Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 28, 2015 3:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ooh, a bit of an emotional finale...at least for the first half.

It got more cherry for the second half though with the usual sensational laughter. And overall, I thought the series was pretty refreshing. It took me awhile to get used to the animation style but the story was very interesting. My favorite parts were the chemistry between Birk and Ronja when they were out alone during their adventure.

Glad to see a bit more of adventure in the finale as well between those two in the forest. Interesting how they played the theme song one last time as well at the end :>
Mar 28, 2015 12:54 PM

Dec 2014
Per!!!!! *cries* I saw it coming, but I cried anyway. First it was
now it's Skalle Per on Sanzoku no Musume Ronja. It seems my favorite anime characters this season are destined to bite the dust. *gloom*
Mar 28, 2015 4:24 PM

Dec 2011
I find it weirdly satisfying that even though Skalle Per died, this episode did not have too heavy an atmosphere, as if to drive home the idea that death is part of life. That he died in winter and everyone went back to their normal lives in spring hammers it down further.

That scene with baby Mattis is like the first episode all over again. I guess part of why it wasn't so sad was because it was full of nostalgic scenes with additions that make it a point to show how much things have changed (that additional guard in Wolf's Neck and that bridge over Hell's Gap LOL). It was fun seeing Birk joking around with the robbers, especially when he threw back Matt's comment of not seeing his red hair every day right back at him XD.

The show's over but I'll miss it and I don't think I'll ever forget it! (and now a headcanon sequel exists in my head with the subtitle 'the miner's daughter' :P)
Mar 30, 2015 10:23 AM
Feb 2015
Just a little bit sad here. Happy and sad at the same time. It hits home because there's impermanence in everything. Old people die, children grow up, and not matter how much we try to spend our lives wisely, life tends to lead you places you never thought you'd go. Whether life leads you to a little cave in the woods or to a computer animation company to make a throwback animated TV show.

Something I discovered reading an interview with Goro, apparently in Studio Ghibli they keep a bowl with some dice in it, because it symbolizes how each movie they make (or even each thing we do in life) is really a gamble. Now I can't help but think about the dice game and Skalle-Per always tossing those dice.

Awesome show. Can't wait to see what Goro Does next.
Mar 30, 2015 10:25 AM

Jul 2010
A wonderful ending indeed ;_;

It really was a powerful moment with Mattis already crying like that at the mere thought of Sakke-Per's death. To see it actually happen and with everyone crying, it felt warm in the sense that everybody was there to comfort each other in times of sadness. Beautifully sad would be what I call the first part.

It was nice to see Skalle-Per holding baby Mattis like that ^^, really showed their bond throughout the years.

The comedic moments never fails to connect! Skalle-Per holding onto Mattis like that, Mattis's reaction to it felt like he was getting sexual harassed!

Really liked the mood that I got from the ending. With Birk and Ronja giving the vibe of the endless joys that the forest has to offer. Everyone were just really enjoying their time! Going to miss this, the unique art style, the type of story it was, this was quite the wonderful anime!
Mar 30, 2015 11:18 AM
Jul 2018
It was sad to see that Skalle-Per passed away.
Mar 30, 2015 11:25 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Seeing Skalle-Per die and seeing everyone cry made me so depressed....I felt really bad for Mattis TwT

That was a good conclusion to such a wonderful series and I'm gonna miss it so much

7/10 Hearing Ronja's spring cry one last time really hit me in the kokoro
Mar 30, 2015 12:46 PM

Jun 2013
Nooo it is over. :( I'm curious what they bring us in the future. Ronja was imo a masterpiece every single episode.
Mar 30, 2015 1:48 PM

Mar 2014
Good adaptation + Nostalgia feels

A strong 7/10
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Mar 30, 2015 2:25 PM

Jun 2013
Nooo Skalle-Per. R.I.P
Nice ending to the show, I wouldn't mind seeing a 2nd season too.
Mar 30, 2015 2:59 PM
Aug 2011
I enjoyed this quite a lot.
Very simple, very charming.
Mar 30, 2015 7:04 PM

Jul 2011
SaneSavantElla said:
I find it weirdly satisfying that even though Skalle Per died, this episode did not have too heavy an atmosphere, as if to drive home the idea that death is part of life. That he died in winter and everyone went back to their normal lives in spring hammers it down further.

Yup, it was well done.

Good ending. I wish there was a bit more conclusion with driving out the bandits, but I still enjoyed the last episode. Birk and Mattis are even bantering now. ^^
Mar 30, 2015 8:43 PM

Jun 2008
I'm going to miss the show so much. It was my happy place.

8/10
Mar 30, 2015 9:28 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Mirorin said:
SaneSavantElla said:

Yup, it was well done.

Agreed, they were able to portray that idea extremely well. Still I cried because it was sad that Skalle Per passed away. Especially when he said that he liked it that way while waiting...He lived a good life, and he's had plenty of people by his side all the way through. The ending was really cute too, another spring and summer with Ronja and Birk living in the cave by themselves. Except this time, with the consent of their parents. Sad to see this show end because it was overall a fun and relaxing series.
Mar 30, 2015 10:33 PM
Mar 2013
Loved this show from beginning to end.

My time was well spent!
Mar 30, 2015 10:53 PM
Jul 2014
I'm going to cry from missing this show ;-;
Wonderful conclusion to a wonderful series. Even though Skalle-Per's death was sad, the fact that he lived a fulfilled life with all the characters was heartwarming. How they showed life moving on with the change of seasons and the spring shout was spectacular as well. I honestly didn't expect much going into a children's show, but I'm glad I gave it a try. 8/10 in my book.
Mar 31, 2015 12:40 AM
Jun 2013
I am truly going to miss this anime. I loved it so much. I enjoyed this all the way through. Beautiful ending.
Mar 31, 2015 4:05 AM
Feb 2015
Did anyone else notice that the OP they played at the end was in English?
Mar 31, 2015 6:07 AM

Jan 2013
The OP in English was out of place, but overall, the last episode was okay.
6-7/10.

Mar 31, 2015 6:07 AM

Aug 2009
So many memories from watching this in live action as a child growing up in Sweden.
Charming show though and though.
7/10
Mar 31, 2015 6:25 AM
Jan 2013
I will miss watching this anime every week. Solid 8/10 from me.
Mar 31, 2015 7:52 AM

Jan 2014
It was a really good run, though because this is the first CGI and a series from Studio Ghibli, I have had a hard time comparing it to their earlier work. The overall animation quality was great IMO, the beautiful atmospheric backgrounds were one of the things which i was able to recognize as studio Ghibli quality, the music too was great and emotional. Having never read the book by astrid lindgren (I have seen the movie) I do not know how well the adaption was, but ignoring that i found it lovely. The effort put into the eyes and how they changed instead of being static and emotionless was a big thing for me too, that is exactly how i want facial expressions in CGI, I hope similar approaches will be used in their future projects if they decide to do more 3D.

8/10.
Mar 31, 2015 10:07 AM
Oct 2014
my fave anime ever
I was sceptical at first cause the director had ruined earthsea witch was another book i loved as a kid.
Mar 31, 2015 11:29 AM

Sep 2013
i will miss Lovis most ♥
Mar 31, 2015 3:43 PM
Jul 2018
This anime had a great end and development of history, made ​​a perfect adaptation of the book Ronja Rövardotter of Astrid Lindgren,greet direction of Gorou Miyazaki

Skalle-Per The best pj ever! :( wise old man.
Mar 31, 2015 6:39 PM

Oct 2012
Such a nice ending
Apr 1, 2015 12:33 PM

Oct 2011
I loved this show... so simple and cute...
the first part of the episode was sad and heartwarming at same time...
Skalle-per had a good life and a calm end ..

I'll miss this anime
Apr 1, 2015 5:42 PM

Mar 2009
Poor Skalle-Per. That hurt. :(

I thought Ronja was a wonderful show from beginning to end. And unfortunately, seems like a lot of people missed out on it thanks to the reaction to the 3D CGI.
After a while, you really do get used to it. Same thing happened with Knights of Sidonia.

Overall, it was very relaxing and soothing, and because of that I always looked forward to watching an episode of Ronja every week.
Apr 3, 2015 9:16 AM
Feb 2015
What am I going to do tomorrow? There wont be another new episode?
Apr 4, 2015 2:42 AM

Dec 2014
NEONdust said:

Yes!!! I was wondering if they will use that version of the song for the OP of the English release.
Apr 4, 2015 4:25 AM
Feb 2015
What am I going to do tomorrow? There wont be another new episode?
AnnaSartin said:
NEONdust said:

Yes!!! I was wondering if they will use that version of the song for the OP of the English release.

I'm sure they would. I've been looking at a lot of Japanese news concerning this, and from everything I've read the show was a hit. The last episode was generating a ton of tweets, and a lot of people recommending their followers watch the rerun. In an interview Goro said his Father congratulated him on the show being well received. (although Goro wasn't certain the elder Miyazaki meant it as a compliment, an oblique reference to the use of CG, which He doesn't like). The Blu rays aren't selling in the top 20, but I wouldn't know if that matters if the ratings for the show are high.

Also, they haven't made it available for licensing outside of Japan at all, so it doesn't mean anything if there's no news of it being picked up. It's available officially no where else but in Japan. The localization for English is apparently being handled at the Ghibli US division, and I can imagine one thing that is a hold up will be the lipsyncing.
Apr 4, 2015 4:49 AM

Dec 2012
Absolutely staggering! I have never ever thought I would enjoy an anime with animated 3D CGI so much! Wow . . . The writing quality is superb, the characters are all likeable, & this one of the few anime shows that succeed at portraying a mother realistically. This would be a masterpiece if it were fully hand drawn & the pacing were a bit faster(just a tiny bit).

Nevertheless, 9/10. More Ghibli's TV series, please!
I like anime.
Apr 4, 2015 1:22 PM

Apr 2012
Goodbye Skalle-per. It was good seeing you younger and full of life.

So it ends, as everything does. Overall a pretty good run. Well done Ghibli, well done Gorou. Looking forward to your next series.
Apr 4, 2015 3:36 PM

Dec 2014
NEONdust said:
In an interview Goro said his Father congratulated him on the show being well received. (although Goro wasn't certain the elder Miyazaki meant it as a compliment, an oblique reference to the use of CG, which He doesn't like).

That makes me glad. I heard years ago that the elder Miyazaki was very critical of his son when he was doing Earthsea. I'm happy he's now being supportive of Goro's career. Ronja was a real gem and worthy of praise!
Apr 4, 2015 8:47 PM
Feb 2015
Report for the first rerun of the show says while the double special ran there were 55 tweets per minute about the show.
Apr 5, 2015 7:20 AM

Nov 2011
My chest ached
This is drama.

6/10
CG + too much laughing + English OP at the end
Apr 6, 2015 8:17 AM

Oct 2008
And it's over!
It was a very fun ride!
Noticed that Ronja and Birk jumped too long and too high on that rocky rivers?
Skalle-per died because of old age. But a was very fitting and satisfying death. Everyone mourned, especially Mattis! very depressed all winter, but began to cheer-up again on the start of spring.
So...that was the secret that Skalle-per told to Ronja...the silvers! (That was a good flashback by Skalle-per when he saved a little gray dwarf from the wild harpy. And as a token of thanks, the dwarf guided him to the secret cave as what Skalle-per whispered to Ronja)
Ronja & Birk wants to go back to their cave and both parents agreed, and must also come back from time to time.
Insert song was great! English version of OP!

Apr 7, 2015 7:49 AM

Apr 2008
(In a friggin fetal position)
8/10
Apr 10, 2015 11:54 AM

Nov 2007
Hey, younger Miyazaki made a good thing. Maybe he'll have a bright future after all.

I see they did lot of work to make 3D characters work seamlessly with hand drawn environment, but it still wasn't what it could've been. Even though the series was joy to watch from story, acting, color, etc. perspective, I wasn't really sold to the 3D in the end. It's way better than most attempts and most of the time quite harmless, but I think drawing the characters would've elevated this series to something bigger.

But it was great. Very nice adaption and well written.
May 16, 2015 7:30 PM

May 2012
I did not ask for all these feels, but damn did I liked this ending! Really lovely presented and quite open ended to make a possible sequel at any time! So all in all even with the unfitting CGI it was really lovely to watch and experience the story!
Jun 30, 2015 3:38 PM

Oct 2012
Hmm, what an uninspired ending.

Skalle-Per death was somehow obvious after previous episode but his advice wasn't actually anything good. So even after their big declaration in the last ep, nothing will change for them in the end. And Mattis sure was pathetic with his loud crying, it totally destroyed the mood.

But there is one more important thing that is big letdown for me. Just about every ghibli's movie had some overlapping theme and message so that even adults could enjoy it even if it was movie for kids. But Ronja is missing this, it was totally empty of ideas. Hell, even Ponyo was better than this. Yes, atmosphere, animation and vistas were there but that's not enough. We were left with childish would-be comedy that had some nice slice-of-life moments but in the end it was so slow it bored me almost everytime (and you know, that would be even worse for kids because their attention span is even shorter). Everytime I thought "This scene was good" I almost instantly reminded me of similiar, better scene from other movie Ghibli did before. And that's why this series can never shine on its own, it borrows too much but adds little of it own.

4/10 Nice try but I think even children won't be coming back to this series.
(I guess it would a lot better is those episodes were only half of their time long, 15 minutes or so)
Dec 3, 2015 3:53 AM

May 2009
What a great show overall, very fun to watch. Just right for kids too, teaches courage, fear, life and death. But what an amazing world Ghibli painted in this one, very interesting and alluring.
I won't comment on the story and negative things because, hey, it's a kids show :) I will appreciate it for what it is.

Imagine if it wasn't CG, would be even more beautiful.

7/10 for now. Always fun with Ghibli!
Apr 19, 2018 6:19 PM

Feb 2017
Good choice ending on Skalle-Per's death, just a natural conclusion to this story. And one last SPRING SHOUT from Ronja!
Jul 2, 2022 1:15 PM

Aug 2018
I have mixed feelings about this show. I went into it with certain expectations, waited and waited for the "adventure" to begin. Once I realized that was never going to happen, the way the plot unfolded convinced me it was going to end in tragedy. That never happened either.

MAL's tags are wrong. This story is not an adventure. Unless you consider a child running around in a forest "adventure". No, this is a slice of life anime that just happens to take place in a medieval fantasy world where monsters exist. Not that the monsters are important. Only three times during the entire 26 episodes did they present a problem for the aforementioned child running around the forest.

This might be one of the purest examples of slice of life anime I've seen yet. I suspect many people will find it extremely boring. Even though some sections seemed to drag a bit, the lovable cast, the comfy atmosphere and the occasional drama kept me invested to the end.

As for the CGI...well, even though the character models do sometimes look a bit stiff and awkward, it's not a deal-breaker. Traditional 2d animation would be ideal of course but I take a practical view of the matter: The characters are very lively and almost never stop moving. It would have cost an absolute fortune to animate this the traditional way so it makes perfect sense that they chose to use CGI instead.

All in all this is a fine show as long as you know what you're in for. It might be a bit over-long and slow paced but it's definitely worth a watch for SOL fans.

7/10

More topics from this board

» Studio ghibli, really?

TimetravelrN8 - Dec 15, 2017

7 by Raiseii »»
Feb 17, 4:36 AM

» Is this show good excluding the animation?

Supercuecaaa - May 30, 2020

1 by amarcioz »»
Aug 14, 2020 8:48 AM

Poll: » Sanzoku no Musume Ronja Episode 25 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2015

20 by eski514 »»
Apr 19, 2018 5:42 PM

Poll: » Sanzoku no Musume Ronja Episode 24 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2015

19 by eski514 »»
Apr 19, 2018 10:49 AM

Poll: » Sanzoku no Musume Ronja Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2015

36 by eski514 »»
Apr 19, 2018 10:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.