Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
May 3, 2015 6:26 PM

Apr 2015
Immahnoob said:
highspot said:
But the point was brought up about tiptoeing around "argue" and using "debate" instead (which the OP commented on), you gave technical definitions and said that's the end, I explained that people use them differently regardless of what one dictionary says.
Woah, people use terms with different definitions by using other definitions, mothafuckas!

No, that's not always true, and I said that it is the case of OP, which is why it is the end.

Sarcasm aside, it may not always be true, but it's true here. So no, your dictionary definitions aren't the end because other points were brought up which you are ignoring. The OP uses them interchangeably. The question was "why the tiptoeing". The tiptoeing was explained. That's the end.

I think this particular line of comments is a case-in-point of arguing/debating online being pointless. Especially when one person argues to their own point regardless of what others bring to the discussion.
May 3, 2015 6:29 PM

Apr 2012
highspot said:
Sarcasm aside, it may not always be true, but it's true here. So no, your dictionary definitions aren't the end because other points were brought up which you are ignoring.
Which are irrelevant to the topic, considering OP used it as the definitions that are synonymous.
highspot said:
The OP uses them interchangeably. The question was "why the tiptoeing". The tiptoeing was explained. That's the end.
I don't think you get it. The guy that said they're not the same thing was irrelevant to the topic, and I ended him.

Get it? Kek, the puns.
highspot said:
I think this particular line of comments is a case-in-point of arguing/debating online being pointless. Especially when one person argues to their own point regardless of what others bring to the discussion.
That's because your stance is a whole strawman.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
May 3, 2015 7:37 PM

Apr 2015
Immahnoob said:
Which are irrelevant to the topic, considering OP used it as the definitions that are synonymous.

The OP even joined in on the discussion, giving Wikipedia definitions. It may be irrelevant to the initial question, but this is a discussion. Discussions have a way of bringing in new topics.

Immahnoob said:
I don't think you get it. The guy that said they're not the same thing was irrelevant to the topic, and I ended him.

But you didn't end it and it has already been explained why. You don't get to ignore other points in a discussion and end a conversation just because you think you "won" or whatever. Well, I guess you can, but it doesn't mean you're correct.

I get it, you think his question was irrelevant. But your response to him didn't answer his question. If you had just said that it was irrelevant then that would've been the end, but you didn't do that. You said they're the same. They're not always.

Immahnoob said:
That's because your stance is a whole strawman.

So you're going to throw out logical fallacies now? Then explain the strawman. What point am I talking about that was not brought up in this discussion? I think I've been pretty clear on what the question I was answering (which was brought up as part of this discussion). Why the tiptoeing? Tiptoeing explained.
May 3, 2015 7:40 PM

Apr 2012
highspot said:
The OP even joined in on the discussion, giving Wikipedia definitions. It may be irrelevant to the initial question, but this is a discussion. Discussions have a way of bringing in new topics.
That doesn't change my point, does it now?
highspot said:
But you didn't end it and it has already been explained why. You don't get to ignore other points in a discussion and end a conversation just because you think you "won" or whatever. Well, I guess you can, but it doesn't mean you're correct.
By the scope of this debate I am though.
highspot said:
I get it, you think his question was irrelevant. But your response to him didn't answer his question. If you had just said that it was irrelevant then that would've been the end, but you didn't do that. You said they're the same. They're not always.
That's like going into a debate where X and Y and then saying "X isn't always Y, you know.", you'd probably get told your memory is that of a hamster.
highspot said:
So you're going to throw out logical fallacies now?
Actually, I meant red herring, sorry.

And yeah, it being irrelevant to my stance is a red herring.

Autocrat said:
May 3, 2015 8:25 PM

Apr 2015
Immahnoob said:
That doesn't change my point, does it now?

It doesn't change mine either. What is your point? This seems pointless. I've already said I understand what you were saying.

Immahnoob said:
By the scope of this debate I am though.

By the scope of your own debate which does not match the scope of the question put forth.

Immahnoob said:
That's like going into a debate where X and Y and then saying "X isn't always Y, you know.", you'd probably get told your memory is that of a hamster.

Sorry, but what is that even supposed to mean?

Immahnoob said:
Actually, I meant red herring, sorry.

And yeah, it being irrelevant to my stance is a red herring.

So new topics are distractions?
May 3, 2015 8:35 PM

Apr 2012
highspot said:
By the scope of your own debate which does not match the scope of the question put forth.
I think I've already told you but:
Immahnoob said:
Which means, OP said he used them interchangeably, as I said too before him, X is Y in this case, then someone comes in and says X isn't always Y, which is irrelevant to us and the topic.

If they're irrelevant to my stance, yes.

Autocrat said:
May 3, 2015 8:38 PM

Oct 2012
heighten ego/put the scum of the earth in their place
May 3, 2015 9:43 PM

Apr 2015
Immahnoob said:
If they're irrelevant to my stance, yes.

YOUR stance, not the question asked. I know your stance. I know the original question by the OP. I've said I understand what you're saying.

But, did I or did I not answer the question put forth, the difference between the usage of "debate" and "argue"?
highspotMay 4, 2015 2:16 PM
May 3, 2015 9:57 PM

Apr 2012
highspot said:
YOUR stance, not the question asked.
The question was irrelevant. As OP used them interchangeably, as I claimed before.
highspot said:
But, did I or did I not answer the question put forth, the difference between the usage of "debate" and "argue"?
There is no difference in our case, you merely interjected when not needed.

Autocrat said:
May 3, 2015 10:00 PM

Jun 2014
Immahnoob going ham, again!
May 3, 2015 10:55 PM

Apr 2015
Immahnoob said:
There is no difference in our case, you merely interjected when not needed.

You really don't like answering simple questions, do you? I'm not talking about the original comment as I've clearly stated. Regardless of whether or not you thought my comment was needed, did I or did I not answer the question posed?
Jun 28, 2015 2:16 PM
Jun 2015
Sounds like politics when we trying to go head to head motto motto
Jun 28, 2015 2:58 PM
Jul 2018
To engage in mental fisticuffs
Jun 28, 2015 3:03 PM

Aug 2014
Nothing. Just makes you look stupid.
Jun 28, 2015 4:26 PM

May 2010
It's been awhile since I've kept up with the current research, but from what I recall, your chances of convincing others with a different mindset are indeed very slim even if what you are saying is fact. However there are ways to increase your chances of swaying the other party. If I remember correctly using graphs in your argument is one way...But just imagine somebody pulling out a chart on MAL.
Jun 29, 2015 1:51 AM

Oct 2012
yaiba064 said:
Even in real life, there is little chance one can persuade others that their view is more rooted in logic, has more legitimacy than others'. So what is the point of even doing it online? Why can we just agree to disagree instead of trying to put ourselves before everyone else?
Why can't we just agree to disagree that faggots are evil, niggers have small minds, and slavery is a right to property? What is the point of trying to put our own ideology before the terrorists? Just accept that they think differently and move on.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 29, 2015 5:49 AM

Nov 2014
katsucats said:
yaiba064 said:
Even in real life, there is little chance one can persuade others that their view is more rooted in logic, has more legitimacy than others'. So what is the point of even doing it online? Why can we just agree to disagree instead of trying to put ourselves before everyone else?
Why can't we just agree to disagree that faggots are evil, niggers have small minds, and slavery is a right to property? What is the point of trying to put our own ideology before the terrorists? Just accept that they think differently and move on.

What you have listed were not achieved by simply arguing on the internet. And I stress, the Internet.
Haruhi ism
It's fun, isn't it?

Jun 29, 2015 6:35 AM

Mar 2014
v8 said:

I respectfully disagree
Redheadphones said:
The 'Children' continue to flock around me. They see me as a guide on their path to salvation. They wish to transcend their powerless existences, to grow from mere boys and girls into men and women of worth and value.

Pick a number between 1-4 and hope to get lucky.
1 2 3 4
Jun 29, 2015 6:40 AM

Nov 2011
Shiny_Goomy said:
v8 said:

I respectfully disagree

I disagree with you disagreeing
SWFC

We're all Wednesday arent we?
Jun 29, 2015 7:02 AM

Aug 2014
There's just no point, at all.

The thing about "winning the audience" does make some sense, if one doesn't want to feel "defeated", but it's got more to do with rhetoric than logic.
Jun 29, 2015 7:07 AM

Mar 2014
Enjoying ourselves. :)

Feeling better or worse about yourself.

Gaining attention.
"I am the Bone of my Sword
Steel is my Body and Fire is my Blood
I have created over a Thousand Blades
Unaware of Loss,
Nor aware of Gain.
Withstood Pain to create Weapons, Waiting for one’s Arrival
I have no Regrets. This is the only Path
My whole life was Unlimited Blade Works"
Jun 29, 2015 7:13 AM

Jun 2014
To help the time pass as the inevitable certainty of death closes in on you.
Jun 29, 2015 12:22 PM

May 2013
it's a great way to share ideas and figure out what you believe.

even if i don't do it too much haha
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Jun 29, 2015 12:56 PM

Oct 2012
yaiba064 said:
katsucats said:
What you have listed were not achieved by simply arguing on the internet. And I stress, the Internet.
The internet is not a significant factor. Ideas exist across any medium.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 29, 2015 10:17 PM

Nov 2014
katsucats said:
yaiba064 said:

Oh yes it is. Being anonymous gives people the pertinent factor, they tend to think higher of themselves more often than behind the screens.
Haruhi ism
It's fun, isn't it?

Jun 29, 2015 10:21 PM

Aug 2014
Shiny_Goomy said:
v8 said:

I respectfully disagree

Liar
Jun 29, 2015 10:41 PM

Mar 2013
I like debating. It helps me articulate my opinion in say, anime reviews or political debates.

Got to look educated ya know.
Jun 29, 2015 10:47 PM

Mar 2014

This is why
"I am the Bone of my Sword
Steel is my Body and Fire is my Blood
I have created over a Thousand Blades
Unaware of Loss,
Nor aware of Gain.
Withstood Pain to create Weapons, Waiting for one’s Arrival
I have no Regrets. This is the only Path
My whole life was Unlimited Blade Works"
Jun 29, 2015 10:49 PM
Mar 2011
v8 said:

i disagree
as long as its a debate on something worthwhile
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jun 29, 2015 10:54 PM

Aug 2014
FGAU1912 said:
v8 said:

i disagree
as long as its a debate on something worthwhile

Depends on what the debate is being based on. For all you know they could be getting their information off bootleg sites and still looking stupid.
Jun 29, 2015 10:55 PM
Jul 2018
For waifu supremacy.
Jun 29, 2015 11:20 PM

Jan 2015
I don't see any point in it, that's why I don't engage in it.
Jun 29, 2015 11:33 PM

Jul 2014
To impress Katsu because he is my hero.
Jun 29, 2015 11:37 PM

Feb 2015
Because you can bait them ~
Jun 30, 2015 8:44 AM
Jan 2013
What's the point of arguing? u sound like u wanna go at it.
Jun 30, 2015 8:46 AM

Dec 2014
Arguing causes banter. Banter makes people happy.
Jun 30, 2015 8:50 AM
May 2009
sometimes you learn new things from other people.
But most of the time to troll.
Jun 30, 2015 12:29 PM

May 2015
What, and sitting in silence is somehow better?

No one is going to change their mind quickly, but if you always argue and debate, expose yourself to different viewpoints your views will get more solid. You will gain more experience, and be better at explaining yourself.

I don't get into a debate with hoping one of us willdo a 180. I just hope I can expand my horizons a little, see how my views hold up to others and learn how others think.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 30, 2015 3:16 PM

Aug 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
What, and sitting in silence is somehow better?

No one is going to change their mind quickly, but if you always argue and debate, expose yourself to different viewpoints your views will get more solid. You will gain more experience, and be better at explaining yourself.

I don't get into a debate with hoping one of us willdo a 180. I just hope I can expand my horizons a little, see how my views hold up to others and learn how others think.

Not wanting to sound bad, but I really cannot grasp why time - or insistence - would have anything to do with another one's change of mind.

The "experience part" seems somewhat legit though :)
Jun 30, 2015 3:22 PM

Oct 2011
I suppose it's way more entertaining than everyone just replying to an OP's question with little to no interaction/engagement resulting in a locked thread and a waste of nobody's time.

Jun 30, 2015 7:15 PM

Nov 2014
MaiTai said:
I suppose it's way more entertaining than everyone just replying to an OP's question with little to no interaction/engagement resulting in a locked thread and a waste of nobody's time.

We have something called discussion. It's great. Just exchanging ideas does not mean you are not actively engaged in the topic, knowing more about fellow users, and 'extend the horizon'.
Haruhi ism
It's fun, isn't it?

Jun 30, 2015 7:34 PM

Jun 2015
Because I'm bored and have nothing else to do.

I don't see any other reason why I'll spend my time and mental resources on random people of the Internet.
-_-
Jun 30, 2015 8:05 PM

Oct 2012
yaiba064 said:
katsucats said:
Oh yes it is. Being anonymous gives people the pertinent factor, they tend to think higher of themselves more often than behind the screens.
What does people thinking higher of themselves have to do with people being wrong?
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 30, 2015 8:51 PM

Dec 2011
For the sake of interest and entertainment over the internet.

Edit: Or
DramaticBucket said:
Because I'm bored and have nothing else to do.
Jul 1, 2015 12:06 AM

Nov 2014
katsucats said:
yaiba064 said:
What does people thinking higher of themselves have to do with people being wrong?

I did not say anything about being in the wrong or right. Right or wrong is not a concept known to others but human so it's not objective. It simply means that when people think higher of themselves, they are more stubborn and less reasonable, thus leads to unnecessary provocations.
Haruhi ism
It's fun, isn't it?

Jul 1, 2015 12:23 AM

Apr 2015
"What's the point of arguing?"

"What's the point of shit posting?"

"What's the point of trolling?"

"What's the point of religion?"

"What's the point of god?"

"What's the point of hard-working?"

"What's the point of happiness?"

"What's the point of living?"

And then, the lonely boy, end up suicide, alone.... T_T
WEABOO SCIENTIST
Jul 1, 2015 12:48 AM

Apr 2014
Knowing other's opinion is interesting, I often change my mind when the other person has a point, I just don't tell them right away. Also it's fun to watch other passionately trying to make you change your opinion while you don't give a single fuck.

"Ah, what? What? Who are you? Ahh another Undead, eh? I took on Sen's Fortress alone... But I'm no different from those vile creatures... I was driven by conceit... Ahh, you think you're different? That you can handle it? Yes, I remember that feeling. For I was the same... So let me help you out. With your souls searching."
Crestfallen Merchant
Jul 1, 2015 1:33 AM

Jun 2014
So you can get the better of one another.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jul 24, 2015 7:26 PM
Jun 2015
People like causing drama with others. Point blank and simple.
Jul 24, 2015 11:31 PM
Jul 2018
It's a complete waste of time. Continue to think the way you do and move along.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you live with regrets?

Lightskynight - Apr 18

22 by _Nette_ »»
20 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

54 by traed »»
50 minutes ago

» whats your shoe size ?

sussybakagirl420 - Mar 22

27 by cody »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - Apr 24

24 by Zedlin »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

70 by Zedlin »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.