Forum Settings
Forums

What have you considered to be an effective (sad) backstory in anime and how and why has it strengthed the plot or character?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 26, 2015 12:46 AM

Sep 2014
The Fate series, yo.

It's all about how backstories effect the characters.
The sun is a deadly laser
Apr 26, 2015 12:48 AM

May 2014
mira-nyan said:
The Fate series, yo.

plz no x_x
i get kiri, but shirou has more interesting development during the series then back story.
Apr 26, 2015 12:52 AM

Sep 2014
WAD1992 said:
mira-nyan said:
The Fate series, yo.

plz no x_x
i get kiri, but shirou has more interesting development during the series then back story.

You've literally only mentioned the MCs of the FZ and SN.

I said Fate series. Which includes Extra, Unlimited Codes, Apocryoha, Ataraxia, etc.

And, like I said, you've only mentioned Shirou and Kerry.

I'm specifically talking about the servants/HS. The way we see them is the way they became because of their death. Especially, Archer. Who is a great example of this, after how much he changed, both physically and mentally.
The sun is a deadly laser
Apr 26, 2015 6:36 AM

Oct 2010
I am not sure but probably One Piece, Nami.

Aside from being the definitive turning point of this series' experience when it comes to quality and involvement, the way it has affected the character remains subtler than other instances, but still is heavily rooted in many of her decisions in the story.

Over the arcs and while other backstories in the series have been more screwed up -though it's hers the one that has creepier implications- their consequences are usually quite black or white, in the sense that the characters either become unable to move on from their past (being essentially victims) or their backstories provoke an inspirational aura in them to change or boost their motivations (becoming assertive characters). Nami's stays in a middle ground that I find more satisfying in the bigger picture, her past shows these two sides very clearly, and her consequentially shaped personality has traces of both.

Talking about the past more in specific...

jal90Apr 26, 2015 6:39 AM
Apr 26, 2015 6:39 AM

May 2014
jal90 said:
I am not sure but probably One Piece, Nami.

Aside from being the definitive turning point of this series' experience when it comes to quality and involvement, the way it has affected the character remains subtler than other instances, but still is heavily rooted in many of her decisions in the story.

Over the arcs and while other backstories in the series have been more screwed up -though it's hers the one that has creepier implications- their consequences are usually quite black or white, in the sense that the characters either become unable to move on from their past (being essentially victims) or their backstories provoke an inspirational aura in them to change or boost their motivations (becoming assertive characters). Nami's stays in a middle ground that I find more satisfying in the bigger picture, her past shows these two sides very clearly, and her consequentially shaped personality has traces of both.

Talking about the past in specific...

u are such a fanboy when it comes to nami :3
but i do see why XD
Apr 26, 2015 6:46 AM

Nov 2014
The count's backstory in Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo was very well done. They kept dropping hints as to what happened to him in the past throughout the show and kept dropping hints as to why the characters behaved the way they did. This made the plot twists of the show really great and gave them a lot more impact.

The show would have been a perfect 10/10 for me if not for the other main character (Albert) who was a whiny annoying piece of shit that ruined an otherwise amazing show.
Apr 26, 2015 8:51 AM

Oct 2013
mira-nyan said:
The Fate series, yo.

Are you talking about the animu or the vn? Because the ubw anime does backstories worth a shit so far.
I'd go with emobubbles, but someone else already had it, damn bastard.
Apr 26, 2015 6:46 PM

Apr 2015
To tell the truth, I used to find Lucy Heartfilia a bit annoying until I got used to her and her back story. I thought what she did was really brave and I felt it kind of gave her a purpose to be where she was
Apr 26, 2015 9:26 PM

Jun 2014
Sakura64 said:
To tell the truth, I used to find Lucy Heartfilia a bit annoying until I got used to her and her back story. I thought what she did was really brave and I felt it kind of gave her a purpose to be where she was

She's still one of the worst MC's in anime.
Apr 28, 2015 1:29 AM

Jun 2014
Faye's backstory in Cowboy Bebop. At the start, I wasn't super touched by it, but then...
Apr 28, 2015 1:33 AM
Oct 2010
I think I have to second kenshin, it's also one of the few tragic back stories where the MC brought it upon himself.
Apr 28, 2015 3:52 AM

May 2013
I consider a character's backstory as a adding to the depth and I really love that but I just don't want to seem glimpses of it (i remebered something).

And Madoka episode 10
The world shall know the truth soon.
Apr 28, 2015 4:02 AM

Jun 2014
Syndiciate said:
Sakura64 said:

She's still one of the worst MC's in anime.

Way too much screen time in the wrong areas, if you know what I mean ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
All credit goes to Sacred.
Apr 28, 2015 8:13 AM

Feb 2015
Naruto (the anime, not the character) had some pretty sad flashbacks, especially in the beginning.
Apr 30, 2015 3:42 PM

Jan 2015
One Piece back stories are the best (except the Zoro's)
Also madoka episode 10.
May 1, 2015 1:39 AM
Jun 2014
KawaiiWeeabz said:
NGE

Yeah I totally agree. Everyone's backstory really helped me understand the characters and justified the way they acted. For this reason, I'm not a big fan of the rebuilds; they cut out most of the characters' backstories and they became much more bland and uninteresting :/
May 1, 2015 3:54 AM

Dec 2014
You kill a cutie, you ll obtain a masterpiece
May 1, 2015 7:22 AM

Nov 2010
One Piece's easily, each one is linked to the character's motivations and values.
May 1, 2015 7:56 AM

Aug 2014
Obito from Naruto. Everything he went through from losing the love of his life right before his eyes to being manipulated into a puppet of Madara while walking down a path of loneliness and bearing a grudge against one of the few people who wanted to save him for so long.

Or Kiritsugu from Fate/Zero, to see his own friends and having to kill everyone he held dearly for the sake of humanity...took quite the toll on him.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Anime you would watch if it never ended

ST63LTH - 29 minutes ago

3 by APolygons2 »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » anime is trash and so am i

deg - 6 hours ago

28 by FanofAction »»
27 minutes ago

» Your favorite anime OP

Goblingaming - 3 hours ago

26 by Daviljoe193 »»
28 minutes ago

Poll: » Japanese Anime and its Relationship to the Source Material vs Western Media

LSSJ_Gaming - 5 hours ago

13 by traed »»
39 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you think 3-episode reviews are valid? ( 1 2 )

GoatPieceLuffy - Apr 29

52 by delirific »»
49 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.