Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 10, 2016 1:09 PM

Aug 2013
Who cares if our main characters wiped the floor with those soldiers? This wasn't a big battle anyway. Clearly the battle was stacked in favor of Yamato, otherwise Oshutoru would never have left them to go on ahead. Literally the only person there that was even able to give them any trouble was the swordsman, and the whole purpose of this battle was to introduce him and get him on Haku's team. I'd find it more strange if they had a hard time with this fight, but then managed to handle a much harder fight in the near future.

As for Haku's plan, of course they didn't get banged up. Neither he* nor Rurutie are very strong, so being in a position to get banged up means that their stealthy infiltration plan has failed and they'd have been captured (plot armor means they wouldn't be killed, but still).

*I suspect that Haku is much stronger now than he thinks he is. He was able to knock out those two guards pretty easily. Cleaning ditches is hard work! Lots of exercise! I also think he doesn't have a firm grasp on how strong the twins are either, or he might have used them differently in the plan.
Jan 10, 2016 2:16 PM

Jul 2007
-Thistlek- said:
Good to finally see that its starting to find the story. Overall I was entertained by this episode and looking forward to episode 15. Did this episode fix all of the shows problems... No.

Funny you are saying about this "finding its story" when this episode was 100% action and no actual plot progression.

My biggest problem, but also most respected aspect about this episode was the way the battles turned out. The main characters to some seem to have "Plot Armor" I was a bit annoyed at how easily these characters whom were mostly drinking tea, drinking, sleeping, partying, and taking baths every hour get right into the fight and wipe the floor with the enemy.

How is someone, who was shown to casually be able to sink a ship, taking out a batallion of soldiers weird?
Kuon being strong also makes sense considering who her parents are and who raised her. WE also already seen that she is plenty strong and ninja-like in Ep2 when she saved falling Haku.

Hopefully we will see this fighting get more balanced throughout the anime since with any strategy game you have to balance your grunt troops and your hero troops to stay alive. Just look at how Dekoponpo performed in this type of battle.

Its turn based strategy rpg. The "elites" are what you control and what matters. And UTWR franchise has always been about that. Tactics of leaders and strength of powerhouses are what decides the outcome - not the grunt soldiers.

PaleBlue said:
Who cares if our main characters wiped the floor with those soldiers? This wasn't a big battle anyway. Clearly the battle was stacked in favor of Yamato, otherwise Oshutoru would never have left them to go on ahead. Literally the only person there that was even able to give them any trouble was the swordsman, and the whole purpose of this battle was to introduce him and get him on Haku's team. I'd find it more strange if they had a hard time with this fight, but then managed to handle a much harder fight in the near future.

Yeah. The fact that we are still only on Ep14 out of 25-26 should tell it all. Grunts this early in the story should not pose that much threat.

As for Haku's plan, of course they didn't get banged up. Neither he* nor Rurutie are very strong, so being in a position to get banged up means that their stealthy infiltration plan has failed and they'd have been captured (plot armor means they wouldn't be killed, but still).

Well Haku did get damaged. By a kid. xD

*I suspect that Haku is much stronger now than he thinks he is. He was able to knock out those two guards pretty easily. Cleaning ditches is hard work! Lots of exercise! I also think he doesn't have a firm grasp on how strong the twins are either, or he might have used them differently in the plan.

Haku is not a bad fighter. He simply just happens to be the weakest on the team, because of how strong everyone else is. Atui is a bonafide monster, Kuon grew up being raised by strongest Tuskuru's fighters, Rurutie has a screeching ball of death that is Kokopo, Oshutoru/Ukon can split mountains, even the more pathetic people like Maroro can set things on fire with their mind.

The twins have not shown anything special till this portion of the game. Even them saving Haku from the arrow is an anime original improvement, which works wonders in establishing them as more than fanservice/comedy stand-ins.
AhenshihaelJan 10, 2016 2:21 PM
Jan 10, 2016 9:43 PM

Jun 2008
Fai said:
Even them saving Haku from the arrow is an anime original improvement, which works wonders in establishing them as more than fanservice/comedy stand-ins.

I was like "Aww they changed Atui for the Twins", but I guess it was a better decision as the twins barely have any appearance all season, while in the game they show up (mostly still veiled) here and there.

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Jan 10, 2016 10:27 PM
Sep 2012
I have two gripes with this episode:

1) Everything seemed way too convenient, the way things turned out. It still got the point across and managed the time very well, but the anime makes it feel like a lot of Haku's accomplishments come from the fact that he's too damn lucky.

2) Haku and co. were looking at a battle between armies before four of them decided to jump down, right? Couldn't Whitefox have animated some Yamato soldiers in the background so it doesn't feel like they managed to curbstomp an entire army all by themselves? It also would've added a chaotic atmosphere to the whole thing, making it feel more like a war.

Otherwise, I think it was fine.
Jan 10, 2016 10:50 PM

Sep 2010
Just as quick to end the battle and downplay the casualties that inevitably occurred earlier as the previous Utawarerumono...

Also, if you saw the prequel, Dekoponpo will inevitably remind you of the first major enemy: Inkara. My first impression is that it was a lot more interesting to watch Inkara run his dynasty into the ground at maximum speed than to watch Dekoponpo lose a ship, a battle, and all respect from the other generals.
Jan 11, 2016 12:13 AM
Oct 2015
So is this season related to the first season as they share some of the character? And btw is eruru still alive?
derenceongJan 11, 2016 1:19 AM
Jan 11, 2016 2:58 AM

Jul 2007
kaimax said:
Fai said:
Even them saving Haku from the arrow is an anime original improvement, which works wonders in establishing them as more than fanservice/comedy stand-ins.

I was like "Aww they changed Atui for the Twins", but I guess it was a better decision as the twins barely have any appearance all season, while in the game they show up (mostly still veiled) here and there.

They did appear before in that fashion(in second episode, third episode and latter).
Its kind of the problem I had with them in source material too. They are described as great but they don't really do anything for quite a while. Having them nonchalantly deflect the arrow helps to establish them as formidable force and leads nicely into Haku's plan to rescue the hostages that followed. It also does not take away from Atui's badassery

derenceong said:
So is this season related to the first season as they share some of the character? And btw is eruru still alive?

Its set 15 years after the previous season so yes it is related. Its pretty much a continuation.

Eruru should be fine since we saw her in Kuon's flashbacks, as part of the group who took care of Kuon after her mother's death.
Jan 11, 2016 4:42 AM

Dec 2014
ok that pretty intense and glorifying if I dare say
Jan 11, 2016 12:37 PM

Feb 2015
NICE action. i knew it would be a good action. great episode overall.
the twins just did an easy job. i want to see them into an hardcore action though.
looking foward to the next episode :D
Jan 11, 2016 1:23 PM

May 2012
Fai said:
So we finally get to see(more since we alrady did) on why Atui is the strongest character in the game.

Animation was okay and nothing above average as expected of a huge fight and its nice that they focused more on tactics than anything else. They certainly will need all the budget they can get for what is coming.

We also got to see more of Haku's tactical skills and also to see him get more and more involved with those people - would we care for Rurutie and Atui without the first half build up? Most likely not. But now we know those people well enough that we can understand why she would want to help those people and how hard this whole situation is on her. We can understand why Haku, even if unwilling, gave in and helped and we can see how much he already changed by involving himself with those people.

Next episode will be a great shitstorm

BS...completely BS.

Fai are you still trying to convince people that the first part of the anime was not garbage? It's funny to see someone trying to convince everyone else that he is right and the others are wrong. You try too hard to see meaning where there is none.

Most people would care for Atui and Rurutie even without 7 episodes of fillers just because they are good and pretty girls. If Rurutie was attacked and killed in the very first episode she appeared people would feel said for her already.

Haku didn't change at all from the beginning. From the get go he was a character pushed around by others because he doesn't have a will to do anything. He went to the war just because his other job sucked and he was fed up with it, that was clearly showed in this episode. Don't say he went to the war because he cared for the girls. He wanted to run away from all the danger, but the girls pushed him to do what they wanted. He can't say no to them when they insist so he always do what they want.

How is this different from the 2nd episode where Kuon forced him to work?
KaeUBWJan 11, 2016 1:30 PM
I despise woke people.
Jan 12, 2016 11:37 AM
Jul 2018
atui was so merciless and it felt like a total different person. also dayum ninja skills! the war scene was nice.
Jan 13, 2016 7:18 AM

Nov 2011
Episode that despite Haku and climate quite unfit to gory and dramatic contexts, still managed to meet my expectations, advancing the plot, building up a good fight and not betraying the nature of the characters, good directing and choreographing the fighting. The drawings and animations are always very good, I immediately the next.
Jan 13, 2016 7:45 AM

Mar 2008
If something here deserves flak, it should be with how culpable Maroro is for the worsening situation.

Seemingly one of the two persons advising the commander and the only one who sees the impending dangers, he surely has an obligation to make himself heard when the stakes are this high. The first pass you might allow for - perhaps him worrying for his position and there not being any concrete evidence of an ambush, but backing down a second time after the first blunder is revealed is simply appalling.

His pining for Haku when he allows himself to be browbeaten by a single 'shut up' speaks appallingly of his character. "Didn't give me a chance to speak" my ass - he quiets himself at the first angry glare and doesn't even attempt to further his case.
This is executable negligence by old standards.

I wanted to like the painted pansy, but this made him worse than the Dekoponpo & sycophant buffoon duo.
Jan 13, 2016 8:27 AM

Jul 2007
Ckan said:
If something here deserves flak, it should be with how culpable Maroro is for the worsening situation.

Seemingly one of the two persons advising the commander and the only one who sees the impending dangers, he surely has an obligation to make himself heard when the stakes are this high. The first pass you might allow for - perhaps him worrying for his position and there not being any concrete evidence of an ambush, but backing down a second time after the first blunder is revealed is simply appalling.

Its not too uncommon for lords like Dekoponpo to execute their own subordinates for "insults". If Maroro spoke more he would most likely be risking death.
Jan 13, 2016 10:18 AM

Jun 2008
Fai said:
Ckan said:

Its not too uncommon for lords like Dekoponpo to execute their own subordinates for "insults". If Maroro spoke more he would most likely be risking death.

Considering Dekoponpo's personality and ego, he can have f-ing Zhuge Liang by his side as his Tactician and will still dismiss his suggestions and tactics.

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Jan 14, 2016 1:50 AM

Mar 2008
Fai said:
Are you taking that from the games or making a leap?

I mean, that's certainly the best explanation that comes to mind, but has the anime given any inkling of him having tendencies that callous? Maybe I've forgotten through all the gags. (The recent moments with the Emperor and his other generals are quite another story of course.) But I just don't think there's been any real hint of capital punishment being commonplace up till this point.

That explanation doesn't sit well with me probably in part due to the depiction of Deko's incompetence and how it's been played for such laughs. (Especially now that we've hit a more 'serious' part, it starts to jar all the more. Harking back, he certainly seemed a more dangerous figure prior to his recent appearances.)

So still, my issue is with the portrayal of the moment as is. Maybe it's that the trio can remain goofy as the penny hasn't quite dropped and the situation wasn't truly dire yet. The next few episodes will obviously clear that up and perhaps contextualise their battle some more.
Still, I think Maroro's role here is something that sticks out, as while normally a character from the protagonist's party is generally absolved of their explicit sins, it's often these small oversights that are forgotten but are particularly criminal from some perspectives.

Since Deko's failure and admonition is a likely prospect in the future, it might be all the more meaningful to remember that Maroro's actions had a significant hand in events.
With Haku putting a question of war's necessity in the air - responsibility and the burden of life is probably an unavoidable theme that'll come up in this war.

And Maroro here seems to have had a real opportunity to have done more. Will snivelling character be addressed? We'll see.

kaimax said:
Considering Dekoponpo's personality and ego, he can have f-ing Zhuge Liang by his side as his Tactician and will still dismiss his suggestions and tactics.
Sure, but the telling difference is that Kongming would then either scheme to set things right and have it his way - or if he were any other upstanding fellow from that genre, he would at least make the moral stand - head or not.

Of course, other more wily advisors might rough it out so as to not bereft their lord of a sane voice - but Maroro clearly has not been depicted as harbouring such convictions in this scene.
CkanJan 14, 2016 1:55 AM
Jan 14, 2016 11:04 AM

Apr 2014
anyone who hates the first 12 episodes don't understand anything about pacing and are honestly making themselves look like idiots.

if u want rushed adaptions and spoon fed fast paced material go see light novel adaptions or manga adaptions
Jan 15, 2016 3:19 AM

Jul 2007
Ckan said:
Are you taking that from the games or making a leap?

I mean, that's certainly the best explanation that comes to mind, but has the anime given any inkling of him having tendencies that callous? Maybe I've forgotten through all the gags. (The recent moments with the Emperor and his other generals are quite another story of course.) But I just don't think there's been any real hint of capital punishment being commonplace up till this point.

We already had a similar situation in the first season involving an incompetent lord. In that case the subordinate/general of his did end up speaking up, only to end up getting imprisoned with the said lord giving the position the general had to another(more incompetent and more bootlicker-ish) person.
Rank is incredibly important in society like that, its not that different to relation between feudal lord and his samurai - disobeying usually means death either by your own hand or by others.

The Emperor might be somewhat nice guy(we don't know that, to be honest - we only see his interactions with Haku as nice and we already know Emperor has some motive behind that), but each lord has control over governing their provinces.

That explanation doesn't sit well with me probably in part due to the depiction of Deko's incompetence and how it's been played for such laughs. (Especially now that we've hit a more 'serious' part, it starts to jar all the more. Harking back, he certainly seemed a more dangerous figure prior to his recent appearances.)

Incompetence is always played as something embarrassing and something to laugh about. In a way Dekoponpo is a homage to UTWR1's first antagonist(who was of the same species).

With Haku putting a question of war's necessity in the air - responsibility and the burden of life is probably an unavoidable theme that'll come up in this war.

The nature and meaninglessness of war is kind of ongoing theme in UTWR so it will surely become relevant. A lot of the conflict in the first one stemmed from incompetence, greed, misunderstanding or just sheer insanity(ex:
)

Sure Uzuruusha are invading and have some unusual tactics, but we already seen what drives their invasion(the overall poverty of their own lands and the ongoing starvation). From Yamato's citizens eyes, Uzuruusha are puny barbarians massacring their people and intent on their destruction. From Uzuruuha's eyes, however, that's just a mere necessity for survival.

And Maroro here seems to have had a real opportunity to have done more. Will snivelling character be addressed? We'll see.

Could Maroro have done something differently? Sure.
Still his fear of crossing a line is in character and justified. Maroro has always been someone with his heart in right place and his brain working at full capacity, yet not having any guts to actually act on it because of cowardice and fear for his own wellbeing.
Jan 15, 2016 3:25 AM

Dec 2013
moodie said:
anyone who hates the first 12 episodes don't understand anything about pacing and are honestly making themselves look like idiots.

if u want rushed adaptions and spoon fed fast paced material go see light novel adaptions or manga adaptions

"We" don't hate the pacing, it's the content that is the problem.
Jan 16, 2016 5:21 PM

Jan 2011
It's kind of enjoyable, but it reeks of game.
Not bad. :)
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jan 20, 2016 1:42 AM

Sep 2010
I find it jarring when Atui and Kuon just jump into battle. It's hard to think of them as fighters when they weren't introduced as such (and they're girls). Kuon isn't even armed. >.>

On the other hand, in the first season, Karura's introduction consists of her escaping captivity when the ship runs aground, then killing all of her captors. Touka's introduction shows her as a powerful warrior from a clan so great that it hurts morale in Hakuoro's army.
Jan 20, 2016 10:57 AM

Sep 2014
Atui was so friggin' awesome.
Samurai guy is pretty cool, also that cute daughter :3
Hope they teach that Dekoponpo dumbass a lesson.
Jan 23, 2016 5:24 AM

Jun 2008
I'm still not quite sure how all this well fed princess girls that spend their time bathing and eating and doing cute things are this powerful exactly. It does seem a little silly.
Also if they are going to this war to represent their fathers why aren't they going with some troops and their flag etc? Is like they are going secretly undercover or something.
With the way they went someone can claim they didn't go at all.

I am more interested in seeing what the generals can do for now. Excluding the silly fat guy of course.
Btw the bird thing must be a karate master. Best fighter ever.

Also Haku it seems can be come more powerful without training. It seems he power-ups with the number of the episodes instead.
And the big mean guys just couldn't be mean to that little girl because she was so moe. Because of that they decided to give her her own tent and plenty of food. Facepalm.

Fai said:
So we finally get to see(more since we alrady did) on why Atui is the strongest character in the game.

Animation was okay and nothing above average as expected of a huge fight and its nice that they focused more on tactics than anything else. They certainly will need all the budget they can get for what is coming.

We also got to see more of Haku's tactical skills and also to see him get more and more involved with those people - would we care for Rurutie and Atui without the first half build up? Most likely not. But now we know those people well enough that we can understand why she would want to help those people and how hard this whole situation is on her. We can understand why Haku, even if unwilling, gave in and helped and we can see how much he already changed by involving himself with those people.

Next episode will be a great shitstorm

Sorry but we could have all that shit with 7 episodes of built-up. Hell we could have had their characters expand by their reactions to events instead of just watching them bullshiting around.
You attempts to make it seem like everything is perfect in the way this show is made is pathetic.

moodie said:

What silly people like you don't get is that we aren't talking about how is adapted. We are talking about the quality of the show we watch, simple as that. We do not give a fuck if the source material was also like that. If it was also like that then it's bad too. Or maybe as a game or whatever it doesn't feel as annoying. Whatever the case we are talking about the anime we are watching.
I am sick of people like you that praise any shit as long as it's faithful to the original. Like the original is written by God or something and if something follows it's pacing and events faithfully it must be 10/10.
MonadJan 23, 2016 11:18 AM
Jan 28, 2016 5:30 PM

Sep 2013
Finally some action.
Mar 12, 2016 3:07 PM

Oct 2012
Pretty average and random episode.. And Haku's attitude will be doom of this series. He just don't care... And viewers have tendency to watch a series through MC's eyes.

This war is more just comedy than real deal, fights are lacking atmosphere, there are no real risks at all and they were running towards the front lines pretty happily without any real plan, sigh. They made this more into comedy than real deal.

When comparing to the first Utawarerumono this is big disappointment.
May 21, 2022 10:22 AM
Jul 2018
The dynamic between Jackdwalt and Shinonon is very cute, looking forward to seeing more of them.
Dec 29, 2022 12:16 AM

Dec 2018
90 percent of this episode was boring trash and bad direction. absolutely no way this show can redeem itself at this point.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 14, 2015

106 by Grantlyn »»
Dec 14, 2023 9:48 PM

Poll: » Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 17, 2015

97 by Lolicon »»
Nov 8, 2023 9:33 PM

Poll: » Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2015

100 by tinker3bellz1 »»
Oct 19, 2023 6:56 PM

Poll: » Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2016

241 by StateofOhayo »»
Dec 29, 2022 1:43 PM

Poll: » Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2016

99 by StateofOhayo »»
Dec 29, 2022 1:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.