Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 10, 2016 9:42 AM

Jun 2015
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
While we're getting close to the end (and second season is yet to be translated), Oka is about the join the upper leagues. Also Toudou so honest.
Aug 17, 2016 12:35 AM

Oct 2012
Todou confession outta nowhere.
Oct 14, 2016 10:03 PM

Apr 2014
i don't want her to copy Toudou's style of play. like maybe she can gather inspiration from it and put her own twist on it

ughhhghg it would be so much fun to have this as multiple season sports anime where we watch her grow and become a professional tennis player
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 23, 2017 5:03 PM

May 2016
"Hey, freakishly fit person on a borderline insane training regime who is aspiring to be a professional tennis player, that bag is heavy, let me carry it for you."

Welp, for a 26 episodes long anime that came out in 1973 this one came far enough without blatant sexism. Still, was four more episodes too much to ask for?

"This is our first trial. If we are defeated here, all of my plans, all of my dreams, will vanish!"

Holy shit, the dude's trying to raise a world champion. Does he want Hiromi to accomplish something he couldn't during his career?

"Oka, this is only the beginning of your suffering."

Well, I can't say that I am surprised by this. That other coach doesn't understand that Munakata doesn't mind crushing Hiromi's body and mind if there is a chance of turning her into a truly great player. Is that the right thing to do? Probably not, but the series doesn't make that judgement, and in the coach's mind it doesn't really matter whether something is right or not - all that matters is that it will result in great tennis.

"Please, teach me what my tennis is like! I don't want to lose to anyone."

There is greatness in this series, and that is why I hate it when it falters. This episode was dedicated to showing the viewer Hiromi's realization of what exactly it means to compete, and after understanding the insanity that is a professional athlete's life Hiromi opts to EMBRACE it. For better or worse, tennis is what she has now - gone is the normal life of a teenager klutz. If this series can say this much without resorting to clumsy exposition, why are there terrible (and I mean TERRIBLE) episodes in the middle of it?
Lease_of_LifeJan 27, 2017 9:04 PM
"I will become his world and will make him my world" - You really should know who said this.

"Firing at unarmed citizens is a feat that those without courage and a chivalrous spirit simply cannot accomplish." - Oskar von Reuenthal

"No way Spirited Away is better than Akira. NO WAY." - Kanye West
Jun 8, 2017 6:10 AM
Aug 2014
So used to modern anime dragging those declarations out that it didn't even fully register with me when Toudou confessed.
Aug 26, 2017 4:22 AM

Dec 2015
Great episode:
- Munakata finally "says out loud" (to the audience at´least) what he's aiming for, clearly compensating for his shorten career. Maybe we'll eventually learn what pushed him out.
- And Hiromi awakens herself to some important truths.

5/5

Lease_of_Life said:
Hiromi opts to EMBRACE it. For better or worse, tennis is what she has now - gone is the normal life of a teenager klutz.

Seeing how the épinards went, I was expecting Tôdô to confess his crush during the camp. It would have been the "ultimate" step for Hiromi to reject it and finally give up her last "highschool girl's thing" and possible obstruction to a youth entirely dedicated to tennis. If the last scene here was really the confession, I am disappointed that she actually didn't make a choice.

Dec 27, 2017 8:14 PM

Nov 2016
We finally learn the reason for Munakatas harsh trainings regime, nice.

Storywise it definitely gets more interesting from here.

Just hope Hiromi doesn't break.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 24, 2021 8:56 AM

Jun 2014
Hiromi is definitely getting put to the test here. The coach is trying to train her to be the absolute best. While the coach was talking, they showed random tennis players, including one with glasses. Could that have been Billie Jean King?

Also, Toudou has told Hiromi his feelings.

Dec 11, 2022 9:56 PM

Jun 2010
The car that almost hits Hiromi has "MAD" in all capital letters on its front fender and the rear. Must be a reference to MAD magazine:

There seems to be a note from the production visible in the fog over the lake in the last shot before the usual "to be continued" screen before the credits. Indeed, I think that's what it's referring to although I can't read it:
FronzelApr 27, 2023 12:42 PM
Dec 13, 2022 11:05 AM

Oct 2019
Fronzel said:
The car that almost hits Hiromi has "MAD" in all capital letters on its front fender and the rear. Must be a reference to MAD magazine

nope, that's "Madhouse" - they bring up studio name in random places multiple times in this series

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ace wo Nerae! Episode 4 Discussion

MyLonesomeCowboy - Oct 18, 2013

10 by ArtimesGamer »»
Mar 26, 10:32 PM

Poll: » Ace wo Nerae! Episode 3 Discussion

MyLonesomeCowboy - Oct 18, 2013

11 by ArtimesGamer »»
Mar 26, 9:57 PM

Poll: » Ace wo Nerae! Episode 26 Discussion

Seabury - Mar 5, 2012

18 by SlammyHammy »»
Jan 27, 10:44 PM

Poll: » Ace wo Nerae! Episode 20 Discussion

Unowen - Mar 7, 2016

5 by johneaston »»
Nov 2, 2023 10:46 AM

Poll: » Ace wo Nerae! Episode 18 Discussion

Unowen - Mar 6, 2016

7 by Fronzel »»
Dec 8, 2022 10:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.