Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 14, 2015 8:19 AM

Jun 2014
davinci12 said:
FireEmblemIke24 said:

Just face it, the show was not for him. Stop being butthurt and let it slide.

What are you? His boyfriend. Lol. I'm sure you know all about being butthurt ;)

Where the hell did you pull that from? xD

And yeah my ass really hurts from sitting too much :)
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jul 14, 2015 8:20 AM

Nov 2014
Fostah said:
It is helpfull ofcourse, as a lot of MAL ratings are from true anime watchers If I can say it in that way, It's all up to opinions and what you like, but most of the time atleast for me ratings help out.

so there are fake anime watchers?
how does that work

Jul 14, 2015 10:23 AM

Jun 2011
I use it to look for potential shows to watch.
Once Gintama owns the entire top ten, it'll truly become the pinnacle of anime :^)

Jul 14, 2015 7:22 PM

Mar 2015
davinci12 said:

Oh snap.
Jul 14, 2015 7:26 PM

Apr 2013
barthos said:
How the hell Shigatsu ranked 13?.That crap is higher than Nana,Ef a tale of memories and other handful romance anime that are clearly better in story and character.

Because most of the people who rated it that high haven't watched any of those older shows yet. Shigatsu came out last fall so ya... pretty new.
Jul 14, 2015 7:29 PM

Aug 2014
hoopla123 said:
barthos said:
How the hell Shigatsu ranked 13?.That crap is higher than Nana,Ef a tale of memories and other handful romance anime that are clearly better in story and character.

Because most of the people who rated it that high haven't watched any of those older shows yet. Shigatsu came out last fall so ya... pretty new.
you have a very good point lol
Jul 14, 2015 11:30 PM

Mar 2015
I don't believe this rating. After all we humans have different opinions and what we like.

Some people hate moe characters, some people hate sadistic characters, and so on. Not to mention there are some trolls out there who make account to rate 1/10.

So no. Ratings in MAL is only to cater your attention on how "generally" people like this. You, and only you, will have to rate it by yourself and judge if it's good or not. Just don't bash other people's opinion of the anime. Just because you think it's bad, doesn't mean it's bad for that other people.

Jul 14, 2015 11:38 PM

Jan 2015
DarklordVor said:
I don't believe this rating. After all we humans have different opinions and what we like.

Some people hate moe characters, some people hate sadistic characters, and so on. Not to mention there are some trolls out there who make account to rate 1/10.

So no. Ratings in MAL is only to cater your attention on how "generally" people like this. You, and only you, will have to rate it by yourself and judge if it's good or not. Just don't bash other people's opinion of the anime. Just because you think it's bad, doesn't mean it's bad for that other people.

Yea, there are some people like that. There are also people who make accounts to give an anime 10/10. lol . But I still think that there are more genuine accounts on MAL than fakes.
Jul 15, 2015 12:27 AM
Jul 2018
davinci12 said:
FireEmblemIke24 said:

Just face it, the show was not for him. Stop being butthurt and let it slide.

I didn't like it, so what? You have shows you didn't like either. I'd tell you to shove Stein's Gate up your ass but you already have a stick wedged in there real good. Fuck off.
removed-userJul 15, 2015 12:40 AM
Jul 15, 2015 12:33 AM

Jan 2015
AzureDaora said:
Fostah said:
It is helpfull ofcourse, as a lot of MAL ratings are from true anime watchers If I can say it in that way, It's all up to opinions and what you like, but most of the time atleast for me ratings help out.

how does that work
maybe those people who only registered MAL for the forums? (Who wood do that anyways lmao)
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jul 15, 2015 12:36 AM

Aug 2013
Deus-Vult said:
AzureDaora said:

how does that work
maybe those people who only registered MAL for the forums? (Who wood do that anyways lmao)

i think fake anime watchers are those who put shows at completed even they didn't watch the shows i already saw 2-3 people do that
Jul 15, 2015 3:59 AM

Jun 2014
Yeoun said:
Deus-Vult said:

i think fake anime watchers are those who put shows at completed even they didn't watch the shows i already saw 2-3 people do that

I've seen that before. I ask people their opinions on a show only to say it's shit without proper explanation.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jul 15, 2015 4:23 AM

Jul 2015
Nope,i'll search for reviews first or if i can't,i'll watch few episodes on my own
Jul 15, 2015 5:01 AM
Jul 2015
yeah, if an anime is rated low by a lot of people it probably sucks ass, if an anime has a lot of haters then it probably beyond the abyss of suck.

but if an anime is rated high by a lot of people and that anime has a huge fan base well... i might like it but it really depends if it's my cup of tea.
Jul 15, 2015 6:11 AM

Apr 2011
AttackOnTetris said:
RedTie47 said:
No. Steins Gate is number 2 and I dropped it. Boring shit.

After 4 episodes? The first 5 or so episodes are known to be slow but it picks up.

More like the first 12 episodes, aka half the thing. if 50% of the anime is boring crap than the whole thing is crap. The second half is average at best and doesn't justify the horrible first half.
Jul 15, 2015 6:14 AM

Aug 2010
im not interested in slice-of-life, harems or most shonen anymore... so that top list doesn't have much to do with me
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Jul 15, 2015 1:13 PM
Jul 2015
I use to rely on the top ratings but after a while I realized it's for the most part unreliable when it comes to personal taste.
Jul 15, 2015 1:17 PM

Jan 2008
No, I don't follow any ratings.
Jul 15, 2015 2:16 PM

Mar 2013
You don't have to agree with it, but it's useful to know what the top rated anime is
Jul 15, 2015 2:37 PM

Mar 2011
Tarotist said:
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. What one may like, another may dislike. What one show is considered trash, another may consider it a treasure.

This. I tend not to look at the top ratings at all, because it all depends on personal preference. I'd rather try a show and see for myself if I like it or not.
Jul 15, 2015 2:40 PM

Aug 2014
Tarotist said:
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. What one may like, another may dislike. What one show is considered trash, another may consider it a treasure.
Jul 15, 2015 4:13 PM

May 2014
I've watched most of the top rated anime besides Gintama, Code Geass and a few other things. But I don't follow it. I just want I want to at the time.
Jul 15, 2015 5:01 PM

Sep 2013
I used to before, some of the top shows from the top 50 have well earned their respective spot but others.....not so much.
sic mundus
Jul 16, 2015 12:46 AM

Jan 2015
Valaskjalf said:
AttackOnTetris said:

After 4 episodes? The first 5 or so episodes are known to be slow but it picks up.

More like the first 12 episodes, aka half the thing. if 50% of the anime is boring crap than the whole thing is crap. The second half is average at best and doesn't justify the horrible first half.

WilliamMAL said:
What I take in are other critic's and long time anime viewer's opinions about series and their ranking and ratings.

MAL's Top Anime List is very centered towards popular anime. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is not at all the best out there. Steins;Gate is not a perfect anime. Then many shows that are of high quality should not be rated so low.

MAL's Top Anime List is simply what the fan base believes to be good. Thus, not entirely true. Popularity plays a significant role in the ratings an anime receives. I would say, recommendable first time anime are easily given using this list.

Agree with both of you!
Jul 17, 2015 2:35 AM

Nov 2014
Usually I pick up anime regardless of its ratings, and I will rate it however I like. Though I do ocassionally check the top anime for fun (by ocassionally I mean like once every 6 months or something).
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jul 17, 2015 2:57 AM

Dec 2014
Yeah, sometime, it's useful to save my time for not watching shitty anime
Jul 17, 2015 3:33 AM

Feb 2015
Fuck raiting
Fuck Sao
Fuck erza
Jul 17, 2015 3:35 AM

Aug 2013
SnowLordd said:
Fuck raiting
Fuck Sao
Fuck erza

dayuummm
Jul 17, 2015 4:03 AM

Apr 2014
Yeoun said:
SnowLordd said:
Fuck raiting
Fuck Sao
Fuck erza

dayuummm
He mad....
Jul 17, 2015 4:26 AM

Jun 2012
MAL's rating system has some concrete flaws, but as long as you understand them and take them into account, there's nothing wrong with using them as a basis for some things. All things being equal, an anime in the top 100 is likely to be better than an anime outside the top 5000. Maybe not every time, and of course this shit is subjective, but lets be real here. Surely no-one is that much of a special snowflake they they think the collective ratings of thousands of people mean absolutely nothing, and that there's zero correlation between rankings and quality. There's not a 100% correlation either of course, but it sure as shit isn't 0%.
Jul 17, 2015 5:04 AM

Jun 2013
You guys just being a tsundere. Every time one says I don't care about MAL's rating, I know he's actually stalking, obsessed with it, oh and gone berserk when Gintama hogging the top ten.

Opinion of the masses is always helpful, there are also reviews. So..
Jul 17, 2015 8:12 AM

Apr 2013
I do check out top ratings once in a while, but I don't pick my anime based on that. Generally, a lot of anime in the top 100 don't suit my tastes very much. I do think that the top rated anime have more objective quality than some #2485 ranked show, but then again it is based on the opinion/interest of the majority. If your tastes don't really fit in with the majority then the top list isn't really going to matter. Plus there are a lot of newbies/fanboys who vote their favorite shows up, so a lot of the time a more popular show might just get a higher rating because it has a lot of fans to back it up.

That being said,ratings do affect my expectations a bit. when a show is rated 8.7 I'm like "this shit better be good" whereas I go into a 6.8 show being more like "well,let's just check this out and see if I can find some enjoyment in this show."

TL;DR the top anime list doesn't really affect me,because most shows there don't really fit my taste and I pick shows based on other things that the ranking on the top list.
Jul 17, 2015 9:32 AM

Jun 2015
If I want to watch something, I'll check the reviews, but mostly not the ratings. I like casual anime more than I like hardcore anime anyway, so MAL ratings don't usually agree with me.
-_-
Jul 17, 2015 9:52 AM

May 2010
I usually believe them because my favourite anime are rated quite high. And I don't have any problem with it.
Jul 17, 2015 4:37 PM

Nov 2014
They're pretty reliable for the most part.

"I had thought that all my days were wasted,
where in fact they were such a bounty.
Always dreaming of the unrealistic,
I never looked what I had around me."
- Tatami Galaxy
Jul 17, 2015 5:30 PM

Mar 2013
I cherry pick my own Anime.
Jul 17, 2015 7:13 PM

Dec 2014
Rating can somewhat influence me but that won't stop me from watching something with a rather low score. Though to be fair outside of really old (Like 80's or earlier) stuff and some elitist shows like Texhnolyze I haven't heard of a supposedly good series that has a bizarrely low score on here. (Yes, some get offended when there favorite series has a 7 on here; Though we don't talk about those people)

Though IMO complaining about scores and tastes (to me anyways) just boils down to "WHY DON'T PEOPLE THINK LIKE ME? (SOBS)". (If you got offended by that I'm truly sorry)
Jul 18, 2015 1:17 AM

Mar 2012
sometimes but usually the top rated series are ones i've already seen or ones that i looked into but decided not to watch.
i'm more likely to just look at individual's ratings of anime they liked, if anything.
Jul 18, 2015 3:04 AM

Jun 2012
I personnaly try to rate the animes i view in the most objective way possible (excluding Gintama).

But I know that the majority rate the animes they watch on a very subjective basis without stepping back at all.

This can lead to very awkward results, like having Code Geass season 2 in the top 10 of MAL most rated animes.

Put this aside even if it can be helpful, I still i prefer asking my friends or people I trust to recommand me animes. I also happen to search by genders and usually if I like the chara-design and the synopsis, I watch it.

I apologise for my poor english.
Jul 18, 2015 3:05 AM

Jun 2015
In my opinion most of the highly ranked shows are either really good or terrible. So no.
Jul 18, 2015 3:41 AM

Feb 2014
I wouldn't watch anime, which average score is less than 5, so in that way yes.
Jul 18, 2015 5:14 AM
Jul 2015
I dont believe it is the top anime ratings ..Still a lot of anime is still a good story line than the top anime ratings
Jul 18, 2015 12:16 PM

Feb 2015
SnowLordd said:
Fuck raiting
Fuck Sao
Fuck erza

Fuck Free
Jul 18, 2015 12:17 PM

Jul 2015
SnowLordd said:
Fuck raiting
Fuck Sao
Fuck erza

Fuck FT
Fuck Gleach
Fuck Tsotne
Fuck Guga
BrawlerJoeJul 19, 2015 10:09 AM
Jul 20, 2015 5:55 AM

Jul 2015
PegasusNoSeiya said:
SnowLordd said:
Fuck raiting
Fuck Sao
Fuck erza

Fuck FT
Fuck Gleach
Fuck Tsotne
Fuck Guga

Exorcizamus te, omnis immundus spiritus, omnis otaku-like potestas,omnis shit-squared-weeaboo posts,infernalis advesarii, omnis naruto character

te rogamus, audi nos, bitch!

from Guga
Jul 20, 2015 6:00 AM

Feb 2015
Castielthebadass said:
PegasusNoSeiya said:

Fuck FT
Fuck Gleach
Fuck Tsotne
Fuck Guga

Exorcizamus te, omnis immundus spiritus, omnis otaku-like potestas,omnis shit-squared-weeaboo posts,infernalis advesarii, omnis naruto character

te rogamus, audi nos, bitch!

from Guga

Nice
Jul 20, 2015 6:14 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
No. What would be the point?
BatoKusanagiJul 20, 2015 6:17 AM
Jul 20, 2015 6:17 AM

Oct 2013
No, because I have my own opinion and I don't care of anime rating.
Jul 20, 2015 6:21 AM

Jul 2015
Most of the time I trust the ratings, but newer shows tend to skew with the lists a bit. New shows tend to get more extreme ratings, like shoot straight to top 10 or lie low at the tail end all thanks to the changes in popularity and hype. If a show is at least 5 years old and is still getting top ratings I'd definitely consider watching it.
Jul 20, 2015 10:50 AM

Jul 2007
Some scores are a bit different, but mostly I think it's correct. Quite a few of my highest rated shows are also in the top 20-ish.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Don't you find the obsession with fictional characters in the anime community alarming?

tappioca - 23 minutes ago

20 by tappioca »»
14 seconds ago

» Does Manhwa Anime reflect the Plastic Surgery Culture of Korea?

Dragevard - 2 hours ago

7 by ST63LTH »»
1 minute ago

» dark humor in anime

deg - 54 minutes ago

10 by Zarutaku »»
1 minute ago

» Does your waifu know how to strike a good pose?

Catalano - 2 hours ago

8 by ST63LTH »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you have a prejudice against people who watch ecchi/hentai?

Dragevard - Yesterday

43 by camay1997 »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.