Forum Settings
Forums

Just got back from Japan... Ask Questions Thread

New
May 31, 2015 4:28 PM

Mar 2012
I was on a 2 week vacation in Japan. 9 days in Tokyo and 5 days in Kyoto. I know a lot of people on this forum are interested in Japan and want to go there one day.

Feel free to ask questions. It was a great experience to see the reality of a country first-hand.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 31, 2015 4:30 PM

Apr 2014
How were the high school girls?
May 31, 2015 4:30 PM

Apr 2011
What were your expectations?
May 31, 2015 4:31 PM
Mar 2011
how come you only went two cites
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong

May 2015
I'll be traveling to Japan during spring semester for study abroad! :-) I suppose my question is, what did you do there? :d

Mar 2015
Just a general question:

Was it just like you exspected or did something really surprise you? Or in a shorter question: is the general image of Japanthat people have true?
May 31, 2015 4:32 PM
Jul 2018
Xenophoby of Japanese is what I am interested in.
May 31, 2015 4:33 PM

May 2014
Did you get laughed at?
I've been here way too long...

Oct 2012
Protaku94 said:

Aug 2013
how many times were you abused by tentacles?
May 31, 2015 4:35 PM

Apr 2014
I want answers already.
May 31, 2015 4:36 PM
Mar 2012
What did it look like? Were the streets small and intersected like in Paris? Or not? Did you see alot of otakus and manga shops? Have u tried MSG?
May 31, 2015 4:37 PM

May 2014
Protaku94 said:
May 31, 2015 4:38 PM
Sep 2014
Did you see any cherry blossoms?
May 31, 2015 4:42 PM

Aug 2014
Were there chicks that had crushes on their oniichan?
May 31, 2015 4:43 PM

Aug 2014
FGAU1912 said:
FGAU

Always asking the tough questions.
May 31, 2015 4:45 PM

Oct 2013
how's the music scene?
May 31, 2015 4:48 PM

Apr 2015
how were the vending machines
May 31, 2015 4:50 PM

Jul 2014
Did you get any hookers bruh?
May 31, 2015 4:55 PM

Mar 2012
Protaku94 said:

Not my cup of tea. Japanese girls generally look younger than they are and even if they were my age I wouldn't be interested in many. I'm only attracted to very attractive Asian girls, so that really limits me.

GloriousHawk said:
What were your expectations?

I wanted to see a beautiful, technologically advanced, filled with nerd-culture, and ancient society. Overall, certain things didn't meet my expectations but others exceeded. It all balanced out to a trip that met my expectations, not exceeding or disappointing.

FGAU1912 said:

Technically I went to more (Sites around the cities), but there is so much to offer in Japan. I didn't even see everything Tokyo or Kyoto had to offer.

GoldandWild said:
I'll be traveling to Japan during spring semester for study abroad! :-) I suppose my question is, what did you do there? :d

Basically I went to a ton of temples/historical sites in Kyoto and while I was in Tokyo I got to know the city. I visited the major parts of the city and saw a lot of museums. I tried to see as much Anime/Manga related things as possible. I went to Aki, visited studios, did a lot of game hunting, anime/manga museums, and of course saw the major Gundam stuff. Odaiba, where the life-size Gundam is, was unbelievable. It was straight out of some sci-fi Anime. The government building there looked like it was out of Gundam...

Helenus said:
Just a general question:

Was it just like you exspected or did something really surprise you? Or in a shorter question: is the general image of Japanthat people have true?

Good question. A huge negative point is the English in Japan. I knew it was a bad English speaking country before I went, but I didn't realize how abysmal it was. It isn't just the worst English speaking country of first world countries, but of any country I've been to. The spirituality in Japan surprised me. People always go on and on about Japan's lack of religion, but that is kind of a false statement. They may not have a huge organized central Church, but the people there still respect and honor their Buddhist roots. I saw plenty of people praying at shrines and participating in the religious festivals/customs.

DejWo said:
Xenophoby of Japanese is what I am interested in.

The Japanese are very friendly to tourists. They want people to have a good impression of their country. People help you, without you even having to ask them. They may not speak English well, but they will still extend a helping hand. Trying to live there is another story. 99% of the population is Japanese and I would say they are a very ethnocentric society. This leads to good things (keeping their culture/lack of super westernization), but it also leads to close-mindedness. I would personally never live there, but I will visit again.

TheConquerer said:
Did you get laughed at?

Yes, but I was trying to be funny. Besides some girls giggling around me, the only time I was actually "laughed at" was at the Ghibli Museum. A little Japanese girl saw one of my tattoos and pointed. She started laughing and so did her family. I had a laugh as well, so it was no harm and foul about it at all.

Baelish said:
how many times were you abused by tentacles?

I signed a disclaimer that I couldn't talk about this...
RichtheLionheartMay 31, 2015 4:59 PM
May 31, 2015 4:55 PM

Jan 2012
CookieGawd said:

May 31, 2015 4:56 PM

Jun 2014
Did you purchase any interesting stuff?

May 31, 2015 4:57 PM

Jun 2014
Was the food good?
May 31, 2015 5:03 PM

Aug 2013
RichtheLionheart said:
A little Japanese girl saw one of my tattoos and pointed. She started laughing and so did her family.

Then you walked over and did this before walking out

May 31, 2015 5:06 PM

Apr 2014
Did you go to aokighara forest?
Mount Fuji?
See a robot?
Trance said:
I'm a guy and I can imagine buttfucking another guy. I don't find the thought repulsive, and I can even imagine kissing another man.
May 31, 2015 5:08 PM

Feb 2015
Did you see any otakus? Or weeaboos? Or socially awkward people on the streets ..

Did you see kids crying to their mom that they want to buy an anime toy?

Oh.. And did you see any maids? In the coffee shops
teruuMay 31, 2015 5:17 PM
Hello
May 31, 2015 5:11 PM

Mar 2012
Codege-ass1 said:
What did it look like? Were the streets small and intersected like in Paris? Or not? Did you see alot of otakus and manga shops? Have u tried MSG?

Yes, there were a ton of small streets. Outside of Aki, I wouldn't say there were a lot of "Otaku" shops, but there were a ton of bookstores with manga. Manga is very mainstream and for pretty much all ages. MSG?

lolatusenpai said:
Protaku94 said:

Like I said before, I'm only attracted to very attractive Asian girls so I'm not the best guy to ask. Not a big fan of the women looks wise, but they carried themselves extremely well. My friend who went with me was in heaven, but he is in love with Asian women. That being said, I wouldn't rate Japan very high even among other Asians.

NorthBayAnime said:

One of my biggest regrets. We went just after Cherry Blossom season :(.

ooo333 said:
Were there chicks that had crushes on their oniichan?

In a cute little kid way yes, anything beyond that..SCREW YOU PERV!!!

UnoPuntoCinco said:
how's the music scene?

Saw a lot of idol stuff and some J-rock.

FlatbushZombies said:

I saw one used Pantie vending machine, but it was in a very Otaku area and NOT COMMON. You will see a lot of cigarette vending machines. There was a wide variety of drinks offered in their regular vending machines. Also, some hilarious names as well. Pocari Sweat stood out. Also, they have a drink with Aqua in the title and it looks like water but it's not (Be warned).

CookieGawd said:

No, but I did go to the red light district. It is the least Japanese place in all of Japan. Tons of rude and aggressive people. Also, there are a bunch of black (African) people there.

Working_Designs said:
Did you purchase any interesting stuff?

Yes, I saved a lot of money to spend on this trip. Bought a ton of games, some art books, and also an animation cel from the Ghibli Museum. I'm a game collector, so this was a dream trip for me.

-Chance- said:
Was the food good?

Japanese food doesn't rank too high for me, but the food is good. If you have had quality Japanese food, outside of Japan, then expect the same taste but slightly better. Food isn't actually that expensive. Just try to avoid places that charge a premium because they are tourists traps.
May 31, 2015 5:14 PM
Mar 2012
MSG is a food ingredient used by Japanese people. I might have it confused though, because maybe Chinese people use that!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_glutamate wiki page
May 31, 2015 5:17 PM

May 2014
OP you say you're only attracted to "very attractive Asian girls". Are you implying Japanese girls are not attractive? Do you mind showing us some examples of what you consider as attractive?
May 31, 2015 5:18 PM

Aug 2013
RichtheLionheart said:

FlatbushZombies said:

I saw one used Pantie vending machine, but it was in a very Otaku area and NOT COMMON. You will see a lot of cigarette vending machines. There was a wide variety of drinks offered in their regular vending machines. Also, some hilarious names as well. Pocari Sweat stood out. Also, they have a drink with Aqua in the title and it looks like water but it's not (Be warned).

Better watch those vending machines....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraquat_murders
May 31, 2015 5:19 PM

Jul 2014
Did you meet the hokage?

Did they teach you the kamehameha?

Did you achieve bankai?
May 31, 2015 5:21 PM
Sep 2014
NorthBayAnime said:

One of my biggest regrets. We went just after Cherry Blossom season :(.

T__T all the tears

That's unfortunate
May 31, 2015 5:21 PM

Mar 2012
Baelish said:
RichtheLionheart said:
A little Japanese girl saw one of my tattoos and pointed. She started laughing and so did her family.

Then you walked over and did this before walking out

xD

Masked_Mantis said:
Did you go to aokighara forest?
Mount Fuji?
See a robot?

No to the first question. I saw Mount Fuji, but I didn't go. Yes, I saw a robot.

teruu said:
Did you see any otakus? Or weeaboos? Or socially awkward people on the streets ..

Did you see kids crying to their mom that they want to buy an anime you?

Oh.. And did you see any maids? In the coffee shops

Yes, I saw otakus but even in the very nerdy areas they aren't extremely common. Otaku is a strong word and it's not a label for someone that simply likes Anime or Manga. As far as social awkwardness, it's not like the weird people in the west. It is more that certain people are shy, not that they are genuinely face-palm inducing awkward. Yes, I saw some weaboos. I pointed them out to my friend every time I saw one. They stick out like a sore thumb..just like they do back home.

No kids crying for stuff like out here.

I went to a maid cafe. My friend is an otaku and was dying to see one. I wasn't a fan before I went to Japan and I'm still not a fan. It's awkward, overpriced, and the food sucks. If you ever go, just do it for the novelty aspect and expect nothing more. I only saw the maids in Akihabara.
May 31, 2015 5:22 PM
Mar 2012
CookieGawd said:
Did you meet the hokage?

Did you achieve bankai?

haha
May 31, 2015 5:24 PM

May 2014
lolatusenpai said:
OP you say you're only attracted to "very attractive Asian girls". Are you implying Japanese girls are not attractive? Do you mind showing us some examples of what you consider as attractive?
May 31, 2015 5:26 PM

May 2015
I don't know why weebs are obsessed with Asian women. For every pretty Asian girl, there's a million ugly ones.

How was the ghibli museum though?

May 31, 2015 5:31 PM

May 2015
How is the public transportation system?
May 31, 2015 5:31 PM

Apr 2013
How was akihabara there, did you find anything strange?
May 31, 2015 5:37 PM

Aug 2014
Did you watch Kamen Rider Drive while you were here?
May 31, 2015 5:40 PM

Mar 2012
lolatusenpai said:

People are attracted to what they are attracted to. It's all in the eyes of the beholder. I saw some gorgeous women, but that wasn't common.

CookieGawd said:
Did you meet the hokage?

Did you achieve bankai?

Yes
May 31, 2015 5:41 PM

Jan 2014
Did you drink and if so how was the alcohol? My sister went for a few weeks last summer and said the mixed drinks were very good.
May 31, 2015 5:49 PM

Mar 2012
KiritoKirigayaa said:
I don't know why weebs are obsessed with Asian women. For every pretty Asian girl, there's a million ugly ones.

How was the ghibli museum though?

So so true. Ghibli Museum was freaking amazing. Having seen all the movies and other Ghibli related stuff it was heaven. I understood all the references and they made the museum like places out of their movies. It was a work of art and every Ghibli fan should go. I also saw a short-film based off of Totoro. It was like Totoro part 2, so that was a treat.

GoldandWild said:
How is the public transportation system?

Can be confusing at times, but still very efficient. During rush hour it is insane. You are so crammed packed in the subway that you can barely move. Kyoto's public transportation is no where near Tokyo's level. You have to use buses to get everywhere and the buses are way too small. Also, expect to do a ton of walking in Kyoto but in Japan in general. I probably walked 5-10 miles a day.

ccdewa said:
How was akihabara there, did you find anything strange?

Amazing, but there are plenty of strange stuff there. All that stereotypical weird/disgusting stuff can be found there but those things are usually separated into their own floor or at least their own section. Some stores have entire floors dedicated to hentai/lolis/doujinshi...

MechaKiryu said:

Nope
May 31, 2015 5:50 PM

Mar 2012
gombo said:
Did you drink and if so how was the alcohol? My sister went for a few weeks last summer and said the mixed drinks were very good.

I had a few beers but that was about it. I don't drink too much these days. They have a wide variety of mixed drinks and they are very colorful as well. I wouldn't go to Japan for the best alcohol anyway. Europe is much better for that.
May 31, 2015 5:56 PM

Oct 2013
>Saw a lot of idol stuff and some J-rock.

disgusting
May 31, 2015 5:59 PM
Jun 2006
NorthBayAnime said:

lol...

I hope if you had any weaboo fantasies about Japan, they were crushed.
May 31, 2015 6:01 PM

Aug 2014
RichtheLionheart said:
MechaKiryu said:

Nope

...Never come back here again...

May 31, 2015 7:20 PM
Nobody

Jul 2013
Did you find the subtitles?
May 31, 2015 7:21 PM

May 2012
What made you want to visit Japan?
save all the cute girls from ntr manga
Jun 1, 2015 2:45 AM

May 2015
Did you yell "It's GOJIRA" in a crowded area ?
Jun 1, 2015 2:46 AM

Sep 2012
whats your sex life like?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» How are your cooking skills

ST63LTH - 8 hours ago

14 by Dachitosoru »»
5 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

708 by Hitagi__Furude »»
13 minutes ago

» Do you collect trading cards?

Malkshake - Apr 30

24 by vasipi4946 »»
56 minutes ago

» is blocking users a admitance of cowardice?

vasipi4946 - 1 hour ago

1 by deg »»
1 hour ago

» FAvorite philosopher and Why ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Nov 4, 2018

117 by deg »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.