Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 9, 2015 1:15 PM
Sep 2014
This may or may not be significant to others, but I often notice that phrases like "you're a man, aren't you," are often used within anime. Even more than that, I hear a lot of stuff relating to masculinity and femininity. Should a man always be excessively strong and bulky, eat a lot, be assertive, and "man up?" Should a female always be passive, weak, wear frilly clothing, and be domineered over by men? What are you thoughts?

Opinion:
I don't find it offensive to the point where I stop watching the animation, but I really wonder if it's okay to place gender roles on individuals, who are and will be, inherently different, despite sexual orientation. I would be happy to see, in the years to come, more animations that break patriarchal beliefs and social norms, and even further, but slightly unrelated, challenge society to push for egalitarianism among all walks of life.

Edit: Nisekoi is one of those anime that heavily utilize "gender roles." (I did thoroughly enjoy this anime, but I was bothered quite a bit)
Edit:
I'm not complaining, read the question.
Many of you are accusing me of ad novum, which is wrong because I am clearly taking a humanist stance that isn't novel, as female rights began to gain momentum during the civil rights movement.
I've noticed appeal to tradition as in "this is how Japan has always done it, don't try to change it and don't stand in solidarity with those that want to change it."
Again, the argument "anime is fictitious, it's not real." <-- This is, by far, the most uneducated argument I have ever heard. I will leave my beliefs in absurdism and existentialism out of this though. Anime can be just like a barbie doll and media cherrypicking of statistics. On top of that, pseudo left and sociallyconservative individuals like to use this argument - racism is a rare case and they will condemn any openly racist person and say racism is fictitious and is no longer real. Okay, sure, a majority of people aren't openly KKK members and many don't harbor resentments to people of color, BUT what about the possessive investment in whiteness and institutionalized racism?
Edit: THIS IS NOT A CONDEMNATION OF ALL ANIME.
I understand that it's about choosing what shows you watch and I completely agree. American shows are the same. Film is the same. I choose not to watch a majority of Hollywood films because they exploit everything to make capital. A recent example is the exploitation of emotions, using Paul Walker's death to make millions and millions. Hollywood is just recycled garbage anyways, which could be said about mainstream anime also, but it's what people like, so it will always be reproduced.I guess I was wrong to share my opinion, but this post is really just for those who watch anime to begin to take the time and effort to recognize and think about different things and how they may or may not affect you/others.
HighKeyWeebAug 19, 2015 5:18 PM
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 9, 2015 1:16 PM

Aug 2014
Japan culture stuff. Gender roles are still heavily enforced in their society. Unless you are Japanese, then it isn't your responsibility.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Jun 9, 2015 1:22 PM

Feb 2015
Well people don't complain about Asuka in Eva but complain about Shinji when she gets just as "annoying" as him which annoys me, as the reason they don't it seems is cause she is a female and it's okay for her to be like that but it isn't for Shinji, according to a lot of people.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 9, 2015 1:25 PM
Sep 2014
black1blade said:
Japan culture stuff. Gender roles are still heavily enforced in their society. Unless you are Japanese, then it isn't your responsibility.

I'm a Korean-American, so I hold interest in East Asia and western civilization. Is it not everybody's responsibility, as a single species, to challenge these beliefs? I mean, patriarchal beliefs are still a huge problem here in the United States. The only difference is that here it's a lot more subtle and systematically institutionalized, like racism. I don't know, maybe I am wrong, but showing support and questioning the workings of my own community goes hand in hand with showings support and questioning the workings of other societies, in order to discover an optimal, humanist society.
Jun 9, 2015 1:30 PM

Sep 2013
Men are better than women in everything but child birth, so women should do their roles and support men in their endeavors.
Jun 9, 2015 1:32 PM

Apr 2011
I generally think thatf that type of stuff speaks for the character that said that type of stuff, rather than the society... unless it's a moral message that's the "this is what you should have learned now that the episode is over"
Jun 9, 2015 1:35 PM
Sep 2014
ichii_1 said:
Men are better than women in everything but child birth, so women should do their roles and support men in their endeavors.

That is quite the typical view of a right-wing American.
Jun 9, 2015 1:36 PM

Aug 2014
arthurhahm said:
black1blade said:

I'm a Korean-American, so I hold interest in East Asia and western civilization. Is it not everybody's responsibility, as a single species, to challenge these beliefs? I mean, patriarchal beliefs are still a huge problem here in the United States. The only difference is that here it's a lot more subtle and systematically institutionalized, like racism. I don't know, maybe I am wrong, but showing support and questioning the workings of my own community goes hand in hand with showings support and questioning the workings of other societies, in order to discover an optimal, humanist society.

Complaining about it isn't the way though. As you say, there are problems in America so maybe you should focus on talking about that compared to Japan. I guess it is important to question it but I don't think it should be used to demean anime in any way. A lot of old films have loads of racism but they are still classics.

Jun 9, 2015 1:38 PM

Aug 2014
arthurhahm said:
ichii_1 said:

That is quite the typical view of a right-wing American.

A.K.A an idiot's view. I don't think females think they are inferior so at least 50% of the human race will always disagree with you.

Jun 9, 2015 1:41 PM

Feb 2015
It's prevalent in Western shows too. In Breaking Bad, Gus explains to Walter that it's a man's responsibility to provide for his family. That's just one example but gender roles are often reinforced in different media.
Jun 9, 2015 1:55 PM
Sep 2014
black1blade said:
arthurhahm said:

Complaining about it isn't the way though. As you say, there are problems in America so maybe you should focus on talking about that compared to Japan. I guess it is important to question it but I don't think it should be used to demean anime in any way. A lot of old films have loads of racism but they are still classics.

I think you're misunderstanding!
I understand that America, in my most humble opinion, is FUCKED up. I understand that our foreign policy is screwed up. I understand the oppression within modern society. I understand all these things; the wage gap, inequality, the inherent problems of capitalism.
Don't get me wrong, western mainstream film (Hollywood), has formulated some of the most insidious and disgusting films I have seen and our media is completely corrupt (with most all mainstream media being owned by big wig corporate pigs).
And in no way am I demeaning anime as a whole.
Just like I won't say that every book is evil because Bill O'Reilly wrote one. But I don't want to leave my focus on just the United States. I want to see the world and understand different societies and their influences. I believe its important to show solidarity with the people in other countries and communities. Of course, I won't be actively participating, but I can show my support and lend a hand and a word or two. Just as I will show solidarity with Chinese, Chicano, and Brazilian protesters and students, I will share it with Japan's.
Jun 9, 2015 1:55 PM

Jul 2011
Lol, this it's gold.
Jun 9, 2015 1:59 PM

Feb 2015
Men should be weaker and more fragile so I can turn them into my personal masochists.
:::|| ---A N I M E L I S T--- || ---M A N G A L I S T--- || ---S I G N A T U R E S--- || ---C A R D S--- ||:::
Jun 9, 2015 2:00 PM

Mar 2015
arthurhahm said:
This may or may not be significant to others, but I often notice that phrases like "you're a man, aren't you," are often used within anime. Even more than that, I hear a lot of stuff relating to masculinity and femininity. Should a man always be excessively strong and bulky, eat a lot, be assertive, and "man up?" Should a female always be passive, weak, wear frilly clothing, and be domineered over by men? What are you thoughts?

A lot of anime isn't like this. You've just gotta seek it out.

But I definitely share your views on this.

Aug 2014
arthurhahm said:
black1blade said:

I understand that America, in my most humble opinion, is FUCKED up. I understand that our foreign policy is screwed up. I understand the oppression within modern society. I understand all these things; the wage gap, inequality, the inherent problems of capitalism.
Don't get me wrong, western mainstream film (Hollywood), has formulated some of the most insidious and disgusting films I have seen and our media is completely corrupt (with most all mainstream media being owned by big wig corporate pigs).
Just like I won't say that every book is evil because Bill O'Reilly wrote one. But I don't want to leave my focus on just the United States. I want to see the world and understand different societies and their influences. I believe its important to show solidarity with the people in other countries and communities. Of course, I won't be actively participating, but I can show my support and lend a hand and a word or two. Just as I will show solidarity with Chinese, Chicano, and Brazilian protesters and students, I will share it with Japan's.

Oh okay then. If your actually doing shit that's fine but complaining can get kinda annoying. The world is pretty fucked up.

Mar 2013
anime isn't real life, or anything close to it. Stop forcing your social views onto the show and just enjoy it for what it is.

Even then, a lot of these anime have valid reasons for their presentation of gender. In Rurouni Kenshin, it makes sense given that the series takes place in the meiji era.

And to take your example Nisekoi, Raku is physically assaulted by female characters and presented as weak as he can't even admit his feelings to Onodera which is anything but a typical representation of masculinity. Chitoge and Marika have a criminal gang and police force, respectively, willing to do anything for them at whatever cost which is much more matriarchal.
Jun 9, 2015 2:01 PM
Sep 2014
AttackOnTetris said:
arthurhahm said:

A lot of anime isn't like this. You've just gotta seek it out.

Yea, I understand that. Just like with film and books. I'm just saying that a lot of times these are within the mainstream area, which most people will probably watch and I'm just interested in the affect it would have.
Jun 9, 2015 2:03 PM
Sep 2014
black1blade said:
arthurhahm said:

Oh okay then. If your actually doing shit that's fine but complaining can get kinda annoying. The world is pretty fucked up.

For a 15 year old, I am thoroughly impressed that you can take the time to be serious about these kinds of problems. :)
I hope you can find the time to continue your interest in political and social issues and become one of the few who pushes for change (yep, how corny).
Jun 9, 2015 2:06 PM

Aug 2014
arthurhahm said:
black1blade said:

For a 15 year old, I am thoroughly impressed that you can take the time to be serious about these kinds of problems. :)
I hope you can find the time to continue your interest in political and social issues and become one of the few who pushes for change (yep, how corny).

I have pretty socially aware parents although they do indulge in some stupid conspiracy theories. I am glad that I never got into typical things my peers are into tbh.

Jun 9, 2015 2:08 PM
Sep 2014
JD2411 said:
anime isn't real life, or anything close to it. Stop forcing your social views onto the show and just enjoy it for what it is.

Even then, a lot of these anime have valid reasons for their presentation of gender. In Rurouni Kenshin, it makes sense given that the series takes place in the meiji era.

And to take your example Nisekoi, Raku is physically assaulted by female characters and presented as weak as he can't even admit his feelings to Onodera which is anything but a typical representation of masculinity. Chitoge and Marika have a criminal gang and police force, respectively, willing to do anything for them at whatever cost which is much more matriarchal.

Uh, Rurouni Kenshin is the opposite actually. If anything, Rurouni Kenshin's utilization of Kaoru hints at breaking the gender norm of the time.
As for your first comment, I think you are failing to see artistry for what it is. Music, film, books, paintings, etc. A lot of these things that people believe to be mere "entertainment" go beyond that. Asking questions and presenting opinions. Sure, look at the surface. But also be sure to look deeper into the numerous layers. If everyone watched Fox News and believed everything it presented, the world would be beyond fucked up.
Jun 9, 2015 2:09 PM

Nov 2008
Porofy said:
Men should be weaker and more fragile so I can turn them into my personal masochists.

Do not want.

Jun 9, 2015 2:10 PM
Mar 2013
arthurhahm said:
JD2411 said:

Uh, Rurouni Kenshin is the opposite actually. If anything, Rurouni Kenshin's utilization of Kaoru hints at breaking the gender norm of the time.
As for your first comment, I think you are failing to see artistry for what it is. Music, film, books, paintings, etc. A lot of these things that people believe to be mere "entertainment" go beyond that. Asking questions and presenting opinions. Sure, look at the surface. But also be sure to look deeper into the numerous layers. If everyone watched Fox News and believed everything it presented, the world would be beyond fucked up.
I was talking about Kenshin's representation of masculinity as opposed to femininity

and I understand the impacts of the media on the real world, I've been studying it for two years. I'm just saying you would enjoy it a lot more if you switched your brain off and enjoyed it for what it is.
Jun 9, 2015 2:15 PM

Feb 2014
It's a problem, yeah, but it's just as bad whenever creators try and go to great lengths JUST to avert those cliches.

Can't say a whole lot for the guy side, as I really don't see a whole lot of characters DELIBERATELY made into impossibly weak and unlikable characters just to do it, I know possibly Yukiteru Amano from MN, but for the girls you have the badly done tsunderes who more or less make it ok/cute that a girl beats up a guy even for no reason (but she isn't weak!!) or the stereotypical emotionless "strong girl" who has no real depth other than being physically strong (but she isn't weak!!).

Jun 9, 2015 2:15 PM
Sep 2014
JD2411 said:
arthurhahm said:

I was talking about Kenshin's representation of masculinity as opposed to femininity

and I understand the impacts of the media on the real world, I've been studying it for two years. I'm just saying you would enjoy it a lot more if you switched your brain off and enjoyed it for what it is.

I do enjoy anime a lot. But I also like to think about what's going on and what could the director/producer be trying to get through to me. Of course there are shows where there isn't much to look for. I'm not trying to say that everyone who watches Nisekoi is sexist, or that the author is sexist. I'm just trying to ask, is it okay for viewers to accept sexual stereotypes without a second glance?
Jun 9, 2015 2:17 PM

Mar 2015
arthurhahm said:
Yea, I understand that. Just like with film and books. I'm just saying that a lot of times these are within the mainstream area, which most people will probably watch and I'm just interested in the affect it would have.

Well it certainly enforces the seals on the "gender boxes", although I don't think anime has a very strong effect at all relative to other media. Even in Japan, I don't think people look up to anime heroes that much and try to become like them. I actually think the idea of specific gender demographic media could be more damaging than anything when it comes to anime and could be looked at as most of the root of the problem.
Jun 9, 2015 2:21 PM
Sep 2014
chinesecartoonz said:
It's a problem, yeah, but it's just as bad whenever creators try and go to great lengths JUST to avert those cliches.

Can't say a whole lot for the guy side, as I really don't see a whole lot of characters DELIBERATELY made into impossibly weak and unlikable characters, other than possibly Yukiteru Amano from MN, but for the girls you have the badly done tsunderes who more or less make it ok/cute that a girl beats up a guy even for no reason (but she isn't weak!!) or the stereotypical emotionless "strong girl" who has no real depth other than being physically strong (but she isn't weak!!).

Yea, you bring up an interesting point. Characterization is a lot harder to investigate though. Because you will have stereotypical females and you will have stereotypical males everywhere (Edit: I mean this in society, not in anime). But when a character incessantly states that " you're a man" if you do this, or "you're a man" if you do that, I think it is somewhat inappropriate. "Dude, you're a pussy!" - since "pussy" is affiliated with "vagina," and a "vagina" is a sexual organ of a female, then is this implying, whether knowing or unknowing, that females are incapable of having "balls." You see what I mean?
Jun 9, 2015 2:47 PM
Jul 2018
I honestly can't think of any anime/manga I've seen that enforces gender roles all that strictly. Bakuman and Death Note come to mind but they're by the same author and Bakuman is rather infamous for its bad treatment of females. It's not as though people were like, "Yes, what a great portrayal of women. It is true that women seek out marriage above everything else and that men are by default smarter than women."

And for every stereotypical masculine guy, I can probably find you one that subverts his gender roles just as much. Same with women. There are undoubtedly some sexist series out there, but they're really not all that hard to avoid and they're mostly balanced out by the good.
Jun 9, 2015 2:51 PM

Mar 2015
I actually think that anime easily offers the most hope compared to live action TV and Western cartoons. Where else can you find a story supposedly for a teenage boy demographic which deconstructs gender role enforcement more cleverly than Hunter x Hunter? And it still manages to be successful.
Jun 9, 2015 2:56 PM
Jul 2018
AttackOnTetris said:
I actually think that anime easily offers the most hope compared to live action TV and Western cartoons. Where else can you find a story supposedly for a teenage boy demographic which deconstructs gender role enforcement more cleverly than Hunter x Hunter? And it still manages to be successful.

Despite criticizing Hunter x Hunter in a previous thread, I would like to take all of it back and agree with you that it's great in the gender department.
Jun 9, 2015 3:03 PM

Mar 2015
DrCoppelius said:
Despite criticizing Hunter x Hunter in a previous thread, I would like to take all of it back and agree with you that it's great in the gender department.

And every other one too... but I won't get too greedy, yet. I'll take it as the first step into enlightenment.
Jun 9, 2015 3:09 PM
Jul 2018
AttackOnTetris said:
DrCoppelius said:

And every other one too... but I won't get too greedy, yet. I'll take it as the first step into enlightenment.

You mean Attack on Titan? I won't take that back. I stand by what I said, which is that it's not sexist but neither is it great. I'm basically indifferent to it, I just don't like it when people hail it as a great representation of women. I'll only take it back if the show develops either Mikasa or Annie more. And hey, I'm told it will in the second season so maybe I'll change my mind then.
Jun 9, 2015 3:11 PM

Oct 2014
Another question for this topic is: "Showing it" or "not showing it", or "showing it in moderation". Which of these options would be considered the "most realistic"? Which the "most naive"?
Jun 9, 2015 3:12 PM

Dec 2012
Oh, no. A problem with society? Some flaw in human nature? You should make an internet thread about it. That will fix it for sure.
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Jun 9, 2015 3:12 PM

Mar 2015
DrCoppelius said:
You mean Attack on Titan? I won't take that back. I stand by what I said, which is that it's not sexist but neither is it great. I'm basically indifferent to it, I just don't like it when people hail it as a great representation of women. I'll only take it back if the show develops either Mikasa or Annie more. And hey, I'm told it will in the second season so maybe I'll change my mind then.

Oh I meant admitting that it is objectively the greatest show ever and that anyone who disagrees is wrong and has bad taste.

Wasn't talking about Attack on Titan, but it greatly improves in that aspect while simultaneously making Mikasa even more single-mindedly possessive. I won't spoil how that works out though :) Mikasa's portrayal isn't sexist at all though imo, because it actually puts her in a role typically played by males, both in actions and emotions.
Jun 9, 2015 3:18 PM
Jul 2018
AttackOnTetris said:
Oh I meant admitting that it is objectively the greatest show ever and that anyone who disagrees is wrong and has bad taste. Wasn't talking about Attack on Titan, but it greatly improves in that aspect while simultaneously making Mikasa even more single-mindedly possessive. I won't spoil how that works out though :)

Then you have undertaken a vain quest, for nothing shall usurp Penguindrum's place in my heart. But I derail.
Jun 9, 2015 4:21 PM
Jul 2010
arthurhahm said:

Opinion:
I don't find it offensive to the point where I stop watching the animation, but I really wonder if it's okay to place gender roles on individuals, who are and will be, inherently different, despite sexual orientation. I would be happy to see, in the years to come, more animations that break patriarchal beliefs and social norms, and even further, but slightly unrelated, challenge society to push for egalitarianism among all walks of life.

Edit: Nisekoi is one of those anime that heavily utilize "gender roles." (I did thoroughly enjoy this anime, but I was bothered quite a bit)

Seriously American Progressiveness is really bugging me and I'm Korean-American too. It's like you want to FIX anime even though Japan is the one making the anime. The reason why I love anime is because it isn't hindered by the likes of American progressiveness and Japan makes anime with the content with whatever the hell they want.

Of course it's ok. The people who work on Anime shouldn't be bugged by the idea of gender stereotypes. That kind of thinking is why Anime fans in America watch Anime in the first place. Anime gets away with a lot more things than in America and that's why we love it.
Jun 9, 2015 4:30 PM

Jul 2013
I need feminism because waifus deserve the same respect as real women.
Jun 9, 2015 4:31 PM
Jul 2018
DrCoppelius said:
AttackOnTetris said:
Oh I meant admitting that it is objectively the greatest show ever and that anyone who disagrees is wrong and has bad taste. Wasn't talking about Attack on Titan, but it greatly improves in that aspect while simultaneously making Mikasa even more single-mindedly possessive. I won't spoil how that works out though :)

Then you have undertaken a vain quest, for nothing shall usurp Penguindrum's place in my heart. But I derail.

I approve your message.

On topic,I dislike gender roles in general,but I am not going to get bothered by it in anime.
Jun 9, 2015 4:39 PM

May 2013
I'm not keen on it, but it's not going to change, so there's no real point in getting worked up over it really. Offensive as it may be, it's nice to be able to just kick back, chillax and just let this shiz go B-) (though the younger me would probably have made a bit more of a fuss :P)
Jun 9, 2015 4:40 PM

Nov 2008
Anime is fine as it is, it does not need feminism, in fact it may need some men's rights in some instances.

Jun 9, 2015 5:13 PM
May 2013
Of course not.
Jun 9, 2015 5:21 PM

Sep 2012
Hoppy said:
Anime is fine as it is
Hoppy said:
in fact it may need some men's rights in some instances.
So.. which one is it?
Jun 9, 2015 5:57 PM

Mar 2013
black1blade said:

Not just gender roles, but roles in general.
Jun 9, 2015 5:57 PM

Jun 2014
Its not just anime though. Gender roles are in other mediums besides anime.
Jun 9, 2015 6:07 PM

Aug 2013
JD2411 said:
The funny thing is that Kenshin himself is the most adept at the stereotypical female chores like cooking, cleaning, washing.

AttackOnTetris said:
I actually think that anime easily offers the most hope compared to live action TV and [b]Western cartoons [/b]. Where else can you find a story supposedly for a teenage boy demographic which deconstructs gender role enforcement more cleverly than Hunter x Hunter? And it still manages to be successful.
In Steven Universe the male mc has only defensive and healing abilities while the females have all the offensive abilities. I haven't see that type of gender role reversal in anime yet.
Jun 9, 2015 6:10 PM

Oct 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
In Steven Universe the male mc has only defensive and healing abilities while the females have all the offensive abilities. I haven't see that type of gender role reversal in anime yet.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/9367/Freezing
Jun 9, 2015 6:14 PM

Aug 2013
Grey-Zone said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Ah I forgot about Kazuya's and other limiters freezing ability. It doesn't provide healing to my recollection though.
Jun 9, 2015 6:16 PM

Oct 2014
DrGeroCreation said:
Grey-Zone said:

Ah I forgot about Kazuya's freezing ability. It doesn't provide healing to my recollection though.

It's not the same, but it's still clearly divided into "main fighter = female, support = male".
Jun 9, 2015 6:17 PM

Feb 2008
Guess this gives me a good enough reason to post this webm http://a.pomf.se/uosloz.webm

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jun 9, 2015 6:21 PM

Oct 2014
ZetaZaku said:
Guess this gives me a good enough reason to post this webm http://a.pomf.se/uosloz.webm

Ohayou!

Pomf has been shut down, you can read more at http://blog.pomf.se/post/121058516206/shutting-down.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Guys I did it!

TsutanaiFuun - 5 hours ago

11 by GudBoy »»
1 minute ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - Yesterday

42 by Shizuna »»
2 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - Apr 25

39 by Spunkert »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you track anime milestons?

zombie_pegasus - 9 hours ago

17 by NubFix »»
7 minutes ago

» Would you or have you watched anime with your family (1 or more members)?

ToastWithNutella - 5 hours ago

18 by Gator »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.