Forum Settings
Forums

How important are "looks" in a relationship?

New
Do you have to be physically attracted to date someone?
Yes, of course.
57.3%
No, it matters more whats on the inside
20.0%
Some other response (post to explain)
22.7%
110 votes
Jan 16, 2010 6:51 PM
Jan 2010
So a side goal out of all this is not to sound horribly shallow. We will see how that goes.
Situation: I have a friend who is absolutely awesome. She and I get along in almost every aspect. Interests, beliefs, goals, fun, etc etc. Obviously thats why we are friends. However, in regards to dating, I have never taken her on any "dates" or outings for the purpose of developing our "relationship" romantically.
Just recently (basically just a few minute ago) I realized that I think the only reason I have not pursued her romantically is because of "looks."
She is not an ugly girl by any means, but not overly attractive to me.

So the question I have is should I date this friend that I get along with and enjoy being with even though I am not very physically attracted?

Side note: From personal observations and from others knowledge I think she might have some interest romantically in me.

I am not looking for someone to make up my mind for me, I just sort of wants some thoughts on this.

Thanks!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 16, 2010 6:59 PM

Dec 2007
We had this thread.

Yes, looks are important. They are the first thing you know of a person. If you smell, are horrible, look sick or something similar, chances to mate get lower, because you are obviously not fit to survive.

As for your question, don't date her. Keep her for friend. If you are not attracted to her phisically the whole point of associating a love relationship to a friendship dies off completely. You'll only end up losing her as friend.
^This or ignore me. I'm a girl and I know nothing of the world.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Jan 16, 2010 7:07 PM

Jul 2009
If you have no romantic feelings for her don't date her. Whatever the reason you don't have romantic feelings for her, if they are not there you shouldn't pretend.

I think [for me] loving someone's personality comes first, and from that you are physically attracted to them, even if they are not obviously attractive to others.

But everyone is different and can go ahead and look for different things in others.

Powered by hinatachan - TaigaForum
Jan 16, 2010 7:21 PM

Jul 2006
Who wants to bang an ugly chick? Not me.

Unless she is like an 80 year old millionaire. I..... could live with that.

Jan 16, 2010 7:27 PM
Oct 2009
'practice girl'
Jan 16, 2010 7:38 PM

Dec 2009
as someone said already, looks are a starting point for any type of romantic relationship. its the first thing you notice about a person and the first thing that will grab your attention.

that being said, looks are not what define a relationship. personality is what keeps relationships going strong. if you dont connect with the person, your relationship will never evolve. how you connect with people and the relationships you create are based on how you connect with them. many romantic relationships stem from existing relationships, even though when you first saw each other you werent attracted to each other.

you should look at your relationship and decide whether or not you have romantic feelings for this person. in your case, dont even take looks into account. look only at your feelings for her and decide if you have only platonic feelings or if maybe there is something more.
Jan 16, 2010 7:38 PM

Oct 2009
Dating someone pretty is better than dating someone ugly.
Jan 16, 2010 8:02 PM

Feb 2008
wtf d00d, you're basically saying 'j0, i don't like this grrl romantically but should i date her anyway', what kind of queue is that

wait, what do you mean by overly-attractive? what? a girl has to be overly attractive? like zooey deschanel attractive? good luck wit finding a chixxorz like that dat yo.

but srsly, looks are important but so are personality, it's 50/50, i mean i wouldnt go after a grrl if she was a total bitch or like uber slutty, even if she was hot. okay, if she was really really really really really really really really hotter than hot zooey deschanel + eva green in james bond hot then idk maybe

like some person said before, looks are the first impression you get of a person, so it is important.
Jan 16, 2010 8:20 PM

May 2008
In my mind, attraction to looks is the sexuality of a person.
While on the other hand, attraction to personality is the romantically emotional side of a person.

Few are without one or the other, a person may have sexual feelings about someone with a bad personality. But not find them suitable for sex or dating because of their personality.

Without looks attraction, and a person that personality comes first, are all bisexuals. Because they are basically attracted to all but simply put personality first and a person's looks 'grows on them'. One might call this a blends of Omnisexuality and Hyposexuality. And more "warm up sexuality" where one's attraction to personality clouds, overlaps, and influences upon their sexuality to where their sexuality cannot be very separated from their emotional attractions.

Aside from this kind of attraction, looks will always be important, or most people would not be homosexual or heterosexual, but bisexual. Most people have an aesthetic leaning of some sort, mine as a bisexual is androgyny. Looks attraction is not shallow at all, it is however naive to apply this to romantic attraction and think it will work out. Shallow would be a word better off for things aside from sexual interest, such as intellectual. Judging a presidential candidate based upon looks rather than ideology. That would be more shallow than caring a great deal about looks in a sexuality based relationship.

I tend to separate the three, the looks I find sexually attractive, the personality I look for in a friend or romantic partner, and the intellectually respectable. Though hopefully all three could overlap in one person.

I'm not a rake/slut so I care for all three. I don't just want random sex. Though someone who does just want much sex shouldn't need worry a great deal of the personalities of the partners he or she wants to have sex with. Romance is basically a friendship with sexuality involved, so both factors are very important. You may want to say "deeper than friendship", okay, how does BFF who you bond with through sexuality sound? And for a person to be of the pure intellectual value, part of personality like fun to be around don't matter. I don't need to be around Noam Chomsky to find him to be an influential individual.

So basically, you don't need (much) personality for sex. You need both looks and personality for romance, assuming you're not turned-on by every single thing and "easy" so to speak. And you don't need either of those things you are judging someone by on intellectual capability.

And again, while looks have their limitations, they are far from pointless or shallow. Else if looks don't matter, sexuality classification is pointless. And anyone who says looks don't matter at all is either asexual, bisexual, or lying.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Jan 16, 2010 8:25 PM

Jul 2008
Looks are not the most important, but they do play a part. Beauty is not universal, so what attracts one person does not attract another, and everyone has a different standard of beauty. But the key is that there is attraction between the two people.

Ultimately, it is the personality and devotion people have for one another that will see a relationship through. Without this a relationship would undoubtedly fail and with this, if any other obstacles exist you can work your way past them. However that doesn't mean it will be easy.

But think about it: if you date her, what is it telling her? That you're attracted to her and that you like her. But you're not that attracted to her, so that very act would be a lie.

Let's think further. Let's say you do hook up, and the question of sex comes up. Except you're not that attracted to her at all and you won't want to do all that kissy cuddly lovey dovey stuff with her. How do you think this will make her feel? Sure, sex is not the most important thing, but it does matter. And if you're not attracted to her, it will reflect in the way you treat her in regards to this. Physical contact can bring people closer together, and if it will seem that you're not that interested in it she will begin to question herself and whether you truly like her. She may blame herself because she won't be pretty enough for you and it will damage her confidence. And if she confronts you about it, you will assure her you do like her, leading to more deceit.

Or, on the flip side, after you hook up, you could fall in love with her so madly that her personality will make you insanely attracted to her despite her physical shortcomings.

But I'd say the second scenario is not as likely. Either way, if things don't work out you'll lose a friend, which is not something I would risk.

So don't do it, at least not for now. Wait a bit and see what the future has in store. Don't know how old you guys are but assuming you're both teenagers, giving her a year or so to mature may make a world of difference, if you're still single by then.

I am the senpai that notices you.

Jan 16, 2010 9:00 PM

Mar 2009
Well as everyone has said looks are somewhat important they certainly are'nt everything,but if your willing to give her a chance even though she may be avg in your eyes, you might find her looks will grow on you. Though my question to you is right now the idea of kissing her gross to you? because if your not even into her looks that much than I don't think it will work out & it would be unfair to her.
Jan 16, 2010 9:22 PM

May 2008
PrincessJustice said:
Unless she is like an 80 year old millionaire. I..... could live with that.

Agreeable.

Jan 16, 2010 9:27 PM

Sep 2008
Depends on the person really, there are alot of people in relationships with people who aren't physically attractive in the slightest.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Jan 16, 2010 9:32 PM

Jul 2008
Well it depend on the matter, if she look hot but is a total bitch I won't date her.
If she's an average looking girl who do not stand out and have a nice personality I might have more chance to date her.
If I think that she is ugly I won't date her in any case. I consider that people should take care of themselve a minimum, I don't mind a plain looking girl, it's not hard to be at an average level. Good clothe and a little cosmetik is enough to bring about any woman to a ok level.

And then comes my preference and what I dislike but overall it's what I said.
Jan 16, 2010 9:40 PM
Nov 2009
I don't think it's important. Perhaps however many hundred years ago when we chose a mate for breeding purposes, someone who looked sickly would not be ideal. But not anymore.

Jan 16, 2010 9:45 PM
May 2008
Lilah said:
I don't think it's important. Perhaps however many hundred years ago when we chose a mate for breeding purposes, someone who looked sickly would not be ideal. But not anymore.

That's because all the sickly looking people are those like Bill Gates. And, of course, those kind of people rule the world. :P

To the OP: If you don't feel like being romantically involved, then don't.

Jan 16, 2010 9:57 PM

Jun 2008
The question seems wrong to me. If you already are in a relationship then it means you already passed the stage of evaluating the looks and how important they are to you.
Jan 16, 2010 10:11 PM

Oct 2007
initially looks do matter. there has to be a point of initial attraction.

but as for your question, if you are having doubts dating her because of her looks, you shouldnt go out with her. because as you get deeper in a relationship, things on the outside should become less relevant. if she is as close and awesome as a friend as you say she is.... why should it matter if your girlfriend is super hot or not?
Jan 16, 2010 10:20 PM

Sep 2008
The problems with looks are they never last, everyone gets old, A more important question to ask your self is " Can I live with this person for the rest of my life with out ringing her god damn neck ever time she opens her mouth!?", I'd chose personal enjoyment over looks any day. What would you rather have a pretty girl who will make u miserable and only be pretty for maybe 10 or 20 years? or a some one who doesn't make you wanna paint your house with blood?

But if you into short term, then just go for looks, fuck personality.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Jan 16, 2010 11:02 PM

Apr 2008
Why do you think you need to date her? Are you retarded? I'm going to go with yes.
Jan 16, 2010 11:14 PM

Jul 2008
edgeofeternity said:
Side note: From personal observations and from others knowledge I think she might have some interest romantically in me.
Whenever a guy thinks a girl is interested in him...

he's wrong.
Jan 16, 2010 11:39 PM
Jan 2010
Well, basically a lot of this is what I have thought about. For and against. I guess, I did not explain too well. Its not that I am not attracted to her at all. Its just that there are other girls I date and its good for a bit and it doesn't work out. Thats life. However, I have been dating for years now, (I think someone asked but I am 23, she is 24) and so far any time I have gone for a beautiful girl, its been "fun" but there is nothing long term that I can see happening with these girls.
I think that I might have a wrong conception of what I want in a girl. I would kiss her, to respond to someone earlier, she is not ugly for sure, prolly a 6/10 on some random hotness scale.
I guess it comes down to I don't want to "settle" just because I want a long term relationship and a family and such. Although that is way down the line.

I do appreciate your comments so far. It helps to know that people have opinions for both sides. I am trying to decided which one is best and find some balance.
Jan 17, 2010 12:01 AM

Dec 2009
Looks are important to a certain extent, yeah. You want your partner to be a good person, you know, loving, faithful, smart, etc.. But you need to be attracted to them, too. Or it's more like they're just a friend, not a lover.
Jan 17, 2010 12:02 AM

May 2008
Plate said:
Why do you think you need to date her? Are you retarded? I'm going to go with yes.

I would normally say the person want to appeal to a society that believes in the ladder theory and loveshyness, but these people who believe strictly in such concepts also objectify women and don't challenge that looks are of utmost importance in hierarchy.

Jan 17, 2010 12:37 AM

May 2008
The fact that OP actually has to get a second opinion strikes me as funny.

If you're so uncertain that you have to ask other people whether you want to date someone, you probably shouldn't date them, whatever the reason.
Jan 17, 2010 12:41 AM

Jun 2007
Very. Anyone who says otherwise should try screwing a pig and see if they feel the same way about the whole 'It's the insides that count!' bull.

When people meet, it isn't their personalities that are noticed first - it's their plus and minus points in terms of looks. If a person has too many negatives, sex is out of the question unless money changes hands.
Jan 17, 2010 12:59 AM
Jul 2018
Personalities are the most important, followed by looks. I don't want a beautiful person with a horrid personality, but nor do I want a very nice and ugly person.

Preferably, both will be average, but I always tend towards personality instead of looks.
Jan 18, 2010 1:06 AM
Oct 2009
I don't wnat to be like for my looks so I don't expect someone who is sexy to be with me.

Though I am in a relationship with a very cute girl; she got the short end of that stick.
Jan 18, 2010 9:33 AM
Aug 2009
Looks are only important up until either side opens their mouth for the first time.
Jan 18, 2010 9:37 AM

Oct 2009
i dont care about looks if a person is good from inside that's all that matters if a person is good inside and it happened to be beautiful great ^^

Jan 18, 2010 9:53 AM

May 2008
How can a 23 boy consider dating someone for whom he doesn't feel any attraction is beyond me. Especially considering he's got no problems with getting dates.
Being fuck-buddies or, like somebody called it, making her a 'practice girl' (mutually, you'd be a 'practice boy', no exploitation please) is sensible if she's up to it, but somehow I doubt she would.

Jan 18, 2010 10:16 AM

Dec 2009
i'd rather have a girl with average looks and a great personality than a girl with great looks and an average personality.

though i would never suggest dating someone if your opinion of her is "why not?"
Jan 18, 2010 1:30 PM

Oct 2009
looks are not important in a relationship. if you really like/love the person they are, they will be beautiful to you, regardless of what they look like.
Jan 18, 2010 1:51 PM

Jun 2008
Aionic said:
Very. Anyone who says otherwise should try screwing a pig and see if they feel the same way about the whole 'It's the insides that count!' bull.

When people meet, it isn't their personalities that are noticed first - it's their plus and minus points in terms of looks. If a person has too many negatives, sex is out of the question unless money changes hands.
It isn't "very" for everyone since some, if not most, people have a high tolerance for a variety of physical appearances. That isn't to say that looks doesn't matter at all, whatsoever. Just that when most people say it's the personality that matters, it's probably because some, if not most, people have a lower tolerance for specific personalities instead of a high tolerance for looks.
Jan 18, 2010 3:37 PM
Oct 2009
lol try telling the ppl on 'beautifulpeople.com' looks don't matter
Jan 18, 2010 6:08 PM

Feb 2009
I answered another response, but I do agree that looks are important. In a sense of hygiene and physical attraction. But to categorize people as "ugly" and "pretty" are really a matter of personal preference. We've all seen those, erm, couples that just do not compute in our eyes. (Hell. Someone has to love 'em, I guess.)

Not that there aren't those people that have those faces even a Mother could gag at. Sad, but my god, is it true.

Cleanliness is how declare one in "looks" before actual features. But thats just me.

But, damn. Date her if you want. Personality is a huge part in it, alongside looks. If you click, go. But don't if it isn't there.

:\
MissytalkerJan 18, 2010 6:12 PM

Jan 19, 2010 6:59 AM

Nov 2009
Looks arent really important for me, If she's hot, but if she's incredibly stupid, or arrogant I dont want anytthing to do with her.
Jan 19, 2010 7:33 AM

Aug 2008
With regards to physical appearance... men actually have an advantage.

If a girl is ugly, guess what? There's nothing much for her to fix that. If a guy sees an ugly girl, forget it. No chance in hell there.

If a guy is ugly, it can be OK, as long as the guy knows how to make a girl feel that "certain" way. Furthermore, this male "ugliness" can be worked on and improved.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Jan 19, 2010 8:57 AM

Jan 2010
Little_Sparrow said:
Personalities are the most important, followed by looks. I don't want a beautiful person with a horrid personality, but nor do I want a very nice and ugly person.

Preferably, both will be average, but I always tend towards personality instead of looks.

I agree.
Jan 24, 2010 5:17 PM

Nov 2008
personality is def important, but honestly, i probably wouldn't learn enough about their personality if i didn't find their looks attractive enough.
Jan 24, 2010 5:20 PM

Jun 2008
I vote for what's on the inside. What's the point of being with someone gorgeous who treats you like crap?

I would much rather have someone who has a good heart, and will thus treat you right.
Jan 24, 2010 5:50 PM
Jul 2018
Reape said:
Looks are only important up until either side opens their mouth for the first time.

For the most part, I do agree, however this doesn't apply to fugly ppl, unfortunately.
Jan 24, 2010 5:51 PM

Feb 2009
MidnightCheddar said:
I vote for what's on the inside. What's the point of being with someone gorgeous who treats you like crap?

I would much rather have someone who has a good heart, and will thus treat you right.

Thats a very good point.

Jan 24, 2010 5:56 PM

Aug 2009
It depends on the person. Only you can know how important looks are to YOU. If you care a lot about looks, that is fine. Don't let other people tell you that something shouldn't bother you if it genuinely bothers you. That applies to any element in a relationship, not just looks, btw. For example some people are ok with dating someone of a different religion, some are not. Neither type of person is right or wrong, it is just a matter of personal preference. If you are only attracted to nice looking people that doesn't make you shallow, it is just preference. Someone can care a lot about personality but still only be attracted to nice looking people--in other words, someone might only be attracted to people with both good looks and a good personality. These people might find it harder to find a partner because of their higher standards, but it doesn't mean they should try to change their preferences. Preferences are completely personal, they are no one's business but your own.
Jan 24, 2010 8:51 PM

Jun 2008
I think it'd be unfair to judge only on looks, personality matters, but looks do play a part as well... looks are what attract you to get to know someone's personality. I wouldn't have a relationship based only on personality or only on looks. Personality is the major part, though.

But they don't have to be the best looking person in the world when you're in love.
Jan 24, 2010 9:00 PM

Jun 2008
When you think about her, do you think about what she does or how she looks when she does them?

Personally, I think it's wrong to base a relationship based on how the look. Would you rather date a hot bitch or a sweet girl you connect with, but she's not the hottest thing in the world? Would you rather have someone to turn to when you need someone, or someone to turn to when you feel horny? If you feel really connected to her, go for it. If you just want to tap that ass, it's not fair to her.
Jan 24, 2010 9:16 PM

Jan 2010
The look is somewhat important considering that that's the first thing you notice before learning more about the person.
Jan 24, 2010 9:18 PM
Dec 2009
as long as they are true
Jan 24, 2010 9:18 PM

Aug 2009
I'm not going to lie, the girl has to be somewhat good looking. I'm not saying she has to be extremely hot but I'm not attracted to anyone based on personality ALONE. That being said, personality will always matter way more. And actually, some of the hottest girls in my school are the biggest bitches and drama queens I've ever known (a real shame).
Jan 24, 2010 9:45 PM
Nov 2008
As a guy, the girl on sight must look pleasant and have a good heart. It's as simple as this, it requires both aspects to be good, the inside and the outside. Then again, each guy has his own preference to how a girl's looks are. Technically speaking, there is no real standard as to how a guy views a girl as beautiful. It all boils down to one's taste.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.