Forum Settings
Forums

Anime fans have inferiority complex (are jealous?)

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 18, 2015 9:03 AM

Aug 2014
Dark_Chaos said:
Poltergeist18 said:

Enjoyment isn't really something constant, and neither is critical thinking because it changes over time. It's like when you get a new toy. It feels fresh and fun for the first few times, but it becomes a bit stale over time.
You can still enjoy playing with it at least a bit, but it just isn't the same as the first go.

And with that said, you start to notice flaws in the show you watch when enjoyment becomes lesser. I highly doubt anyone wants to appear professional by rating an anime based on the objective aspects. Even when you talk about objective aspects, stuff like music and art still depend on your personal preferences, you know... Probably not only that...

The thing is, a score lessens with the passing of time and the rise of critical thinking or better to say, giving points about a series beyond the enjoyment. You still can't escape subjectiveness, but it's not like it's wrong to find flaws in stuff if you back it up with more articulated thoughts on it.

Gotta think up more shit to back this up...

I'm not quite sure how this has any relevance to my post :S

Hmm, you said you found it silly rating on "objective" stuff and writing reviews around it, didn't you? Don't really see how it isn't relevant, it's not really that silly since enjoyment wears out like running shoes from a shit ton of running. Why not rate on something besides it, then?
Jun 18, 2015 9:04 AM

Jan 2014
tsudecimo said:
Zeus4President said:
Wrong. There is certain standards in professional criticism when it comes to movies, theater, music and anime. Plot depth, animation quality, sound quality, character development are not subjective things. They are all objective and easy to critique at an objective level; by professionals.

The people that say Bebop is crap critically simply do not know how to objectively critique. They just state their feelings towards the anime, which of course is correct to do, but they express it in a wrong way.

Oh good lord, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Orinsurs said:
]A) Objective writing
B) Objective animation
C) Not everything is subjective

let's debunk one at a time, but first establish what objective means or people will get confused.

Objective means "inherent of the Object".

Let's take a object: Water.

Water above 0°C on normal pressure is liquid. It's the inherent property of water.
Water below 0°C on normal pressure is solid. Everyone can test this, just pick up a piece of ice, it is solid.
Water above 100°C is gas. People everywhere can test these things. There are no interpretations or opinions needed on this.

These are inherent objective properties of water.

Subjective means what a Subject (aka a MIND) interprets into these objective facts.

"Icewater is good because you can ice skate on it" Is an subjective interpretation of an objective fact.
Yes it is objectivity right that you can ice skate on solid water. but whether that is a good or bad thing is subjective, a mind created the value, or the subjective property of "goodness" for the solid water.

Values are by definition subjective. So whatever purpose you see in an objective is always a subjective interpretation.

The only way you can make values objective is within a framework, with a predefined purpose.

Poison is by definition just poisonous, neither good or bad.

Drinking poison therefor has no objective meaning. It will simply kill you. That is an objective fact.

A person who wants to live (subjective framework = staying alive) is doing a mistake by drinking deadly poison.
Hence, poison is bad.

A person who wants to die (subjective framework = being dead) is doing the right thing by drinking deadly poison.
Hence, poison is good.

Let's apply this method to reviewing.

"Objective" good writing.

It is true that humanity came up with ways to tell a story and that our brain reacts to certain stimuli better than to others. But let's not forget every brain (mind) is different and has different values.
We already see the framework.
Mind
Values
Subjective things.
Humans are by definition subjective when they judge. Depending on your culture, upbringing, education and personal experiences your value will be different to that of another person.
That means there must be a form of writing that applies to all brains equally, like we can all identify liquid water and solid water.

But that's not the case because the writing of a story is not objective. There are parts of it that are objective, but whether our subjective brains are stimulated by them or not can not be guarantied.

However long humanity defined the way they tell stories, in the end it is just as subjective as taste in music, or art.

Only under a framework we can talk about objectivity.
A Hentai without sex is clearly a bad hentai because it defies it's own definition (framework).

A show that aims to have no fanservice and yet offers plenty of nipple scenes and boobgrabs fails and thus defied it's own framework and hence is objectively bad.
Yet fanservice in it self is neither good or bad.

So are stories.
A) has plotholes
B) offers no clear ending
C) is slow

These are all objective facts, but how you interpret them is dependent not only on the given framework, but also on your values.
Since all these frameworks are equally valid because no one can prove their objective purpose it's a matter of personal taste what you like and what not.

Objective Animation Quality

One might question if not animation can be stated in facts.
No it cannot, for the same reason. There is always a subjective framework.
We might see mistakes, or see how one show makes it more fluid, or more correct. But those things are all based on the assumption that there is an objective purpose.

Yes under that framework animation quality can be good or bad, and we all use it. But since we gain new information every time our standards change.
A kid who only watched pokemon might think this is totally fine, while someone who watched GitS thinks it's the worst shit ever (in animation).

Our minds are by definition subjective, thus whatever we judge is only as valid as the information we had at that given time. It is limited and not complete, it relies on preconceived notions on how things ought to be. All artificial rules created by humanity.

If reviews are objective then the purpose of Mountains is to climb them, because that's what people do.

Just because fact A is true (you can climb mountains) you cannot say "therefor B is the right thing" (mountains are for climbing).

tl;dr

You cannot derive and IS from an OUGHT.

How anime is supposed to be is based on the individual giving the framework in which the medium is judged.
Every human being has a different framework thus, every judgement is inherently different => subjective.
Things are just.
We give them value based on our subjective minds that seek meaning.

Things that come from a mind are subjective, because a SUBJECT is projecting them onto objects.
Like Values, Meaning, Purpose and Morals.
The premise of your entire argument is wrong though. There's a difference between something being objective and giving an objective critical opinion.

An objective critical opinion is as per definition not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion. 6. intent upon or dealing with things external to the mind rather than with thoughts or feelings, as a person or a book.

Based on that I can say certain anime which you or I might have not enjoyed are objectively good/great anime perhaps even better, again, objectively, than our favorites. However my entire point is that we, as anime fans, should never take such things into consideration because our opinions HAVE to be subjective.
I love my gurlz
Jun 18, 2015 9:04 AM

Aug 2014
Apparently the older the anime you watch, the more OG you are. Don't know how it works, but it's the same with manga readers vs anime watchers.

Jun 18, 2015 9:05 AM

Jan 2014
justvincexd said:
Apparently the older the anime you watch, the more OG you are. Don't know how it works, but it's the same with manga readers vs anime watchers.
It's the same everywhere really. Music, movies, tv shows, sports, whatever. The older something is the more elitist fans it will have lel
I love my gurlz
Jun 18, 2015 9:08 AM

Feb 2013
Zeus4President said:
justvincexd said:
It's the same everywhere really. Music, movies, tv shows, sports, whatever. The older something is the more elitist fans it will have lel
it's starting to sound like a zetsubou sensei skit
human zoo fans are the elitest of the elite of elitist
Jun 18, 2015 9:10 AM

Mar 2008
Jun 18, 2015 9:11 AM

Aug 2014
Despair! This thread going nowhere fast has left me in despair!
Jun 18, 2015 9:17 AM

May 2013
Poltergeist18 said:
Dark_Chaos said:

I'm not quite sure how this has any relevance to my post :S

Hmm, you said you found it silly rating on "objective" stuff and writing reviews around it, didn't you? Don't really see how it isn't relevant, it's not really that silly since enjoyment wears out like running shoes from a shit ton of running. Why not rate on something besides it, then?

Yes, tastes change over time. That is common knowledge. However, I fail to see how it changes anything :S
Jun 18, 2015 9:32 AM

Aug 2014

Hmm, dammit, wish my thoughts were clearer. Let's try this that I came up with at the moment of writing. Enjoyment hangs a lot on the spur of the moment and when losing its steam, you come to see the how and why behind it. Why you didn't like/enjoy something and why you did enjoy something and that will also change with lesser enjoyment, making you more harsh along the way and shit.

Enjoyment is "WOOHOO, FUN SHIT, THIS AND THAT, YEAH", but objective stuff that aren't all that objective is the how and why behind it if you articulate your thoughts well, which comes with the passage of time and experience that comes from watching.
There is nothing in there that seems like "oh, I'm gonna be a tryhard critic acting all professional" behind it.
If I didn't make myself clear and made a fool out of myself again... Well, I just gotta keep coming back to fix that, lol.
Poltergeist18Jun 18, 2015 9:36 AM
Jun 18, 2015 9:47 AM

May 2013
Poltergeist18 said:

Hmm, dammit, wish my thoughts were clearer. Let's try this that I came up with at the moment of writing. Enjoyment hangs a lot on the spur of the moment and when losing its steam, you come to see the how and why behind it. Why you didn't like/enjoy something and why you did enjoy something and that will also change with lesser enjoyment, making you more harsh along the way and shit.

Enjoyment is "WOOHOO, FUN SHIT, THIS AND THAT, YEAH", but objective stuff that aren't all that objective is the how and why behind it if you articulate your thoughts well, which comes with the passage of time and experience that comes from watching.
There is nothing in there that seems like "oh, I'm gonna be a tryhard critic acting all professional" behind it.
If I didn't make myself clear and made a fool out of myself again... Well, I just gotta keep coming back to fix that, lol.

So you don't like reviewing something based on enjoyment and feelings because they change? Why? What's wrong with change?
Jun 18, 2015 9:55 AM

Aug 2014

Nothing is really wrong with change, the thing is...
Feelings and enjoyment don't change for the better. They don't progress, they regress. Everything loses its charm over time like a new toy you overplayed with, feelings get dragged around because there exist emotionally manipulative stuff and also wear out in the end.
Articulating your thoughts on something can always progress if you enchance your experience with any medium.
Jun 18, 2015 10:05 AM

Aug 2014
Math-chan said:
I think you're mixing up too many things there. Correlation does not imply causality.

I think I'd just focus on enjoying what I enjoy, getting criticized for anything is part of life and it's not like I've a responsibility to attend by paying attention to the load of times I've been called shit for my taste. Watching "good" or "shit" anime doesn't bother anyone else but myself, and no one else should give a fuck about it.

Getting criticized is part of life and yeah, I'm open to it. There are surely tons of flaws in my way of thinking, but heck, the more I go on, the more I am aware that I'll surely mix up stuff and contradict myself so I have no problem with it.

People will still give fucks about the whole "shit" and "good" thing, tho...
Jun 18, 2015 10:06 AM

Dec 2012
Zeus4President said:
The premise of your entire argument is wrong though. There's a difference between something being objective and giving an objective critical opinion.

An objective critical opinion is as per definition not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion. 6. intent upon or dealing with things external to the mind rather than with thoughts or feelings, as a person or a book.

Based on that I can say certain anime which you or I might have not enjoyed are objectively good/great anime perhaps even better, again, objectively, than our favorites. However my entire point is that we, as anime fans, should never take such things into consideration because our opinions HAVE to be subjective.

Wrong again. Critics or not, nobody is objective, there is uncontrolable bias in everyone.

And most importantly those things and standards you mentioned are not based on facts. Not everybody can agree on what makes a character good, or whether or not a particular development is good, they can agree that good characters are a good thing, but they don't agree on what makes a character good, or what is the most important aspect, etc. It's not a science, it's just thoughts and opinions, with varying degrees of validity, and evidence. There are thing that are agreed by the majority to be good writing a.k.a standards of quality, but the specifics and levels of importance and relevance from a series to another isn't.

An ''objective opinion'' is an oxymoron.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=660595&show=100#msg26614027

Also the notion that personal enjoyment, and quality of writing are mutually exclusive things, is dumb. I enjoy something because I think it's good

It only true, to stupid terms like guilty pleasure (your harem examples)
Jun 18, 2015 10:10 AM

May 2013
Poltergeist18 said:

Feelings and enjoyment don't change for the better. They don't progress, they regress. Everything loses its charm over time like a new toy you overplayed with, feelings get dragged around because there exist emotionally manipulative stuff and also wear out in the end.
Articulating your thoughts on something can always progress if you enchance your experience with any medium.

I understand what you are trying to say, I just don't necessarily agree with it, so I think I'll take my leave here. Interesting perspective you have there though.
Jun 18, 2015 10:13 AM

Aug 2014
Dark_Chaos said:
Poltergeist18 said:

I understand what you are trying to say, I just don't necessarily agree with it, so I think I'll take my leave here. Interesting perspective you have there though.

No problem with you disagreeing, I'm just glad you get my point of view on everything, as strange and surely flawed it may seem. :)
Jun 18, 2015 11:25 AM

Aug 2014
I finished LoGH couple of days ago, and anyone who says its an arbiter of enlightenment means they must have not paid attention that much in their history classes before, or their history teacher keeps teaching the subject of history in a very methodical yet conventional and orthodox manner.

History isn't supposed to make us memorize the past alone, it's real merits are that we are being introduced into juncture points in historical timeline, appreciating that it's not a linear progression of events, and because we can easily determine the turning points that we can put anything into context accordingly, thus we can tread the path of future, better and safer.

I don't know why MAL elitism considers LoGH as an intelligent series. It should be more preferable if they correlate LoGH with praxis or practicality, but indirectly saying history is an intelligent topic or a fountain of wisdom, comes the matter realizing and understanding that an intelligent series may or may not require a flawless execution of wartime strategies and high-level maneuverism to display its merits.

Though, I really enjoyed LoGH since what I could ask more, history + philosophy? :D
Jun 18, 2015 12:20 PM

May 2015
Zeus4President said:
tsudecimo said:

Oh good lord, you have no idea what you are talking about.

What good is this 'objective' thinking?

Art is the sharing of experience. Every piece of art is, in a way, a showcase for how the creators view the world.

So is reviewing. It's a response to the ideas present in the piece. Your response is based only on your subjective experience. What you know or don't know about the artform, life experience that influences how you view the subject matter.

Art does not deal with objective truths, like whether the sun spins around the earth or the opposite. Art deals with the subjective reality - how we experience the world.

It doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss it or write reviews. Because it's all subjective is why we should discuss it all - to share experience and hopefully better understand ourselves.

Or just pwn people on message boards?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 18, 2015 12:23 PM

Aug 2014

Pwning is fun.
But seriously, nice little inspirational speech to promote discussion.
Jun 18, 2015 12:37 PM

Aug 2014
woah I didn't notice there is an outburst in here. Sorry for butting in-between.
Jun 18, 2015 1:19 PM

Mar 2014
TakeruChan said:
Lotgh fans are the worst.
You have yet to meet the gore edgelords my friend
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jun 18, 2015 1:27 PM

Jun 2014
Orinsurs said:
A kid who only watched pokemon might think this is totally fine, while someone who watched GitS thinks it's the worst shit ever (in animation).

There is something really off with this.
My mother can like the scribbles I drew when I was a kid more than some architeral diagram maybe because of bias or something like that but she can't say they are better drawn, that'd just be false, objectively.

Anyway, although I majorly agree with the general point he's making, I disagree with like 50% of what he said but that's more because we use fundamentally different definitions.
Jun 18, 2015 1:42 PM

Nov 2012
Agafin said:
Orinsurs said:

There is something really off with this.
My mother can like the scribbles I drew when I was a kid more than some architeral diagram maybe because of bias or something like that but she can't say they are better drawn, that'd just be false, objectively.

Anyway, although I majorly agree with the general point he's making, I disagree with like 50% of what he said but that's more because we use fundamentally different definitions.

"A kid who only watched pokemon (level of animation) might think this is totally fine, while someone who watched GitS thinks it's (referring to Pokemon) the worst shit ever (in animation)."

I think that's what the writer of that post was trying to say. At least that's how I interpreted it.
Jun 19, 2015 3:14 AM

Apr 2015
People like to start a fire.
#CHEXIT
Jun 19, 2015 4:32 AM

Jan 2015
Imeon said:
our primitive ancestors changed the course of history coz of teh discovery of fire
dunno if this will change the course of history also
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jun 19, 2015 4:33 AM
Jul 2018
Deus-Vult said:
Imeon said:
our primitive ancestors changed the course of history oz of teh discovery of fire

Ouf course,it will ignite the flames of war.
Jun 19, 2015 4:50 AM

Nov 2014
DejWo said:
Deus-Vult said:
our primitive ancestors changed the course of history oz of teh discovery of fire

War, war never changes.
Jun 19, 2015 5:56 AM

May 2015
Hulohot said:
DejWo said:

War, war never changes.

I'm waiting for one side to be compared to Nazis.

How come this hasn't happened yet?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» World Masterpiece Theater are hidden gems.

Zhenro - 2 hours ago

8 by Dizzy-san »»
1 minute ago

» Do we need more 30 year old waifus?

Catalano - Today

26 by traed »»
2 minutes ago

» Does seinen anime focus on other things besides ultra manliness?

fallout45 - 7 hours ago

27 by Nirinbo »»
3 minutes ago

» How can you spend time with your waifu if she's in the entertainment business?

Catalano - 8 hours ago

10 by DesuMaiden »»
42 minutes ago

» Your favorite anime OP

Goblingaming - Yesterday

40 by GoddessLove »»
44 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.