chihaya but later support both Arata and Chihaya relationship, but she did not isnt she?
If sensei want Chihaya Arata the endgame the best way probably follow the movie direction at least, the fact that it's different it might tell us she have a alternate route for the trio.
May 17, 2021 11:59 PM
May 2021
AngryVirgin said:
So far rn no one yet but I’m personally rooting for arata but I shouldn’t get my hopes up since in every Love triangle anime I watch the person I’m always rooting for always looses. Also rn in the manga Taichi looks like he caught Chihaya eye

Me too, so far the only person I've rooted for always ended up lonely >.< For Chihayafuru I'm at this point where I've rooted for both boys in the past, so I'm okay with anyone she ends up with since it's not baseless anyway. Now I'm reading Chihayafuru for the side characters, I don't want to get too attached with the love triangle in case I find myself root for one of them again >.< I'm curious when Chihayafuru will end though, Suetsugu has been saying it's near ending for years now. Wasn't it supposed to end before season 3 aired? It's been 2 years now then haha.
May 18, 2021 12:02 AM
May 2021
chiakimagoto said:
At the challenger both boys were there.

Ah yes, I mean further physically or in terms of whom she wants to "reach" right now. Since he left Taichi looks unreachable to Chihaya, I think. They talked just fine but are walking on eggshells.
May 18, 2021 12:43 AM

Jul 2020
I personally don't give a damn about the romance, I can't really consider Chihayafuru a romance since that aspect is really subtle throughout the whole series.

But rn nobody (ik this is a 4 yr old thread lol)
May 18, 2021 2:06 AM

Oct 2012
@kokoronashigumi, was he really that unreachable at the challenger?

Her dream came true: they were reunited as a trio on the tatami. Taichi came back to karuta even if he left and was there with Arata and her.

What could she want more of Taichi tbh?

He obviously is still her friend, helped her at the challenger as a teammate should, wished her and Arata well in the most sincere way. Shouldn't she be satisfied?

Why does she want him to be at the finals so desperately, enough to imagine him there??

Why was she bothered by his fading romantic feelings....!? Shouldn't she be relieved? She knows she can't have him back like before....she can be friends with him, which he obviously still is but be her closest person? What does she want? For him to come and watch? To be her support? She has all her support there plus Arata...why be so upset?

Why think such things as she did in 234? Did she only now realise to which extent he was important to her?
chiakimagotoMay 18, 2021 2:51 AM
May 18, 2021 2:56 AM
Sep 2015
chiakimagoto said:

Her dream came true: they were reunited as a trio on the tatami. Taichi came back to karuta even if he left and was there with Arata and her.

What could she want more of Taichi tbh?

He obviously is still her friend, helped her at the challenger as a teammate should, wished her and Arata well in the most sincere way. Shouldn't she be satisfied?

Why does she want him to be at the finals so desperately, enough to imagine him there??

Why was she bothered by his fading romantic feelings....!? Shouldn't she be relieved? She knows she can't have him back like before....she can be friends with him, which he obviously still is but be her closest person? What does she want? For him to come and watch? To be her support? She has all her support there plus Arata...why be so upset?

Why think such things as she did in 234? Did she only now realise to which extent he was important to her?

It's obvious Chihaya is confuse passion with love after all. Next chapter 236 perhaps sensei will let us peek a bit into what Chihaya's mind.
May 18, 2021 3:48 AM
May 2021
chiakimagoto said:

She used to be very open to him, so this just greeting and small talk thing they're doing isn't usual for her I think? And he did wish the best for her and Arata, but not to her face, just to Arata and Sensei and other people around her. Considering the time they spent together, her attending all his important matches and him attending hers, him just "wishing" doesn't feel complete to their usual dynamics for me.

chiakimagoto said:

I didn't touch on 234 at all! I think there are some moments Chihaya thinks of them as not friends, and some as long time friends. For example:
Taichi - as friends: wanting him to reach class A, wanting to know his problems, wanting to make him smile, etc
- probably not as friends: her quitting the club after him, her thinking of his fading feelings in ch 234, etc
Arata - as friends: wanting him to come back, wanting to play against him, etc
- probably not as friends: thinking she likes him, etc.
Which is why I said I've rooted for both boys, but considering team Chihayafuru was a trio, wouldn't it end with them being a trio? Just a wishful thought though.
May 18, 2021 5:01 AM

Oct 2012
And he did wish the best for her and Arata, but not to her face, just to Arata and Sensei and other people around her. Considering the time they spent together, her attending all his important matches and him attending hers, him just "wishing" doesn't feel complete to their usual dynamics for me.

@kokoronashigumi, how can their usual dynamics got back to like before???

That's impossible. Before their dynamics was of a boy in an unrequited love with his best friend, and her basking in that love without knowing.

That can never be anymore

Or she reciprocates that love because she misses it terribly.

Or she has to accept that their dynamics have changed and he is no more than a friend. He did wish her directly well *and you become the best in the world*! With all his heart he wished it.

His heart is broken but he wished her well with a smile. With the declaration of the eventual fading of his romantic feelings for her, yes she lost "that love". If she doesn't want to reciprocate it, she must be able to accept the change in their dynamics. There is a chance she doesn't want to lose that love, because she wants to share it with him, she wants to share that important moment with him. Because she has realised he is her closest person.

Chihaya has already felt so bad about crushing his feelings, she's not the clueless girl she used to be....she now knows better. How can she want him to come and only break his heart more. She can be friends with him. They always will be, just not like before if she has Arata in the first place in her heart.

Does she?

They still can be friends all 3....but they never will be 12 years old again. Life is ever changing,and their teenage almost stepping into adult selves can only cherish those childhood memories warmly because they never will be the same. There will always be a new dynamic..... it's simply life and growing up that makes it like that...

It also can simply be she understand the great importance of Taichi in her life, and has maybe started to look at him in a different way than her best friend of the past, but something new: It's Taichi, but a Taichi she doesn't fully know yet, but is open to meet now.
chiakimagotoMay 18, 2021 7:06 AM
May 21, 2021 4:42 AM
May 2021
chiakimagoto said:

@kokoronashigumi, how can their usual dynamics got back to like before???

That's impossible. Before their dynamics was of a boy in an unrequited love with his best friend, and her basking in that love without knowing.

Isn't it precisely because they are growing up, that they are no longer 12 years olds that it is possible? I've seen my friends broke up after 5 years long relationship, and came back being close friends again, they were 18. It's not that complex. The manga obviously is more dramatic, but isn't the essence just the same? Their previous dynamics was friendship with the other reasons for Taichi caring for her being his unrequited love. It's not that hard to recover. Also, not everything Taichi does for Chihaya is based on his unrequited feelings. Many of his personality traits are based on that, correct, but not all of it. The way he acts around her is a mix of being unrequited and being a best friend and being a club president. The plot is central to Chihaya, so the good question about their characters would be: what is Arata, take away him being Chihaya's admiration object and subtle love interest? What is Taichi, take away him being in love with Chihaya and being her best friend? That is what they are without Chihaya. I think Chihayafuru has run long enough that both of them can stand being a character even without being tied to Chihaya, but I'm sure the ending will be either she ends up with one of them or them being a trio of karuta players again.

And I do think Taichi looks unreachable at times after he left, but it's not like he's a totally different person. Sudo pointed it out, didn't he? "Even though you're going on your own ways, and your karuta isn't similar anymore, you still remained connected somehow". And there was Chihaya's thoughts from Yoshino finals. "It's Taichi, but he plays like a stranger. It's a stranger's karuta, but it's Taichi". I think whatever the ending is, even if she ends up with Taichi or not, the fact that they will be back as friends is probably assured. I can't imagine Chihaya being in a relationship with someone that is purely/mostly romantic. I mean, from the manga so far, the most important things for Chihaya is her friends and their platonic bonds. Their current dynamics, cheering for each other then disappearing? It's uncomfortable enough to stay friends like that, it's so awkward. So yes, I believe that even if she ends up with Taichi, or if she doesn't, the first thing that will happen after the Queen matches is them being back as best friends again. It may even happen in between the fourth and the fifth matches.
kokoronashigumiMay 21, 2021 4:53 AM
May 21, 2021 9:26 AM

Oct 2012
Ofcourse Taichi will always be Chihaya's friend but just not as close as he was before if she ends up with Arata. If they end up together they will be best friends and more.

Arata can also stay friends with them if Taichi and Chihaya end up together, he'll probably get over it too, especially because he never was as close as Taichi was with Chihaya.

Whatever happens the dynamics of their childhood selves will change.

I don't think Chihaya will always be clueless. She has matured in the meantime and it all has sunk in. Probably her heart will speak for itself....which I think is already happening since the challenger.

"He was always here" right by her side, 16/17
chiakimagotoMay 23, 2021 5:02 AM
Jun 12, 2021 7:32 AM
Jan 2018
ARATA PLEASE SENSEI
Jul 16, 2021 10:38 PM

Oct 2012
Actually, it's easy, you look at the chapters that sucite the most comments and on a little scale here you already know.
Aug 19, 2021 6:36 PM

Aug 2020
as i have said before taichi deserves way better han chihaya,

taichi my boi, shouldn't lump himself with losers like chihaya or arata, i mean who gives a damn about karuta, taichi should just leave karuta and focus on something he is good at
Aug 19, 2021 6:42 PM

Jul 2016
TokuchiToua123 said:

taichi my boi, shouldn't lump himself with losers like chihaya or arata, i mean who gives a damn about karuta, taichi should just leave karuta and focus on something he is good at
lmao, laughed at the "i mean who gives a damn about karuta"
Aug 19, 2021 6:44 PM

Aug 2020
Cazqui-09 said:
TokuchiToua123 said:

just kidding hahah, i mean i know the manga is about karuta but still it just hurts seeing taichi struggle, cuz i have been in a similar situation not long ago
Aug 19, 2021 6:48 PM

Jul 2016
TokuchiToua123 said:
Cazqui-09 said:
just kidding hahah, i mean i know the manga is about karuta but still it just hurts seeing taichi struggle, cuz i have been in a similar situation not long ago
yeah, i totally get it. i've liked a friend before, and not even halfway through but from the start. i've been knew that chihayafuru isn't about romance, chihaya makes that obvious enough with her intense fixation on karuta. but every time i look at taichi, that miserable fk... 100% if chihaya didn't exist, he wouldn't be playing karuta. i do see him as wasting his time on a fruitless endeavor, especially when he's a catch. that's just me tho.
Aug 20, 2021 1:35 AM

Sep 2018
The fairest ending would be that one between Arata and Taichi becomes the Meijin, and the other one gets Chihaya. But, you know, life isn't fair...

Arata getting both and Taichi nothing doesn't feel right, though. I think it's more likely that the romance will be left unresolved, something like "we'll see how things work out when Arata moves to Tokyo". Basically a 99% Arata x Chihaya, while also leaving a 1% glimmer of hope for Taichi shippers.
Aug 21, 2021 10:07 PM
Jun 2019
Nirinbo said:
The fairest ending would be that one between Arata and Taichi becomes the Meijin, and the other one gets Chihaya. But, you know, life isn't fair...

Arata getting both and Taichi nothing doesn't feel right, though. I think it's more likely that the romance will be left unresolved, something like "we'll see how things work out when Arata moves to Tokyo". Basically a 99% Arata x Chihaya, while also leaving a 1% glimmer of hope for Taichi shippers.

No, not really. Sensei will definitely give the conclusion. The next chapter probably spill who will gonna win. Sensei promise everyone getting their happy ending.
Jun 30, 2022 3:11 AM
Feb 2021
Nirinbo said:

It looks like that is going to happen. Two chapters left. Let's see if there are any surprises.
Aug 14, 2022 3:48 AM

Apr 2012
she ends up with, by far the best boy of the series
Aug 14, 2022 10:40 AM

Jan 2020
Suntears said:
she ends up with, by far the best boy of the series

So true 😭😭😭
Aug 15, 2022 12:34 AM

Oct 2012
Yeah gosh, it happened 😭😭😭💓
Aug 15, 2022 7:37 AM

Mar 2008

I almost had an attack when it happened, I wasn't expecting this at all, have giving up years ago.
Aug 15, 2022 7:43 PM
Aug 2010
Why do so many like Taichi? It felt like it was forced and he honestly was a toxic option. Look at how he acted. Look how through the ENTIRE series he thought of Chihaya as "his" or look how just cause he didn't respond how he wanted with his confession he INTENTIONALLY hurt her and it hurt her even being able to play her favorite thing, Karuta... or look at how he eventually just left her from even being friends or communicating like a friend cause she didn't respond how he wanted. He is a trash man and it's shocking how many support him...

And don't give me the horse shit "BUT THE SYMBOLISM WITH THE CARDS!" if the symbolism doesn't match up well with the actual events and how people acted... it's pretty shit to say it's good enough reasoning and kinda feels like it's trying to force justification in an obviously trash development. This felt like a huge asspull and to appease the polls/fans more than actual how things went. Look at how shit set up with "answering Arata" and whatnot was dropped entirely too... it was a bad development. Shinobu x Chihaya would have been a stronger and better romantic option, honestly.
Aug 15, 2022 8:25 PM

Jan 2020
As Sensei said: if you think that the endgame doesn’t make sense, reread the whole story. Apparently you did it wrong 😉😉
Aug 15, 2022 9:36 PM

Oct 2012
lets go Taichi! My boy didnt get Vampire Knight'd!

I hope to see this animated
Aug 16, 2022 1:24 AM
Jun 2019
Sapertinny said:
As Sensei said: if you think that the endgame doesn’t make sense, reread the whole story. Apparently you did it wrong 😉😉

A lot of people did, they need to reread the story again
Aug 16, 2022 6:33 AM

Apr 2016
I’m so happy for my boy 😭

“Don’t cry. Not yet.
Just feeling the frustration is enough”

Sep 6, 2022 1:15 AM

Jul 2014
I don't like Taichi and I think I figured out why. The characters' struggles in Chihayafuru are often depicted in an indirect and poetic way through karuta, but Taichi is the only one to have such raw, heavy, real and ugly emotions on display for all of us readers to see. So while that might make Taichi the most relatable and best written character in the manga, 90% of the drama in Chihayafuru came from him so it kinda felt like he was spoiling my fun. So the problem, to me, is that Taichi has been written differently from the other characters. He's a romance/drama character in a sports/slice of life manga.
Johnny-JaySep 8, 2022 2:16 AM
Sep 6, 2022 2:50 PM
Sep 2022
Johnny-Jay said:
I don't like Taichi and I think I figured out why. The characters' struggles in Chihayafuru are often depicted in an indirect and poetic way through karuta, but Taichi is the only one to have such raw, heavy, real and ugly emotions on display for all of us readers to see. So while that might makes Taichi the most relatable and best written character in the manga, 90% of the drama in Chihayafuru came from him so it kinda felt like he was spoiling my fun. So the problem, to me, is that Taichi has been written differently from the other characters. He's a romance/drama character in a sports/slice of life manga.

Yes, so there must be a lot of Taichi fans here.

The reason why there are many people who hate Taichi in Japan is probably the same reason.

What's certain is that this manga is a great masterpiece when you're immersed in Taichi. If not, it's either plain or bad. As you said, Taichi did everything in this manga except to be a meijin. Chihaya didn't have that description.
Sep 7, 2022 3:42 PM
Jun 2019
FLAME2352352 said:
Johnny-Jay said:
I don't like Taichi and I think I figured out why. The characters' struggles in Chihayafuru are often depicted in an indirect and poetic way through karuta, but Taichi is the only one to have such raw, heavy, real and ugly emotions on display for all of us readers to see. So while that might makes Taichi the most relatable and best written character in the manga, 90% of the drama in Chihayafuru came from him so it kinda felt like he was spoiling my fun. So the problem, to me, is that Taichi has been written differently from the other characters. He's a romance/drama character in a sports/slice of life manga.

The reason why there are many people who hate Taichi in Japan is probably the same reason.

What's certain is that this manga is a great masterpiece when you're immersed in Taichi. If not, it's either plain or bad. As you said, Taichi did everything in this manga except to be a meijin. Chihaya didn't have that description.

Arata too did everything to be a meijin except becoming Chihaya girlfriend he barely do anything than karuta to Chihaya except insesitive and awkwardly confessing I mean if just confessing without supporting or trying tk understand her life beside karuta is just plain stupid hoping to be her lover, i'm glad he was rejected too because if he ends up with Chihaya it wont make sense at all. GLAD SOMEONE SEE THE FLAW BETWEEN TAICHI AND ARATA!

A lot of people hate Taichi too! But the majority of Chihayafuru readers is supporting Taichi even her fellow mangaka artist like Hiro Mashima, Aoyama Gosho which follow Chihayafuru too hoping Taichi to win even her husband!
Sep 7, 2022 3:58 PM
Sep 2022
FLAME2352352 said:

Arata too did everything to be a meijin except becoming Chihaya girlfriend he barely do anything than karuta to Chihaya except insesitive and awkwardly confessing I mean if just confessing without supporting or trying tk understand her life beside karuta is just plain stupid hoping to be her lover, i'm glad he was rejected too because if he ends up with Chihaya it wont make sense at all. GLAD SOMEONE SEE THE FLAW BETWEEN TAICHI AND ARATA!

A lot of people hate Taichi too! But the majority of Chihayafuru readers is supporting Taichi even her fellow mangaka artist like Hiro Mashima, Aoyama Gosho which follow Chihayafuru too hoping Taichi to win even her husband!

Yes, I prefer people like you who are openly Taichi fans to hypocrites pretending to be for Arata.

I'm glad you enjoyed the ending of this manga!
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Problem with this manga.

Suiely_c-ute - Mar 22

3 by Suiely_c-ute »»
Mar 28, 7:51 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 247 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MaahHeim - Jul 31, 2022

197 by chiakimagoto »»
Mar 18, 1:31 AM

» Chihayafuru Sequel - Chihayafuru plus - kimi ga tame announced

ItzElite - Oct 31, 2023

19 by CelticMindset »»
Jan 2, 3:34 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 205 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2018

79 by Zooincle »»
Oct 31, 2023 9:39 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 134 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2014

15 by Zooincle »»
Oct 29, 2023 9:23 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.