Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (19) « First ... « 12 13 [14] 15 16 » ... Last »
Apr 10, 2016 7:25 AM
Feb 2015
yukiat said:
DrBlock42 said:

I never sad I hated the first epsiode and I'm pretty sure most of the people disgussing stuff like how this "virus" (it's still not a virus...) could work or what's excactly up with the bridge, think the same way. Half of the fun of watching a show is disgussing it with friends or the community. That's what IS the anime-community (at least to me): Talking too detailed about shit no one normal cares about.

If the only discussion we had was everyone spamming "HYPE HYPE IT'S SAVING ANIME EVEN IF THERE ARE FLAWS BUT TALKING ABOUT THEM MAKES ME A HATER SO I SHUT MY MOUTH", it'd be fucking boring.

I'm just somewhat dissappointed that they haven't thought the first epsiode out enough. That's what makes a good show greate ot an okay show good. They details are important and I feel like they ignored a lot of them in the poduction of Kabaneri.

yes, this. couldn't agree with you more. sadly my circle of friends prefer watching korean dramas so I have no one to discuss these details with so here I am :P

I know the struggle :)
Apr 10, 2016 7:43 AM

Nov 2010
bigbusiness said:
I freaking loved it.

One of the ways in which I felt AoT fell short of its potential is in its fear factor. For a series where Titans should feel nearly impossible to defeat, the anime and manga really seemed to drift into more shounen territory, with ridiculous powers, friendship, willpower, etc trumping what really should be impossible odds. As a result, after a certain point I never really had the same "oh wow everyone's screwed" feeling that the 1st cours of Attack on Titan had established.

KnK looks to be going considerably darker than AoT ever did, thanks in large part to the darker & gorier animation style. I also think the main character here has serious potential to be a better lead than Eren, and although we haven't seen much of the supporting cast, the general writing here seems much more seinen than shounen, which is fantastic.

If Wit can keep it up, I think Knk will shape up to be AoT's bigger, badder, gorier older brother.

I feel quite the opposite. The moment a loli cut the head of a zombie with ease, and yet trained soldiers with guns designed to combat zombies were falling like flies, the anime lost all the sense of danger it had.
Apr 10, 2016 7:44 AM

Jul 2012
shanimebib said:
I think the MCs are likable so far so it's still watchable.

That makes me hopefully I will like this.

"There are three things you can never get back: The word after it's said, the moment after it's missed, and the time after it's gone."
-Koe no Katachi

Apr 10, 2016 8:05 AM

Dec 2015
Loving the steampunk style and zombies XD Looking forward to this show!
Apr 10, 2016 8:27 AM

Feb 2014
yukiat said:

but I cannot wrap my head around why they lowered the bridge for trains to pass through without even checking if there are zombies clinging on to the exterior of the train. Point further reinforced with the 2nd train.

1) Bad infrastructure
2) The trains bring in "supplies"
3) If you were secluding yourself from the outside world, the only reason you would bring in ANYTHING from the outside world, except for important people from other secluded areas, is if you need what they bring in in order to eat.

Basically, they regularly get supplies that are vital to making food, one way or another. Therefore, when a train is on time and on schedule and does the handshape (blows the whistle), they aren't suspicious.

As for why the train line goes directly into the city, well, that's because they're stupid.
Apr 10, 2016 8:32 AM

Oct 2014
The plot is really fragile. A single fuck up can turn this from a masterpiece to a trainwreck. Gonna keep it up to see how they will deliver
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.

But does the heart have the right perspective?
Apr 10, 2016 8:42 AM

Oct 2014
Farxin said:
Dokia said:

He did that to stop his circulation from reaching his head which stopped the virus.

That's not really how you stop a virus, but I made up a theory that kinda explains how it could work.

Noticed how the veins and hearts of Kabane have that orange glow? My bet is, that's the virus, it propably cannot survive outside of blood for a long time. The body of an infected person turns purple because of the virus going out of the veins ad dying out. That would explain why Kabane follow blood. The second part is, the virus is propably vulnerable to human's immune system, so it has a limited amout of time to get to the brain and "turn it off". This and its inability to survive outside of blood mean that strangling yourself is a valid way of not letting the virus get to the brain.

The theory is not perfect, but... makes at least some sense I guess.

I was gonna say that there's no reason that in a world were when you become a zombie you get a free steel coated heart viruses should work the same as in our world (or at least that virus), but I like your explanation.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.

Apr 10, 2016 9:02 AM

Jan 2014
Zalmox1s said:
I feel quite the opposite. The moment a loli cut the head of a zombie with ease, and yet trained soldiers with guns designed to combat zombies were falling like flies, the anime lost all the sense of danger it had.

That was not a combat situation, it was a duel. I think Mumei was only able to cut off its head that easily, because it was just her and one kabane, and she had ample time to get ready. In a chaotic swarming situation, soldiers won't be able to go for heads like that, not even with larger blades.

KoreaWS said:
Farxin said:

That's not really how you stop a virus, but I made up a theory that kinda explains how it could work.

Noticed how the veins and hearts of Kabane have that orange glow? My bet is, that's the virus, it propably cannot survive outside of blood for a long time. The body of an infected person turns purple because of the virus going out of the veins ad dying out. That would explain why Kabane follow blood. The second part is, the virus is propably vulnerable to human's immune system, so it has a limited amout of time to get to the brain and "turn it off". This and its inability to survive outside of blood mean that strangling yourself is a valid way of not letting the virus get to the brain.

The theory is not perfect, but... makes at least some sense I guess.

I was gonna say that there's no reason that in a world were when you become a zombie you get a free steel coated heart viruses should work the same as in our world (or at least that virus), but I like your explanation.

Are we sure that the kabane-cage is actually made of steel (or iron), and not something similar to "Metapod uses harden"?

Regarding the cirus theories, I'll just quote myself:

Laionidas said:
My understanding is that he cauterised the wound with a glowing ember and isolated the part of his body that was truly infected (his left arm). He then suffocated himself to not allow what comparatively little amount had allready passed his contraption to dissipate safely without giving it a chance to reach his brain. This might actually not be a virus, but something else that works similar to a necrotic venom as injected by some snakes.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Apr 10, 2016 9:06 AM

Apr 2015
So basically a zombie AOT+Snowpiercer?

Not caring at all about hype and backlash and I will not care about it till the end. The first episode was very good although if it goes bad it will really fall through the ground as it's just overwhelmingly ambitious. They need to be inch perfect

Visuals were stunning as promised, 80s anime vibe, looked very good
Apr 10, 2016 9:19 AM

Apr 2011
Very good episode the plot was excellent and everything in between. Great job by Wit.
Apr 10, 2016 10:47 AM

Mar 2015
I'm hyped. Definitely aot vibes, obviously, but I feel like the characters are at least a little more interesting... Loving the art style, gives me 90s vibes especially in the girls' faces. MC's character design and personality are lovely, plus I have a weakness for steampunk so this is all great. I hope they keep up with the action and thriller that happened this episode.
Also EGOIST <3<3<3<3

Apr 10, 2016 12:12 PM

Apr 2013
he just took out the poison that was killing him!!!!!?? is he immune now?? or is this is second time, or i dont know man, all the spring animes are only good in the last 5 seconds, i did not see any of this coming.
Apr 10, 2016 12:36 PM

Apr 2015
damn i love the artstyle of this show

but everything else is generic horror? not like that's a 100% bad thing but yea
Apr 10, 2016 12:44 PM

Nov 2015
Me quedaré viendo la serie, se ve muy bien.

Really good first episode. The first half was used to give us the basics, situation, fears, taboos, etc.
The second half was based on the destruction of the secure are. It managed the tension nicely.
I'm not surprised given the staff in charge.
The art style is original and gives a something extra. It looks like art from the 90s but with today's animation.

Now, it was hard not to think in Shingeki no Kyoujin. From the beginning with the fight, the invasion of the Corpses to the secure zone, destroying the walls, the scenes of the Corpses eating civilians, and even the scene when the MC is apparently sentenced to death by being bitten by one (like the time Eren was eaten).
Heavily inspired in Snk, but that's not a bad thing.

Looking forward to more episodes =)

PD: I thought the MC was about to suicide with that weird machine xD
How is that he know has a white thread of hair???

I hope they explain more how he saved himself and how he was so prepared to that event.
Apr 10, 2016 1:28 PM
Jan 2014
Laionidas said:

Are we sure that the kabane-cage is actually made of steel (or iron), and not something similar to "Metapod uses harden"?

Regarding the cirus theories, I'll just quote myself:

Laionidas said:
My understanding is that he cauterised the wound with a glowing ember and isolated the part of his body that was truly infected (his left arm). He then suffocated himself to not allow what comparatively little amount had allready passed his contraption to dissipate safely without giving it a chance to reach his brain. This might actually not be a virus, but something else that works similar to a necrotic venom as injected by some snakes.

If it's not a virus, either we've been lied to or MC is not that smart. I'd say it's some kind of venom too, but unless anime confirms it, we should stick to the virus theory.
Apr 10, 2016 1:35 PM

Jan 2014
Farxin said:
If it's not a virus, either we've been lied to or MC is not that smart. I'd say it's some kind of venom too, but unless anime confirms it, we should stick to the virus theory.

Do they actually say 'virus' in the original Japanese version? Because I only hear the MC state that it's 'not a curse' (no,.. really?).

In general though, I think we're adhering to strongly to real world science. It might even be a virus, acting like it were a venom. That would be absolute bullshit ofcourse, but so is an incubation period of seconds resulting in physical mutation of large portions of the body, and rapid fire steam guns (seriously, how are you going to store presurised steam in copper or brass backpack cylinders, without burning your back?).
- Mishima Hitomi
Apr 10, 2016 2:05 PM

Apr 2009
I legit sat there like "GUYS COME ON, IT'S DARK! Don't lower that bridge don't do-.. he's not going to pull it up on time is he?..Welp. RIP everyone."

I saw it coming though (or rather I didn't?) the moment I didn't see the train.
Did think it was pretty wtf when they lowered the bridge and had the train stop during the day but not at night. x'D
It seems like protocol but they just ignored it.

I honestly shrug it off to the fuck up of every horror movie in this case anime.
It happened because we needed a way to kill everyone! >:v

It's not something I have a major issue with. I definitely like the main characters so far. It has a really nice 90s vibe too and hair styles. And the girl with the short kimono reminds me of a cat with the way she moves and that bell.~

Looking forward to more, it shows quite a good amount of promise. ; u ;
Click it! :D
Apr 10, 2016 2:18 PM

Oct 2013
Laionidas said:
Farxin said:

Do they actually say 'virus' in the original Japanese version? Because I only hear the MC state that it's 'not a curse' (no,.. really?).

In general though, I think we're adhering to strongly to real world science. It might even be a virus, acting like it were a venom. That would be absolute bullshit ofcourse, but so is an incubation period of seconds resulting in physical mutation of large portions of the body, and rapid fire steam guns (seriously, how are you going to store presurised steam in copper or brass backpack cylinders, without burning your back?).

Lol someone became a fanboy of this series. Every time I take a look at this thread I'm seeing this avatar with captaincrunch on it. Lol
Apr 10, 2016 3:05 PM

Oct 2015
I really liked it. Obviously it shares a lot of similarities with Attack on Titan but I don't think that it's a "ripoff" or anything, in fact anyone who does say that it's a ripoff is just trying to find things to complain about.

Animation style was very "90's" which was refreshing. Mumei is my new reason to live.
Apr 10, 2016 3:22 PM

Jan 2014
keragamming said:
Lol someone became a fanboy of this series. Every time I take a look at this thread I'm seeing this avatar with captaincrunch on it. Lol

Oh FFS,.. I wasn't passing any judgment on the series here, neither negative nor positive.

I was just suggesting not treating this show as an episode of Mythbusters. Are you the type of person to complain that the Teletubbies can't have a TV screen on their tummy because their anatomy doesn't allow for it?

And yes, I do follow up on my posts on fora, because otherwise, what's the point? By the way, this has become a lot easier on MAL, now that we actually get notifications of quotes. Also, thank you for being so enamoured by 'Cpt. Crunch'. I drew him.
- Mishima Hitomi
Apr 10, 2016 3:31 PM

Oct 2013
Laionidas said:
keragamming said:

Oh FFS,.. I wasn't passing any judgment on the series here, neither negative nor positive.

I was just suggesting not treating this show as an episode of Mythbusters. Are you the type of person to complain that the Teletubbies can't have a TV screen on their tummy because their anatomy doesn't allow for it?

And yes, I do follow up on my posts on fora, because otherwise, what's the point? By the way, this has become a lot easier on MAL, now that we actually get notifications of quotes. Also, thank you for being so enamoured by 'Cpt. Crunch'. I drew him.

I'm kinda confuse here, I didn't mean it in a bad way. You've drawn that? It looks impressive.
Apr 10, 2016 4:11 PM

Mar 2014
I'm not exactly sure how the MC un-infected himself, or how the bridge was even allowed to be lowered. However, there's a decent chance the destruction still would have been the same even if the bridge hadn't been lowered.

He's also gonna have to hide that he was even bitten or they'll instantly just kill the him.
Apr 10, 2016 4:36 PM

Jan 2012
The later train was on time and on schedule. Because the conductor's hand remained on the gas.

They inspected the earlier train because it was too early. Something was amiss. Turns out it was because they bypassed an earlier fort because it had fallen.

Do people even pay attention when they watch things?

Additionally, I spent the beginning of AOT thinking I wanted to strangle the MC. This one isn't just loudly passionate, he's intelligent and inventive. Studying the disease, inventing weapons, etc. The girl is also playful and competent, not just boring with no personality.

The MC in this is looking for a cure whereas the other wanted to just kill them.

Not every post-apocalyptic thing is based on AOT.

The animation was superb and I was getting a real "classic anime" vibe from it. I think it will be good.
Apr 10, 2016 4:37 PM
Feb 2016
DrBlock42 said:
heiqi1hu said:

Me too. And the female leads are too perfect for me. Like shoujo manga female leads 😂

Yeah. She's too overpowered. If cutting of the head with a knife-sized blade is enough, why do they even bother with guns!
They're throwing away continuity and LOGIC for badassery and fapping-material...
If you try, it's possible to get both under one hat - but most people don't care, so why bother...

She has legit superpowers man. Why do you think she skipped the check in the beginning of the episode and everyone was like "they're not going to be inspected" ? Why do you think she's literally glowing in the opening?

Hell in the first place why do you think she can jump over roofs and cut steroid zombie heads like a ninja?

And why do you think the anime is called Kabaneri

AnimeAdamOP said:
I'm not exactly sure how the MC un-infected himself, or how the bridge was even allowed to be lowered. However, there's a decent chance the destruction still would have been the same even if the bridge hadn't been lowered.

He's also gonna have to hide that he was even bitten or they'll instantly just kill the him.

The PV shows him getting shot in the "heart", of course that won't kill him for obvious reasons.
Apr 10, 2016 4:39 PM

Jan 2012
It is possible the virus doesn't last very long and only has a short time to infect the host via the brain. By cutting off the circulation to the brain, this fictional virus might die off before it can overtake the host.

Obviously fictional but if we believe in zombie viruses, we're already in the realm of fiction.
Apr 10, 2016 4:58 PM
Feb 2016
EchoFlame said:
It is possible the virus doesn't last very long and only has a short time to infect the host via the brain. By cutting off the circulation to the brain, this fictional virus might die off before it can overtake the host.

Obviously fictional but if we believe in zombie viruses, we're already in the realm of fiction.

I assumed it was like in Parasyte, the parasytes had a few seconds to reach the brain and take control over the host, Shinichi "trapped" the parasyte in his arm so it only took control over the arm. Migi

Here Ikoma says that the virus goes through the carotid arthery so when he strangles himself he cuts that.

Of course in reality he would've died by choking himself with that metal thing but yeah this is fiction.
Apr 10, 2016 5:16 PM
Jan 2016
E96825 said:
MysteriousBanana said:
Of course, Ikoma is partially guilty of that too. Despite emotions running high the bushi only shot when the suspect was running - they didn't actually shoot him while he was curled up on the floor, so they were actually still showing some degree of self-restraint. Jumping in like that not only failed to defuse the situation, it also lead to the guy running again, at which point the bushi did not hesitate to shoot.
While I do agree with most of what you said.

Have you watched the part where they surrounded the guy? How can you say it was Ikoma's fault he got killed?

I mean you do realize they surrounded him screaming "Kill him! Kill him!" with crazy look on their faces right? It's been made pretty obvious that people are scared shitless. The main thing about this(and it was made very clear) is that these people only care about themselves, they will kill and abandon anyone in order to survive. The first scene is a guy saving another from zombies and getting paid with everyone calling him a coward and telling him to kill himself.

They were absolutely going to kill him.
Like I said, they were freaking out, but when they actually had him surrounded they all hesitated. Maybe that was just to buy Ikoma time to shout at them, take five seconds to look indignant, then stomp over to piss them off even more by calling them cowards to their faces and telling them how to do their jobs, but that's still five panicking guys with enough sense to hear him out - even if they did facestomp him afterwards.

A less angsty MC would have done something stupid to defuse the situation (which would have lead to him getting beat up and thrown in jail as well, so it would have worked plot-wise), but that wouldn't fit his character. A more shrewd character would have reminded them they were in Lord Yomokawa's presense and that their panic is shaming him in front of his guests (leverage their pride against their fear, also note that Yomokawa straight up says "he might be a kabane too, throw him in prison" and instead of freaking out again the guards do exactly as ordered), but again that wouldn't fit his anti-authoritarian character.

Granted hindsight is 20/20, but I'd argue anyone with any amount of life experience should realize that when dealing with emotional people, pissing them off (or pissing them off and then trying to follow up with a logical argument) doesn't work.

HazukiSama said:
I saw it coming though (or rather I didn't?) the moment I didn't see the train.
Did think it was pretty wtf when they lowered the bridge and had the train stop during the day but not at night. x'D
It seems like protocol but they just ignored it.
Last few pages has a lot of arguments over this case, but it's not that stopping the train is part of the protocol. The protocol is that they can't let trains in unless the inspection and maintenance teams are ready in the quarantine area. The first train had to wait because it was arriving at an unscheduled time, so nobody was at the quarantine zone, but the second train didn't have to wait because the quarantine zone would have been staffed since it was scheduled.

They didn't lower the bridge just because it was on schedule either, the scene deliberately showed us the kabane accidentally sounding the train's horn, there's a reason for that and it's likely the horn is supposed to be a signal that everything is normal on their side.
Apr 10, 2016 5:25 PM
Jul 2011
MC (Ikoma?) voice is pretty deep, almost sounds like a mismatch.
Animation is insane.
Don't care if it gives off AoT vibes or not, it'll make due until the actual AoTS2 airs.
I'm all on board with this series.
Gen2K_Apr 10, 2016 5:41 PM
Apr 10, 2016 5:26 PM

Oct 2015
Clearly any work of fiction with a premise involving monsters attacking humanity is a ripoff of AoT.
Neon Genesis Evangelion is an AoT ripoff.
Apr 10, 2016 6:10 PM

Feb 2014
Lobinde said:
Clearly any work of fiction with a premise involving monsters attacking humanity is a ripoff of AoT.
this is because people don't read enough
Apr 10, 2016 6:35 PM

Oct 2014
Laionidas said:

Goddammit when he mentioned the caged heart I inmediately associated it with steel. Never watch anime whiler ironing clothes or doing other things, you fuck up and miss details...

Apr 10, 2016 6:40 PM
Nov 2011
that was...uh....

lol.

extremely forced first episode. They mirrored Code Geass' ep 1, which is not necessarily a terrible thing, since Code Geass is godly, but they did it so fucking poorly

they made people overreact SO much just so that the MC could stand out more; specifically the naked guy getting killed scene. Literally no reason for him to be accused of being a zombie, but hey, why not just randomly freak out so MC can be an hero.

While the MC's character is pretty likeable in a vacuum, everything about how they introduced him was just done very poorly.

Not a strong start.
Apr 10, 2016 6:46 PM

Apr 2009
Last few pages has a lot of arguments over this case, but it's not that stopping the train is part of the protocol. The protocol is that they can't let trains in unless the inspection and maintenance teams are ready in the quarantine area. The first train had to wait because it was arriving at an unscheduled time, so nobody was at the quarantine zone, but the second train didn't have to wait because the quarantine zone would have been staffed since it was scheduled.

They didn't lower the bridge just because it was on schedule either, the scene deliberately showed us the kabane accidentally sounding the train's horn, there's a reason for that and it's likely the horn is supposed to be a signal that everything is normal on their side.[/quote] That makes a lot more sense, no one would suspect a Kabane setting off the horn, I was kinda hoping it was clever enough to do it on purpose though since one knew to come from the top of the roof and not the front entrance.
Click it! :D
Apr 10, 2016 6:47 PM

Jul 2009
Oh boy here we got again...

I hope this don't turn out into a total SnK with dozens of plotholes and boring characters.

edit:

Xenocrisi said:
shanimebib said:

If you can rationalize the two pictures above you will realize plot wise how bad the first episode was. I will not say more.

I don't see anything wrong with the two pictures above.

Well it looks like I'm not alone in this one, why the fuck they did stop the train during the day and not at night is just beyond me.
Apr 10, 2016 7:04 PM
May 2014
TYxTxYT said:
7/10 for it's plot holes

It's the first episode god damn it. How is there plot holes when the plot isn't even begin yet...
Apr 10, 2016 8:21 PM

Apr 2015
GOTL said:
TYxTxYT said:
7/10 for it's plot holes

It's the first episode god damn it. How is there plot holes when the plot isn't even begin yet...

The train bro...the midnight train.
It's not like they will explain it later, that event is done, due, over.
befriend (v.): To violently attack someone with very dangerous and extremely powerful blasts of magical pink light until your target sees the validity of your viewpoint.
Apr 10, 2016 10:16 PM

Jan 2011
I will say the first episode was pretty good. Decent action and OST. Didn't really care much for the wide-eyed idealist remarks that came out of the MC but they felt pretty natural. It seems to me this may be one of those one the road anime's considering the trains and such. Possibly a mission to clear out the over taken stations or to find out the cause behind all of this? Either way, I've got a pretty good feeling about this. Hoping for a second cour already.
Apr 10, 2016 10:19 PM
Feb 2015
New theory: Msybe the "virus" is something organic that needs O2 to survive:

1. He disinfected the wound to stop further infection.
2. He stopped the blood-circulation in the arm to slow the spread of the infection down.
3. He strangled himself to cut off any air that's keeping the infection alive.
Apr 10, 2016 10:24 PM

Jan 2011
Jonny_Mhl said:
Oh boy here we got again...

I hope this don't turn out into a total SnK with dozens of plotholes and boring characters.

edit:

Xenocrisi said:

I don't see anything wrong with the two pictures above.

Well it looks like I'm not alone in this one, why the fuck they did stop the train during the day and not at night is just beyond me.
The train was arriving on time and everything seemed fine but then they had realized what happened, the train would've stopped because everyone was already dead. I believe it was mention being time unlike the first so the were expecting a smooth ride or something. Then they found out last minute.
Apr 10, 2016 11:09 PM

Jan 2014
I definitely watching this for waiting Snk second season only and for survival tag!
Seriously it can be better if those wall doesn't break at first ep which make it really similar to Snk first ep too not that I'm comparing oh never mind Ima gonna watch this for fun.....

Apr 10, 2016 11:14 PM

May 2013
SnK 2.0?? Hopefully it'll be better than that.

Still not sure how he killed the virus by suffocating himself, hopefully it's explained soon.
Apr 10, 2016 11:29 PM
Jan 2016
Cazzoe said:
SnK 2.0?? Hopefully it'll be better than that.

Still not sure how he killed the virus by suffocating himself, hopefully it's explained soon.
He didn't, following standard shounen hero trope he's fully infected and has the powers of the kabane, but still has his sanity.

I'm betting next episode he will start to fight the kabane, the guards will see him with a glowing heart, shoot him, everyone (Ikoma included) will be shocked he doesn't die, and Mumei will show up to tell everyone Ikoma is under her protection. Lord Yomokawa will intervene to support Mumei (since she's an agent of the shogunate), after which Mumei will reveal she's also a kabane (or rather kabaneri, if the title is any indicator) to Ikoma and notice that while they're technically the same, there's something different about Ikoma's transformation.

Entirely guesswork based on cliches from previous anime and manga, not that I mind, as long as it's presented well enough I'll enjoy it.
Apr 10, 2016 11:54 PM

Mar 2014
Welp, our back-and-forth got moderated, so I'll just summarize my last reply in case you didn't see it:

You're arguing that there's specifically a "trains must come to full stop" safety protocol that was applied to the first train and that the contradiction was that it wasn't applied to the second train.

I'm arguing that there is no such protocol, the first train stopping was a result of the station applying the "trains can only be allowed in when the teams are ready" safety protocol, which they applied equally, without contradiction, to both trains.
Not at all, that was only at the beginning

After that I said it doesn't make sense for them not to have the bridge up when the train arrives
From your reasoning, I can see why you believe there's a plot hole, but let's use an analogy to explain why I don't agree:

Say you're at a chemistry lab, there's an emergency eye wash for anyone who accidentally gets something in their eyes; safety protocol is clearly "if something gets in your eye, use the emergency eye wash"; Student A gets something in their eye, washes it out, while Student B doesn't get anything in their eye and thus doesn't wash their eyes.

You're basically complaining that Student B violated safety protocols because they didn't wash their eyes and that, if people cared about their eyes, everyone should wash their eyes regardless if they have anything in it. The former is simply untrue and the latter does not illustrate any sort of contradiction.
That analogy doesn't make sense
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 11, 2016 12:06 AM
Jan 2016
Comic_Sans said:
Welp, our back-and-forth got moderated, so I'll just summarize my last reply in case you didn't see it:

You're arguing that there's specifically a "trains must come to full stop" safety protocol that was applied to the first train and that the contradiction was that it wasn't applied to the second train.

I'm arguing that there is no such protocol, the first train stopping was a result of the station applying the "trains can only be allowed in when the teams are ready" safety protocol, which they applied equally, without contradiction, to both trains.
Not at all, that was only at the beginning

After that I said it doesn't make sense for them not to have the bridge up when the train arrives
From your reasoning, I can see why you believe there's a plot hole, but let's use an analogy to explain why I don't agree:

Say you're at a chemistry lab, there's an emergency eye wash for anyone who accidentally gets something in their eyes; safety protocol is clearly "if something gets in your eye, use the emergency eye wash"; Student A gets something in their eye, washes it out, while Student B doesn't get anything in their eye and thus doesn't wash their eyes.

You're basically complaining that Student B violated safety protocols because they didn't wash their eyes and that, if people cared about their eyes, everyone should wash their eyes regardless if they have anything in it. The former is simply untrue and the latter does not illustrate any sort of contradiction.
That analogy doesn't make sense
Exactly, it's the same reason why I find your argument that there's a contradiction that doesn't make sense.

One safety protocol, two different situations, two different results due to how the protocol is applied to each situation. Student A washes their eyes, Student B doesn't; Train A has to wait for the bridge, Train B doesn't.

A difference in results is not a contradiction.

Edit: just to clarify, I'm equating "plot hole" with "a contradiction in previously shown events". If by plot hole you just mean that you think security should have been tighter in general then I apologize for banging on about an outdated argument. I couldn't tell when you switched arguments because you never corrected me to say you weren't arguing about contradictions until now.
MysteriousBananaApr 11, 2016 12:24 AM
Apr 11, 2016 12:29 AM

Mar 2014
Exactly, it's the same reason why I find your argument that there's a contradiction that doesn't make sense.

One safety protocol, two different situations, two different results due to how the protocol is applied to each situation. Student A washes their eyes, Student B doesn't; Train A has to wait for the bridge, Train B doesn't.

A difference in results is not a contradiction.

Edit: just to clarify, I'm equating "plot hole" with "a contradiction in previously shown events". If by plot hole you just mean that you think security should have been tighter in general then I apologize for banging on about an outdated argument.
It's a contradiction because they established from the very beginning that humanity is on the brink of extinction and yet their safety measures are shit
I couldn't tell when you switched arguments because you never corrected me
I did though
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 11, 2016 12:30 AM

Dec 2015
Having finally finished this first episode, I can honestly say it has exceeded my expectations, albeit not by much. In order to best describe my thoughts, I will compare it to what I have seen of SnK, because let's be honest, this show is merely a carbon copy of SnK, whether or not its execution is better.

In terms of the story, this first episodeis nothing we have yet to see in the past. Grimdark post-apocalyptic battle for survival with myriads of vain violence trying invoke a sense of dread and shock. Creative, creative indeed. That being said, I do enjoy the industrial revolution/steampunk setting, so that is a plus. We also have that plot hole regarding the trains that has been heavily discussed here so far. It felt so contrived, it was almost funny. Almost

Delving into the characters, I suppose it is a hit-and-miss, but the cast seems to be a bit more well-rounded than what we were given in SnK. Unlike Eren, Ikoma seems to possess an actual head on his shoulders and doesn't feel the need to fret over every minisule that has happened in the most dramatic way possible. I will admit his being able to survive the virus felt slightly contrived, however. We also seem to have a psychotic loli in Mumei. Once again, it felt contrived that she was strong enough to defeat a Kabane effortlessly while everyone else could do nothing but be bitten by them.

Looking at the production, it felt a little messy, as expected of WIT. The overall animation was fairly well-done, and the sheer detail put into the backgrounds really captivated me. It help me enjoy the world all the more. But the character designs... I fail to see how anyone really thought them nice or anything. Someone mentioned the characters giving off a faint glow, which I also noticed and found highly distracting. Seemed similar to subpar CGI of the past. The music, while good on its own, was over-dramatic and not really needed in some scenes, but at this point point, I am not surprised given Araki's past works. But seriously, the music does not need to be that dramatic. It is not making this show any better.

Overall, I will give this episode a 6.5/10, it managed to keep me engaged, despite all of my annoyances with it, which is more than what I thought it would do. Maybe it will get better, but I sense a trainwreck on a greater scale than this episode itself.
Apr 11, 2016 1:18 AM
Jan 2014
Great first episode, shows a lot of promise and i really like the art style. Can't lie I'm looking forward to next week.
Apr 11, 2016 1:36 AM
Jan 2016
Comic_Sans said:
It's a contradiction because they established from the very beginning that humanity is on the brink of extinction and yet their safety measures are shit
Here's the thing: while you're calling it shit, their safety measures didn't actually fail.

If the train showed up without blowing its horn, or if the horn was constantly blowing (because the dead conductor's arm should have been heavy enough to keep the chain pulled down permanently), the guards would have been suspicious and ordered the bridge to stay up. Instead the writer/director came up with this really weird and convoluted way for a kabane to accidentally blow the horn in such a natural way (three or four times in a row, no less) that guards who have been receiving trains for years didn't suspect a thing.

That's not a problem with their safety measures, that's a problem with the directing.

You believe the safety measures could be better. Fine, I agree with that sentiment. I don't agree that makes it a contradiction with the setting though, because it hasn't actually demonstrated itself to easily fail under reasonably imaginable situations.

And I don't believe a kabane accidentally blowing the horn like that and warehouse-sized armored train cars flipping over 100 feet tall walls are reasonable in the slightest.

The safety measures didn't even get a chance to grow into a plot hole, it was snuffed in the crib by bad directing.

Comic_Sans said:
I couldn't tell when you switched arguments because you never corrected me
I did though
You didn't. Your replies never got more informative than "you proved me right" and "you didn't make an argument" (except for when we were trading barbs). At no point did you ever say anything remotely close to "you're arguing something different than what I'm saying".
MysteriousBananaApr 11, 2016 2:00 AM
Apr 11, 2016 2:39 AM

May 2012
WOW, thats way better than what I expected. 5/5 for the 1st episode
Apr 11, 2016 3:02 AM

Jan 2014
keragamming said:
I'm kinda confuse here, I didn't mean it in a bad way. You've drawn that? It looks impressive.

Well 'fanboy' is seldom used as a compliment, but no worries.

In any case, it's is from a comic I originally drew with pencil. I liked it, so I traced it, scanned it, and coloured it, to use as my avatar. If you click on my profile, you can see I even signed it with 'Laionidas' ;-)

Here's are some other ones I did:

The background for the 2nd one was just ripped off Google though, and in general I quite suck at digital drawing (pencil and paper guy).

KoreaWS said:
Laionidas said:

Goddammit when he mentioned the caged heart I inmediately associated it with steel. Never watch anime whiler ironing clothes or doing other things, you fuck up and miss details...

Hahaha,.. well the fact that he used a metal plate as a backstop, and even as a practise target when he had run out of kabane hearts, probably added to the confusion.

Lobinde said:
Neon Genesis Evangelion is an AoT ripoff.

The Walking Dead, especially the Woodburry arc is just another botched Hollywood live action remake of AoT.
- Mishima Hitomi
Pages (19) « First ... « 12 13 [14] 15 16 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2016

790 by wallus81 »»
Apr 24, 1:58 AM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2016

524 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 1, 8:22 PM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2016

367 by FedeMetal »»
Mar 30, 11:21 AM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2016

616 by Garrett_Dark »»
Mar 10, 11:50 AM

Poll: » Koutetsujou no Kabaneri Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2016

393 by Garrett_Dark »»
Mar 10, 10:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.