Forum Settings
Forums

Surprising linguistic Proof that the Koran was misinterpreted all along

New
Dec 28, 2015 1:31 PM

Jan 2009
According to Wikipedia, the literal Meaning of the Koran means something along the Lines of a "Recitation".
However, if you compare it to the Old High German word (gi-)koran ("gekoren" in literal German) which means "chosen" and compare it with "auserkoren" which could be translated with "predestined", then it's more accurate to imagine the Book as something in which the Reader is "predestined". And how could a Reader be "predestined"? By giving him a Trial (or "Prüfung" in modern German). Here is a List of a few Arabic Words mentioned (in German) with their (Old) High German Counterparts:

What is striking is that "Allahu" is not that much different from "allmahu" or "Allmächtiger" in modern German ("the Allmighty one"). Even the Scripture was misinterpreted all along, as the following Video shows here (in German):

If Arabic got misinterpreted, then other Languages like Japanese might have been misinterpreted all along as well, as shown in the following Example taken from here (in German) :
"Biru wo nonte moo yoi desu" ("I'd like to drink a beer") which is nothing more than "Bior nemanti maga guot sin" or "Bier nehmen mag gut sein" (compare Berlin dialectal "jut" [yoot] for "gut") or "to take a Beer may be good". Or compare "taberu" with "tafeln" which is the more refined and rather poetical Way to describe that you're eating something in German.

Now regardless how incredible it would sound if all Kinds of Languages were to stem from a Form of Old High German or are at the very least related to it, is the Picture of the Arabic Language as the Language of Scholars and the Japanese Language as the Language of a refined People I'm getting through these Kinds of Interpretations vaguely correct?
Does that mean, that with the Help of Old High German, you could easily make Sense off all Kinds of different Cultures and Languages, even when their Origin is rather sparely documented like in the Ethonym for the Hungarians which is "Magyar" ( = "Magier" from "magi" the wise one or the Magician)? Are all Languages or at least their basic Ideas closer related than what we might have thought?
What is your Stance on this Type of Derivation? Too much of unscientific Non-Sense that somehow makes Sense? Have you found another incredible Theory that might have a real Essence?
NoboruApr 2, 2018 11:33 AM
Dec 28, 2015 1:48 PM
Oct 2010
Also notable is how the butt pronounces 'Koran' as 'Krang' when people fart, indicating a deep connection between the holy book and teenage mutant ninja turtles.
Dec 28, 2015 2:07 PM

Jul 2015
This doesn't prove anything. Different languages have many similar sounding words: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_cognate
Dec 28, 2015 2:29 PM

Jan 2009
Chiki said:
This doesn't prove anything. Different languages have many similar sounding words: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_cognate
Thanks for providing the first serious Answer in this Thread.

I have a few Questions about it, though:

1) How can you prove whether they are false Cognates or actually do share a common etymological Root?

2) If the Languages have similar sounding Words, does that mean that purely different Languages have had similar Developments in the Past?

3) Which would be the Language which has or has had the most Similarities to most other Languages at the respective Time?
Dec 28, 2015 2:47 PM

Mar 2012
Ever notice how if you play the word dog backwards on repeat, it sort of sounds like god?
Mayuka said:

did you call

holier than thou bitch right here

last.fm

Dec 28, 2015 2:56 PM

Jan 2009
Rat said:
Cherry picked words that sound similar and might just have a loose connection to between the definition and the context, is far from convincing.
It's like the lighter case of the Vedas and Russian.
How would a convincing Proof look like, then and what is "the lighter case of the Vedas and Russian"?

How did you come to that Conclusion? Have you read the whole Book already?

truisms said:
Ever notice how if you play the word dog backwards on repeat, it sort of sounds like god?
A "Dog" is considered Man's best Friend, so maybe that could be a common Position for both God and Dog. However, I get what you wanted to convey. It's just a foolish little Play on Words but sometimes, a little bit of Wisdom can lie in the most unexpected Places. Or is it rather wrong to look for Relations where there doesn't seem to be one?
Dec 28, 2015 3:02 PM

Jul 2015
Noboru said:
Chiki said:
Thanks for providing the first serious Answer in this Thread.

I have a few Questions about it, though:

1) How can you prove whether they are false Cognates or actually do share a common etymological Root?

2) If the Languages have similar sounding Words, does that mean that purely different Languages have had similar Developments in the Past?

3) Which would be the Language which has or has had the most Similarities to most other Languages at the respective Time?

1. You can't, and that's enough to show that this "proof" isn't a proof. As long as there is a chance that they are false cognates, this isn't a proof.

I also think that it is very likely that these are just false cognates.

2. Coincidence.

3. Who knows? Studying past languages is one of the hardest things in science due to the lack of evidence.
Dec 28, 2015 3:05 PM

Mar 2012
Noboru said:

truisms said:
A "Dog" is considered Man's best Friend, so maybe that could be a common Position for both God and Dog. However, I get what you wanted to convey. It's just a foolish little Play on Words but sometimes, a little bit of Wisdom can lie in the most unexpected Places. Or is it rather wrong to look for Relations where there doesn't seem to be one?

I don't get what you are trying to say here.
Mayuka said:

did you call

holier than thou bitch right here

last.fm

Dec 28, 2015 3:12 PM

Jan 2009
Chiki said:

1. You can't, and that's enough to show that this "proof" isn't a proof. As long as there is a chance that they are false cognates, this isn't a proof.

I also think that it is very likely that these are just false cognates.

2. Coincidence.

3. Who knows? Studying past languages is one of the hardest things in science due to the lack of evidence.

1) So basically, you don't need a Counter-Proof to validate whether something is true or not. Fair enough, but that still leaves the Option that it might be true.

2) "Coincidence" in the Sense of "A remarkable concurrence of events or circumstances without apparent causal connection" or in "Correspondence in nature or in time of occurrence"?

3) Which is why Linguists go for the "safer" and more prestigious Option to analyze generic Characteristics of Human Languages instead of trying to find Answer to the Questions like how a specific Language has developed and what was its Influence on the respective Culture?

edit:
truisms said:
I don't get what you are trying to say here.
I just wanted to find something that could be connected with both "dog" and "god" and whether doing something like this would be absolutely useless or could have a surprising bit of Wisdom in it.
NoboruDec 28, 2015 3:16 PM
Dec 28, 2015 3:17 PM

Mar 2008
There is a different way to interpret this. Something like the Jungian universal conciousness. That languages separated can create similar sounds for similar concepts. Perhaps caused by a certain level of synaesthesia that is universally common.
Dec 28, 2015 3:34 PM

Jan 2009
Rat said:
No I have not read the Whole book and it's true to any religious book.
But the Book in the PDF Document isn't a religious Book, unless I've misunderstood you completely and you were referring to the Koran all along.

Anyway: The Point of this Thread isn't to prove whether what is written in the Koran is something that should be followed or not and I haven't intended for it to become a Topic like that, so let's keep on leaving religious Stances out of this Thread.

Rat said:
A good deal of words that carry a meaning of lesser significance (i.e Carrot, Dismemberment, Pinkie, Pie etc.) that still fit in the context after being proved as logically possible interpretations.
I don't quite get that. Does it mean that you don't have to comprehend every single Word to get the Meaning of something?

Vedas is an interesting Word, because there are Terms which are found in other Indo-Germanic or Indo-European Languages such as "video" or "wit".
If "Vedas" really means "nothing", then "weder" (or "weda" in exaggerated, colloquial German) which means "neither" could be at least a false Cognate.

traed said:
There is a different way to interpret this. Something like the Jungian universal conciousness. That languages separated can create similar sounds for similar concepts. Perhaps caused by a certain level of synaesthesia that is universally common.
Dammit! There is so much I could look up, but I don't really find the Time to look for the fitting Theories myself, so I'll appreciate the Hint you've given me, thanks for that. I'd like to know, though, what you mean "by a certain level of synaesthesia that is universally common", I mean: isn't Synaesthesia like hearing Colors or something like that?
NoboruDec 28, 2015 3:39 PM
Dec 28, 2015 3:48 PM

Mar 2008
Noboru said:
Dammit! There is so much I could look up, but I don't really find the Time to look for the fitting Theories myself, so I'll appreciate the Hint you've given me, thanks for that. I'd like to know, though, what you mean "by a certain level of synaesthesia that is universally common", I mean: isn't Synaesthesia like hearing Colors or something like that?
It is any sense that is mixed. So a sound with an emotion behind it for example. Maybe something like an ideophone could be possible.
Dec 28, 2015 4:34 PM

Jan 2009
traed said:
It is any sense that is mixed. So a sound with an emotion behind it for example. Maybe something like an ideophone could be possible.
Hmm, an Ideophone doesn't have to combine Emotions with Language, but is rather using onomatopoeic Words like in "cuckoo". I don't deny that the sheer Sound of Words could invoke certain Emotions, even if you don't speak the Language. At least that's something you can experience when you listen to Songs in a different Language.

Rat said:
My bad it was me who misunderstood you. I'm too tired to keep this conversation going now unfortunately.
Don't sweat it and feel free to continue if and whenever you like. I'm just going to answer your Posting before going to sleep myself.

Rat said:
I mean that in the OP you provided example of words that carry a significant meaning that can bear weight in both languages. However words of significant meaning tend to be associated with everything, misinterpreted and new "origins" are added to their etymology everyday.
Ah that explains a few Things, thanks. Does that in Turn mean, that it's more likely to find Similarities in Words that carry a significant Meaning because the Concepts are similar like in the mentioned Words for "God" ("Gott") or "Water" ("Wasser") which is mentioned several Times?

Rat said:
So what I'm Implying is that IMO the possible misinterpretation of the Quran is very unlikely and to prove that the word Allahu or Koran Possibly mean something in ~German, to convince humble me, you'll have to focus on the "little" words first.
But I don't want to do that and I've never intended to do so. It's more about finding out whether a crazy Theory like this one can have the smallest Bits of Truth in it and focusing on the rather unimportant Words to definitely prove a Relationship wasn't my Intention, either.

I can recall you having mentioned that you can actively speak multiple Languages which is quite amazing imho. May I ask which ones those are aside from Hebrew and possibly: Russian since you've mentioned that Language above? Also, if you don't mind, I'd like to read a few Examples of the Surprises you've experienced.
And don't sweat it about Religion, I have an Aversion against People that try to convince me towards a specific Faith as well ;)
Dec 28, 2015 4:36 PM

Apr 2013
Koran also means newspaper in Indonesian.

The correct spelling is Qur'an
Dec 28, 2015 4:36 PM

Jul 2015
if you talk gibberish to anyone in the world
they will respond with 'huh?' or 'haah?'
regardless of their language
Dec 28, 2015 4:45 PM

Jan 2009
Haruka said:
Koran also means newspaper in Indonesian.
So that makes the Koran a Book of Information about current Events, then? ^^
I prefer the Spelling "Koran", because it's closer to the IPA [/kɔrˈɑːn], at least I don't see a [kjur] "Qur" appearing in the Word.

Salvatia said:
if you talk gibberish to anyone in the world
they will respond with 'huh?' or 'haah?'
regardless of their language
A fine Example that some simple basic Expressions are applicable to different Peoples.
Dec 28, 2015 4:51 PM

Jan 2015
I think the words just happen to sound similar in different languages.
Spanish and Hungarian both have 'alma', but in one language it means soul and in the other it means apple.

Using Japanese is usually a bad idea since it's an isolated language, and it's hard to find a connection to languages from countries closer to Japan (China, Korea, Russia, etc.). Logically speaking, if Japanese had some connection to Old High German, it should also have some connection to Asian countries closer to Japan. Unless it turns out the old Germans went sailing sometime b.c. and influenced Japanese and both the Japanese and the Germanic clerks failed to record this event in their works.

Hungarian is also a bad example to bring up since they arrived in Europe in the 850s, and before that they were somewhere deep inside Asia (present day Russia and Ukraine). We haven't made connection with any European nations, and by the time we arrived in Europe our language was already evolved (to the extent where tribal names such as magyar already existed), so Old High German influencing Hungarian is unlikely.

Noboru said:
Have you found another incredible Theory that might have a real Essence?
Kaka means shit in Hungarian and cake in Swedish. Norwegians and Danes tend to call Swedes many bad things including shiteaters so maybe there is a connection.
Dec 28, 2015 5:11 PM

Jan 2009
Homuranagi said:
Spanish and Hungarian both have 'alma', but in one language it means soul and in the other it means apple.
They're false Friends, then, just like "Kaka" or "cake". Talking about it "kaka" (probably written differently) is also the Romanian Word for the same Thing and the German Counterpart would be "Kacke".

Homuranagi said:
Unless it turns out the old Germans went sailing sometime b.c. and influenced Japanese and both the Japanese and the Germanic clerks failed to record this event in their works.
This or someone else pampered with the History. But realistically spoken, I'm rather imagining it that there have been either a common Ancestor for both Languages in the distant Past or that both Languages have made similar Developments with a few Words.

But the old Germanic Peoples that would eventually create the German People hadn't always been in the Area of Central Europe as well.
What is with the Words "huz" ("Haus"/"house"), "mü" ("Arbeit"/"work" in the Sense of "Mühe"/"effort") or with the Proverb "Ezer eve nem lattam" which should mean something along the Lines of "I haven't seen you for a thousand Years" but contains the "ewig" or "ever"?
Dec 28, 2015 5:24 PM

Mar 2008
Noboru said:
Hmm, an Ideophone doesn't have to combine Emotions with Language, but is rather using onomatopoeic Words like in "cuckoo". I don't deny that the sheer Sound of Words could invoke certain Emotions, even if you don't speak the Language. At least that's something you can experience when you listen to Songs in a different Language.

" Sound-symbolism, or the direct link between sound and meaning, is typologically and behaviorally attested across languages. However, neuroimaging research has mostly focused on artificial non-words or individual segments, which do not represent sound-symbolism in natural language. We used EEG to compare Japanese ideophones, which are phonologically distinctive sound-symbolic lexical words, and arbitrary adverbs during a sentence reading task. Ideophones elicit a larger visual P2 response than arbitrary adverbs, as well as a sustained late positive complex. Our results and previous literature suggest that the larger P2 may indicate the integration of sound and sensory information by association in response to the distinctive phonology of ideophones. The late positive complex may reflect the facilitated lexical retrieval of arbitrary words in comparison to ideophones. This account provides new evidence that ideophones exhibit similar cross-modal correspondences to those which have been proposed for non-words and individual sounds."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4488605/

Basically I am saying certain sounds within words may be acting like ideophones.
Dec 28, 2015 5:35 PM

Jan 2015
Noboru said:
But the old Germanic Peoples that would eventually create the German People hadn't always been in the Area of Central Europe as well.
What is with the Words "huz" ("Haus"/"house"), "mü" ("Arbeit"/"work" in the Sense of "Mühe"/"effort") or with the Proverb "Ezer eve nem lattam" which should mean something along the Lines of "I haven't seen you for a thousand Years" but contains the "ewig" or "ever"?
Húz is a verb and it means to pull, can mean either artifical or piece of work/piece of art, and the word comes from the era when the Hungarians were residing in the Ural. It hardly has any connection to Old High German.

Ezer éve nem láttam doesn't neccessarily refer to a person, but also to objects. Hungarian is the kind of language that doesn't neccessarily need the subject in sentences. During Hungarian language classes, there is a practice of "finding the parts building up a sentence", and when there is no subject, we call it "hidden", and put the hidden subject after the end of the sentence, in brackets. So if ezer éve nem láttam refers to a person in 'him/her' form and you have to analyze it, then you'd write ezer éve nem láttam (őt=him/her).

Ever and ezer have nothing to do with each other. Ezer means thousand, and as far as I know, it comes from the Iranian word or the Persian word hezār, and yet again, we picked up our numbers way before, between 400-600 a.c.

Ewig and éve have even less to do with each other. First of all, éve is not even a "original" word. Éve comes from the root word év meaning year, and the "-e" at the end turns the meaning of the word from year to year ago. German doesn't even have agglutination, while Hungarian is basically all about that, therefore the two words are structurally different. Agglutination is the "trademark" of Finno-Ugric languages, and this system existed thousands of years ago. Therefore the likeliness of Old High German somehow influencing Hungarian to pick up agglutination and then dropping this trait after evolving into modern German is low.

Random info, but the reason why you might find many Hungarian words similar to German ones is because 1. we actually have a metric shit ton of German/Austrian words, 2. the language reforms of the 19th century. The reformists who defeated the conservatives during the fight for improving Hungarian were mostly from the Northern Hungarian area, where a great deal of Slovaks and Germans lived, and perhaps because of that, the Northern Hungarians said words with mostly the vowel e. And since the reform supporters were from this area, they were obviously biased, so when they created the standard Hungarian language, most of our words were following the Northern Hungarian dialect.

Also, I think I read somewhere that the Finno-Ugric tribes arrived in Europe before the Indo-Europeans did (ironically), and then they left and went back to Asia, so there is a possibility of a connection (and this might mean that it was actually the Finno-Ugric folk influencing the Indo-European tribes).
ZeesDec 28, 2015 5:38 PM
Dec 28, 2015 7:55 PM

Nov 2015
Muhammad encouraged his followers to rape, murder and infiltrate in order to advance the cause of Islam.
Everyone who is Islamic has a Jihad, it is part of their faith. The Jihad is a "struggle" and the Jihad of about 300,000,000 Islamic people is the total, world wide conversion to Islam. By raping and impregnating Infidels (because Muhammad says if an Islamic man rapes an infidel that child is born of Islam) Out breeding Infidels, (Reproducing like bunnies) and the classic, straight up murdering the infidels.

In this, I don't give a shit what their fucking book says or if it was translated properly.

Vor uns liegt MAL, in uns marschiert MAL, und hinter uns, kommt MAL!
Dec 28, 2015 8:04 PM

Jan 2012
^ say the guy with a loli avatar , i hope you don't rape kids.

btw lol how rape will advance the cause of Islam, if u rape someone he/she will naturally hate you.

and btw give us some source .(it was quite interesting what u wrote)

Dec 28, 2015 8:19 PM

Nov 2015
AllenVonStein said:

btw lol how rape will advance the cause of Islam, if u rape someone he/she will naturally hate you.

and btw give us some source .(it was quite interesting what u wrote)

It's not the rape that's important, muhammad spoke of the enforced pregnancy on Infidels because the sons of Islamic men are Islamic by birth, sort of like the Jewish tradition where if your mom is Jewish YOU'RE jewish.
And the kodomo no Jikan avatar is because it's my absolute favorite series. I can relate to Rin-chan.

Verse 9:5 of the Qu'ran
"Then, when the sacred months have passed, slay the idolaters wherever ye find them, and take them (captive), and besiege them, and prepare for them each ambush. But if they repent and establish worship and pay the poor-due, then leave their way free. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful."

Kill all the non-believers basically.

Verse 33:50

"O Prophet! surely We have made lawful to you your wives whom you have given their dowries, and those [slaves] whom your right hand possesses out of those whom Allah has given to you as prisoners of war, and the daughters of your paternal uncles and the daughters of your paternal aunts, and the daughters of your maternal uncles and the daughters of your maternal aunts who fled with you; and a believing woman if she gave herself to the Prophet, if the Prophet desired to marry her – specially for you, not for the (rest of) believers; We know what We have ordained for them concerning their wives and those whom their right hands possess in order that no blame may attach to you; and Allah is Forgiving, Merciful".

Rape the infidels.

and a few more quotes from their holy book

“God’s curse be upon the infidels! Evil is that for which they have bartered away their souls. To deny God’s own revelation, grudging that He should reveal His bounty to whom He chooses from among His servants! They have incurred God’s most inexorable wrath. An ignominious punishment awaits the unbelievers.” Quran 2:89-2:90

“Lord…Give us victory over the unbelievers.” Quran 2:286

“Lord…give us victory over the unbelievers.” Quran 3:147

“Believers, take neither the Jews nor the Christians for your friends. They are friends with one another…” Quran 5:51

Vor uns liegt MAL, in uns marschiert MAL, und hinter uns, kommt MAL!
Dec 28, 2015 10:01 PM

Jun 2015
Oh the qu'ran is misinterpreted.
What's new?
Dec 28, 2015 10:06 PM

Feb 2015
AllenVonStein said:

Do you think Muslims care about what women think of them? Not giving a fuck about women's feelings is their whole shtick. That's part of their appeal (apparently). Of course they're pro-rape.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Dec 28, 2015 10:53 PM

Nov 2015
These Islam threads are getting more repetitive than Assassin's Creed.
Dec 29, 2015 1:07 AM

Mar 2008
PerpetualTrance said:

I think he is just using the Quran as an opening into the subject of linguistics.
Dec 29, 2015 1:30 AM

Sep 2015

Catchy song:
Dec 29, 2015 4:04 AM

Jan 2009
Lothloran said:
In this, I don't give a shit what their fucking book says or if it was translated properly.
I'm not too interested in the Koran either - to put it in nicer Words, however this isn't a Topic about the Koran itself since as traed stated:
"I think he is just using the Quran as an opening into the subject of linguistics." which is basically making Sense of foreign Languages with the Help of a specific one. It was quite an Interesting Fact to get to know that "koran" means something like "newspaper" in another Language (Indonesian), so a native Indonesian Speaker could regard the Book as "old news" while a German-speaking Muslim might focus more on the "chosen" or the "Trial" Aspects of it.

traed said:
Basically I am saying certain sounds within words may be acting like ideophones.
Thanks for the Article, albeit I haven't understood too much of it other than the Fact, that Ideophones and especially natural one produce some Form of higher Reaction compared to normal Words.
Just a quick Test: could you make Sense of the vague Meaning of the following Sound File, without looking it up?

Homuranagi said:
Húz is a verb and it means to pull, can mean either artifical or piece of work/piece of art, and the word comes from the era when the Hungarians were residing in the Ural. It hardly has any connection to Old High German.
Then while the first one was a complete Fail, at least the Interpretation that some Sort of "Mühe" or Effort is residing in .
You wrote that Agglutination plays an important Role in the Hungarian Language, but what if there is an alternative, plausible Interpretation of them? For Example, mükodest means Operation if you go for the actual Translation. But it can also sound as "Müh(e) getan" which means that the Effort was done. Or "valogotas" (sorting) = "Wahl getan" (Choice done/selected) or Latin vanitas = Wahnestat (Deed of Delirium/Delusion/Craze).

Homuranagi said:
Ezer éve nem láttam doesn't neccessarily refer to a person, but also to objects. Hungarian is the kind of language that doesn't neccessarily need the subject in sentences.
Ah okay, that's interesting to note. We have only a few Subjects that can be left out in German, however, the left out Objects are still treated as an imaginary first Field like in "(Das) hab' ich mir schon gedacht" ("I thought so already") and you wouldn't be able to place the left out Word "das" in another Place of the Sentence.

Homuranagi said:
Ever and ezer have nothing to do with each other. Ezer means thousand, and as far as I know, it comes from the Iranian word or the Persian word hezār, and yet again, we picked up our numbers way before, between 400-600 a.c.
But a 1000 Years combined can be interpreted as "forever" or at least "for a long Time".
Could you really explain that Similarities in that Expression with a potential Loanword in the younger History?

Homuranagi said:
Also, I think I read somewhere that the Finno-Ugric tribes arrived in Europe before the Indo-Europeans did (ironically), and then they left and went back to Asia, so there is a possibility of a connection (and this might mean that it was actually the Finno-Ugric folk influencing the Indo-European tribes).
That would be a bit anti-climatic and indeed ironic, however, it seems like the more plausible Theory about the potential Connections from very old Times.
Dec 29, 2015 4:09 AM

Jul 2014
Whats with the MAL community and the Koran?
Dec 29, 2015 5:43 AM

Jan 2009
TheBasedMaki said:
I'm aware that the Title was slightly baitish. However, there isn't any Intention to discuss the Koran itself, but rather what Influence the Language has on the cultural View, how seemingly unrelated Languages are possibly connected and how absurd Translations could transfer at least the Gist of the actual Meaning.
Dec 29, 2015 6:09 AM

Aug 2013
TheBasedMaki said:

Mal is secret ISIS HQ and recruitment didn't you know?
Dec 29, 2015 6:11 AM

Mar 2008
Noboru said:
Thanks for the Article, albeit I haven't understood too much of it other than the Fact, that Ideophones and especially natural one produce some Form of higher Reaction compared to normal Words.
Just a quick Test: could you make Sense of the vague Meaning of the following Sound File, without looking it up?

With____ and ____ ..... already know those ones. It has negative or sad meaning.
Dec 29, 2015 6:20 AM

Jan 2009
Spooks said:
TheBasedMaki said:

Mal is secret ISIS HQ and recruitment didn't you know?
Damn Spooks be quiet or the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution is going to be on my Heels D:

traed said:
With____ and ____ ..... already know those ones. It has negative or sad meaning.
Except that the Outcome can be interpreted rather positively, but it's interesting to note that the Impression is very similar even when a non-native Speaker hears it. I think it's pretty similar to the Japanese "girigiri (seifu)".
Is there a fitting onomatopoetic Expression in English for that as well or do you know of any in General?
Dec 29, 2015 6:25 AM

Mar 2008
Noboru said:
Except that the Outcome can be interpreted rather positively, but it's interesting to note that the Impression is very similar even when a non-native Speaker hears it. I think it's pretty similar to the Japanese "girigiri (seifu)".
Is there a fitting onomatopoetic Expression in English for that as well or do you know of any in General?

I already looked it up by now though. Does that matter?

Ive seen it translated as "by the skin of one's teeth" only. Id have to think if there is anything similar. I have my doubts
traedDec 29, 2015 6:36 AM
Dec 29, 2015 6:27 AM

Mar 2015
As a German I cringed.

I'm no friend of Muslims. But this is just ridiculous.
Dec 29, 2015 7:06 AM

Mar 2008
How about idioms with onomatopoeias like

"bawl my eyes out"

"thump out"

"a-ha moment"

"scrape by"

Can't think of anything with a longer more complex meaning.

Here is something related to what I was talking about before
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouba/kiki_effect
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_symbolism
Dec 29, 2015 8:09 AM

Jan 2009
traed said:
Ive seen it translated as "by the skin of one's teeth" only. Id have to think if there is anything similar. I have my doubts
That's the Expression I've found as well, but maybe it would be more fitting to translate it as "with oh and d'oh" to describe the hard Work behind it.

As to the other Examples, "a-ha moment" is exactly the same, "bawl my eyes out" feels the strongest, scrape by reminds me of screeching and I haven't heard anything about "thump out".

The Bouba/Kiki Effect sounds interesting and I can concur that "bouba" sounds rather roundish (compare "Bubble" or German "(Luft-)Blase" or "Ball" in both Languages) and "kiki" has "spiky" in it or "Zacken" ("Prong") whence also "Zickzack" or "Zigzag" is derived.

Helenus said:
As a German I cringed.
You aren't happy that you are able to read and hear such astonishing Work and others? :(
I find it at least a bit amusing. You don't have to take everything dead seriously.

IMKZ said:
No. Not even. GG but k no.
Could you please elaborate on it?
Is the Noun Capitalization that annoying?
Dec 29, 2015 8:12 AM

Jan 2011
Torture the texts until they say what you want them to say.
Dec 29, 2015 8:45 AM

May 2015
I don't think it proves anything.

What you need is evidence that the two cultures - Ol' Arabs and ol' Germans - interacted.

There are a lot of languages and a lot of words, so some will be similar even if the languages never interacted.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Dec 29, 2015 8:50 AM

Nov 2015
traed said:
PerpetualTrance said:

I think he is just using the Quran as an opening into the subject of linguistics.

I was targeting the posts in here. How could a linguistic thread be turned into 'Islam is violent hurr durr' thread?

Damn these nonsensical people.

I'm not too knowledgeable about linguistics to make much of a comment. But this is pretty simple that the true meaning of the Quran is what Muhammad intended it to have. That is all. No matter what linguistic proof there might be suggesting otherwise, things remain the same.
Dec 29, 2015 9:06 AM

Mar 2008
Noboru said:
traed said:
That's the Expression I've found as well, but maybe it would be more fitting to translate it as "with oh and d'oh" to describe the hard Work behind it.

As to the other Examples, "a-ha moment" is exactly the same, "bawl my eyes out" feels the strongest, scrape by reminds me of screeching and I haven't heard anything about "thump out".

The Bouba/Kiki Effect sounds interesting and I can concur that "bouba" sounds rather roundish (compare "Bubble" or German "(Luft-)Blase" or "Ball" in both Languages) and "kiki" has "spiky" in it or "Zacken" ("Prong") whence also "Zickzack" or "Zigzag" is derived.

A-ha moment is more like a eureka moment where a person becomes excited. The expression you used sounds like realizing a fault. So i would not say its exactly the same, but it is similar.

Scrape by doesn't have anything to do with screeching but that is right in the general sense of the idea. Its more about a struggle to get by.

I am not familiar with the term thump out either but it means to hit something in a rhythmic fashion like to play music on a drum or piano with force behind it.
Dec 29, 2015 10:09 AM

Jan 2014
Helenus said:
As a German I cringed.

You don't even have to be German to realize that this is a far stretch.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Dec 29, 2015 10:18 AM

Jan 2012
Helenus said:
As a German I cringed.

Are u sure you don't have any Muslims friends
cuz i have been in Germany many times , Muslims are everywhere there especially Turks.

Dec 29, 2015 10:47 AM

Jan 2009
JonyJC said:
Torture the texts until they say what you want them to say.
Who says anything about "Torture" when you can just tort errm I mean turn your Point of View to alternative Interpretations.

PerpetualTrance said:
I was targeting the posts in here. How could a linguistic thread be turned into 'Islam is violent hurr durr' thread?
Probably because of the Title. But it turned out better than expected since reasonable Users turned up.
You're right that the true Intention of the Koran must have been what the Prophet wanted, however, there is hardly a valid Method to know. We can't travel back in Time just to check, we have to rely on what has been left behind and "Language" is just one Thing.

TheBrainintheJar said:
What you need is evidence that the two cultures - Ol' Arabs and ol' Germans - interacted.
I'm seeing it rather as a Sign that the Human Cultures are related to each other, not that the "Ol' Germans" or their Ancestors interacted with all Kinds of Cultures across the World.

TheBrainintheJar said:
There are a lot of languages and a lot of words, so some will be similar even if the languages never interacted.
Disregarding Words like "Mama" and "Papa" which means Mother and Father in most Languages and onomatopoetic Words like "ow!" or "oh!" or "ah!", can the Similarities of non-related Languages really be explained with false Cognates, as Chiki mentioned in #3?

traed said:

A-ha moment is more like a eureka moment where a person becomes excited. The expression you used sounds like realizing a fault. So i would not say its exactly the same, but it is similar.

Scrape by doesn't have anything to do with screeching but that is right in the general sense of the idea. Its more about a struggle to get by.

I am not familiar with the term thump out either but it means to hit something in a rhythmic fashion like to play music on a drum or piano with force behind it.
I meant "A-ha moment" is pretty much mutual intelligible in both English and German.

You see now that Language has a rather imaginative Description and that you can derive the "general sense of the idea" from it once you have made the Connection through the Sound of the Words?

So it's probably similar to "drum out" then, because that's the only related Expression that comes to Mind.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Yesterday

25 by Rhaelynne »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Yesterday

21 by _Nette_ »»
30 minutes ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

43 by LordSozin »»
1 hour ago

» Do you enjoy nature?

Kamikaze_404 - Apr 23

31 by Kushna »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Worst social media

IpreferEcchi - Mar 19

28 by hypergoob »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.