Forum Settings
Forums

Do you care about anime Directors, Writers and Animators and other Staff?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 23, 2016 9:36 AM

Jan 2016
malki said:
I already saw this video..and it bring nothing new to the table tbh..we all know that a bunch of Madhouse staff either become freelancers or moved to other studio after the bankruptcy..but that wasnt the point, the point is..good studio means good staff (in-house or freelancers) working under good conditio and good sechudling, and thats means good adaption..and thats why most if not all of madhouse manga adaptations are faithful to its source material no matter who the staff are..
and dont even make me start shitposting about his other retarded video about how madhouse did NOTHING in OPM..I dont think he even know what "animation studio" means..he basically think that Madhouse after the bankruptcy became just the name of a building where animators do there work..I could turn my garage into an animation studio better than madhouse by those standars..XD

Hmmm... even the head honchos who made the projects possible in the 00's were gone. Basically, Madhouse lost what makes it Madhouse after their main founder left it.And several more left it.

Uh... I don't know if Madhouse after bankruptcy was really ever "faithful" the manga(which I don't really care about) outside Hunter x Hunter though. I see complaints about Mahouka, NGNL... etc.

(P.S Madhouse is my favorite studio before and after bankruptcy..)
Feb 23, 2016 9:39 AM

Aug 2010
Never paid attention to any of those things now that I think about it, even if I like something I will not check out it's staff or what studio did it. I know a couple of anime studios and some shows they did but that wasn't even found out by me wanting to know, I just randomly saw it in threads on this site.

"One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss. And the one who inherits the title of Boss will face an existence of endless battle."

Feb 23, 2016 9:44 AM

Jan 2015
CapitalistGod said:
remmi_demmi said:
Yes, after that flaming hot garbage that was Charlotte, I'm staying well clear of any more of author/director/script writer/theme tune composer/jack-of-all-trades Jun Maeda's works. I refuse to think PA Works had anything to do with it.

Oh.... so you don't believe that if it's a 26 episode show... it'll be better?

Oh I dropped it at ep 6 i think, so not sure if the show eventually picks up by the end, so my bad if it ever does. I just couldn't take the cringe any more, I guess, awful writing.
Feb 23, 2016 9:47 AM

Jan 2016
remmi_demmi said:
CapitalistGod said:

Oh.... so you don't believe that if it's a 26 episode show... it'll be better?

Oh I dropped it at ep 6 i think, so not sure if the show eventually picks up by the end, so my bad if it ever does. I just couldn't take the cringe any more, I guess, awful writing.

Dropping it in ep. 6 would justify your first post...lol

Basically, if you finished it and wished it was longer(because last few episodes can be an entire 13 episode how)... the blame will eventually fall to P.A Works. Because they keep giving Maeda one cour shows..
Feb 23, 2016 9:54 AM

Jun 2014
For the most part I only pay attention to the voice actors and music creators. I know the other staff are very important, but I'm more interested in the voice acting and music. Maybe because those are aspects I'm personally interested in and they're pretty in your face. While a writer or directors touch is a bit more subtle.
Feb 23, 2016 9:58 AM

Nov 2008
Sometimes but I usually focus on the voice cast and who sings the OP and ED which are more important to me.

Feb 23, 2016 10:00 AM

Jun 2013
The only director I cared about is not with us anymore, sadly.
But yeah, Satoshi Kon made some beautiful movies.

As for other staff, I have a weak for anime with Megumi Hayashibara in it. I guess I still have it as one of my goals to watch as many anime as possible with characters voiced by Megumi Hayashibara.
She is great as Lina Inverse, Musashi and Himiko Shinobibe.
~Where's Gnasty Gnorc? I'll torch him!~
Feb 23, 2016 10:06 AM

Jan 2015
CapitalistGod said:
remmi_demmi said:

Dropping it in ep. 6 would justify your first post...lol

Basically, if you finished it and wished it was longer(because last few episodes can be an entire 13 episode how)... the blame will eventually fall to P.A Works. Because they keep giving Maeda one cour shows..

Suppose that's another way of looking at it :)

I blame JM for turning what could have been a funny light-hearted supernatural comedy (with good animation) into Madoka and sinking the ship.
Feb 23, 2016 10:09 AM
Jul 2018
I just care about music composers. Even the shittiest anime will be a must watch if one of my favorite composers is involved on it.

In addition, I'll definitely try out the most hyped anime, just to see if they deserve their hype (unfortunately, 80% of them fail miserably).
Feb 23, 2016 10:11 AM

Oct 2015
An established writer, director, studio etc. always helps, but you never know when a new one can emerge with a great anime, so I give anyone a chance if their work looks good.
Feb 23, 2016 10:12 AM

Sep 2013
CapitalistGod said:
malki said:
I already saw this video..and it bring nothing new to the table tbh..we all know that a bunch of Madhouse staff either become freelancers or moved to other studio after the bankruptcy..but that wasnt the point, the point is..good studio means good staff (in-house or freelancers) working under good conditio and good sechudling, and thats means good adaption..and thats why most if not all of madhouse manga adaptations are faithful to its source material no matter who the staff are..
and dont even make me start shitposting about his other retarded video about how madhouse did NOTHING in OPM..I dont think he even know what "animation studio" means..he basically think that Madhouse after the bankruptcy became just the name of a building where animators do there work..I could turn my garage into an animation studio better than madhouse by those standars..XD

Hmmm... even the head honchos who made the projects possible in the 00's were gone. Basically, Madhouse lost what makes it Madhouse after their main founder left it.And several more left it.

Uh... I don't know if Madhouse after bankruptcy was really ever "faithful" the manga(which I don't really care about) outside Hunter x Hunter though. I see complaints about Mahouka, NGNL... etc.

(P.S Madhouse is my favorite studio before and after bankruptcy..)
Mhouka and NGNL are Light Novel adaptations..Madhouse was never good with Light Novel adaptations even before ths bankruptcy..actually mahouka and NGNL are good compared to some of their previous works..anyway...I was talking about manga adaptaions..I even wrote it in a bold line..

"Madhouse lost what makes it Madhouse after their main founder left it.And several more left it. "

I wouldnt say they lost completly what makes them who they are, just part of it..like Satoshi kon and mamoru hosoda's films..ect..
before the bankruptcy Masao Maruyama was the head of Madhouse..he was a big part of Madhouse because he produced some non-profitable anime that no other studio will ever touch..however..Madhouse stopped working with this policy after NTV bought it which made Maruyama left the studio..BUT..there is a buch of Madhouse workers who were working in it before the bankruptcy and STILL working in it right now and keeping the legacy of the old madhouse..
in short..the deffirence between the old Madhouse and the new one isn't the quality of the adaptions..but the number of them a year and the kind of the source materials..
kanarazukarasuFeb 23, 2016 10:16 AM
Feb 23, 2016 10:20 AM

Jun 2015
Absolutely, as having knowledge of the staff has become one of my favorite aspects of observing anime critically. Over my time watching anime, I've found it instrumental to know the creative forces behind the series/films I watch, as it gives a complete picture as to how and why the production was created. I also just find it intrinsically fascinating to observe the creation process, especially the early concept art, storyboards, cinematography, direction, and early animation tests. I have this same critical interest with other mediums as well, such as video-games and films.

Some of my favorite anime directors include:

- Hideaki Anno (Evangelion, one of the most personal and artistic directors I've ever watched)
- Hayao Miyazaki (Ghibli, incredible talent for relating pure human emotion in characters and world)
- Mamoru Hosoda (Wolf Children, pure human emotion and excellent cinematography)
- Mamoru Oshii (Ghost in the Shell, existentialism ideas presented with striking visuals)
Feb 23, 2016 10:22 AM

Sep 2014
malki said:

in short..the deffirence between the old Madhouse and the new one isn't the quality of the adaptions..but the number of them a year and the kind of the source materials..

Trust me, it has everything to do with the quality of the adaptations. Terrible animations and butchered cinematography weren't what the old madhouse used to create.
Feb 23, 2016 10:47 AM

Sep 2013
Hrybami said:
malki said:

Trust me, it has everything to do with the quality of the adaptations. Terrible animations and butchered cinematography weren't what the old madhouse used to create.
Welp..look who's here..
I would trust you..if not for this post
Hrybami said:
Madhouse have almost never delivered a good adaptation. The only good adaptation they did that came to my mind is Aoi Bungaku Series. Otherwise, everything they produced were pure disappointment.
you say that madhouse was always shit..not only the new one..
oh..this is the third time I quote it..congrats..you are the most dedicated Madhouse shitposter in MAL..
Feb 23, 2016 10:50 AM

Jun 2015
I only care about Mangakas and Seiyus.
Seiya0890 said:
But its still disgusting from my point of view, and from the word's point of view, therefore its disgusting.

Wise words.
Feb 23, 2016 10:52 AM

Jan 2013
Nope.
The staff can basically be anyone, if the source material is the right one. Voice actors are my only exception. They can really make or break a character.
Feb 23, 2016 11:52 AM

Feb 2011
Hmm, yes. I tend to shy away from Miyazaki and Shinichiro Watanabe (ironic because Watanabe is the only director Ive met in rl) because I dislike almost all their works. Disliked Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, pretty much every Ghibli movie...and of the few things i liked or was okay with...Future Boy Conan and maybe Kids on the Slope
Feb 23, 2016 12:31 PM

Jan 2014
Not particularly, but I take note of the standouts.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Feb 23, 2016 12:37 PM

Nov 2014
> Do you care about anime Directors, Writers and Animators and other Staff?

Yep. Without them, there wouldn't be a story, visuals, or music.

> If so, do you actively watch the things that is done by your favorites?

I'm trying to watch more of the titles with work by Hiroyuki Okiura (legendary key animator), Akiyuki Shinbou (director), and Yuki Kajiura (composer).
Feb 23, 2016 10:15 PM

Jan 2016
malki said:
Mhouka and NGNL are Light Novel adaptations..Madhouse was never good with Light Novel adaptations even before ths bankruptcy..actually mahouka and NGNL are good compared to some of their previous works..anyway...I was talking about manga adaptaions..I even wrote it in a bold line..

"Madhouse lost what makes it Madhouse after their main founder left it.And several more left it. "

I wouldnt say they lost completly what makes them who they are, just part of it..like Satoshi kon and mamoru hosoda's films..ect..
before the bankruptcy Masao Maruyama was the head of Madhouse..he was a big part of Madhouse because he produced some non-profitable anime that no other studio will ever touch..however..Madhouse stopped working with this policy after NTV bought it which made Maruyama left the studio..BUT..there is a buch of Madhouse workers who were working in it before the bankruptcy and STILL working in it right now and keeping the legacy of the old madhouse..

Yeah, fair enough... but talent wise they lost a lot and that showed in the quality of work. Even getting the right projects would be considered a talent too.
Feb 24, 2016 2:19 AM

May 2015
CondemneDio said:
Nope.
The staff can basically be anyone, if the source material is the right one. Voice actors are my only exception. They can really make or break a character.

Good source material doesn't automatically leads to good anime. The director/writer need to adapt it to the animated medium. They can't just copy-paste.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 24, 2016 2:24 AM

Jan 2013
TheBrainintheJar said:
CondemneDio said:
Nope.

Good source material doesn't automatically leads to good anime. The director/writer need to adapt it to the animated medium. They can't just copy-paste.

Yes, but the likelihood of it becoming a good anime are quite high when compared to one that has a shitty source material.
Feb 24, 2016 4:56 AM
Sep 2011
I've never really paid attention to who writes or directs a show unless it's someone with a specific reputation, usually one involving making very gritty or mind screwy shows. Examples being Gen Urobuchi, Chiaki Konaka and Kunihiko Ikuhara.

And now thanks to Cross Ange I can add Mitsuo Fukada to that list. I didn't know who he was at the time, but I had heard that he was the main reason people were apprehensive about the show.
RLinksoulFeb 24, 2016 5:02 AM
Feb 24, 2016 5:01 AM

Aug 2015
Only when I see news of something I know getting an adaption. Good way of managing ones expectations.
Feb 24, 2016 10:57 AM

Mar 2012
No.

No director/animator can make a good anime if the source material is bad, or if the budget is insufficient etc.
Feb 24, 2016 11:00 AM

Aug 2007
I really don't care about who directed, write or animated the anime that I watch. Sometimes I worry only about seiyuus, but only sometimes.

I make decisipns about if a review goods good for me, no worring about Person A or person B is the director.
Feb 24, 2016 11:00 AM

Oct 2014
There are some directors that have a certefied seal of quality such as Satoshi Kon (RIP), Miyazaki and Masaski Yuasa.
You can also look at anime studios in the same way, it's way more likely that an anime made by Madhouse will be good than an anime made by A-1 Pictures.
Feb 24, 2016 11:02 AM

Oct 2014
remmi_demmi said:
Yes, after that flaming hot garbage that was Charlotte, I'm staying well clear of any more of author/director/script writer/theme tune composer/jack-of-all-trades Jun Maeda's works. I refuse to think PA Works had anything to do with it.
Both Jun Maeda and P.A. Works both sucked before Charlotte. Maeda is a great composer but he already proved that he can't write for shit with Angel Beats and P.A. Works has anime like Another and again Angel Beats. A good show (Shirobako?) doesn't automatically save a studio.
Feb 24, 2016 11:06 AM
Jul 2015
I think most people care about the animation studio but I don't know many. I do like a few directors though.
Feb 24, 2016 11:09 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
I'm going watch something interesting regardless of who's involved in making it
Feb 24, 2016 11:52 AM
Aug 2015
Actually one of the reasons that makes me watch an anime is the staff.

For example am ready to watch anything that Yuki Kajiura worked on.

My favorite director is Satoshi Kon, his movies are really great, Also there's Miyazaki Hayao, the legendary Ghibli's director.

Urobuchi Gen and Urasawa Naoki are my favorites as writers.

Also I love Jun Maeda, Anno Hideaki and Maruyama Masao.
Feb 24, 2016 12:56 PM

Jan 2015
Gluzin said:
remmi_demmi said:
Both Jun Maeda and P.A. Works both sucked before Charlotte. Maeda is a great composer but he already proved that he can't write for shit with Angel Beats and P.A. Works has anime like Another and again Angel Beats. A good show (Shirobako?) doesn't automatically save a studio.

Oh I'm not fretting about PA. They're only getting better and Shirobako was both a BD and critical success, and Charlotte did pretty well too. I don''t mind if they have a few ghastly shows here and there if that allows them room for masterworks (imo) coming out from nowhere (or even out of PA's founder's brain) like Shirobako and Eccentric Family.
Feb 24, 2016 1:35 PM

Oct 2012
Yes, I enjoy following the works Satoshi Kon (or use to ;_;), Oshii, and Production IG X Madhouse works. If nothing else I think it's interesting to find patterns in the works done by the same people and groups.

Feb 24, 2016 5:38 PM

Jan 2016
Khalan said:
No.

No director/animator can make a good anime if the source material is bad, or if the budget is insufficient etc.

Hmmm... how bout those anime that doesn't require a source material or what you can call originals?

I won't really dismiss a director's touch.

My favorite director, Imaishi, created Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill without a souce material.

Even one of the masterpieces Evangelion was a brainchild of Hideaki Anno too.

(both faced some budget issues too.)

Yeah... they certainly can.

As for animators... I can't dismiss the talents behind it. They're the ones that puts life to anime. No matter the budget... I do think a talented animator can wing it and make it work.
Feb 24, 2016 5:47 PM

Mar 2008
CapitalistGod said:
Hmmm... how bout those anime that doesn't require a source material or what you can call originals?

My favorite director, Imaishi, created Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill without a souce material.

I was recently reminded of this the other day, but why do TTGL and KlK fans seem to give so little credit to the writer?
Feb 24, 2016 5:54 PM

Jan 2016
Ckan said:
CapitalistGod said:

I was recently reminded of this the other day, but why do TTGL and KlK fans seem to give so little credit to the writer?

Well... I do credit the staff of both anime for job well done... since they're basically the same. A writer can only do enough in a medium where it's essentially visual storytelling. It's the director's job to mesh it well... which Imaishi did splendidly.
Feb 24, 2016 5:59 PM

Oct 2014
CapitalistGod said:
Gen Urobuchi for the writers.... and I don't go out of my way to watch his works...but whenever I do I'm always impressed.
You filthy casual!

thisisthelimitbreaker
What Kabaneri Did Wrong:
- Edgelord protagonist
- Special snowflake girlfriend
- Giving humans powers
- Failing to create a unique/memorable setting

What Kabaneri Did Right:
Feb 24, 2016 6:00 PM

Jan 2016
Horatio_Nelson said:
CapitalistGod said:
Gen Urobuchi for the writers.... and I don't go out of my way to watch his works...but whenever I do I'm always impressed.
You filthy casual!

thisisthelimitbreaker

What? He writes interesting stuff well... I'll be a filthy casual then, just to appreciate that. xD
Feb 24, 2016 6:04 PM

May 2015
I do care. After all, they're the ones making the anime.
"Because people don't have wings.. We look for ways to fly."
Feb 24, 2016 6:05 PM

Oct 2014
CapitalistGod said:
Horatio_Nelson said:
You filthy casual!

thisisthelimitbreaker

What? He writes interesting stuff well... I'll be a filthy casual then, just to appreciate that. xD
The main reason I said that was to reference ThatAnimeSnob, an anime reviewer who hates Urobuchi. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Urobuchi, but I do respect him as a writer. I just wish he'd wirte better characters.
What Kabaneri Did Wrong:
- Edgelord protagonist
- Special snowflake girlfriend
- Giving humans powers
- Failing to create a unique/memorable setting

What Kabaneri Did Right:
Feb 24, 2016 6:08 PM

Jan 2016
Horatio_Nelson said:

The main reason I said that was to reference ThatAnimeSnob, an anime reviewer who hates Urobuchi. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Urobuchi, but I do respect him as a writer. I just wish he'd wirte better characters.[/quote]

He does write good characters. I do want my characters to have an ideology, so that may be why I believe that.
Feb 24, 2016 9:51 PM

May 2015
CondemneDio said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Yes, but the likelihood of it becoming a good anime are quite high when compared to one that has a shitty source material.

Sure, but even a good director can make a great anime out of crappy source material. A good director will find the flaws and fix them. Staying loyal to the source is stupid. A good director/writer will make changes that will improve the story.
Feb 24, 2016 9:56 PM

Jan 2013
TheBrainintheJar said:
CondemneDio said:

Sure, but even a good director can make a great anime out of crappy source material. A good director will find the flaws and fix them. Staying loyal to the source is stupid. A good director/writer will make changes that will improve the story.

Hmm, I kinda agree and kinda disagree. Sure, the director/writer can make it better, or worse. Alienating the anime too far from its source material can also be a good thing, or a bad thing.
Guess I'm not just one to take into account the staff behind the anime :D
Feb 24, 2016 10:04 PM

Jan 2016
Nope. I watch anime series based on its own merit. Just because some famous people made it doesn't mean it's good.
Feb 24, 2016 10:18 PM

Jan 2016
SwordsmanK said:
Nope. I watch anime series based on its own merit. Just because some famous people made it doesn't mean it's good.

You can expect quality from the people behind the things you like though. Am I wrong?
Feb 25, 2016 2:52 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
No, I don't care and I don't want to care about them.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Feb 25, 2016 6:11 AM

Oct 2014
remmi_demmi said:
Gluzin said:

Oh I'm not fretting about PA. They're only getting better and Shirobako was both a BD and critical success, and Charlotte did pretty well too. I don''t mind if they have a few ghastly shows here and there if that allows them room for masterworks (imo) coming out from nowhere (or even out of PA's founder's brain) like Shirobako and Eccentric Family.
Don't get me wrong, I would love for P.A. to become a better studio, I'm sure that they can do it. The more good studios the better for the industry as a whole.
Feb 25, 2016 6:17 AM
Aug 2014
I do care for seiyuus only. But the whole gang behind an anime should receive credits too.
Feb 25, 2016 6:21 AM
Aug 2014
I do care for seiyuus only. But I believe the whole gang behind the anime should receive credits too.
Feb 25, 2016 9:23 AM

May 2015
CondemneDio said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Hmm, I kinda agree and kinda disagree. Sure, the director/writer can make it better, or worse. Alienating the anime too far from its source material can also be a good thing, or a bad thing.
Guess I'm not just one to take into account the staff behind the anime :D

I guess it's because unlike many people, I don't consider loyalty to the source material important. In fact, I prefer it to be different than the source material. Why tell the same story twice? The staff should use the new medium to add something the original medium didn't lack.

The prime example is Fight Club. The book is a classic, but the film added more - a unique soundtrack, great acting, cinematography and so forth. It didn't seek to just re-tell the film but tell it in a way a novel can't.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 7 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
1 minute ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 4 hours ago

20 by aikaflip »»
5 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 6 hours ago

35 by aikaflip »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 8 hours ago

33 by aikaflip »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - Yesterday

45 by Coaghim »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.