Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 14, 2015 3:48 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Glad to see Ronja and Birk getting along well again this episode.

As for elsewhere, we have more family drama feud. These people just never seems to get along. I like the look in Ronaj's father's eyess though. Expecting an amusing duel next time in action.
Mar 14, 2015 5:23 PM

Dec 2011
It's wonderful to see the robbers getting rescued from jail, but I didn't expect that this would happen before Matt and Borka joined forces. But in the end it made sense; because Matt was nice enough to allow Borka's men hitch a ride home, Borka reciprocated by warning Matt about the soldiers. And this ultimately led to Matt accepting Skalle-Per's advice.

Even if the very title of the next episode, 'one strong band of robbers', does not spoil the outcome of the match, we know they're going to be one band by next ep (and that must be great news for Ronja and Birk).

But I think all this excitement about joining forces pales in comparison to the moment when Ronja offers an opposing view (it's best to quit being a robber), and when Skalle-Per later follows this up by telling Mattis that there are people who can make a living without having to steal.
Mar 15, 2015 12:27 PM
Feb 2015
SaneSavantElla said:

But I think all this excitement about joining forces pales in comparison to the moment when Ronja offers an opposing view (it's best to quit being a robber), and when Skalle-Per later follows this up by telling Mattis that there are people who can make a living without having to steal.

I wonder what "The Secret" is? Also, did I hear Mattis call Borka "Borka-chan"?

**Edit - I just listened again. I swear he said "Borka-chan".
Mar 15, 2015 1:58 PM

Dec 2011
NEONdust said:
I wonder what "The Secret" is? Also, did I hear Mattis call Borka "Borka-chan"?

**Edit - I just listened again. I swear he said "Borka-chan".

It's in connection with the 'making a living without stealing' discussion, so can't be anything else but the one revealed by the end of the movie.

Yeah, Mattis did. I thought that was a way to insult someone?
Mar 15, 2015 2:50 PM
Jul 2018
I wonder what "The Secret." is?

A duel between Mattis and Borka is about to begin.
Mar 15, 2015 5:15 PM

Jul 2010
The middle ground between the two groups are much better, Mattis rescuing all robbers and Borka warning of the soldier's ambush.

Given two solutions, to give up being robbers or the two groups joins up. Still, hearing how Skalle-Per said that the soldiers would win at the end :/

Mattis staring into Borka like that and Borka getting the creeps, Mattis imagining the combined force and gets the chills xD

The duel does look like fun, the pv with that ear pulling. That special rule too lol.
Mar 15, 2015 11:31 PM
Feb 2015
SaneSavantElla said:
Yeah, Mattis did. I thought that was a way to insult someone?

Okay, that makes sense.

I'm glad it looks like those two are going to really punish each other. But presentation wise, on the one hand it makes sense to say the children can't watch the Wild Beast fight, but in reality children are watching the Wild Beast Fight.

Also, I like how only one "punch" had to be thrown between Ronja and Birk so that they both understand how important they are to each other. On the other hand, Adults make things this complicated. Mattis and Borka will bloody each other up, and they used to be friends when they were kids!
Mar 16, 2015 4:56 AM

Dec 2011
NEONdust said:
Okay, that makes sense.

I'm glad it looks like those two are going to really punish each other. But presentation wise, on the one hand it makes sense to say the children can't watch the Wild Beast fight, but in reality children are watching the Wild Beast Fight.

Also, I like how only one "punch" had to be thrown between Ronja and Birk so that they both understand how important they are to each other. On the other hand, Adults make things this complicated. Mattis and Borka will bloody each other up, and they used to be friends when they were kids!

Now that you mention it, the robbers do come off as childish... and indeed it looks like it was done on purpose. XD

That's some nice insight! But... that also makes me wonder how this applies to Lovis and Mattis (and if they do it the adult way, who ends up getting bloodied more? LOL)
Mar 16, 2015 5:58 AM
Feb 2015
They don't so much as come off as Childish, but it definitely seems they have complicated issues to work through before they can get to something simple. Mattis probably knew over the past winter that if he left things alone the Borka clan might starve to death, but instead of taking pity on them and helping them (Like Ronja with her uncomplicated way of thinking did) he just let things go. I find that adults are often like this. They have a lot of issues that get in the way of simple solutions. For instance, why is everyone insisting there has to be one leader of the larger group? Because they learned over time a way that things are done, and that gets in the way of simple solutions. Between Ronja and Birk it never once came up who was in charge. They just got busy living.
Mar 16, 2015 2:17 PM

Dec 2011
NEONdust said:
They don't so much as come off as Childish, but it definitely seems they have complicated issues to work through before they can get to something simple. Mattis probably knew over the past winter that if he left things alone the Borka clan might starve to death, but instead of taking pity on them and helping them (Like Ronja with her uncomplicated way of thinking did) he just let things go. I find that adults are often like this. They have a lot of issues that get in the way of simple solutions. For instance, why is everyone insisting there has to be one leader of the larger group? Because they learned over time a way that things are done, and that gets in the way of simple solutions. Between Ronja and Birk it never once came up who was in charge. They just got busy living.

Honestly I don't think Mattis even knew that they were starving, until spring, when Borka asked to share with the loot. XD I've always thought the story is partly about how children oftentimes make more mature choices than adults (and conversely). And it does that without coming off as too 'anti-adults' like a lot of other anime out there.

But I do believe that in general adults do complicate things (like how I am reading too much into this anime, for one :P).
Mar 16, 2015 5:29 PM

Jul 2011
Yup, children see everything in simple black and white. Why add grey?

Anyways, loved seeing Birk eating at Ronja's place. His expression when Lovis threw them out was funny. XD
Mar 16, 2015 5:34 PM
Feb 2015
SaneSavantElla said:

Honestly I don't think Mattis even knew that they were starving, until spring, when Borka asked to share with the loot. XD I've always thought the story is partly about how children oftentimes make more mature choices than adults (and conversely). And it does that without coming off as too 'anti-adults' like a lot of other anime out there.

But I do believe that in general adults do complicate things (like how I am reading too much into this anime, for one :P).

I think it's worth thinking about, as opposed to reading too much into it. It's already an axiom among writers that the reason for an adult choosing to write "Children's literature" is because they sense that adults loose something important when they grow up. It takes strength to admit that as an adult one makes stupid mistakes. Sometimes you have to say to yourself "This thing I used to believe isn't worth it anymore", like thinking of people as less than human, for instance. We like to pretend we don't do that and don't believe it, but we do all the time.
Mar 16, 2015 9:12 PM

Dec 2011
NEONdust said:
I think it's worth thinking about, as opposed to reading too much into it. It's already an axiom among writers that the reason for an adult choosing to write "Children's literature" is because they sense that adults loose something important when they grow up. It takes strength to admit that as an adult one makes stupid mistakes. Sometimes you have to say to yourself "This thing I used to believe isn't worth it anymore", like thinking of people as less than human, for instance. We like to pretend we don't do that and don't believe it, but we do all the time.

Of course it's worth it, else why would these discussions go on? :D
Exactly the point. Ask an adult to seriously think about this show and chances are they'll concoct something complex based on their accumulated experiences. Ask a child, and more likely you'll get one of two answers: 'fun' or 'boring'.

Whoops... did we just derail the thread? XD
Mar 17, 2015 5:33 AM
Feb 2015
SaneSavantElla said:

Of course it's worth it, else why would these discussions go on? :D
Exactly the point. Ask an adult to seriously think about this show and chances are they'll concoct something complex based on their accumulated experiences. Ask a child, and more likely you'll get one of two answers: 'fun' or 'boring'.

Whoops... did we just derail the thread? XD

No, we're still talking about the show, just in a complicated way is all :P
Mar 17, 2015 8:11 AM

Nov 2011
I so SERIOUSLY want more of Sanzoku no Musume Ronja.

Please tell me the original novel has more of when they're all older. I so want to see how the Borka and Mattis band of (the hawk) 'robbers' would be in the future.

Seeing the show go into town and show a different setting highly piqued my interest (reminded me of Berserk when they rescued Pelje, SHIT).
Mar 18, 2015 7:46 AM

Oct 2008
Teaming-up would be nice for the two factions because opposing sheriff soldiers would be troublesome.
But the wisdom of Skalle-per said that they could still live on not being robbers but he'll keep it a secret until Ronja comes of age and right time.
It looks like those two are still like kids...bad-mouthing/name calling with each other before the fight starts...haha this type of comedy amuses me. Every episode of Sanzoku is worth watching.
I doubt Mattis would win against Borka. He is very bad-mouthed arrogant that would cause him to loose to Borka even if both sides took a close beating with each other.
matias067Mar 18, 2015 7:50 AM

Mar 18, 2015 4:50 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I like Ronja's "cunning" idea about not being robbers anymore. Lol at everyone's shocked faces. At least Mattis did think about it instead of comoletely shutting the idea down. If this was near the beginning, he wouldn't have listened to Ronja I don't think. He's gotten much better, and he's starting to be able to compromise.

Ahh it's so nice to see Ronja and Birk running around and eating together at Mattis Fort ^^
May 16, 2015 6:45 PM

May 2012
Next episode is going to be interesting! Let' see what's next!
Jun 30, 2015 2:25 PM

Oct 2012
Wish they weren't moralizing so much. But at least duel seems interesting, finally something is happening.
Apr 19, 2018 10:49 AM

Feb 2017
SaneSavantElla said:
Even if the very title of the next episode, 'one strong band of robbers', does not spoil the outcome of the match, we know they're going to be one band by next ep
Maybe not the title, but the preview footage looked like it gave away the outcome

More topics from this board

» Studio ghibli, really?

TimetravelrN8 - Dec 15, 2017

7 by Raiseii »»
Feb 17, 4:36 AM

Poll: » Sanzoku no Musume Ronja Episode 26 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2015

43 by epidemia78 »»
Jul 2, 2022 1:15 PM

» Is this show good excluding the animation?

Supercuecaaa - May 30, 2020

1 by amarcioz »»
Aug 14, 2020 8:48 AM

Poll: » Sanzoku no Musume Ronja Episode 25 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2015

20 by eski514 »»
Apr 19, 2018 5:42 PM

Poll: » Sanzoku no Musume Ronja Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2015

36 by eski514 »»
Apr 19, 2018 10:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.