Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 13, 2016 12:08 PM

Mar 2014
My boy back in the 60s Anime wasn't even called anime but "kids cartoons" and man were they were popping nd the pooping just never stop.
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Oct 13, 2016 12:13 PM

Aug 2014
Well i just started watching at 23 years old (26 today) I miss that I didn´t start anime earlier. Cramped 400 animes in 3 years. With full part job and girlfriends. But I don´t regret it a bit. More that I only watched copy paste american sit coms.
Oct 13, 2016 12:57 PM
Feb 2015
Absolutely yes! I am 47 and Anime is a big part of my life. I started watching (thank you Netflix), in 2010 and I have consumed them like candy. I wish I had started earlier, like when I was a kid, but I didn't have the exposure like I do now. So yeah to answer your question, I love anime of all types and I will be watching it long into my 50, 60, and beyond!
Oct 13, 2016 1:13 PM

Sep 2014
I'm getting close to that age group sigh(and I'm still living in the US, and worse, NJ), and I still love watching anime.

There's no way you can outgrow great literature.
Oct 13, 2016 2:19 PM

Aug 2014
Zoltor said:
I'm getting close to that age group sigh(and I'm still living in the US, and worse, NJ), and I still love watching anime.

There's no way you can outgrow great literature.

This is true, It´s not like people will ask di 50 years old read books. (but if you still ONLY watch animes about little girls doing cute things you better have a grandkid/children IMO)
Oct 13, 2016 2:26 PM

Jul 2015
I'm pretty sure that there are some people that age who watch anime, just not as many as younger ones
Oct 13, 2016 2:28 PM

Feb 2010
Vuffy said:
Gross, what a waste of time if you still watch anime at that age

do you say the same thing to 40 year old fans of marvel and dc or star trek fans or starwars fans they are the same thing.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Oct 13, 2016 2:37 PM

Oct 2015
FloatingIdiot said:
I could see myself going through an anime phase at that age if I hadn't started earlier ...

That's exactly what happened with me.

Maybe some other >50yo are jealous, because I still have much good stuff to watch for the first time. :D
But I am in no hurry - if it is good enough for me to watch now, then it will also be good enough for me to watch in 10 years or so.

Z-Dante said:
[…]
Though I'm pretty sure they won't like the same ecchi harem shows I watch. :D

Well, I liked Blade Dance of Elementalers and would even argue for it not being that bad.
And I had fun watching High School DxD (1st season) - that was the first time I saw sth. "ecchi" anime, it happened to be on TV.

I guess my pickiness-from-age is more along those pet peeves I already developed over the years with books/writing, films and TV-shows.
BannoBunka_snorkOct 13, 2016 2:44 PM
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Oct 13, 2016 2:48 PM

Oct 2014
On_the_Lam said:
zombie_pegasus said:
Seinen is made for men from 17 years old up into their 40s. Josei is the same for women. I'm sure there are people in the west that old who watch anime too, but like everything anime related it is more common in Japan.

Isn't Erased seinen? I don't see anyone competent above the age of 15 taking it seriously.
Just because something is made for a demographic doesn't mean they will be the ones taking it the most seriously. The shoujo and josei fans of shounen manga like Naruto and Haikyuu often take it more seriously than the fans who far into the targeted demographic. Seinen anime/manga like Another and Elfen Lied would probably seem scarier and more mature to younger readers and viewers than they would to the people in the targeted demographic.
Oct 13, 2016 3:09 PM

Feb 2015
Probably, but not as large as kids who always "hate" fanservice stuff and always rants about it.
AzureDaora said:
Of course.
There are some ojisans in this forum

Perhaps a Lolicon?
Oct 13, 2016 4:06 PM

Sep 2010
Maguro-chan said:
I think that 40-50 year olds WILL watch anime once this generation reaches that age, but the anime boom was fairly recent. Most 40-50 year olds now probably didn't even know about anime when they were young. It's possible that some are introduced to it and love it but ask this question in 20-30 years and you'll get a much better answer.

There's also the issue that in general most 40-50 year olds don't really participate in online communities, again some do but it's not as common for them as it is for younger people who grew up with the internet.

i do have 3 friends of mine that are 45+ , with kids and wife and they still watch anime

"Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss
Oct 14, 2016 1:32 AM

Apr 2013
Well I don't know for sure. My dad though watches One Piece with me when I put it on the tv screen. Thx you technology.
A Story will always come to it's end. The thing is, will you move on after it's over?
Oct 14, 2016 1:58 AM
Nov 2013
I'm pretty sure there are people that age still watching anime...
Oct 14, 2016 2:06 AM
Jul 2018

Yes.

And I see nothing wrong with this at such age (and older).
It's art after all. You appreciate it or not, as simple as that.
Oct 14, 2016 7:01 AM
Aug 2015
zombie_pegasus said:
On_the_Lam said:

Isn't Erased seinen? I don't see anyone competent above the age of 15 taking it seriously.
Just because something is made for a demographic doesn't mean they will be the ones taking it the most seriously. The shoujo and josei fans of shounen manga like Naruto and Haikyuu often take it more seriously than the fans who far into the targeted demographic. Seinen anime/manga like Another and Elfen Lied would probably seem scarier and more mature to younger readers and viewers than they would to the people in the targeted demographic.

So basically seinen is material designed for 13 year olds but made for 17 year olds and up to enjoy?
Oct 15, 2016 3:39 PM

Feb 2010
Vuffy said:
kamisama751 said:

For the awesome highly detailed sakuga tentacle scenes of course.

Of course.....

hazerddex said:

do you say the same thing to 40 year old fans of marvel and dc or star trek fans or starwars fans they are the same thing.

I say this to my 24 year old self everyday, a 40 year old is no exception.

so you dont aprove of people watching star wars or mavel movies when they are 40 you think they should watch reality tv instead?
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Oct 16, 2016 12:54 AM

Jul 2013
People at that age group do watch anime, but still uncommon. Anime fans are more likely to be younger anyway.
Oct 16, 2016 4:52 AM

Dec 2015
[size=100] Yes, my father is over 50 and he still watch whatever anime is on TV mostly shounen though like Dragon Ball Z/size]
Oct 16, 2016 4:56 AM

Jul 2014
My mother is 50 and, while she doesn't watch anime consistently, she really loves Studio Ghibli and likes Death Note quite a bit.

My father used to read manga too, namely Iron Fist Chinmi.
LoveLikeBloodOct 16, 2016 5:02 AM
Take care of yourself

Oct 16, 2016 4:57 AM

Jul 2014
No, 40-50 years old people don't exist.
Nov 26, 2016 3:42 PM
Mar 2015
I didnt grow up with anime and was over 30 when I started watching it. The only difference now is that shows that are aimed at younger audiences doesnt appeal to me anymore.
Nov 26, 2016 4:04 PM

Sep 2016
Being a member of the 50+ age group, I can confirm that some of us do.
As was told to me by a family member, there are worse things I could be doing with my time.
You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Nov 26, 2016 4:22 PM
Jul 2018
Yes but only the ones involving octopuses and high school girls ^^

OT: While i haven't met anyone around age, i do believe there might exist some people of that age who do still in fact watch it.
Nov 26, 2016 4:27 PM

Jul 2010
kuuderu said:

Yes.

And I see nothing wrong with this at such age (and older).
It's art after all. You appreciate it or not, as simple as that.

This. It should just be as any other else entertainment, I mean older people still watch TV and movies so why should anime be any different, it's just animated.
Mar 20, 2022 8:40 PM
Mar 2022
I’m in my mid 40s, I don’t believe growing up with technology or not has anything to do with the topic as some stated. I also work in the technology field and people from kids to adults older than me don’t all know how to full maximize tech.. anyway yeah I started watching with my kids, including my wife. we all watch anime as a family together for the most part.
Mar 20, 2022 9:05 PM

Jan 2022
This is seriously a question??? Anime doesn't have an age limit. Be 44 years old in 17 days (as of this post). Still collecting/watching the physical media too. Prolly watch more anime now than I did 31 years ago in late 1991.

Yeah... ain't never going to stop. NEVER. Well... I suppose when I'm dead I won't be able to watch anime anymore.
Mar 20, 2022 9:42 PM

Feb 2010
Unless I die during the next 7,5 years, I'll be watching anime in my 40s.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 20, 2022 9:58 PM

Sep 2008
Grendizer_ said:

Yeah... ain't never going to stop. NEVER. Well... I suppose when I'm dead I won't be able to watch anime anymore.

that priss poster is awesome! she looks so happy on it.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Mar 20, 2022 10:03 PM

Apr 2020
I'm sure there are older people who watch anime, I don't think I would completely give up anime or manga as I age, but I might take breaks from time to time due to life getting in the way.
“You flounder through life, struggling desperately so you won't drown, even though you would float if you'd just relax.”
Mar 20, 2022 11:36 PM

Jan 2022
nyugvo6 said:

that priss poster is awesome! she looks so happy on it.

Yeah that's one of my pride & joys of my collection, that Hurricane Live Priss & The Replicants poster. Some friends and I have decided if we're still alive(cause these days who the hell knows anymore) on Dec 31st 2032, we'll meet up in Japan somewhere in a salute to that Concert Date at the "Hot Legs Cafe". ---Dunno if that'll happen, but that be cool. Be even cooler if Kinuko Oomori, IF STILL ALIVE would actually preform her old Bubblegum Crisis songs on that night somewhere in Tokyo and it get promoted all over the Internet.
Mar 21, 2022 8:49 PM
Mar 2022
Depends on the anime - but yeah. I think anime like Clannad mean more the older you get.
Mar 21, 2022 9:11 PM

Feb 2021
Yes, why not. There are many anime despite age gap.
Mar 21, 2022 10:00 PM
Jul 2018
Without us Diskotek Media would have gone bankrupt...
Mar 22, 2022 11:06 AM

May 2016
no, but every1 inbetween does

reeeeeeeeeeee limit
Mar 22, 2022 1:37 PM

May 2019
I'm pretty sure i will be in that age watching anime.

But i think some people is mistaking. Being a eccentric weeaboo is cringe with 14 years old the same way it is with 41.

This is not a question of watching anime or not, it is about how you do it (and more).
Mar 22, 2022 2:28 PM

Mar 2021
There is no age cap for Anime. People don't just suddenly give up hobbies or enjoyment of watching TV and movies just because they get older. If anything you will find having more leisure time in your life as you get older if you didn't waste decades of your life being satisfied living as a bum in your parents basement.

There are people I know who are still living in their parents basement that have never worked a day in their life other than part time work just to get a little spending money. One acquaintance I know has run into a huge problem recently where his mother died. This 50 year old acquaintance basically ended up with no inheritance after his mothers death. Even the house he was living in was on a reverse mortgage plan so if he chose to stay he would have to pay for property tax and utilities which he couldn't even afford to do if he wanted. This guys life got exponentially harder at the age of 50. Now He doesn't have the luxury to play videogames all day or even highspeed internet for that matter. Watching Anime has suddenly become the last thing on this guys mind, forced to work two part time jobs just to afford rent and food leaving him very little leisure time at all.

I can't speak for everyone but this type of situation doesn't sound very appealing to me.

Not sure what the deal is with the sudden threads about getting older are all about. Maybe some users are starting to have a middle age crisis? Usually if someone suddenly stops watching Anime after being into the medium for years, it's usually not by choice. They simply are forced to do so because they can't afford to waste their life anymore on this medium.
ColourWheelMar 22, 2022 2:43 PM
Mar 23, 2022 7:47 AM
Propmaker/Etsy

Jun 2014
I don't know of anyone 50 year olds but I only of some mid 30s
I am pretty sure I will keep watching ;)
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» What does it mean when you rate an anime 6?

Akuya - 14 minutes ago

1 by MedK001 »»
9 minutes ago

» Does femdom ruin romance anime for you?

Sanjay63773 - 6 hours ago

26 by Dizzy-san »»
17 minutes ago

» When was the last time you felt happy/satisfied after watching an anime episode? :)

Rinrinka - Mar 27

43 by APolygons2 »»
18 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 27

81 by MichaelJackson »»
29 minutes ago

Poll: » Your favourite romance ( 1 2 )

Jackson_rajkumar - Yesterday

85 by 0arche »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.