Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Is it already widely accepted that Charlotte is by far the worst Key anime?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 28, 2015 6:12 AM

Mar 2014
gabrielrroiz said:
xthorgoldx said:

Except they are. On the drawing board, Charlotte had great characters and great plot, but in execution both were wasted - the interactions between previously-interesting characters made them flatter and less dynamic (see: Speed-kun's deevolution into a stupid gag character), and the plot points that were worth investigation were either ignored after checking off the box (see: all of episode 7) or completely batshit bonkers (see: all the timetravel bullshit).

so you could say what happend between the storyboard and the screen because if you watch charlotte you will konw the did not have anything of that

I assure you, I watched and rewatched this show in the vain attempt to find it good.
Sep 28, 2015 6:23 AM

Mar 2012
Toei adaptations were fixed by Kyoani so maybe we can't count them...

For me, compared with Air, Charlotte is a 10/10

HaXXspetten said:
Does Kanon 2002 count? :>

There's also the Clannad Movie....

That movie DON'T exist!
Waifus only represent ideals
Sep 28, 2015 6:28 AM

Sep 2014
I thought Charlotte was alright. I liked it more than Air, at least.
Sep 28, 2015 6:43 AM

Jun 2015
The series felt rushed, but was still enjoyable.

I had to watch the final episode twice, something I rarely do. Yes, you could easily fit an entire season into the final episode, but we all know that will never happen.
Sep 28, 2015 6:46 AM

Aug 2014
AB is worse if you ask me.

The characters were far more uninteresting than Charlotte, it was just as terribly rushed and the romance felt far more forced than Charlotte's imo. The comedy is the only thing I consider better in AB! than Charlotte.
Sep 28, 2015 7:07 AM

Feb 2014
Let's see if Rewrite will take Charlotte's title for worst fucking Key anime ever...

Or maybe 8-bit will pull a Rakuen.
"Just because I’ve gotten weaker, it doesn’t mean that you got stronger, right?" - Accelerator
Sep 28, 2015 8:13 AM

May 2014
I'm a big fan of Key. I wouldn't go so far as to say that this is the worst anime because there were several plus points.

But I felt that the producers couldn't decide what they wanted from this anime. It felt like they were thinking " Hey guys, I don't really know what to do with this, I don't really know where its going, but let's just wing it and see what the audience says after each episode. "

It's like they're just experimenting with the series to see what works and just trying to make changes and give people what they like without really thinking ahead about how the entire series will turn out as a whole.

It felt like they just lived from day to day, from episode to episode, and never really planned out a proper structure to the story (Which you really should do if you want your entire story to be coherent and your viewers to be left with a ' I can see how each piece fits together' feeling of satisfaction.)

With the many different special abilities, backstories of the individual characters and unsolved mysteries, they could really have done much more with this series if they just decided that they wanted to do with it and stuck to that.

Now instead we have an awkward salad of a pinch of supernatural, a pinch of slice of life, a pinch of romance, a pinch of psychological, a pinch of action, a pinch of moe, ...
You get my point. It's not as if an anime can't have all these elements, it's just that if you want to make a salad, you need to make sure that each flavour goes well with the other to make the entire dish palatable.

On the overall, I still enjoyed watching how the various special powers worked. I guess the moral of the story is that with power comes responsibility and a lot of trouble as well. So unless you can handle it, don't covet it. (;
Sep 28, 2015 8:16 AM

Apr 2015
Hoshi14 said:
I'm a big fan of Key. I wouldn't go so far as to say that this is the worst anime because there were several plus points.

But I felt that the producers couldn't decide what they wanted from this anime. It felt like they were thinking " Hey guys, I don't really know what to do with this, I don't really know where its going, but let's just wing it and see what the audience says after each episode. "

It's like they're just experimenting with the series to see what works and just trying to make changes and give people what they like without really thinking ahead about how the entire series will turn out as a whole.

It felt like they just lived from day to day, from episode to episode, and never really planned out a proper structure to the story (Which you really should do if you want your entire story to be coherent and your viewers to be left with a ' I can see how each piece fits together' feeling of satisfaction.)

With the many different special abilities, backstories of the individual characters and unsolved mysteries, they could really have done much more with this series if they just decided that they wanted to do with it and stuck to that.

Now instead we have an awkward salad of a pinch of supernatural, a pinch of slice of life, a pinch of romance, a pinch of psychological, a pinch of action, a pinch of moe, ...
You get my point. It's not as if an anime can't have all these elements, it's just that if you want to make a salad, you need to make sure that each flavour goes well with the other to make the entire dish palatable.

On the overall, I still enjoyed watching how the various special powers worked. I guess the moral of the story is that with power comes responsibility and a lot of trouble as well. So unless you can handle it, don't covet it. (;

I couldn't agree more.
Sep 28, 2015 8:18 AM
Jun 2015
Snappynator said:
AB is worse if you ask me.

The characters were far more uninteresting than Charlotte, it was just as terribly rushed and the romance felt far more forced than Charlotte's imo. The comedy is the only thing I consider better in AB! than Charlotte.

Ab had better feels and some kind of backstory for hinata, yui and yurippe...(obviously both were rushed and romance for AB was rushed, I agree)

For charlotte yuu and nao only gets the spotlight...with yusarin and that glasses guy serving as comedy relief only....

People nowadays rate for just enjoyment and art...sad to see
Sep 28, 2015 11:41 AM
May 2012
Hoshi14 said:

Well said. That's what the moral of the story sounded like to me as well, but the poor execution of it made the message kinda weak.
People often want to be talented, but what they don't know is that talents usually come with their own set of disadvantages and troubles, not only for you but for society as a whole- it sounded like a solid theme at the beginning, but it really failed to develop as episodes progressed. It could be so good and address issues that often affect the youth more than anything, and it kinda did with its first few episodes, but then again that's it...

Oh well. Like many have said, Charlotte is just really really a wasted potential. Sounds ironic now that I think about it.
Sep 28, 2015 1:35 PM

Dec 2012
Hoshi14 said:

Which is the same disease that plagued AB!

It had action, fighting, deaths, comedy, romance, music, flashbacks, sci fi, supernatural, moe, sports, SoL, etc.

Obviously that's maeda's approach to anime these days.

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Sep 28, 2015 2:19 PM

Sep 2014
Infatuate said:
Hoshi14 said:

It had action, fighting, deaths, comedy, romance, music, flashbacks, sci fi, supernatural, moe, sports, SoL, etc.

Lol you really have it out for key and maeda smh

Anyways, Charlotte to me is the worst key anime and one of the worst animes ive seen. It's also the most disappointing because i generally really enjoy anything made by key. Angel beats is also one of my favorite animes, so Charlotte was a huge disappointment for me.

I think it's likely gunna go down the most disappoing key anime at least until rewrite probably lol
Sep 28, 2015 2:33 PM
Sep 2015
ReinhildeReinka said:

Perfect description of ''ABshit''
MagicMisticSep 28, 2015 3:05 PM
Sep 28, 2015 2:39 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Man, reading all that stuff makes me wonder if i'm the only who genuinly really likes angel beats. .__.

Anyway, on the subject, i wouldnt be surprised thats its the worst one from Key.
Haven't seen every anime from them yet so i can't really say.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Sep 28, 2015 2:59 PM

May 2009
I'll say Kanon (2002), or Air as worst Key anime, (not worst as in bad just least favorite), Charlotte is just disappointing, but not bad, but at least Nao is one of my 3rd favorite lead female character in Key.

DatRandomDude said:
Man, reading all that stuff makes me wonder if i'm the only who genuinly really likes angel beats. .__.

Your not alone. To me, Angel Beat's is one of my favorite anime. I can see why people don't like it, but I'm different about it.
Sep 28, 2015 3:02 PM

Apr 2015
DatRandomDude said:

Anyway, on the subject, i wouldnt be surprised thats its the worst one from Key.

Who likes AB? Me. I love it. My favorite anime. Haters? They can rot in hell for all I care.
Sep 28, 2015 3:12 PM

Sep 2012
I would have to break Charlotte in half, really. The first half, that focused a lot on loss and dealing with it was really good. After episode 7, it started to lose it's grip though. I would probably have given Charlotte at least an 8/10 then, and maybe through episode 8 with ZHIEND, but it just fell apart with this last arc.

**Oh, and I would still put it above Air. (And likely all these toei adaptations I keep reading about)

Gotrys_Cheslock said:
DatRandomDude said:

Who likes AB? Me. I love it. My favorite anime. Haters? They can rot in hell for all I care.

Not my favorite, but I really did love it, and I have used it to break a lot of friends out of the "I-only-watch-anime-for-action" mindset. Haven't found anyone who disliked it really.
Sep 28, 2015 3:25 PM

Aug 2015
DatRandomDude said:

I love Angel Beats. Charlotte: not so much.
Sep 28, 2015 3:26 PM
Sep 2015
Angel Beats! is a haremshit, with a generic self insert MC, that interacts with girls, to create routes for a: Visual Novel/Eroge.
Angel Beats! was created to be a future reverse adaptation: Anime >>>> Visual Novel/Eroge.
Sep 28, 2015 10:46 PM

Jun 2014
I'm surprised people actually find Angel Beats worse than Charlotte seriously. Except for enjoyment factor(which vary since I didn't enjoy charlotte at all) I seriously don't see how Charlotte can be superior to Angel Beats in any way... and I don't even like Angel Beats.
Sep 28, 2015 11:19 PM

Sep 2015
MagicMistic said:
Angel Beats! is a haremshit, with a generic self insert MC, that interacts with girls, to create routes for a: Visual Novel/Eroge.
Angel Beats! was created to be a future reverse adaptation: Anime >>>> Visual Novel/Eroge.

perfect

I'm surprised people actually find Charlotte worse than Angel Beats seriously. Except for enjoyment factor(which vary since I am not a ''loser otaku'' self-insert dependent.) I seriously don't see how Angel Beats can be superior to Charlotte in any way... and I don't even like haremshit with a generic self insert MC, because I have a 3d girlfriend, I am not a ''otaku loser'' that need to do "self-insert" in an MC, in order to interact with 2d waifus.
[center]/[center]
Sep 29, 2015 12:00 AM

Sep 2012
Butthurt is strong within fans.
Sep 29, 2015 12:01 AM
Jun 2015
Inferno_Cop said:

That's the case for most fandoms anyway.
Sep 29, 2015 12:09 AM

Sep 2012
JewellTH said:
Inferno_Cop said:

But it hilarious to see that some fans are so butthurt that they are going as far as calling other people "otaku loser" for disliking this garbage. Not to mention they must remind others that they have 3D girlfriend(it is internet and everyone is hero of his own story) for internet satisfaction.
It must be hard for them having bad taste, my condolences.
Sep 29, 2015 12:12 AM
Jun 2015
Inferno_Cop said:
JewellTH said:

But it hilarious to see that some fans are so butthurt that they are going as far as calling other people "otaku loser" for disliking this garbage. Not to mention they must remind others that they have 3D girlfriend(it is internet and everyone is hero of his own story) for internet satisfaction.
It must be hard for them having bad taste, my condolences.

True, very true.
Most fans need to grow up these days.
Sep 29, 2015 12:28 AM

Mar 2009
This is the worst Key anime: http://myanimelist.net/anime/675/One:_Kagayaku_Kisetsu_e

Also, I still have mixed feelings about Charlotte. Probably because I got something else than what I was expecting (i.e. the feels you generally get when you watch a Key anime).
Sep 29, 2015 12:31 AM
Jun 2015
Toadounet said:
This is the worst Key anime: http://myanimelist.net/anime/675/One:_Kagayaku_Kisetsu_e

Never heard of it.
Sep 29, 2015 12:40 AM

Sep 2012
Toadounet said:

Also, I still have mixed feelings about Charlotte. Probably because I got something else than what I was expecting (i.e. the feels you generally get when you watch a Key anime).

Most of the member who worked on "ONE" visual novel joined Key later on. It wasn't a Key VN or OVA from the start iirc.
Sep 29, 2015 2:05 AM

Mar 2009
Inferno_Cop said:
Toadounet said:

Most of the member who worked on "ONE" visual novel joined Key later on. It wasn't a Key VN or OVA from the start iirc.

Yes, it's a bit similar to Nausicaa not being officially a Ghibli movie. Including One in the list of Key anime allows to choose easily the worst one ^^'

Between the others (Air, Kanon, Kanon (2006), Clannad & After Story, Clannad Movie, Angel Beats!, Little Busters & Refrain and Charlotte), the original Kanon seems to be the worse. But that's the only one I didn't watch, so I wouldn't know for sure.
Sep 29, 2015 6:36 AM

Mar 2014
MagicMistic said:

>haremshit
>self insert

You keep using those words. I don't think they mean what you think they mean.
Sep 29, 2015 6:42 AM

Jan 2013
It's not that great, all of them.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Sep 29, 2015 6:53 AM
Jun 2015
MagicMistic said:
ReinhildeReinka said:

Perfect description of ''ABshit''

LOL...a charlotte fan is butthurt...that's why posting shit abt other anime in every charlotte threads(where they are supposed to talk abt charlotte :P
Sep 29, 2015 8:35 AM
Aug 2009
All the arguments are funny because they applies for the two series.

Both are bad. Both are rushed. Both are everything what you want to say.

But people have tastes. Yeah, really, they have.

So some people prefer the AB! b*llshit, and some prefers Charlotte b*llshit.

I'm in the AB! camp, Charlotte is the worst rated anime on my list. I hate the characters, the "story" is bad, the music is meh, I don't like at all the art. I watched everything beacuse I wasted my time to watch the first 6 episodes. Charlotte is BAD. (the only exception is the opening, that one is fantastic.)

And I'm sure Charlotte fans can say absolutely the same things about Angel Beats. It's... just funny.

(yes I never posted a message before that one, xoxo)
Sep 29, 2015 8:37 AM

Jan 2015
Samu-tan said:
For me, Charlotte is the lowest rated Key anime on my list. And I think I've seen most of the anime adaptations of Key.

Little Busters has lower score.
Sep 29, 2015 8:43 AM

Aug 2008
Ishkoten said:
Not really Toei adaptions of Key VN are the worst
絶対大丈夫だよ

Sep 29, 2015 11:39 AM

Jun 2015
Yes..... yuu was a generic marionette.

you could see how this goes from a mile away...

& I am not even a big key fan, that lame lil busters narcoleptic while annoying was atleast a flesh out char. and It had girls.......... and cats.

this had tomori nao.
Sep 29, 2015 11:59 AM

Oct 2007
I still find people extremely lenient on this show given it's obvious problems and compared to other recent anime, but given that it's Key branded that's not really a surprise. If anything this show just introduced me to the concept that Key fans could actually criticize a Key anime written by their god Jun Maeda himself and be disappointed by it so in and of itself that's quite something.

Xenocrisi said:
Samu-tan said:
For me, Charlotte is the lowest rated Key anime on my list. And I think I've seen most of the anime adaptations of Key.

Little Busters has lower score.

At the time it was suffering massively from the "Not my Kyoani" fervent backlash and didn't have Maeda writing and Aniplex hype behind it so that's not surprising at all. Even then it still got over a 7/10 final rating but then what doesn't really on MAL a site where something like 200 animations ever produced in Japan have less than a 5/10 (which I see as meaning mediocre) and pretty much all of them are just music videos or shitty 1 shot OVA's from the 80's.
PeacingOutSep 29, 2015 12:05 PM
Sep 29, 2015 12:01 PM
Jun 2015
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I still find people extremely lenient on this show given it's obvious problems and compared to other recent anime, but given that it's Key branded that's not really a surprise. If anything this show just introduced me to the concept that Key fans could actually criticize a Key anime written by their god Jun Maeda himself and be disappointed by it so in and of itself that's quite something.

So instead of a guy who was intending to fix angel beat's flaws and failed, we got a guy who was testing to see if Key fans would like everything he produces? Alright then, that actually makes more sense.
Sep 29, 2015 12:06 PM

Apr 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Key fans have always talked shit about Angel Beats too. At least people with decent knowledge.
Sep 29, 2015 12:10 PM

Oct 2007
JewellTH said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

So instead of a guy who was intending to fix angel beat's flaws and failed, we got a guy who was testing to see if Key fans would like everything he produces? Alright then, that actually makes more sense.

All I know is that he's on record in a magazine interview saying he only really plans to listen to the people that say positive things about his scripts and that anything is else just useless "anti" opinion and that he's not going to worry about that. Essentially what this tells me is that he has about the mindset and professional level of conduct of your average MAL poster who think any criticism of a designated "get hype" show no matter how valid and sensible it is is a case of mass "haters hating" and nothing more.

The fact that people like this are in charge of some of the most popular anime with some of the biggest budgets, advertising and sponsor backing and producers of best selling scripts (granted we're talking about an industry where pretty soon sales of 5K or more are going to be considered a major success margin) and basically come across as total man children really mirrors the state of the fanbase and I can't help but believe it's something like a perfect marriage of end user and producer mentality and that people totally get what they deserve when they support people like that in more ways than one.

hoopla123 said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Key fans have always talked shit about Angel Beats too. At least people with decent knowledge.

At least unlike that show it doesn't seem like they went full bitch and buy and made it one of the best sellers of the year anyway. If people had told me for example that in 2015 a show like Kekkai Sensen which looked destined to bomb because of low otaku appeal and not a whole lot of hype would vastly outsell a new mega hyped KEY anime where the producers bought out TV specials, billboard space and newspaper ads just to plug it I would have suggested they didn't know the market well enough. At this rate it looks like there are going to be lots of shows that do better than the latest hip KEY anime this year.
PeacingOutSep 29, 2015 12:14 PM
Sep 29, 2015 12:28 PM

Dec 2012
davinci12 said:
Infatuate said:

Lol you really have it out for key and maeda smh

Anyways, Charlotte to me is the worst key anime and one of the worst animes ive seen. It's also the most disappointing because i generally really enjoy anything made by key. Angel beats is also one of my favorite animes, so Charlotte was a huge disappointment for me.

I think it's likely gunna go down the most disappoing key anime at least until rewrite probably lol

And you have it out for me, quit quoting me.

I loved clannad, its not like I HATE key, I'm just very disappointed to see how they can royally screw up shows with potential so beautifully.

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Sep 29, 2015 12:37 PM

Jul 2009
I liked it, it was rushed yes, but it was good.
Sep 29, 2015 1:47 PM

Jul 2013
According to MAL, Air is the worst Key anime (which is bullshit in my opinion). But you know, the overall ratings don't reflect the actual show...

This is just my personal rankings:
1. Little Busters/Refrain
2. Clannad/After Story
3/4. Kanon & Air
5. Charlotte
6. Angel Beats
この世界には。。。秘密がある
Sep 29, 2015 1:56 PM

Dec 2007
Rewrite is Key's best work. Charlotte is decent, not bad by any means imo. Better than Angel Beats. It was entertaining following it weekly.
Nov 26, 2015 5:43 PM

Nov 2008
Thai777 said:
I seriously don't see how Charlotte can be superior to Angel Beats in any way... and I don't even like Angel Beats.

Yuu is a far more interesting character than Otonashi was, imho so there's that. I can't say I like one better than the other....they're just different.

Aug 16, 2016 2:02 PM

Dec 2012
Well not anymore with Rewrite anime is airing
LightBladeNova said:
It makes me sad to know that still hardly anyone knows what a visual novel is, even in the anime community.
Aug 20, 2016 11:23 AM

Apr 2015
Ishkoten said:
Well not anymore with Rewrite anime is airing

Yup, filth called Rewrite is BY FAR the worst Key anime.
Someone said something about Kanon 2002 but that's just a myth.
Aug 31, 2016 3:04 PM
Nov 2015
yeah, rushed stories, average op(ed is ok), poor character development, ,,,most important, ,,,what the hell is the objective of this series?

AB is a lot better, even though the second half story is somewhat rushed and needs more explanation. But some characters have their own stories, which is good. Additionally, I enjoy listening the brilliant OP as well as I did to "Tori no uta" and "My most precious gift."

I am non-native English speaker, so, if anything confusing, ask me, please
Aug 31, 2016 3:11 PM

Feb 2016
I think Jun Maeda is animes worst work(er).

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Aug 31, 2016 3:13 PM

Apr 2015
Some people cling on to lost hope.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Charlotte Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 29, 2015

649 by MsBorsh »»
Apr 21, 11:49 AM

» Yuu's Ability

PenguinLam - Apr 18

37 by Yeshaiah2015yesh »»
Apr 21, 8:27 AM

Poll: » Charlotte Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Sakaitsu - Jul 4, 2015

652 by MsBorsh »»
Apr 21, 4:34 AM

Poll: » Charlotte Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2015

886 by KumaGetsu »»
Apr 18, 10:21 PM

Poll: » Charlotte Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 22, 2015

459 by Tsunamii_ »»
Apr 6, 4:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.