Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 15, 2016 12:03 AM

Jan 2014
the authors end to the the manga was totally unexpected but was refreshing and good the only thing in the manga that didnot fit was author's dealing about daikichi and yukari's relationship apart from that whole story was a nice read.
liveanimeJan 15, 2016 1:06 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 15, 2016 12:51 AM

Jul 2013
That should have a spoiler tag. On another note, I enjoyed Usagi Drop's ending, too. It was different and totally unexpected. Plus I like their relationship.
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Jan 15, 2016 1:07 AM

Jul 2012
No because it left a bad taste in my mouth

Why would they fuck up a perfectly good dad daughter relationship like that
Jan 15, 2016 1:12 AM

Jan 2014
Demi_V said:
That should have a spoiler tag. On another note, I enjoyed Usagi Drop's ending, too. It was different and totally unexpected. Plus I like their relationship.

thanks about spoiler tag posted in a forum only second time.
anyways thats wht i want to say daikichi x rin was really beautiful, as for haters no offence but i think that people are fixated to the thoughts that most people around them have; hence limiting thier cognizance and thinking that those not following those norms are blasphemous acts arises.
liveanimeJan 7, 2017 12:13 AM
Jan 15, 2016 1:20 AM

Jan 2014
Mayuka said:

its not like rin wasn't confused about her feeling but in the end i think deep down she knew she liked daichi but the fear of people around was the reason of her mixed feelings. (the reason for this as i have mentioned in the 2nd post )
Jan 15, 2016 9:02 AM

Jul 2014
Mayuka said:

^
this

He brought her up as a daughter, it's just way unhealthy.
Jan 15, 2016 9:28 AM

Oct 2007
Personally
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 15, 2016 2:24 PM

Apr 2013
^

For me, it didn't feel wrong, it felt really sad..

Up to that point you see Daikichi caring for Rin as a parent, because that's what he chose to be.. Imagine having to change your perspective of someone you took care for almost 10 or 12 years, he was conflicted and didn't know what to do, so I think at the end he went with the flow and thought that if that was what Rin wanted then he'd do it, imo..
Jan 16, 2016 7:21 AM

Sep 2015
It's fucking sick. Seriously, the whole situation is disgusting, like, Gantz didn't make me nowhere near as offended.
Jan 16, 2016 7:55 AM

Feb 2013
liveanime said:
Mayuka said:

its not like rin wasn't confused about her feeling but in the end i think deep down she knew she liked daichi but the fear of people around was the reason of her mixed feelings. (the reason for this as i have mentioned in the 2nd post )

But we're not talking about how was executed it could have been really well executed but is still bad. Why the author had to take the story that way when the whole parent/daughter relationship was fine? Also it ruins the realism since that a girl falling in love with her closer to dad is rarely lickely to happen.

Feb 4, 2016 12:05 PM
Feb 2016
The ending reminded me of My Daddy Long Legs. That story was even creepier since the guy was a jealous, possessive, manipulative jerk and the Japanese adaptation made the characters younger.

To me, Rin didn't saw Daikichi as a family figure more like a friend and protector like he stayed Daikichi (just like she said during the adoption talk scene) to her while she later on addressed his mother and sister with honorifics.

It's different than what one would expect from a slice of life feel good story we started with. Instead of a warm happy ending we can all see from a mile, the author threw a thought-provoking and moral dilemma curveball. In this, I appreciated the ending.
runaway42Feb 4, 2016 12:20 PM
Feb 4, 2016 12:21 PM

Dec 2015
I didn't hate the ending, the story was still good.
However, it felt very generic.

In the end the young loli became a teenager and fell in love with the one she saw as a father figure.
This is a pretty common thing you see in mangas that have a similar theme or ending. So I guess it's also why I wasn't as grossed out, just dissapointed by the lack of authenticity.

I was hoping for something more original and powerful since the anime already had those elements.
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 4, 2016 12:25 PM

Jan 2015
Because it was shit. It was a great SoL story dealing with troubling matters and the struggle of parenting from both perspectives then we get weird incest relationship.

NO. Horrible end.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Feb 4, 2016 6:25 PM

Nov 2008
I think a 40-year-old man should know better than to give in to the teenager. >_>

It's just......messed up.

Feb 4, 2016 8:01 PM

Jan 2014
A more serious perception.

It's all about personal value of life, me myself really like Bunny Drop ending, one of the most heartwarming manga ending. In my perception, Daikichi and Rin wasn't incest, they have no blood related (except Rin is the daughter of Daikichi's father). That's a normal thing in my family, my own dad marriage with his second wife (my stepmother) have 25 years old difference.

And for the opposite of, I hate LGBT very much, for example Shinsekai Yori no matter how good it is, I never appreciate it because my personal value of life prohibit it, don't care if people call me homophobe or whatever.

No offense for everyone, anime/manga just for enjoyment but life is serious thing. Peace...

Feb 4, 2016 8:05 PM
Jan 2013
I kinda have this thing about Usagi Drop

Y'know, there are two possible pairings that could've done, the dad and the mother or the girl and the boy, forgot em names

But hella if one could work and the other could work, why throwing away 50% of each paring and splat the other part together into a new pairing didn't worked?

I dunno mang I dunno mang
gone bai bai
Feb 4, 2016 10:13 PM

Apr 2013
HiatusXHiatus said:

Daikichi and Rin wasn't incest, they have no blood related (except Rin is the daughter of Daikichi's father).

They're really not related by blood,
Feb 4, 2016 10:25 PM

Jan 2014
HeNrYTG50 said:
HiatusXHiatus said:

Daikichi and Rin wasn't incest, they have no blood related (except Rin is the daughter of Daikichi's father).

They're really not related by blood,

Oh yeah I really forgot about that.
Feb 5, 2016 12:18 AM
Jul 2018
Feb 5, 2016 6:56 AM
Jul 2015
I think they should just continue as father and daughter.But I don't think the ending is ruined because we can't do anything about their feelings.
Mar 5, 2016 9:25 PM
Jul 2015
I really don't think the people who had a problem with the ending had a problem because of the age difference. I think the problem is the fact this relationship was seen and built up as a father daughter type relationship which is so rare to see focused on in anime that is was refreshing; however, the ending completely took that away for what seems like a rushed ending. the feelings they felt for each other as father and daughter are now anything, but as it almost feels like child grooming and another self insert "fetish" anime. this is by no means trying to shame or bash on people who liked the ending, but I believe the majority of fans who followed and stuck with this show did not watch it to watch a grown man raise his future wife, but rather his new daughter and when that is taken away it makes you feel sick for supporting this.
The_DriverMar 5, 2016 9:29 PM
Mar 5, 2016 11:19 PM

Dec 2009
I actually finished Usagi Drop right after it's official ending, keeping up with the releases in Japan, and at the very beginning it's a fantastic story about how Rin is growing up with Daikichi and how they both have to cope and become a family and it was very sweet. It reminded me about my own daughter/father relationship. And, well - the rest is history :/

If you're (or anyone else!) interested, I wrote a really detailed review for the entire manga Here. Spoiler Warning, though ╰(・∇・╰)
Mar 6, 2016 3:20 AM
Mar 2016
Hola como están todos
Nov 6, 2016 5:16 PM
Mar 2008
HiatusXHiatus said:

I know that they aren't blood related at all and your post is incorrect, but I HAVE to point out how ridiculous this is. Seriously. "They're not blood related, except that she's his half sister"?????????

What?

If Rin was his half sister, which I know she isn't but IF she was, that's like .. textbook, classic incest and they're extremely closely related.

It's hilarious you're against two consenting adults being in a relationship because of their gender but you are perfectly fine with a man literally raising his future spouse as a daughter. Get your priorities and morals straight.
Nov 6, 2016 8:21 PM

Jul 2016
For me, I was also surprise and the ending really did not suit because at the start it really gives off a warm feels of being a family then suddenly they end up together. Seriously, it could have been better if the guy end up with other woman and they become a family so that Rin could feel or have a family.
Dec 12, 2016 10:40 AM
Nov 2015
atKatlin said:
For me, I was also surprise and the ending really did not suit because at the start it really gives off a warm feels of being a family then suddenly they end up together. Seriously, it could have been better if the guy end up with other woman and they become a family so that Rin could feel or have a family.

They ending together Still is a Family
Dec 12, 2016 4:51 PM

Nov 2014
Mayuka said:

if you know what i mean

Dec 12, 2016 4:53 PM
Mar 2015
If I wanted to read incest, I would read a hentai manga not usagi drop.
Jan 5, 2017 9:45 AM
Sep 2013
I have mixed feelings about their relationship (i don't actually hate it) but it feels like ending was very very lazy.

I was expecting so much more on extra numbers, what a shame. (Anime was a master piece and story after time leap was very good anyway)
Jan 5, 2017 12:14 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
Because it makes the whole think reek of child grooming?

I'm sure as a Japanese manga it was meant to be cute but as a western that comes of way more creepy than anything else.
Jan 5, 2017 12:27 PM

Sep 2009
Too sudden. Possibly reminiscent of Hikaru Genji and Murasaki, which is probably relatively unknown in the West.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jan 5, 2017 8:45 PM

Jan 2010
Moved from Manga Discussion
Feb 2, 2017 5:52 PM

May 2015
I thought this was going to be like "My Girl". THIS WAS NOT LIKE "My Girl"!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
Feb 2, 2017 6:34 PM

Oct 2016
I somewhat agree that it's a bit awkward at first.. seeing their lives revolve around the father-daughter relationship. But after reading the ending, I gradually accepted it and enjoyed it.

I was really surprised that the author managed to use the cliche not-your-real-relative ticket very well to dilute the seriousness of incest implication. It was the turning point where I thought, AH.. I guess this is fine then.

I still worry on how their relatives would react to this sudden plot twist, if i were Daikichi.. I won't probably know what to say to them.

Anyway, I really liked the anime-adaptation that's why I decided to read the manga. My first manga to read and so far, I'm liking it.

I'm already on chapter 57 and dumfounded that they're on the past settings again when Rin was still a child. Not sure why though, I'll finish it today to find out.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Feb 7, 2017 10:47 AM
Jul 2016
The ending was fine man daikchi sacrificed his life for Rin didn't got into any romantic relationship if Rin were to leave him for some other guy his existence was too sad for me to handle to atleast and if the girl is fine with it what's the problem ? There are hundreds of normal relationship manga drama anime out there once in a while something unique like this is a great thing .
Feb 7, 2017 10:53 AM

Aug 2016
so what exactly happened? i dont feel like reading this but im curious to what happened in the end because i see ppl saying the ending is messed up or whatever alot lol idc spoil me spoil me :]
Feb 21, 2017 5:11 PM
Dec 2012
The "taboo" was overblown in three ways.

As for the incest aspect: not only were they not actually related, even if they were related their consanguinity was no closer than first cousins.

As for the reason why she fell in love with him: the Westermarck effect didn't take place. In short, she was too old when she met him to see him as her father figure.

As for the "child grooming" claim: he wasn't raising her in such a way that would warrant such an accusation. He raised her as best he could, not suspecting that she would grow up to feel what she felt. He too was unaware that the Westermarck effect would not apply. The relationship was initiated by her - making the issue of pressure from an "authority figure" completely irrelevant.

Taboos are ultimately heuristics that help avoid particular undesirable outcomes; they aren't perfect rules created through scientific research. Some people will always find it difficult to get past their superstitions I suppose.
Mar 6, 2017 10:33 PM
Oct 2013
i guess y all the hate even tho their not blood related is because Daikichi was looked as a father figure so it seems incorporate for the two to be together
Mar 9, 2017 5:24 AM

Jul 2013
I feel like people nowadays try too hard to have a "unique" or "controversial" ending.

There was nothing wrong with the formula of the first half. I still have the question of "Just why?" still lingering in my head.
Mar 9, 2017 7:09 AM

Jan 2017
ihusmal1234 said:
I feel like people nowadays try too hard to have a "unique" or "controversial" ending.

There was nothing wrong with the formula of the first half. I still have the question of "Just why?" still lingering in my head.

true . the reason why people were hating on usagi drop's end was because the first half was already beautiful as it is . should have went like that all the way till rin finds love and gets married , the emotions daikichi would be feeling as he hands off rin to another guy would have been great material .
May 4, 2017 6:23 PM

Sep 2013
i will often come to this thread to remind myself of the tasteless casual scum that reside inside mal and in the planet

nobody cares if you approve of the relationship or not, ffs its not even incest

the author got too much hate
Jun 23, 2017 3:51 PM

Dec 2015
It wasn't even just the ending that ruined this manga for me, the entire second half was pure de-evolution. There series had gone from a very sincere Josei about the difficulties of raising a child to another melodramatic, run of the mill, teen shojo with all the basic elements one would associate with it.

. . . and the ending was pretty shit.

Jun 25, 2017 3:28 PM

Jun 2017
Before reading, here is a "spoiler button" since I am writing from the perspective that you have already read the whole manga:

ATATATATATATATATA! Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru.
Shout-out to @SpectralPoison (2017 Secret Santa) for creating this wonderful gift [signature/profile/avatar pics]!
Sep 11, 2017 2:43 PM

Mar 2013
I watched anime a long time ago and recently decided to read the manga. It was emotional, heartwarming and refreshing for me to read, until the end. I mean wtf? The thing is, actually, not the age diffrence. I believe one can fall in love and loved back in many circumstances. But in this manga, situation was completely diffrent. Daikichi adopted Rin, he bought clothes for her, he signed her to kindergarten and then elementary school, he cleaned up her pissy sheets... I don't know but it sounds like a father to me. A lone father. A self-sacrificing father. And you say that Rin was loving him romantically, she was sad for him and Daikichi like "Okay I couldn't find a wife because of you so I'm just gonna accept your love for me and make you my bride." What is this? Was their relationship this cheap? Sorry but it "is" sick. And I think people who like the ending are just trying to look large-minded. Yeah we all love plot twists, unique endings or storylines. But Usagi Drop wasn't supposed to be one of them.
Well, even so(?), thanks for the first half of the story.
noirwinterSep 11, 2017 2:47 PM
What am I doing here?
Oct 26, 2017 12:45 AM
Sep 2017
Naxald said:
I watched anime a long time ago and recently decided to read the manga. It was emotional, heartwarming and refreshing for me to read, until the end. I mean wtf? The thing is, actually, not the age diffrence. I believe one can fall in love and loved back in many circumstances. But in this manga, situation was completely diffrent. Daikichi adopted Rin, he bought clothes for her, he signed her to kindergarten and then elementary school, he cleaned up her pissy sheets... I don't know but it sounds like a father to me. A lone father. A self-sacrificing father. And you say that Rin was loving him romantically, she was sad for him and Daikichi like "Okay I couldn't find a wife because of you so I'm just gonna accept your love for me and make you my bride." What is this? Was their relationship this cheap? Sorry but it "is" sick. And I think people who like the ending are just trying to look large-minded. Yeah we all love plot twists, unique endings or storylines. But Usagi Drop wasn't supposed to be one of them.
Well, even so(?), thanks for the first half of the story.

Just what I wanted to say. Thanks!
Jan 15, 2018 8:17 AM

Oct 2017
AnimeHonor said:
i will often come to this thread to remind myself of the tasteless casual scum that reside inside mal and in the planet

nobody cares if you approve of the relationship or not, ffs its not even incest

the author got too much hate

Better be a "casual" than actually be ok with disgusting shit like the second half of the manga.
Jan 15, 2018 9:03 AM

Jun 2016
I never saw the anime and went straight to the manga, cause people were saying that they had so many conflicted feelings about it and when I read the end I was one of those that said "What just happened?"
I mean it was clearly a father-daughter relationship. I still can't understand why it became romantic, since in the first case love also exists. It was plain wrong, when parenthood was a main focus of Usagi Drop.
Also I'll agree with anyone that said that it wasn't realistic for Rin to fall in love with her adoptive father. I know manga is not a place where things are realistic, but when it comes to slice of life manga it should be.
***roaming the vast anime universe***
Jan 16, 2018 12:20 AM
Oct 2017
Jamada said:

Taboos are ultimately heuristics that help avoid particular undesirable outcomes; they aren't perfect rules created through scientific research. Some people will always find it difficult to get past their superstitions I suppose.

I really liked this quote^

Anyways I just finished the manga today and the ending was quite 'average' for me. I wasn't disgusted nor was I amazed. At least their relationship didn't seem forced to me. I guess some people can't but look at it as incest. If they tried to consider Rin's feeling to be natural and not just 'put in' by the mangaka I don't think they would be as disgusted as they are now.
Jan 22, 2018 7:25 PM

Oct 2017
trenchantbaka said:
Jamada said:

Anyways I just finished the manga today and the ending was quite 'average' for me. I wasn't disgusted nor was I amazed. At least their relationship didn't seem forced to me. I guess some people can't but look at it as incest. If they tried to consider Rin's feeling to be natural and not just 'put in' by the mangaka I don't think they would be as disgusted as they are now.

Fuck her feelings, this "relationship" took a disgusting unnecessary turn that basically ruins the story.
Jan 22, 2018 8:41 PM
Oct 2017
Aardwolf94 said:
trenchantbaka said:

Fuck her feelings, this "relationship" took a disgusting unnecessary turn that basically ruins the story.

Well if you're just gonna decide that their relationship took a ''disgusting and unnecessary'' turn then the whole argument becomes unreasonable.We may as well be stuck with our own opinions for the rest of our lives.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» When does it get trash?

AshTheChamp - Mar 22

4 by blinddig »»
Apr 8, 4:09 AM

Poll: » Usagi Drop Chapter 62 Discussion

Dr_Funkadelic - Feb 27, 2013

44 by BigBlueBash »»
Nov 12, 2023 6:11 AM

Poll: » Usagi Drop Chapter 61 Discussion

Javi-Hime - Feb 28, 2013

1 by Rexnihilo »»
Aug 14, 2023 7:33 PM

Poll: » Usagi Drop Chapter 60 Discussion

Javi-Hime - Feb 14, 2013

4 by Rexnihilo »»
Aug 14, 2023 7:28 PM

Poll: » Usagi Drop Chapter 59 Discussion

Javi-Hime - Feb 14, 2013

5 by Rexnihilo »»
Aug 14, 2023 7:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.