Forum Settings
Forums

Can you speak another language besides your native one?

New
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 11, 2016 6:44 AM

Oct 2015
I speak seven languages, my mind is a right mess. I'm constantly switching in what language I'm thinking in, and when I'm speaking Dutch I tend to mix English words into it.
Jan 11, 2016 6:54 AM

Jan 2016
Can speak English. I wanna learn more Nihongo tho.
Jan 11, 2016 7:22 AM

Jun 2015
obviously my native language is english, but i'm almost fluent in spanish too. I understand all of the conjugation/grammar rules but a lot of random words (mostly nouns) escape my mind when talking.
Jan 11, 2016 7:34 AM

Dec 2015
it's so good that people are actually interested in learning more languages.
Jan 11, 2016 8:00 AM

Oct 2007
I'm a native Spanish speaker but I've been using English (in a non-English speaking country) for around 17 years. I took 3 years of German in college and I've learned some, but it's the one I practice the least, so I've lost a lot of it. I understand more than I can say.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Jan 11, 2016 8:07 AM

May 2015
Other than my native language I only know French.
Jan 11, 2016 8:09 AM

Mar 2015
Yes, 3 of them. But only a little, I'm not even fluent in my native language. I speak in English often or all of the time since young.
Gin-chan said:
Anime - it's not something that can be thought of in a hall for conferences. It is made out of strange juices current from the brain of animators.
Jan 11, 2016 8:26 AM

Jan 2014
Yes, English and I understand Spanish quite well.
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.
Jan 11, 2016 9:16 AM
Dec 2015
I can speak english, finnish and a bit of french and swedish. I just dislike that swedish is a mandatory subject in finnish schools but english isn't. It makes no sense to me.
Jan 11, 2016 9:22 AM

Jan 2009
Sw_Star24 said:
it's so good that people are actually interested in learning more languages.
Being interested is one Thing, actually doing it the other. I commend everyone who actively learns another Language, because I'm not.

tsuyokunaru said:
I'm a native Spanish speaker but I've been using English (in a non-English speaking country) for around 17 years. I took 3 years of German in college and I've learned some, but it's the one I practice the least, so I've lost a lot of it. I understand more than I can say.
Loosing the Ability to actively use a secondary, non-native Language happens very fast if you don't use it at least from Time to Time.
Jan 11, 2016 9:22 AM

Jan 2015
I'm a native Spanish speaker, the only language I can speak is English and it's not that good. I still need to improve my pronunciation a lot.
Jan 11, 2016 9:30 AM

Jul 2013
ニホンゴ、エイゴ

wwww
Jan 11, 2016 9:32 AM

May 2015
FinnishAnimeGirl said:
I can speak english, finnish and a bit of french and swedish. I just dislike that swedish is a mandatory subject in finnish schools but english isn't. It makes no sense to me.

It's one of the official languages, makes perfect sense to me.
Jan 11, 2016 9:38 AM

Nov 2015
I can speak my native language Serbian(Bosnian, Croatian), English and a little bit of German.
Jan 11, 2016 9:42 AM

Jan 2014
Ich kann spreche sehr beschissen Deutsch.

Very far from fluency, which I blame largely on my stupidity when it comes to certain types of declension. Someday.

I also tried learning Esperanto for a day, but said, "Wait, I'm never going to use this." and stopped.
Jan 11, 2016 10:01 AM

May 2009
I speak Dutch (native tongue) and English (secondary language).

I would like to learn German (again), as I was good at it in junior high, but had to drop it in favor for the scientific courses.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 11, 2016 10:28 AM

Jan 2009
Clockwerk said:
I'm a native Spanish speaker, the only language I can speak is English and it's not that good. I still need to improve my pronunciation a lot.
I don't want to know how bad my pronunciation is, especially when I don't actually know that one or confuse it like accidentally pronouncing "Anger" as a Word rhyming on "Danger".

btw.:If you're a native Spanish Speaker, why is the only Language you can speak "English" and not Spanish as well?

Sabylas said:
Well, I've certainly noticed that you didn't use the Infinitive at the End of the Sentence or even the Infinitive at all.

AO968 said:
I speak Dutch (native tongue) and English (secondary language).

I would like to learn German (again), as I was good at it in junior high, but had to drop it in favor for the scientific courses.
Just watch some German TV Program or get some German Books, then. If you already know the Base Grammar and a decently enough Amount of Vocabulary, it shouldn't be too difficult considering the similar Structure.
NoboruJan 11, 2016 10:31 AM
Jan 11, 2016 11:04 AM

Jun 2013
I speak Polish (my native language) and English. I've been learning German for 5 years. Currently learning Japanese and Russian.
Jan 11, 2016 11:55 AM

Oct 2014
I speak Dutch (native language) and English. I'm also pretty okay at French and German. I'd love to take lessons in French again 'cause I think it's a beautiful language, but unfortunately that's not possible at my current school.
At the moment, I'm learning Icelandic and Japanese.
Jan 11, 2016 11:57 AM
Jul 2018
english :000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
but yeah english my native language was spanish but now I rarely use it besides using it to talk to my mom
Jan 11, 2016 12:09 PM

Jan 2016
My native language is Albanian, but I can speak Serbian, English and French fluently or nearly fluently.
Jan 11, 2016 12:26 PM

Apr 2013
Outside of French (mother language), I speak english and Japanese. I've learned German and Latin in the past but I can't speak them.
I'd like to speak more honestly. If I was sure to not start being very confused between language, I would have probably started already.
Jan 11, 2016 12:36 PM

Dec 2015
Tried to learn Spanish and even took a course. But, I kinda forgot about it.
Jan 11, 2016 12:48 PM

Jul 2014
Besides my native language I am more or less fluent in English. Though I have so little spoken practice, that I am not sure I can actually speak it that well.
I learnt different amounts of Spanish, German and French at some points, but I could speak a bit only Spanish among them.
deadoptimistJan 11, 2016 1:14 PM
Jan 11, 2016 12:51 PM

Aug 2013
I only speak English and demand the whole world just accepts English as humanity's voice however I would like to learn Arabic and German, perhaps if there's ever time.
Jan 11, 2016 12:53 PM

Jul 2014
Noboru said:
Well, I've certainly noticed that you didn't use the Infinitive at the End of the Sentence or even the Infinitive at all.

German is difficult! There're cases, articles and cases for articles! It's hell! I don't understand articles in the first place, and while thinking about them I also have to choose forms! D: Also syntax... The structure is very hard- you need to plan all the sentence in advance, cause detachable prefixes migrate to the end!

Sorry, I just needed to vent it.

kawaiiyuris said:
yeah, but i was thinking of usefulness (mainly career related). russian is not gonna be too useful except for talking to russians.
i mean compare it to spanish, for example.

As a Russian who knew moderately decent Spanish, I must say that unless you go to Spain of Latin America you don't use Spanish too. I think that English is enough to access the biggest net and to travel as a tourist. Also Russian is still known in many countries of the former Eastern block. But I won't argue that you probably can't use Russian for anything interesting. We don't have world-class popular culture. There's literature, but it's everywhere.
deadoptimistJan 11, 2016 1:27 PM
Jan 11, 2016 1:30 PM

Jan 2009
deadoptimist said:
German is difficult! There're cases, articles and cases for articles! It's hell! I don't understand articles in the first place, and while thinking about them I also have to choose forms! D:
It's not impossible, considering how many have managed to successfully learn it. Articles are like Filler Words to specify a specific Subject or Object directly or indirectly. For Instance, "a dog" is just 1 random Dog where specifying it doesn't really matter, but "the dog" means it is one special Dog which should be in the Focus of the Reader or Listener.

Also syntax... The structure is very hard- you need to plan all the sentence in advance, cause detachable prefixes migrate to the end!
You just need to think in Boxes and plan what you want to say before.
Jan 11, 2016 1:45 PM

Jul 2014
Noboru said:
It's not impossible, considering how many have managed to successfully learn it. Articles are like Filler Words to specify a specific Subject or Object directly or indirectly. For Instance, "a dog" is just 1 random Dog where specifying it doesn't really matter, but "the dog" means it is one special Dog which should be in the Focus of the Reader or Listener.

You just need to think in Boxes and plan what you want to say before.

Of course, I've learnt what articles theoretically are, but we don't have this cathegory, so we just don't develop ability to discern between certain objects and objects in general. So in any difficult case it takes a lot of thinking on our part.

And thinking in boxes is difficult! (Also thanks for the link.) In many languages you can change the structure half-way.
I remember our teacher bringing a scientific German text for us to translate - it's like a puzzle: a box into box into box, and also a quest: try to find that affix somewhere two pages later.
...but then he brought us a book by a Swiss author, with dialect words and a ton of difficult tenses. It took me 2 hours to translate one page! Two! Though the magazine text about literature was the worst, we got lost in the syntax of it to never emerge again. I remember that despair of our best students.

However, of course, you can probably get through it, and many of my problems have to do with my mother language. But still German is fairly hard.
Jan 11, 2016 2:06 PM

Jan 2009
deadoptimist said:
Of course, I've learnt what articles theoretically are, but we don't have this cathegory, so we just don't develop ability to discern between certain objects and objects in general. So in any difficult case it takes a lot of thinking on our part.
Just because you don't have a certain Characteristic in your native Language doesn't mean you won't be able to learn it. But I can see where you're from, because English f.i. has Tenses we don't have and picking up the right one is one of the most difficult Topics, especially when they don't even exist.

Isn't playing Puzzle fun?
I would have been probably pretty salty as well if I had to learn German in School^^

Instead of focusing on the negative Points, be glad that
- you don't have to learn another Alphabet or even a few thousand Characters
- you don't have to learn different Pitches
- there aren't over a Dozen different Cases
- Tenses don't really matter that much
- the Spelling System isn't arbitrary
Jan 11, 2016 2:30 PM

Jul 2014
Noboru said:
Isn't playing Puzzle fun?
I would have been probably pretty salty as well if I had to learn German in School^^

Instead of focusing on the negative Points, be glad that
- you don't have to learn another Alphabet or even a few thousand Characters
- you don't have to learn different Pitches
- there aren't over a Dozen different Cases
- Tenses don't really matter that much
- the Spelling System isn't arbitrary

Yeah, I must agree that it's somewhat fun.
It was Uni, btw. So I also was doing it pretty late.

Well, it's a different alphabet for me, though yeah, it's latin, which I used before.
Can't agree more about pitches. That'd be horrible, I don't have good musical hearing.
Four cases is enough, cause it's a constant pain, but yeah, Finns seem to have 13 or 14 of them, and we have 6. I am a bit hypocritical, when I complain here. But cases for articles is a double kill!
Spelling is ok, I like the funny letters with dots over them (I had to draw them on my keyboard tho).
Also the composite words are interesting.

All in all I didn't fully grasp the language that time. German does feel like lego sometimes - you need to learn how to get the meaning out of things put together, be it the composite words or the verbs with affixes. And the short words like "doch" complicate things a bit.
But it's an interesting change of pace from other languages. A language carries a way of thinking and the one German has seems pretty useful.
Jan 11, 2016 3:05 PM
Nov 2012
My native language is Chinese, but I moved to France when I was 9 and I have now spent 11 years here. So I'm fluent in French and I've also been learning Japanese for like 6 years.
My english is so-so I guess, but good enough to handle a basic conversation.
Jan 11, 2016 6:01 PM
Apr 2015
I'm french so I know Français pretty well, I dare say. I usualy have no trouble with English aside from a few grammatical shennanigans (Probably wrote that really wrong). I'm also learning 日本語 in a kind of all over the place way, so I can't really say I'm fluent yet.

I can't literaly ''speak'' because I have an ass accent and pronounciation due to my actual accent being really, really odd naturaly. I also have this thing where I can't say stuff right because I was basicaly never speaking outside monosyllabic anwsers when I was young and that ended fucking over my pronounciation royaly. My english is so damn bad T.T At least my 日本語 is a tiny bit better because they use mostly a lot of sounds that are also in french, just in an unusual order. It doesn't help that I can't speak fast either ._. Oh well.
Jan 11, 2016 6:26 PM

Nov 2014
I speak English, I'm teaching myself French, and I take Latin.
Jan 11, 2016 7:01 PM

Aug 2012
Yep, Engish and a bit of Spanish. My native language is Brazilian Portuguese.
"Could you not talk with me? I'm busy breathing."
Jan 11, 2016 7:13 PM

Jun 2014
Native language is English but I know some Spanish. I don't know enough enough to have full on conversations with people though lol
Jan 11, 2016 7:40 PM

Jan 2014
Noboru said:

I get that right one out of ten times. Sometimes I'll just hope that adding a "ge" or an "n", and moving the verb to the end of the clause will work. I decided to play it safe this time.
Jan 11, 2016 11:55 PM

Jul 2015
My English is okay and I'm fluent in drunken speech.
Jan 12, 2016 12:27 AM

Mar 2008
Sabylas said:

Very far from fluency, which I blame largely on my stupidity when it comes to certain types of declension. Someday.

I also tried learning Esperanto for a day, but said, "Wait, I'm never going to use this." and stopped.

I tried Espernto too and decided it sounds retarded when spoken and I have no use for it online.
Jan 12, 2016 6:37 AM

Jan 2009
deadoptimist said:
But cases for articles is a double kill!
They're rather repetitive, so you don't have to learn as many different Forms as it may look.

All in all I didn't fully grasp the language that time. German does feel like lego sometimes - you need to learn how to get the meaning out of things put together, be it the composite words or the verbs with affixes. And the short words like "doch" complicate things a bit.
You just need to take a Look at the fixed Verb/Suffix/Predicate Positions + corresponding Subjects or Objects and at the final Word of a Compound. Then treat everything else as Filler Information, including Modal Particles such as "doch".

Sabylas said:
I get that right one out of ten times. Sometimes I'll just hope that adding a "ge" or an "n", and moving the verb to the end of the clause will work. I decided to play it safe this time.
The "n" is already included in the Infinitive or there is no single German Verb which is not ending on "-n" in the Infinitive.
Adding a "ge" is only for the Perfect and many strong Verbs require a Vowel Change. At least, quite a few are similar to their English Counterparts.
Jan 12, 2016 6:46 AM

Jan 2015
Yes. I can speak proper English, understand American and Canadian and have some German French and Japanese just for the hell
Jan 12, 2016 9:10 AM

Jun 2012
I can (sort of) speak English and I'm struggling with Russian and French, but mostly English.
Jan 12, 2016 10:01 AM

May 2015
I can speak Armenian as my native language, but also English pretty well.
Jan 12, 2016 6:31 PM

Jun 2014
I am a native speaker of English, but I know a good bit of Spanish (I can read and write it, but I feel like Spanish speakers talk to fast)

As for a third language, I am interested in one of the three: Dutch, Portuguese, or Gaelic.
Jan 12, 2016 7:01 PM

Apr 2014
Native English speaker. I took French in school, and know Chinese to some extent; I'm dabbling in Norwegian and Dutch, and can 'translate' the letters of Greek and Russian into the English alphabet, but that doesn't really count; it's more of a convenience I picked up for traveling purposes ^^'

[ a ] [ i ] wo atsumete
たくさん の あい お あつめたら
tumblr
ことば で きみ に とどけよう
deviantart
みえない きもち お かたち に したら
last.fm
こころ の なか まで とどく から

Jan 12, 2016 7:39 PM

Apr 2013
My native language is Spanish, but I know English and I'm learning Japonese.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 12, 2016 7:40 PM
Jul 2018
I'm learning, at least? Nipponese is hard. But I suppose I have to work hard because I actually get a grade on it. No "1 week of Rosetta Stone" for me.
Jan 12, 2016 9:49 PM

May 2013
English is my native language. I can speak arabic also.
Jan 12, 2016 11:58 PM
Feb 2014
Yes, I speak Korean (Gyeongsang dialect to be exact) with family members and many friends and a little bit of Spanish and Japanese but not fluency or anything close.
Jan 13, 2016 5:42 AM
Jul 2018
I speak my native language (Polish), I'm learning German and English at school. German is secondary language. In childhood I liked to watch German programs (hehe, Ben 10 xP). Outside school I'm learning Japanese (slowly -,-).
removed-userJan 13, 2016 5:46 AM
Jan 13, 2016 9:55 AM

Feb 2015
Spanish, English and a little bit of Italian ( just what I learned while studying abroad)
∠( ᐛ 」∠)_
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you care about your native culture? ( 1 2 )

Kamikaze_404 - Apr 9

50 by LoveYourEyes »»
23 minutes ago

» which country would you NOT want to visit? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 27

73 by MalchikRepaid »»
58 minutes ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

79 by dreamingneon »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

55 by dreamingneon »»
2 hours ago

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

48 by TheMechaManiac »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.