Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 7, 2015 6:23 AM

Apr 2011
-Symph- said:
yhunata said:

How the fuck is it rare? I've seen people weeping for a character that was on screen for 5 goddamn minutes.
Calm down. You should get off the internet for a while.

I am calm. Pointing out how obviously wrong someone is doesn't make me unhinged or something.

-Symph- said:
yhunata said:

Since when did crying to fiction mean you have a good heart?
Good sense of empathy to fictional characters' or real people's situation is a positive trait, a figurative characteristic of a good-hearted person.

Having a sense of empathy doesn't make a person good-hearted and not having one doesn't make one not heartless either.
Jul 7, 2015 6:32 AM

Jul 2015
yhunata said:
-Symph- said:
Good sense of empathy to fictional characters' or real people's situation is a positive trait, a figurative characteristic of a good-hearted person.

Having a sense of empathy doesn't make a person good-hearted and not having one doesn't make one not heartless either.
Of course not. It's just one of the many qualities that makes a good-hearted person.
HimaeriJul 7, 2015 6:43 AM
Jul 7, 2015 6:38 AM

Aug 2012
Feeling sad is ok, but crying? I've never cried to anime because I know it's freaking not real. It's ok if you cry once or twice but not alot.
Jul 7, 2015 6:41 AM

Nov 2012
-Symph- said:
yhunata said:

Of course not. It's just one of the many qualities than makes a good-hearted person.

Without empathy you're literally the definition of a psychopath. Empathy: Empathy is the capacity to understand or feel what another person is experiencing from within the other person's frame of reference, i.e., the capacity to place oneself in another's shoes. Without empathy, you get things like 'fat people are just lazy shitbags'.

Jul 7, 2015 6:44 AM

Aug 2014
Orevataf said:
Without empathy you're literally the definition of a psychopath. Empathy: Empathy is the capacity to understand or feel what another person is experiencing from within the other person's frame of reference, i.e., the capacity to place oneself in another's shoes. Without empathy, you get things like 'fat people are just lazy shitbags'.

Still, you can easily not have empathy for fictional characters, but care for real people and vice versa. I know two big assholes that went all emotional over Anohana.
Jul 7, 2015 6:45 AM

Jul 2015
-Symph- said:
It's okay to cry for fictional characters. It means you have a good sense of empathy and a good heart. It's better having a good heart than being heartless.
I cried watching Angel beats more then i did in fate stay night D;
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2015 6:54 AM

Oct 2012
There's no problem...It's even a good thing... It means you're sensitive enough to empathize with anime characters
Jul 7, 2015 7:01 AM

Nov 2012
Poltergeist18 said:
Orevataf said:

Still, you can easily not have empathy for fictional characters, but care for real people and vice versa. I know two big assholes that went all emotional over Anohana.

Of course, that could be true, however, can you objectively say that you truly know the hearts of those 'two assholes'? It isn't surprising that they might more easily empathize with pure anime characters because they are generally more pure and innocent than real humans which all are more complex and have more faults. Being able to cry for someone, 2D or 3D is a good sign.

Jul 7, 2015 7:13 AM

Apr 2011
Orevataf said:

Well, to be honest, most fat people are lazy shitbags.
Jul 7, 2015 7:20 AM

Nov 2012
yhunata said:
Orevataf said:

And strike you're out.

Jul 7, 2015 7:22 AM

Jul 2013
who gives a fuck really

if you are not willing to feel certain emotions watching anime you'll never enjoy it to the fullest
Jul 7, 2015 7:22 AM

Apr 2011
Orevataf said:
yhunata said:

And strike you're out.

Because "I can't place myself in another's shoes"? When I am one of those fat lazy shitbags myself? Nice logic.
Jul 7, 2015 7:24 AM

Jul 2013
yhunata said:
Orevataf said:

And strike you're out.

Because "I can't place myself in another's shoes"? When I am one of those fat lazy shitbags myself? Nice logic.

wow so sketchy beri smart
Jul 7, 2015 7:29 AM

Nov 2012
yhunata said:
Orevataf said:

And strike you're out.

Person arguing that you can be a good hearted person without empathy whilst calling 'most fat people lazy shitbags'. lol.
OrevatafJul 7, 2015 7:36 AM

Jul 7, 2015 7:49 AM

Apr 2011
Orevataf said:
Person arguing that you can be a good hearted person without empathy whilst calling 'most fat people lazy shitbags'. lol.

yhunata said:
Having a sense of empathy doesn't make a person good-hearted

Twisting my words is something I deeply dislike, so I'd like it if you didn't do that and yes, most fat people are lazy shitbags. Does that make them any less of a person? Of course not. That just means that they're lazy shitbags.
Jul 7, 2015 1:51 PM

Dec 2014
Orevataf said:
How old are your friends OP?

Most are like 14-17
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 8, 2015 2:56 PM

Aug 2011
It's not dumb to cry for anime characters.

If it were dumb to cry for anime characters, it would be dumb to cry for the superheros in those Marvel and DC films.
XarvynJul 8, 2015 4:01 PM
Jul 8, 2015 2:58 PM
Jul 2015
Goku has been responsible for quite a few tears on my end
Jul 8, 2015 3:02 PM

Nov 2008
How could it be dumb? People cry at movies constantly and that's the same thing.

Jul 8, 2015 3:14 PM

Aug 2013
It's entertainment media, and its intention is often to give the viewer a powerful emotional experience. That's what many people are looking for in escapism anyway.

Of course it isn't dumb. People that think otherwise are retards and wretched philistines.
Jul 8, 2015 3:23 PM

Mar 2015
The first time I cried while watching an anime was when I watched 'The Grave of the Fireflies'. I was 10 years old and I don't regret it.

I had another mental breakdown while watching 07 Ghost when Teito sees the reborn Mikage for the first time (I cried a river). But that's another story.

Oh, and the last Hybrid Child OVA killed me.

And yes, I'm a male in my twenties ;D
Jul 8, 2015 3:41 PM

Jun 2009
HigurashiChan said:

Crying is a human emotion. If you are trying to convey to your friends that you are an extraterrestrial being, you may want to stop watching human media first.

Firelilyx said:
Nah man, it just shows that you can feel empathy. So at least you're not a sociopath/psychopath! Congratulations! :D
Jul 8, 2015 3:43 PM

Apr 2015
Yes. Nothing wrong with shedding a few tears.

"Emotion is not weakness, and violence is not strength!"
Jul 8, 2015 3:56 PM

Feb 2014
Yes, better turn in your man card.
Jul 8, 2015 5:13 PM
Jun 2015
Your friends sound like dicks

Its normal to cry for fictional characters (be it anime or tv shows etc.)
Jul 8, 2015 5:15 PM

Jul 2015
lol i would react the same irl and call him a baby BUT thats just some feelings u should keep to yourself. You shoudnt go blabbing how u cry alot u cansay i like the anime it was sad but dont say u cried xD
Jul 8, 2015 5:16 PM

Jul 2015
Not at all. If you cried, that just means the show did its job. It made you feel.
RohaunJul 8, 2015 5:26 PM
Jul 8, 2015 5:18 PM

Feb 2015
It's not dumb, although I've never done it. I guess I'm just heartless lol.
Jul 8, 2015 6:53 PM
Jul 2015
I'm a grown ass man. I cry all the time.
Jul 8, 2015 6:57 PM

May 2015
If you connect with a fictional character where you can relate with them its pretty normal to feel sad, happy, mad or cry for them. that's the beautiful thing about anime
Jul 8, 2015 7:24 PM

Jul 2015
I know people who have cried but I never cried, I think something typical only depends on the person, but they tell me that if I see clannad I cry, just watching to know it.
Jul 8, 2015 7:28 PM

Apr 2015
ofc not!
I'm feelin' normal, I'm feelin' myself ♪♪
Jul 9, 2015 12:37 AM

May 2014
I think there's something wrong if you DONT cry lol. I actually use tears as a basis of whether or not a series gets a 10 from me or not. Sometimes I even go on a feels spree and watch the saddest parts of my favorite series. I still can't watch the end of Code Geass without crying.
Jul 9, 2015 1:59 AM
Jul 2018
Never if it's naruto
Jul 9, 2015 4:06 AM

Jan 2015
I have felt very emotional from some anime. Steins Gate, Code Geass, Mirai Nikki wrecked my heart. But I have never cried from it. There is nothing wrong with crying over it though. It is a sign of empathy. As long as you arent crying over stupid shit like spilled milk.
Jul 9, 2015 4:27 AM

Apr 2014
Probably not, but I've never cired while watching anime so I don't have any saying in this.
Jul 9, 2015 4:34 AM

Jun 2015
I dont think so. I cry really easily when I read/watch something that I find sad.
SIGNATURE BY TAKGUDAEMY ANIME LISTMY MANGA LISTMY TUMBLR
Jul 9, 2015 4:38 AM

Jun 2015
It's okay to cry for anime characters. Crying for real people is what's dumb.
-_-
Jul 9, 2015 4:40 AM

Apr 2014
ychiwho said:
I dont think so. I cry really easily when I read/watch something that I find sad.
#FragileFemaleWithFragileHeart #ThatIsNotMeantToBeSexist #JustThinkThatFragileFemalesWithFragileHeartsAreCuteAndWayBetterThanTheseGirlsThatActLikeTheyOwnThePlace #ToManyHashtags #IHaveToStopNow #MyHandsAreTypingOnTheirOwn #PleaseSomeoneStopMe #HELP #HEL.....
Jul 9, 2015 8:44 AM

Feb 2015
You just honest with yourself, nothing wrong with that. Some people just too egoistic to admit it.
Jul 9, 2015 8:45 AM

Jun 2014
Amerikan said:
I'm a grown ass man. I cry all the time.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jul 9, 2015 10:43 AM

Sep 2013
It's okay to cry guys :'(

Jul 9, 2015 2:11 PM

Jan 2014
No.. It shows that you have an emotional understanding against the morose situation of the anime you currently watch... Thus creating empathy..
Jul 9, 2015 2:21 PM
Jul 2015
Hmmmm...
I can be a pretty emotional guy.
But, I think tears remind you you're alive.
I could be wrong. ^^

Besides, crying about a character in a story means that story or character struck a cord with you.
The more an anime makes me react, the more I appreciate it.
Jul 9, 2015 2:44 PM

Jan 2011
I cry evertim
Jul 9, 2015 4:01 PM

Jun 2014
I do it too and there is nothing wrong with it. It doesn't really matter that they are only fictional characters because if the anime is done well and you like a character you'll get emotionally invested in the them and the good and bad that happens to them will be emotionally provoking. if we couldn't get invested in fictional characters at all we wouldn't be able to enjoy anime nearly as much in the first place and getting invested in them means feeling bad if they die. its why works of fiction are entertaining.
Jul 9, 2015 5:27 PM
Feb 2015
I find it easier to get emotional with anime characters than human actors. Anime's use of tone, music, shading and the fact that they do a lot of inner monologues helps you connect to the character.

Plus, anime isn't Baseball...so cry as much as you want.
Jul 9, 2015 5:33 PM
May 2015
Yeah. If your favorite anime character of all time dies 2/3 in the series, it's perfectly fine to bawl your eyes out and lock yourself in your room for two days, rejecting all contact from the outside world because they don't understand.
Not that that's a specific example or anything.

Yes. Crying for anime characters is perfectly fine and normal.
Jul 9, 2015 5:52 PM

May 2013
I don't see why not. If an Anime doesn't induce at least some kind of emotion in you, whether that be joy, anger, sorrow, etc, then it's clearly doing something wrong.
Jul 10, 2015 1:09 AM

Apr 2015
No it's not. It means you have a heart.
I'm a sucker for strong female characters.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Favorite characters you think are Sadist, Masochist, or Switch

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

7 by IpreferEcchi »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you have any favorite opening or ending animations?

RobertBobert - 46 minutes ago

6 by Zarutaku »»
2 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - 7 hours ago

8 by Zefyris »»
3 minutes ago

» Advertise your favorite anime

Tannenbusch - 8 hours ago

8 by piyowizfoot »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 8 hours ago

17 by Catalano »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.