Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 2, 2016 2:00 PM

Nov 2015
The first episode of the series aired 10 years ago today on April 2, 2006. I'd be lying if I said that I was there live watching it as it aired but, that doesn't make me love it any less. Truly one of my favorite shows ever and just thought I'd give it a quick shoutout. Really encapsulates how I feel I should be living my life, trying my best to never be bored and to have fun with everyone. I of course say that while typing on a laptop inside my home while it's 70 degrees and sunny out... but I digress. Over the years many have awaited a third season of this show which will probably never come having to default to the novels for the rest of the story. I, claiming to be a huge fan but maybe I'm just being ridiculous, have not finished the series. All these years I stubbornly awaited an announcement for a third season that never came. I'm not super into reading so I only continues the story through the next couple of volumes. My question to whoever is reading this is: Do I just go ahead and finish reading the novel and bring an end to this journey or do I hold out hoping for that thing that will most likely never happen.
The disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan gives me a beacon of hope knowing that SOMEWHERE somebody actually cared enough to at least bring the old gang back together (even if it was for a mediocre at best attempt at servicing fans). I'm sure most don't care but I do feel this series is somewhat important to the anime community which is another reason I made this post. Surely I can't be the only person on this site who enjoys this show, I just wanted to give a shoutout.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 2, 2016 2:04 PM

May 2015
sadly, the novels are on a seemingly permanent hiatus
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Apr 2, 2016 2:07 PM

Dec 2015
The Disappearance of Yuki was supposed to service the fans? Because I refuse to even watch it. Every single scene in the Melancholy has Kyon in it and you get to hear his inner monologue and narration, but they completely took that away in Yuki-chan. Way to undermine the spirit of the original.
Apr 2, 2016 2:08 PM
Jan 2016
I'm probably a little blinded by nostalgia here, but Haruhi is still my favorite anime out of the ~150 I've seen. And yes, read the novels. It's hard to say they give a conclusion to the story, but at least it's more material. We're never getting a season three, so unless you want to go forever without knowing the rest, read the novels. There's some good stuff in them, like Snowy Mountain Syndrome.

Oh, and Yuki-chan is dumb. People wanted to see a romance between Kyon and Yuki, not whoever these two doofuses are. In fact, characters aside, Yuki-chan actually makes me mad - given some plot developments later in the manga, they picked an awful place to end the season on. PLUS, if it gets a season two (which would be a LOT more likely than Haruhi S3), not only would it be longer than the source anime, but it'd also be the first Haruhi series to animate Sasaki and Kuyou.
Apr 2, 2016 2:12 PM
Jan 2013
4 years without new novels
3rd season not happening
Novels don't have a set ending
Though the last chapter kinda feel like a conclusion, nice things happen
Puyo is keeping the series alive by himself
With Haruhi-Chan and Yuki-Chan
They could do a whole season just with the
And hell, if they didn't do that, there's a lot of stuff that's not that that they could use
ain't happening
3rd season ain't happening
Go read the novels

Yeah
I can't say it's a closure
But it definitelly does feel like a closure of some sorts
gone bai bai
Apr 2, 2016 2:13 PM

Dec 2015
DubstepKazoo said:
I'm probably a little blinded by nostalgia here, but Haruhi is still my favorite anime out of the ~150 I've seen. And yes, read the novels. It's hard to say they give a conclusion to the story, but at least it's more material. We're never getting a season three, so unless you want to go forever without knowing the rest, read the novels. There's some good stuff in them, like Snowy Mountain Syndrome.

Oh, and Yuki-chan is dumb. People wanted to see a romance between Kyon and Yuki, not whoever these two doofuses are. In fact, characters aside, Yuki-chan actually makes me mad - given some plot developments later in the manga, they picked an awful place to end the season on. PLUS, if it gets a season two (which would be a LOT more likely than Haruhi S3), not only would it be longer than the source anime, but it'd also be the first Haruhi series to animate Sasaki and Kuyou.

There's still almost 5 books of material to animate before they get to Sasaki.
Apr 2, 2016 2:16 PM

Jul 2015
This just makes me feel really old, even though I didn't watch it as it was airing :(
Haven't watched the Disappearance of Nagato because even though the dub voice actors are the same (I think), nothing else will be the same
Apr 2, 2016 2:17 PM
Jan 2016
Bobby2Hands said:
DubstepKazoo said:

There's still almost 5 books of material to animate before they get to Sasaki.

I was talking about Yuki-chan. Sasaki shows up in volume five, right after the events of the OVA. I'm salty because if Yuki-chan gets a second season, Sasaki would show up there without having shown up in the anime for the main series yet.
Apr 2, 2016 2:20 PM

Oct 2014
10 years and still no proper sequel. I guess we should just give up on it now. It's been a year since I started watching Yuki Nagato and I still haven't seen the last 4 episodes.
Apr 2, 2016 2:27 PM

Feb 2011
>FLCL S2+3
>Berserk continuation series
>FMP S3

NEVER LOSE HOPE

the LNs will get finished
S3 and a 2nd move will happen
Apr 2, 2016 2:33 PM

Oct 2013
Kittenpotpie said:
>FLCL S2+3
>FMP S3

NEVER LOSE HOPE

You just made me happy, here's a cookie for you :)
Apr 2, 2016 2:33 PM

Nov 2015
DubstepKazoo said:

I agree, I feel like it happened because so many people liked Yuki more after the movie. Who wants a Kyon Yuki fling thing? That show stinks btw lol I only tolerate it because I love the series so much. I read Snowy Mountain Syndrome (I think.. it's been a while. Is that where they're SPOILERS: stuck in the mansion or whatever? I vaguely remember it. That might've been the last one I read)
Apr 2, 2016 2:35 PM

Nov 2015
Kittenpotpie said:
>FLCL S2+3
>FMP S3

NEVER LOSE HOPE

That's a super positive way to put it! Great points! I'll do my best to keep my hope intact. I think I'll still have to finish the novels at least though :( / :)
Apr 2, 2016 2:37 PM
May 2015
Man, I feel so old...Been a long time since I watched the Melancholy/Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. If they are going to make S3, though I highly doubt they will, I really hope it has the same quality as The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya because that movie is 100 times better than both seasons of Melancholy. I still love The Melancholy series though. It's one of the funniest shows I have watched.

Also, that Yuki-chan series should just rot in hell because it's one of the worst shows I've ever seen.

Apr 2, 2016 2:41 PM

Dec 2015
Gabagool said:
DubstepKazoo said:

I agree, I feel like it happened because so many people liked Yuki more after the movie. Who wants a Kyon Yuki fling thing? That show stinks btw lol I only tolerate it because I love the series so much. I read Snowy Mountain Syndrome (I think.. it's been a while. Is that where they're SPOILERS: stuck in the mansion or whatever? I vaguely remember it. That might've been the last one I read)

Who even needs romance? The books (as far as I have read) don't have any romance, it's just five unusual friends having misadventures together.
Apr 2, 2016 2:42 PM

Jul 2011
Kittenpotpie said:
>FLCL S2+3
>FMP S3

NEVER LOSE HOPE

Yeah, i don't understand why so many people just accept that another season it's impossible.

Also if a new Tiger Mask was announced recently nothing really determines what can get a sequel or not.
PralandApr 2, 2016 2:48 PM
Apr 2, 2016 2:45 PM
Jan 2013
Praland said:
Kittenpotpie said:
>FLCL S2+3
>FMP S3

NEVER LOSE HOPE

Yeah, i don't understand why somany people just accept that another season it's impossible.

Also if a new Tiger Mask was announced recently nothing really determines what can get a sequel or not.
Here's how it works, in a simple two step process
Situation: "Maybe there will be a sequel someday"

Step 1: "No it won't"
Step 2: Tears

See how it works?
gone bai bai
Apr 2, 2016 2:52 PM

Dec 2015
Anyway I think celebratory Haruhi gif is in order.
Apr 2, 2016 3:15 PM

Nov 2015
Bobby2Hands said:
Anyway I think celebratory Haruhi gif is in order.

Nice Job! I should've put one in the first place!
Apr 2, 2016 3:17 PM

Sep 2014
So its 10 years since slice of life started to rule the anime industry?
Smoke Weed Everyday
Apr 2, 2016 3:35 PM

Oct 2014
Suzumiya Haruhi is one of the first non-long running anime I watched, though I caught it up a few weeks after the first season finished.
I didn't watch many anime even after that, but Haruhi series one of my all time favs even til now when I finally become active in watching anime while it is aired.

Apr 2, 2016 3:42 PM

Apr 2013
Sidartha1 said:
Get your sour grapes outta here. Go on, get.
Apr 2, 2016 3:45 PM

Mar 2015
And my favorite show is 46 years old and 1 day, holy shit!
Apr 2, 2016 3:46 PM
Jan 2013
Sidartha1 said:
What a glorious time to be alive‌‌‌‌
gone bai bai
Apr 2, 2016 3:53 PM

Apr 2013
I wouldn't call Haruhi slice of life. School life partially, I suppose.

Also, while the anime is 10 years old, Suzumiya Haruhi title is almsot 13 years old (since first novels was in 2003) ;=)
Apr 2, 2016 4:00 PM

Nov 2015
Zefyris said:
I wouldn't call Haruhi slice of life. School life partially, I suppose.

Also, while the anime is 10 years old, Suzumiya Haruhi title is almsot 13 years old (since first novels was in 2003) ;=)

true. That's why I prefaced this by saying "the first episode aired" Still it should be noted that it is technically older than 10 years. I started with the anime as I'm sure many of us did.

@sidartha1
Even still after all these years it's still one of the best ones too :). SoL is a great genre imo
Apr 2, 2016 4:00 PM

Apr 2014
Endless Eight happened, you get socks for your birthday for that.
Apr 2, 2016 4:15 PM

Jan 2015
I only recently got into anime, but it's kinda crazy to think that Haruhi anime is 10 years old for how good it's production value is.

Hopefully S3 can be here soon enough.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Apr 2, 2016 4:20 PM

Apr 2013
Protaku said:
As most things it's beyond me how a person can claim to be a fan of the show if they wholly dislike the endless eight.
Apr 2, 2016 4:23 PM

Jan 2009
my favorite anime of all time
i loved endless eight
i loved everything
the novels
the shitty manga
why don't they give us more
i don't understand
Apr 2, 2016 4:25 PM

Apr 2014
Polychrome said:
Protaku said:
As most things it's beyond me how a person can claim to be a fan of the show if they wholly dislike the endless eight.

I gave S2 a 1/10 for endless eight lol.
I hope you're not implying I'm a big fan. I just like the characters.
Apr 2, 2016 4:34 PM

Mar 2015
Protaku said:

Endless Eight was a fantastic thing for immersion
Apr 2, 2016 4:43 PM
Jul 2018
i only started watching anime in 08 so i didn't get to watching TMOHS till 09 or so. Loved the first series, and the second one sans endless eight was good too. The only redeeming thing about endless eight was minute detail difference each episode, seeing the gals and Itsuki & Kyon looking damn good kyon shirtless, itsuki in a fucking speedo... other than that, it didn't need to be dragged out so damn long.
Apr 2, 2016 4:47 PM

Apr 2014
Polychrome said:
Protaku said:
it's only normal for a human being to hate E8.
I manage to survive endless eight with the least amount of rage just because I didn't watch it weekly and fast forward through most epiaode, imagine a weekly watcher waiting for a goddamn week expecting new material and they got some "Kyon, dengwa..." for friggin two month.
Apr 2, 2016 4:54 PM

Nov 2015
NateMKII said:
Protaku said:

I actually feel the same way. Granted it was a huge waste of money on their part but going through endless 8 made me feel like how they did going through the time loop. Really makes you feel for Yuki too.
Apr 2, 2016 6:02 PM

Jul 2013
Gabagool said:
NateMKII said:

I actually feel the same way. Granted it was a huge waste of money on their part but going through endless 8 made me feel like how they did going through the time loop. Really makes you feel for Yuki too.

Agreed. If Endless Eight was KyoAni's way of letting the viewers empathize with Nagato then I applaud them for that. They have the guts to trigger their fanbase to make their work have more impact. Though I still rated S2 a "4."
Apr 2, 2016 6:18 PM

Mar 2015
Sidartha1 said:
just slightly reminder that sazae-san is
> 46 years
> still currently airing
> still have highest anime TV ratings
> it SOL
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 2, 2016 6:23 PM

Mar 2013
Wow 10 years. I remember the time when Haruhi was the big time Anime on the block.
Apr 2, 2016 7:00 PM

Jan 2010
Moved from Anime Discussion

Thanks for making me feel old.

Apr 2, 2016 9:20 PM

Nov 2015
Shocked said:

we're all old :'( .. life can be cruel sometimes lol
Apr 3, 2016 5:57 AM

Nov 2011
Gabagool said:
Shocked said:

Yay Happy anniversary woo~
Yep I feeel reeeaal old too o_o
I cant believe I've been a haruhiist for 10 years.

I believe that we are the more resilient of fanbases. To survive endless eight and be rewarded by that phenomenal Disappearance movie. (Even though I absolutely loved it and rewatched it endlessly).

Somehow someday we'll get an awesome conclusion to the novel and a movie or a new season XD

I havent heard much from Nagaru Tanigawa tho :/
Apr 3, 2016 9:03 AM

Nov 2015
Melcookie96 said:
Gabagool said:

Yay Happy anniversary woo~
Yep I feeel reeeaal old too o_o
I cant believe I've been a haruhiist for 10 years.

I believe that we are the more resilient of fanbases. To survive endless eight and be rewarded by that phenomenal Disappearance movie. (Even though I absolutely loved it and rewatched it endlessly).

Somehow someday we'll get an awesome conclusion to the novel and a movie or a new season XD

I havent heard much from Nagaru Tanigawa tho :/

The series has been too successful for it to end like this! Somebody needs to step up
Apr 3, 2016 9:46 AM

May 2010
Man, time sure goes by quickly. Haruhi was my 20th anime 6,5 years ago, and recently I finished my 150th ;_;

I miss this series a lot! Haruhi used to be really big, but after Madoka it kinda started to disappear from people's hearts :| Maybe if another volume of novel get published we'd finally get something new, sigh...
Apr 3, 2016 4:52 PM

Apr 2014
I wasn't watching anime until after the main series ended, but when I did start, Haruhi Suzumiya was one of the "bigger" titles I knew I should watch sooner rather than later.
It did not disappoint. Season 1 & Disappearance are among my favorite anime titles, and I admire Season 2 for being sort of gutsy.
I finished the LN series just last year, and while it ended on a good note, I'm still hungering for more. I can only hope that we may yet get a season 3 in the future.
If you're reading the light novels, I definitely recommend you finish them, because they're great books; plus, if we ever do get that 3rd season, you'll know exactly why there's reason to be excited:
Apr 3, 2016 5:54 PM

Nov 2015
Gurren_Rodan said:
I wasn't watching anime until after the main series ended, but when I did start, Haruhi Suzumiya was one of the "bigger" titles I knew I should watch sooner rather than later.
It did not disappoint. Season 1 & Disappearance are among my favorite anime titles, and I admire Season 2 for being sort of gutsy.
I finished the LN series just last year, and while it ended on a good note, I'm still hungering for more. I can only hope that we may yet get a season 3 in the future.
If you're reading the light novels, I definitely recommend you finish them, because they're great books; plus, if we ever do get that 3rd season, you'll know exactly why there's reason to be excited:

I'm in the same boat as far as being pretty knew to watching anime in the scheme of things. I'll definitely need to pick the novels back up again. I'll always have my fingers crossed for a season 3!
Apr 10, 2016 5:19 PM

Nov 2015
Well, I just finished S1, S2 and the movie. Survived the endless eight. Watched the ONAs. Went through Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu and the ONA. And, I've even read the light novels. Anyways, I loved this anime and I'm starting to miss it even though I just finished it yesterday. I hated Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu. I didn't like Nagato character and it didn't feel have the same feel except when Haruhi was around. I want S3 but I doubt that would happen, there's not enough light novel material. Well, happy 10th birthday to the anime adaption and 13th birthday to the light novel! I originally watched this series back in 2009, I was 8. I didn't recall what happened, so I ended watching this series this weekend. I loved it, brings back memories.
_LorDNiCo_Apr 10, 2016 5:27 PM
Apr 10, 2016 5:26 PM
Jan 2013
_LorDNiCo_ said:
I want S3 but I doubt that would happen there's not enough light novel material
There's enough Light Novel Material for like, 2 whole new seasons or something like that
Maybe more
gone bai bai
Apr 10, 2016 5:31 PM

Nov 2015
Mkim said:
_LorDNiCo_ said:
I want S3 but I doubt that would happen there's not enough light novel material
There's enough Light Novel Material for like, 2 whole new seasons or something like that
Maybe more

Then doesn't Kyoto Animation animate the series then? What's going on?
Apr 10, 2016 5:33 PM
Jan 2013
_LorDNiCo_ said:
Mkim said:
Maybe more

Then doesn't Kyoto Animation animate the series then? What's going on?
Prolly cause they don't want to
gone bai bai
Apr 10, 2016 5:33 PM

Mar 2016
Happy anniversary... This is making me feel old now ;c
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» "chronological order" and my utter disgust for it

Tsuna_Nihilist - Apr 15

36 by YukariKatsuragi »»
Apr 16, 11:49 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 23, 2008

87 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:50 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

abhin4v - Mar 2, 2008

93 by S4dnu »»
Apr 11, 5:47 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AgathaKazar - Jul 19, 2008

99 by S4dnu »»
Apr 9, 5:39 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Jul 26, 2008

101 by Alkimia »»
Feb 29, 9:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.