Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 2, 2015 5:34 PM

Dec 2014
I'm just curious here and I know that being a veteran at watching anime isn't something that matters at all but at what point could you call yourself a "veteran anime watcher"? And what would a " veteran anime watcher" mean?

To me a veteran anime watcher is someone that has watched a bunch of anime. I'd say probably 400 total? (Wow this number could mean so much) or maybe around like 100 in a specific genre if you want to be like a ecchi veteran or something lol. (I probably sound dumb for quantifying it)

A veteran to me is defined as someone who has a lot of experience as an anime watcher and who's recommendations or thoughts on the anime/production actually holds weight. I know I'm far from one and the point of watching anime is for the fun but I was asking around for some good recommendations and some people told me they were anime veterans, so I was just wondering.

Thoughts?

Fuck yeah anime and video game arts[/url]

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 2, 2015 5:44 PM

Apr 2015
Someone experienced in the medium by meeting multiple criteria's.For me this includes-

-Watching anime for at least one year.

-Being able to articulate your thoughts on a show.I suppose you could say review it.

-Own at least a little bit of merchandise

-Knowing multiple tropes in the medium.

-Being able to name and identify multiple genres.

-Watch and finish at least 50 shows.If a long running shonen has gone over 100 episodes,i will classify that as "finished."

-Properly pronounce most Japanese names.

-Know about the Otaku culture,and lingo.

Only then will you have earned my favor! ...Which is practically useless anyway.
Jun 2, 2015 5:51 PM

Jul 2012
Relinquish022 said:
Someone experienced in the medium by meeting multiple criteria's.For me this includes-

-Being able to articulate your thoughts on a show.I suppose you could say review it.

-Watch and finish at least 50 shows.If a long running shonen has gone over 100 episodes,i will classify that as "finished."

Only then will you have earned my favor! ...Which is practically useless anyway.

I'd like to add:

Someone who has somewhat a broad list with shows from the past and present. So like, if a person only watches shows in the top 100 of MAL or most popular list, I can't really see them as a "veteran". Also, genres. If they can watch everything like me, then I applaud them even more.
Jun 2, 2015 6:04 PM

Jan 2010
In addition to the above,

- Being able to recognize the difference between different art styles, genres, target audiences, and such. Alternatively, at least being able to tell that not all anime look, sound, and act the same.
- Knowing what you like and being able to explain why you like it in the context of anime.
- Knowing of a large of anime outside of the mainstream stuff, as well as the knowing how to find them through internet databases, streaming websites, downloading services, and online stores.
Jun 2, 2015 6:08 PM

Aug 2014
Relinquish022 said:

merchandise? only rich people do that
Jun 2, 2015 6:09 PM

Apr 2014
I pretty much have all of the above, so am I a veteran now? Do I get a medal or something?
Jun 2, 2015 6:10 PM

Jul 2012
Tehqo said:
merchandise? only rich people do that

my friend's using his OSAP (student loan) money on miku hatsune figures so no
TyrelJun 2, 2015 7:22 PM
Jun 2, 2015 6:18 PM

Aug 2013
I guess I'd say a veteran is someone who is highly experienced in the medium and knows their shit very well. Basically, not me.
TyrelJun 2, 2015 7:22 PM
Jun 2, 2015 6:19 PM

Apr 2008
I think "veteran" should probably indicate someone with a lot of time invested into anime, over several years.

I don't know if it could be quantified with a specific number of shows seen - though I would expect it to be well over 600 or so. For most people, you aren't any deeper into anime culture or knowledge at 900 than you were at 600. With just numbers, that already makes you a pretty big anime fan, but veteran status implies that you have been doing it for a long time as well. With the current shape of the anime community, I would say a "veteran" has watched anime consistently for 5+ years. Not counting from when you first saw Pokemon.

Of course, these are mostly descriptions of a lifestyle - someone that watches anime as a hobby and has kept it a hobby despite their life continually changing. I would still give veteran status to people that started watching anime 30-40 years ago but remained within the anime community ever since. They've seen less anime than your usual hardcore anime fan because when they started, anime was inaccessible, but I think they should still be called veterans. I was inspired by a woman at Otakon who said she learned Japanese because she wanted to understand Harlock - at the time, all they had was fanzines that described the episodes to you. That's hardcore.

What most people in this thread seem to be describing is when you stop just being casual.
PlateJun 2, 2015 6:23 PM
Jun 2, 2015 6:35 PM

Apr 2014
ticklememour said:
some people told me they were anime veterans

That looks silly. Whoever calls himself an anime veteran is not worthy of this worthless title.

"Ah, what? What? Who are you? Ahh another Undead, eh? I took on Sen's Fortress alone... But I'm no different from those vile creatures... I was driven by conceit... Ahh, you think you're different? That you can handle it? Yes, I remember that feeling. For I was the same... So let me help you out. With your souls searching."
Crestfallen Merchant
Jun 2, 2015 6:50 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Well I look at it like you start out as a newbie, then you make it to minor league status, then you acquire pro status, THEN after a lot of experience being a pro you eventually become a veteran. I have 429 completed entries, so I'd put myself in the top-end of minor league status. Not too far from being called up to pro status. Veteran is still worlds away from where I am.
Jun 2, 2015 6:52 PM
Jul 2018
What do I get if I become a veteran?
Jun 2, 2015 7:02 PM

Aug 2013
Eremiel said:
Having atleast 70% or more compatibility with me.
Damn I was really hoping to have over 70% so I could make a comment. But then I clicked on your profile and saw 26.7% and burst out laughing because that was not what I was expecting at all lol.
Jun 2, 2015 7:13 PM

Jan 2015
When you've passed the weeaboo phase...

That's when you become a veteran.
When life hands you a muffin, pay the world a smile.
Jun 2, 2015 7:15 PM

May 2015
JediMuffin said:

Nahhh.. it's not necessary to become a weaboo.
Jun 2, 2015 7:21 PM

Mar 2015
If these various definitions are what a veteran is, then I'm happy I'm not one.
Jun 2, 2015 7:24 PM

Jul 2011
Eremiel said:
Having atleast 70% or more compatibility with me.

Well, i lost my chance
Jun 2, 2015 7:24 PM

Jan 2015
TheGoldenLion said:
JediMuffin said:

I meant after.
Once you're done and over being a weeaboo.

Like a butterfree emerging from its past boner self
When life hands you a muffin, pay the world a smile.
Jun 2, 2015 7:27 PM

Mar 2015
JediMuffin said:
TheGoldenLion said:

I meant after.

I catch my Butterfrees in the wild.
Jun 2, 2015 7:29 PM

Mar 2015
This
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 2, 2015 7:30 PM

Jul 2012
Unyilkdr said:
This

Relinquish022 said:
Being able to articulate your thoughts on a show.I suppose you could say review it.

Shocked said:
Knowing what you like and being able to explain why you like it in the context of anime.
Jun 2, 2015 7:31 PM

Jan 2009
Unyilkdr said:
This

im still skeptical if he is really a japanese, there was a thread long ago about anime merchandise collection and the picture he provided on that thread was a fake lol
Jun 2, 2015 7:36 PM
Jul 2018
Getting your comment deleted by tyrel for being too witty

I honestly don't know o.o I guess if every or most anime you watched you atleast have a opinion and something to back ot up?

Jun 2, 2015 7:36 PM

Mar 2015
j0x said:
Unyilkdr said:
This

im still skeptical if he is really a japanese, there was a thread long ago about anime merchandise collection and the picture he provided on that thread was a fake lol
at least, his argumant and his opinion about anime are solid. i am actually prefer higushi_no_kaze or introvertturtle, but for quantity, this guy wins.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 2, 2015 7:39 PM

Jul 2012
Unyilkdr said:
j0x said:

at least, his argumant and his opinion about anime are solid. i am actually prefer higushi_no_kaze or introvertturtle, but for quantity, this guy wins.

What argument? I asked him why he thought a specific show was 3/10 level bad and he said the voice acting, or OST didn't hype him up. Or why he didn't like a specific voice actor and he said it's because he's an idol.

I just see this as a very narrow minded way of thinking.
Jun 2, 2015 7:41 PM
Aug 2014
The idea of an "anime veteran" just seems really weird to me. Or at least calling it that seems weird. To me, the word veteran would mean that you've seen/experienced first-hand whatever it is you're a veteran of. I don't really see how that word can truly be applied to anime.

I mean, I've been watching anime since elementary school, and I feel like I've seen a lot of shows, but I would still feel weird claiming to be an "anime veteran."
Jun 2, 2015 7:43 PM

Jul 2012
Fundorable said:
The idea of an "anime veteran" just seems really weird to me. Or at least calling it that seems weird. To me, the word veteran would mean that you've seen/experienced first-hand whatever it is you're a veteran of. I don't really see how that word can truly be applied to anime.

I mean, I've been watching anime since elementary school, and I feel like I've seen a lot of shows, but I would still feel weird claiming to be an "anime veteran."

No, but you're missing the requirement of:
1. Watching a variety/a lot and watching many from different years
Jun 2, 2015 7:45 PM

Mar 2015
mayukachan said:
Unyilkdr said:

What argument? I asked him why he thought a specific show was 3/10 level bad and he said the voice acting, or OST didn't hype him up. Or why he didn't like a specific voice actor and he said it's because he's an idol.

I just see this as a very narrow minded way of thinking.
i said solid, not good or bad, i even don't understand what he said. but he like proud of his opinion and ready for any objection that come to him. that's why i chose solid.
Jun 2, 2015 7:46 PM

Jan 2009
Unyilkdr said:
j0x said:

this guy is better http://myanimelist.net/profile/lanblade and is actually helping the MAL database grow and be corrected when needed
Jun 2, 2015 7:49 PM

Mar 2015
j0x said:
Unyilkdr said:

this guy is better http://myanimelist.net/profile/lanblade and is actually helping the MAL database grow and be corrected when needed
wow, that's amazing. thanks. i never know him.
Jun 2, 2015 7:50 PM

May 2015
JediMuffin said:
TheGoldenLion said:

I meant after.

But I never became a weaboo D:
Jun 2, 2015 7:52 PM

Aug 2008
So, from some these points of views...I am a veteran. Cool.

I think the most important point is trying to watch and have relatively unbiased opinions on anime even if they love them/despise them. There are anime that are great and sometimes they don't give us too much hype and vice versa, yet I think someone who has been watching anime for a long time and has watched many genres, should be able to give a more "rational" opinion.
絶対大丈夫だよ

Jun 2, 2015 7:54 PM

Jan 2009
Unyilkdr said:
j0x said:

wow, that's amazing. thanks. i never know him.

you can find him a lot of times on the Anime DB forums - http://myanimelist.net/forum/?subboard=2 helping the MAL database
Jun 2, 2015 7:54 PM

Jun 2014
The answer to your question varies. I've been watching Anime for nearly 23 years, but my completed list is much smaller than some who have only been watching for half that amount of time.

I've seen far more Anime than what's on my list, but I may have only seen half or three quarters of certain shows, so I chose not to add them, because that would be cheating.

Jun 2, 2015 7:55 PM

Jul 2012
Working_Designs said:
but I may have only seen half or three quarters of certain shows, so I chose not to add them, because that would be cheating.

"On Hold" list? Or "Dropped"?
Jun 2, 2015 8:07 PM

Jun 2014
mayukachan said:
Working_Designs said:
but I may have only seen half or three quarters of certain shows, so I chose not to add them, because that would be cheating.

"On Hold" list? Or "Dropped"?

I didn't actually "Drop" any of them. I saw them on TV as a kid, and sometimes they just stopped showing all the episodes, like Monster Rancher. I loved that show, but they stopped showing new episodes at some point. But thankfully I now own it on DVD, and will eventually watch the entire thing.

I also remember watching Escaflowne when YTV first showed it. I'm pretty sure I saw most of it, and actually I may have seen the entire thing, but I can't remember. In the late 90s, about three quarters of YTVs' afternoon programming was Anime. Things have changed a lot since then.

There were of course, some shows that I saw only a couple of episodes, and didn't bother watching anymore, because I didn't like them, especially the crap YTV was showing at night around 2005 or so. I then went from 2005 until 2010 without watching any Anime at all for the most part. The only thing that got me back into watching Anime was when I bought a Laserdisc player 5 years ago, and now, I'm buying Anime on DVD as well.

Jun 2, 2015 8:13 PM
Aug 2014
mayukachan said:
Fundorable said:

What constitutes an acceptable variety of shows for one to be considered a veteran? Just curious.
Lately, I've been trying to branch out a bit from the 'slice of life/school life' anime that I tend to stick to.
Jun 2, 2015 8:24 PM

Nov 2014
Unyilkdr said:
This

This guy is insane I wonder if he spent only his life to anime world.

Anyway, Veteran, a person who has had long experience in a particular field. Veteran anime watcher means to me that he has the ability to identify the anime accurately and having watch at least 40% of total anime. I guess being a veteran isn't something to be proud of, because anime is only for fun for me.

Maybe they are not "veteran anime watcher", but they are just addicted to anime. Am I right?
Jun 2, 2015 8:25 PM

Jul 2012
Fundorable said:
mayukachan said:

What constitutes an acceptable variety of shows for one to be considered a veteran? Just curious.
Lately, I've been trying to branch out a bit from the 'slice of life/school life' anime that I tend to stick to.

A handful of notable shows from every genre, I guess.
Jun 2, 2015 8:29 PM
Aug 2014
mayukachan said:

But what's a handful? And what determines that the show is notable? The criteria that we're basing veteran status on just seems so vague.
Jun 2, 2015 8:31 PM

Jul 2012
Fundorable said:
mayukachan said:

But what's a handful? And what determines that the show is notable? The criteria that we're basing veteran status on just seems so vague.

Handful = 5-10?
Highest rated or most notable in Japan.
So if you were to do sports for example, you would do some from the past like Major, Hajime no Ippo, Slam Dunk and then some of the newer higher rated like Haikyuu!!, Baby Steps, Free!, to say you've entered the genre.

The entire term is subjective but like, most people would use this as a requirement.
Jun 2, 2015 8:32 PM

May 2012
That's not something to be proud of. "Veteran anime watcher" lmao
save all the cute girls from ntr manga
Jun 2, 2015 8:32 PM
Jan 2015
Good tastes and a sizeable list.
Jun 2, 2015 8:37 PM

Nov 2010
500+ entries(most being TV series), has been watching anime as a hobby(meaning not counting when you were 6 and watching Pokemon) for at least 5 years, and has watched anime from almost every genre.

I'm using the definition: a person who has had long experience in a particular field.

So they need a certain amount of years, I think 5 is fine. Most of the older people have been watching for 10+ years and a lot of people quit within the first 2 or so. And it's no use if they watch 3 anime a year so a minimum entry is required, 500 seems fair enough. It's quite easy to get if you watch airing anime. And the genre thing is related to the latter, not much use if it's all from one genre, then you could call yourself a veteran of that genre but not of anime in general.
Jun 2, 2015 8:44 PM

Jul 2013
Is this some sort of achievement or something? Cuz I really hate it when people flaunt (not sure if this is the correct word) their annime list on people.
Jun 2, 2015 8:46 PM

Jul 2011
I consider myself an anime veteran and professional
Jun 2, 2015 9:06 PM

Jul 2014
"anime veteran" lol that title just sounds retarded
Jun 2, 2015 9:12 PM

Apr 2015
People will stay away from me.....
#CHEXIT
Jun 2, 2015 9:49 PM

Jul 2012
Imeon said:
People will stay away from me.....

Like they don't already do?

BlueScarf said:
Good tastes and a sizeable list.

Define good?
Jun 2, 2015 9:50 PM

Nov 2012
Know said:
That's not something to be proud of. "Veteran anime watcher" lmao

sounds like someone here isn't an anime veteran :^)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why is there a stigma in the anime community towards people who enjoy children anime? Like YuGiOh, Pokemon, PreCure etc.

removed-user - May 10

43 by Rinrinka »»
5 seconds ago

» What's the meaning behind your MAL username?

Gashadokur0 - 1 hour ago

8 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
2 minutes ago

» Does episode length matter

ST63LTH - 5 hours ago

12 by WatchTillTandava »»
4 minutes ago

» Who are your worst protagonists of all time?

DickMagic23 - 1 hour ago

9 by Daviljoe193 »»
12 minutes ago

» So, what's the oldest anime you've ever watched? ( 1 2 )

Gashadokur0 - May 14

66 by m_alhafidz »»
40 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.