New
Aug 30, 2015 5:36 AM
Jul 2018
Or is it a separate story?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 30, 2015 9:38 AM

Jul 2012
Hard to say currently.
It takes place years after the first series, the leads are new characters and it takes place in a different location.
However there are 6 old characters confirmed to return(at least in the game), and this season is based on a unreleased second game and a third game is already being planned to be released 1,5-2 years after Itsuwari.

If you can, it wouldn't hurt to watch the previous series, it will at least teach you more about the world the series is set it.
Aug 30, 2015 11:22 PM

Dec 2014
I recomended if you watch the previous utawarumono because a few character will appeared again
Aug 31, 2015 10:03 AM

Jun 2013
Does Touka return in this?
Aug 31, 2015 10:40 AM

Jul 2012
ryanstrike said:

Yes.
Karura, Touka, Benawi, Kurou, Aruru and Kamyu is in Itsuwari according to the official website for the game.
Aug 31, 2015 9:00 PM

Jun 2013
zedar89 said:
ryanstrike said:

Yes.
Karura, Touka, Benawi, Kurou, Aruru and Kamyu is in Itsuwari according to the official website for the game.

Cool! Thanks for that info.
Aug 31, 2015 9:19 PM

Jun 2015
I think it's a sequel. ALSO the first is A GREAT anime!
Read Toriko!
Sep 1, 2015 8:37 PM
Mar 2012
I would definitely say so. And if you have the time, I would also recommend playing the VN too.
Sep 2, 2015 7:52 PM

Jul 2008
As others have said, definitely check out the first series you're interested in this new one. It'll immerse you more into the characters, setting and history of the world.

ryanstrike said:

Asking the important questions. ;)
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Sep 4, 2015 1:40 PM

Dec 2014
I wanna see this anime but have no time to watch old one. What am i gonna do?
Sep 7, 2015 9:41 AM

Jun 2015
itsmypurgatory said:
I wanna see this anime but have no time to watch old one. What am i gonna do?

I'd say watch this one anyways, worst case you can rewatch the old one much later look back and go Ohhhhhhhhh

On another note SOOOO hyped the original was sooo good i can't wait for this!!!
Sep 9, 2015 7:05 PM
Sep 2014
Oh damn, original is 2006, didnt even realise.
Its Alternative setting so no, its not needed to watch it. But i do recommend it since its good. Well, ending was kinda meh but show in general was really good.
Sep 13, 2015 10:14 PM

Nov 2007
Holy crap it's back. *fangasm*
Sep 16, 2015 1:44 PM

Apr 2015
Additionally, one of the new characters looks related to the event that happened at the end of the last series.

Hopefully this is going to be as good as the original. Played both the Visual Novel and watched the anime.
Sep 20, 2015 12:28 AM

Aug 2015
It's hard to say without seeing ep 1. I would err on the side of yes to watching the first series due to a few reasons. There are returning characters and they look older and the title translates to "False Mask". Not wanting to speculate but the main character may not be who Hakuoro was in the first series.
Sep 20, 2015 5:56 AM
Sep 2014
Yea, but its not spin off nor sequel. Its alternative setting.
I dont think it will be necessary to watch original for this one.
But like i said, you dont want to miss that one for other reasons.
Sep 21, 2015 8:48 AM
Dec 2011
NaCro said:

It's sequel, MAL's "alternative setting" is wrong.
Sep 21, 2015 8:49 AM

Apr 2014
D-Joe said:
NaCro said:

no its not a sequel

there already confirmed news on it stop spouting lies smh
Sep 21, 2015 2:23 PM

Jul 2012
What exactly is it that makes this being considered an alternative setting and not a sequel? Is it only because it takes place in the country Yamato instead of Tuskuru?
Sep 22, 2015 7:52 AM
Sep 2014
Well, it can be both. I didnt read VN but some sites say it sequel and some say its just in same universe. So, who knows. We will see for sure when it come out. Few more days.
Sep 24, 2015 1:36 AM
Dec 2011
moodie said:
D-Joe said:

no its not a sequel

No it's sequel, go ask anyone who played the game since it's released.
Sep 24, 2015 1:38 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Really there hasn't been all that much information released about this series as of yet so I think we'll have to watch the first episode to find out

Well personally though I played the VN a while back so I'm fine either way
Sep 24, 2015 2:05 AM

Jul 2007
D-Joe said:
moodie said:
no its not a sequel

No it's sequel, go ask anyone who played the game since it's released.

Yeah it is a 100% sequel. Not a side story, not an alternate story. A sequel.

moodie said:
D-Joe said:

no its not a sequel

It is most certainly a sequel. A very direct one. If you played the game without the previous one you would be confused as all fuck.

Well more like the first part of a sequel since the story is clearly going to continue/be-finished in next game after this. its more of a mid-game(like mass effect 2)

HaXXspetten said:
Really there hasn't been all that much information released about this series as of yet so I think we'll have to watch the first episode to find out

Well personally though I played the VN a while back so I'm fine either way

The game has already been released. It is a 100% sequel. Won't spoil more.
Sep 28, 2015 6:24 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
How many years later is this set after the first season/VN?
Sep 28, 2015 7:26 PM

Jul 2012
Tokoya said:

No exact year have been given, but around 16-18 years after.
If you wonder why the old cast doesn't look that much older, it's because the people in the utawarerumono world can live up to 200 years, so they probably stay in their prime for a longer time.
Sep 29, 2015 10:17 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
zedar89 said:
Tokoya said:

If you wonder why the old cast doesn't look that much older, it's because the people in the utawarerumono world can live up to 200 years, so they probably stay in their prime for a longer time.
Oh, that's pretty cool =o

I wonder if anyone has kids at this time
Oct 3, 2015 11:40 PM

Aug 2011
so different MC and heroines?
Oct 4, 2015 11:27 AM

Jan 2013
Duh, I for example going to re-watch Utawarerumono again to enjoy more. Hahaha! Sigh I miss those reaction on their tail and the similar pissed off attitude of Eruru... Such Rejuvenating feEeEeEeeling!!
Oct 4, 2015 2:17 PM

Jul 2014
Came here to find out the same thing - and I will definitely not be watching the previous version lol. Ain't nobody got time for that :P
Oct 4, 2015 8:19 PM

Mar 2011
Pyon2WarpKun said:
Duh, I for example going to re-watch Utawarerumono again to enjoy more.!
I'm doing this as we speak, High five :D
Oct 4, 2015 11:04 PM

Sep 2008
Go watch the original, i'm rewatching it. Guilty pleasure, it is actually a pretty decent series.
Oct 5, 2015 12:09 AM

Nov 2011
The best way to find out if a show is good is to just watch it, so that's what I'm gonna do. But seriously, if I'm just basing it on the comments here, I won't watch the 1st season.
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Oct 5, 2015 2:01 AM

Sep 2010
Whatever you need to watch that one or not, doesn't matter. Go watch it, it's a great series, with great characters and great story and the fact that it was made in 2006 doesn't change the fact that it is great.
Oct 5, 2015 9:09 AM

Jun 2013
Utawarerumono is one of my favorites.. even better if you've played the VN. Ranks in the same category as the Fate/stay Night and Full Metal Alchemist series IMO.
If you havent seen the first series I would recommend it, even if you have to delay watching the new series for a few episodes..
Oct 6, 2015 5:14 AM

Sep 2008
moodie said:
D-Joe said:

no its not a sequel

It was confirmed this is sequel - it takes place less than 20 years after 1st series.

There's no really need to watch 1st season to understand last two parts of Utawarerumono trilogy, but... it was really good series so it's worth to do it.
Oct 6, 2015 5:17 AM

Sep 2010
You might as well watch the first one first just to be safe. I haven't read the VN (can't read Japanese >.<), but I'm guessing the 2nd MC's name (Haku) might be related to the first MC's name (Hakuoro), based on what Kuon said in the 1st episode. (Don't tell me if I'm wrong, I'll just find out later.)

zedar89 said:
Tokoya said:

Where does it say their lifespan is that long? 2nd VN? Or did I miss it somewhere in the 1st VN?
Oct 6, 2015 5:23 AM

Jul 2007
Sacredus said:

There's no really need to watch 1st season to understand last two parts of Utawarerumono trilogy, but... it was really good series so it's worth to do it.

While you can understand the basic plot without it, if one has not watched the first season, they will be completely lost in the lore and what is going on, as well as a lot of meaning behind various events and scenes and character backstories and characters themselves.

A lot of enjoyment from this comes from being able to connect the dots and solve the mystery and seeing how various things connect together.

For example, the first five minutes of the show:
Someone who has not watched the first show would go "Meh some random guy walks and gets attacked by monsters", while the things within first five minutes would hold far different meaning to the people who know the first show and would work as a perfect hook to want to find out the implications of what happened.
Oct 6, 2015 6:55 AM

Jul 2012
Takata said:
You might as well watch the first one first just to be safe. I haven't read the VN (can't read Japanese >.<), but I'm guessing the 2nd MC's name (Haku) might be related to the first MC's name (Hakuoro), based on what Kuon said in the 1st episode. (Don't tell me if I'm wrong, I'll just find out later.)

zedar89 said:

Where does it say their lifespan is that long? 2nd VN? Or did I miss it somewhere in the 1st VN?

Yeah, it's a small comment made in the second VN when they talk about the emperor. I don't know if it will be mentioned in the anime, and I don't consider it really a spoiler since it's more on the lore side.
Oct 6, 2015 9:27 PM

Nov 2011
I'm done watching the 1st season. Once again I've seen more proof that 2015 is shit and the other years were better.
I was expecting some giant bugs for them to fight but nothing showed up though the jelly did. The food they ate in episode 1 didn't show up too, I was expecting it's their trademark food or something.
MC has the same VA as and acts similar to Kiritsugu which is always a plus for me.
ernstOct 6, 2015 9:32 PM
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Oct 7, 2015 9:14 AM

Aug 2013
ernst said:
I'm done watching the 1st season. Once again I've seen more proof that 2015 is shit and the other years were better.
I was expecting some giant bugs for them to fight but nothing showed up though the jelly did. The food they ate in episode 1 didn't show up too, I was expecting it's their trademark food or something.
MC has the same VA as and acts similar to Kiritsugu which is always a plus for me.

I planned to watch the first season 1-2 episodes per day, finished all episodes in two days
Oct 10, 2015 2:04 PM

Apr 2012
hmmm i never finished the prequel, but i played the game. I didn't like the prequel but probably because I already knew what was going to happen. I recommend playing the game. It's pretty good if you like games like Final Fantasy Tactics. Though I'm not entirely sure how faithful the anime was to the game.

Oct 10, 2015 2:52 PM
Nov 2013
I guess time to watch the original first.
Oct 12, 2015 8:22 AM
Jun 2013
Sacredus said:
moodie said:
no its not a sequel

It was confirmed this is sequel - it takes place less than 20 years after 1st series.

So not a sequle to the anime since in the anime that character is dead. It also wouldint make sense to plot even if that character was alive.
Oct 12, 2015 8:51 AM

Jun 2008
souledge94 said:
So not a sequle to the anime since in the anime that character is dead. It also wouldint make sense to plot even if that character was alive.

It's still a sequel, why is people insisting on this to not be a sequel, just because the MC is not the same?
FYI, the story is still going to be continued to Utawarerumono 3 and will tie up with characters from the 1st.

The makers of the anime doesn't care if you haven't played the VN, this is the adaption of the game which is a direct sequel to the first one.

The anime studio probably made that kind of ending because they are sure there is no continuation, but they're not LEAF/Aquaplus who's been known to release sequels that spans years between the prequel and the sequel in release date.
From first release -> Sequel
To Heart -> To Heart 2 = 7 Years
White Album -> WA 2 = 13 Years
Tears to Tiara -> TtT 2 = 8 Years
Utawarerumono -> Ut2 = 13 Years

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Oct 12, 2015 9:16 AM
Jun 2013
kaimax said:
souledge94 said:

It's still a sequel, why is people insisting on this to not be a sequel, just because the MC is not the same?
FYI, the story is still going to be continued to Utawarerumono 3 and will tie up with characters from the 1st.

The makers of the anime doesn't care if you haven't played the VN, this is the adaption of the game which is a direct sequel to the first one.

The anime studio probably made that kind of ending because they are sure there is no continuation, but they're not LEAF/Aquaplus who's been known to release sequels that spans years between the prequel and the sequel in release date.
From first release -> Sequel
To Heart -> To Heart 2 = 7 Years
White Album -> WA 2 = 13 Years
Tears to Tiara -> TtT 2 = 8 Years
Utawarerumono -> Ut2 = 13 Years

Its not about the MC being different.Its just seems to come off as ether a VN only sequel or a alter sequel since again that certain plot point makes no sense in the anime.
souledge94Oct 12, 2015 9:21 AM
Oct 12, 2015 10:18 AM

Jun 2008
souledge94 said:
Its not about the MC being different.Its just seems to come off as ether a VN only sequel or a alter sequel since again that certain plot point makes no sense in the anime.

Blame the previous studio for being too SFW and biased to Eruruu and omitted a certain scene from the game.

Oct 14, 2015 12:14 AM
Jun 2013
kaimax said:
souledge94 said:

Blame the previous studio for being too SFW and biased to Eruruu and omitted a certain scene from the game.

Then why not just roll with the anime outcome if your going to do a sequel to the anime. It just makes that plot point seem completely out of nowhere and makes it look like poor writing.
Oct 14, 2015 2:23 AM
Oct 2015
souledge94 said:
kaimax said:

Then why not just roll with the anime outcome if your going to do a sequel to the anime. It just makes that plot point seem completely out of nowhere and makes it look like poor writing.

Because that "plot point" is tied in with Kuon's motivations and backstory, and I'm ready to bet that by the third Utawarerumono, it's going to be the keystone of the whole story. Thus, if they changed THAT, the whole story would need to be overhauled and would end up completely different. Why the hell would they bother? And anyway, as it was already stated, this is an adaptation of the second game.

It's the first studio's fault for goofing off, and I'm holding them responsible for this mess. That said, I much rather have Kuon's being who and how she is. She's awsome, and the shows good so far,so what else do I need?
Oct 14, 2015 1:05 PM

Jun 2008
souledge94 said:

I'm gonna keep saying this. They're adapting the 2nd game, they don't give a damn fuck to the 1st anime, who did a good job of telling the main story line while FAILING on other aspects. One of those aspects is Hakuoro's relationship with other girls, the last studio was too biased to Eruruu.

Just simply think that this 2nd anime, retcons the incomplete ending of the 1st one. Please keep in mind that it's the original Studio's FAULT for this retcon.
kaimaxOct 14, 2015 1:13 PM

Oct 24, 2015 2:32 PM

Oct 2012
kaimax said:
Just simply think that this 2nd anime, retcons the incomplete ending of the 1st one. Please keep in mind that it's the original Studio's FAULT for this retcon.

Nice to say this but the studio is in fact the same for both animes. But it's true that 1st game >>> 1st anime.

Now, I see this as two separate series and I don't think it's needed to watch the first one prior to this, each tells its own story and I bet things will be explained on go when needed.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 14, 2015

106 by Grantlyn »»
Dec 14, 2023 9:48 PM

Poll: » Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 17, 2015

97 by Lolicon »»
Nov 8, 2023 9:33 PM

Poll: » Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2015

100 by tinker3bellz1 »»
Oct 19, 2023 6:56 PM

Poll: » Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2016

241 by StateofOhayo »»
Dec 29, 2022 1:43 PM

Poll: » Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2016

99 by StateofOhayo »»
Dec 29, 2022 1:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.