Forum Settings
Forums

Is Equal Representation a Requirement Every Time?

New
Nov 7, 2015 2:33 AM
Jul 2018
In my boredom, I decided to check up on how Final Fantasy XV has been doing, since I was without the internet for a few months.

There wasn't a lot, but a few trailers had been released. One of which showed off the driving in the game, and another had fishing, with all the party members gathering around the player in congratulations for catching a fish, laughing, smiling, and having a gay ol' time. Er, the happy kind.

This reminded me of a lot of complaints that arose around the time that Square said there weren't any female party members, with people swearing off the game because it was a "sausage fest" with some, and others calling it blatantly sexist.

This is the dilemma that I've been faced with, because having seen these trailers and heard about this grand adventure with a group of male friends on a roadtrip, I can't help but not care. Not even a little.

So my question is simple: Does everyone have to be represented in every form of media? Not just games, but movies, and stories in general?

The obvious answer for me would be no. During high school, I only really had male friends. Male bonding is a legitimate thing that happens. Why should FFXV have to have a female party member? For diversity's sake? Should they also have a black man? A homosexual?

Not that there's anything wrong with including any of these things, but where does the line get drawn? When do we stop and say,"We're not trying to represent anyone. We just wanted to tell a story."?

If a real life group of friends consists of three white males, are they terrible people for not having met a perfectly diverse cast of human beings? I, for one, am really looking forward to seeing some male bonding. Not because there aren't plenty of guys in gaming already, but because we've reached a point where it's actually a more unique idea to have dudes on a roadtrip than an adventuring party of every ethnicity, creed, gender, and sexuality thrown into one group.

So thoughts? Comments? Am I totally wrong, and my privilege is showing? Discuss pls.

TL;DR, I hope they spoon during the camping segments, and then get awkward about it over breakfast.
Nov 7, 2015 2:34 AM

May 2015
Liberal sanctimony.
Nov 7, 2015 2:35 AM

Jul 2012
Having equal representation encourages people to try new things and discourages gender norms/stereotypes, I'd like to think.

I'm not saying it works, I'm saying that's the intent of it.
Nov 7, 2015 2:36 AM
Jul 2018
mayukachan said:
Having equal representation encourages people to try new things and discourages gender norms/stereotypes, I'd like to think.

But I'm 20 years old, and I've still never gone on a camping trip with my bros.

Meanwhile, I live in the International District of my city, so I'm actually a minority now.
Nov 7, 2015 2:57 AM

Jul 2015
race/gender quotas are cancer
Nov 7, 2015 3:06 AM

Aug 2015
Mashiro-Yuki said:
The obvious answer for me would be no. During high school, I only really had male friends. Male bonding is a legitimate thing that happens. Why should FFXV have to have a female party member? For diversity's sake? Should they also have a black man? A homosexual?

I don't think so. People can make whatever they want with whatever characters they want.
Nov 7, 2015 4:02 AM

Feb 2015
I support a remake of Prison School where every character's gender is flipped, so that it becomes mandatory viewing for anyone insisting on equal representation.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Nov 7, 2015 4:10 AM

Jan 2011
Just don't try and poorly shoehorn it in.
Nov 7, 2015 4:13 AM

Jul 2015
Caelidesu said:
I support a remake of Prison School where every character's gender is flipped, so that it becomes mandatory viewing for anyone insisting on equal representation.

meiko best boy
Nov 7, 2015 4:15 AM

May 2008
I don't think it should be. If people want to write only male characters, only female characters, only white characters, only black characters, only children, only animals, they should be able to.

Representation is important but I don't get the whole idea of people needing to have a character be like them in order to care. So many of my favourite characters are ones I could never relate to on any level. People need to stop projecting and getting upset when they aren't included.

There's also such a thing as different demographics. Different types of people enjoy different types of stories, and some of those stories can only be told with certain characters. A lot of the time it's also just pandering when they throw minority characters in (which isn't always a bad thing, but in some cases it's obviously because they want to show off how progressive they are).

I feel like people put way too much importance on characters' sexuality, gender and race nowadays, which is really stupid to me. What ever happened to judging characters by their personality and their actions? Whether I like a character or not has absolutely nothing to do with what sexuality/gender/race/whatever else they are, and the fact that so many people only look at that is bad because it'll lead to so many token characters over the next few years. Even if they're not offensive, we don't need more of those.

I blame Tumblr for this. Fuck Tumblr, it's an awful website and people on it do more harm than good. Teenagers should never be able to form a conglomerate like that.
Nov 7, 2015 4:15 AM

Jul 2012
Caelidesu said:
I wouldnt mind watching that honestly

But I had a problem with the males getting abused more than the females
Nov 7, 2015 4:29 AM

Jul 2014
I've always found it disturbing that the consumption of media has become such a constant, inescapable presence in modern life that people feel as though themselves being tangentially "represented" in shitty games, comic books, movies, etc. through some transitory physical trait is somehow making their own lives more fulfilled. It's almost as if, to these people, their standing in the real, physical world is in some way lesser to their more nebulous "cultural" standing in invented ones. Like the instant they see Noctis and his band of proto-Backstreet Boys their existence has become entirely vicarious.

Just give me characters that don't suck. I'll even read the yaoi fics.
Nov 7, 2015 4:53 AM

Aug 2014
Nah, it's not needed every time. So long as the characters interact in cool or interesting ways, it's all good. I mean, I guess I've come to be a fan of diversity in fantasy-type settings because of all the different races and creatures that can be in them, but it shouldn't be a rule set in stone - you don't have to just throw in a female koalaman or elf because you thought up too many human males.

BUT it is fun thinking up little motley crews of adventurers that journey together for whatever reasons
Nov 7, 2015 7:37 AM

Jan 2014
If some people had their way, it most likely would be, to the detriment of society.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Nov 7, 2015 7:51 AM

Mar 2008
If its every time its not equal. Its favouring minorities.
Nov 7, 2015 7:54 AM

Aug 2013
Well thankfully enough most gamers in my circle couldn't careless about gender, sexual preferences, clothing, and some arbitrary stuff that don't affect the gameplay whatsoever. And thankfully enough, we don't care about all the weird shits that make game forums so unbearable at times and just focus on playing the games.

well, casuals.
Nov 7, 2015 10:04 AM
Jul 2018
No. Cramming everybody in just makes it looked forced.
Nov 7, 2015 11:01 AM

May 2015
Not at all. A work has no responsibility to represent anyone. I don't go looking for Jews in African novels.

What is important is how you represent the people that are in your story. Are the Black people in your story all token? Or do they have a personality beyond being black?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Nov 7, 2015 11:05 AM

Jul 2015
No, but I do feel like media that does give representation to groups that rarely get any should be appreciated. And in terms of media that focuses on a group, it's also nice to see people of that group cast for it when/where applicable.
Nov 7, 2015 11:26 AM

Jun 2015
I think it depends on the game. So no.
Nov 7, 2015 5:57 PM
Jul 2015
I don't think it's a requirement every time, only when it directly influences the themes and ideas something is trying to convey.
Nov 7, 2015 6:19 PM

Jun 2012
It's a fucking idiotic way of thinking that's what it is. No there should be absolutely no obligations to include anything at all in a video game. Including things for diversities sake is completely moronic and should never happen.

Sure if you wanna have a black guy a gay guy a female and all sorts then by all means go ahead, but don't just make it that way for diversities sake, make what you originally intended to make. Though saying that, a diverse cast is never really a bad thing, but don't force it.

Apologies for the language but this topic gets me really angry sometimes, it's one of the most talked about things and it shouldn't even be a question in my opinion. Write or create whatever the fuck you want to, don't feel like you have to include things because of this crap :D

while not directly relating to this at all really it's still using the same sort of point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alDaBwuRxKQ

Quite ironic using this video in this way but oh well.
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Nov 12, 2015 8:52 PM
Oct 2015
Not that there's anything wrong with including any of these things, but where does the line get drawn? When do we stop and say,"We're not trying to represent anyone. We just wanted to tell a story."?

Not that there's anything wrong? What do you mean? maybe there's something wrong with it? Nobody is forcing them to play, watch or even take a glance at the game. If they want to represent themselves, why don't they write their own story and adapt a video game to it to see if they can make a profit with whatever boring bullshit they want to whine about.
Nov 12, 2015 8:54 PM

Aug 2013
Bro's have guy friends usually when they're together in a group around the age of the MC its a guy hang out day. Equal representation makes no sense and doesn't even reflect reality so is a poor excuse for changing storytelling.

Its like those stupid movies and games where you have like tough as nails special forces unit and there's always one attractive woman tagging along. In reality that would be a pretty rare sight and before anyone goes to post images of female special forces members there's always going to be examples contrary to the norm but most small anti terrorist teams for example do not have women in yet they always have to have one female in the group every movie or game its stupid. Why is everyone so afraid of having a squad of guys what too gay?
Nov 12, 2015 9:10 PM
Sep 2015
Of course it's not necessary in every single story. I think some people might have been caught off guard when it was first announced because FF has been a pretty girl-friendly series for as long as I can remember. FFX-2 had an all-female party, so I don't think it's even a little unfair to have an all-male party for FFXV.

That said, the main draw of FF games for me are the characters. I don't feel like I'll find these characters very relatable, so I probably won't play it. That's the downside of having a narrow cast.. It tends to also narrow the demographics that will enjoy the story. That's not to say that no women will enjoy it, just probably fewer. It is what it is.
Nov 12, 2015 9:14 PM

Aug 2009
Good in theory, terrible in practice. Like many things.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Nov 12, 2015 9:15 PM

Sep 2015
people who are mad at the game should just make their own one featuring all woman cast
Nov 12, 2015 9:18 PM

Mar 2014
Salvatia said:
race/gender quotas are cancer

This, making female/minority characters for the sake of having those characters is everything that is wrong with "equality". Make your characters the way you want to, don;t listen to SJWs. Gender matters, there are definite psychological and physiological differences between genders, and they will certainly influence the type of character you create.

I went on a road trip with some friends, one of them was female, does it matter? Not in the slightest, we could have all been female, but we weren't. If the point of your character is to be black than they might as well not exist.

More topics from this board

Poll: » is marriage compulsory? ( 1 2 )

FruitPunchBaka - Yesterday

56 by traed »»
2 minutes ago

» Lonely Teens Are Making "Friends" With AIs

deg - 1 hour ago

3 by DreamWindow »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you believe in moral facts? ( 1 2 )

Freshell - May 5

73 by DreamWindow »»
13 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

753 by Hitagi__Furude »»
56 minutes ago

» What if you saw God in heaven? ( 1 2 )

-Usagi - Feb 3, 2016

61 by SwordBreaker36 »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.