Forum Settings
Forums

Will Google Eventually Ruin Business For Translators ?

New
Nov 24, 2015 10:10 AM

Jul 2015
So like I needed to translate a few sentences for some French/Arabic assignments .I checked google and it gave me neat translations .It even pronounced them for me .It's not like it's the first time this has happened but it got me thinking of if learning new languages would end up pointless sometime in the near future (I say near but I'm thinking 7 or 8 years) .Of course you'll bond better with the natives of a country if you spoke their language rather than use machine translations but won't google reduce the advantages gained by being multilingual ?

In the first place how are translators still in business even now ?I don't see why a company can't just use google to translate it's conversations with another one .Why bother hiring translators when google is free ?
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 24, 2015 10:11 AM
Jul 2018
Evildragon16 said:

In the first place how are translators still in business even now ?I don't see why a company can't just use google to translate it's conversations with another one .Why bother hiring translators when google is free ?

Not sure if srs.
Nov 24, 2015 10:12 AM

Jul 2015
DejWo said:
Evildragon16 said:

Not sure if srs.

Totally srs .

Oct 2012
No, because it's an online translator and it isn't perfect.

In fact, if you do rely on Google translate for all your needs, you're a really shitty translator yourself.

Jul 2014
*Sighs*
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!
Nov 24, 2015 10:13 AM

Jul 2015
Martin said:
No, because it's an online translator and it isn't perfect.

In fact, if you do rely on Google translate for all your needs, you're a really shitty translator yourself.

I don't work as one .I'm still learning .It's correct a lot of the time though isn't it .Besides I was talking about a few years from now .
Nov 24, 2015 10:14 AM

May 2015
Google translate is useless for most most languages.
Nov 24, 2015 10:15 AM

Jul 2015
EminemVEVO said:

That so ?

May 2014
EminemVEVO said:

This, maybe in the future it'll work but you can guarantee Google will make it a paying service if that happens.
I've been here way too long...

Jun 2008
not in any near future

translating real-time speech (not text) into another language taking into consideration of nuances and cultural differences is way too complicated at the moment with the current tech available, even human translators have difficulty with it at times
Nov 24, 2015 10:16 AM

May 2015
Evildragon16 said:
EminemVEVO said:

That so ?

Yeah, if you want to translate sentences.
Nov 24, 2015 10:17 AM

Feb 2015
Google translate loses accuracy the longer text is period.

Human that knows his shit about particular language deals better with obstacles.

Jul 2015
Tachii said:
not in any near future

translating real-time speech (not text) into another language taking into consideration of nuances and cultural differences is way too complicated at the moment with the current tech available.

On my phone I have google translate as an app .It takes my english and translates it into the language I want .If by chance it mis-reads the way it's written will let you know so that you can say it again .
Aug 2013
No. Even google sometimes translates stupid shits.

Jul 2011
Lolwut, google translate it's a joke
Nov 24, 2015 10:18 AM

Jun 2008
Evildragon16 said:
Tachii said:
not in any near future

translating real-time speech (not text) into another language taking into consideration of nuances and cultural differences is way too complicated at the moment with the current tech available.

On my phone I have google translate as an app .It takes my english and translates it into the language I want .If by chance it mis-reads the way it's written will let you know so that you can say it again .
its more than misreading though, its missing the context and nuances of speech lol
Nov 24, 2015 10:18 AM

Jan 2012
Not anytime soon.
Nov 24, 2015 10:19 AM

May 2015

Thank you based google translate.
Nov 24, 2015 10:20 AM
Jul 2018
Eventually, I believe so yes. Maybe not Google Translate, but something will ultimately replace the human translator.
Nov 24, 2015 10:21 AM

Feb 2013
If only Google translate did properly his job

Nov 24, 2015 10:23 AM

Mar 2014
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Nov 24, 2015 10:24 AM
Jul 2018
badwolf45f said:
If only Google translate did properly his job

Yeah,they should fire him.
Nov 24, 2015 10:24 AM

Feb 2015
GreenSoap said:
Eventually, I believe so yes. Maybe not Google Translate, but something will ultimately replace the human translator.

You have to take into account that software still would offer 1 completely literal correct term and couple of non fitting ones while human translator can improvise aloot more to actually explain into details certain sentences.

I guess it will take long time to emulate that closely.
Nov 24, 2015 10:28 AM

Jan 2015
Don't try to translate stuff from Spanish to English, it sucks.

But yeah it will replace translators eventually.
Nov 24, 2015 10:31 AM

May 2015
No.

Translation is re-interpartation. How a person translates depends on all kinds of factors, such as his view of the language. People who learn to translate don't just learn two languages but learn their connection, how they express the same things and so on. I doubt a computer could do all that, especially when language is constantly changing.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Nov 24, 2015 10:34 AM

Jul 2015
Comic_Sans said:

That stuff also works for 'will tu-pac ever die' .My friends were feeling hyped when they saw that until I told them that they could substitute their names and get the same result .
Nov 24, 2015 11:13 AM

Jan 2009
Google Translate needs to rework its Grammar. It's pretty bad for Languages that don't have a Subject-Verb-Object Order. There are less Problems using Google Translate to create a somehow coherent Translation of English into Spanish or French than into a Language from the same Language Family, but with a different Word Order.

TheBrainintheJar said:
No.

Translation is re-interpartation. How a person translates depends on all kinds of factors, such as his view of the language. People who learn to translate don't just learn two languages but learn their connection, how they express the same things and so on. I doubt a computer could do all that, especially when language is constantly changing.
This. For Instance, a Couple of Languages do distinguish between a casual "You" and a polite "You". Using only either wouldn't do its Justice.
While the Algorithm needs more Context and Data to improve the Quality of generic Translations, it can't guarantee that any of the suggested Translations could come anywhere close. That's why Humans are still needed for Translations, because they know about those potential Nuances and can select from the most-likely Content of what a Person wanted to convey.

I even wrote a small Poem about that:
While the actual Translation would be

"to translate,
you have to, for the Cross-over,
cross over
over the Translation"

(with swapped 3rd and 4th Line), I opted for "(to) set over" as a figurative, very literal Translation of "übersetzen" that contains the Meaning of both "(to) cross over" and "(to) translate".
The hyphenated Word is the nominalized Form of "(to) cross over". Even this little Poem shows how hard it is to "set over" ("cross over") "Set Overs" ("Translations").
Nov 24, 2015 11:32 AM
Jul 2018
I don't really trust the Google translator. It's not that accurate sometimes.
Nov 24, 2015 11:41 AM
Nov 2015
I see Google translate more of a word or small sentence translator, anymore than that it's probably best to ask an actual native speaker.
Nov 24, 2015 11:48 AM

Mar 2014
Noboru said:
Google Translate needs to rework its Grammar. It's pretty bad for Languages that don't have a Subject-Verb-Object Order. There are less Problems using Google Translate to create a somehow coherent Translation of English into Spanish or French than into a Language from the same Language Family, but with a different Word Order.
I've noticed that too

When I was younger and I didn't speak or understand English very well I would always try to copy + paste Wikipedia articles and such into google translate so that I could read them in Swedish instead

The word order was almost always completely messed up in the subordinate clauses (where you have to apply the V2 word order rule) because Google Translate chose to put the subject before the verb instead of vice versa
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Nov 24, 2015 11:51 AM

Oct 2014
Automatic translators will not surpass humans until we are able to program them with enough artificial intelligence that they can learn languages in the same way a human would. I don't this will happen before 2050.
Nov 24, 2015 12:15 PM

May 2015
Comic_Sans said:
The word order was almost always completely messed up in the subordinate clauses (where you have to apply the V2 word order rule) because Google Translate chose to put the subject before the verb instead of vice versa

Is that the VSO order?
Nov 24, 2015 12:19 PM

Mar 2014
EminemVEVO said:
Comic_Sans said:

Is that the VSO order?
Yeah that's another word for it
Nico- said:
Nov 24, 2015 12:35 PM

Jun 2015
no
Nov 24, 2015 12:36 PM

Jan 2009
Comic_Sans said:
The Word Order is still messed up even with simple Sentences:

In this Example using "Because it has wings, it can fly." almost neatly translates to "Weil es Flügel hat, kann es zu fliegen". Except that the "zu" doesn't make any Sense.
Without the Dot at the End, the Main Sentences changes to "es fliegen kann" as if it were a subordinated Clause.
And if you want to replace the first Personal Pronoun "it" with "a bird", the Verb will be put before the Object instead of the End of the subordinated Clause in the Translation.
It seems like there are some basic Approaches, but they're still full of Errors. How are they expecting to get more complicated to translate Languages right when they can't even translate simple English Sentences decently enough into related Languages?

EminemVEVO said:
Comic_Sans said:

Is that the VSO order?
No, it's V2 (Verb Second) to VF (Verb Final) Word Order.
Nov 24, 2015 12:39 PM

May 2015
But they look the same. :(
Nov 24, 2015 12:47 PM
Nov 24, 2015 1:14 PM

Apr 2013
Tachii said:
Evildragon16 said:

its more than misreading though, its missing the context and nuances of speech lol

most translators have to be able to (ideally) interpret if it's more appropriate to localize or stick to cultural context through their own understandings. if google translate can do that, pretty sure that'd mean computers have some sort of a conscious thought progress, which is scary af and hopefully won't happen at all.
Nov 24, 2015 1:24 PM

May 2015
Noboru said:

TheBrainintheJar said:
No.

This. For Instance, a Couple of Languages do distinguish between a casual "You" and a polite "You". Using only either wouldn't do its Justice.
While the Algorithm needs more Context and Data to improve the Quality of generic Translations, it can't guarantee that any of the suggested Translations could come anywhere close. That's why Humans are still needed for Translations, because they know about those potential Nuances and can select from the most-likely Content of what a Person wanted to convey.

I even wrote a small Poem about that:
While the actual Translation would be

"to translate,
you have to, for the Cross-over,
cross over
over the Translation"

(with swapped 3rd and 4th Line), I opted for "(to) set over" as a figurative, very literal Translation of "übersetzen" that contains the Meaning of both "(to) cross over" and "(to) translate".
The hyphenated Word is the nominalized Form of "(to) cross over". Even this little Poem shows how hard it is to "set over" ("cross over") "Set Overs" ("Translations").

I love this guy. He's on-point on everything.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Nov 24, 2015 1:59 PM

Jan 2009
^ Errm, thanks I guess

Except that I've made a Mistake by having accidentally swapped "Cross-over" and "Translation" in my own Translation, haha xD
Nov 24, 2015 2:12 PM

Aug 2015
google translate? translating smoothly? i dont think so

☁ cyborg robot squirrels ☁
Nov 24, 2015 2:17 PM

Jun 2015
google translate is good for learning random nouns and what not but using it to translate whole sentences that are anything other than present tense is just a bad decision.
Nov 24, 2015 2:20 PM

Nov 2012
Sometimes accurate, other times you can translate the same sentence between languages back and forth and it turns into something completely different.
Nov 24, 2015 2:21 PM

Sep 2014
Google translator is extremely helpful if you know a language but you don't know a word/letter/character. But it will never translate a correct full sentence that makes sense,
Maybe in the next 8 to 10 years nobody will need translators, but that isn't good for me. I am a translator after all, in Eien Scans (shameless promotion, haha) but if you're able to translate from Japanese to English, you are welcome in our group. PM me if you're interested ^^
Nov 24, 2015 2:32 PM

May 2013
Yea, as everyone said, google translate is crap. As someone who is bilingual, as I'm sure many of you are and understand, translating a sentence is often never correct to the degree you need it, and often uses words that are very out dated, and sets up grammar in such a way that if the teacher were to read it, she would either think you didn't know what you were doing, or were using words that don't even fit into the sentence-and she would thus conclude you used google translate.

Translators of many kinds are pretty crap too. Babylon is poop as well.

The job of a translator will never be replaced by a machine, for technical and convenience sakes. You would think it would, but if that were true, then the job of translator would have already been extinct by now.
Nov 24, 2015 2:36 PM

Mar 2008
English > Chinese > Hebrew > Russian > Welsh > Greek > then reversed
MAL is a fucked up forum
MAL是一團糟論壇
הוא פורום בלגן MAL
ТЗА является форумом беспорядок
Mal yn anhwylder fforwm
Mal είναι ένα φόρουμ διαταραχή
Fforwm anhwylder Mal yn
Мал расстройства форум
פורום הפרעת מייל
論壇障礙郵件
Forum obstacle Mail
Nov 24, 2015 3:45 PM

Jul 2015
Martin said:
No, because it's an online translator and it isn't perfect
Nov 24, 2015 5:10 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012

Hopefully, you're not actually using Google Translate for an assignment... or cross your fingers that you're teacher sucks.

Anyway, if by 'eventually' you mean like in 100 years, then, yeah, eventually we won't to learn other languages. Maybe, also 'eventually', we'll be downloading languages into out brains.
Nov 24, 2015 5:11 PM

Dec 2014
Plz
Nov 24, 2015 5:51 PM

Sep 2015
No. Google translate is very, very inaccurate, like the wise people above have said. Don't believe us? Try translating my signature using Google Translate. It won't come out right, I'm sure.
I turn myself invisible.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

30 by rohan121 »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - 10 hours ago

16 by traed »»
31 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - Apr 24

23 by cody »»
46 minutes ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

75 by cody »»
48 minutes ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - Apr 25

19 by Deyuko »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.