Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (26) « First ... « 14 15 [16] 17 18 » ... Last »
Apr 11, 2015 5:57 PM

Aug 2010
Maloghurst said:

and just a little bit of poinless fanboy gripping. Why the hell is that magus using technology? technology is an abomination to a mage it's just world inconsistency.

That part stood out for me as well, but when i thought about it, it made sense.
Magi consider technology inelegant, yeah, but they sure as hell don't involve innocent civilians in their endeavors either. Not even the guy in your spoiler could do it when he blew up that hotel.
Now, this guy uses technology AND slave children to generate mana. It's obvious that he has absolutely no respect for the association's rules.
Apr 11, 2015 5:59 PM

Jul 2007
astroprogs said:
Maloghurst said:

and just a little bit of poinless fanboy gripping. Why the hell is that magus using technology? technology is an abomination to a mage it's just world inconsistency.

Magi consider technology inelegant, yeah, but they sure as hell don't involve innocent civilians in their endeavors either. Not even the guy in your spoiler could do it when he blew up that hotel.
Now, this guy uses technology AND slave children to generate mana. It's obvious that he has absolutely no respect for the association's rules.

TBH the whole scene felt forced and "grimderp" for the hell of it.

The meido deaths felt more natural but the "liquifying children" part was just cringey "you tried too hard" kind of thing trying to appeal to all the grimdark zero secondaries.
Apr 11, 2015 6:00 PM

Nov 2014
astroprogs said:
Maloghurst said:

Considering the amount of wealth he has, he might not be hindered by the associations guidelines. Even then, I'm pretty sure other mages would despise him but they can't really do anything about it without incurring his wrath. Magical expertise is like an indicator of power and influence in this universe much like money is.

[quote=CookingPriest]
astroprogs said:
Maloghurst said:

Are you suggesting that it's outlandish for people to slaughter a largely ignored demographic to generate power/profit? Oh wait, people do that in the real world.

Apr 11, 2015 6:02 PM

Dec 2013
Nice episode. Great to see Gil! I can't wait for Berserker vs Gil.

astroprogs said:
Maloghurst said:

LMAO dat signature. I think I replayed that scene heaps of times.
Apr 11, 2015 6:08 PM

Sep 2014
CookingPriest said:
astroprogs said:

TBH the whole scene felt forced and "grimderp" for the hell of it.

The meido deaths felt more natural but the "liquifying children" part was just cringey "you tried too hard" kind of thing trying to appeal to all the grimdark zero secondaries.
it felt that way a little bit once again falling into my fanservice > character gripe. as for him using people? it's not really all that unheard of for a mage to use people to generate mana...it's aberrant, disgusting, yes but not as out there as the tech... did any mages from Yggdrmillenia use tech?
Apr 11, 2015 6:10 PM

Nov 2014
I think caster summed up the tech stuff with her comment on wealth pretty well.

A mage is rational so they will use every tool at their disposal. Wealth is a tool. Technology is a tool. Since the purpose of many mages is to discover higher tiers of magic or more implementations of magic, and technology can augment the process, using it isn't really that out of place.

Apr 11, 2015 6:11 PM

Nov 2014
Well.....that could've gone better. I really would have preferred Caster's actual past rather than some filler scenes with her pathetic master, but I guess it's fine. I'm actually liking (or in this case, liked) Sella a lot, wish she had more screen time. Worry not, though, Dr. Gilgamesh is on the scene!

3/5.
Apr 11, 2015 6:20 PM

Aug 2008
Almost the entire episode was anime only material (although granted, Caster's past was very loosely based on the VN's, since we didn't really explore her past except that it mentioned she had a cruel master, forcing her to defect to Kuzuki).

I'm glad they gave Illya more screen time though.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Apr 11, 2015 6:21 PM

May 2013
Damn Gil is pretty brutal.
Apr 11, 2015 6:22 PM

Nov 2014
Cheeeeeeese said:
Damn Gil is pretty brutal.

swords don't kill people. gil kills people

Apr 11, 2015 6:26 PM

Sep 2014
SwordHand said:

A mage is rational so they will use every tool at their disposal. Wealth is a tool. Technology is a tool. Since the purpose of many mages is to discover higher tiers of magic or more implementations of magic, and technology can augment the process, using it isn't really that out of place.
aside from
who are some other mages that really looked at tech as something other than an abysmal?
Apr 11, 2015 6:33 PM
Sep 2010
Man there is so much hate on no monologuing and anime original stuff. As someone who hasn't read the VN I think UBW is one of the better anime out there so far and tells a pretty good story.

The anime shows me that Shirou's goal in life is to save ppl because of his past and that Archer is his clear foil. Yeah I'm not going to understand him as well as if I read the VN but it's still enjoyable.

Also I think that the original Caster stuff was important since viewers only saw her as a generic villain until this episode.
Apr 11, 2015 6:34 PM

Mar 2013
It's like you can't just kill people for no good reason anymore, everybody just screams grimdark and writes it off like it's nothing.

Maloghurst said:
SwordHand said:

aside from
who are some other mages that really looked at tech as something other than an abysmal?

But what if it's magical technology?

I mean, what the fuck is the difference then?

fimbu1vetr said:
Also I think that the original Caster stuff was important since viewers only saw her as a generic villain until this episode.

Draining the city of mana aside... she's as generic of a villain as Kiritsugu in Zero, in many ways.

And I mean that in the sense that they do like comic book villain things, except they do it successfully without being foiled by the hero at the end.
Apr 11, 2015 6:38 PM

Jun 2012
Avok said:

As an anime-only watcher I have no problems with this episode whatsoever.

I agree. Ah, the benefits of not having to stress about those things, even if we're looked down upon by the VN readers and others. I'm enjoying it, that is what matters most to me :)

Apr 11, 2015 6:40 PM

May 2010
Wow, I really liked the backstory of Caster. I've read about her mythology origin, and she really doesn't look too much like a sane, nice person ;_; So I don't really understand Kirei's "this is how you interpreted the stories of princess Medea?"

I'm pretty sure that nobody (besides huh, Archer?) can stop the blond-guy now (it's not easy to not call him by his epic name).
Apr 11, 2015 6:40 PM

Jul 2014
Caster back-story doesn't have the same impact like VN V_V........... ( and that's one of the scenes i'm looking forward to see)

And now,,,, can't wait for Doctor Gilgamesh ;)
(Hope they don't downgrade Gil power)
Apr 11, 2015 6:41 PM

May 2009
julyan said:
I still won't fall for that additional 7 minutes in the BD. There was almost no addition in the S1 BD.
We got the scenes that were advertised as additonal material for S1. The seven minutes have been confirmed by ufotable (and pre-screeners).
Apr 11, 2015 6:42 PM

Mar 2015
fst said:

Draining the city of mana aside... she's as generic of a villain as Kiritsugu in Zero, in many ways.

And I mean that in the sense that they do like comic book villain things, except they do it successfully without being foiled by the hero at the end.

Can you explain this better?
Apr 11, 2015 6:43 PM

Nov 2011
Some of you V/N readers are complaining about all the filler content in this episode but I think the "filler" is a nice addition to the story in comparison to what we get in the V/N.

We don't really get to see the context of what happened to Caster's master other than that "she killed him" in the V/N. In the Anime, we get to see more of what went on with Caster beforehand.

We also do not get to see Gilgamesh's entrance in the V/N either iirc. You can call this filler, but I think it is a nice addition to the anime.

In other words, just because the Anime has scenes not shown in the V/N doesn't necessarily make it "bad". On the contrary, these extra scenes could actually work to make it better than the V/N .

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Apr 11, 2015 6:44 PM

Jan 2011
Finally got to see Stella and tears ;-;
Apr 11, 2015 6:46 PM

Mar 2013
MightyM16 said:
fst said:

Kiritsugu:

No convenient examples to quote for Caster, but not being able to find the Grail aside, she's been similarly flawless to date.

Also, she's a cheater.
Apr 11, 2015 6:47 PM
Sep 2010
fst said:

I mean not generic as in you get to understand her motivation in the war, her backstory, and also how much stronger she is than a normal mage, which isn't that obvious when she faced Rin in ep 13.
Apr 11, 2015 6:48 PM
Apr 2012
Kitsu-nee said:
I've read about her mythology origin, and she really doesn't look too much like a sane, nice person ;_; So I don't really understand Kirei's "this is how you interpreted the stories of princess Medea?"

Pretty much, her Master interpreted it as Medea just being a betrayer, a witch with no remorse, which is why he so distrusting. Kotomine implies that you can also look at her stories from a more sympathetic perspective, since she constantly got screwed over by the gods, Jason, and eventually everyone.
And thank you for not using the gold guy's "epic name".
Apr 11, 2015 6:54 PM
Oct 2010
Read the VN years ago and I thought this episode was PRETTY interesting.

People who are complaining are the same that complaims about all the adaptations in every media.

Some people shoudn`t watch adaptations... As far as watch UBW anime proposes, it is doing pretty good. Way better than that shit we saw years ago.
Apr 11, 2015 6:55 PM

Mar 2015
fst said:
MightyM16 said:

Kiritsugu:

No convenient examples to quote for Caster, but not being able to find the Grail aside, she's been similarly flawless to date.

Also, she's a cheater.

I guess I got it

But I still think they are very complex characters to be called that.
Apr 11, 2015 7:04 PM

Mar 2013
MightyM16 said:
fst said:

Kiritsugu:

Also, she's a cheater.

I guess I got it

Well yes

I was only commenting on that one aspect of their actions.

Actually you could Argue that Kiritsugu is a villain too since
Apr 11, 2015 7:07 PM

Sep 2014
fst said:
MightyM16 said:

I guess I got it

Well yes

I was only commenting on that one aspect of their actions.

Actually you could Argue that Kiritsugu is a villain too since
Apr 11, 2015 7:13 PM

Aug 2012
I think Rin and Archer will intervene forcing Gil to retreat otherwise he could easily slay Berserker.
Apr 11, 2015 7:16 PM

Mar 2015
Vellamo said:
I think Rin and Archer will intervene forcing Gil to retreat otherwise he could easily slay Berserker.

Archer isn't with them anymore tho
Apr 11, 2015 7:19 PM

Aug 2012
MightyM16 said:
Vellamo said:

Lol yea I totally forgot. :/ but we know he's just onto something, didn't genuinely leave them.
Apr 11, 2015 7:19 PM

Mar 2013
MightyM16 said:
Vellamo said:

Archer does what he wants

#independentaction
Apr 11, 2015 7:24 PM

Dec 2014
i laugh so hard at rin scene get trap explode

waiting for next episode berseker vs gilgamesh!
Apr 11, 2015 7:25 PM

Mar 2015
Vellamo said:
MightyM16 said:

Lol yea I totally forgot. :/ but we know he's just onto something, didn't genuinely leave them.

I doubt he would leave Caster so soon

Zerk is alone on this one I think
Apr 11, 2015 7:40 PM

Aug 2012
MightyM16 said:
Vellamo said:

I doubt he would leave Caster so soon

Zerk is alone on this one I think

Most probably yea. But Rin still has her magic. We're talking about Gilgamesh though. :D
Apr 11, 2015 7:44 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
I look forward to Gilgamesh vs. Berserker in next episode. ^_^ This should be awesome.

Also, Rin getting flown away from setting a trap explode, lol.
Apr 11, 2015 7:44 PM

Jan 2013
Yay, some action in the end.
Good episode pretty much.
Apr 11, 2015 7:48 PM
Jul 2018
I liked Caster's backstory, I feel bad for her being called a witch.

Whoa damn, Illya's two servants got f*cked, and now the hype Berserker vs Shinji's servant!

Looking forward to next week.
Apr 11, 2015 8:10 PM

May 2010
jmcm30 said:
Kitsu-nee said:
I've read about her mythology origin, and she really doesn't look too much like a sane, nice person ;_; So I don't really understand Kirei's "this is how you interpreted the stories of princess Medea?"

Pretty much, her Master interpreted it as Medea just being a betrayer, a witch with no remorse, which is why he so distrusting. Kotomine implies that you can also look at her stories from a more sympathetic perspective, since she constantly got screwed over by the gods, Jason, and eventually everyone.

Yeeeah, I guessed it'd be something like that. I still don't buy it, from what I've read up on the Internet her actions weren't just something trivial. I know, jealous and stuff, but that was some serious, insane shit imo.
For the sake of enjoying the anime I'll go with 'she's-not-actually-bad-only-misunderstood' thing, here she was portreyed much more nicely, I guess.
Anyway, thanks for explaining it.
Apr 11, 2015 8:15 PM

May 2014
Kitsu-nee said:
jmcm30 said:

Yeeeah, I guessed it'd be something like that. I still don't buy it, from what I've read up on the Internet her actions weren't just something trivial. I know, jealous and stuff, but that was some serious, insane shit imo.
For the sake of enjoying the anime I'll go with 'she's-not-actually-bad-only-misunderstood' thing, here she was portreyed much more nicely, I guess.
Anyway, thanks for explaining it.

They cover her lore in F/HA and it's a Nasuverse take in her legend. With magic and guff. It was pretty brutal for her, she still ends up pretty crazy at the end but it certainly made me feel sorry for her.

I was hoping they would put a bit more of that into this episode but I guess they're planning to adapt that later too.
Apr 11, 2015 8:20 PM

Aug 2010
Here's a quote from the Type-Moon wiki about Medea. The shit that happens to her makes you really sympathize with her:
TM said:
Jason argued with King Pelias, the usurper of his father's country Iolcos, and eventually made him promise to return the country upon traveling far east to Colchis and returning with the Golden Fleece. He was supported by the Goddess Aphrodite, and upon realizing that the King of Colchis was unshakable, she decided to control Medea's mind to help Jason. Medea was made to blindly love Jason, which resulted in her betraying her father and her country for a foreigner she had never seen. Her abilities allowed her to nullify her father's magic and the enchanted fire-breathing oxen, which gave Jason the chance to obtain the Golden Fleece.

King Aeetes was infuriated, and decided to personally lead his army to capture Jason before he left the country. Aphrodite once again used Medea to assist Jason's escape by forcing her to kill her own brother, Apsyrtus. While she only knew Jason by name, her forced love caused her to board his ship, the Argo, and slice her brother into pieces right before the eyes of her pursing father. The King, overcome by grief, ordered for the collection of the pieces of his dead son, which allowed for the opportunity for the Argo to escape its pursuers.

And that's one small part of the tragedy.
Apr 11, 2015 8:24 PM

Jan 2013
God, this second season is gonna be dragged out. It was a mistake to make that short storyline into 2-cour.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Apr 11, 2015 8:51 PM

Oct 2014
DawnJ said:
God, this second season is gonna be dragged out. It was a mistake to make that short storyline into 2-cour.

They have plenty of stuff to put in tbh.
Apr 11, 2015 8:56 PM

Aug 2013
Wow another excellent episode, first showing the story of a servant, and his motivation to fight, there was also comical scenes with Rin again and so I was even very excited from midway through, was a great development

Finally appears one that in my opinion is one of the worst villains of 'Fate', as I got mad at Gilgamesh, as well as Kirei, even so I really like the struggles of Gilgamesh, which has an overwhelming power, but now will face a very strong opponent also, can not wait to see this fight ..
Apr 11, 2015 8:59 PM

Sep 2014
drama_menck said:
Wow another excellent episode, first showing the story of a servant, and his motivation to fight, there was also comical scenes with Rin again and so I was even very excited from midway through, was a great development

Finally appears one that in my opinion is one of the worst villains of 'Fate', as I got mad at Gilgamesh, as well as Kirei, even so I really like the struggles of Gilgamesh, which has an overwhelming power, but now will face a very strong opponent also, can not wait to see this fight ..
can servants kill shinji?
Apr 11, 2015 9:00 PM

Aug 2010
Anime original content was nice and works since it was pretty much off screen in the VN. Gil was pretty brutal and I think they're doing a good job in making him someone to fear in the anime because I didn't feel that way at all in the VN. Found the beheading scene pretty funny.

Gil vs Berserker should be epic. Just hope they animate it well.
Apr 11, 2015 9:07 PM

Mar 2015
Ragna92 said:
Anime original content was nice and works since it was pretty much off screen in the VN. Gil was pretty brutal and I think they're doing a good job in making him someone to fear in the anime because I didn't feel that way at all in the VN. Found the beheading scene pretty funny.

Y-y-you monster, think of poor Sella ;___;
Apr 11, 2015 9:15 PM

Jul 2007
I give up on ever trying to report all the idiots spoiling Goldie's identity. HOLY SHIT.

astroprogs said:
Here's a quote from the Type-Moon wiki about Medea. The shit that happens to her makes you really sympathize with her:
TM said:
Jason argued with King Pelias, the usurper of his father's country Iolcos, and eventually made him promise to return the country upon traveling far east to Colchis and returning with the Golden Fleece. He was supported by the Goddess Aphrodite, and upon realizing that the King of Colchis was unshakable, she decided to control Medea's mind to help Jason. Medea was made to blindly love Jason, which resulted in her betraying her father and her country for a foreigner she had never seen. Her abilities allowed her to nullify her father's magic and the enchanted fire-breathing oxen, which gave Jason the chance to obtain the Golden Fleece.

King Aeetes was infuriated, and decided to personally lead his army to capture Jason before he left the country. Aphrodite once again used Medea to assist Jason's escape by forcing her to kill her own brother, Apsyrtus. While she only knew Jason by name, her forced love caused her to board his ship, the Argo, and slice her brother into pieces right before the eyes of her pursing father. The King, overcome by grief, ordered for the collection of the pieces of his dead son, which allowed for the opportunity for the Argo to escape its pursuers.

And that's one small part of the tragedy.

TBH what makes me like Medea is what happens AFTER that and how she deals with that foreign country's perception of her, left all alone there.

All of that gone from the adaptation.

DarkShards said:
Some of you V/N readers are complaining about all the filler content in this episode but I think the "filler" is a nice addition to the story in comparison to what we get in the V/N.

We don't really get to see the context of what happened to Caster's master other than that "she killed him" in the V/N. In the Anime, we get to see more of what went on with Caster beforehand.

We also do not get to see Gilgamesh's entrance in the V/N either iirc. You can call this filler, but I think it is a nice addition to the anime.

In other words, just because the Anime has scenes not shown in the V/N doesn't necessarily make it "bad". On the contrary, these extra scenes could actually work to make it better than the V/N .

WE DO NOT NEED CONTEXT FOR CASTER'S PREVIOUS MASTER.

You know what we do need? Caster's characterization.
The stuff that makes us care of like her.

Kitsu-nee said:
Wow, I really liked the backstory of Caster. I've read about her mythology origin, and she really doesn't look too much like a sane, nice person ;_; So I don't really understand Kirei's "this is how you interpreted the stories of princess Medea?"

I'm pretty sure that nobody (besides huh, Archer?) can stop the blond-guy now (it's not easy to not call him by his epic name).

Thank the adaptation for actually skipping her backstory and her worldview.

Her mythology origin is just one side of the story.

fimbu1vetr said:
Man there is so much hate on no monologuing and anime original stuff. As someone who hasn't read the VN I think UBW is one of the better anime out there so far and tells a pretty good story.

The anime shows me that Shirou's goal in life is to save ppl because of his past and that Archer is his clear foil. Yeah I'm not going to understand him as well as if I read the VN but it's still enjoyable.

Except that nobody fucking mentioned monologues. Stop strawmaning.

The caster filler did not help to develop her as not a generic villain. You know what would? Her actual backstory that they skipped and that would have set up as an interesting gray morality figure that is neither villain nor a hero.

Maloghurst said:
SwordHand said:

aside from

apart from ygmillenias in Apocrypha who are UNCONVENTIONAL AS ALL HELL absolutely nobody.

It is just one of many non canon aspects of ufofsn.
Apr 11, 2015 9:17 PM

Aug 2010
OneTrueEmiya said:
Ragna92 said:

What I mean is wouldn't expect a scene like that in Fate. Felt like Game of thrones or something for a second. I also found it weird to see Gil behead someone. It just felt pretty random in general.
Apr 11, 2015 9:20 PM

Mar 2015
Ragna92 said:
OneTrueEmiya said:

What I mean is wouldn't expect a scene like that in Fate. Felt like Game of thrones or something for a second. I also found it weird to see Gil behead someone. It just felt pretty random in general.

Well, Fate isn't all rosy and nice from now on. After all, this is a war, people will start dying ;_;
Apr 11, 2015 9:21 PM

Aug 2010
Ragna92 said:
OneTrueEmiya said:

A true king punishes his subjects if he respected them enough.
That's how he shows his kindness as their ruler.
Pages (26) « First ... « 14 15 [16] 17 18 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Apr 11, 2015

1719 by icim_fitto »»
Apr 27, 4:58 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Apr 4, 2015

1557 by Swatheesh123 »»
Apr 9, 8:52 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Jun 13, 2015

1574 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 29, 12:29 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - May 17, 2015

1448 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 29, 9:40 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - May 9, 2015

1316 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 29, 9:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.