Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 29, 2016 5:13 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
"Emotional manipulation" sounds like too aggressive a term for something that, in one way or another, every form of entertainment media does.
May 29, 2016 6:34 AM
Apr 2016
Rojo said:
cherryblossom519 said:
This is the exact reason why I rated Angel Beats a 6. Characters need to have more than a tragic backstory to make me feel bad for them.

It makes sense why they all have sad backstories for this show in a way.

[spoiler]I mean, they are there because they have something unfulfilled in their past lives and this is a second chance for them. It wouldn't really make sense for someone to be there if their life was pretty straight forward. So I wouldn't say for this show it's "emotional manipulation" and it's actually more of... sticking to its story line.[/url]

It does make sense why they have those backstories, that I understand, I just think the characters needed a lot more development to make me feel bad for them. I feel like I didn't really get to know the characters.
May 29, 2016 7:31 AM

Apr 2008
Can we have a more proper definition of the term and «without earning it»? Because so far it looks like «I didn't cry so it didn't deserve to try to be sad».

I understand that ‘without earning it’ means that you are supposed to care, not because the show spend time or did anything to develop the character, but (most probably) because the character is a cute girl. For me Homura from Madoka is very good example of it. Homura has the least screen time and before you learn anything about other than that she is a mysterious magical girl who wants to stop Madoka from becoming a magical girl, the show slaps you with her sad backstory. At which point I didn’t understand why I should give a damn about her suffering.
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
May 29, 2016 7:44 AM

Aug 2014
jal90 said:
Can we have a more proper definition of the term and «without earning it»? Because so far it looks like «I didn't cry so it didn't deserve to try to be sad».
Simple: forced feels is not "earning it". Slapping a tragic story right before the character dies, while not trying to develop or try to make the viewer care for them is not earning it. Best example I can think of is Angel Beats!
May 29, 2016 5:56 PM

Jan 2011
Moogle-Magic said:
Yeah, there's definitely too many of them. A very good example is Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, which was utterly shit. Not even the good music saved it, in my opinion. Yet this anime's rating is so high, it's unbelievable.

For some anime, however, I think it's because they are too short, as @tsudecimo said. If they had more time to develop the characters, that would've been nice. A good example for this is ERASED, or Boku Dake ga Inai Machi, whatever tickles your fancy. The story is riddled with plot holes and conveniences, but it would've been much better if they didn't involve so much 'emotional manipulation'.

I haven't read the manga for ERASED so I can't say for sure, but if the anime followed the manga, maybe if the author took their time to develop the characters more, then they would deem that amount of emotional manipulation to be unnecessary, too.

imo Angel Beats is worse than Shigatsu but they are among the top, while I disliked Angel Beats, I actually enjoyed Shigatsu, but feel that the level of praise it gets is undeserved largely precisely due to the fact that I know for a fact many would fall for its "emotional manipulation".

I felt a bit of that from ERASED as well, but it was covered up really well that I can't really say for sure. As someone said, "feels" should be developed naturally, not forced upon the viewers. Some people, mainly those that do watch anime casually will likely not notice these things, or people who connected to the story due to external reasons (i.e. being a pianist, watching Shigatsu), and end up getting manipulated. I'm a little to critical to fall prey to this, and the only thing I get from it is a "here's some sad stuff, now cry"
May 29, 2016 7:41 PM

Nov 2013
It pretty much ruins a show for me immediately. It's what ruined Clannad and Angel Beats for me. Instead of building up the characters and making me care about them so that when something bad happens to them I get an emotional reaction, they just start shoving sad tropes down your mouth without realizing what actually makes those tropes sad in the first place.

Kotomi's arc in Clannad is easily the worst for this:

May 29, 2016 10:10 PM

Nov 2009
Snappynator said:
jal90 said:
Simple: forced feels is not "earning it". Slapping a tragic story right before the character dies, while not trying to develop or try to make the viewer care for them is not earning it. Best example I can think of is Angel Beats!

part isn't a tragic backstory no matter how you look at it.
Her tragic backstory is about

And while it's an unexpected reveal, it doesn't feel forced in any way.
May 29, 2016 11:53 PM

Sep 2015
Ryuuzahar said:
amk_2397 said:
Yes, this is what I'm asking. 30 characetrs

I see. I thought you are comparing anime to other mediums. XD

Well, most audience today wants sensationalism. Can't help it. Can we?
Yeah that's true, emotional manipulation happens when 'feels' are either forced or organic. And audiences will look to whatever shows to feel said emotions. If I want to be motivated to work I can go and listen to any speeches given by characters in Gurren Lagann. Or if I want to feel sad I can go and watch the first episode of Plastic Memories.
May 29, 2016 11:58 PM

Dec 2014
i KNOW THERE IS ALWAYS SOME BLACK STORY DRAMA WHICH IS INSERTED FOR MORE DEPTH And I know t's overly used but I think that it really builds on the character
May 30, 2016 12:00 AM

Mar 2015
ehh... i easyly get attached to character or story... i even can get emotionaly attached with less 2 minutes... soo i rarely get this problem...

what i get more is when you given a complex condition but the information given don't do justice that left me more to wondering rather than sad or emotionaly attached...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 30, 2016 12:33 AM
Aug 2015
angel beats has a whole lot of that, and in its case i think it works well. however this is not allways the case. it just depends on how well it was executed.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 30, 2016 1:56 AM
Feb 2014
I've outgrown my "anime is forcing emotions" bullshit because at this point it's just edgelord ranting masked in blatant antinatalism.

I don't get emotional and anime designed to be emotional, but I don't go on edgelord rants like half of this thread is.
May 30, 2016 10:01 AM

May 2015
flannan said:
amk_2397 said:
Emotional manipulation is when a show cuts to the chase to illicit an emotional response from the viewer very quickly. Mainly slapping a character with a 'feels' trait that's basically telling you to care for a character because of a tragic backstory or other similar plot elements. Do you think there's too much of this in anime or is this even a problem?

A story is supposed to emotionally manipulate the viewers, right?
So, anime can do it as often as it wants to, I wouldn't mind.

A good story doesn't have to use cheap tactics and pointless killings to make you feel something.

The depth and meaningful nature of the events is enough.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 1, 2016 1:59 AM

Mar 2015

> this is short
> this is the diviniton of "emotional manipulation"
> this is much better then many non emotional manipulation drama claimed by people...

can't wait upcoming kuzu no honkai too... that's also the definition of emotional manipulation... already ordering my popcorn from now... 2017 can't come faster...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Best Trap Character in Anime?

GoatPieceLuffy - 7 minutes ago

1 by 024 »»
25 seconds ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 9 hours ago

22 by Chandela »»
3 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

33 by DigiCat »»
7 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

54 by _lordcanti »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » how often do you self insert or empathize with anime characters? and do you experience how good or bad the characters situation or experience is too

deg - 7 hours ago

15 by MechKingKillbot »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.