Forum Settings
Forums

Would you rate a bad anime 1/10 if it had average graphics?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 30, 2015 5:29 AM

Nov 2012
yhunata said:
StandoffishMan said:

I saw this one guy who countered that argument by comparing visuals to the cover of a book, it makes it look nice but the content of the book is what's important, lol.

A book is a literary medium, thus the structure of literature (grammar) is important factually. If visuals of a visual medium truly doesn't matter, what is the point of even animating it (or doing anything with the visuals) in the first place then? It would be cheaper and more effective to simply put out an audio book.

I agree with you.
Jun 30, 2015 5:34 AM

Aug 2014
I don't take more than one point from a show for bad visuals but they can boost my score from about 3-5 points- all depends if I like said visuals. If SAO had more amazing fights but still rubbish characters then it would be at least a 5.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Jun 30, 2015 5:35 AM

Feb 2015
there is no such thing as bad anime, only bad taste
Jun 30, 2015 7:30 AM

Mar 2012
Honestly, I've never given a 1/10 rating to a show with jaw dropping visuals. 1/10 tier shows tend to be all around incompetent messes with almost no redeeming factors. Not to say that all my 1/10 shows look as bad as they're written, but Mirai Nikki isn't exactly Ufotable or KyoAni tier.
Jun 30, 2015 7:31 AM

Jul 2012
yhunata said:
I find it amazing how people can say that the visuals of a visual medium is not important. That's like saying grammar or vocabulary isn't important for books or gameplay isn't important for games.

They're important but artwork isn't as important in anime compared to manga, for me at least.
Jun 30, 2015 7:37 AM

Apr 2011
mayukachan said:
yhunata said:
I find it amazing how people can say that the visuals of a visual medium is not important. That's like saying grammar or vocabulary isn't important for books or gameplay isn't important for games.

They're important but artwork isn't as important in anime compared to manga, for me at least.

Visuals contain more than just artwork.

P.S. That is Miyuki, right?
Jun 30, 2015 7:38 AM

Jul 2012
yhunata said:
mayukachan said:

Oh yes, it does. But this thread was talking about "graphics" only.

Miyuki? You mean my forum set? It's the Meganebu boys
Jun 30, 2015 7:41 AM

Apr 2011
mayukachan said:
yhunata said:

Oh yes, it does. But this thread was talking about "graphics" only.

Miyuki? You mean my forum set? It's the Meganebu boys

Visuals-wise, obviously more important in manga, due to the lack of sound and animation.

Strange, that looks so much like him.
Jun 30, 2015 9:09 AM

May 2015
Imeon said:
Only elitists rate anime 1/10. They have the privilege since :

>they can make better anime than Japanese directors
>write awesome plots than any Japanese authors
>better anime designs than anime artist
>better than VAs since they have better voices.

Making anime is a different skill than reviewing it. Great critics don't necessarily make for great artists.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 30, 2015 9:51 AM

Sep 2007
Only two 1 for 1438 Completed for me. The answer is no since a anime who is a total mess at all possible levels is extremely rare.
Jun 30, 2015 9:56 AM

Apr 2011
TheBrainintheJar said:
Imeon said:
Only elitists rate anime 1/10. They have the privilege since :

>they can make better anime than Japanese directors
>write awesome plots than any Japanese authors
>better anime designs than anime artist
>better than VAs since they have better voices.

Making anime is a different skill than reviewing it. Great critics don't necessarily make for great artists.

learn2sarcasm. I get that it's difficult to figure out in text, but come on. That was obvious as fuck.
Jun 30, 2015 9:59 AM

Apr 2011
Nope, for me, what matters the most is the story.

You won't see even one 4 rating in my list, btw. The lowest rating I could give in an anime is 5.

Jun 30, 2015 6:48 PM

Mar 2015
I would never rate a series 1/10 if it's just unbelivable bad I would only rate a series a 1/10 if she manages to offend me.
Jun 30, 2015 6:54 PM

Jul 2012
yhunata said:
Strange, that looks so much like him.

Yeah it does. lol I like glasses characters :)
Jun 30, 2015 7:08 PM

Jun 2014
What you most likely consider average graphics I consider the worst possible. I love traditionally "shit" and "amazing" graphics.

Watching an anime with a unique art style is always cool. Watching an anime with "average" graphics is the worst because it's utterly completely boring.

If "average" graphics means stuff like Kaze No Stigma and it's already bad in all other aspects then I'd give the anime a 5/F.
Jun 30, 2015 7:08 PM

Apr 2014
RIP Ninja Slayer and Inferno Cop
Jun 30, 2015 8:14 PM

Nov 2012
If people gave a show a 1/10 for objectively poor "graphics" (I'm guessing you mean artwork and animation here), Sword Art Online should be a 1/10. Unfortunately very few people on this forum seems to know what good animation is, and not unfortunately, people on this forum aren't stupid enough to judge something based on animation alone even if they did realise SAO has terrible animation.
Jun 30, 2015 8:24 PM

Feb 2010
If it's a bad anime it's a 4/10 because that's the numerical equivalent of 'bad' on the MAL scale.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 30, 2015 9:15 PM

Jun 2014
it could have the best graphics in the world, but if the anime was that unenjoyable to watch I still might
Jun 30, 2015 9:17 PM

Nov 2014
FireEmblemIke24 said:
Unyilkdr said:
i don't care at all in graphic TBH. as long it watchable.

Jun 30, 2015 10:00 PM
Dec 2013
Graphics? You mean art style, right? Anime isn't a game!

But no, everything else needs to be shitty to get a 1 from me. I remember watching Cheeky Angel a week ago, and the art was terrible, But everything else was enjoyable. At least to me.
Jun 30, 2015 10:16 PM

Oct 2013
If the anime is already awful, and the animation is crap as well, I honestly would give it a low score, but not 1/10.
Jul 1, 2015 7:32 AM

Apr 2013
Rating an anime a "1" is a special case. It means the creator(s), who were so passionate about their creation, either didn't realize their idea was never going to work, was never handled properly, or was just a terrible idea all around. I've rated a small handful of series a "1", but Pupa will always be my shit-caked bottom of the barrel if only because I hated myself for 12 weeks in a row.
Jul 1, 2015 7:53 AM

Apr 2014
No, because good art adds to my overal enjoyment --> higher score.
Jul 1, 2015 8:24 AM

Mar 2015
yhunata said:
you answer it your self. it's medium from the first place, nothing less, nothing more. and your logic is wrong, grammer is content. the medium is paper or electronic. gameplay is content. ps4, pc, or xbox are medium.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jul 1, 2015 8:29 AM

Dec 2013
What the hell 1 obviously stands for I couldn't understand what was going on, 5 is denpa kyoushi level 10 is katanagatari, tatami. It's not hard.

Mar 2012
bad or average graphics wouldn't affect my score so if it's a shit anime with average graphics it's still 1/10

godlike artwork (read: hot girls) could increase the score significantly however even if it's a bad anime

Apr 2011
Unyilkdr said:
yhunata said:
you answer it your self. it's medium from the first place, nothing less, nothing more. and your logic is wrong, grammer is content. the medium is paper or electronic. gameplay is content. ps4, pc, or xbox are medium.

Well, visuals are also content or is there something that somehow magically makes them into something that's not content? Games are interactive mediums, thus gameplay is content while the consoles/computer are the medium. In that case, why does the visuals of a visual medium become a medium when it is viewed through a computer or a TV?
Jul 1, 2015 8:43 AM

Mar 2015
yhunata said:
Unyilkdr said:
Well, visuals are also content or is there something that somehow magically makes them into something that's not content? Games are interactive mediums, thus gameplay is content while the consoles/computer are the medium. In that case, why does the visuals of a visual medium become a medium when it is viewed through a computer or a TV?
medium in here are mean "HOW". not "WHY". visual (animation, artstyle, coreographic), sound (VA, OST, effect, and background thames) are part of what build an anime it self. the content is story, dialogue and character. if book, what make it book can be discribe as book? that's meduim. and medium don't have any effect in story (yes it effect in enjoyment and ratings). honestly, i dont have any problem with people that gloryfying visual, the problem is when people thinking visual have effect in story. "ping pong art is bad, it's anime is bad" it same like saying people "he is ugly, he is bad guy". that's why i never take people gloryfying artstyle or animation seriously. for me, as long it watchable, i don't have any problem with it.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jul 1, 2015 9:08 AM

Jul 2013
It is possible for example "Aku no Hana", I did not even attempt to watch it since it look FUCKING AWFUL. The creepy smile and ...............list goes on
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 1, 2015 1:22 PM

Apr 2011
Unyilkdr said:
medium in here are mean "HOW". not "WHY". visual (animation, artstyle, coreographic), sound (VA, OST, effect, and background thames) are part of what build an anime it self. the content is story, dialogue and character. if book, what make it book can be discribe as book? that's meduim. and medium don't have any effect in story (yes it effect in enjoyment and ratings). honestly, i dont have any problem with people that gloryfying visual, the problem is when people thinking visual have effect in story. "ping pong art is bad, it's anime is bad" it same like saying people "he is ugly, he is bad guy". that's why i never take people gloryfying artstyle or animation seriously. for me, as long it watchable, i don't have any problem with it.

You're not making any sense. Visuals and sounds are both part of what makes an anime, along with story, dialogue and character. That makes it content, there is no other way around it. If visuals are simply a build of an anime, then grammar too is simply a build of a book. It's saying "This book has a great story and good characters, but the grammar sucks," not "This book has bad grammar. That makes it amazing story and characters moot," and no, I'm not saying bad visuals mean a bad anime. I'm saying that it is just as important as anything else as to what makes a bad anime and you said it yourself, "as long as it's watchable"... meaning that you do, in fact, take visuals as important. If visuals and sounds didn't matter for an anime, there'd be no difference if it were a book instead. Would be easier on the eyes (my eyes are weak to light) and I can take my sweet time with it.
Jul 1, 2015 5:27 PM

Feb 2015
Rating an anime 1/10 is, in my opinion, very rare because it has to be complete garbage.
Jul 1, 2015 5:36 PM

Mar 2014
I gave one anime a 1/10 for everything all around, including graphics.
Jul 1, 2015 6:02 PM
Jul 2018
_Charl said:
1/10 is for haters.

Also, I take into account more than just graphics. I have seen plenty of anime with average graphics that are phenomenal
Jul 1, 2015 7:22 PM

May 2015
If asked for the plot I'de vote 1-10.
Then for the Art its really a different subject of question.
And that's why we have awards for movies such as for Best Original Story, Best Production Design, Best Visual Effects and so on.
Get my point guys?
Jul 1, 2015 10:26 PM

Mar 2015
yhunata said:
You're not making any sense. Visuals and sounds are both part of what makes an anime, along with story, dialogue and character. That makes it content, there is no other way around it. If visuals are simply a build of an anime, then grammar too is simply a build of a book. It's saying "This book has a great story and good characters, but the grammar sucks," not "This book has bad grammar. That makes it amazing story and characters moot," and no, I'm not saying bad visuals mean a bad anime. I'm saying that it is just as important as anything else as to what makes a bad anime and you said it yourself, "as long as it's watchable"... meaning that you do, in fact, take visuals as important. If visuals and sounds didn't matter for an anime, there'd be no difference if it were a book instead. Would be easier on the eyes (my eyes are weak to light) and I can take my sweet time with it.
how you can understand a story is grammer is bad? it's same like how you can understand a drama, when dialogue is bad? for me,yes, animation is important. but it still medium. just need separate them from content. ok, simple example. my friend(author) sent letter(story) to me. i don't care mail company(manga/anime company) will using truck(manga) or plane(anime) or ship(VN) or another. as long their letter(story) can come to me perfectly, i am fine. faster they sent(more high quality they made), of course give more pleasure. but if they(manga/anime company) need 1 year to do it, of course it's problem. there is still tolerable limit. that's how animation works for me.
Jul 1, 2015 11:39 PM

Apr 2013
The art/quality is usually not all that big of a factor. Ping Pong had a very unique style that many people didn't really like, didn't stop it from being one of the best anime of the year.
Jul 1, 2015 11:46 PM

Dec 2012
I frankly need to work on my numerical rating system.

As it stands, anything I deem worthy enough to watch but not rewatch is a 7.
8 is fantastic, 9 is borderline masterpiece. 10 is near flawless (which I have not given).
6 is slightly above average, 5 is slightly below average or average.

Everything below 5 I have difficulty using. 1's are for anime that are just unfathomably bad; the lowest score I've given is a 3 to Gantz for pissing me off with how tasteless and poorly paced the "plot" was. I haven't even given a 4 or 2.

So, I haven't used 10, 4, 2, or 1.

I expect not using 10 or 1, but the fact I don't use 2 or 4 makes me worry that my system isn't that good.

But then again, I also blame MAL for not allowing a decimal rating system so I could be more precise.
How do people get to 2000 hours when I'm already this bored?
Jul 2, 2015 5:05 AM

Aug 2014
Maybe give it a 2 or 3 instead depending on how good the art/graphics were but nothing more.
Jul 2, 2015 5:25 AM

Jan 2015
1/10 is an extremely low rating only meant for shows that fail in every aspect. It is pretty damn hard for something to fail that bad, so there are hardly any situations where I would give a show such a low rating. 1/10 ratings are mostly used by rabid haters or people with extremely harsh rating scales. Art and music are both aspects I rate, they dont have a huge impact but i do count it. I absolutely hated Diabolik Lovers, but I did give it a 2/10 purely for its art quality and its music and voiceacting,
Jul 2, 2015 5:29 AM

Sep 2014
LionCake said:
1/10 is an extremely low rating only meant for shows that fail in every aspect. It is pretty damn hard for something to fail that bad, so there are hardly any situations where I would give a show such a low rating. 1/10 ratings are mostly used by rabid haters or people with extremely harsh rating scales. Art and music are both aspects I rate, they dont have a huge impact but i do count it. I absolutely hated Diabolik Lovers, but I did give it a 2/10 purely for its art quality and its music and voiceacting,

I don't think my rating system is harsh, I'm not a hater either, but if something was 'appaling' then I rate it accordignly - with a 1. Has happened only a few times so far, but still.
Jul 2, 2015 5:35 AM

Jan 2015
Imaishi said:
LionCake said:

I don't think my rating system is harsh, I'm not a hater either, but if something was 'appaling' then I rate it accordignly - with a 1. Has happened only a few times so far, but still.

I dont really disagree with any of your ratings but Tokyo Ghoul. Atleast give that a 2 or 3.
Jul 2, 2015 5:47 AM

Sep 2014
LionCake said:
Imaishi said:

I dont really disagree with any of your ratings but Tokyo Ghoul. Atleast give that a 2 or 3.

Why is that? You haven't even watched it so any reason to say this?
Jul 2, 2015 5:50 AM

Apr 2011
_Charl said:
1/10 is for haters.

Graphics is important for visual media, but graphics is not everything. Though if Mars of Destruction had the graphics of Aku no Hana, now that would be 1/10.
Jul 2, 2015 6:12 AM

Jan 2015
Imaishi said:
LionCake said:

I know enough about it to say it has some redeeming qualities.
Jul 2, 2015 6:18 AM

Sep 2014
LionCake said:
Imaishi said:

I know enough about it to say it has some redeeming qualities.

Redeeming for someone doesn't make it redeeming for others. There was like 1 thing I liked about the anime - and that was a character I found to be hot (Touka). Other than that, I absolutely hated the watch.

But that's beside the point anyway. 10/10 doesn't mean flawless, so 1/10 doesn't equal zero quality either.
Jul 2, 2015 6:22 AM

Nov 2014
Usually no. Scores of about 3-4 are already really bad because I inflate my ratings a little higher to avoid looking insane on MAL.

Special circumstances though, certainly. Usually something that attempts something to happen, but utterly fail to do so. Or if it is just plain pointless.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jul 2, 2015 6:48 AM

May 2015
Unyilkdr said:
yhunata said:
how you can understand a story is grammer is bad? it's same like how you can understand a drama, when dialogue is bad? for me,yes, animation is important. but it still medium. just need separate them from content. ok, simple example. my friend(author) sent letter(story) to me. i don't care mail company(manga/anime company) will using truck(manga) or plane(anime) or ship(VN) or another. as long their letter(story) can come to me perfectly, i am fine. faster they sent(more high quality they made), of course give more pleasure. but if they(manga/anime company) need 1 year to do it, of course it's problem. there is still tolerable limit. that's how animation works for me.

Let's get our definitions straight. From wiktionary:

"​(plural media or mediums) A format for communicating or presenting information"

Animation is the way the information is presented. The creators choose to present this story - NGE or Attack on Titan or Mushishi or Inferno Cop via animated TV series. This is your medium.

What the creators decide to draw is content, which means that the art style is content. It affects the story.

Look at Mushishi and Galaxy Angel. Mushishi's main character looks somber, serious with just white hair and not a lot of color. Galaxy Angel has 5 girls with colorful hair. This is to tell you how the story works - one wants to be philosophical an deep. The other wants to be silly and fun.

How a story is told is just as important as the story itself. It's how it's told that we get it, anyway. A good story can't survive shitty writing. A good story with terrible animation that doesn't tell you nothing about the characters can't reach the surface.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jul 2, 2015 6:59 AM

May 2012
I don't care that much about graphics. Almost all modern anime have good graphics. I have heard people saying that sailor moon crystal had bad animation or whatever, but it did not have have any impact on my enjoyment.

Story, action, characters, enjoyment have much bigger impact on my rating. I would give a boring slice of life anime a low rating even if has better visual than fate/stay night UBW
Jul 3, 2015 2:26 AM

May 2015
Beside if the animation studio is at its peak for making high end graphics. Why would they take on a Animating job that has a crappy plot, actress etc.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - Apr 27

46 by APolygons2 »»
5 minutes ago

» 🌹 Anime Questionnaire 2024 🌹 ( 1 2 3 )

Shizuna - May 16

119 by vegeta8639 »»
10 minutes ago

» Write your takes in anime and I'll prove you're incorrect.

Gashadokur0 - 4 hours ago

33 by Toooooooooohru »»
13 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 4 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

153 by FFandMMfan »»
23 minutes ago

Poll: » What type of manga -> anime adaptation do you prefer

Ventus_S - May 17

29 by Vendicator »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.