Forum Settings
Forums

If somebody wanted to get into older anime what anime would you reccomend them to start off with and why?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 14, 2016 1:07 PM

Feb 2013
Pullman said:
romagia said:
This might be a tad off topic, but i've been looking up the history of MAL because of this post, and the oldest record of the site is from 2003, which is a simple page without any listing features
https://web.archive.org/web/20031017013422/http://www.myanimelist.net/

Following that, there's a period of ~2.5 years when no records of MAL are found (except for a 404 page, which could indicate that the site was dead). After that, the next oldest web archive page is in may 2006 which is really close to the whois for the site which shows a 2006-04-01 creation date, and finally starts looking like the MAL we know and love (unlike the 2003 page)

What actually was created in 2004 is Crave Online, which bought MAL in 2008 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CraveOnline ).

So, Monster and Mushishi would somewhat qualify as "old" by this definition, since they appeared in that 2.5 year blackout of the site. Or alternatively, the definition should be expanded to late 2003 anime which would be the oldest "new anime".

I've definitely seen 2004 and 2005 registration dates though when I was browsing threads from 2006/07
yeah `-` and the first web archive page from 2006 shows 228 users

i wonder about what that 2006-04-01 date on the whois actually means..
Apr 14, 2016 1:08 PM
Mar 2011
Impala said:
Waifu_Strangler said:
I would reccomend them Future Boy Conan since people fanboy over Miyazaki anyway and this is easily his best work. The art is still very solid and beautiful and the story is still engaging and full of lovable characters.

I'd do the same. Currently watching it. How could I miss this one?! Also Bebop for action junkies, if you consider it old thou.

DateYutaka said:

none of waitch are old in any way fact

He's being sarcastic. Of all people, you should know better. lel

no im in fact not being sarcastic ....
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 14, 2016 1:09 PM

Dec 2015
I am in awe when I see things from the 90s AND 2000s mentionned o_o

From the 60s, maybe Dororo ? the manga was decent and it uses japanese folklore but maybe the anime is a bit too childish like Atom (only saw the beginning).

From the 70s: without a doubt, Lupin IIIrd.
If the person likes sci-fi, some Leiji Matsumoto.

From the 80s: no one mentionned Space Adventure Cobra O_o ?
Depending on the permeability of the "guinea pig" to things like war and political background, Kidô Senshi Gundam (from 79 but since I would show probably the movies). Then 0080.
Gunbuster. Perfect, it varies in genres through the OAVs, is short but well developed,
Venus Wars: a bit empty but the blockbuster style and magnificent drawings from Yasuhiko should make up for it.
Kimagure Orange Road: I know 15-20 years old people are saying "it is ugly/not pretty" because of its age. When I ask how it is ugly, the answer is "the characters are not well drawn, THEY are the ugly things". But I still can't understand it so I would show it as an entertaining school romcom shônen.
Akira: because of... everyone knows. Despite how shortened it is. (still waiting for a new animation)
Macross. the series at least. But I think the movie would be largely better received (and I love it).
Nausicaa! Because it is my favourite Ghibli (never could force me to like Mononoke)
For people who could stand an episodic series about a young girl getting a magical power: the magical girl who uses a ribbon to transform her appearance into anyone else.
Dragon Ball: despite the horrible fillers, it is almost as hilarious as the manga and has a simple but exciting drawing story.
(Don't remember if the Dr.Slump anime is any funny, sadly)
Patlabor (original OAVs): The everyday life of police officers in a slightly futuristic Japan with various kind of stories is something who could be easy to see for anyone. The films are great too but are from the 90s, I think.
There are also a lot of nice things from the OAVs era in the 80s. (is Bubblegum an 80s series?)

I don"t remember enough the animated Urusei Yatsura and Maison Ikkoku, but they might be good.

So much manga adaptations -_- Sorry, I wanted to privilege original show/movies but it's a failure.
I would like to say Mazinger but I can't find it purely entertaining myself, if not for the fact it was important in the building of jap. animation.
Rei_IIIApr 14, 2016 1:33 PM
Apr 14, 2016 1:11 PM

Nov 2011
DateYutaka said:
Impala said:

I'd do the same. Currently watching it. How could I miss this one?! Also Bebop for action junkies, if you consider it old thou.

He's being sarcastic. Of all people, you should know better. lel

no im in fact not being sarcastic ....

He meant Romagia was being sarcastic about his choice of retro anime.
Apr 14, 2016 1:11 PM
Mar 2011
zombie_pegasus said:
romagia said:
Death Note, Code Geass, Clannad, Monster, and the original Mushishi are my favorite retro anime everyone should watch
MAL's definition of "new anime" is "anime from after MAL started in 2004" so none of these would count as "old anime".

My favourite old anime are Full Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Berserk, but obviously not everyone is going to like these. It depends on their taste.

none of witch are old either there all with in my life time i think ot be old thye should be at lest be 10 years older thann you miuinm to be called old
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 14, 2016 1:13 PM

Nov 2011
Rei366 said:
I am in awe when I see things from the 90s AND 2000s mentionned o_o

From the 60s, maybe Dororo ? the manga was decent and it uses japanese folklore but maybe the anime is a bit too childish like Atom (only saw the beginning).

From the 70s: without a doubt, Lupin IIIrd.
If the person likes sci-fi, some Leiji Matsumoto.

From the 80s: no one mentionned Space Adventure Cobra O_o ?
Depending on the permeability of the "guinea pig" to things like war and political background, Kidô Senshi Gundam (from 79 but since I would show probably the movies).
Venus Wars: a bit empty but the blockbuster style and magnificent drawings from Yasuhiko should make up for it.
Kimagure Orange Road: I know 15-20 years old people are saying "it is ugly/not pretty" because of its age. When I ask how it is ugly, the answer is "the characters are not well drawn, THEY are the ugly things". But I still can't understand it so I would show it as an entertaining school romcom shônen.
Akira: because of... everyone knows. Despite how shortened it is. (still waiting for a new animation)

Is Dororo fully subbed yet? I know it's been licensed and will be the first 60s anime to be fully subbed.
Apr 14, 2016 1:16 PM

Oct 2012
Gunbuster is also great. Didn't see it mentioned yet.
Apr 14, 2016 1:37 PM

Dec 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:
Is Dororo fully subbed yet? I know it's been licensed and will be the first 60s anime to be fully subbed.

No idea, I'm french so I don't follow the american market. (I actually found some episodes accidentally last year while searching for some other series and decided to download them just in case)
Apr 14, 2016 1:44 PM

Aug 2015
Paul said:
Great Teacher Onizuka. Because it's great like the name suggests.
This guy knows whats up OP. Everyone needs some Onizuka love in their life.
Apr 14, 2016 1:52 PM

Nov 2011
Salva252 said:
Paul said:
Great Teacher Onizuka. Because it's great like the name suggests.

I'd assume everyone has already seen it :/
Apr 14, 2016 1:56 PM

Feb 2015
Probably have to go with Trigun. Or Dragon Ball (Z) if they wanted a long running series.
Apr 14, 2016 1:59 PM

Jan 2016
Well, I started my first official viewing of old anime with Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I've seen a few since then. (Now, I'm on an old anime viewing spree)...

So, I'll say that I'll recommend NGE.
Apr 14, 2016 2:04 PM

Oct 2014
DateYutaka said:
zombie_pegasus said:
MAL's definition of "new anime" is "anime from after MAL started in 2004" so none of these would count as "old anime".

My favourite old anime are Full Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Berserk, but obviously not everyone is going to like these. It depends on their taste.

none of witch are old either there all with in my life time i think ot be old thye should be at lest be 10 years older thann you miuinm to be called old
Since when is that the definition? Berserk aired in my birth year but it's still an old anime. Utena even aired an episode on my exact birthday and it is an old anime. I haven't seen many anime from before I was born.
Apr 14, 2016 2:18 PM

Nov 2011
zombie_pegasus said:
DateYutaka said:

Since when is that the definition? Berserk aired in my birth year but it's still an old anime. Utena even aired an episode on my exact birthday and it is an old anime. I haven't seen many anime from before I was born.

I don't really consider those old but I don't consider them new either.
Apr 14, 2016 2:34 PM

Aug 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:
Salva252 said:

I'd assume everyone has already seen it :/
They better have seen it. Great Teacher Onizuka is a must watch for any anime fan out there. Those haven't seen it are missing out for sure.
Apr 14, 2016 2:35 PM

Oct 2014
With the definition of "at least ten years older than yourself" the only one that I actually enjoyed was Ringing Bell (1978). It's pretty obscure.
Apr 14, 2016 2:38 PM

Nov 2011
zombie_pegasus said:
With the definition of "at least ten years older than yourself" the only one that I actually enjoyed was Ringing Bell (1978). It's pretty obscure.

I wouldn't say it's particularly obscure. It's fairly infamous and sort of known as a Japanese Watership down. Their were plenty of better anime at the time though so it's not one I'd reccomend.
Apr 15, 2016 2:45 AM

May 2015
NGE and Cowboy Bebop are accessible, very Western-friendly shows that look good but still have high production values. I'll star there.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Apr 16, 2016 3:12 PM

Oct 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:
I should've expected when I said older anime people would mainly stick to the 90s though I was thinking 70s, and 80s when I made this.

Well then, let me try my hand at it(sorry if there mostly mecha):For 70's I would suggest Zambot 3. While it's a Super Robot anime, it's actually more of a deconstruction of a Super Robot series, not to mention one of "Kill 'em All" Tomino's work.

For 80's: There's 2 I would like to suggest SPT Layzner and Aura Battler Dunbine. SPT Layzner is a Real Robot series that takes place in the "future" of "1996" in which the Cold War is still going on and mankind is just starting to settle on Mars, when an "alien"(it's in quotes because the aliens look no different from us) plot to make mankind destroy each other is revealed by a young man from said planet(who's half human) to a the survivors of an attack by said aliens on a school run by the UN.

While Aura Battler Dunbine starts off with Japanese BMX racer Shou Zama being transported to the world of Byston Wells which is populated with medieval fantasy and giant robots(made from the body parts of giant insectoid creatures). Shou at first works for the lord of the kingdom that brought him there but ending up joining a rebellion against him. Has an English dub that came out in the early 2000's.(also another one of "Kill 'em All" Tomino's work)

Like I said sorry about it being mecha, but old school mecha tends to be better than a lot of newer mecha(not that I think newer mecha's bad, just lacking something. I'll still watch it though) I'll post more later.
I like what I like and I'm not that picky, and I'm immune to spoilers
Apr 16, 2016 3:24 PM

Nov 2011
clampfan72485 said:
Waifu_Strangler said:
I should've expected when I said older anime people would mainly stick to the 90s though I was thinking 70s, and 80s when I made this.

Well then, let me try my hand at it(sorry if there mostly mecha):For 70's I would suggest Zambot 3. While it's a Super Robot anime, it's actually more of a deconstruction of a Super Robot series, not to mention one of "Kill 'em All" Tomino's work.

For 80's: There's 2 I would like to suggest SPT Layzner and Aura Battler Dunbine. SPT Layzner is a Real Robot series that takes place in the "future" of "1996" in which the Cold War is still going on and mankind is just starting to settle on Mars, when an "alien"(it's in quotes because the aliens look no different from us) plot to make mankind destroy each other is revealed by a young man from said planet(who's half human) to a the survivors of an attack by said aliens on a school run by the UN.

While Aura Battler Dunbine starts off with Japanese BMX racer Shou Zama being transported to the world of Byston Wells which is populated with medieval fantasy and giant robots(made from the body parts of giant insectoid creatures). Shou at first works for the lord of the kingdom that brought him there but ending up joining a rebellion against him. Has an English dub that came out in the early 2000's.(also another one of "Kill 'em All" Tomino's work)

Like I said sorry about it being mecha, but old school mecha tends to be better than a lot of newer mecha(not that I think newer mecha's bad, just lacking something. I'll still watch it though) I'll post more later.

Zambot 3 was badass but I haven't gotten to the other two. Surprised you didn't go with the more well known choices though like Macross and Votoms.
Apr 16, 2016 3:33 PM
Jul 2018
Probably Gundam: The 08th MS Team. That anime has something for everyone. Without knowing the person's specific taste, it sounds like a pretty safe bet.
Apr 16, 2016 3:37 PM

Oct 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:
clampfan72485 said:

Zambot 3 was badass but I haven't gotten to the other two. Surprised you didn't go with the more well known choices though like Macross and Votoms.

Uhh, I haven't really seen VOTOMS yet, but love Macross(granted my only experience with Macross so far has been Robotech and Macross Plus) but being a huge mecha fan I will watch all of them soon enough. As for a non-mecha suggestion there's always Rose of Versailles which is pretty good.
Apr 16, 2016 3:40 PM

Sep 2015
I would recommend "not watching old anime," it's a seriously undererated work that ran from the beginning of anime up until the mid-00s. A personal favorite of mine.

Apr 16, 2016 3:47 PM

Nov 2011
clampfan72485 said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

Uhh, I haven't really seen VOTOMS yet, but love Macross(granted my only experience with Macross so far has been Robotech and Macross Plus) but being a huge mecha fan I will watch all of them soon enough. As for a non-mecha suggestion there's always Rose of Versailles which is pretty good.

Votoms is really popular among oldschool fans. I haven't finished it but I enjoyed what I have seen a lot. As for Macross I really like the Do you remember love film. Also if you haven't seen it Xabungle is excellent if you want mecha with humor.

Lisbon said:
I would recommend "not watching old anime," it's a seriously undererated work that ran from the beginning of anime up until the mid-00s. A personal favorite of mine.
You have shit tastes though so I don't trust your judgement.
Apr 16, 2016 3:50 PM

Sep 2015
Lisbon said:
You have shit tastes though so I don't trust your judgement.

A-HEM

My tastes are so shit that they transcend shittiness and go straight to divinity and glory, thank you very much

I am the Tommy Wiseau of anime tastes

Apr 16, 2016 3:54 PM

Oct 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:
Votoms is really popular among oldschool fans. I haven't finished it but I enjoyed what I have seen a lot. As for Macross I really like the Do you remember love film. Also if you haven't seen it Xabungle is excellent if you want mecha with humor.

I plan on watching Xabungle after I'm finish SPT Layzner(there on the same YouTube channel) There's also Metal Armor Dragonar(needs a better sub though) and Godmars(which would've been Gladiator Voltron if Vehicle Voltron had better ratings) and another non-mecha suggestion would be Please Save My Earth and Project A-Ko
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which real life underdog story would you like to see getting an anime adaptation the most?

Lincompoop - 36 minutes ago

2 by Morningstar991 »»
7 minutes ago

» Most Disappointing "Good" Shows

Treatise - Yesterday

38 by ryzxgum »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you think secondary rival is more interesting than main rival?

m_alhafidz - 10 hours ago

8 by Fringilla_Vigo »»
7 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

1135 by Mr_Duke_ »»
8 minutes ago

» Is anime too mainstream? ( 1 2 )

SimplyBrazen - Sep 18

75 by TheeAnimeGod »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.