Forum Settings
Forums

Donating cosmetics and hygiene product kits to women's shelter - Good idea or nah?

New
Oct 27, 2015 6:35 PM

Jul 2012

So, someone from my school is doing this fundraising thing where students can donate money and then the money will be used to buy makeup and hygiene products. Then, it'll be assembled into kits and it'll be donated to a women's shelter in our city.

In their defense:
Person said:
Often, women who find themselves in a situation where they need to leave home immediately, will leave with nothing but the clothes on their back. They say makeup is superficial, but it can be an amazing tool to help empower a woman and give her back her strength and uncovering her inner beauty.

What do you think about this idea? Do you think the money is being spent in a wise manner, or should they be using the money to fund other things? Discuss and share stories.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 27, 2015 6:36 PM

Sep 2015
this is weird but hell why not
oh u wanna fight. CAPS LOCK ENGAGE
Oct 27, 2015 6:36 PM
Jul 2018
If they want to spend the money this way,why not.
As long as they are not low on food/drinking water/other basic needs,it is fine by me.
Oct 27, 2015 6:37 PM

Jan 2014
Seems a little insulting to me. Donating money would probably be a better idea, abuse shelters are always woefully underfunded.
I love Christine

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

Oct 27, 2015 6:39 PM

Nov 2009
No. I think that is an insanely wasteful donation. However I don't really get the whole "dress up" thing in general, so I can't give a fair answer.
Aug 2015
No.

There are more important things to donate money to.

Oct 2010
Person said:
Often, women who find themselves in a situation where they need to leave home immediately, will leave with nothing but the clothes on their back. They say makeup is superficial, but it can be an amazing tool to help empower a woman and give her back her strength and uncovering her inner beauty.

Forget food and shelter, guys.
I need to put on my makeup!
Oct 27, 2015 6:40 PM

Jan 2015
cause said:
No.

Oct 27, 2015 6:40 PM

Jan 2014
Usagi said:
Person said:

Forget food and shelter, guys.
I need to put on my makeup!

"You know that black eye your husband give you? cover it up, it's ugly"
I love Christine

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

Oct 27, 2015 6:42 PM

Feb 2015
What if she's in the shelter because she spent more on makeup than payments for her house?
Oct 27, 2015 6:42 PM

Jul 2014
Why isn't the money being given directly to the shelter?
Oct 27, 2015 6:43 PM

Apr 2014
I think food is a bit more needed than aesthetic things.
Oct 27, 2015 6:44 PM

Jul 2012
Yeah, even as a female, I have to say... It's not a great idea.

I know how expensive makeup is, and even worse, you can't share it with others. So one tube of mascara that costs $5 can only be used for one girl and that's one of the cheaper things. Also, it expires quickly. Mascara can only be kept for 3 months. Concealer and foundation go up to $30 if you want a decent tiny bottle of it.

I do think hygiene products are necessary though, like skin exfoliators.
Oct 27, 2015 6:45 PM

Jan 2015
I would never donate to a womans shelter. I dont discriminate based off race or gender. If I.ever do donate its going to be to anyone who needs help the most. Its going to be for food, water and clothing only. Anything extra they dont need to live. Humanitarian needs aren't even the most important things to donate to anyways.

Science and.technology are a lot more important. Problems like social disputes, disasters, poverty, war and famine can be solved by technology. The fleeting lives of humans are temporary. The technology we create on the other hand is passed on from generation to generation.
Oct 27, 2015 6:46 PM

Jul 2014
mayukachan said:
If that's the female version of soap, then sure, but seriously the shelter would much rather have the money and they'd make much better decisions with that money.
Oct 27, 2015 6:48 PM

Jul 2012
ibear said:
mayukachan said:
If that's the female version of soap, then sure, but seriously the shelter would much rather have the money and they'd make much better decisions with that money.
Yeah, I think the money should directly go there instead. And yes, I mean stuff like soap, lotion, shampoo, conditioner, etc.
Oct 27, 2015 6:49 PM

Jan 2011
Hygiene products like tampons? Well yeah. Makeup? Nah.
Oct 27, 2015 6:50 PM
Sep 2015
I think it's a great idea. Makeup and stuff like that may not be the most practical use of money for a donation, but it can do worlds to make someone feel human again after going through something traumatic. Women who have to use shelters after leaving an abusive relationship are usually also women who live in poverty, which can make the experience even more dehumanizing. And I'm sure it's something that's typically overlooked, too, for obvious reasons.

Plus having access to stuff like that can make it easier to find work for women, which is an important step in regaining your independence.
Oct 27, 2015 6:51 PM

Aug 2009
Give them fucking food, you know something you actually need to survive.

I imagine they already have shelter since they'e in a woman's shelter.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Oct 27, 2015 6:55 PM

Jul 2012
VerballyStunted said:
I think it's a great idea. Makeup and stuff like that may not be the most practical use of money for a donation, but it can do worlds to make someone feel human again after going through something traumatic. Women who have to use shelters after leaving an abusive relationship are usually also women who live in poverty, which can make the experience even more dehumanizing. And I'm sure it's something that's typically overlooked, too, for obvious reasons.

Plus having access to stuff like that can make it easier to find work for women, which is an important step in regaining your independence.
That's actually a great point! : o

My only issue with this is that makeup is really expensive overall and if a shelter had like 300 people for example, they'd have to spend around 30-40 dollars on just one person.
Oct 27, 2015 7:01 PM

Mar 2008
No

It seems like a good idea at first but there is a major problem with buying things for others in charity. Its better to give money to people directly. There is no reason to treat them like children who do not know what to do with their money.
Oct 27, 2015 7:03 PM

Jan 2014
So, what about the young boys that are brought to these abuse shelters with their mothers?
Does their pain and suffering mean nothing?
I love Christine

Oct 27, 2015 7:03 PM
Aug 2015
ReaperCreeper said:

even tampons aren't a necessity.
Oct 27, 2015 7:04 PM
May 2015
I think it's great idea and a nice twist for helping people. I mean, they wouldn't do this if food and other necessities weren't available. I approve. It'll make them feel happier and more content. I always get delighted when I get my dose of accessories and perfume once in a while.
Oct 27, 2015 7:04 PM

Jul 2012
cause said:
ReaperCreeper said:

Yeah, let's just let their blood run free and into their pants!

DisdainMatto said:
So, what about the young boys that are brought to these abuse shelters with their mothers?
I don't even know if they get to bring their children.
Oct 27, 2015 7:05 PM

Jan 2011
cause said:
ReaperCreeper said:

I'm sure it's preferable to ruining their underwear.
Oct 27, 2015 7:05 PM
Aug 2015
mayukachan said:
cause said:

i would rather donate so you can eat first. you know. that thing you need to survive.
Oct 27, 2015 7:06 PM

Jan 2014
mayukachan said:
DisdainMatto said:
I don't even know if they get to bring their children.
Up to the age of 14, any government financed shelter in Canada is legally required to allow children, no matter the gender.
I love Christine

Oct 27, 2015 7:06 PM

Jun 2015
LionCake said:
cause said:
No.

Oct 27, 2015 7:11 PM
Jul 2018
Makeup for a womens' shelter...really?
Oct 27, 2015 7:13 PM
Aug 2015
ReaperCreeper said:
cause said:

I'm sure it's preferable to ruining their underwear.

yeah. you ruining your underwear is more important than the people who are dying from starvation every day.
Oct 27, 2015 7:13 PM

Jul 2014
mayukachan said:
cause said:

K, that's the most disgusting thing I've read on here.
Oct 27, 2015 7:17 PM
Jul 2015
Happy_Halloween said:
LionCake said:
Oct 27, 2015 7:23 PM
Sep 2015
mayukachan said:
VerballyStunted said:

That's actually a great point! : o

My only issue with this is that makeup is really expensive overall and if a shelter had like 300 people for example, they'd have to spend around 30-40 dollars on just one person.

Do women's shelters usually house that many people? The ones I know of around here are only equipped to house maybe 10-20 people, maybe a little more if there are small children that can share resources with their mothers. It would make sense for shelters to be bigger in places with higher population density, though.

I wouldn't imagine they'd go all out on the super frivolous stuff, at least if they're using any common sense. Like, things like foundation and concealer should automatically be out because there's no way to account for skin tones. When I say it's great, I'm imagining something like mascara, lip balm, and maybe some neutral eyeshadow in addition to the basic hygiene stuff, which shouldn't be too expensive.

Also, you probably know more about the situation than I do, but sometimes people running these types of fundraisers will partner up with cosmetic companies or retailers, which would also keep the costs lower. If they're not doing that, they should probably look into it. Companies love to have their names attached to that kind of thing, especially if it's a company that caters mostly to women.
Oct 27, 2015 7:24 PM

Sep 2012
DisdainMatto said:
Men more often then not get arrested themselves if they call police about being abused, and when calling abuse shelters either get straight out denied and told to basically fuck off, or referred to programs aimed at helping abusers stop abusing women.

But hey, women are oppressed because other people aren't buying their makeup for them.
Oct 27, 2015 7:28 PM

Mar 2008
A lot of this makeup is going to wind up in the trash. Its a very personal taste thing. Different skin tones need different makeup. Also some people do not even like makeup or are allergic.

That person at your school should not do the purchasing. Places like these get cheaper prices directly from manufacturers of goods and buy in bulk. You're throwing money away to do it yourself even if intended well.
Oct 27, 2015 7:34 PM
Aug 2015
Red_Keys said:
DisdainMatto said:
Men more often then not get arrested themselves if they call police about being abused, and when calling abuse shelters either get straight out denied and told to basically fuck off, or referred to programs aimed at helping abusers stop abusing women.

But hey, women are oppressed because other people aren't buying their makeup for them.

people also say women are opposed in the US when someone says we shouldn't have to pay for their birth control.

lol.
Oct 27, 2015 8:25 PM

Jun 2015
mayukachan said:
Yeah, even as a female, I have to say... It's not a great idea.

I know how expensive makeup is, and even worse, you can't share it with others. So one tube of mascara that costs $5 can only be used for one girl and that's one of the cheaper things. Also, it expires quickly. Mascara can only be kept for 3 months. Concealer and foundation go up to $30 if you want a decent tiny bottle of it.

when I read hygiene I didnt think skin exfoliaters........

but NO!

purdy makeup just gonna make em whores
Oct 27, 2015 8:27 PM

Jul 2012
KuroudoAkabane said:
when I read hygiene I didnt think skin exfoliaters........
Well, having clean skin is important.
Oct 27, 2015 8:48 PM

Jun 2015
Honestly... I rather donate it to a transwomens shelter. Since they're most likely pretty low on that stuff.
Oct 27, 2015 8:51 PM

Jul 2014
A shelter should only provide necessities.
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!
Oct 27, 2015 9:12 PM

Jul 2014
The shelter would know what they need more than makeup.
Oct 27, 2015 9:13 PM

Feb 2013
i dont see why not. the fundraiser is being upfront about it and its cheaper to buy in bulk. sometimes the woman might have a low paying job that demands cleanliness and try to get away from an abusive family.

besides, im sure itll make them feel happy
Oct 27, 2015 10:08 PM
Aug 2015
eturnity said:
i dont see why not. the fundraiser is being upfront about it and its cheaper to buy in bulk. sometimes the woman might have a low paying job that demands cleanliness and try to get away from an abusive family.

shelters are meant to provide you with food and shelter (SHELTERS ARE FOR SHELTERING??? WHO KNEW?!) while you get your life together/fix it

not to provide you with fucking beauty products lol.

there are MUCH better things to donate money towards.
Oct 27, 2015 10:36 PM

Feb 2013
cause said:
eturnity said:

shelters are meant to provide you with food and shelter (SHELTERS ARE FOR SHELTERING??? WHO KNEW?!) while you get your life together/fix it

not to provide you with fucking beauty products lol.

there are MUCH better things to donate money towards.
Are you trying to argue that this fundraiser shouldn't exist? The students are giving their money out of good will to comfort women fleeing from domestic abuse.

While we are at it, lets stop donating toys to poor families to christmas and also to terminally ill children with cancer because there are much better things to spend money on.
Oct 27, 2015 10:37 PM

Oct 2015
Lol.
Oct 27, 2015 10:48 PM
Aug 2015
eturnity said:
Are you trying to argue that this fundraiser shouldn't exist? The students are giving their money out of good will to comfort women fleeing from domestic abuse.

their comfort is the shelter. of which they get back on their feet. they should not be given more simply because "ive been through so much ;_;". thats not how shelters work. the make up isn't going to change ANYTHING. as opposed to the countless other things that could make a difference. sure you can choose how you spend your donations. but it doesn't make your choice any less retarded.

While we are at it, lets stop donating toys to poor families to christmas and also to terminally ill children with cancer because there are much better things to spend money on.

ya because a child that is dying is along the same lines of sheltered women. okay dude. lol.

i hold the same view with poor children getting toys instead of basic food and water. that shits stupid. you don't put luxuries over necessities and still call yourself poor. lol.
Oct 27, 2015 10:51 PM

Dec 2011
I'd rather die looking fabulous
Oct 27, 2015 11:09 PM

Feb 2013
cause said:
eturnity said:

their comfort is the shelter. of which they get back on their feet. they should not be given more simply because "ive been through so much ;_;". thats not how shelters work. the make up isn't going to change ANYTHING. as opposed to the countless other things that could make a difference. sure you can choose how you spend your donations. but it doesn't make your choice any less retarded.

ya because a child that is dying is along the same lines of sheltered women. okay dude. lol.

i hold the same view with poor children getting toys instead of basic food and water. that shits stupid. you don't put luxuries over necessities and still call yourself poor. lol.

The shelter is not using money to buy make up. No woman in the shelter is demanding make up. No one is forced to donate.

What problem are you seeing in all of this? That the kids are stupid for choosing a bit of happiness of some woman over the basic needs of others, and don't prescribe to utilitarianism? I highly doubt you spend all your disposable income on starving kids in Africa.

keep in mind I believe that Charities are obligated to do actions that lead to the greatest good for their target population. The donators, students in this case, are not held to that high of a standard and can spend money however they like.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What anime character would make a good villian in Courage The Cowardly Dog and why?

vasipi4946 - 9 hours ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

27 by hypergoob »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Apr 24

29 by ISeeLifePeople »»
31 minutes ago

» Believe it or not, but my father-in-law works for law enforcement

DesuMaiden - Yesterday

13 by hypergoob »»
37 minutes ago

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

11 by xthewarwithinx »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.