Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 29, 2015 11:42 AM

Jun 2014
I only know English, but I'm interesting in learning other languages. I've tried before and I also have a bit in school, but I havent gotten too far into anything.
Sep 29, 2015 11:43 AM
Oct 2014
Native Swedish speaker. I speak, think and dream in Swedish. I understand other mainland Scandinavian languages as well like Norwegian and Danish.

English is my second language. I used to be terrible in English from middle to late high school because I wasn't interested in it, then things changed when I got new teachers and started to regularly communicate with American relatives in ~2010/2011.

I know some basic German as well, since I studied the language for three years in high school. My skills in the German language isn't that good anymore though, I must change that negative trend somehow.

Sep 29, 2015 11:43 AM

Apr 2011
I only can speak English.... I'm always super impressed by people who know multiple languages, I know for a lot it's because they grew up in an English speaking country and their parents spoke a foreign language, but it's still impressive....

It always blows my mind when people criticize someones English online when it is clearly not their first language. How about you learn another language before you criticize people!
Sep 29, 2015 11:45 AM

Sep 2014
I took three years of Spanish in high school and was getting to the point of being semi-fluent, but I haven't used the language since and I've forgotten a lot of it.

So, English and some Spanish for me.
Sep 29, 2015 11:49 AM

Dec 2014
I speak english, spanish and dutch fluently. I know german too, though I can't speak it as well as I would like to. I basically think in those 3 languages, depending on the situation.
Sep 29, 2015 11:50 AM
Jul 2018
English, Romanian and Gunganisian. I think in Gunganisian , gunga!
Sep 29, 2015 12:05 PM
Jul 2018
Fintan said:
I'm always super impressed by people who know multiple languages, I know for a lot it's because they grew up in an English speaking country and their parents spoke a foreign language, but it's still impressive....

It's impressive and very useful, no doubt about this, but for some reason
I'm very sceptical to those young people who claims that they know
so many languages perfectly (3-5 languages when you're under 20).
Sep 29, 2015 12:18 PM

Feb 2014
mayukachan said:
I know Mandarin and English, but English is my first language. I also think in English. However, I speak in mixed with my parents. I also read/say numbers in Mandarin because it's quicker.

Yasssssss.

I think in Mandarin when I'm in China though.
Sep 29, 2015 12:19 PM

Oct 2010
Hungarian is my native language and i know German and English, my Serbian is at about 40% and my Japanese at about 3-10% but i haven't made much progress in those last two recently, and at some point i attempted to learn Italian but i quickly gave up.

I mainly think in my native language and sometimes in English.
Sep 29, 2015 12:22 PM

Jan 2013
Language is my weakest subject

I've been studying Vietnamese, Mandarin, French, and Spanish for years but it all leaves my head within a given year.

Doesn't matter anyways, English is objectively the superior language.
Sep 29, 2015 1:07 PM
Oct 2014
CommanderCaim said:

So objectively superior that it steals words from other languages, and bearly is English anymore.

Back in the days of Old English, good times.

Sep 29, 2015 1:08 PM
Dec 2014
Italian and slovenian. I think in slovenian, but why does it have to be so f****** complicated
j
Sep 29, 2015 1:09 PM
Mar 2011
i understand english enoigh to talk here ]

i talk Japanese and ainu learning dai and ryukyu

im also a a hobbyist linguist [ anime is part of my job so i have other things not saying anime is you guys only hobby
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 29, 2015 1:09 PM
Mar 2013
Rarusu_ said:
CommanderCaim said:

So objectively superior that it steals words from other languages, and bearly is English anymore.

literally every language around stole from other, now extinct, languages.
Sep 29, 2015 1:14 PM

Jul 2014
I know English, Greek, and school educated French
Sep 29, 2015 1:19 PM

Jan 2009
Personally, my native Language is German and to some Degree Romanian. With the latter however, it's stuck on the Level of a small Child.
I would say that I'm decently fluent in English and I do think in this Language as well (but only when I'm writing or speaking in English, though the latter is very seldom), it's just that my Vocabulary and phrasal Expressions are lacking.

Other than that, I know French, in which I used to have B1 Niveau, but it's been several Years and I can only read French Texts nowadays, since Reading Comprehension has been my strongest Point in all Languages.
Spanish is a similar Story, minus the B1 Certificate.

Basically, only English really stuck as a Foreign Language, because it's the one Tongue everyone is using and most interesting Media (Anime, Manga, Visual/Light Novels) are getting Translations in the first Place.

Rarusu_ said:
CommanderCaim said:

Yeah, too bad that assimilated Men from the North in Northern France aka "Normans" had been responsible for this Mess~
Sep 29, 2015 1:25 PM
Oct 2014
JD2411 said:
Rarusu_ said:

English is very radical though when it comes to be a language whore. More than 50% of all words comes from Romance languages and Greek. Eww.

German and Icelandic is much purer.

Sep 29, 2015 1:28 PM
Oct 2014
Noboru said:

Rarusu_ said:

Yeah, too bad that assimilated Men from the North in Northern France aka "Normans" had been responsible for this Mess~

That's another thing m8, it's like a brother lending over something to his sister.

The Normans were troublesome indeed. They betrayed us übermensch.

Sep 29, 2015 1:41 PM

Jan 2009
Rarusu_ said:
English is very radical though when it comes to be a language whore. More than 50% of all words comes from Romance languages and Greek.
Actually it's not the Words only that make English seem "strange" compared to other Germanic Languages, but how the Grammar changed as well.
Pretty much every (major) Germanic Language has V2 (Verb Second) Word Order with the big Exception of English, which has mostly strict Subject-Verb-Object (SVO).

The Normans were troublesome indeed. They betrayed us übermensch.
Yeah, and our Cousins from our common Grandfathers from the Saxons and Angles betrayed us as well.
Sep 29, 2015 1:43 PM

May 2015
Rarusu_ said:
Native Swedish speaker. I speak, think and dream in Swedish. I understand other mainland Scandinavian languages as well like Norwegian and Danish.

What about Finnish?
Sep 29, 2015 1:45 PM

Mar 2014
Ben-Hur said:
Rarusu_ said:

What about Finnish?
Finnish is not a Germanic language, in fact it's not even an Indoeuropean language

It belongs to the Uralic language family along with Estonian and Hungarian

Unless you've actually learned Finnish it's completely impossible for a Swede to understand a Finn speaking the language and vice versa

Example: "The cat caught the mouse"
Swedish: "Katten fångade musen"
Danish: "Katten fangede musen"
Norwegian: "Katten fanget musen"
Finnish: "Kissa kiinni hiiri"

See? Completely different
Comic_SansSep 29, 2015 2:06 PM
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Sep 29, 2015 1:56 PM

Jul 2015
Spanish and English.

I think in the language I'm speaking at that moment.

no I finish my sentences in the language I started.
Sep 29, 2015 2:02 PM
Oct 2014
Ben-Hur said:
Rarusu_ said:

What about Finnish?

It would be cool if I could speak and understand Finnish, but I can't. I believe it must be pretty hard to learn since it's not even an indo-european language. I found langauges that is not Germanic to be hard.

Noboru said:
Rarusu_ said:
English is very radical though when it comes to be a language whore. More than 50% of all words comes from Romance languages and Greek.
Actually it's not the Words only that make English seem "strange" compared to other Germanic Languages, but how the Grammar changed as well.
Pretty much every (major) Germanic Language has V2 (Verb Second) Word Order with the big Exception of English, which has mostly strict Subject-Verb-Object (SVO).

I think Swedish is also a SVO language :P

Swedish however, is not a good example of a pure langauge. We use more Germanic words than English though.

Sep 29, 2015 2:08 PM

May 2013
I can only assume that the majority of people who are fluent in all these languages are really not fluent at all. Then there's the case of people saying they speak like 5 languages but only speaking two fluently. Lies are too be expected.

Anyway, English yes, as that's my native, but I'm am almost fluent in Japanese(I haven't lived there) & this is 3 years in. I'm trying to learn Spanish, which is fairly easy, especially living in California where there are so many mexicans to practice with, also that my best friend's family is from South America.

Not asked, but I'd like to know at least 4 outside of English, Chinese for practicality and another latin based language like French or Italian.
Sep 29, 2015 2:10 PM

Mar 2014
Rarusu_ said:
Yes, it is – almost all Indoeuropean languages are as far as I am concerned – but it's also a V2 language, like Noburu said

For those of you who don't know how it works, here's an example:
"Yesterday I drove to Malmö" ----> "Igår körde jag till Malmö" -----> "Yesterday drove I to Malmö"

We use this in dependant clauses and it's almost exclusive for the Germanic languages
Comic_SansSep 29, 2015 2:17 PM
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Sep 29, 2015 2:12 PM

Jan 2009
Rarusu_ said:
Well, from that Point of View, you could also count most German Sentence as Subject-Verb-Object, unless it's really that uncommon to not start with the Subject in Swedish.

Yeah, vocabulary-wise, Swedish has preserved their own Words better than English, but grammatically spoken, it's similarly bad as English in that Regard.

Wasn't only recently a new "gender-neutral" Pronoun introduced and weren't the three Genders (male, female and neuter) abolished?
Sep 29, 2015 2:20 PM

Feb 2008
I suppose I've gotten to the level where I can say I 'know' Japanese, as I'm now able to read books in the language. Certainly still a long way from fluency, though. I'm not against learning Chinese or French at some point as well but I've already got my hands full with JP at the moment.
Sep 29, 2015 2:22 PM
Mar 2011
JD2411 said:
Rarusu_ said:

Japanese miuns in mindenr days have ge=rown in aot of iosation
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 29, 2015 2:23 PM

Jan 2015
Spanish is my first language, and I also speak English but I'm still learning and I have to improve a lot yet, especially on speaking.
Sep 29, 2015 2:27 PM

Mar 2013
I think and speak in Dutch and English most of the time but I know some more languages.
Sep 29, 2015 2:31 PM

Nov 2014
lemonymint said:
Dear MAL users,
I'm curious, is there anyone among you bilingual/multilingual? What language do you think in? Do you switch languages mid-sentence? Do you have problems translating some words?

I can speak French and English.

Even if my vocabulary in French is pretty wide, sometimes i just think about a word in English and block on it... Sometimes i just can't translate and have to look up in a dictionary. Now it happens more from English to French, even if my native language is the latter... Pretty funny.

I dream and think both in French and (basic) English.
Sep 29, 2015 2:32 PM
Mar 2015
I can speak english, hindi, french and spanish. currently learning mandarin. my french is a bit broken though since i haven't learnt it I just picked it up from a few friends who were from france.
Sep 29, 2015 2:32 PM

Jun 2014
l speak Spanish and English, Spanish being my first language. l speak/think more in English though. When talking in Spanish and l don't remember how to say a word in Spanish l say it in English. l rarely speak Spanish and l find it hard to speak and write sometimes.

Look alive sunshine!
The future is bulletproof
The aftermath is secondary
Its time to do it now and do it loud
Killjoys! Make some noise!
Sep 29, 2015 2:34 PM
Oct 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Rarusu_ said:
Yes, it is – almost all Indoeuropean languages are as far as I am concerned – but it's also a V2 language, like Noburu said

For those of you that don't know how it works, here's an example:
"Yesterday I drove to Malmö" ----> "Igår körde jag till Malmö" -----> "Yesterday drove I to Malmö"

It's applied in dependant clauses and is almost exclusive for the Germanic languages

"Igår, jag körde till Malmö" sounds almost poetic.

Noboru said:
Rarusu_ said:
Well, from that Point of View, you could also count most German Sentence as Subject-Verb-Object, unless it's really that uncommon to not start with the Subject in Swedish.

Yeah, vocabulary-wise, Swedish has preserved their own Words better than English, but grammatically spoken, it's similarly bad as English in that Regard.

Wasn't only recently a new "gender-neutral" Pronoun introduced and weren't the three Genders (male, female and neuter) abolished?

There is a theory saying that the urgermanic/proto-germanic language was some kind of contact language of an indo-european dialect/language and a pre-indo-european langauge, not related to indo-european at all. In that case it might have been an Uralic language, but it could also have been a language that was completely isolated and had no relatives, like Basque or Japanese.
~30% of the original Germanic words was not of Indo-European origin. Examples of this is "sword" and "shore". Indo-European peoples were Farmers, while the people who already lived in Southern Scandinavia and Northern Germany were Hunter-Gatherers, and 90% of all Swedes has DNA from these Hunter-Gatherers. Grim's Law is also special for Germanic languages.

It's an interesting thought.

Swedish and English are both so called analytic languages, and hence why we like to take in new words, etc.

Sep 29, 2015 2:49 PM

Jul 2015
I'm fluent in English and Spanish and am learning Italian.
Sep 29, 2015 2:52 PM

Mar 2014
Rarusu_ said:
NEJ FÖR I HELVETE

It sounds grammatically incorrect since you can't hear the "," and it's fucking disgusting
Nico- said:
Sep 29, 2015 3:01 PM
Oct 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Rarusu_ said:
NEJ FÖR I HELVETE

It sounds grammatically incorrect since you can't hear the "," and it's fucking disgusting

I natt, jag drömde något som, jag aldrig drömt förut

It's a classic

Sep 29, 2015 3:02 PM

Jan 2013
Rarusu_ said:

Rarusu_ said:
bearly

Rarusu_ said:
bearly
Maybe you'd know the superiority of English if you knew how to write it fluently you uncultured swine.
Sep 29, 2015 3:08 PM

Mar 2014
Rarusu_ said:
Comic_Sans said:
NEJ FÖR I HELVETE

I natt, jag drömde något som, jag aldrig drömt förut

It's a classic
Ok maybe that particular sentence

But not "Igår, jag..."
CommanderCaim said:
Rarusu_ said:

Rarusu_ said:
bearly

Rarusu_ said:
bearly
Maybe you'd know the superiority of English if you knew how to write it fluently you uncultured swine.
I like bears
Nico- said:
Sep 29, 2015 3:12 PM

Feb 2013
I'm Spanish and I know English although I'm still working on getting better at it.

Sep 29, 2015 3:13 PM
Oct 2014
CommanderCaim said:
Rarusu_ said:

Rarusu_ said:
bearly

Rarusu_ said:
bearly

You're right, bärly is correct

Sep 29, 2015 3:15 PM

May 2015
Rarusu_ said:
Ben-Hur said:

What about Finnish?

It would be cool if I could speak and understand Finnish, but I can't. I believe it must be pretty hard to learn since it's not even an indo-european language. I found langauges that is not Germanic to be hard.

It was difficult for me to learn, but living in the country helped a lot. Tycker inte att svenska är så hemskt komplicerat, påminner ganska mycket om engelska.
Sep 29, 2015 3:24 PM
Oct 2014
Ben-Hur said:

It was difficult for me to learn, but living in the country helped a lot. Tycker inte att svenska är så hemskt komplicerat, påminner ganska mycket om engelska.

Yeah, it goes a lot faster when you have to use the language to communicate. That's a problem for native English-speakers trying to learn Swedish, since like 85% of the Swedish population can speak at least basic English. At least that's what I've been told.

I think you are Swedish in disguise.

Sep 29, 2015 3:57 PM

Jan 2013
Rarusu_ said:
You're right, bärly is correct
Retreating huh?

CoNtInUe LiViNg In BaRbArIsM
PeenusWeenusCaimSep 29, 2015 7:10 PM
Sep 29, 2015 4:53 PM
Apr 2015
English and Korean

I speak mainly English because I live in Murica. I rarely speak Korean unless someone else notices I'm Korean and talks to me.

I can translate Korean poorly to what they are saying to English. I can't read Korean but I understand enough to watch Korean movies without English subtitles. As for anyone wondering why I can speak Korean and can't read. It's because when I lived in Korea, I never learned how to write at a young age. Also my parents only speak Korean so communicating with them I would have to speak Korean.
Sep 29, 2015 4:58 PM

Jun 2014
Jessica said:
I only know English, but I'm interesting in learning other languages. I've tried before and I also have a bit in school, but I havent gotten too far into anything.

Yep I can't remember much about French except for the basics.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Sep 29, 2015 5:33 PM

Jun 2007
I speak English, Riffian, Dutch and Arabic(currently studying). I usually think in Dutch since that's the language I use most.
Sep 29, 2015 5:36 PM

Jun 2014
I'm studying Spanish in school right now, but I'm definitely not fluent.
Sep 29, 2015 6:42 PM

Feb 2013
My first language is spanish but I can speak fluent english and italian. I was raised speaking spanish and english, while I started taking Italian classes when I was 6 years old.

Sep 29, 2015 6:47 PM

Mar 2013
I'm a native English speaker but I can speak fluent Spanish too. I know quite a lot of Chinese as well, but I'm definitely not fluent at it.
It's quite useful when I can't find anything translated/subtitled in English, I just have to search for them in Spanish or Chinese.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» What are you insecure about the most?

Ejrodiew - Apr 30

30 by traed »»
20 minutes ago

» Have you ever been falsely accused of anything?

Ejrodiew - May 1

24 by Cbr_Star »»
22 minutes ago

Poll: » do you believe in near term human extinction or NTHE?

deg - May 1

45 by monsta666 »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » do you believe that scientific theory are just a theory and scientific consensus are just opinions?

deg - 6 hours ago

13 by Malkshake »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » How will things look in 40 - 50 years?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 7

40 by Archean-Return »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.