Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 10, 2016 7:18 PM

Jul 2013
crashinho said:
not a big fan but gotta admit there are some cool songs.

Dude that sounds awesome :'D

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Jan 10, 2016 9:03 PM

Nov 2011
I think for the most part its just really poor music. It's more often obnoxious than anything. I heard in order to enjoy rap you have to enjoy the lyrics which is not only a sign of bad music but rap lyrics are generally idiotic.
Jan 10, 2016 9:05 PM
Mar 2011
rap these days for the most part sucks
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jan 10, 2016 9:06 PM

Jul 2014
I am the best rapper alive
Jan 10, 2016 9:19 PM

Nov 2011
teeawgo said:
That's like saying you're the nicest smelling turd.
Jan 10, 2016 10:24 PM

May 2015
Great genre.

The canonical stuff is a lot of crap. You can only listen to generic boom bap for so long.

But beyond that, there's a lot of variety and fun: Warren G, Sadistik, Atmosphere, Foreign Beggars, The Streets, Plan B, House of Pain, Cypress Hill, Tyler the Creator, Wacka Flocka Flame, Disposable Heroes, Run-DMC, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, OutKast, Kid Rock, PWEI.

Crazy genre.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jan 11, 2016 1:35 AM
busy week =_+

Dec 2014
I like unique raps, not the common underground rap style or the general rap style. I like people who rap in melodious tones or the sing-rap style, preferably rappers rap with meaningful lyrics. I always get annoyed when people argue about faster rappers being better rappers. Rapping is also part of the music genre, it's hip hop! It's music! Why does a music have to be fast to be good?

Rap is rhythmic storytelling, it's when you tell your story based on its emotions and flow of the music. It is speaking with a certain vibe following certain rhythm and beat, altering speed and tone with the change in emotion. Unfortunately this art is almost lost nowadays.

CURRENT: semi-hiatus (busy)

Jan 11, 2016 5:43 PM

Mar 2012
Waifu_Strangler said:
I think for the most part its just really poor music. It's more often obnoxious than anything. I heard in order to enjoy rap you have to enjoy the lyrics which is not only a sign of bad music but rap lyrics are generally idiotic.

you can enjoy the production or the sound of the lyrics tho? tbh i think most music has really stupid lyrics and a lot of rap is comparatively smart but :-/
Mayuka said:

did you call

holier than thou bitch right here

last.fm

Jan 11, 2016 9:39 PM

Nov 2011
truisms said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

you can enjoy the production or the sound of the lyrics tho? tbh i think most music has really stupid lyrics and a lot of rap is comparatively smart but :-/

Why does production matter? Yeah I could enjoy the sound of the lyrics if I like the sound of the vocals in the first place. Most rappers sound annoying to me.

To me these lyrics are hard not to laugh at.

Jan 11, 2016 9:54 PM

May 2015
:3

(character limit BS.)

Jan 11, 2016 11:51 PM

May 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:
truisms said:

Why does production matter? Yeah I could enjoy the sound of the lyrics if I like the sound of the vocals in the first place. Most rappers sound annoying to me.

Listen to Sadistik's "Petrichor". Maybe that will change your mind.
Jan 12, 2016 12:15 AM

May 2015
Also this:

Jan 12, 2016 3:50 AM

Jul 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
teeawgo said:
That's like saying you're the nicest smelling turd.

yessir i am indeed the shit thank you for noticing
Jan 12, 2016 4:43 PM

Mar 2012
Waifu_Strangler said:
truisms said:

I think Kendrick's overrated as a serious lyricist but what lyrics do you consider interesting?
Mayuka said:

did you call

last.fm

Jan 12, 2016 9:52 PM

Nov 2011
truisms said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

I think Kendrick's overrated as a serious lyricist but what lyrics do you consider interesting?

Hello darkness, my old friend,
I've come to talk with you again,
Because a vision softly creeping,
Left its seeds while I was sleeping,
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence.

In restless dreams I walked alone
Narrow streets of cobblestone,
'Neath the halo of a street lamp,
I turned my collar to the cold and damp
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence.

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more.
People talking without speaking,
People hearing without listening,
People writing songs that voices never share
And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.

"Fools," said I, "You do not know.
Silence like a cancer grows.
Hear my words that I might teach you.
Take my arms that I might reach you."
But my words like silent raindrops fell
And echoed in the wells of silence

And the people bowed and prayed
To the neon god they made.
And the sign flashed out its warning
In the words that it was forming.
And the sign said, "The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls
And tenement halls
And whispered in the sounds of silence."
Jan 13, 2016 12:34 AM

Apr 2013
Waifu_Strangler said:

NIGGA YOU DONT KNOW SHIT
Jan 13, 2016 12:57 AM

May 2015
truisms said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

Kendrick is overhyped but is still talented. His music is more adventurous and he has more interesting lyrical ideas. His more introspective take on Gangsta Rap is interesting.
Jan 13, 2016 10:55 AM

Oct 2012
I used to hate it because of my perception from some of the mainstream artsits at the time. But after giving some artists that have gotten rave critical reviews like Kanye and Kendrick a second chance I've started to appreciate it more and dig a little deeper in the genre.

I would never have guessed one of my favorite albums of all time would be a Kanye West album 8 years ago when Graduation was everywhere.
Jan 13, 2016 6:58 PM

Mar 2012
Waifu_Strangler said:
truisms said:

Still remains

That split the night

And no one dared

And tenement halls

Lol I like simon and garfield too but the rhyme scheme is laughable and it's overwritten at several points. which is fine, because it fits the tone of the song. but interpreting rap lyrics tonally in the same way as you would read simon and garfunkel weepy artist lyrics is just pointless, the focuses are different
Mayuka said:

did you call

last.fm

Jan 14, 2016 12:04 AM

May 2015
Feaor said:
I used to hate it because of my perception from some of the mainstream artsits at the time. But after giving some artists that have gotten rave critical reviews like Kanye and Kendrick a second chance I've started to appreciate it more and dig a little deeper in the genre.

I would never have guessed one of my favorite albums of all time would be a Kanye West album 8 years ago when Graduation was everywhere.

I don't understand how can anyone dislike Dark Fantasy. It's experimental, varied, catchy, fun and emotionally deep.
Jan 14, 2016 12:56 AM

Dec 2013
Most of it sucks, few good apples.
Just like every genre except classical/instrumental.
Step Into My Mind - ##&&##&&##&&
Jan 14, 2016 5:57 AM

Nov 2011
truisms said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

Still remains

That split the night

And no one dared

And tenement halls

Lol I like simon and garfield too but the rhyme scheme is laughable and it's overwritten at several points. which is fine, because it fits the tone of the song. but interpreting rap lyrics tonally in the same way as you would read simon and garfunkel weepy artist lyrics is just pointless, the focuses are different

At least it's not in some retarded ghetto slang with constant uses of words like nigga and bitch.
Jan 14, 2016 6:26 AM

Mar 2014
Unless it's halvrapp by Montefjanton I don't think it's real music

Sorry not sorry
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 14, 2016 7:48 AM

Mar 2014
Rap is the music genre I enjoy the most. I like the honest brutality of the vulgar lyrics as much as I like the complexity of the more elaborate ones. Rappers have fun personnalities and rap music videos are often very cool (I won't complain about the half naked girls ... I like 2D fanservice, why would I hate it in 3D ?)
Jan 14, 2016 10:10 AM

May 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:
truisms said:

At least it's not in some retarded ghetto slang with constant uses of words like nigga and bitch.

Listen to Notorious BIG's "Juicy" or "Everyday Struggle" or "Things Done Changed"

Or Kendrick's "Swimming Pools".
Jan 14, 2016 10:29 AM

Oct 2012
TheBrainintheJar said:
Listen to Notorious BIG's "Juicy" or "Everyday Struggle" or "Things Done Changed"

As much as I love the lyrics in good kid m.A.A.d. city, I don't think any track from it a good recommendation to someone who's preconceived notions of rap is that its filled with ghetto slang and liberal usage of the n-word.

When taken out of context by someone who is biased against rap it probably sounds exactly like the thing that its actually criticizing.
Jan 14, 2016 6:30 PM

Mar 2012
Waifu_Strangler said:
truisms said:

okay...? it is more intricately written on a technical level when done by skilled artists. retarded ghetto slang is meaningless and choice of vocab criticism is pointless. there's tracks like mural by lupe fiasco where those words never appear, and there's music that's technically interesting that still does use those words. but it's a matter of taste as well obviously, your criticisms are just superficial imo
Mayuka said:

did you call

last.fm

Jan 15, 2016 12:23 AM

May 2015
Feaor said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

As much as I love the lyrics in good kid m.A.A.d. city, I don't think any track from it a good recommendation to someone who's preconceived notions of rap is that its filled with ghetto slang and liberal usage of the n-word.

When taken out of context by someone who is biased against rap it probably sounds exactly like the thing that its actually criticizing.

I agree, but this track is way more introspective than anything else. It's hard to ignore it.

truisms said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

okay...? it is more intricately written on a technical level when done by skilled artists. retarded ghetto slang is meaningless and choice of vocab criticism is pointless. there's tracks like mural by lupe fiasco where those words never appear, and there's music that's technically interesting that still does use those words. but it's a matter of taste as well obviously, your criticisms are just superficial imo

Please! No technical rappers! They're often boring, go nowhere and have no meaning!
Jan 15, 2016 2:35 AM

Apr 2012
Cuckie said:
<2

I see you showin love for Tribe Called Quest.

What does everyone think about rap from Japan?

合い言葉はアフロと軍曹☆
Jan 15, 2016 2:36 AM

Jan 2016
Depends on my mood, but I can appreciate rap music. But not the moaning R&B kind of rap...

Jan 15, 2016 7:09 AM

Nov 2011
truisms said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

Honestly I could care less about the lyrics if the music is good.
Jan 15, 2016 7:29 AM

Jul 2015
I'm weird .Most of my friends like it but I personally don't see much merit in listening to music about how much money or how many bitches a guy is getting .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Jan 17, 2016 12:48 AM

May 2015
akaidol said:
Cuckie said:
<2

I see you showin love for Tribe Called Quest.

What does everyone think about rap from Japan?

ATCQ are indeed phony rappers. I hate "Butter" with a passion.
Jan 19, 2016 3:13 PM

Feb 2015
i know everyone says "Modern rap is bad, but the retro ones are the best!" but tbh i never liked it. there's a few beats here and there i like but i have ever liked a single rap song. and i've pretty much heard the rap from its beginnings and now.
TomDayJan 19, 2016 8:31 PM
Jan 19, 2016 3:44 PM
Jul 2018
The majority of modern rap does not do much for me, there are a few select artists, albums, and songs I like, but I would say rap, next to most male country artists, is one of the less interesting genres to me. To each their own. Modern trap YOLOSWAG rap doesn't do much for me.
Jan 19, 2016 4:22 PM

Feb 2014
NudeBear said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

NIGGA YOU DONT KNOW SHIT

First time I've seen you triggered, Nudebear.
Where the fuck did Monday go?
Jan 19, 2016 5:50 PM

Mar 2014
rap is the best musical genre.
Jan 19, 2016 5:52 PM

Oct 2012
Can't spell crap without rap ;)

Just kidding, I haven't explored the genre that far yet, but I tend to like the more experimental albums like Cannibal Ox's The Cold Vein and cLOUDDEAD's stuff. MF DOOM is pretty cool, the album he made with Madlib, Madvillainy is so good. I haven't been listening to the more recent releases that much, but I thought that Milo's latest album was great, definitely my favourite rapper right now. I actually really love the weeb rappers Airospace and Kill Bill, they make some seriously underrated hip-hop these days especially Airospace, though maybe I'm just biased towards anyone that throws anime references into their music.
Jan 19, 2016 6:04 PM
Aug 2015
It's my favorite music genre so I love it. Listen to 2Pac, Nas, Biggie, Eminem, K-Dot, and J. Cole.
Jan 20, 2016 12:41 AM

May 2015
Koybz said:

Just kidding, I haven't explored the genre that far yet, but I tend to like the more experimental albums like Cannibal Ox's The Cold Vein and cLOUDDEAD's stuff. MF DOOM is pretty cool, the album he made with Madlib, Madvillainy is so good. I haven't been listening to the more recent releases that much, but I thought that Milo's latest album was great, definitely my favourite rapper right now. I actually really love the weeb rappers Airospace and Kill Bill, they make some seriously underrated hip-hop these days especially Airospace, though maybe I'm just biased towards anyone that throws anime references into their music.

If you think Madvillainy is experimental, you've got a lot to look forward to. Madvillainy is unoriginal as hell.

You'll enjoy El-P and Subtle.
Jan 20, 2016 5:11 AM

Oct 2012
TheBrainintheJar said:
Koybz said:

If you think Madvillainy is experimental, you've got a lot to look forward to. Madvillainy is unoriginal as hell.

You'll enjoy El-P and Subtle.

Ah, maybe I worded my post poorly but I wasn't trying to say that Madvillainy was experimental or anything, just that it's one of the more noteworthy rap albums I've heard. Thanks for the recommendations though, I've been meaning to check out El-P for a while now.
Apr 18, 2019 8:34 AM

Jul 2017
I've never liked it. Listened to Kendrick Lamar, Tyler the Creator, Eminem, DMX, Flying Lotus, NWA, and others. It's unappealing to me on a raw aesthetic level. Roughly once a year I ask around for recommendations to give it another try and I find nothing that appeals to me. Every time I end up listening to more and more obscure stuff that I don't end up remembering.
Apr 18, 2019 9:55 AM

Apr 2019
I hate it. I find it annoying and the tunes suck
Apr 18, 2019 9:57 AM

Apr 2013
Rap is like the worst genre ever, they don't even play their own instruments and just talk, it's literally not music! You can't change my mind cause I have goddamn patrician taste for music!...

Boi.... Rap has the Based God, best genre ever and if you don't like it fix ur ears!!!

hrm anyways, love it fam and the only hip hop I hate is the uncreative crap that people pass off as hip hop.. (tbh only Playboi Carti has took that formula and made it great for me on Die Lit) I've been digging into the depths of hip-hop to prove to fam that it ain't bad like many other misunderstood genres and discovered my god Lil B, Lil Ugly Mane, MF Doom, Dälek, Aesop Rock, Denzel Curry, these fam are great.
Aidoru-OjisanApr 18, 2019 11:01 AM

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Apr 18, 2019 10:11 AM

Nov 2017
Love-hate relationship (more hate though). And I've listened to stuff from its nascent stages all the way to the current era. But for the rap artists I do enjoy, I am ever more grateful since well, they don't suck lol
Apr 18, 2019 10:13 AM

Jul 2016
i don't have any strong feelings about it - there're a few good rap songs that i've enjoyed
listening to but more often than not, i'd prefer to listen to other genres of music anyway.

grouper - no other

0:00 ●━━━━━━─────── 3:46

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ◁ㅤㅤ❚❚ㅤㅤ▷ㅤㅤㅤㅤ↻

⁞⁞⁞ purple cause baal is my wife  ⁞⁞⁞
Apr 18, 2019 10:41 AM

Jun 2015
its deeper than any other genre because of its flexibility and has subgenres with roots from literally every other genre. Most people critisizing it don't understand it. Specifically talking about underground, not neutered industry plant garbage.
Apr 18, 2019 10:58 AM

Jul 2014
I've grown to love it, especially 90s East Coast hip-hop with its smooth, pleasant flows, creative lyrics and jazzy, often experimental instrumentation.

Take care of yourself

Apr 18, 2019 11:33 AM

Apr 2013
^
Nah hip hop was better when he was around and not even around, u just too lazy to seek the good shit fam, almost everyone that thinks hip hop after the 90s is shit is. Cause I like a lot more underground hip hop from this decade compared to 2Pac.

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Apr 18, 2019 11:35 AM
Jul 2018
rap is kind of like the gutter oil of music

I can enjoy it/laugh at it to some extent but then I come back to reality and think about some of the actual master musicians out there and its like aight, on second thought I'm gonna cook my food in cooking oil instead of sewage
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7664 by Pengawas »»
25 minutes ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3420 by scarydragon »»
4 hours ago

» Discuss the last movie you watched ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GloriousHawk - Dec 29, 2012

4831 by FruitPunchBaka »»
5 hours ago

» Post songs that you are addicted to right now

tsukareru - Apr 26

36 by cody »»
Yesterday, 7:18 PM

» Please help, looking for kdrama and korean movie that has half human character

Justamalayboy - Yesterday

0 by Justamalayboy »»
Yesterday, 4:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.