Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Bungo Stray Dogs
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 7, 2016 1:35 AM

Aug 2014
I personally really didn't like the comedy, it doesn't fit with the more realistic art style. Otherwise, the show looks really nice with great backgrounds, shading and fight animation/choreography. Looking forward to more and hopefully the show tones down the comedy a bit more.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Apr 7, 2016 1:45 AM
Jul 2015
this was really good.
hoping for some gay moments
Apr 7, 2016 2:02 AM

Dec 2014
Pretty good episode, Interesting enough premise.

The characters seem really likable.
I see a lot of people saying they didn't like the comedy but personally I liked it, Dazai's jovial tone is quite funny at times.

The OP and ED are great.

Caught the No Longer Human reference since I watched Aoi Bungaku
Need to look up the others :P

Will look forward to this :)
Apr 7, 2016 2:05 AM
Dec 2015
Jerkhov said:
I feel like this show would be a lot more interesting if I was more familiar with Japanese literature. I imagine if there was an English literature version of this, there would be more amusing stuff for me like Edgar Allen Poe being chuunibyou and Herman Melville always being sea sick. The only author I'm familiar with in this is Osamu Dazai, I didn't finish No Longer Human but from what I've read it was great, so him being obsessed with suicide is funny since he was so emo.

Kind of reminds me of JoJo too, except they're named after authors instead of musicians, and their powers are named after their books instead of songs.

Has potential, even if the token Bones superpower team series of the season.

Yes there are Western Author later
Murphy's Law

"Anything that can go wrong will go wrong"

Apr 7, 2016 2:13 AM

May 2015
NotThisShitAgain said:
Jerkhov said:
I feel like this show would be a lot more interesting if I was more familiar with Japanese literature. I imagine if there was an English literature version of this, there would be more amusing stuff for me like Edgar Allen Poe being chuunibyou and Herman Melville always being sea sick. The only author I'm familiar with in this is Osamu Dazai, I didn't finish No Longer Human but from what I've read it was great, so him being obsessed with suicide is funny since he was so emo.

Kind of reminds me of JoJo too, except they're named after authors instead of musicians, and their powers are named after their books instead of songs.

Has potential, even if the token Bones superpower team series of the season.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 2016 2:19 AM
Dec 2015
zal said:
NotThisShitAgain said:

Murphy's Law

"Anything that can go wrong will go wrong"

Apr 7, 2016 3:10 AM

Mar 2008
Looks like a shounen more than seinen but I enjoyed it regardless.
Apr 7, 2016 3:13 AM

May 2015
Here are my thoughts in order:
What are with the eyes in this show?? Got creeped out by them within the first 2 minutes lol.
Beautiful background colours, loving the contrasts.
Dazai is so grand/elegant/weird. Also, Mamo-chan as seiyuu!!! Such a familiar voice <3
Plot isn't unpredictable so far, called out the plot pretty quickly because Atsushi has orange eyes = tiger. Didn't know he was a white tiger though so that was pretty neat.
"I have no such tastes in men" DAZAI HDU. YOU CRUSHED ALL MY FUJOSHI HOPES IN EP 1 ALREADY. FUCK YOUUUU.
Within 0.5 seconds of Ranpo opening his mouth, I yelled KAMIYA HIROSHI

I am pretty impressed with the drawings. What lovely art. Long limbs, slender faces, detective clothes p0rn. Atsushi for worst haircut though.
The OP is good, and the ending song is absolutely beautiful. Also shipping seems to be back? Lots of bromance everywhere. How Dazai pets Atsushi is the cutest thing!

Definitely right up my alley. Will be looking forward to this every week.

EDIT: Also, the suicide book Dazai was reading is a very famous book in Japan. Copies of this book have apparently been found in Aokigahara (Japan's famous suicide forest at the foot of Mt Fuji), probably used as a reference to commit the act of suicide.
littlefujiApr 7, 2016 3:30 AM

"Everyone wants to carve their scars into someone else; everyone wants to connect with someone else." -- Sonozaki Noriko, Kiznaiver
Apr 7, 2016 3:30 AM

Jan 2009
Wowwwwwwww, that was pretty good - lived up to my hype as well!

Dat VA was amazing and so was the setting. I was thinking Atsushi could somehow summon or something related to that tiger, but didn't correctly guess he would be the tiger himself :D

Looking forward to next week *o*
Apr 7, 2016 3:34 AM
Jun 2015
I personally thought it was wonderful and loved a whole lot of times during the episode. I thought it was very intriguing. My brother and I were debating about it though he didn't like it because he felt that it was too much anime tropes and that he thinks it was joking about suicide. I thought it never joked about suicide just made fun of situations around it with Dazai and that he's based on an author who had issues like that I thought it was staying true to this larger than life form of that character. I can't wait to meet the other characters and loved Dazai, Atsushi, and Doppo a lot actually. I also love the Supernatural powers angle combined with the use of making fictional versions of authors. I can't wait for more.

Still do you guys think that it joked about suicide in a negative way or it was just staying true to the character with who he's based on and just had things with the situation of the character.
Apr 7, 2016 3:56 AM

Jul 2014
I try to jump into everything not knowing anything, and so the humor came as a pleasant surprise. Very interested in in what's to come.
Apr 7, 2016 4:15 AM

Oct 2011
I'm quite surprised by how the first episode was. But in a good way. Over all the characters and animation seem very enjoyable? The OP is amazing as well, I'm definitely continuing this show
Apr 7, 2016 4:41 AM

Oct 2015
I'm not really feeling this one... :/
Apr 7, 2016 4:42 AM

Jul 2015
Not bad i guess, the animation is killer !
Apr 7, 2016 4:56 AM

Jun 2013
The OP and ED and the ost are good and that was funny and amazing this is gonna be epic
Apr 7, 2016 5:28 AM

Jan 2012
I like it so far. The expressions remind me a little of OHSHC sometimes (then again, it's made by the same studio).
Apr 7, 2016 6:23 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The comedy is excellent, really liked that aspect. Gives off a Kekkai Sensen feel.
Apr 7, 2016 6:26 AM

Jul 2015
Sooo much love for this show!
Great OP and ED... Ganrodeo!!

The dinner scene was hilarious, Dazai's looking to be a very fun character lol

and that VA cast.. Wow!

Apr 7, 2016 6:30 AM

Jan 2015
I like Dazai Osamu's character, his ability reminded me of Ningen Shikkaku
Gotta read Ningen Shikkaku or watch Aoi Bungaku
Episode was alright though it started off a bit weak, the 2nd song was good (wait, which one is the ending?)
2.9/5
Apr 7, 2016 7:15 AM

Sep 2014
Eh, tacky comedy mixed with generic characters filling in archetypes. Average stuff for now.
Apr 7, 2016 7:23 AM
真面目に勉強してる

Jul 2014
Really solid first episode. I liked it. For me it was the best first episode of the shows i watched this season so far.

The visuals are really good and the characters are interesting. Whats with their special abilitys. No damage from rain? Im interested to see what they mean with these special abilities.

Only weird thing was the OP at the end of the episode (well thats nothing special for a episode 1). But the ED was shown just 30 seconds later. Not used to this structure of the episode, but well, thats not something to critize.

Overall this anime seems promising.
I have written my own Ecchi short story. It is called Nopan Mahou Shoujo!
You can find the PDF here or read it online on Wattpad or on Archive of Our Own.
Apr 7, 2016 8:04 AM

Nov 2011
By promo, I was expecting something more than I've seen in this episode. A tad boring narration, I found most interesting other anime series this season 2016, perhaps because too hann forced the comic component during the narration. Nothing bad to say instead on drawing and animation, set design, reminds me of the anime series of Kekkai Sensen. Good the OP and ED.
Apr 7, 2016 8:21 AM

Feb 2010
I absolutely love Dazai's character. He definitely serves as comedy relief, and I was scared that it was all he was going to be labeled as but this episode, even though it's just the first, also revealed a more sincere side of him. However...my one unrelated complaint is why is it that when I grow fond of a character he either ends up dying in the end or is suicidal.

Why. Tell me why.

I can definitely see why they would use Dazai's suicidal tendencies as a sort of a joke, although, it doesn't really make sense to make fun of something so morbid. However, if his suicide were taken seriously I feel like certain elements of Dazai's character would be masked through his constant desire to kill himself. And the mood of the show would quickly be brought down, and maybe that's something the show wants to expose but not throughout the entirety of the show which is why there are only some sincere moments. Just my thought on what kind of atmosphere the show is aiming at producing.

Anyways, this was an excellent episode and I absolutely love the characters so far. The characters seem like very interesting people full of mysteries and I love mystery shows that hide secrets about the characters too. While I'm also looking forward to the plot since it seems interesting (not super original, but interesting for sure) and meeting the new characters. Definitely enjoyed this episode and looking forward to the next!
EarlCielApr 7, 2016 9:31 AM
Apr 7, 2016 8:29 AM

May 2009
Good episode. Love the concept. Let's goooo
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Apr 7, 2016 8:56 AM

Sep 2015
Best first episode so far for me this season. Entertaining and pretty to look at too.
Loved the suicidal maniac crushing fujo hopes the most
Apr 7, 2016 9:05 AM

Apr 2013
Definitely one of the best first episodes easily, better than HeroAca and Joker Game (imo). Great balance and well-done shifts from comedic to serious action moments. Love the visuals, artstyle and animation, with great OST. Love the OP and ED too.

The characters are so likable too it seems, they are pretty interesting and quirky and are actually references to real-life Japanese authors. "No Longer Human" hah. Good stuff~ The powers seem cool too. Daizai was pretty badass looking imo lol, and the other members of the agency too look pretty cool.

Oh and the voice acting is spot on, based Miyano Mamoru and Kamiya Hiroshi.
LeFlower-kunApr 7, 2016 9:35 AM
Apr 7, 2016 9:46 AM

Feb 2010
Syonos said:
RyuKlinge said:

Still do you guys think that it joked about suicide in a negative way or it was just staying true to the character with who he's based on and just had things with the situation of the character.

tbh I had the same feeling as your brother ... I didn't know who Dazai was and I've just read his story on wikipedia but anyway even if he tried to kill himself so many times I don't think that this is something to make fun of . I still think that they weren't making fun of suicide in general but adding so much comedy was unnecessary ... I feel like they are using suicidal intentions as a way to describe the character but they are not doing it in the right way imo

In regards to Dazai's suicidal tendencies, in my previous post I sort of attributed the joking to create a lighter mood in the series. This is the MAIN reason I believe they decided to sort of "make a joke" out of his suicidal nature. I will also explain later though, that I don't think they are making him stray too far from his character which is based off the author Dazai Osamu. If the character Dazai tried to kill himself at every attempt it would definitely sort of stop the plot and focus entirely on him. Because suicide is not something light that can just be passed off as being weird, it's someone actually attempting to take their own life.

So I thought, that the most plausible reason the show would do this is to make clear Dazai's intention (motive) of killing himself without taking away too much screen time or especially take away from the plot. That doesn't exactly explain the reason it has to be executed in a joking way though. It's pretty much inexcusable to make fun of something like suicide, but then for someone who has read the book I think I understand why the producers took this approach.

I don't think this counts as spoilers...since I have not read the manga, but I have read the book "No Longer Human" which just reveals info on the author so possibly more insight on Dazai's character. Putting it in spoiler tags just in case though, but I think it's a very possible answer to your questions:

I hope this clears up maybe some reasons why it is handeled in a "jokingly" matter..but these are just my thoughts on it. My suspicions are they don't want to give too much information about Dazai as a character so they are concealing it with his comedy acts and making him "blend in with the cast" aka don't make him stand out too much and fit in. Which is similar to what the real author did as a child to fit in.
Apr 7, 2016 9:58 AM

Oct 2014
Eh, meh... Not a fan the comedy (it's really rather sort of dramatic and amiss) and this just feels like fan-fiction/shit to pander to fujoshi more than anything else, to be honest. That's just my personal opinion.

No expecting much, however I will give this anime and the manga a fair chance and see where it goes.

3/5 for this episode.
Apr 7, 2016 10:01 AM

Jul 2007
ShadowTheRaven said:
So Noragami had a magical love baby with Ranpo Kitan to make BSD. Interesting.

except this has absolutely no similarities to either?
Apr 7, 2016 10:38 AM
May 2015
My fav thing about this series is the cute, qirky bishounen dudes
Apr 7, 2016 10:56 AM

Apr 2014
This was disappointing. Sure the visuals were good but that's not enough to keep me watching this. The light hearted atmosphere and the comedy were really unpleasant and out of place. Heck none of the comedic scenes were even remotely funny.
Apr 7, 2016 11:37 AM

Oct 2015
I wasn't expecting it to have comedic moments and I didn't find them funny, the first episode felt more Shounen and Sienen but I will try more episodes of it.
Apr 7, 2016 11:58 AM

Feb 2014
I pretty much sat through the episode thing with a face like one of the old, angry, wrinkly dudes from LotGH.

This is pretty much what Bikini Warriors would be like if the girls were renamed Virginia Woolf, Sylvia Plath, and Oscar Wilde.

The famous Japanese literary figures are now beautiful otomo-quality bishounen with superpowers and character designs vaguely inspired by their works; they make "I have no such tastes in men." jokes and have 'cute quirks' based on the sobering facts from the authors real lives like their struggles with mental health and suicide. Haha! How quirky!~ How fun!~

Maybe it would have worked if they chose older writers like Jippensha Ikku or Chikamatsu Monzaemon. Sure, it would still be tasteless but Meiji-era tragedy is definitely a little too close for comfort... This kind of comedy isn't completely irredeemable but I really don't think it worked well at all when coupled with the choice of author references. A darker, more self-aware sort of humour would have been better for this glum company.
Apr 7, 2016 12:41 PM

Feb 2014
HAMATORA VIBES EVERYWHERE!

this episode was really good the characterrs are bizaare but still likable and their abilities are really cool.
The animation is really solid and the Op and Ed sound good.
The comedy is a little forced but still good to be not annoying.

Series is on watchlist.
Apr 7, 2016 12:46 PM
Mar 2015
I like the looks of this. Very cool concept with a diverse cast. Different but interesting mix of music (great OP and ED). My only gripes with it are in the humor, mostly: they have a bunch of genuinely funny moments (such as when Danzai is rescued from the river, or when Danzai says he isn't interested in boys in that way), but then its followed up with waaaay to try-hard attempts to be funny. It's basically what made me also dislike FMA:B: the comedy has a great depth, but it became too gimmicky. Bungou Stray Dogs has potential, and I hope it isn't squandered, but my hopes aren't too high if it remains consistent from this episode on. If so, it still won't be bad, though, just not great.
Apr 7, 2016 12:53 PM

Sep 2014
Too much those dumb facial expressions , please .. Really too much. Why that guy tried to suicide if after he saved he behaves normally and continues with his life ?

Not the show that I would wait on the edge of my seat for next ep , but not that bad that I'd forget it's day of airing :d
Apr 7, 2016 1:06 PM
Aug 2014
Something like Darker Than Black.
Apr 7, 2016 1:36 PM
Mar 2016
Equitum said:
I really liked this. Characters are great so far, the powers are interesting, and the music is awesome. Can't wait for more.

I couldn't agree with you more
Apr 7, 2016 1:57 PM
Jul 2018
I went in blind, didn't know what to expect, and left enjoying it quite a bit, so much that it may be one of my favorites shows of the season (so far). I really liked the art and character design, as well as they somewhat different way it was delivering its story. I look forward to watching more.
Apr 7, 2016 2:02 PM
Aug 2015
Know my next cosplay.... DAZAI OSAMU!!!!
Apr 7, 2016 2:04 PM
Apr 2014
As expected another Bones production that looks amazing. A nice choice of VA's, too. And it definitely helps that I have no problem with this kind of comedy(because I have to admit that it takes a bit away from the seriousness).

I'm a bit disappointed that it's only 12 episodes but at least another season is coming lather this year. Anyway. This definitely will be one of the shows of this season I'll be following every week.
Apr 7, 2016 2:16 PM
Jul 2018
ahhhh i liked it A LOT
everyone is so likeable, especially Dazai, and wow THAT ANIMATION
also the ending song is really good and i loved the voices

I'm really looking forward to the next episode
Apr 7, 2016 2:17 PM

Jun 2011
Best Opening of the Season. Can't stop watching/listening to it.
Akiko is waifu of the Season. I really like her design, so hot and elegant.
The humour was okay, I guess since it is very difficult to make me laugh these days, but I laughed.
The music was amazing, especially that opening song. (I swear I'm not even a fan of JP music)
Dat animation has some really high quality.
Still, there was too little in the episode to judge the show.

4/5
Apr 7, 2016 2:50 PM

Feb 2016
First episode was great . The characters look interesting especially Dazai. Im curious about why he is trying to commit suicide. Maybe it was already explained in this episode and i missed it. Furthermore, Dazais special ability seems overpowered but we will see if its the case in the upcoming episodes . The action scenes were amazing and im already in love with the ending song. Yeah i think Bungou Stray Dogs will definitely be one of the better animes this season. Im looking forward to see the next episodes.
Apr 7, 2016 3:06 PM

Dec 2007
Not a big fan of the comedy scenes...
Apr 7, 2016 5:21 PM
Jan 2014
Gosh... i love the first episode specially the VA. Hearing Dazai made my heart beat since it's Mamo. Hosoyan and Kamiya is here too... <3<3

so happy for this episode and i am looking forward for the second episode.
Apr 7, 2016 5:25 PM

Jan 2014
Why the low score?
F0XFIRE said:
OP 4 most butthurt bitch on MAL.

Apr 7, 2016 5:43 PM

Dec 2012
This has the chance to be really really good, or just be one big flop. If it stays as consistent as this, no doubt this is gonna be good.
Apr 7, 2016 6:20 PM

Mar 2015
VanishingKira said:
Rather unimpressed but the action scenes are good,think the series would be better off without the "comedy."

Yeah I thought too that the 'comedy' felt out of place and sometimes awkward. Didn't blend well with the dramatic atmosphere.
Je trempe mes cookies dans tes larmes.
Apr 7, 2016 6:28 PM

Oct 2011
This was an amazing first episode, favorite so far of the new airings. The art and characters are super interesting, the expressions make it more lively and who doesn't like detective stories?

Dazai reminds me of Gilbert Nightray, whom is my all time favorite anime character, so as of now he is my favorite. ❤ I can't wait for the next episode.

As for the comedy, you're either going to love it or hate it. I personally love it. I laughed quite a few times.
LuxtressApr 7, 2016 6:31 PM
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Writing is more miss than hit; will it get better?

BiobulletM - May 3

28 by BiobulletM »»
Yesterday, 12:08 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2016

159 by yahn0928 »»
Apr 2, 9:54 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2016

144 by Majutsuishi »»
Apr 1, 8:07 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2016

153 by Majutsuishi »»
Mar 30, 1:48 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 25, 2016

191 by Majutsuishi »»
Mar 30, 1:18 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.