Forum Settings
Forums

On what device do you guys read the majority of your manga, and why?

New
What device do you use to read the majority of your manga?
Apr 28, 2016 7:46 AM

Sep 2013
I was thinking last night when flipping through the pages of some tired nineties shoujo. Why exactly do I used my Kindle exclusively when reading manga? Then I got to wondering what everyone uses, and how their preferences were shaped. Thus, this thread was born.

So what do you guys use to read your manga? Is there a reason for it?

I like using my Kindle Fire, paired with some manga downloading apps. It's a lot lighter than my computer, so I'm comfortable reading in bed or on the couch. It feels like a book, but doesn't bunch up in the corners like real manga books tend to do. And if I download the manga, there's a lot less lag time in between page flips (a lot of manga sites are really bad with this), meaning I can complete a story faster. My kindle's kind of devolved into a one hundred dollar manga machine, lol.
Apr 28, 2016 10:07 AM

Jun 2013
I read most of my manga on the computer, because i feel like I am damaging my eyes less by reading letters on a big screen xd But then again I read a lot of one shots on my smart phone. :)
Apr 28, 2016 10:10 AM
Jan 2013
Used to have this really cheap tablet but it was perfect cause I only used to read manga, so it was cheap, comfortable and convenient
It was amazing
But since it was cheap it was kinda wonky
Then I falcon knee-d is one day to try to reset it
And broke it

Now I read manga on mi much smaller cellphone
*sadfacehere*
I miss mi tablet
gone bai bai
Apr 28, 2016 10:12 AM

Apr 2016
I used to buy the books but got tired of waiting so now i got this app on my phone
Apr 28, 2016 10:31 AM

Jul 2015
Well I mostly read mangas on my phone/tablet, since I could just lie down on my bed and read instead of sitting in front of my PC all day. And for some reason I feel more comfortable while reading that way, since no one can see what I'm doing unlike a big PC screen.

"You shall fall in love with someone who doesn't love you.
For not loving someone who did"

Apr 28, 2016 10:47 AM

Jan 2016
I recently bought the Kindle Fire and installed Perfect Viewer, it's not too big and i use it when i'm on the train.
Apr 28, 2016 11:34 AM

Nov 2011
i barely read manga, but when i do i use my tablet. it's fast and convenient.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Apr 28, 2016 11:40 AM

Dec 2015
I prefer to read the actual books.

But if I don't have the book, I'll read it on my iPad or phone because it's more convenient than my laptop. I will sometimes read manga on my laptop, but not often.

Apr 28, 2016 7:46 PM

Feb 2015
I will always prefer reading a physical copy, but reading on the PC ain't so bad, either. I don't buy a lot of manga nowadays (I used to and now I have so many that, were I an alchemist, I could probably reconstruct them into a giant tree) so I do a lot of my reading on my PC.

Occassionally I'll read manga on my iPhone, but...it's not ideal. The screen is too small and I hate having to zoom in when the panels/text is particularly tiny. If I had a tablet I'd use that instead, but I don't so I have to make do.
Apr 28, 2016 11:43 PM
Sep 2015
I usually try to read the actual copies, but they're pretty hard to obtain where I am, so I end up using my phone most of the time.
Apr 28, 2016 11:51 PM

Jul 2012
My tablet

App I use is Mangarock. I would buy physical copies more often if stores sold the series I want to collect.

Reasons?
- Screen is as big as legit manga
- Huge library
- Can read in the dark
- Don't need to multitask (unlike computer)
- Can read offline, without wifi
Apr 29, 2016 8:01 AM
Jul 2018
Before 2010's I'd been buying actual books, especially battle shounen ones. Since then mostly read on my laptop.
Apr 29, 2016 8:03 AM

Jul 2014
Currently read all my manga on my iPad Pro. I'm really loving the huge screen for this purpose too~

Used to read it from my desktop then on my iPad mini until I got the Pro. I tried to read once on my phone but I hated how small it was.
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Apr 29, 2016 8:06 AM

Sep 2015
Tablet or phone. Phone's got a huge ass screen though so it's easy to read. The app i use is Mangarock. Got a rec to use it from MAL and it's indeed the best.
Apr 29, 2016 8:17 AM

Jun 2014
Using tablet, it's most comfortable, easy to hold and easy to use anywhere... In worst case scenario I use mobile.

Apr 29, 2016 11:47 AM

Jan 2015
I use a tablet at home or in a car. But I read a fair bit on my work pc in my down time
Apr 30, 2016 4:23 PM

Oct 2015
If the manga is available English translated then I typically buy it and collect/read them. If not then computer/cellphone it is.
Apr 30, 2016 5:20 PM

Jun 2012
I buy them mostly. That's probably like how I read 95% of my manga. Sometimes, if there is a series I see people talking about that is pretty new (and probably not going to be released in NA anytime soon...) I will check it out online. Examples are Sakamoto Desu Ga and Tokyo Ghoul (and Tokyo Ghoul: RE). I actually am buying those series now to re-read, so that should tell you how much I prefer the book over a digital screen...
May 1, 2016 8:36 AM

Jan 2016
I use my iPad (and MangaRock). My phone is just too small to read on and makes my eyes hurt, so I stick with the iPad.

Lately though I've been buying my favorite manga so I can read them physically.
May 1, 2016 10:07 AM

Jun 2013
I buy them mostly.
But I have a MangaRock on my phone so if I can't sleep I read manga on that sometimes.
~Where's Gnasty Gnorc? I'll torch him!~
May 1, 2016 10:21 AM
May 2016
For a majority of the time I use my Kindle-my computer crashes way too much and I do the same as you for the most part-download manga apps so I don't have to wait for the laggy site.
Plus I can read it in the dark, which is good because I read most of my manga at night or early morning for some reason. When I read manga I also like to listen to Japanese music, which is good for me because then I can play my music and read at the same time.
I do have physical volumes, and I take those to places that I can't bring my tablet where I read to pass time. It's not as fun without the anime and vocaloid music though XD
What is the question of if one lives to watch anime or if one watches anime to live?
They both mean that anime controls most of your life.

(Made this just to have a signature)
May 1, 2016 10:27 AM

Mar 2016
I read it on my iPad because it got bigger screen then smartphone and I don't feel easy using laptop to read manga.
May 1, 2016 10:51 AM

Jun 2015
On my phone or laptop depending on how quickly I wanna read.
May 1, 2016 12:52 PM

Apr 2016
On my phone or on my computer if I'm at home (I prefer to read it on my smartphone though, I became used to the size of the screen)
May 1, 2016 1:57 PM

Jan 2015
99% of my manga reading comes in the form of physical copies. Call me old fashioned, but that is my preferred way of reading!

If it is a blind read, like after looking up a synopsis or something, I will usually read it on my computer. But if I enjoy the first volume, I will immediately start buying physical copies.
When not on MAL, here is where you can find me:
Check out my blog
Follow me on Twitter
May 1, 2016 1:59 PM

Feb 2013
I mostly read my stuff on tablet. The other part are the actual books.

May 1, 2016 4:53 PM

Mar 2015
I mostly read manga on my tablet, though I prefer a physical copy if I have it. I like my tablet because it's easier to carry around and read without lugging around a bunch of manga. So while I like both, the convenience of the tablet usually wins out in the end.
May 1, 2016 6:23 PM

Jul 2015
Preferably books though I use my iPod for any non-print reading of manga I decide to do. Though the small screen and the screen brightness can be annoying and not as crisp pictures as an actual book which is why I read less online unless I have to for series like Holyland.
"Few, but ripe." - C.F. Gauss
May 1, 2016 7:01 PM
Apr 2015
I prefer books since I go to school and it's easier to persuade a teacher to let you read a book over reading on a phone.
May 26, 2016 9:12 AM

Mar 2016
On my laptop. Books are ideal but I can't buy all I want, and availability in libraries is a disappointment.
yangires > yanderes > tsunderes > other deres
May 26, 2016 2:58 PM

Jan 2010
yea physical copies are the best way but obviously not all mangas are licensed and it's costly af (broke ass college student) so mostly on my note, since it has a huge screen for a phone, and w/ mangarock, it's even better
May 25, 2017 10:44 PM

Jun 2016
I really prefer to buy manga, but for things I can't reasonably purchase (series like Red River which are starting to go out of print) I read scans on my tablet.
May 26, 2017 10:23 AM

Jul 2013
I use tablets since they're easier to screenshot.

I prefer holding the actual book in my hand but I'm kinda broke
May 27, 2017 5:34 AM

Jun 2016
Computer. Currently in my country, they are only selling the most popular manga like AoT, Boku no hero Academia, One Piece, Bleach, etc. (Luckily Noragami too.) So I can't really buy any of the manga that I like or are in my reading list. So I have to read manga online on my computer.
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
May 28, 2017 2:38 PM

Mar 2017
I am never tired of answering this kind of thread and post the same picture over and over again, haha

This is my favourite quote after all.
It's time to play the Game folks!
Jun 11, 2017 1:29 PM
May 2009
Well they don't sell manga in my country and even if they did I couldn't buy them thanks to a very low purchasing power.

I used to read on my desktop and then my laptop, but when I got my LG G pad 8.3, I could finally read all the titles that I wanted since it was much more confortable.
Jun 11, 2017 2:29 PM

Jul 2009
Actual books.

Not just like to read manga, i also like to collect manga so physical is the way for me.
Jun 12, 2017 5:04 AM
Oct 2016
I still buy physical copies since I'm so used to them, and they've lead to some cool social interactions. I've recently tried to go digital, but I think that reading them digitally feels way different, I personally think that it's a worse experience, but to each his own.

More topics from this board

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

14 by Eziprez »»
2 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

380 by Kkulpanda »»
3 hours ago

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

9 by Shirayukin »»
Yesterday, 6:55 PM

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

22 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 3:20 PM

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

5 by nishant0 »»
Yesterday, 1:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.