Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 7, 2015 9:09 AM

Jun 2007
Only on MAL would a thread be created criticising hand-drawn/painted backgrounds in an age of easy-lazy computer graphic fixes. The only redeeming factor about the anime so far, and rather than be bothered by the two timeskips and empty shock value / SHINGEKI X VAMPIRE ORIGINALITY... the effort put into the backgrounds is the problem. Really?...

The first episode was like a flashback to the 80-90's, remastered in HD. It added charm to what would've been bland environments. Shame the next episode switches from post-apoc generica to school generica. Don't think the hand-drawn/painted backgrounds were shown in the preview.
Apr 7, 2015 9:47 AM

Dec 2012
it doesn't matter for me
Apr 7, 2015 10:41 AM

Dec 2012
Nah, that water paint background is the shit. It's great.
Apr 7, 2015 9:38 PM
Jan 2014
I'm not weirded out at the fact that I'm getting bashed for this topic at all, as everybody is entitled to their own opinions and the like, but I'm weirded out at the fact that I'm being bashed for the wrong reasons. People are under the assumption that I dislike the painted backgrounds and don't appreciate the artistry behind it. I definitely appreciate it. My problem is the fact that it doesn't match the characters at all and the character + background interactions and how the look of the two styles contrast so much to the point where THAT bothers me.
Apr 8, 2015 6:19 AM

Jan 2013
HarmonicDX said:
I'm not weirded out at the fact that I'm getting bashed for this topic at all, as everybody is entitled to their own opinions and the like, but I'm weirded out at the fact that I'm being bashed for the wrong reasons. People are under the assumption that I dislike the painted backgrounds and don't appreciate the artistry behind it. I definitely appreciate it. My problem is the fact that it doesn't match the characters at all and the character + background interactions and how the look of the two styles contrast so much to the point where THAT bothers me.

Yeah, it's like watching a play. Background looks like painted stage props.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Apr 8, 2015 8:19 AM

Dec 2013
The backgrounds really do feel like paintings in an animated world, CGi would've had more depth than what the first episode tried to accomplish.
Apr 8, 2015 8:39 AM

Nov 2014
Even if, the plot seems to be really good and well thought out so far
Are you really getting bothered by these backgrounds?
I like them, they're great imo
Apr 9, 2015 7:53 AM
Jul 2018
waterflame said:
In other news, you're retarded.
The backgrounds are stunningly beautiful. I can keep watching this show solely for enjoying these backgrounds, no matter what the story turns out to be. I bet WIT poured some big ass budget into drawing all those gorgeous backgrounds.
Apr 10, 2015 1:44 AM

Jul 2011
But the backgrounds look great.
Apr 12, 2015 2:09 PM

Dec 2009
Backgrounds and animation have different styles, which can led to the impression that characters are detached from the background. You can't say backgrounds are poorly made, though. They're actually one of the best things of this series. And animation's excellent though.

Have a look HERE. (gallery made by LightBladeX)
Apr 19, 2015 1:54 PM

Jul 2014
Yeah, they seem dissonant with the characters. While I appreciate the effort, I'd rather see characters mesh and interact with their surroundings.
Apr 22, 2015 2:02 PM

Dec 2013
I actually really appreciate the fact that they went out of their way to create hand-painted backgrounds in this day and age.

It's pretty much the only outstanding aspect of this show.
Apr 24, 2015 5:46 AM

Jun 2008
I actually think the background is really beautiful even though i get what you meant by they look out of place. It's probably the outline of the character design that made it more obvious instead of blending in with the environment. I think it's unique on its way by doing things this way though. :P I wonder if the thick outline of the character designs is becoming a signature style of Wit Studio.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 25, 2015 11:22 AM

Jan 2012
It didn't really bother me but since it was pointed out it's true that it somehow feels out of place...
The backgrounds are pretty but as people above me said it kinda feels like a play... especially the bridge scene anyway...
Apr 25, 2015 2:10 PM

Mar 2014
Snaita said:
HarmonicDX said:
Everything, and absolutely everything is just straight up obvious backdrop animation. If it's not going to be touched in the scene, it's a backdrop, even down to that teddybear. I know other anime and cartoons do it, but they make it less obvious and there's always something else going on. This one just...doesn't bother. I hope that's changed later.

I feel you, this type of background is horrendous in here, there is no consistency in the animation, the characters feel out of place.
The background looks like those old ass Disney movies, how come people like it?! It isn't even a matter of taste... Animation evolved too sudden regress to this? If there is a fight what would happen to a person thrown to a wall? How would the wall break apart?? It just smells low cost.

You lost all credibility the moment you said "old ass Disney movies". Damn, can't people appreciate anything these days? I love anime but nothing will ever beat that feel of hand drawn animation

Regression? Not a matter of taste? Do you realise how dumb that sounds, we're talking about visuals, it's ALL about taste.

The backgrounds are great and they really fit the style of the world IMO. I never felt like the characters were out of place in it either, in fact I had to look up an episode to even see what you were talking about
Apr 25, 2015 3:17 PM

Jul 2011
The backgrounds aren't bad, I quite agree with the others that they look stunning in some shots, but they don't fit with the rest of the animation, or even the tone of the show.

With the characters having such bright colours and thick outline, they look copy-pasted and they give me the same jarring feeling like watching an obvious green screen effect.

IMO, the effort and talent put into those painted backgrounds are being wasted here.
Apr 25, 2015 3:27 PM

Apr 2014
The backgrounds don't really bother me, it's really the character... art? I don't know if there's a specific word for it.
I think the backgrounds are great, it's the animation in the characters; it's super bland.
Though whenever I see people dressed in that green/black clothing, it makes things better. I'm just waiting till they wear that more often and I'll feel better.
Apr 25, 2015 10:22 PM

Oct 2013
You're insane. The backgrounds are absolutely beautiful and the overall colour palettes of the show fits so well with the whole dark supernatural theme. It's refreshing to see painted backgrounds. Imagine how long it takes to paint jeez!
Apr 25, 2015 10:26 PM

Jun 2014
Jun 16, 2015 10:46 PM

Nov 2008
LauraBirdie said:
Snaita said:

I feel you, this type of background is horrendous in here, there is no consistency in the animation, the characters feel out of place.
The background looks like those old ass Disney movies, how come people like it?! It isn't even a matter of taste... Animation evolved too sudden regress to this? If there is a fight what would happen to a person thrown to a wall? How would the wall break apart?? It just smells low cost.

You lost all credibility the moment you said "old ass Disney movies". Damn, can't people appreciate anything these days? I love anime but nothing will ever beat that feel of hand drawn animation

OMG THIS. The backgrounds are so beautiful. I think they work fine. They remind me of the backgrounds Don Bluth used for his animated movies and are positively enchanting for old-school animation fanatics like myself!
When America got pulled into the 'CGI ANIMATED MOVIES ONLY" era, nobody, NOBODY kicked and screamed more than I did......

Jun 17, 2015 1:56 AM
May 2015
wallflowr said:
You're insane. The backgrounds are absolutely beautiful and the overall colour palettes of the show fits so well with the whole dark supernatural theme. It's refreshing to see painted backgrounds. Imagine how long it takes to paint jeez!
Jun 17, 2015 3:01 AM
Apr 2015
The backgrounds are stunning, I'll give them that. But... It feels like the characters are playing in front of a green screen... Or like a stage play with a very static background.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Owari no Seraph Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 25, 2015

260 by Salomikee »»
Apr 6, 11:48 AM

» Will this come to crunchyroll soon?

Rockyjams909 - Apr 5

7 by _Blossom18_ »»
Apr 5, 4:03 PM

Poll: » Owari no Seraph Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 4, 2015

599 by voshi »»
Mar 24, 9:29 AM

» Is it a good idea to watch this show? ( 1 2 )

boyswhatup - May 30, 2023

50 by RulyKinkajou59 »»
Mar 10, 4:47 AM

Poll: » Who should Yuno marry?

Lost_Hearts - Dec 17, 2023

6 by NaLu4lifee »»
Jan 17, 11:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.