Forum Settings
Forums

Is sugar really the cause of the obesity epidemic and thoughts

New
is sugar the main cause of obesity in America?
Feb 1, 2016 11:22 AM

May 2014
So recently I was shown this relatively new Netflix documentary called 'Fed up', basically its a politically motivated film that focuses on explaining how Americans have been approaching the weight loss technique all wrong to fight obesity and that instead of reducing on fat consumption they need to reduce their sugar consumption and tries to pin it on the corporations.

Now I'm not gonna lie I felt skeptical so I did some research and this article came up
https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/does-the-movie-fed-up-make-sense/

Basically it outlines the faults in this kind of research and how easily it jumps to conclusions and also uses false facts to support itself

Anyway what do you think? is sugar the main cause of obesity in America?
I've been here way too long...
Feb 1, 2016 11:28 AM

Feb 2015
No just not balancing how much you eat or when you eat combined with either slower metabolism or just not physical active is any way.
Feb 1, 2016 11:29 AM

Nov 2013
I doubt it to be so, i do not live in America so i am not sure, but first world country should be dominated by lets call it - sitting job, plus fast live style. I would presume that it's more likely from fast foods and lack of physically active acts on the daily basis, but with my lack of knowledge of American culture i might be wrong about it.

Also you might wanna change title of this as it could be read as implying that sugar is the cause of thoughts. ^^
Signature was not removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Tulip & Flower Guidelines.
Feb 1, 2016 11:29 AM

Feb 2010
i eat a lot of sweets since childhood and still skinny so i guess sugar not the cause of overweight.
Feb 1, 2016 11:32 AM

May 2014
GhostOutOfShell said:
I doubt it to be so, i do not live in America so i am not sure, but first world country should be dominated by lets call it - sitting job, plus fast live style. I would presume that it's more likely from fast foods and lack of physically active acts on the daily basis, but with my lack of knowledge of American culture i might be wrong about it.

Also you might wanna change title of this as it could be read as implying that sugar is the cause of thoughts. ^^

I agree with you and think the same but find it highly amusing that Americans in the documentary were genuinely confused what was causing their obesity to not drop when they switched from hot pockets to a 'lite' version of the same thing.

I considered it but eh I think its fine :D
Feb 1, 2016 11:35 AM
Chu2byo

Apr 2013
Ironic for someone like me to say but making out its I know its clearly not the fact I live at McDonalds or do 0 exercise and eat shit all day its the corporations fault, is pretty typical I know pin it on someone else other than yourself.
I admit I make bad diet choices but I wont ever go and pin Redbull, monster, red devil or Emerge for diabetes or heart problems from drinking 2 or 3 cans of energy drinks a day or complain to the Pot Noodle company or instant ramen company for making me un-healthy considering I have 1 or 2 a day for my breakfast when I arrive at work and one at my 11am snap break at work.

Plus from my limited Biology knowledge sugar doesnt lead to fat, foods that have high amounts of sugar tend to have a lot of calories which are converted and stored as fat I haven't done biology for a while so I may be off by a bit.

TLDR- Seems like people blaming everyone but themselves for their problems caused by their own lifestyle choices.
PurplePantiesFeb 1, 2016 11:39 AM
Feb 1, 2016 11:38 AM

Nov 2015
Sugar, ah honey, honey
You are my candy girl
And you gave me obesity
Honey, ah sugar, sugar
I am your candy girl
And I'm having a heart attack
Feb 1, 2016 12:22 PM

Dec 2014
It's not really the sugar
it's really just eating habits, among other things.
If you over eat, whether it's sweets or not, and don't get any exercise, it'll lead to you getting fat, and having other major health issues develop sooner or later.
Feb 1, 2016 12:30 PM

Apr 2012
No. It's usually a combination of diet, lifestyle and other factors.
Feb 1, 2016 12:32 PM

Jun 2015
It's really just over eating and a stationary life style.
Granted, no two bodies are exactly the same I guess.

Feb 1, 2016 12:33 PM

Mar 2008
Not sugar itself more so processed sugars. High fructose corn syrup is in a lot of food products and it messes up with a persons ability to feel full. Also people tend to do a lot of things while eating and the distractions make it so they do not focus on the food enough so it makes it easier to not realize when you are full. Weight gain is just from eating more calories than you use up so the calories energy gets stored in fat cells. Humans do not have as much brown fat as some other animals do and brown fat actually keeps certain animals more slim and not gain weight as easily as humans do.
Feb 1, 2016 12:37 PM

Dec 2011
Sugars are the culprit for over-eating, and therefore the culprit for obesity, after being combined with fast-foods, and high-calorie (non-nutritious) foods in general.

Increasing intake of sugar (especially processed or simple sugars), GREATLY increases the physiological demand to eat. With the increased blood sugar level fluctuations, these people who are now essentially addicted to sugar, will go from "craving to binging" indefinitely.
Feb 1, 2016 6:52 PM

Jan 2009
ye, if you follow health science news you will know that excess sugar can be converted to fat deposits that may cause obesity, heart disease, insulin resistance (that makes it more harder to lose weight) and diabetes

and not to mention sugar is addictive so its easy to eat more and more foods that contain it
Feb 1, 2016 6:55 PM
Dec 2015
I started becoming more conscious of sugar in my food and I've been shocked to find it's almost in everything. It's crazy. You need it to taste good and people will only buy if it tastes good so it's almost inevitable it's in everything.
Feb 1, 2016 7:23 PM

Jan 2016
PurplePanties said:
Ironic for someone like me to say but making out its I know its clearly not the fact I live at McDonalds or do 0 exercise and eat shit all day its the corporations fault, is pretty typical I know pin it on someone else other than yourself.
I admit I make bad diet choices but I wont ever go and pin Redbull, monster, red devil or Emerge for diabetes or heart problems from drinking 2 or 3 cans of energy drinks a day or complain to the Pot Noodle company or instant ramen company for making me un-healthy considering I have 1 or 2 a day for my breakfast when I arrive at work and one at my 11am snap break at work.

Plus from my limited Biology knowledge sugar doesnt lead to fat, foods that have high amounts of sugar tend to have a lot of calories which are converted and stored as fat I haven't done biology for a while so I may be off by a bit.

TLDR- Seems like people blaming everyone but themselves for their problems caused by their own lifestyle choices.

jesus fucking christ man, that is so fucking bad, you dont want to exercise? fine. but that shit you eat is gonna kill you in a few years, this is so not cool man :(

also, think in getting a bicycle, a very expensive one, like a bmc in carbon fiber with electronic gear shifters for example, so you feel obligated to use it because it was so expensive instead of tossing it in a corner of your house and forgetting about it ;)
Feb 1, 2016 7:34 PM

Sep 2015
Aww, I wanted to post a comment but I'm not 'murican. :(

Adios.
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Feb 1, 2016 7:47 PM

Aug 2013
sure theres a lot of suger in things but no its not the cause been a fat fu and having large portions or never stop eating causes obesity.

Feb 1, 2016 7:50 PM

Jan 2008
I feel like this is related.

Feb 1, 2016 8:09 PM
Jul 2018
Nah, it's not sugar, there's a much broader and more obvious reason... it's mostly people's inability to control portions, or even to stop fucking eating after MULTIPLE helpings of food.
Feb 1, 2016 8:16 PM
Sep 2014
Not really. I used to be extremely over weight and I just used to over eat a lot of junk food. Rarely had anything with sugar tho.
Feb 1, 2016 8:18 PM

Apr 2014
Sugar adds on to the problem, but it's not the only thing.
It just so happens that people who consume a lot of sugar and/or junk food as a result also don't get much exercise or eat right at all.
Whatever the case, too much sugar is still definitely not good for you.
Feb 1, 2016 8:20 PM

Nov 2013
Hmm. Sugar as in sugar+simple carbs? Yeah, it has a major impact, that's undeniable.

Doesn't sound like many in the thread agree, but I'm basing it off personal experience. I went through a self challenge to not eat sugar or any type of sugar, as well as simple carbohydrates.

Mostly ate fish, bread made from oats, fruit, veggies, etc. As well as only water and tea.

Now, again just personal experience, I was dropping weight like nothing and the funny thing was I was eating whenever I felt hungry. Didn't have any cravings after a bit either.
Feb 2, 2016 12:12 AM

May 2014
@Tewi-sama could it be that a lack of fat in your food also contributed? At least based on what you said it sounds like there need to be other factors considered.
I think that the contrast between those who heavily disagree and those who agree is interesting
Feb 2, 2016 12:17 AM

Nov 2013
@TheConquerer Well, I was still getting plenty of fats from nuts and oils, though it's obviously much healthier for you overall.

I think the thing that I believe causes the most harm with sugar, is that it's been proven to be addictive. It's also very easy to get down and isn't very filling.

Same with simple carbs, though that is also broken down into sugar.
Feb 2, 2016 2:23 AM

Jan 2008
Yes, I think it's a major factor. Including simple carbs which metabolise in to sugars and high fructose corn syrup. Other factors play a role as well and physical activity is low in western countries but we simply can't burn off the amount of calories we eat through sugar. I can't help myself though, I've had a high carb, high sugar diet for ages but only recently started gaining weight as my metabolism has slowed and physical activity levels have dropped.

I remeber seeing this video a few years ago, it's pretty long but quite interesting. Since then, a few videos have appeared up claiming to debunk the guy, although I haven't seen them. Anyway, here's the video if anyone is really, really bored or interested (the guy goes deep in to the biochemistry iirc).

Edit - I'm having difficulty embedding the video so I'll just leave a link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rO6K-GPP0Q
Feb 2, 2016 2:27 AM

Mar 2015
I thought it was the combination of complex carbohydrates and physical inactivity that was the major cause of obesity. Sugars, on the other hand, are simple carbohydrates.
Feb 2, 2016 2:31 AM

Dec 2015
Well sugar is bad for you, at least in the high moments most people get it in *cough* yes I love doughnuts. Screw you guys, I still eat mah veggies and workout mah muscles

As far as the number one cause? Idk about that, but it is a huge factor in most people gaining weight.
However, I should be clear that when I say "sugar" I am also meaning carbs. Most people eat way too many carbs than they should, and we all know that carbs>sugar>fat (essentially I am saying that carbs break down into sugar and then sugar gets stored as fat). Also, there is such a thing as eating too much, with many people are guilty of but will never admit to. *slowly raises hand*

My diet is high protein, high fat, high veggie and somewhat low carb don't take away my doughnuts please. Prior to that a few years ago I tried going vegan, and basically my diet was a little fruit, a little veggie, and a ton of carbs. I was pretty tubby back then and here I thought I was being healthy.

So, I do think it's a cause but I don't think sugar is the ONLY cause. I hate to sound like one of those people, but when I was a personal trainer I had many clients that when they initially came in they would give me a list of what they thought was a healthy "low fat" diet and it was basically all low fat, high carb junk. I understood they weren't educated on thi smatter, but there comes a point where people need to take responsibility in learning about the real facts about nutrition instead of getting all of their info from pinterist and tumblr.
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 2, 2016 2:35 AM

Jan 2015
The reason why Americans are fat is because the lizard men running the country send telepathic fat particles into voting Americans, causing them to gain fat.

In order to not get fat you need to wear tin foil armor to repel the fatty telepathic particles.
Feb 2, 2016 2:40 AM

May 2014
The average american diet is very unhealthy in nature, if there is a country on earth that NEEDS veganism its America i would say.

And YES sugar is the biggest culprit.
Feb 2, 2016 3:27 AM

Oct 2011
Excessive sugar intake leads to fat gaining so I wouldn't be surprised if sugar is the cause behind the widespread obesity albeit there are also other factors involved such as lifestyle habits.
Feb 2, 2016 3:58 AM
Feb 2, 2016 4:05 AM

Aug 2012
kattee said:
i eat a lot of sweets since childhood and still skinny so i guess sugar not the cause of overweight.

same here. i don't get fat even if i want to

sadface.jpg

But you'll still take damage!
Feb 2, 2016 9:38 AM

Jul 2014
Tewi-sama said:
Doesn't sound like many in the thread agree, but I'm basing it off personal experience. I went through a self challenge to not eat sugar or any type of sugar, as well as simple carbohydrates.

For me cutting simple carbs did it, well, is doing it.

As for the topic - actually I dunno what the average American diet is like. I am pretty curious in fact.
deadoptimistFeb 2, 2016 9:53 AM
Feb 2, 2016 9:42 AM

Jun 2015
I don't believe that it's only sugar and sweets that causes obesity. I feel that obesity is more caused by over eating and the lack of exercise. They eat too much, and then leave a sedentary lifestyle. Sugar is a part of it since many people like sweets, but it's not the whole story.
Feb 2, 2016 9:53 AM

Mar 2014
I drink juice and water :0

I also barely eat (in a healthy way?) gosh when I was a teen I would eat all the time @.@ but when I suddenly started eating less my mom got worried and tried to get me to eat more food lol.

Also from my step dad he says the food here (u.s) is tainted well not tainted but unhealthy even the healthy foods lel
He wishes to go to his home country because of this.
CommieSalamiFeb 2, 2016 9:56 AM
Eat Me
Feb 2, 2016 9:59 AM

May 2015
No. It's not the only thing going on with it, sugar is in almost everything. The problem is people living unhealthy lifestyles, like not exercising that extra sugar off.
Feb 2, 2016 10:56 AM

May 2014
Tewi-sama said:
@TheConquerer Well, I was still getting plenty of fats from nuts and oils, though it's obviously much healthier for you overall.

I think the thing that I believe causes the most harm with sugar, is that it's been proven to be addictive. It's also very easy to get down and isn't very filling.

Same with simple carbs, though that is also broken down into sugar.

Ah yeah of course but I mean meat and all that, they can be pretty greasy

That's true but its not that hard to get off it, I feel sometimes people over exaggerate its addictive qualities. Its just a natural response to the brain's reward circuit like most food.
Feb 2, 2016 11:43 AM

Jul 2014
i think it's also just processed food. and stuff like corn syrup, palm oil, glucose syrup, canned food. basically we don't eat what we are supposed to eat anymore. and that is extremely fresh vegetables and fresh fish/meat. also waaaay too many people don't realize how bad white bread and wheat is for them.
Feb 2, 2016 11:58 AM
Chu2byo

Apr 2013
Sakuraoka said:
PurplePanties said:

jesus fucking christ man, that is so fucking bad, you dont want to exercise? fine. but that shit you eat is gonna kill you in a few years, this is so not cool man :(

also, think in getting a bicycle, a very expensive one, like a bmc in carbon fiber with electronic gear shifters for example, so you feel obligated to use it because it was so expensive instead of tossing it in a corner of your house and forgetting about it ;)

Dont really give a fuck about my health tbh, if I die in 10 years so be it might as well enjoy it. I work as a labourer and electrical engineer so my day consists of manual work and maintenance work on machinery and I weigh like 8 stone 10 pounds or something stupid for my average age Weight:Height range so if anything I am under weight but un-healthy as fuck.
Feb 2, 2016 12:39 PM

Jan 2016
PurplePanties said:
Dont really give a fuck about my health tbh, if I die in 10 years so be it might as well enjoy it. I work as a labourer and electrical engineer so my day consists of manual work and maintenance work on machinery and I weigh like 8 stone 10 pounds or something stupid for my average age Weight:Height range so if anything I am under weight but un-healthy as fuck.

hum well i can respect that, also skinny people are resilient as fuck, so even in these conditions you might last way more than those 10 years lol
Feb 2, 2016 12:43 PM

Dec 2015
Jayden said:
I don't believe that it's only sugar and sweets that causes obesity. I feel that obesity is more caused by over eating and the lack of exercise. They eat too much, and then leave a sedentary lifestyle. Sugar is a part of it since many people like sweets, but it's not the whole story.

Exactly.
Nobody focuses on weight training or cardio workouts even. They see 10 minutes of yoga as their only workout and expect to lose weight.

Exercise is definitely a big part of weight gain, for most it's the biggest.
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 2, 2016 12:43 PM

Apr 2015
I'm underweight/low end of healthy depending on the BMI chart and I eat a ton of sugar and artificial sweeteners, two things which are supposed to make you fat. I just also eat healthy meals on a regular basis.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 2, 2016 12:51 PM

Jul 2015
theres always gonna be that ONE guy with the genetic excuse that all the other lazy excessive and underexercised chubs wanna use as an excuse and claim thats their problem. most of my family is overweight, i am not, i was, i exercised, i still eat about the same maybe a lil healthier. the miracle drug is regular exercise.
Feb 2, 2016 1:28 PM

Jan 2013
Of course it is, try not going without sugar for a few days and you'll get withdrawal symptoms. Sugar is extremely addictive, and it's in almost every food besides vegetables.
Feb 2, 2016 2:57 PM

May 2014
ibrahim2712 said:
Of course it is, try not going without sugar for a few days and you'll get withdrawal symptoms. Sugar is extremely addictive, and it's in almost every food besides vegetables.

Please tell me what you call 'withdrawal symptoms'? If it means a craving towards sugar then thats completely natural as your brain is wired up to receive and sustain itself on sugar.
If you notice other symptoms like fevers or headaches I'd be curious exactly how much sugar you take and how you've been doing with weight since you've stopped.
Feb 2, 2016 4:06 PM

Jan 2013
TheConquerer said:
ibrahim2712 said:

Please tell me what you call 'withdrawal symptoms'? If it means a craving towards sugar then thats completely natural as your brain is wired up to receive and sustain itself on sugar.
If you notice other symptoms like fevers or headaches I'd be curious exactly how much sugar you take and how you've been doing with weight since you've stopped.

I get my sugar fix from fruits nowadays and I avoid added sugar, but I definitely got intense cravings when I tried to stop eating sugar altogether. I tried to stop eating sugar because of my leaky gut with candida, not because of weight. I've always been unnaturally skinny.
Feb 2, 2016 4:08 PM

Jul 2015
No
Lack of proper nutrition and exercise is problem
city folk just sit in offices all day while eating crap, so their urge to eat is never sated because the body senses its not getting enough of necessary nutrients

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - 2 hours ago

6 by LightWorker »»
53 seconds ago

Poll: » Worst social media

IpreferEcchi - Mar 19

29 by DesuMaiden »»
13 minutes ago

» What's the most illegal thing you've ever done? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Mar 15

51 by DesuMaiden »»
25 minutes ago

» which country would you NOT want to visit? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 27

63 by duchessliz87 »»
30 minutes ago

Poll: » strawberry, chocolate or banana milk? ( 1 2 )

bobbysalmon - Apr 17

60 by vampirismsxc »»
48 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.