Forum Settings
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 29, 2016 3:38 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
30 pages of salt, but I guess they needed a chapter to transition to the next phase.
Arata is such a good sport =( .
Mar 31, 2016 1:29 AM

Dec 2011
That was a really good chapter.Got tear up when Hakuon win and they deserve it.
Taichi is now back on the team and looks like he is conquering Chihaya heart as well.
Mar 31, 2016 1:29 AM
Nov 2015
What a good guy. Even when he's pissed off, he quickly gained his calm and composure.

It's all about Taichi! Even Arata said so XD

Too bad for Rion :'(
Mar 31, 2016 2:35 AM

Sep 2010
Seems like no one cares about Hyoro's victory.

That was the highlight of the chapter for me. The man deserved it!

Still what is this random happy ending? Taichi just comes back and everyone is crying hurray! The whole development with him leaving was quite great but was it all only for this single scene.

Well of course not as there was much other development from it and Chihaya finally noticed him... but I thought there would be a little bit more interesting conclusion.

Oh well, at least there is not that much needless drama... now I want to see the individual matches. Can Taichi finally win please! PLEASE!

Show them the power of the dark side!!
Mar 31, 2016 2:43 AM

Nov 2015
"Chihaya, the world does not only consists of cards and sounds" is what Arata said last chapter which made me feel sorry for him because I like him as a character even though I don't ship him with Chihaya.

But in this chapter, what Arata said to Taichi was a bit selfish. He was angry at Taichi because he left and because of that Chihaya had to play as a captain. But he knew from the very beginning that Chihaya is there to play for "her team" and as their captain just like how every player in that room is playing for their team.

But Arata just as how you said that the world does not only consist if sounds and cards. It's the same for you. The world does not only consist of you( Arata),Chihaya and Karuta. There are also people around you, who's mind is within something else or someone else. Just like how every player in that room never played for their own but for their team. What Chihaya did may be cold, but her team is important to her, knowing how strong Arata is, she couldn't afford to lose her focus or she might lose which will be bad for her team. That's why it is wrong idea to make a team now, because those opponents you will face has been working hard together for years. They have a bond that only all of them will understand.

Arata getting angry at Taichi, because Chihaya was only able to play as team captain and not as Chihaya is a bit selfish. Don't you think Taichi may have a big reason to leave his team? There are circumstances that may lead someone to stop playing- Arata should've know this best.

But anyways its good that he apologized. I guess what Suetsugu said in her interview about Arata was right. That even though he is a great player, he is not good at understanding the feelings of those people around him.. Which is normal because he is a Karuta-baka just like Chihaya was before, but now Chihaya has change...so it's Arata's turn to move on from the past, have his character grow and focus on what he really should be doing.
MTKN9068Mar 31, 2016 6:17 AM
For salty fans
Mar 31, 2016 2:48 AM
Nov 2015
eso18 said:

LOL okay, he deserved it alright!
I also like the bromance vibe between him and Taichi. (it's always kinda one-sided tho)
But, he still beat my Rion and Sakurazawa-sensei's team, so nope, I'm not really emphatic on his victory haha.
Mar 31, 2016 4:00 AM

Feb 2011
eso18 said:

Still what is this random happy ending? Taichi just comes back and everyone is crying hurray! The whole development with him leaving was quite great but was it all only for this single scene.

Well of course not as there was much other development from it and Chihaya finally noticed him... but I thought there would be a little bit more interesting conclusion.

Oh well, at least there is not that much needless drama... now I want to see the individual matches. Can Taichi finally win please! PLEASE!

Well people have different views and interest. For you it may be the high light but for some it's not.
It may be your reason of reading and what you've been waiting for, but to some readers they might be more interested in the love triangle in this manga.

Since everyone here have different reasons to read. If you read it because you are interested in the sports aspect,karuta or other things except the romance part then that's fine. If you want to talk about it too, it's fine.
But for some, their reason of reading may be because of the love triangle and that's why that's all they want to talk about. But that doesn't make them any less better than those who are not interested in the romance part of the story.

I see these kind of comments in some other sites too and I think it's really a kill joy.
Mar 31, 2016 4:17 AM

Jul 2014
Ayumi-Akimoto said:
eso18 said:

Well people have different views and interest. For you it may be the high light but for some it's not.
It may be your reason of reading and what you've been waiting for, but to some readers they might be more interested in the love triangle in this manga.

Since everyone here have different reasons to read. If you read it because you are interested in the sports aspect,karuta or other things except the romance part then that's fine. If you want to talk about it too, it's fine.
But for some, their reason of reading may be because of the love triangle and that's why that's all they want to talk about. But that doesn't make them any less better than those who are not interested in the romance part of the story.

I see these kind of comments in some other sites too and I think it's really a kill joy.

Isn't it comments like these that are really killjoys though...
Mar 31, 2016 4:32 AM
Nov 2015
vikki7783 said:
Ayumi-Akimoto said:

I don't mind the killjoys if they could be engaged in a good discussion tho. I would like to see this part of MAL having more active discussions.

On @eso18 post, I think you jumped to conclusion there. IMO Taichi won't beat Arata just yet. His trainings with Suou was okay but that doesn't exactly mean he can beat Arata and have his happy ending. So, I think we will see more of Taichi's development too. This is actually a litte bit bitter to Mizusawa's seniors. Taichi must redeem all of his wrongdoings now.
Mar 31, 2016 4:54 AM

Sep 2010
Hahaha... Hyoro's comment was half sarcasm and people took it seriously... still on the other hand...

Most of this tournament Arc introduced many new characters (like first years, etc) and generally... I couldn't care less about all those new characters. Not at all!

On the other hand though, Hyoro was there all the way from beginning starting in the 'childhood flashback arc', so even though he was always more of gag character to begin with he kind of grew on me... much unlike all those characters that were added later down the line just to prolong the series rather than getting to the main storyline.

By main most interesting storyline I naturally mean both the romance aspect of three main characters but also the dreams of becoming Mejin and Queen. Unless those two got concluded the series can't end. (well it can but it will be a huge let down)
Mar 31, 2016 5:04 AM

May 2010
while reading this chapter, i know Hokuou will win because of Hyoro's scene hint, but I want Fujisaki to win i really feel like they deserve it more than Hokuou, i feel for Rion more then Hyoro, sorry about that..
anyway the Single Match is a HYPE!! well for me anyway.. XD
Mar 31, 2016 5:22 AM

Dec 2015
Yes, Arata do say some things without thinking of how the other person might feel and of course Suetsugu is right.. she's the writer after all.

But that's normal, Arata is not perfect.. just like how every characters in this manga is also not perfect. But that's what "character's development" are for.
And for Arata he may be the last to have a character development. Save the best for last - he's the male lead after all.
And that development is something that will solve everything that he lacked off.. as a character, as a player and all.. which will lead to his victory in whatever Suetsugu planned for him.

It may be painful. We might feel bad and feel sorry for him but all of it will be for his character development, it will be for his own good. For whatever ending Suetsugu planned for him.

About Chihaya and the rest's reaction.. it's not just a random happiness. Chihaya has been waiting for him.
Like she said before Taichi left the club but he will return and while he is gone she will do things she have to do while she wait for him.

But she really want him to be with them
http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v30/c157/17.html

So it's not a random happiness.

Mar 31, 2016 6:15 AM

Mar 2014
Omg,
So, first: I'm so happy for Hyoro. His development was so real. He's been working just as hard as Taichi, and he definitely deserved it. I want him to win the individual B tournament the next day, just to show that parallel.
Second, I've said this for a chapter or two now, but Taichi is back ^.^ this is awesome, I really want to see his karuta. But more importantly, that Mizusawa reunion.. Father's come back to town <3 :') that was so cute
Third, Arata needs to calm down and open his eyes before, as it's been said before. But he'll bounce back. It's a new beginning, as the manga said.
Fourth, I'm just really sad Taichi couldn't play in this last tournament. I just finished rewatching the anime and read 20 additional chapters of the manga in my process of re-watch-reading it, and it really pains me to see Taichi not in this. I mean, he's been in this the whole time. It sucks that such a demoralizing series of events had to happen prior to their school tournament.. but oh well. It's done. Stronger development there (y)
Mar 31, 2016 6:22 AM

Feb 2011
vikki7783 said:
Ayumi-Akimoto said:

In what way is my comment a kill joy?
I am basically saying that, we all have the right to talk about whatever we think about this manga/chapter (be it about love triangle, karuta or anything senseless related) without anyone questioning on why we only talk about one topic and ignore the other things.
Mar 31, 2016 7:21 AM
Dec 2009
eso18 said:

Aww man you're right. What happened to all that build up? This is an easy way out.
"We're now all friends again, huzzah."

Hope taichi continues hating karuta and stay in the dark side like the meijin, for at least a while longer.
This makes the story more interesting than everyone holding hands and being bffs
TelwynMar 31, 2016 7:24 AM
Mar 31, 2016 7:51 AM

Mar 2014
Telwyn said:
eso18 said:

Aww man you're right. What happened to all that build up? This is an easy way out.

Hope taichi continues hating karuta and stay in the dark side like the meijin, for at least a while longer.
This makes the story more interesting than everyone holding hands and being bffs

You guys need to see the context. This was their last team tournament, its all over now. Everyone's already very emotional about it and then taichi turns up a bit too late. So it wasn't surprising to see them cry and hug like a family. However, this doesn't mean everything is back to normal especially when it comes to chihaya and taichi. Taichi told nishida and komano before resigning from the club and then met with them even apologized to them so I don't think they are even mad at him. I don't think kana and sumire would be hard on him either especially if they heard his reasons. The only one that taichi has to clear things up with is chihaya. That we have to see in the upcoming chapters. I don't think they'll be back to normal after what happened between them.
Mar 31, 2016 8:03 AM

Mar 2014
finestseeker17 said:
What a good guy. Even when he's pissed off, he quickly gained his calm and composure.

It's all about Taichi! Even Arata said so XD

Too bad for Rion :'(

He didn't give a good impression in this chapter though. He was mad at taichi not because he wanted to play against a friend who was not there but because chihaya was playing as the captain not herself. He basically doesn't care about taichi and his reasons for absence. He doesn't understand team playing like he didn't even comfort his teammates.

Anyways, this means character development for him so its all good!
kay91Mar 31, 2016 8:06 AM
Mar 31, 2016 8:34 AM

Nov 2015
Telwyn said:
eso18 said:

Actually.. I wasn't really surprised that Taichi will return.
It was hinted a lot of times. I remember some people said that since Taichi became Sou's apprentice, he will turn into the dark side and become strong in Karuta and beat Arata and become the Meijin.

But Taichi's reason for following Sou wasn't because he wanted to become stronger or become the next Meijin.
It was because, he thought that if he follow him, he will be able to clear his mind, his despair towards Karuta and everyone who's important to him. He didn't want those times he spent with them to turn into waste. Revenge wasn't on his mind.. but he wanted his anger to disappear.

That's why I didn't understand why some people said he will turn into dark side. lol
When obviously he will return and there lots of hints about it.

Because like Nunnally said Chihaya was waiting for him.

And we see a lot of them wishing for him to come back.
Especially Chihaya
http://z.mfcdn.net/store/manga/6624/29-150.0/compressed/s023.jpg
http://z.mfcdn.net/store/manga/6624/29-150.0/compressed/s029.jpg
http://z.mfcdn.net/store/manga/6624/30-154.0/compressed/f021.jpg
http://z.mfcdn.net/store/manga/6624/30-154.0/compressed/f023.jpg
http://z.mfcdn.net/store/manga/6624/30-154.0/compressed/f025.jpg
http://z.mfcdn.net/store/manga/6624/30-154.0/compressed/f026.jpg
http://z.mfcdn.net/store/manga/6624/30-157.0/compressed/f017.jpg

And as we all know.. Taichi's card is about "coming back"
Though we are parted,
If on Mount Inaba's peak
I should hear the sound
Of the pine trees growing there,
I'll come back again to you.

Everyone is waiting for him.. wishing he was there.. and so he came back just before the Nationals end.

So it's not an easy way out. It was how Suetsugu really planned it.
MTKN9068Mar 31, 2016 8:41 AM
For salty fans
Mar 31, 2016 10:03 AM

Jun 2015
I really feel sorry for Arata but i think he needs such a development to grow up and become stronger.
So happy for Hoku and Hyoro he deserved it after all that hard working and sacrificing.
Aaaaaand that last scene was very emotional T_T
I really can't wait for the individual matches Arata must get his revenge there.

kay91 said:
Telwyn said:

You guys need to see the context. This was their last team tournament, its all over now. Everyone's already very emotional about it and then taichi turns up a bit too late. So it wasn't surprising to see them cry and hug like a family. However, this doesn't mean everything is back to normal especially when it comes to chihaya and taichi. Taichi told nishida and komano before resigning from the club and then met with them even apologized to them so I don't think they are even mad at him. I don't think kana and sumire would be hard on him either especially if they heard his reasons. The only one that taichi has to clear things up with is chihaya. That we have to see in the upcoming chapters. I don't think they'll be back to normal after what happened between them.

I agree and i wouldn't call it a happy ending, at the end, mizusawa lost in thier last year and Taichi didn't get to play with them ,that last scene was full of regret and remorse to call it a happy ending.
Mar 31, 2016 11:35 AM
Nov 2015
kay91 said:
He didn't give a good impression in this chapter though. He was mad at taichi not because he wanted to play against a friend who was not there but because chihaya was playing as the captain not herself. He basically doesn't care about taichi and his reasons for absence. He doesn't understand team playing like he didn't even comfort his teammates.

Haha well, I can agree with your reasons for the bad impression part.
When I read this chapter, I also felt "wth Arata, you suddenly pissed and get mad with Taichi and blabber about Chihaya being captain and it was all Taichi's fault." I dunno about the not comforting his teammates part but I kinda agreed because it looks like he's thinking about himself more than his teammates.

That's all totally understandable and make sense though. Chihaya disappointed him, his team was totally destroyed (5-0 is shameful for everybody), he lost to Chihaya, it's his first and last team tournament so maybe he expected good memories not only with his team but also with Chihaya and Taichi, Taichi not being there and suddenly being there were nothing but salts for him. Sure it was all selfish but he's not perfect. He could have expectations and be shaken just like anybody else. I think the reason why I still admire him is just because I could do worse if I was in his position LOL.
Mar 31, 2016 1:08 PM

Mar 2014
finestseeker17 said:
kay91 said:

Haha well, I can agree with your reasons for the bad impression part.
When I read this chapter, I also felt "wth Arata, you suddenly pissed and get mad with Taichi and blabber about Chihaya being captain and it was all Taichi's fault." I dunno about the not comforting his teammates part but I kinda agreed because it looks like he's thinking about himself more than his teammates.

That's all totally understandable and make sense though. Chihaya disappointed him, his team was totally destroyed (5-0 is shameful for everybody), he lost to Chihaya, it's his first and last team tournament so maybe he expected good memories not only with his team but also with Chihaya and Taichi, Taichi not being there and suddenly being there were nothing but salts for him. Sure it was all selfish but he's not perfect. He could have expectations and be shaken just like anybody else. I think the reason why I still admire him is just because I could do worse if I was in his position LOL.

I'm actually happy we are seeing a not-so-perfect side of arata. My biggest beef with character was that he doesn't have much flaws. Whenever he made a mistake, he would quickly reflect on it and tada~ the conflict is automatically resolved.

I understand he was feeling a lot of emotions at that moment and he let it all out on taichi without thinking. I was just saying that this chapter was showing us his "weak" side. Although, arata is nice guy at heart, he still has his flaws. I do think he didn't treat his team well. It just proves he's not cut out for team matches. For him, there's only one team- team chihayafuru. He only made a team now because he wanted to fight against chihaya's team..not like chihaya who wanted to play in a team with new friends. So in a way he didn't consider his teammates' feelings and failed as a senpai.

So I'm really hoping suetsugu doesn't waste this golden opportunity to focus on his development.
Mar 31, 2016 1:37 PM

Mar 2014
Maha23 said:
I really feel sorry for Arata but i think he needs such a development to grow up and become stronger.
So happy for Hoku and Hyoro he deserved it after all that hard working and sacrificing.
Aaaaaand that last scene was very emotional T_T
I really can't wait for the individual matches Arata must get his revenge there.

kay91 said:

I agree and i wouldn't call it a happy ending, at the end, mizusawa lost in thier last year and Taichi didn't get to play with them ,that last scene was full of regret and remorse to call it a happy ending.

You know, suetsugu actually gave a lot of signs of taichi's return not only with his friends crying his name in every single chapter (lol) but also through the cards read during the matches. Some of them were about yearning for a friend/lover's return. And well the "se" poem was pretty obvious.

Yeah it really sucks that taichi couldn't play with his team in their last tournament. It was a sad ending for team mizusawa but its also just the beginning. Because "taichi is here" :P
Mar 31, 2016 3:58 PM
Nov 2015
kay91 said:
I'm actually happy we are seeing a not-so-perfect side of arata. My biggest beef with character was that he doesn't have much flaws. Whenever he made a mistake, he would quickly reflect on it and tada~ the conflict is automatically resolved.

I understand he was feeling a lot of emotions at that moment and he let it all out on taichi without thinking. I was just saying that this chapter was showing us his "weak" side. Although, arata is nice guy at heart, he still has his flaws. I do think he didn't treat his team well. It just proves he's not cut out for team matches. For him, there's only one team- team chihayafuru. He only made a team now because he wanted to fight against chihaya's team..not like chihaya who wanted to play in a team with new friends. So in a way he didn't consider his teammates' feelings and failed as a senpai.

So I'm really hoping suetsugu doesn't waste this golden opportunity to focus on his development.

Yup, actually, I agree with you. Arata's showing some flaws is a great sign for me too. I really hope Suetsugu will focus on his development. That will make this story much more interesting and relatable for me.

About Arata's team part, I also agree that he created that team for his own personal reasons. It was pretty obvious even in the earlier chapters when he first created his team. So, I never expected him to be a leader in the first place. I was only not sure on the comforting his teammates part. He's a very kind person, it's in his nature to comfort his friends, well maybe later or Suetsugu didn't show it. But, if Suetsugu really make Arata being more selfish and only focus on his failures and his individual match without even trying to comfort his friends, then it's only getting better for me. I actually would like to see that.
Mar 31, 2016 7:41 PM

Jan 2008
WTF? What is this, April fools?
Chapter 160:

And now ch164:

Suetsugu Yuki is trying to pull the wool over our eyes.
Estoy_GordoMar 31, 2016 7:44 PM
Mar 31, 2016 8:51 PM

Nov 2015
4kicks said:
Chapter 160:

And now ch164:

Er. . what do you mean? It was obvious that Chihaya didn't remove the headband, that's why Sumire, Kana and their advisor had a surprised look when she put them again and that headband was shown a lot.

Also this chapter came out last march 15...
The translator were only able to upload them yesterday.
For salty fans
Mar 31, 2016 11:38 PM

Jan 2008
MTKN9068 said:
4kicks said:
Chapter 160:

And now ch164:

Er. . what do you mean? It was obvious that Chihaya didn't remove the headband, that's why Sumire, Kana and their advisor had a surprised look when she put them again and that headband was shown a lot.

First of all, the April fools things was a joke. I'm aware chapters are translated much later than the release, because duh.

Chapter 159, page 5, the extra headband in the teacher's hand noticed by Sumire has Chihaya's name on it, meant for Chihaya, meaning she was wearing Taichi's headband during her loss. The mixup is rectified in the next chapter when she is given her own headband, when the teach says she gave Chihaya the wrong headband. Teacher asks: "You want to change it now?" Chihaya says yes, saying she bad luck wearing (Taichi's) headband, and proceeds puts on her own headband, with her name on it, after she clearly takes off her previous one, as shown in my example images of chapter 160, shown putting on a new one in the 2nd image....had she put Taichi's headband on again, then Chihaya would have said no, and either disregarded or not commented about the bad luck part (which was meant to poke fun at Taichi).

Simplified: Chihaya was given the wrong headband the first time around, and lost while competing with it on. She was later given the correct one with her name, which she put on after taking off (Taichi's) saying she had no luck with (Taichi's headband). She later wins in later chapters (wearing her own goodluck headband, because the superstitions was she lost wearing Taichi's)

Fast forward 4 chapters, she takes off her headband, supposedly with her name on it, which she hasn't changed since she put it on, and lo-and-behold it has Taichi's name on it for some reason, when it it should have been Chihaya's name. Unless I'm missing something, (i.e Chihaya taking off her own headband and taking out Taichi's from say a pocket, which wasn't shown), there would have been no point in changing her headbands at all in the first place in chapter 159-160.

Sumire and Kana's surprised looks (assuming you were referring to the panel with Taichi saying "How mean of you"/The symbol of misfortune), that was them reacting to the revelation that Chihaya was wearing Taichi's headband all along, before she puts on a new headband. If you were referring to the panel with the advisor, Sumire, and Tsukuba...then again, as previously said, Chihaya would not have agreed with the advisor to change her headband.

Likely scenarios:
1. Artist or magazine editor mistake.
2. Happened off screen/panel, with Chihaya taking her own headband off, pulling out Taichi's from maybe her pocket--but ended up conveyed poorly making the misunderstanding in the readers.
3. Chihaya wore two headbands at once, but that would have be pointless.
4. Chihaya put on Taichi's headband, again, despite her agreeing that she would change it in a previous chapter.

If you still don't see a discrepancy (which will likely be fixed in the tankobon volumes), I recommend rereading the chapters from 159.
Estoy_GordoApr 1, 2016 12:07 AM
Apr 1, 2016 12:56 AM

Jan 2016
love the new chap.. but im more excited with the individual tournament and their reaction on Taichi's appearance on TV with the Meijin and the queen..
Apr 1, 2016 1:04 AM

Mar 2014
4kicks said:
MTKN9068 said:

First of all, the April fools things was a joke. I'm aware chapters are translated much later than the release, because duh.

Chapter 159, page 5, the extra headband in the teacher's hand noticed by Sumire has Chihaya's name on it, meant for Chihaya, meaning she was wearing Taichi's headband during her loss. The mixup is rectified in the next chapter when she is given her own headband, when the teach says she gave Chihaya the wrong headband. Teacher asks: "You want to change it now?" Chihaya says yes, saying she bad luck wearing (Taichi's) headband, and proceeds puts on her own headband, with her name on it, after she clearly takes off her previous one, as shown in my example images of chapter 160, shown putting on a new one in the 2nd image....had she put Taichi's headband on again, then Chihaya would have said no, and either disregarded or not commented about the bad luck part (which was meant to poke fun at Taichi).

Simplified: Chihaya was given the wrong headband the first time around, and lost while competing with it on. She was later given the correct one with her name, which she put on after taking off (Taichi's) saying she had no luck with (Taichi's headband). She later wins in later chapters (wearing her own goodluck headband, because the superstitions was she lost wearing Taichi's)

Fast forward 4 chapters, she takes off her headband, supposedly with her name on it, which she hasn't changed since she put it on, and lo-and-behold it has Taichi's name on it for some reason, when it it should have been Chihaya's name. Unless I'm missing something, (i.e Chihaya taking off her own headband and taking out Taichi's from say a pocket, which wasn't shown), there would have been no point in changing her headbands at all in the first place in chapter 159-160.

Sumire and Kana's surprised looks (assuming you were referring to the panel with Taichi saying "How mean of you"/The symbol of misfortune), that was them reacting to the revelation that Chihaya was wearing Taichi's headband all along, before she puts on a new headband. If you were referring to the panel with the advisor, Sumire, and Tsukuba...then again, as previously said, Chihaya would not have agreed with the advisor to change her headband.

Likely scenarios:
2. Happened off screen/panel, with Chihaya taking her own headband off, pulling out Taichi's from maybe her pocket--but ended up conveyed poorly making the misunderstanding in the readers.
4. Chihaya put on Taichi's headband, again, despite her agreeing that she would change it in a previous chapter.

If you still don't see a discrepancy (which will likely be fixed in the tankobon volumes), I recommend rereading the chapters from 159.

Nope. Even before ch 160 came out, everyone at mangafox discussed about it and concluded that she wore taichi's headband back. When she was informed by the advisor, she took it off to look at it and others mentioned taichi's bad luck (lol). Chihaya also agreed and said that she should change "it". The "it" she meant was his bad luck which she wanted to change by winning the match. So she puts it back on surprising the others. Look at her face in the next panel, she's suddenly full of fighting spirit.
Apr 1, 2016 1:25 AM

Nov 2015
4kicks said:
MTKN9068 said:

Likely scenarios:

Chihaya said yes she should change it, but still decided to put it even though she said she should change it.

You can check the earlier chapters and you will see that she is still wearing Taichi's headband. She didn't change because like I said in my previous post, she really want Taichi to be with them in their last team tournament together. She used Taichi's headband to think that he's playing with them.. Just like how she think "I can feel his presence" Physically Taichi is not with her, but he can feel his presence which gave her strength, it's the same with the headband.

This is the panel I am talking about, when Chihaya was putting her headband on, Sumire, Tsukuba? and the teacher had that surprised look. Do you think it will make sense if they looked like that if she put on her own headband?
http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v31/c160/18.html

So it's despite Chihaya saying that "She should" in the end, she didn't changed.
Thats why in the last chapter. She showed Taichi his name on that heaband and told him that he came too late. It clearly shows that she was waiting for him all this time, because she want all 5 of them to play together.

Volume 31 was already out. If it's a mistake they would've change it then.
Chihaya said " I should" and not "I would"
MTKN9068Apr 1, 2016 2:47 AM
For salty fans
Apr 1, 2016 1:25 AM

Mar 2014
finestseeker17 said:
kay91 said:

Yup, actually, I agree with you. Arata's showing some flaws is a great sign for me too. I really hope Suetsugu will focus on his development. That will make this story much more interesting and relatable for me.

About Arata's team part, I also agree that he created that team for his own personal reasons. It was pretty obvious even in the earlier chapters when he first created his team. So, I never expected him to be a leader in the first place. I was only not sure on the comforting his teammates part. He's a very kind person, it's in his nature to comfort his friends, well maybe later or Suetsugu didn't show it. But, if Suetsugu really make Arata being more selfish and only focus on his failures and his individual match without even trying to comfort his friends, then it's only getting better for me. I actually would like to see that.

I totally agree with you. I'm glad you think like me. But you know a lot of arata fans are disappointed with these developments and Japanese fans even threatened to boycott the manga after suetsugu said arata has a bit arrogant side and needs to overcome his flaws in the latest interview (read this at mangafox). I guess they care more about him getting chihaya than him growing as a person or maybe they don't want to see him having flaws and suffering. Well taichi is my fav so I'm used to the suffering lol and I would definitely prefer his character development and couldn't care less about him getting the girl.
Apr 1, 2016 4:16 AM
Nov 2015
kay91 said:
I totally agree with you. I'm glad you think like me. But you know a lot of arata fans are disappointed with these developments and Japanese fans even threatened to boycott the manga after suetsugu said arata has a bit arrogant side and needs to overcome his flaws in the latest interview (read this at mangafox). I guess they care more about him getting chihaya than him growing as a person or maybe they don't want to see him having flaws and suffering. Well taichi is my fav so I'm used to the suffering lol and I would definitely prefer his character development and couldn't care less about him getting the girl.

Eh? Really? Those crazy Japanese LOL. I think some MAL users also felt the same way XD They just didn't show it.

I don't know how far this story will go but I think it's already far enough to the point it would be a mistake if Arata doesn't have any flaws that he needs to overcome.
Apr 1, 2016 5:02 AM
Nov 2015
saki88 said:
love the new chap.. but im more excited with the individual tournament and their reaction on Taichi's appearance on TV with the Meijin and the queen..

Yup, I am also looking forward to that LOL. I hope it will be as funny as I thought XD
Apr 1, 2016 5:10 AM

Feb 2011
4kicks said:
Chapter 160:

And now ch164:

Suetsugu is not trying to pull any wool in your eyes. It's actually really surprising that there are people who didn't realized that Chihaya didn't change her headband even though she said "She should".

I don't know why... some readers must've think of Suetsugu as someone stupid... suspecting her into fooling her readers,favoring the other characters or fans. Some even resorted in bashing her on her twitter just because they didn't like what is happening in the story. Thinking that she is doing it because of favoritism.. not even thinking whether from the beginning she really have a different plan for those characters.
Apr 1, 2016 5:31 AM

Jan 2016
finestseeker17 said:
saki88 said:

Yup, I am also looking forward to that LOL. I hope it will be as funny as I thought XD

it would be really cool and im thinking Chihaya would be a bit envious with him. lol. that's what im excited about right now followed by the romantic development between Taichi and Chihaya..
Apr 1, 2016 5:38 AM

Mar 2014
finestseeker17 said:
kay91 said:

Eh? Really? Those crazy Japanese LOL. I think some MAL users also felt the same way XD They just didn't show it.

I don't know how far this story will go but I think it's already far enough to the point it would be a mistake if Arata doesn't have any flaws that he needs to overcome.

Yup! I think the editor said that almost 3/4 of the story is done. That's why I think suetsugu is gonna focus on arata in the coming arc. He's is only one out of the trio who didn't face much hardships (except his grandfather's death which was hardly touched upon).
Apr 1, 2016 8:00 AM

Mar 2014
Yay for Arata development! Lol I really do look forward to this, he needs this. When it's all said and done, I like Arata
Apr 1, 2016 8:18 AM

Jun 2007
I fiercely hope Taichi's mom saw everything. I want to see her reaction so much! For some reason...
see you, space cowperson . . .
Apr 1, 2016 11:09 PM

Jan 2008
MTKN9068 said:

Chihaya said yes she should change it, but still decided to put it even though she said she should change it.

You can check the earlier chapters and you will see that she is still wearing Taichi's headband. She didn't change because like I said in my previous post, she really want Taichi to be with them in their last team tournament together. She used Taichi's headband to think that he's playing with them.. Just like how she think "I can feel his presence" Physically Taichi is not with her, but he can feel his presence which gave her strength, it's the same with the headband.

This is the panel I am talking about, when Chihaya was putting her headband on, Sumire, Tsukuba? and the teacher had that surprised look. Do you think it will make sense if they looked like that if she put on her own headband?

So it's despite Chihaya saying that "She should" in the end, she didn't changed.
Thats why in the last chapter. She showed Taichi his name on that heaband and told him that he came too late. It clearly shows that she was waiting for him all this time, because she want all 5 of them to play together.

I see. Taking a step back and looking at it from a different angle, Chihaya was referring to not the headband itself upon being given her headband, but the luck aspect of Taichi's headband. That makes sense now (and checks off likely scenario #4). That being said however, the page you were referring to didn't show any names whatsoever in the top panel (nor anywhere else again until she takes it off to put it on Taichi upon his arrival), which is how it could have made readers such as myself, taken it literally. It was a 50/50 chance of making that assumption; with just the reactions from the characters from one panel not being enough to properly convey Chihaya's intentions--IMO.

As for the "surprised look" you were referring to, I didn't see it, and still don't see it. It was a vague enough facial expression that it could have been interpreted as "awe" of Chihaya's determination to win, recovering quickly from her loss with her (much more noticeably shocked) expression in the double-page spread with dark gloom looming over Chihaya's empty-looking eyes as the winners/losers results were being announced. ....rather than the intended response to being surprised that she puts on Taichi's headband to change (not the headband itself), but the her own/Taichi's luck with the strong bond/trust of teammates.

Had Suetsugu (or assistants) properly put one more hint, like a single kanji on the headband on the top panel of chapter 160, page 18--it would have made all the difference. That criticism of not being conveyed properly, I stand still by.

Thank you for clarifying that up by the way.
Apr 2, 2016 12:46 AM

Jun 2007
4kicks said:

That being said however, the page you were referring to didn't show any names whatsoever in the top panel (nor anywhere else again until she takes it off to put it on Taichi upon his arrival)

It was revealed in the previous chapter http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v31/c163/19.html
But hey! Guys! mangaka did all of this to be not 100% clear ON PURPOSE - so don't worry! It's all more interesting this way right? I actually enjoy a lot that she leaves something for us to think about and notice ourselves, not puts everything bluntly.
Apr 2, 2016 1:48 AM

Jan 2008
Sorvarin said:
4kicks said:

That being said however, the page you were referring to didn't show any names whatsoever in the top panel (nor anywhere else again until she takes it off to put it on Taichi upon his arrival)

It was revealed in the previous chapter http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v31/c163/19.html
But hey! Guys! mangaka did all of this to be not 100% clear ON PURPOSE - so don't worry! It's all more interesting this way right? I actually enjoy a lot that she leaves something for us to think about and notice ourselves, not puts everything bluntly.

What the--dammit. That's what I get for using not zooming in or not reading in full screen.
Apr 2, 2016 3:23 AM

Jun 2007
4kicks, lol didn't notice it at first too.. and then someone pointed that out in the previous discussion thread!
Apr 2, 2016 3:33 AM

Nov 2015
4kicks said:
MTKN9068 said:

I see. Taking a step back and looking at it from a different angle, Chihaya was referring to not the headband itself upon being given her headband, but the luck aspect of Taichi's headband. That makes sense now (and checks off likely scenario #4). That being said however, the page you were referring to didn't show any names whatsoever in the top panel (nor anywhere else again until she takes it off to put it on Taichi upon his arrival), which is how it could have made readers such as myself, taken it literally. It was a 50/50 chance of making that assumption; with just the reactions from the characters from one panel not being enough to properly convey Chihaya's intentions--IMO.

As for the "surprised look" you were referring to, I didn't see it, and still don't see it. It was a vague enough facial expression that it could have been interpreted as "awe" of Chihaya's determination to win, recovering quickly from her loss with her (much more noticeably shocked) expression in the double-page spread with dark gloom looming over Chihaya's empty-looking eyes as the winners/losers results were being announced. ....rather than the intended response to being surprised that she puts on Taichi's headband to change (not the headband itself), but the her own/Taichi's luck with the strong bond/trust of teammates.

Had Suetsugu (or assistants) properly put one more hint, like a single kanji on the headband on the top panel of chapter 160, page 18--it would have made all the difference. That criticism of not being conveyed properly, I stand still by.

Thank you for clarifying that up by the way.
Yes. I think we saw it differently. When Chihaya put the headband back on.Some readers thought that she put her own headband but some thought she put Taichi's headband. It was only confirmed that she put Taichi's headband on the moment she saw Taichi.

It's the same on how, during the first half of Chihaya and Arata's match, she also didn't reveal which cards were being read. They just keep on taking cards but we don't know which cards were they.

She wasn't pulling any wool in our eyes. She did that on purpose.
For salty fans
Apr 2, 2016 11:58 AM
Mar 2015
A Great chapter. The prodigal son is welcomed home with open arms by Chihaya and Mizusawa. Chihaya's words were one's Taichi used to scold her when she was late for Team Chihayafuru's match

Arata is mad because he wanted the three of them to play together just like Team Chihaayafuru In his eyes Taichi ruined it by not being there

Hyoro found his inspiration to win in Taichi. Great celebration for Sudo and Yukari

Poor Rion She worked so hard for Sakurazawa.
Apr 4, 2016 3:34 PM

Jun 2014
ALL THE FEELS IN THIS CHAP OMG!!!!!!!!

so happy to finally see mizusawa's reaction to taichi :) can't wait to see what happens next. it was very bitterweet tho, since like they said in the manga, it was the end... their last chance to play as a team... last chance to play with each other, and taichi missed it all. that seriously broke my heart.

I was verryyy happy to see hyoro's win!!! that guy really deserves it, and like him, I was happy that taichi was there to witness his win. it was a lil sad for rion's team, but the tokyo school really deserved it.

It was nice to see some of arata's weakness and his loss. he's typically such a calm and composed character, but this rage really showed that he is "real", and I think it showed his love for chihaya (LOL bcuz chihaya seeemed to have chosen taichi tho, god bless) it was too bad his whole team lost tho, that must have hit him hard. but it is their first team tournament so 4th is not bad!!

absolutely cant wait for the individuals!! hopefully we can see taichi play..... and see arata once again dominate the court! I wonder how the queen will play. hopefully she is in full health this time around so that we can see her true abilities!
Apr 16, 2016 2:17 PM

Aug 2012
So happy for Hyoro, this was his arc all along lol
Apr 17, 2016 1:30 PM
Apr 2016
Hyoro won... Even if I never liked his character that much, it still makes me happy. I don't really care about Fujisaki losing, either. I didn't like how Taichi ended up being welcomed by everyone... I would be mad at him if I was part of their karuta club! You don't just abandon your team and then go back and are received as a lost son. Yet, I like that he went back to Chihaya. Yes, I'm being selfish for her, I know Taichi has to move on, as well as Arata, but I want the three of them to be together as friends, and, of course, I want Arata to end up with Chihaya, even if it feels wrong because of Taichi's feelings. Can someone tell me where to find the next chapter? I don't seem to find it. I've seen a discussion forum already, tough, and I'm trying not to read the comments before the chapter. :)
Apr 17, 2016 4:59 PM

Dec 2015
SaeYu said:
Hyoro won... Even if I never liked his character that much, it still makes me happy. I don't really care about Fujisaki losing, either. I didn't like how Taichi ended up being welcomed by everyone... I would be mad at him if I was part of their karuta club! You don't just abandon your team and then go back and are received as a lost son. Yet, I like that he went back to Chihaya. Yes, I'm being selfish for her, I know Taichi has to move on, as well as Arata, but I want the three of them to be together as friends, and, of course, I want Arata to end up with Chihaya, even if it feels wrong because of Taichi's feelings. Can someone tell me where to find the next chapter? I don't seem to find it. I've seen a discussion forum already, tough, and I'm trying not to read the comments before the chapter. :)

It hasn't been translated yet, just raws and summary

Apr 19, 2016 4:19 AM
Mar 2016
Taichi being welcomed by his team is not really weird unlike what everyone thought.
Like what I said in the previous chapter, there is a bond that they have formed during the years that they played together as a team. It is a bond that cannot easily break. That's why, him being welcomed by his team is not really wrong.

Think about this Hyoro never won but even if he keep losing, no one on his team blamed him for their lost. Why? Because they understand how hard he work for his team. There is a bond that only team members will understand.

That's why no one is blaming Taichi. They saw how hard he worked for his team. During the years that they trained together, play together, lose together and win together, Taichi was able to make a bond with them.

Arata who is not part of that team didn't understand that and so he put the blame on him which is wrong. He don't know the real situation, his team never blamed Taichi, not even Chihaya. If no one on his team blamed Taichi, then who is he to blame him? He is an outsider so he do not have the right to blame him. Although it's good thing that he realized his mistake.

Chihaya treating Taichi like that is also not wrong. More than anyone else on their team Chihaya and Taichi are the one who have the strongest bond together. Since she and Taichi worked hard together - even she know it " This is the boy who has been doing his best together with me all this time" http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v20/c104/17.html
When she was down Taichi was with her, when she was starting to doubt herself Taichi was with her, when she lose Taichi was with her, when she win Taichi is also with her. That's why even though Nishida knew that she rejected Taichi, when Taichi came he was so eager to let Chihaya know that Taichi came.

There is a bond that Chihaya and Taichi have, that no one- not even Arata can easily break.
subarashiniApr 19, 2016 4:24 AM
Apr 26, 2016 7:34 AM
Apr 2016
Anyone know how long has it been since Taichi's confession? For some reason I'm bit worry.

I used to ship Chihaichi but now i don't think i am anymore. I don't even want them to be friends, at least not until Taichi has moved on. Because if he hasn't, their "friendship" will eventually turns toxic for both of them especially for Taichi. Some hoping that after Taichi's feeling out in the open Chihaya will start to look at him differently and reevaluating her feeling for both guys. Maybe she will but maybe she won't. And Taichi being around will only drain him physically and emotionally if he still carry some torch for her. So please, let them stay separate for now.

Or in the next chapter when they finally have a talk, let Taichi asks Chihaya what does she want from him clearly. If it's pure friendship then i hope Taichi will ask for some time until he's ready to do just that. But if Chihaya couldn't decide -maybe because she's unsure of her feeling-then let her asks Taichi for time to sort her feeling out. At least that way both of them know what they got themselves into.
Apr 26, 2016 5:17 PM

Feb 2011
missaima said:
Anyone know how long has it been since Taichi's confession? For some reason I'm bit worry.

I used to ship Chihaichi but now i don't think i am anymore. I don't even want them to be friends, at least not until Taichi has moved on. Because if he hasn't, their "friendship" will eventually turns toxic for both of them especially for Taichi. Some hoping that after Taichi's feeling out in the open Chihaya will start to look at him differently and reevaluating her feeling for both guys. Maybe she will but maybe she won't. And Taichi being around will only drain him physically and emotionally if he still carry some torch for her. So please, let them stay separate for now.

Or in the next chapter when they finally have a talk, let Taichi asks Chihaya what does she want from him clearly. If it's pure friendship then i hope Taichi will ask for some time until he's ready to do just that. But if Chihaya couldn't decide -maybe because she's unsure of her feeling-then let her asks Taichi for time to sort her feeling out. At least that way both of them know what they got themselves into.

Are you talking about time in Chihayafuru world or our world? lol

If it's in our time, Taichi's confession came few years ago.
If it's in Chihayafuru time, it's just few months ago - approximately 5 -6 months ago.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Problem with this manga.

Suiely_c-ute - Mar 22

3 by Suiely_c-ute »»
Mar 28, 7:51 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 247 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MaahHeim - Jul 31, 2022

197 by chiakimagoto »»
Mar 18, 1:31 AM

» Chihayafuru Sequel - Chihayafuru plus - kimi ga tame announced

ItzElite - Oct 31, 2023

19 by CelticMindset »»
Jan 2, 3:34 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 205 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2018

79 by Zooincle »»
Oct 31, 2023 9:39 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 134 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2014

15 by Zooincle »»
Oct 29, 2023 9:23 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.