Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 4, 2016 11:59 PM

May 2012
Everytime I talk to someone, they go on about. "Brotherhood is the greatest aniem bro. best writing, characters everything." When that couldn't be further from the truth. It is essentially standard shounen, done well. It has all the cliches, friendship power, deus ex machina, corny romance and bad comedy. It is just, that none of these are done badly except for comedy.

The only good thing is the worldbuilding, and even that they ripped off of the middle east. The battles aren't creative, the characters arent complex, and it doesn't dive deeply into morality or philosophy. It is essentially something like Star Wars the force awakens. It doesn't do anything unique, but it is competent.

Are yall with me? I don't think it is close to being one of the greatest anime of all time.
Apr 5, 2016 12:04 AM

Aug 2013
It's the anime with a lot of drama that tugs on your heart strings...The relationship between Erlic and his brother is really special. The way the story progresses with them having to make harder and harder decisions and ending up in situations where only then you can really see how much they care for each other. But none of that would have worked out if it wasn't so well put together. It's an anime that makes you feel a special feeling no other anime does (at least for me) and that is "the best anime" in my book. But it's all comes down to taste and subjective opinions...
Apr 5, 2016 12:05 AM

Aug 2015
idk. no matter how I look at it FMA looks average for the most part. Specially the first 15 or so episodes. I guess it gets better from later on...

Almost everything in the top 10 is overrated!

I'm more concerned about why people thinks Death Notto is the best show ever >__<
Apr 5, 2016 12:08 AM

Apr 2013
The story was good, everything else was average imo. The characters were nothing special, especially the two brothers were kinda bland. 6/10

Death Note on the other hand was something refreshing. You never knew what would happen next and the main characters were actually smart and it was fun to see them trying to trick each other.
GatorApr 5, 2016 12:13 AM
Apr 5, 2016 12:09 AM
Mar 2008
Valenthius said:
But it's all comes down to taste and subjective opinions...

So...........wouldnt that make those kinds of threads pointless to begin with?
Apr 5, 2016 12:09 AM

Aug 2013
Z-Dante said:
I'm more concerned about why people thinks Death Notto is the best show ever >__<
Because L is brainy, and Light is brainy, and we will see who is brainier...it's a competition of "who is best brain"...now that i say it, i too wonder why people say its the best show.
Apr 5, 2016 12:10 AM

Aug 2013
MahadoKusanagi said:
Valenthius said:
But it's all comes down to taste and subjective opinions...

So...........wouldnt that make those kinds of threads pointless to begin with?
Well no shit Captain Obvious........
Apr 5, 2016 12:16 AM

Aug 2015
Tuturu!

Well I don't think it's the best. Lucky Star is far better imo.
El Psy Congroo
Apr 5, 2016 12:22 AM

Jun 2015
It's not the best show, Gintama° now is.
"Hurry up with my damn croissants."
Apr 5, 2016 1:42 AM

Dec 2012
I don't get why people think it's great either. It apparently has massive appeal but it's completely lost on me and goes over my head. Even in it's most simplistic of outline it does not appeal to me at all, be it' the alchemy, the military or the dual brothers protagonists.

It's like some of the movies that won oscars but I think they are average. They share the same boat of ''I don't get it''
Apr 5, 2016 1:45 AM

Dec 2014
I do think it depends on the viewer. We do have different tastes and all. It's not the best show for you but the best for me. I liked the blend of comedy, drama and the BA action in the series but above all the lessons that can be learned from the series (I loved the first series too, so I guess the second one also worked for me). The show appealed to millions but didn't for you so that's all there is so chill. XD
Apr 5, 2016 2:10 AM

May 2012
PoeticJustice said:
Everytime I talk to someone, they go on about. "Brotherhood is the greatest aniem bro. best writing, characters everything." When that couldn't be further from the truth.

If someone say they think this anime is the best anime they have ever watched, how can you say they are wrong? It's not about facts, it's about tastes and everyone has a different taste.

Even if you come here to make a thread to see how many people say FMA is not the best anime just to validate your opinion, in the end those who likes the anime will still think the anime is the best one.

This kind of thread is pointless, you can't argument with someone why they like something...they just like and that's it.

I don't think this is the best anime ever made, but i do think FMAB is a 10/10 masterpiece anime.
I despise woke people.
Apr 5, 2016 2:16 AM

May 2015
"Why do people think <insert whatever show here> is the best show?"
This question applies for most anime that is not your favourite.

Most people watch/like mostly shounen + fma:b is broadly considered the best shounen (I do too)= best show for most people (not for me)

As for why I will say my opinion. I got emotionally attached to edward because I have my reasons. The battles were good and I liked the concept of alchemy. Characters don't have to be complex to work, most of the main is are good enough to be memorable.

Not diving deeply into morality and philosophy is not necessarily a bad thing and it is not a requirement for being the best show. I prefer shows where the author keeps the depth at a level he/she can handle it well, if not it becomes pretentious. However fma:b still has morality and philosophy themes that add depth to the show even if not very deep I don't think they were superficial either.
The thing that made it go from a 9 to a 10 for me

Being competent can be more important than being unique.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 5, 2016 3:52 AM

Jul 2015
i didnt like the plot or any character
i think that kind of shounen is more for girls than boys (like hxh 2011 and gintama ,Kuroshitsuji .... the majority of their fanbase are girls)
tragedydesuApr 5, 2016 3:56 AM
Apr 5, 2016 8:32 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
It's more that it's pretty hard to find any huge problems with it. It doesn't peak the highest but there really isn't much to complain about. The key to getting high ratings is to have as few haters as possible, not the most fans
Apr 5, 2016 11:09 AM

May 2012
Valenthius said:
It's the anime with a lot of drama that tugs on your heart strings...The relationship between Erlic and his brother is really special. The way the story progresses with them having to make harder and harder decisions and ending up in situations where only then you can really see how much they care for each other. But none of that would have worked out if it wasn't so well put together. It's an anime that makes you feel a special feeling no other anime does (at least for me) and that is "the best anime" in my book. But it's all comes down to taste and subjective opinions...

Nah, if you said that about FMA 03, I would completely understand. The relationship in Brotherhood is almost nonexistent which is ironic.
Apr 14, 2016 9:38 AM

Jun 2015
My oh my. I had hoped you of all people would know better than to make threads such as this one. But what the hell.

Brotherhood is a polished and well-written show that both casuals and elitists can appreciate. The characters are well-written, as they are fully fleshed out, each having their own ups and downs, their own moral views. The Elrics, Mustang, Winry, Scar, Ling, Bradley, Father, you name it. Even minor side-characters manage to receive a hefty amount of development without ruining the narrative flow. This accomplishment alone is quite impressive.

You say it doesn't delve deeply into morality and philosophy? Not sure if we watched the same show but you are sadly mistaken. FMA:B talks a LOT about idealism and the boundary between good and evil. That was the motif behind Shou Tucker, the philosophers stone, the Ishvalen War, Kimblee, the Homunculi, and human transmutation. This is especially apparent with the philosopher's stone. Ed wants it, Ling wants it, the Homunculi want it. It's because we have desires. And the truth is that meeting your true desires will inevitably take some sacrifices. This was displayed through Greed's change of heart three quarters of the way. Ed gave up on alchemy because it isn't what makes humans special. Humans have potential. They learn from their mistakes like the flawed creatures they are. Special powers such as alchemy are pointless. It is very likely that most of its appeal comes from this. It shows that humans are special. It makes us feel like fascinating creatures. The aftertaste is something barely any other anime can replicate.

The battles aren't complex? Nearly every battle in this show is done by tactics and wits. Ed vs Greed, Ed vs Slicer, Ling vs the Homunculi, etc. It isn't Hunter x Hunter levels of complex, but there is without a doubt complexity to be found.

Like many others have said, it's all subjective. Therefore this thread ultimately serves little purpose outside of having to blow off some steam.
AltoRoarkApr 25, 2016 7:48 PM
Apr 17, 2016 11:37 AM

Aug 2015
Because they have shit taste.. its just that simple.
Apr 25, 2016 7:38 PM

Aug 2014
Meh, one of the most overrated series I've ever seen.
Apr 25, 2016 7:42 PM

Sep 2014
So many cool hipsters here ^_^
lewd is love, lewd is life !

Apr 25, 2016 8:18 PM

Jan 2015
I don't, I just think that it's the most consistent show throughout it's run and that the only true flaw with the show is the rushed beginning, which is only a concern for manga readers and those who watched the first adaptation.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Apr 25, 2016 9:08 PM

Mar 2014
Because it actually is.
Jan 8, 2017 9:23 PM
Dec 2016
I also think fmab is way overrated it's good in all but it's not some masterpiece that should be considered number 1

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

samatar45 - Oct 2, 2009

286 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Oct 11, 2009

296 by Fortvne »»
Apr 22, 4:31 PM

» What’s bad about this anime ( 1 2 3 )

sangonomiya_k - Nov 18, 2023

132 by Chewbaccaccino »»
Apr 21, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

adamantine - Aug 16, 2009

215 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 20, 10:29 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

965 by _dziku »»
Apr 19, 2:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.